Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
brena014
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by brena014 »

I think I could because if they don't want to read, but is interested in what I'm reading, it could be a great topic to talk about
Ammarah Azhar Khan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammarah-azhar-1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Ammarah Azhar Khan »

No, because the mindset of a reader and a non-reader differ tremendously. their thinking process, values, understanding level, and overall outlook on life are different.
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

I feel like people who read are at the very least exposed to a wider variety of topics and ideas, if not interested/invested in them. They tend to be more knowledgeable and probably more intellectually curious. There are some people who don't read or read very little but watch documentaries, educational Youtube videos, etc. that are similar. I doubt I could date someone who didn't enjoy learning new things on a regular basis.
Ashley Price 3
Favorite Book: Home Body
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-price-3.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose

Post by Ashley Price 3 »

That's an interesting question! I think I would but they would have to understand that I love to read and be able to be talking about a book or explain book references to them.
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Leslie Kunde »

NEVER again! Years ago I dated a man that thought reading the headlines (not the articles mind you) counted as being well read. If he had to read more than that he got bored. We could not talk about world events or the latest novels. He could dance like a dream and cook like a pro, but he was boring to me. He is now married to a friend of mine. They are happy together but, sadly she no longer reads anything.
noelhope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelhope.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by noelhope »

I think I could date someone that does not read. Just as long as they have a way of learning new things. They should also have an idea of what is happening in the world.
marko baranasic
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marko-baranasic.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by marko baranasic »

Ofc yes, just bc u read book it doesent make u smart.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: The Natural Guard by Michael L. Chapla

Post by Isaac Oh »

I can but I wouldn't expect you to make grammatical errors cos I've been wired to detect them.
nehal hegazy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nehal-hegazy-1.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson

Post by nehal hegazy 1 »

I think it depends, a partner who reads will be able to easily talk about deep topics. But I think anyone can do that through other educational outlets. Youtube alone offers more than enough knowledge. I just care that I’m not dating someone who does not share my interests.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

I doubt that I could ever date someone that doesn't read at all, because I like to be intellectually challenged in a relationship. I feel like I would dumben myself down if I were to be constantly around someone that doesn't want to grow at all.
joe mulabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-mulabi.html
Latest Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Post by joe mulabi »

Of course I can, Love is natural and is beyond school knowledge, ad besides reading is something anyway can learn and I can teach her.
Lexie Price 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexie-price-2.html
Latest Review: Self-Help Sucks! by Tony Blankenship

Post by Lexie Price 2 »

I would like to date someone who reads, just because I think it would be nice to be able to bond over that shared hobby, but at the end of the day, it's not the only thing I enjoy and not the only way we could connect, so it's not a total dealbreaker for me. Reading can be emotionally draining, and I know there are some people (whether with dyslexia or ADHD, for instance) who face unique challenges with it, so I would never want to judge anyone or write them off for that.
Chinedu Nwakaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedu-nwakaji.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Chinedu Nwakaji »

When it comes to dating, I have other criteria I check out for instead of that of being an avid lover of books or a reader. Being a reader is less important to me and yes, I can date a girl who doesn't read.
Taxel

Post by Taxel »

I don't think I could, to be honest. They don't have to read a lot, they don't have to consider themselves to be a "reader" or love books, but if the person never reads then they simply would not understand me. Plus, I know it's somewhat stereotypical, but I feel like their imagination just wouldn't be attractive to me.
Also people who treat books badly - brrrrrr stay away :hand:
Ol Yinks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ol-yinks.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ol Yinks »

People who read are more intelligent and knowledge than people who detest reading. I love intelligent people so I can't date someone who doesn't read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”