Enticing Reluctant Readers

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
vermontelf
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Enticing Reluctant Readers

Post by vermontelf »

I love to read, but not everyone does. As a parent and as a teacher I have seen many reluctant readers (often because they struggle reading for some reason, but some just get bored) and I try to coax them towards reading enjoyment. The first step for many is finding out why they struggle and attempting to rectify that.

Always, I believe that children (even teenagers) benefit from listening to a story or a book being read to them. It is equally important for reading to be promoted for enjoyment and not be tested - often teachers struggle to find time for this.

To encourage independent reading in my reluctant readers, I have used: audio books, graphic novels, magazines, and even researching something that they are interested in like "tractors" (no written paper required just a few bulleted notes). Sometimes a reading program like Whooo's Reading works too as they must read to answer questions with details and as they answer questions they can earn coins to improve their avatar.

What strategies would you offer?

L1th3rl+and
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: <a href="https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... 2&t=123637" class="postlink">View official OnlineBookClub.org review of <em>Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)</em></a>

Post by L1th3rl+and »

I find it hard to imagine a world without books but, for many children, it is what they are born to. A survey in a (relatively) disadvantaged school I was HT revealed over 50% of children did not have a single book in their homes, and another 20% had less than (about) 10. That's a hell of an obstacle to overcome. If books are not valued by the adults around a child, it is unlikely they will grow up to value them.It's a tragedy for them, and for society. If they can do nothing else, teachers should, on a daily basis, show their own love and appreciation of books and stories, and they should share stories on a daily basis. And by shared, I mean shared, not just relegated to 20 minutes at the end of an afternoon. They should be discussed, and actively engaged with.
A well chosen, well written book should be a regular theme of Primary classrooms. Children should respond to them through drama, art, music, writing, discussion - every damned thing you can think of. And the teacher should read them with some enthusiasm and feeling. How many times have I visited a classroom to hear a bored teacher read a boring book in a boring voice to bored children. Passing the time.
Grrrr!
Rant over.
Apologies - after a career in education it still bugs me that we can't get more children hooked on books.
<a href="https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... 2&t=123637" class="postlink">View official OnlineBookClub.org review of <em>Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)</em></a>

vermontelf
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I appreciate your rant, and I agree. I always read the books with enthusiasm, and I get some weird looks from adults, but I know it is the only thing that keeps some kiddos engaged. Even a history textbook or science article deserves inflection and enthusiasm. It's not that every character needs a silly voice, it's about cadence, and volume, and tone,...

HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

I absolutely love reading, but my younger sisters absolutely hate it. I'd love to get them interested in reading - even if it's not the same books that I like. Do you have any suggestions?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”