Cover for Hell Holes: What Lurks Below

The First Ten Feedback for Hell Holes: What Lurks Below

Because Hell Holes: What Lurks Below was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry and why expert book marketers like Scott Hughes are in such high demand.

Vermont Reviews

He'll Holes : What Lurks Below by Donald Firesmith is the book of the day. With global warming and climate change the scientists are about to discover what the cause for concern is all about. He'll Holes are appearing and what can be done about that? I did add tho s one to my reading list.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on September 14, 2017, at 11:20 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

gali

I probably would have sampled the book on my own, as I love the genre. The cover is lovely and the blurb is ok. The sample started well enough, with a mysterious hole popping up, but I found the writing a bit stilted. I won't read the book, as the sample didn't hold my interest. The OBC review strengthened my decision.

First Ten review added on September 14, 2017, at 11:23 pm by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

micoleon13

This is a good cover page. I'm not the biggest fan of the font of the title, but as a whole it works to attract attention. I would be interested in this book. The Onlinebookclub review was very complementary and made me more interested in reading the book. It sounds very much my style of writing. The pages which I read were well written and edited and I immediately liked the story line, especially the style of introduction using the fox. I have no ideas for improvement and I would like to continue reading this book.

First Ten review added on September 14, 2017, at 11:40 pm by micoleon13.

ananya92

This is a book in the science fiction/fantasy genre. The book seems to be set in an interesting premise. The description and review of the book were quite useful in explaining what to expect from this book. The editing could have been better. Though the book seems fascinating, from the sample, I did not feel very enthusiastic about perusing it. The storyline did not interest me enough to continue with this one. Therefore, I'll skip this one for now.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 12:08 am by ananya92.

Sarah_Khan

I like the title and the cover of this book. The blurb was enticing. The book itself is well-written and professionally edited. The plot seems intriguing and different. I look forward to reading the rest.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 12:17 am by Sarah_Khan.

Londera

If this book was not a part of the first ten program I most likely would not have read it. I know youre not supposed to judge a book by its cover,but the cover just does not capture my attention. Maybe Im just shallow. However after reading the first few pages it clear that this is a well written and smart story. I love post apocalyptic stories. I will definitely finish reading this book. So far I have not noticed any error and it seems to be profesionally edited.I did read the official review of this book and it did make me want to finish the book even more.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 12:23 am by Londera.

Afuglsan

Based on the cover and the reviews I read, I would not have chosen this book. I like the title, though; it's intriguing. When I first looked into it, I thought it would be really scary. The OBC review made the novel sound boring and not like something I'd read. After reading the first ten pages, I really appreciate the work the author put into the book. It does seem as though he really researched his scientific fields. However, the first ten pages didn't capture my attention. All in all, I don't think this is a book I'd like to read.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 12:27 am by Afuglsan.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would have read the books. The cover for this looks really interesting and I like that it is well researched, which the official review commented on. After reading the sample I have not changed my mind. It was professionally edited and I liked the narrator's long stretches of internal monologue.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 12:42 am by psychopathycathy.

Kdonegan91

At first glance, I was intrigued by this book. The cover is attractive and the title sparked my curiosity. After reading the first ten pages and the OBC review, my interest was not maintained. I am simply not interested in sci-fi novels. Also, the in-depth scientific terminology and descriptions were too overwhelming for me. Therefore, I will not finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 1:29 am by Kdonegan91.

va2016

I sampled this book for a few pages, and see it as one that creates awareness about Methane gas and its danger (global warming), specifically focussing on the Alaska region. I think it's a valuable book to add to my virtual bookshelf, which I will read one day eventually. Thanks for referring to this book.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 1:33 am by va2016.

Miche Sora

This is a fast-paced story with a writing style that is engaging straightaway. I get the sense that the author's writing style is a mixture of Matthew Reilly and Michael Chrichton, so this should be a fun book with a lot of factual information in it.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 2:08 am by Miche Sora.

