Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Word Wise Wiz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-word-wise-wiz.html
Latest Review: Coming Full Circle: Healing Trauma Using Psychedelics by Shannon Duncan

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Word Wise Wiz »

I would never expect others to read just because it is something close to my heart. Although my partner barely read any books before I came along, we now read to each other most evenings. It has become a shared passion without me ever having imagined it would become that. In fact, it was actually my partner who initiated reading together. When someone is very passionate about something in life, it often awakens curiosity in others. I have never asked others to join me on my reading journey, but they have often decided to do so all the same.
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

Yes I would date a guy who doesn't read as long as they are smart. There got to be something to draw me to them.
Elizabeth McNutt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-mcnutt.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Realms Coloring Book by Carolina Mattos Alvarado and Steven A Ridder
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Elizabeth McNutt »

Probably not as I need at least an hour of quiet reading time of an evening. A non-reader would have a hard time with that due to the quietness and my tendency to lose track of time in a good read.
Elizabeth McNutt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-mcnutt.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Realms Coloring Book by Carolina Mattos Alvarado and Steven A Ridder
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Elizabeth McNutt »

Probably not as I need at least an hour of quiet reading time of an evening. A non-reader would have a hard time with that due to the quietness and my tendency to lose track of time in a good read.
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Yes absolutely, to a degree I think it is healthy to have depressed hobbies when you’re in a relationship. There should also be shared hobbies and activities as well. My wife very rarely reads a book but we often are doing steerage hobbies together when I’m reading. She is an artist and loves to paint and it is not uncommon for her to paint and me to read sat next to each other. I also sleep much less than her and reading on my phone is very easy to in the evenings or mornings without disturbing her.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Lydia Stephen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-stephen.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Lydia Stephen »

Well yes I could I could always do other things aside from reading
Myrah Kay
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myrah-kay.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Myrah Kay »

Yes, I would. Love is a beautiful thing😊😊 but one thing that is for sure is I will influence him to join me in Reading.
Nia Nuru
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nia-nuru.html
Latest Review: Vandella by M. Ch. Landa

Post by Nia Nuru »

Sure as long as they know not to disturb me when i don't want to be disturbed and be left reading in peace :)
AnInternationalMountainMan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aninternationalmountainman.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature, second edition by Chet Shupe

Post by AnInternationalMountainMan »

I am quite privileged; my partner reads a lot. However, I know I'd still date her if she didn't read. I am aware that considering the dwindling number of active readers in my generation (2004-2005), I am lucky that I even found someone who reads. I could however not date anyone who couldn't think rationally or who couldn't form their own opinion. Reading isn't a must however they should be able to read. The fact that the individual might not have time, doesn't enjoy, or just doesn't connect with reading books on a regular basis is not at all a deal-breaker. I am aware that not everyone might have the same connection with reading as I do.
Rachelle Anaïs Scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelle-ana-s-scott.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by Rachelle Anaïs Scott »

Each person is unique and develops their interests and hobbies. The beauty of sharing time with someone is that they are excited to show you their world, the same way I am excited to show them mine. Our individuality makes our experiences together special.
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

I would want someone to discuss certain books with. Books also help people be open minded and expand their knowledge so, for me, is a no.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

RachelleAScott wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 11:23 Each person is unique and develops their interests and hobbies. The beauty of sharing time with someone is that they are excited to show you their world, the same way I am excited to show them mine. Our individuality makes our experiences together special.
Nice thinking there. I 100℅ agree with that. After all, we're not God to design people's lifestyles.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Malguri
Favorite Book: We Are A Voulhire
Currently Reading: Tenth of December
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Malguri »

I really think we could and maybe you know give them a good habit of reading a book. It feels good when people ask you for recommendations in things you excel at. Makes you feel proud I guess?
Curtis Jefferson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
2024 Reading Goal: 104
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Curtis Jefferson »

I wouldn't need the person I date to be an active/avid reader. But I would likely have some questions if they were completely averse to reading without some good reason/backstory/explanation...
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Sarah Zain »

I agree with the idea that every person has something that distinguishes him, and if you choose a person, you should love him because of the advantages that he possesses, and not what you want him to be. One of the things that I hate the most is people who try to change their partners into a form that they like. For me, it is a lack of respect for the other party.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”