Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Vanessa Rivera 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-rivera-1.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Vanessa Rivera 1 »

I would definitely date someone who doesn't read as long as they don't make it seem like a weird thing. I would also love the opportunity to turn him into a book worm. :lol:
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

Oh that would be difficult but I think I can make it work as long as they constantly listen to me tell stories I read.
Smriti Sawal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smriti-sawal.html
Latest Review: My Living Will by John Trautwein
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Smriti Sawal »

I won't mind that as long as he understands my passion for reading and supports it
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

I personally think I would mind a little bit. I like to see readers as intellectuals, who have vast understanding of several different things. I also think we have interesting minds and can hold meaningful conversations. How do I cope with you if you can’t live up to these attributes?🥲. I’d feel like I’d be dating a dummy 🥲
Judy_Jemutai7
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-jemutai7.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Judy_Jemutai7 »

Yes I would, as long as I find them interesting and fun in other aspects.
Book Huntress
Currently Reading: Fallen Thief
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-huntress.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Book Huntress »

It depends on how he views people who read. But it is better if he does read.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

Yep. I could keep annoying them until they pick up a book eventually but I don't think it's possible to find someone who never reads. Like if they don't read they could find other choices like listening to audiobooks.
“Just keep swimming.”
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

I did, but he was much younger than me and looking gorgeous...However, it couldn't have lasted even in better circumstances. I met him 20 years after, still hasn't read a thing but he is a prosperous businessman while I am still a poor teacher who spends all her free time doing what she likes most- reading.
Che Sparrowbosa
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-che-sparrowbosa.html
Latest Review: Provoked To Anger by Cheray Gardison

Post by Che Sparrowbosa »

I definitely can and I have. At the end of the day reading is a hobby like to your significant other it may be video games and we don't have to have the same hobbies. What is important though is that they understand your love for reading and when you get excited about a book they are happy to hear about it and get engaged in it with you because you make it sound interesting to them. You never know you may get that person into reading and that'll be a great thing.
Manalee Ghadi
Currently Reading: The Promise
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manalee-ghadi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Manalee Ghadi »

A person who's well-read is always good at conversations I feel. I do not have a lot of friends, but my closest friends are voracious readers. It's just something that we all have in common and are proud of our bookshelf sizes. :techie-studyinggray:
sierra_stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sierra-stars.html
Latest Review: Tinman by Karen Black

Post by sierra_stars »

I definitely couldn't... my current S.O. and I talk books all the time, and make references to them. I don't think I could lose such a large conversation topic, especially when I love to go on about books I've just read.
Latest Review: Tinman by Karen Black
Komal Soni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-komal-soni.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Komal Soni »

Yes, I could. In fact, quite a few of the men I've dated so far have not been big on reading. As some of the ladies have pointed out further up on this thread, it's not easy coming upon a man who enjoys reading. However, all the friendships I've struck up thus far have been with people who read. I suppose friendships last a lifetime, whereas relationships often come with an expiry date (cynical much? :wink:). I've had other things in common with the men I've dated - similar taste in music or movies, the same world-view, a combined love for travel and nature, and so on. So we had more than enough to chat about during our time together. And it's not as if I was banned from discussing books with them - I could and did, and they always had their own unique viewpoint to add to mine. The only thing that I could perhaps not discuss with them was the style of writing - but I could always turn to my friends for that. All things considered, though, a partner who reads as well as has other interests in common with me, would definitely qualify as the complete package.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

Books are part of my life, and I can't take this idea seriosly. Someone who has read many books is a much more interesting person than someone who doesn't like to read. I can't imagine talking every day to someone who doesn't like books.
elouie44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elouie44 »

I think I could. Definitely depends on the person though. As long as they have something they're passionate about, I think that'd be enough for me. And also they'd have to listen to all my banter about books. When you ask this question I think of Percy and Annabeth from the Percy Jackson series, because they are literally the best pair ever, and Annabeth was extremely studious while Percy was not. I think in this way they balanced each other out. However I do wonder if Annabeth was ever fed up with him, and not being able to discuss more intellectual ideas with him.
Matthew Newport
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by Matthew Newport »

Reading is more of an independent activity for me, so my partner doesn't have to read. But the couple of times I've gotten my husband to read the same book as me has been great.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”