Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Juliet Johnson
Currently Reading: Functional Dysfunction
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-johnson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Juliet Johnson »

I could totally date a person that do not like reading. My ex was so amazed I loved reading and was curious to know what I read but was to lazy to pick a book himself.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Of course. My partner doesn't like reading and on the rare occasion that he does, he only reads non-fiction (I absolutely can't stand non-fiction) and we've been together for nine years. I'm a firm believer in the 'opposites attract' idea, and honestly, it just makes things interesting between us because we always give each other a brief summary of the books we've read and then we dissect them based on the summary.
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Post by Danielle Briggs »

I could as long as they don't have a problem with me liking to read. It's not a bad thing to have separate interests and allows you to do your own thing every once in a while!
Whitney 1593
Currently Reading: Bar Maid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Whitney 1593 »

I really don't have a problem dating someone that does not read but I'll most definitely influence the person to start reading.
Ayomide Solomon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ayomide Solomon »

As we already know that "passion varies" so, I think I could date someone who doesn't read but there has to be an understanding between us when am indulged in a book (although it could be annoying sometimes)
Sarah Post
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sarah Post »

Hmmm Thats a good question. I think I could. I have,granted the conversation is limited ,there are still things to talk about. I won't count someone out because it's just not their thing. :arrow: :mrgreen: :liar:
angelbhengu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbhengu.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by angelbhengu »

Yes I would. As long as they are open minded and are not against using their brain.
Hiba K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Hiba K »

Well,most of the guys I have met rarely reads and I can probably day my husband now started to read cause of my constant nagging,
😁😁it's impossible for me to keep my mouth shut once I finish a new book
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

Most likely not. I gravitate to being what is a 'sapoisexual', intellect and intelligence in others is what attracts me to them. so, let's scratch the 'likely' part, and just plainly say 'No, I couldn't'.
Brittany LaPour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Does it Sound Like When You Change Your Mind?
Bookshelf Size: 2329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-lapour.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B07F7TLZF4

Post by Brittany LaPour »

I'm currently dating someone who doesn't read (or at least didn't read.) He has always been a massive supporter of my reading and books, so it's never really bothered me. I grew up in a family where half of us read, and the other half didn't, and no matter what I did, I couldn't get the non-book readers to read. I've recently moved in with my boyfriend, and he built me an entire library and loves that I read even though he's not a reader. As time goes on, though, I've noticed him pick up more books and try and read audiobooks simply because I read. When you're around someone who often does something, I think it becomes romanticized, and the other person becomes curious about how I can spend hours and hours reading a book. He has started mainly reading non-fiction books, but I think eventually I can get him into some fantasy. I love the guy, and even if he didn't read, I think I would be okay with it.
Rachel Kubus
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Currently Reading: Soundless
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-kubus.html
Latest Review: Acts of Hope by Martin Elsant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Rachel Kubus »

I have and it didn’t work out because I find people that don’t read, also don’t have a lot of intellectual drive. Reading takes commitment and reflection and growth which are key things that I value, so when I found a partner who loved to read, I married him.

My husband reads mostly non-fiction while I read fiction, but we are able to appreciate that we both want to learn and grow in knowledge and imagination. I’m attracted to a persons brain over their brawn.

#IMHO
Scott wrote: 09 Jan 2007, 15:00 Could you date someone who doesn't read? I don't mean someone who can't read, but someone who chooses to read almost nothing, and who almost never reads a book. Could you get into a romantic relationship with such a person?

I doubt that I could. I could never get emotionally close to a person who doesn't read books, mainly because we could never discuss a specific book, and the person would never be able to take any of my recommendations let alone make any recommendations of their own to me.

(This is nothing that's happening to me right now, just a random hypothetical that I've been pondering when I can't sleep at night and such. :wink: )
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

Where I stay there is not much of a reading culture. So it would be pretty difficult to meet a guy that loves books.
dinotoria
Currently Reading: The Valley and the Flood
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by dinotoria »

Even with people who read there are so many different kinds of preferences that go into stuff, so I don't think it would ever be an issue for me. Bonding with someone over books is a benefit for sure, but assumedly there would be other compatibilities anyway. My partner doesn't really read traditional books, but he reads manga and graphic novels and plays a lot of very text heavy video games, which I count as well. He appreciates good storytelling and imagination and that's what I'm looking for in books, so we mesh well there.
VeeBookLover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veebooklover.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by VeeBookLover »

I wouldn't mind it. There are still plenty of things that we can have in common and even with reading, it doesn't have to be so black and white. They can still enjoy some books, just not as many as I do.
Joy Swanepoel
Favorite Book: Dread Tribunal of Last Resort
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-swanepoel.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Joy Swanepoel »

I married a man who did not read but he never stopped me. I still enjoyed my reading and other hobbies which he occasionally helped me with. There is a lot more to a person than reading and although he was not very much into books he had an incredible amount of knowledge in living and caring for people and animals. He did read recipe books and cooked very well.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”