What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kanika Tandon
Currently Reading: Of winners and losers
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanika-tandon.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Kanika Tandon »

I read Unlight by Chandra Shekhar and I rated it 3 out of 4 stars. Although it's a unique book with apocalyptic plotline there were few things about it I didn't like, hence the rating.
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

I just finished The Fox by M. N. J. Butler. It was an insightful peek into the time of ancient Greece and the live of one of the greatest men in Greek history, Leotychide. But readers might be put off, as I was, by a ton of narrative techniques used by the author, hence I gave it 2 out of 4 stars
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 756
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 41: Lasher by Anne Rice. The story got a lot better when Rowan got knocked out. But hey, nothing lasts forever.
This time I think that Rice could not finish all the connections of the plot and subplots and, therefore, the ending seemed rushed and full of holes. Although it also influences how he decided to explain the Elizabethan origins of the monster, which seemed extravagant, incoherent and a bit prejudiced if we get too moralistic.
By the way, in addition to the normalization of pedophilia and incest among the Mayfairs, which by themselves are hard to tolerate, the constant rapes and disgusting descriptions of excrement or birth really grossed me out. I suppose that the author does not have a good concept of motherhood, but even to me who is not attracted to the idea at all, it seemed too much.
All in all, I didn't think it was a good ending. So the next book will surely correct this. Although after this book, I'm going to give myself a good break before reading the next one. 3/5
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace, a Historical Fiction book, which was kind of interesting and deserves a rating: 4 of 4
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

I just read the much talked about book, Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas. Boy, I had high hopes for it and it more than exceeded my expectations. I gave it a 3 out of 4 stars because of some grammar errors. But beyond that, the book was really great
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 42: All The Light We Can Not See by Anthony Doerr. A fairly simple story actually, but due to the change in perspective, time and the mini-extension of its chapters, it gets tangled up in some parts if you don't pay attention. So read it with this precaution in mind and you'll be fine.
The author manages to make us fall in love with the characters, so it inspires nostalgia to read the last page and say goodbye to them. That is why I thought it was a good work, despite having to read it warned against the attempt to mislead us with the disorder of his chapters.
I have nothing against non-lineal stories, but I felt that this one did not flow in that sense, so more than a circumstance of the story, it seemed like a forced inclusion of the author to make it more interesting.
The story didn't need it, in my opinion. 4/5
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 43: Pygmalion by Arthur Bernard Shaw. A humorous satire of social differences in 19th century England. The characters are expressive, from the die-hard Professor Higgins, to the poor flower girl Dolittle, they demonstrate the character of the people they represent and the thin thread that separates one class from another.
I thought it was a funny and entertaining work, with an important background theme. It would be totally worth seeing it on theater once again. 5/5
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

The Elephant Tooth of '95: An enchanting story of Family, Love and new Beginnings rated 4 out of 4.
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 44: The Children's Hour by Lillian Hellman. My only complaint is that it was very short (j). Don't read this if you feel repulsed by children. This work will only increase it.
The theme deals with homophobia, in this case towards two young teachers who are at the mercy of the lies of their students, lead by a big liar, capricious, and manipulative little girl. As they rightly state about her in the play, that girl is really sick. Although within his character, I have to commend how well built she is. Causes real repulsion.
The tragedy of not accepting oneself is also a very powerful theme in the play, making the reader feel sorry for the protagonists after the final confession.
So I thought it was a good short but powerful play. 4/5
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 45: Aura by Carlos Fuentes. Evocative. A dark story like its environments with clear gothic descriptions that reveal the mysteries of the house and its unlikely inhabitants little by little.
Felipe, the main character, could also be taken as a being invoked by the magic of the house in the end, product of the ceremony with the male goat or perhaps a previous ritual. There are many interpretations for this story and its symbols.
It's very short, and the second-person narration is very easy to follow as well. Recommended for all fans of suspense. 5/5
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

I just finished The Hip Shot by Michael L. Miller. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. It was an amazing book centered around crime resolution, misogyny and unraveling mystery.
Gabija Ticho
Favorite Book: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabija-ticho.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabija Ticho »

The last book I read is The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.
Asadun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by Asadun »

The last book I read was
Something wilder by Christina Lauren
I rate this book 4/4 .
Stephen Ogunwale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeyemi-stephen.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Stephen Ogunwale »

The last book I read was killing Abel by Michael Tieman and I rated the book a big 10 out of 10. The book was indeed an eye opener, though fictional, it deserved to be rated that much.
Valar Morghulis, Valar Dohaerys. 🦅⚓🖤
Shenila Ginabay
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shenila-ginabay.html
Latest Review: That's what Ed said by U A Dumas

Post by Shenila Ginabay »

The last book I read was Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas, and I rate it 4 out of 5. It's a great book because it follows social issues like racism, domestic abuse and depression.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”