Donnavila Marie01

This fast-paced science-fiction story is entertaining and it is also informative. I love how the author presented the four main characters in the story. They have passion in understanding everything about our planet and everything connected to it. It is evident that the story is well-researched and it is professionally edited. This story is an introduction to a series of stories about Hell-halls. Others may not want its cliff-hanging effect but I find it amazing. I am obliged and excited to read the sequel.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 3:33 am by Donnavila Marie01.

jwalker73

Attractive cover but the title and genre do not do much to interest me. I would not have chosen this book to read. Despite the OBC giving a positive review, I still do not find the theme exciting. I was initially surprised when I started reading the first ten pages. I was drawn in by the beautiful description of the fox on his journey. I also enjoyed meeting the characters and learning a bit about their background. My interest then rapidly disappeared when the story became very scientific, with Angie discussing her presentation on methane. I am still not intending to purchase this book as I find the scientific content, although interesting, requires too much concentration for me to comprehend fully. I prefer a book I can relax with.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 4:01 am by jwalker73.

geoffrey ngoima

I would chose to sample this book before reading the ten pages because of the captivating title and book cover. The blurb and the editorial review are very encouraging.
I still feel I would buy the book after reading the ten sample pages because this story isn’t entirely fiction and I like the danger lurking in the story. There was just one editing issues.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 7:11 am by geoffrey ngoima.

Christina Rose

As a science fiction fan, I would probably check this book out on my own, although the title is reminiscent of an old cheesy 90s movie. The first ten pages read well, and I did not notice any errors. The review was positive enough, with the biggest complaint seeming to be the cliffhanger - which I do not tend to mind in series. So, I will probably continue reading this book in the future. The premise seems pretty interesting.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 7:22 am by Christina Rose.

Snowflake

This is not really one of my preferred genres so it is unlikely that I would have sampled this book without the first ten pages program. The title and cover picture seem quite appropriate for the book. I found the sample well written and did not notice any obvious typos or grammar errors. The characters were clear and so was the scenario. This seems a decent story for this genre but as it's not really my cup of tea, I do not plan to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 8:26 am by Snowflake.

Vickie Noel

The title and book cover are actually appealing to me. I may have flipped through the pages if I had stumbled across it without the sample. Reading the first ten pages confirmed my stand. The book seems to be professionally edited as I detected no errors. My interest deepened with the appearance of Aileen and her suave manner. Nothing to be improved so far. The intro was filled with scientific details which I'm not particularly interested in as I generally skipped them. But I can't say that it's a problem as that simply means the author has done his homework. I will probably finish reading the book but not soon.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 8:46 am by Vickie Noel.

IsabelMay

I can hardly think of something negative to say about the book. I love the writing style, it's engaging and easy to read. I appreciate that the author took time to do a proper scientific research, it was interesting to learn something new on the very first pages. The book seems to be well edited, I didn't spot any mistakes.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 8:56 am by IsabelMay.

bookowlie

Although the cover artwork is eye-catching, the subtitle made me think the book would be in the horror genre. When I looked at the Amazon categories, I realized it is a mix of sci-fi, post-apocalytic and paranormal. The summary blurb is well written and gives a clear sense of the plot. I enjoyed the explanation in the Author's Note (on Amazon) about the inspiration for the story. The sample pages contain beautiful imagery and the author does a good job of introducing the characters. Both the summary and sample appears to be professional edited. That being said, I am not interesting in reading the entire book due to my reading tastes - I don't care for paranormal and sci-fi stories.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 9:45 am by bookowlie.

CataclysmicKnight

I was wondering why a book that sounds like a horror novel had such a gorgeous cover, but the arctic locale makes sense. I really like that so far it seems the main theme will be the coming together of science and religion, or at least the paranormal as it's hard to have "hell holes" without faith. I'm definitely interested in what's going to happen, and the two little sections before chapter 1 were both excellent! I'll definitely finish this one.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 10:44 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Btowntheatregal

This is not a book I would have picked up had it not been for the first ten. Based on the title alone, I would have assumed that it is not a book that meets my interests. I don't plan on reading the entire book. I still have some assumptions about where this book is going that don't particularly appeal to me. In addition, I was bored by the first ten pages. Since I don't really have an interest in geology, petrology, and the other related topics, there just wasn't a hook there to keep me reading.

