Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Emmy page
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmy-page.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Emmy page »

I read to sharpen, expand and refine my understanding of life. The depiction of lived or imagined experiences provide authentic insights into the nature and conditions of our existence. The experience of human kind is that reading furnishes such understanding and illuminates some aspect of human behavior that we can relate to.
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

Maybe because I do not care for social events right? Or let's see, maybe I prefer to explore the world via books...any which way, I just love to read!! :techie-reference:
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

Reading has always helped me feel at ease, and I really like experimenting with different genres. I enjoy testing the boundaries that different authors set for themselves, regardless of the topic or area of interest. It has unquestionably improved my intellectual and knowledge levels.
Asare Stephen 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Asare Stephen 1 »

I love reading because they are just like conversations; you never know how they are gonna turn out. some are old and familiar like a life-long best friend, some are new and exciting, some utterly bore you, some stimulate or anger you, some are thought provoking, some are like those friends you party with (great for distraction, useless for any depth).

but i think the best ones are the ones that stay with you always, whether you read them once or a hundred times. like when you meet a great person and you stay up the entire night talking... thats what reading a truly great book feels like to me
Stormy76
Currently Reading: Ignite
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Stormy76 »

I love to read because it can take you to places you probably would not get to go to. I like all kinds of books, but fantasy or YA seem to be my go to! They help me drift away from mundane life into fantasy worlds.
Pabalelo Mosima
Currently Reading: Goods & Effects
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabalelo-mosima.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Pabalelo Mosima »

Reading is like an escape from reality. It allows me to travel all around the world without packing a bag or even leaving the house. It is therapy.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

"An empty mind is the devil's workshop" they say. To acquire knowledge and keep the mind growing I deep myself in an imaginary world, a world of possibilities to escape this harsh unforgiving world of reality. Reading ends loneliness.
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

Watching movies are cool but reading is awesome. It is an escape from reality. You delve into the mind of characters and sometimes the author, all their experiences are now yours. You can imagine the setting in your own mind. An author can describe the same setting to multiple people and each person will perceive it differently. Reading is so adventurous and eye opening. It is relaxing and just amazing overall.
Beatrice Ochieng
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrice-ochieng.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Beatrice Ochieng »

I like reading to learn and to be challenged hence nonfiction, to be intrigued hence mystery, and to actually relax. I find reading therapeutic :)
Connor Farrell
Currently Reading: The Art of Public Speaking
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-connor-farrell.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by Connor Farrell »

Because reading can take you places that you could never physically go.
K_Monroe04
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by K_Monroe04 »

I've always been a firm believer that anyone could love reading, as long as they read the right book. But for me, I truly enjoy reading because it immerses me into someone else's world. Depending on what book I read, I can learn of their friends, foes, tragedies, and comedies. Even their deepest thoughts and fears are being shared with me, the reader. The best part about it all, is that in some way or other I can always find a way to connect with the characters.
Raquel Mudryk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-mudryk.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Raquel Mudryk »

It is an escape for sure. I suffer from depression and have my whole life, every few years I find a new outlet to escape my depression and reality. Not that my life is that terrible compared to some, but if I don't feel like unpacking my emotions or dealing with my trauma I pick up a book to take my mind off of the now. When I write it out like that it sounds completely unhealthy but I can confidently say that when things start feeling overwhelming the best thing I can do is just remove myself from the situation and come back to it when I'm in the right mindset. Books have helped me do that, so I love them.
Tiffany Hertel
Favorite Book: The Brightest Night
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108

Post by Tiffany Hertel »

I like reading instead of watching TV because I feel like I'm in there world. I'm not just reading words, I'm seeing it play out and it's all a movie in my head. It makes me laugh out makes me cry it's a emotional rollercoaster in my hand not on the TV screen. It even takes me away from whatever is going on in life for a little bit. That's why I like to read.
Khushi V
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushi-v.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Khushi V »

Because it takes one to some land. A place that gives peace. Nothing can beat this feeling of reading and get involved in characters.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

I love reading not like. I read fictional books to shift my focus from reality and to abide in the author's imagination, a character's world.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”