Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Holly Fleming »

I've found that most people that claim they don't like to read change their minds once they find a genre they enjoy. It would be challenging to date someone who hated reading all books. We would definitely need to have other hobbies in common.
Esther11
Favorite Book: The Shining
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther11.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Esther11 »

I believe I could as long as he or she I respects my love for reading. I have book clubs to discuss about the books. So not being able to discuss together wouldn’t be much of a problem.
Rose Popie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-popie.html
Latest Review: The Binding Stone by Liz D. Marx

Post by Rose Popie »

Not at all. Knowledge is power and if he doesn't read, how will he learn about life and people's experiences who say their heart out through writing books?
Sara chhawniwala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-chhawniwala.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Sara chhawniwala »

I always used to thinking that I will be most compatible with someone who has the same interests as me. I am an introvert and always struggle to find topics to start a conversation. For this reason I thought I would never be able to date someone who does not read. But they say love is blind. Well it indeed is because I did fall in love and that too with someone who probably has not even held a novel in his hand in his time on Earth. But surprisingly I can not be more happy than I am now. He respects me and my addiction of reading and often gifts me books to read. he listens to all my bookish talks too.
So to answer your question if you had asked me this 6 or 7 years back my answer would have been- " don't be ridiculous Scott." but people change and so have I.
Stephanie O 2
Currently Reading: The Kingmaker's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-o-2.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Stephanie O 2 »

Yeah definitely, reading just isn't some people's thing. I wouldn't want my partner to think less of me because I don't play sports etc. As long as we can have meaningful conversations about stories, I don't mind.
CozyReader-123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozyreader-123.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by CozyReader-123 »

Could I date someone who doesn't read?

I would say not likely. I love to read and I love to recommend books for friends and family. I cannot imagine dating someone who doesn't read for pleasure. He doesn't have to read voraciously, but he has to read. End of story.

Books have a way of opening conversations, learning about one another and sparking debate, so the idea of being with someone I cannot do that with is not attractive to me.
RaidenX
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RaidenX »

i mean yeah sure, while i love reading books i think theres more to a person than just one hobby even if its a big one, so i wouldnt base an entire relationship on that but can understand how that is important for some folks
Lucy Firth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-firth.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Lucy Firth »

I could be in a romantic relationship with someone that doesn't read; just because I love books doesn't mean they have to. So long as they let me chatter away about whatever I'm reading, I'd be happy. My partner not reading or enjoying the same books doesn't mean we can't discuss them together. Usually, in a relationship enjoying listening to your partner talk about what they love is part of why you're with them.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Nithilah Ayyappan wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 08:16 I could date someone who doesn't read. I believe in appreciating everyone no matter what their likes and ambitions are, so if a guy I like doesn't read, I wouldn't hold that against him. But he should definitely approve of me reading, and if there is a dislike of reading coming from him I would not be comfortable in that relationship. So he doesn't need to read, but he should be okay with me reading (and occasionally ranting about my books) :)
I completely agree with you on this.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sydney Lee »

Probably not. I don't think he'd be able to understand me if he didn't. Or understand why I have hundreds of books in our space. I just don't think it'd work out.
Caleb 044
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caleb-044.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Caleb 044 »

Yes I can, so long as you can agree on many other things. I think reading is just a hobby like any other as long as we love and respect one another.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

A very interesting and thought provoking question. Thank you!

Yes, I could. I don’t know many guys who love to read or love to read as much as myself or many of my female friends do. But I find we can still get along quite well and engage in meaningful conversation just the same.

I am however very lucky; my husband and I are both over 60, been married over 36 years and he loves to read almost as much as I do. Even with severe dyslexia and other learning issues, he still loves to read and we will spend lots of time talking over our reading adventures. It’s just nice.
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by dennisbragra »

I could..I can...I believe in diverse opinion. dating someone who reads is like dating myself. i would like someone who can see life from a different perspective as mine
Nasray22
Currently Reading: Raptor Canyon
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Nasray22 »

Yes I have no problem with it. Infact, I think it's so dangerous if both couples are book addicts. There is likely to be limited conversations and attention.
Terkula Azakere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Terkula Azakere »

Personally I love reading, but nowadays people prefer watching movies to reading. So I think it's a personal choice, and by that, I can come close to her and then encourage her to start having interest in reading. This I will do by trying to find out the types of stories that interests her most.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”