Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: The Natural Guard by Michael L. Chapla

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Isaac Oh »

My vocabulary and use of diction has improved since I started reading. My creativity level has also improved. Reading takes one to another realm.
Ashley Price 3
Favorite Book: Home Body
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-price-3.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose

Post by Ashley Price 3 »

I love reading to be lost in a different world. I also love reading to learn new things whether that's by reading a non-fiction or even a historical fiction.
joe mulabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-mulabi.html
Latest Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Post by joe mulabi »

Reading keeps me busy than staying idle(the devils workshop) and more importantly learning new things and hav e broad knowledge on life itself.
Dalene Fourie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalene-fourie.html
Latest Review: The Tome of Syyx by Stavros Saristavros
Reading Device: pc

Post by Dalene Fourie »

I read to relax, enhance my knowledge and have material to discuss with my students. But my husband say I don't read but study a book as I read with my dictionary at hand. I read in general up to 250 books per year. All genres, and of course a cup of coffee at hand. I love the smell of a new book. If its captivating, I read in 2-3 days a long pager. Being in South Africa we endure load-shedding a lot, meaning we go some days without electricity for up to 6 hours a day. No tv no internet and nothing else but a good book.
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” - George R. R. Martin
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

I like reading because as opposed to movies, you can actually feel what the other characters are going through. When I was reading "Anna Karenina" I could actually feel myself be part of that classical Russian era with all the princes and drama, and tragedy. Movies are just plain action, while books are romantic
Chinedu Nwakaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedu-nwakaji.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Chinedu Nwakaji »

When I read, I learn new things and my mind is opened to limitless possibilities. Reading is a very vital ingredient for success because that is where you can find the things other successful people do to become what they are today.
Junior Gesuka 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Junior Gesuka 1 »

The mere presence of books is not magically transformative. “The question is, I take a child who’s not doing very well in school, and I put 300 books in their house—now what happens?,” Willingham said. “Almost certainly the answer is, not a lot. So what is it? Either what are people doing with those books, or is this sort of a temperature read of a much broader complex of attitudes and behaviors and priorities that you find in that home?”

It is almost tautological to observe that being a reader sets a child up for academic success, since so much of school is reading. And that means-to-an-end argument in support of reading says nothing of the many joys it can bring. But even though plenty of people simply don’t enjoy reading (or have trouble enjoying it, possibly because of a learning or attention disorder), it’s a vital skill. It may be dispiriting that people have little, if any, say over many of the predictors of whether they or their children will be readers, but thankfully, there are also a number of other factors that are within people’s control.

As Willingham explains in his book Raising Kids Who Read, three variables have a lot of influence over whether someone becomes a lifelong reader. First, a child needs to be a “fluent decoder,” he told me—that is, able to smoothly “go from print on the page to words in the mind.” This is something that schools teach, but parents can help with it by reading to and with their kids—especially when that reading involves wordplay, which particularly helps kids with the challenge of identifying the “individual speech sounds” that make up a word
Taxel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Taxel »

I actually don't know. I feel this is such an existential question for me :shock2:
I guess I just like stories? When I play video games I also prefer the ones with in-depth story and lore. I guess I just love exploring different worlds. It's also something you can do wherever and you don't bother anyone. It is a nice quiet hobby you can take literally anywhere you go.
I know why I love reading classic literature though - it is because I love to know all the jokes and topics. I love seeing a reference and knowing what is means and where it is from, I love watching movies and pointing out (to myself because it would probably annoy everyone else to no end) old cliches that Shakespeare wrote about and so :) It's fun! The classic literature community is actually very funny bunch of people
Ol Yinks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ol-yinks.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ol Yinks »

I love autobiographies and crime fiction novels the most.
I also enjoying adventure novels.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

I like reading because it allows me to live relate to others on a personal scale. Also I can learn from the best and worst choices that people made without experiencing it on my own.
Book Review Tub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-review-tub.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Book Review Tub »

Reading helps me lose myself in a new world each time. Every time I pick up a book, I prepare my mind for a new adventure.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

I love to read because it allows me a temporary escape from everything. Reading is a blessing that opens doors of possibilities. I feel smarter when I learn new vocabulary words.
Yasmyna Feraru
Favorite Book: The Catcher in the Rye
Currently Reading: Jack frusciante è uscito dal gruppo
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Yasmyna Feraru »

I remember someone saying that the person who doesnt live only lives one time, while readers get to experience hundreds or thousands lifetimes in the same period of time. And i live by that
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

I love how you can just disconnected from where you are an be teleported into a story . Amazing feeling! 💛

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”