Enticing Reluctant Readers

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The Last House Guest
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Enticing Reluctant Readers

Post by vermontelf » 08 Nov 2019, 11:01

I love to read, but not everyone does. As a parent and as a teacher I have seen many reluctant readers (often because they struggle reading for some reason, but some just get bored) and I try to coax them towards reading enjoyment. The first step for many is finding out why they struggle and attempting to rectify that.

Always, I believe that children (even teenagers) benefit from listening to a story or a book being read to them. It is equally important for reading to be promoted for enjoyment and not be tested - often teachers struggle to find time for this.

To encourage independent reading in my reluctant readers, I have used: audio books, graphic novels, magazines, and even researching something that they are interested in like "tractors" (no written paper required just a few bulleted notes). Sometimes a reading program like Whooo's Reading works too as they must read to answer questions with details and as they answer questions they can earn coins to improve their avatar.

What strategies would you offer?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”