Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
paigelambo10
Currently Reading: The Women's Code
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigelambo10.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by paigelambo10 »

I like reading for different reasons. I like reading books and articles for education purposes, such as learning new developments in the mental health field but when I am reading a non-fiction book or something that has to do with true crime, it is for pure relaxation and enjoyment. Reading is definitely a coping strategy for me. Being able to escape and enter someone else's world for even a short time helps me relieve stress.

Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Laura Mich »

Reading improves conversational skills
Reading improves consistency and self-discipline.
Reading makes me a better writer.

Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

paigelambo10 wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 23:10
I like reading for different reasons. I like reading books and articles for education purposes, such as learning new developments in the mental health field but when I am reading a non-fiction book or something that has to do with true crime, it is for pure relaxation and enjoyment. Reading is definitely a coping strategy for me. Being able to escape and enter someone else's world for even a short time helps me relieve stress.
I agree with the last point. Reading introduces a reader to new ideas that relaxes their minds that helps in problem-solving.

Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

sleepydumpling wrote:
19 Aug 2007, 21:58
I read for two reasons...

1) To escape. I love being transported to another time or place. I love that feeling of seeing or doing or experiencing something different.

2) To see things from a different perspective. I love a book that makes me think and shows me things from other people's perspectives.
I agree with the above facts. Reading also strengthens worldview and convictions.

moonopam
Currently Reading: Four Kittens in the Bathroom
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonopam.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by moonopam »

Yes indeed reading is interesting since I discover new knowledge and it also helps me to have an analytical mindset.

Lilyflower-x2
2019 Reading Goal: 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

It is a means to escape into another world.

I get access to knowledge from people I might never get the chance of meeting. I learn from their experiences and grow more with each book.
Lilyflower

77way
Favorite Book: Your Adventurous Life Awaits
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by 77way »

By reading we knowing all of things, story, education, foods recipe's, life motivator and guides, increasing skill and experience, getting technical support, system, health, and have more information in related with life and this world.

engarl
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-engarl.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by engarl »

I know this is cliche, but the honest reason why I love reading is because it takes me to a place far away with fantastic characters, imaginative settings, and real world lessons. No matter how fantastical the book (you can probably tell that I read a lot of fantasy), you can always find a lesson that relates to the real world and our interactions with others. I enjoy the escape, but I also enjoy the human elements that are so beautifully expressed in many books.

Additionally, I just love learning! New words, new cultures, new ideas...there's so many things out there that I still don't know that I love yet because I haven't read it yet...so I have to keep reading!

AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

I love reading as it opens window to another world, gives a new perspective to ideas from this world.
I like to read books that storm my mind.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White

AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

engarl wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 12:55
I know this is cliche, but the honest reason why I love reading is because it takes me to a place far away with fantastic characters, imaginative settings, and real world lessons. No matter how fantastical the book (you can probably tell that I read a lot of fantasy), you can always find a lesson that relates to the real world and our interactions with others. I enjoy the escape, but I also enjoy the human elements that are so beautifully expressed in many books.

Additionally, I just love learning! New words, new cultures, new ideas...there's so many things out there that I still don't know that I love yet because I haven't read it yet...so I have to keep reading!
What's cliche is also true for many. I totally relate to your reasonings, especially finding a lesson. :tiphat:
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White

AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

paigelambo10 wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 23:10
I myself started reading to improve my interpersonal skills and now I am on this journey to never turn back
By Rob White

RobinBennet
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 53
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by RobinBennet »

It helps me escape the harsh reality we live in. But I also feel like I have lived a hundred lifetimes while other have barely lived one.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”