Cover for Gates to Tangier

The First Ten Feedback for Gates to Tangier

Because Gates to Tangier was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as it isn't a book that I normally gravitate to. The cover isn't very fetching. The blurb is ok, but a word was missing in one of the sentences.
The sample doesn't appear to have been professionally edited, as there were some missing words, run-on sentences, and a couple of grammatical errors. What is more, the POV changed in the middle of a paragraph. The sample started with the third point of view and then, after a couple of paragraphs, suddenly changed to the first POV ("Said our mother"). I found the writing style a little awkward and couldn't connect to it at all. I didn't care about any of the characters either and was aghast at the prejudice expressed by one of them: "The Ashkenazim got rich here, while we got poorer". I feel it leaves a false impression on those unfamiliar with the culture. I won't read the balance of the book as it didn't appeal to me, nor did it interest me enough to want to read it.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 10:13 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

ananya92

The book deals with a complicated issue through a touching story of an Israeli family that has no option but to locate the illegitimate son of their father/husband to claim their inheritance. The description speaks highly of the book and it has been translated in several languages due to its popularity. So, I was quite curious to read this book, and I found the premise of the book quite interesting. However, the sample did not justify the amount of praise for this book in the description page. The storyline seems a little dramatic but the book is more than just a family drama, delving into sensitive issues like problems faced by the Sephardim people, and Israeli-Arab conflict. From the sample the book seems short, however, I have no clue whether this is a standalone book or part of a series. The book seems to be edited properly enough for a translation. Unfortunately, I did not find the book engaging enough to read completely; therefore, I'll skip this one.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 10:38 am by ananya92.

James Craft

The cover of this book is off-putting and if it wasn't for OBC and the great reviews I wouldn't even check it out. That being said, I enjoy good historical fiction and this one seems like a great book from the reviews, and the fact that it has so many reviews that are positive is a huge mark in its favor. All in all, I won't get a copy of this today despite the good reviews and strong presence on Amazon, but I think a lot of people would enjoy reading it.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 11:08 am by James Craft.

CataclysmicKnight

I really didn't know what to expect going into this one, but I'm glad it's the book of the day so I had an excuse to read a bit. The plot is very interesting - a father dies and in his will he says his family must do all they can to find a surprise child he had with another woman. They're rightfully surprised and upset, but want his money, so they're very torn. It's also clear it'll dive into all sorts of religious issues, as his other books do as well. While it's very interesting and written well, however, it's not enough to win me over to buy it and fit it into my "to read" pile.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 12:55 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

va2016

I am always wary of Mois Benarroch's books because of the bad translation by his translators. This book seem to be reasonably well translated compared to his another book that I had reviewed. The writing style in English is reasonably good. The plot seems interesting and promising. But, this is not my kind of book, so I am skipping this. Thanks to OBC of referring to this book, and congrats to the author on his book being selected as the BOTD.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 1:36 pm by va2016.

ZenaLei7

I read the sample and it wasn't interesting enough for me to finish the book.The book cover looks interesting though. I didn't notice any major grammatical errors either.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 1:57 pm by ZenaLei7.

Vermont Reviews

I found today's book of the day to be a story worthy of my purchase. I was impressed by the plot and talent of the author to build characters who made the story come alive. Will the family find the lost brother Yosef and how will they accept him? I can't wait to finish this one. Well Done.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 2:16 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

e-tasana-williams

Had I not read this sample as part of the first ten program I would not have chosen to read it, as it is not a genre that interests me. Reading the sample did not change my opinion. The sample gives the impression that the book is professionally edited. The best part of the sample is the poetic language; it feels like reading an artistic short story. I don't see improvements to be made.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 2:35 pm by e-tasana-williams.

Kdonegan91

The cover and title did not appeal to me. After reading the sample, my mind was not changed. I do not like the author's style of writing and I was confused by the end of the sample. I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 2:57 pm by Kdonegan91.

