Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 2.2 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on July 19, 2016, at 5:40 pm by Rachaelamb1.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781943326051

Escape from Ancient Egypt

by AK Taylor

The First Ten

Because Escape from Ancient Egypt was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

bookowlie

The Amazon blurb is too long with too many review excerpts before the actual summary. The actual summary is overly detailed and I found it a little hard to follow. This might be due to the overabundance of reviews shown before the summary - a case of overload throw at a potential reader. Also, the phrase "three her friends" has a missing word (of). The cover artwork is attractive, but the words at the top about the series are too light and fade into the background. Like the the Amazon blurb, the sample pages do not appear to be professionally edited. I noticed an error on the very first page ("I guess can update my logbooks" - missing word "I" before can) and another error at the end of the first chapter ("Everyone else was went"). I didn't care for the sample and thought the writing was a little awkward and didn't have a good flow.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2016, at 10:33 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Sarah_Khan

I like the cover art of this book, it looks really nice and professional and the title is also interesting. After reading the blurb, I can see that the plot of this book is original.
Unfortunately, while reading the first ten pages, all I felt was confused (maybe because I have not read the first novel) and I really did not like the fact that the main character explains stuff by speaking out loud to herself, therefore I do not intend to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2016, at 10:58 am by Sarah_Khan.

Vermont Reviews

What an interesting read. Indians time traveling back to Ancient Egypt. I really enjoyed reading about Neiko and her adventure in today's book of the day. A.K. Taylor does a wonderful job of character building and showing her readers how a story can carry you anywhere in the world. At this time my book reading is overbooked so I will not be downloading a copy of this book. The book does appear to have been professionally edited. Well written and well developed story. Great cover art.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on November 14, 2016, at 12:16 pm by Vermont Reviews.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book since this is the second book of the series. I prefer to start series from the start whenever possible. The cover is lovely, but the blurb is far too detailed and full of unnecessary praises. I find the idea of "Native Americans being sent back in time to Ancient Egypt" intriguing, and the sample seems well written. The beginning was a bit confusing, talking about a portal, tribes and five lands, but the logs entries and blurb clarified the fog a bit. I won't buy the book today as this is the second book in the series for one. Also, I am not the target audience for it. It does seem like a good book for the right audience though.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2016, at 2:08 pm by gali.

L_Therese

I didn't expect to want this book when I first saw it. It was YA, which I might read but seldom buy, and it was the 2nd book in a series. I read the blurb, and it seemed potentially interesting but also out of step with the historical realities of the period. I was pretty sure there wouldn't be a whole lot of historical realism in this book. I wished there was a review that might shed some light on what I could be expecting. Should I be expecting more of a historical fiction book or more of a fantasy book? I found the first ten pages of the book unimpressive. The protagonist seemed unnatural and seemed to be narrating every move instead of just doing it. There was a lot of that was confusing because the entire first book's events are missing from my frame of reference. Finally, the characters kept referring to Native Americans as "Indians" (i.e., "secret Indian phone"). I won't be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2016, at 2:53 pm by L_Therese.

hsimone

The cover is beautiful, the title is intriguing, and the reviews seem to be mostly positive. However, I would not have sampled this read due to it not having an OBC review done and the fact that in the blurb, it states "It is NOT suitable for mature audiences." I consider myself a mature reader, so this pushed me away from the book.

Based on what I read the book does seem to be professionally edited. I really like the idea of time traveling right from the beginning. I think this gives the read a unique feature. However, I am not a fan of Neiko's voice; she does seem fairly young, and I feel I would become tired of her young tone very easily and quickly. Therefore, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2016, at 5:39 pm by hsimone.

Shelle

Time travel books are usually fun reads and I was glad to have the opportunity to sample this one. I don't typically like to jump in the middle of a series and felt lost right from the beginning. The main character seemed likable and her adventures enjoyable. If I get this book, it will be after I've already read the first book in the series. This book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2016, at 6:06 pm by Shelle.

jungkookblog

I think I would've read the book without reading the first ten pages, because I am a big fan of Egypt. I don't think I am going to read the whole book. I thought this was more in back then time, not in this time. I don't like how they use cars, and things like that. Reading the first ten pages did change my original guess because of what I said earlier. It seems like it was professionally edited. I liked how she wrote in a journal. Something that could be improved would be some more details on what happened 11 years ago, and how the 4 warriors disappeared. I did not see any OnlineBookClub review, and it probably did affect my decision because if I know the whole plot and purpose of the book, and find a liking then I would have probably bought the book.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2016, at 7:56 pm by jungkookblog.

CrescentMoon

I really like the cover of this book. I think the title is fitting and the cover is eye-catching. I am impressed this author wrote this when she was 17. After reading the first ten pages, I am actually quite hooked. This seems like it will be a great adventure story. I will read the rest.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2016, at 9:20 pm by CrescentMoon.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would have read it. The cover is beautiful, and the title font works with the subject really well. After sampling the book, I have not changed my mind. The writing was definitely very to the point, which is understandable since the book was targeted towards tweens and younger audiences, but for me it felt like a quick and interesting read. It was professionally edited, and not reading an official review did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 1:10 am by psychopathycathy.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

amybo82

Based on the book's blurb and other customer reviews, this is not a book I would have selected to read. It is the second in a series, and I have not read the first book. There are only a few reviews available. I do not see one from Online Book Club, and looking at the others, it is difficult to determine their validity.