This book does appear to be professionally edited. I did not come across any typos or grammatical errors.

I did not enjoy reading the first ten pages of this book mainly because the subject didn't interest me. The book appears to be well written and edited. I can't make recommendations for improvement, as I think there is an audience for this book; it just isn't me.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 10:56 am by Btowntheatregal.

RegularGuy3

The first ten pages are filled with strange things information. I couldn't decide if they were purposefully chosen precisely for that reason (after all, hell holes are strange enough, so why not play into it?). The fox smells the female fox...so did we really need to know she was in heat? The wife's last name is Menendez...so did we really need her to make enchiladas and be called a Latina chili pepper? "Siamese"? The list goes on. Beyond the oddness, the preface certainly painted a crisp picture of the action. The review was very favorable and seemed to confirm my suspicion that this would be an interesting read. But I'm not sure I will continue reading, in part because of these distracting phrases and the rapid-pace introduction of the characters, which left me with a mild case of eye whiplash.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 12:02 pm by RegularGuy3.

MarisaRose

After reading the blurb for 'Hell Holes,' I had some trouble wrapping my head around the concept of the book. Further, after reading the OBC review, I didn't know what to expect from this book. I wouldn't have purchased this one blindly. After reading the first ten pages for this program, I wasn't impressed. Nothing about the initial narrative held my interest or made me want to read more of the book. Additionally, there were some minor grammatical errors in the sample that lead me to believe this one wasn't professionally edited. I don't plan to purchase this one anytime soon.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 12:42 pm by MarisaRose.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the genre. I'm not really into science fiction. However, the OBC review and blurb had me more interested. I wanted to know about the mysterious circles. After reading the first ten pages, I will be finishing this book. I thought I wouldn't like the technical science parts, but so far I was still intrigued. I also like that this book is short. It means I'll actually have time to read it. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 1:10 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Momlovesbooks

The title of this book made me do a double-take. I wasn't sure what kind of supernatural thriller this would be. The OBC review brought out several issues and made it more clear to me. It seemed like something I would enjoy. I read the sample and was intrigued with the premise and characters. I enjoy apocalyptic stories, so eager to see where this one leads. I'll be purchasing this and reading it sometime soon.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 1:52 pm by Momlovesbooks.

ashley_claire

I didn't see an OBC review for this book so all I have to go on initially is the cover and the Amazon summary. I think the cover is beautifully done and it instantly makes me want to know more about the book. I'm not sure that the plot is something that I would normally be interested in, but the cover is so good that I really want to give it a chance.

The heavy emphasis on all the science talk that happened during the first ten pages was a turn off for me. I didn't really follow it very well and if similar amounts of information continues throughout the book, I would end up skipping and skimming over pages. I think this seems like a great book for those who read science fiction regularly and are used to this type of information being thrown at them. The book seems like it moves at a good pace and I'm still a little intrigued about the reveal of what is actually happening. However, I don't think this book is for me.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 1:53 pm by ashley_claire.

CrescentMoon

I really like the cover for this book. It's really pretty and perfect for what the story is about. After reading the sample, I actually was hooked after reading it. However, I don't think I have enough time to read it. I would love to read it in the future though.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 2:11 pm by CrescentMoon.

Naval Aulakh

"Hell Holes: What Lurks Below" is a combination of fantacy and mystery. After reading its review on OnlineBookClub, I decided to read the sample of the book. Despite having strong characters, the book did not appeal to me. The plot of the book is quite common.