Scerakor

Based on the cover, blurb, and reviews of this book alone, I likely would not have picked it up. The subject matter, apart from the premise itself, is not one that attracts my attention. After reading the first ten pages I haven't changed my mind. Like I thought, I thoroughly enjoyed the hook the author throws down in the first couple of pages, but the rest of the sample was dry and slow (to my taste). I will not be buying/reading/reviewing the rest of this book. The official OBC review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 3:17 pm by Scerakor.

Momlovesbooks

The cover instantly draws me into a foreign place. The OBC review was very positive. I wasn't sure if this is my type of book, but the review was encouraging so I gave it a try. I read the sample but still don't think it's my cup of tea. It seems to be an interesting storyline with lots of history and intrigue. However, I won't be reading it at this time.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 4:00 pm by Momlovesbooks.

CrescentMoon

This story sounds so original and intriguing. This sounds like the characters would have such a huge conflict of identity and with the tense relations in the Middle East, the fact the characters actually have Moroccan roots makes the story even more exciting. Although I like the premise, I probably won't be able to read it because of lack of time. But I did like the free sample and do recommend it to fans of historical fiction.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 5:25 pm by CrescentMoon.

Sarah_Khan

The plot of this novel is interesting and the first few words grabbed my attention. The book seems professionally edited and well-written. The only reason I am not purchasing this book today is because I do not currently have the time to read it.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 6:04 pm by Sarah_Khan.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, the plot made me curious. The first sentence of the book caught my attention. The book has many favorable OBC voluntary reviews. I did not come across any obvious grammatical errors. While I will not read the book now, I might read it in the future.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 6:29 pm by AA1495.

Christina O Phillips

This is the second book I've come across by this author. The first one I did not like, struggled to finish, and about which wrote a poor review. Thankfully this time I only had to struggle through ten pages. I just do not care for this writer's style. The chapters are so different. The first is full of dialogue from what is supposed to be different characters yet they all sound the same, the second is a snippet of a conversation (? a poem? a quote?), and the third was all narration: telling and no showing. I do not like this writer's style and will not read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 6:57 pm by Christina O Phillips.

classicaltwist

I would not read the book based on the title, cover, reviews, or blurb. I have actually already a book by the same author and I didn't like it at all, so I wasn't instantly biased against it once I saw the name of the author. The reviews don't help my impression since they seem to be really mixed.

Reading the sample did improve my how I felt about the book. The translation is much better and has fewer errors than the other book by Mois Benarroch that I read. However, the sample wasn't enough to make me want to read the book. I didn't find the story interesting and the writing was a little stilted. There is an official OnlineBookClub review, but in this case, it didn't sway me much.

First Ten review added on May 26, 2017, at 9:21 pm by classicaltwist.

L_Therese

This book seemed quite interesting, with its potential to examine some of the conflicts and tensions in the Middle East region on a very personal level. However, as I looked at customer reviews on Amazon, I noticed that the reviews were mixed. Some declared the book a must-read, but others remarked that it was confusing and seemed scattered. Although my impression in the first ten pages was quite good overall, it would have been very helpful to have a review available to help determine whether or not the flow of the book would be confusing.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 12:34 am by L_Therese.

Miche Sora

Ugh,I could barely finish the sample. No way will I read this book because it's way too boring. The storyline is all over the place and doesn't seem to have a direction. You can tell this book has been translated from another language because the English doesn't flow properly.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 12:42 am by Miche Sora.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the blurb, genre and OBC review. I'm not into historical fiction and I didn't think I would like the religious aspects of the book. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I didn't really like the style of writing. The content also wasn't for me. I was interested at first, but I didn't like the way the writing changed. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 1:16 am by anneloretrujillo.

Gravy

The translation left a bit to be desired for me. It really isn't something I would typically read, but I've found myself tempted into many books that I could say that about. I just have to wonder if a different translation would peak my interest more.
There seemed to be some errors with things like quotation marks, so fixing those would help. I can't say that I'm interested in continuing this.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 7:11 am by Gravy.