I am selective about time travel books. They have to be very well done for me to give them a shot. Historical and cultural accuracy are two important factors. From reading the book's description, I thought this book would not live up to my standards. After reading the first ten pages, it became clear that my instincts were correct. The premise wasn't believable, and the narrative was difficult to follow.

There were also a number of editing and proofreading errors, such as run-on sentences, that interrupted the flow of reading. For example, the author used the word "difference" instead of "different." I also noted punctuation errors, including missing commas and incorrect punctuation to introduce or close quotations.

While the storyline of this book had potential, I found it to be overall lacking in believability. The proofreading and editing errors made the book difficult to read. This is not a book I would purchase and read.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 6:20 am by amybo82.

Rachel1019

From the cover art and the lettering on the title of the book, I could easily guess that this was a book for younger people. I love stories about Egypt and time travel. The way that this book was written though is for a younger audience. It doesn't quite captivate me like it would have if I was a young teenager. Overall, I think this book is perfect for the audience that it is selling to, but for older generations, it is not something as interesting. I will not be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 9:14 am by Rachel1019.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. It doesn't belong to a genre that I usually read. Having sampled the book, my opinion remains. I found the plot unique and interesting. However, I would have liked to know the protagonist better. Further, I found one grammatical error in the sample (I guess can, instead of I guess I can). Apart from this, the book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. While I'm sure it's a great book, I will not be reading this book further because of the genre.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 9:18 am by AA1495.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book based on the title, cover, and genre. I haven't been into young adult books lately. This is also the second book in the saga, so I probably would have wanted to read the first book before the second. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be purchasing the book. Right away, the book was talking about a portal and another universe. The content just isn't right for me. The book did seem to be professionally edited. I also liked that the author compared the other world to the one we already know so that the reader has a reference point. I also liked that there was a map at the beginning. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get engaged in the book.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 10:33 am by anneloretrujillo.

CataclysmicKnight

From the cover I was expecting something historical here, but by the end of the first chapter phones and cars were used. That's certainly not a bad thing - I love a good current-time adventure - but it was certainly a surprise! This is the second book in a series, though, and it seems like it would make a lot more sense thus far if I read the first one. I also noticed a few grammatical errors while reading. I may read the first book in the series eventually, but I'd definitely read that one before this one.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 11:28 am by CataclysmicKnight.

chocomeiske

Even without having sampled the first ten pages as part of the First Ten Review programme, I would have been attracted to this book firstly by the cover and secondly by the customer reviews which were mostly positive. Having read the sample, I can say this book does not appeal to me because of the simplistic plot and language. It appears to be geared to lower YA and or middle grade readers.
I liked the fun element of the sample I read best but I'm not interested in reading the rest of it.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 1:03 pm by chocomeiske.

ALynnPowers

This seems like such a unique book! A combination of the modern day with North American Indians and ancient Egypt was not expected at all. I've definitely never come across any other book like this before. There were a few small, hardly-noticeable punctuation errors that I could forgive, but I don't think that I could finish reading this book for other reasons that have nothing at all to do with the quality of the book, the plot, or the writing. I realized that this is the second book in a series, and I just don't like to read a series of books out of order. Besides, I felt like I was missing something when I started reading, and the places and characters' names were a little hard to keep up with. Perhaps if the first book in the series starts off as interesting as this one, I will give it a shot.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 1:14 pm by ALynnPowers.

Momlovesbooks

The book seems to be part of a series that teens to young adults would enjoy. The main characters are in that age range and fans could find a connection with them. The book appears to have action and historical facts, as it includes some time travel. I feel this book is aimed towards a younger audience than I am, so I don't plan on reading it.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 2:35 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Gravy

The blurb needs to be edited as there are a few errors. The actual text feels clumsy, as well as having several errors, for instance, "wished" instead of "wish", so I would say that it has not been professionally edited. I also really disliked the method of introducing back story, and found it both annoying and ineffective.
I wouldn't have looked at this, as the premise doesn't interest me and for that, and the reasons stated above, I won't be continuing.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 4:31 pm by Gravy.

Cjgarland89

This isn't a book I would normally sample. I am not big on time travel and not familiar with Egyptian culture. I didn't see an OBC review so nothing really peaked my interest before sampling. After reading the sample I will not be finishing, it was just boring and difficult to follow. There were also several editing errors in the first few pages, so I don't believe it was professionally edited. The theory behind the story may be interesting but the story is not.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2016, at 6:48 am by Cjgarland89.

klbradley

The reviews that have been shared for this book are really great, which is usually what I go by when considering a book. However, I'm not in a "fantasy" reading mood lately, so I think I will pass on this one. The grammar and spelling did prove to be edited well though, which is always a good sign!

First Ten review added on November 16, 2016, at 8:52 am by klbradley.

Total ~ 10%

This book earned a score of 10%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 10% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Escape from Ancient Egypt in their shelves?

18 members have Escape from Ancient Egypt in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

milkydwarf

Want To Read Shelf

dhwanis

Want To Read Shelf

karatheredhead

Want To Read Shelf

Glittery1

Want To Read Shelf

Elena_D

3-Star Shelf