Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
josephinemmarsh
Currently Reading: Dutch Girl
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re:

Post by josephinemmarsh »

knightss wrote: 09 Jan 2007, 15:18 mm i think i could but they'd have to understand that i enjoy reading and that i read in my spare time. there are more things that can be discussed than just books. this is kind of hypocritical though because most of the people i choose to associate with read books and are able to hold better conversations than "how was your day?" and "did you see such-and-such tv show last night".. intellectual conversations are much better than mindless dribble.
I totally agree! I think I just need to have an intellectual connection with someone to make sure it works. It doesn't necessarily need to be from reading but at least being able to have deeper conversations.
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

I wouldn't. We'd be incompatible in almost everyway because chances are she wouldn't be an introvert nor a bibliophile. Chances are she'd be the "club girl".
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

I can date someone who doesn't enjoy reading as much as I do. There are many things we can both enjoy doing that doesn't involve reading
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

I am married so I can’t relate to dating. But, my husband hates to read and I feel he gets annoyed when I talk about my books and stories.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

I don't have a problem with dating someone that doesn't read. I believe reading is something that comes off naturally. I've loved reading since I was little, which became one of my interests. My partner may have other interests that isn't reading, and I may not like them. But if we share similar interests which isn't reading, then it's fine too.
Rica Singh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rica-singh.html
Latest Review: visiting With An Angel by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by Rica Singh »

I'm married to someone who doesn't read. The mere thought of a book makes him want to sleep! Lol! But he enjoys listening to me when I recount to him the story of the books I read. Does that count as him reading? lol.
Gabija Ticho
Favorite Book: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabija-ticho.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabija Ticho »

I believe I could, but that person must be at least watching educational videos!
Asadun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by Asadun »

That's tough question, I can't imagine not liking to read. It really depends on the person. Most people already think I am weird for loving to read novels. But as I said earlier it depends on the person as long as she does not hamper me from reading and encourages my children I could probably date her.
Stephen Ogunwale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeyemi-stephen.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Stephen Ogunwale »

I don’t think I can ever do that and that’s on par, as much as we all might have our limitations, not knowing how to read and not wanting to learn how to, shouldn’t be allowed in this present age. Not wanting to read even when you can is sth I can’t condone. Like they say, different strokes for different folks.
Valar Morghulis, Valar Dohaerys. 🦅⚓🖤
Shenila Ginabay
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shenila-ginabay.html
Latest Review: That's what Ed said by U A Dumas

Post by Shenila Ginabay »

Well, I could and I did. My ex didn't like to read at all. But my husband loves reading and I can say, it's really great being with someone who likes it because you have so much to share.
Sseatvet1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sseatvet1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sseatvet1 »

This is a great question:) Yes, I can date someone who doesn't read. I am glad my partner appreciates my love for books and I read at night while he works. I would not be able to have a partner who had any issues with me reading in the morning and evening.
James330
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by James330 »

Definitely, it's fine if she's fine
NorwegianBookGirl
Currently Reading: Ela Green and the Kingdom of Abud
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by NorwegianBookGirl »

I definitely think I could date someone who doesn't read, as long as they are still reflecting human beings. One of the things I love the most about books is the discussions and thoughts around them. If I can get this from a partner, without it regarding a book, then that is completely fine by me. With interesting discussions and an interest in important subjects, I am willing to let the lack of reading slide. Of course, I am still very intrigued by readers, and would love to date one. However, it is no deal breaker :)
Kami Dever
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kami Dever »

No I love to read they have to love to read also.
Paul Kabugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-kabugi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Paul Kabugi »

An interesting question. As someone who reads, I tend to have a book with me during most of my free time. Dating someone who doesn't read would be a pity cause who am I supposed to rant to when my favourite character does something stupid that's obviously going to get them killed? And who am I supposed to argue with about whose favourite book is better? In short, I don't mind being in a relationship with someone who doesn't read, merely, I feel it'd be much more interesting being with someone of my kind.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”