Amagine

I couldn't understand what the story was about just from the first twenty pages. I got a basic idea but it wasn't completely clear. I was confused by some chapters in the story and most of it was just hard to read. It was only a sample but I found it a bit tedious to read. I'm positive that this book will attract many readers. Unfortunately, it's not something that I'll read.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 9:10 am by Amagine.

chocomeiske

What a boring cover! If not for this program, I wouldn't have taken a second look at this book.
Upon reading the description it does sound interesting if this sort of genre is your thing.
I read the sample and thought it was well-written if a bit dry. It appears to be well-edited.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 1:12 pm by chocomeiske.

hsimone

The cover isn't very appealing, and the title is confusing. Though I am interested in learning about the Jewish community. There are a fair number of 4-star rated reviews via the OBC volunteer review system, however, it doesn't look like this book has done well with the customer reviews. Therefore, without this program, I would not have sampled this read.

Based on what I read, the book could use another round of editing. For instance, in the beginning when Estrella says, "'...He has dropped a bomb on us." continued Estrella...'", there should be a comma instead of a period in between the words, "us" and "continued". I worry about the amount of unfamiliar words in this read. For instance, "yarmulke". I don't know what this is and it isn't fully explained. This could become confusing after some time. Also, I feel somewhat confused on the context of the text; this could be because I have not read the other two in the series prior to this one. In any case, I do not plan on purchasing this book. Perhaps, if it's still available, I might read it as a Volunteer Review for OBC since I am a reviewer, but not at the current time.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 4:29 pm by hsimone.

MarisaRose

I have read some of this author's work in the past; based on my previous experiences with his work alone, I would not choose to buy this book. After reading the sample for 'Gates to Tangier,' I noticed many of the same issues, leading to the same complaints I've had with his previous works. I think the main issue with Benarroch's work is the translation. His words are no doubt powerful, and his writing is nothing short of poetic; however, the book's translation seems unprofessional and basic. So many of the nuances of his work are lost because of this poor translation. There are so many grammatical errors, misspelled words and run-on sentences that significantly hinder the ability to read this book. Thus, I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 6:49 pm by MarisaRose.

Jaime Lync

The cover of this book intrigues me. I am also intrigued by the promise of the story; A man leaves an inheritance for his family that they can only access after they have found his bastard son that they were not aware of before the reading of the will. Judging from the brief sample I read and the many high rating volunteer reviews on OBC.com, I found out that although this book has a few grammatical errors it makes for a thought-provoking read. Unfortunately, Gates to Tangier is the third book of The Tétouan Trilogy by Benarroch and I like to read series in order. Hence, before I can invest myself in this book I have to determine whether I will read the first two books in the series. If it wasn't for the first ten program I would not have sampled this book and I don't plan to continue it in the foreseeable future.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 7:15 pm by Jaime Lync.

Kitkat3

I like the cover and the title. This book has received mixed reviews but many 4/4 from OBC. I was not very interested in the subject after reading the blurb. I would not have sampled this book without this program. It appears to be professionally edited. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying and reading the rest of the book, because I find the narrative style hard to follow.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 9:15 pm by Kitkat3.

CarrieMe

Based on the cover, blurb and reviews, I would probably try this book. The cover is boring, but the premise sounds interesting and the reviews seem promising. After reading the sample, I do plan to buy and read this book. I really liked the quote at the beginning and I also liked how the reader was immediately thrust into the family drama with no buildup. It helps to mirror the shock that the family is feeling. The book seemed professionally edited and I didn't notice any errors.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2017, at 12:48 am by CarrieMe.

Cjgarland89

Had it not been for This being book of the day I wouldn't have sampled it. The cover isn't appealing and the description wasn't too exciting either. After sampling however I am feeling intrigued by the first few pages, and the characters seemingly are easy to connect with. I didn't see an OBC review, but based on the sample alone I'd like to finish this book!

First Ten review added on May 28, 2017, at 1:57 am by Cjgarland89.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because of the cover. It makes me not want to read it. I will not be reading this book because the first ten pages did not catch my attention. It seems professionally edited. I did not see any review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2017, at 3:20 am by jungkookblog.

Total ~ 10%

Gates to Tangier earned a score of 10%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 10% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Gates to Tangier