Moreover, I did not like the cover of the book. I would not like to read the entire book.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 2:36 pm by Naval Aulakh.

chocomeiske

Based on the cover this is not something I would have sampled if not for this program. Well, having read the sample I think this is a mixture of Science with a bit of a paranormal element and it certainly seems interesting. The sample seems to be well edited and I can't recall any glaring editorial issues. I really liked the prologue with the fox since it sparked my interest. Still, I'm not convinced that this is something I would want to read until the end.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 3:04 pm by chocomeiske.

ButterscotchCherrie

If I had been looking for science fiction to read, I would have sampled this on the basis of the description, and the title drew me in too. The first ten pages constitute a strong beginning, but unfortunately I wouldn't find the time to read this at the moment. I didn't notice any errors. I liked the scientific component, which was clearly expressed and interesting. The apparently predatory sexy woman was perhaps rather stereotyped. I did see an official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 3:18 pm by ButterscotchCherrie.

DDunstock

The book blurb is very well written and certainly intrigues me and compels me to read this book. In addition, the cover is vibrant and alluring. I enjoy science-fiction and would certainly give this book a shot based on first impressions.
While I found the first ten pages to be well-written and void of any spelling or grammar errors, I simply wasn't drawn into the story. I feel that it starts of a bit too slow and the storytelling in first person is not preferable. I would not read this book.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 3:53 pm by DDunstock.

Yolimari

I think the cover of the book looks nice. The review in the forum seemed interesting because the storyline apparently involves the theme of the apocalypse. Before reading the sample pages, I thought about reading this book because of the post-apocalyptic theme. I changed my mind after reading the sample pages because the story did not sound appealing to me. I like to see movies about climate change but reading about it gets me bored. The writing, however, seems professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 3:59 pm by Yolimari.

Jeyran Main

This cover is smashing. the sample was well written and fully edited. The work is good and strong for the beginning of the book. The sample convinced me to take the book.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 4:09 pm by Jeyran Main.

klbradley

I've always been a fan of apocalypse themed books, so this one seemed like a great choice for me when I first started looking. I liked that this is something that could really happen, and the synopsis definitely pulled me with interest. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this one, and will hopefully enjoy it as much as the reviewer did.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 5:43 pm by klbradley.

BunnySTx

After reading a sample of, Hell Holes by Donald Firesmith, I have decided that I will be finishing this book. When I first saw the cover for this book my interest was piqued. After reading the blurb, I wanted to know more and learn what happened next. The author wasted no time luring me into the story with the fox being the center right from the beginning. If I had not read a sample of this book, I think I would have read this book. I like how the author utilizes the blurb so well. The blurb gives us hints of science fiction, mystery, and danger. It quickly draws the reader in, raising their curiosity. Based on what I have read this book does appear to be professionally edited. I don't recall as to whether this book has an official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on September 15, 2017, at 7:34 pm by BunnySTx.

ReviewerDiksha

The cover and the title of the book give an impression of a supernatural genre. If hadn't read its reviews then I would have thought that it is a book with a mystical story. However, it is a complete opposite. It is a sci-fi fiction. Right from the prolouge I was hooked. I wanted to continue reading, but the sample can only take you so far.

First Ten review added on September 16, 2017, at 1:50 am by ReviewerDiksha.

Kitkat3

I like the cover and the title. I enjoy the genre. The blurb really made me want to read the book, and reviews are positive. I would have sampled this book without this program. It appears to be professionally edited. The OnlineBookClub review was mostly positive, and the short length (listed as a negative) doesn't bother me. After reading the first ten pages, I am still interested, and I will read the rest.

First Ten review added on September 16, 2017, at 3:24 am by Kitkat3.

