Average Rating: 3.1 out of 4
The Banned Book about Love
by Scott Hughes
Please log in to add The Banned Book about Love to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!
Subgenre Hashtags for The Banned Book about Love
To add hashtags to a book, you need to log in.
Message from the Author
On June 13th, 2016, I released this short booklet for free through Amazon. I pledged to donate 10 cents per copy downloaded through Amazon to a charity that helps victims of sexual assault. The winning charity was RAINN. Because the book is free, there were no proceeds from which to make the donation, but rather I took a financial loss to give to charity and to spread my message--a message I passionately believe in and hope will change hearts and help make the world a better place, especially a better place for victims and would-be victims of sexual assault or other violence.
In just a few days, the booklet earned over a thousand downloads. It became the #1 bestseller in the entire Philosophy category on Amazon.
The booklet was nearly unanimously well-received by those who actually read it.
However, there was quick outrage from people who did not read the book but who judged the book by its cover and title (the original ones) and jumped to the conclusion that the book was pro-rape or that I wanted violent criminals to not be put in jail. Both of those things are absolutely false. Both the booklet and I are clearly anti-rape and supportive of incarcerating dangerous offenders.
The booklet is not really about the people who we hate at all. It is about me and about the reader. It is about how hate doesn't help victims and doesn't protect future would-be victims. It's about something that cannot be described in a blurb or a tl;dr summary (too long; didn't read).
Nonetheless, the outraged people who believed utterly false things about the book viciously attacked me publicly and spread false rumors about the book, especially via Twitter. For just a few examples, I was told publicly on social media to "burn in hell". People who did not read the book said things like, "I will spit in your face if I have the chance." That's not the worst of it, but the worst of it and the much more vulgar of it would not be good to repeat. At least one person attempted to hack my Twitter account. Ultimately, the passionately outraged people got the book abruptly banned from Amazon, only a few days after release.
How can a book about love result in such vicious outrage from people who did not even read it? Well, remember love challenges hate, and hate is irrational and vicious. The haters react that way not because of what's wrong with love and what lovers believe; they react that way because of what's wrong with hate. For instance, only two people were quoted in this short booklet. Both of those people were killed for what they said. So, if I merely had my book banned when quoting much greater minds and much greater words than my own, I suppose I got off easy.
The Banned Book about Love is now available exclusively right here through OnlineBookClub.org, with only its cover and title updated. The original content remains completely intact. It is free. You can download it for free in epub or mobi format to read on your Nook or Kindle. Or you can read it for free right on your web browser on this website, no download required. Please read and decide for yourself if this free short booklet deserved to be banned and if I deserve to be hated.
Read for Free
Featured Volunteer Reviews
1. Review by enigmaticsoul ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
2. Review by MunsterEater ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
3. Review by James Craft ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
4. Review by chrisann2780 ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
5. Review by aimlessreader ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
6. Review by StephThyng ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
7. Review by aksauce ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
8. Review by Leese ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
9. Review by booklovergal ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
10. Review by Christine_B ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
11. Review by mst727 ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
12. Review by stoppoppingtheP ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
13. Review by alimsj827 ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
14. Review by Tawfiqalqeisi ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
15. Review by Kitkat3 ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
16. Review by Samperry82 ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
17. Review by Insightsintobooks ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
18. Review by Kelebogile Mbangi ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
19. Review by mmallory ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
20. Review by Ljessup ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
21. Review by Natalie Charlene ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
22. Review by romantics ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
23. Review by MsTri ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
24. Review by EmperorOfBooks ~ Rated 4 out of 4 ~ View review
Previous Book of the Day!
The Banned Book about Love was book of the day on 2017-05-07!
You must log in to view the forum discussion about this book. No account? Sign up for free now! All you have to do is choose a username and password, and then you start saving books to your own shelves. It's very easy!
Original Quick Blurb for The Banned Book about Love
When a girl is sexually assaulted the author points out the need to love everyone, even those who commit violent crimes. Hughes explains why he loves even the boy who committed the crime and asks the question, "Do the ends justify the means?"
Blurb added on October 30, 2016, at 6:07 pm by LifeTimeBookAddict.
The Banned Book about Love was published by OnlineBookClub.org.
Other Links/Info for The Banned Book about Love
Report Incorrect Information
Bookshelves is cool because the data is submitted by the members! But mistakes happen. If you notice any incorrect information or typos on this page, please report it.
The First Ten
Because The Banned Book about Love was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.
Who Has The Banned Book about Love in their shelves?
479 members have The Banned Book about Love in their shelves. They are all listed below, ordered by post count.
When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.