Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
amjohnson13mommy
2019 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by amjohnson13mommy » 08 May 2019, 10:26

To me reading is my favorite thing to do. When I'm reading it's like watching a movie in my mind. And if there is a movie from whatever book I'm reading, if I do not see the movie before I read the book I am usually disappointed because the movie my mind forms is better.
amjohnson13

laceew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by laceew » 09 May 2019, 14:43

Like others have stated, I read to escape. I can escape the world by sticking my head into a book. I also usually relate to one of the characters and it makes me feel less alone. I also can learn about other cultures/traditions by reading. A book wrote by an African American author about growing up in the deep south will open my mind and expand my knowledge of that time in history because I wasn't alive during that time nor would I have had the same experience being a white female in the deep south. I like that I can learn. I also like hearing stories of experiences or memories from others and you can learn a lot by someone's mistakes and reading a memoir or even a fiction novel can allow that information to be spread into the world.

Jlprince26
2019 Reading Goal: 200
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Jlprince26 » 11 May 2019, 00:15

I love reading because I can escape my current surroundings and go anywhere in a book. I am a stay at home mom and sometimes burying myself in a book can really relax me and give me a much needed break from screaming babies and the stresses of paying bills.

I discovered reading as a child, sure I had a TV but my grandparents were strict and well, smart. I had a humongous library at my disposal in my bedroom and I read everything I could get my hands on. When those ran out I found a used bookstore just down the street that traded my old books for new-used ones.

Stephen King became my favorite around the time I turned 8. My grandmother didn't approve and feared I would have nightmares. Tommyknockers was my first real horror and after that I was stuck. Nightmares were never an issue!!

Nicole_Boyd
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Currently Reading: One Night with the King
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nicole_Boyd » 14 May 2019, 01:06

sleepydumpling wrote:
19 Aug 2007, 21:58
I read for two reasons...

1) To escape. I love being transported to another time or place. I love that feeling of seeing or doing or experiencing something different.

2) To see things from a different perspective. I love a book that makes me think and shows me things from other people's perspectives.
I agree. I think this sums it all up for me. I love books that are so well written that they transport you to another place. It takes a skilled author to make you feel like you’re actually a part of the book, seeing the places they are describing.

KwambokaArrie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by KwambokaArrie » 14 May 2019, 02:57

I like reading as it helps to expand ones knowledge and also make you get to view ideas from a different perspective from the one you are accustomed to.

magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by magnoparisi » 15 May 2019, 14:50

Books have been part of my life since my childhood. I also listen to audiobooks when driving to work and working out. Nothing is better than reading and gaining more knowledge.
Instagram: @jhrac14
Twitter: @AcardiJoao

Kansas City Teacher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kansas City Teacher » 15 May 2019, 15:58

I am a quiet person who enjoys solitude. What I love most about reading is that it allows me to feel a connection to other people. Through their words, I can relate to their feelings and thoughts and realize I am not alone. It's my way of being around people without being around people. I also like reading because I can learn about other places that I have never been, or will probably never get to. I recently read a book by Danielle Steele about Paris, and learned all about the White Dinners they have every year.

NIRUPAMA JHA
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: A Loaf Of Bread
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by NIRUPAMA JHA » 16 May 2019, 06:38

first and foremost, i read to escape from reality to whole new different world and the smell of book is something i can die for. learning makes me feel better and i feel growing a bit with each book in my hand. :D :roll2:

ferry flawless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferry-flawless.html
Latest Review: The Excoms by Brett Battles

Post by ferry flawless » 16 May 2019, 09:34

I like reading because it gives me pleasure and joy. Also, it helps me to keep myself away from the real world and immerse myself in a whole new world filled to the brim with imagination.

Mistersmiss
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mistersmiss » 17 May 2019, 00:30

I read to escape life. I ran from a bad marriage to write. And as I read others books, I clamor to the certain few that can grab my heart and soul and take me on a wild ride full of ups and downs. Just as long as I can be drawn deep into the writers catacombs. Somebody take me somewhere, I am waiting.

yasminehaddi
Currently Reading: Far from the Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by yasminehaddi » 17 May 2019, 15:08

I think the greatest gift reading has offered to me was the ability to empathize with people.

SherHus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherhus.html
Latest Review: The Elf Accord - Book Four of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by SherHus » 17 May 2019, 18:59

I love reading because it transports you to different places that you might never see. It gives flight to your imagination. it can be an escape from real life for as long as the books last.

I was once asked if I had a reading sickness, because as soon as a book was finished I had to have another one in hand. Books took precedence even over TV.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”