CarrieMe

Based on the cover and blurb, I wouldn't normally choose this book. The cover design makes the book look more like a YA novel than one intended for adults. (I think this is due to the color palette and the graphic behind the title.) The blurb sounded interesting until I got to the part about the young photographer being "bewitchingly beautiful." That really turned me off of the book. After reading the sample, I don't plan to buy or read this book. The story sounds like it'll be fairly interesting, but it seems to me that women in this book are going to be treated in a juvenile manner at best. Even though the female characters were praised for their intelligence, immediately proceeding to describe the narrator's wife as his "little Latina chili pepper" makes that praise come off as extremely patronizing (and a little racist). It also irritates me when all of the men are instantly entranced by an attractive woman, which is exactly what happened with the photographer. It's too bad, because I'd like to know how this story progresses, but if the misogynistic vibes are this strong in the first 10 pages, there's no way I'd be able to deal with it in the whole book.

First Ten review added on September 16, 2017, at 4:45 am by CarrieMe.

truebookaddict

I immediately knew I would want to read this book upon reading the blurb on Amazon. I liked the sound of what seemed to be a smart, science filled science fiction thriller. I was not disappointed upon reading the first ten (plus) pages. The preface alone, with the fox, was very exciting...and I thoroughly enjoyed the science described in the early part of the first chapter (arctic methane, global warming, etc.). I like when books incorporate current issues into the story, especially climate change, a subject I'm very passionate about. This book was free so I did download it (I also purchased the second book!). I do plan to read the whole book...soon. It's relatively short so I should be able to squeeze it into my relatively crammed reading schedule. As far as editing goes, spot on. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors. (Note: This book was officially reviewed on OBC)

First Ten review added on September 16, 2017, at 4:53 am by truebookaddict.

Gingerbo0ks

The premise sounds good and I like the cover of the book. I am not the hugest fan of science fiction so some of the language and terms used tends to put me off. The sample didn't really hold my attention. The review was enough to help me make my decision as it says the language can be stilted at parts, plus I don't think I'd enjoy the books switch to a religious theme.

First Ten review added on September 16, 2017, at 5:26 am by Gingerbo0ks.

hsimone

I might have sampled this read on my own since I do like post-apocalyptic stories. The cover is very eye-appealing and the title is creative. Though the blurb was clear, it wasn't very enticing. Reading the OBC review did not sway me one way or the other. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be edited well. The beginning seemed almost like forced writing, where it wasn't very grabbing. It felt too much like laundry list of character qualities and/or information. Therefore, I do not plan on giving this a full read.

First Ten review added on September 16, 2017, at 5:42 am by hsimone.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, I liked how the author introduced the characters and the storyline. However, the writing seemed a little formal. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. Since I do not read the genre usually, I will not be reading the book further.

First Ten review added on September 16, 2017, at 6:08 am by AA1495.

Cjgarland89

Based on the cover of this book i assumed it is a fantasy, and it's not really something I am into. After sampling my opinion hasn't hanged. I think the female is intriguing, but the content isn't of interest. The OBC review didn't contribute to my decision. There weren't any errors.

First Ten review added on September 16, 2017, at 8:49 am by Cjgarland89.

ReadingRebecca

The cover is attractive. The blurb got me even more excited. I don't recall an OBC review. I may have missed it. In any case, I was hooked at The blurb. After sampling the first ten pages, I had mixed feelings. The opening was exceptional. I was telling myself, “I'm going to read this whole book!” After the incident with the fox, the writing grew a bit clumsy, repeating information about the scientists several times then launching into a practice speech which, I gather is important to the story, but just made me feel like I was sitting in a class I didn't want to take. I would suggest that information be worked into the story in a different way. The writing was proofread well, but I feel a professional editor would have caught the repetitions and the big slowdown in pacing so very near the beginning of the story--the most important part of the story. All in all, the writing is good enough that I will continue reading the book. I'm going to mark that I will finish it, but if it does drag too much as a whole, I'll have to change my mind. My favorite thing was the mystery of the hell holes in the plot. Now that is a “plot hole” worth keeping!

First Ten review added on September 16, 2017, at 11:35 am by ReadingRebecca.

Total ~ 48%

Hell Holes: What Lurks Below earned a score of 48%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 48% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Hell Holes: What Lurks Below