Cover for Justice

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Justice: A Novella

Because Justice was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

Fireside119

This book's cover didn't entice me to read it, and the OBC review dissuaded me when it mentioned that the author narrates the story of a cheating wife and dissects the flaws of the criminal justice system. That storyline doesn't appeal to me, so I won't read the rest of the book. When I read the first ten pages, I liked that the author pointed out that Brynn didn't feel guilty for cheating because that wasn't her first time. I spotted no errors in the text, so I will conclude that it underwent professional editing. There's nothing I disliked about the bit I read, so I wouldn't change anything about it.

First Ten review added on December 7, 2021, at 3:44 am by Fireside119.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Dzejn_Crvena

I like short stories, so I'd have sampled this book based on the genre. The OBC review and the sample convinced me to read it. It's about the infidelity of a wife after her husband was indifferent to her pleas for affection. There's also an issue of being in an abusive relationship because he is not violent. He never hit her, and most people might think it's not considered abuse. I'm interested in reading about how they will settle their dilemma. I like the relevance of the story to the negative side of the reality of marriage. The book seems professionally edited, and I don't have suggestions for improvements.

First Ten review added on December 7, 2021, at 3:13 am by Dzejn_Crvena.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Sou Hi

The cover and the official review from OBC are alright, but the ratings on Amazon are inconsistent. Since the blurb's promising, I decided to give the sample a try. It begins with Brynn. Being neglected by her husband, she has been cheating on him several times.

I like the smooth wording, and the editing looks good. I have no suggestions for improvement. However, I don't like the book's premise, so I won't buy it.

Error example: The joke was so lacking in funniness, she chose not to waste valuable brain neurons remembering it. -> I think the comma is not needed, or it should be replaced by "that."

First Ten review added on December 7, 2021, at 2:12 am by Sou Hi.

Justine Ocsebio

I would have sampled the book based on the blurb, as I was intrigued by the premise. The preface of the book is so poetic. It sets the overall mood of the story, which I like. The first chapter begins with Brynn’s perspective, as she talks about why she no longer feels guilty about cheating on her husband. I’m interested in the story, so I’m going to continue reading the book. The OBC review also affected my decision. I disliked nothing, and I didn’t see anything that needed improvement. The text is well edited.

First Ten review added on December 7, 2021, at 1:59 am by Justine Ocsebio.

brooke oakes

The books cover is interesting, and the title has me curious about the book. For this reason I would have sampled the book. The OBC review dissuaded me when it mentioned marital problems leading to murder. That storyline doesn't appeal to me, so I won't read the rest of the book. When I read the first ten pages, I liked that the author revealed the characters thoughts as they attempted to rationalize their situation. Brynn tries to determine if her actions and infidelity are justified. She tries to explain to herself why she is doing what she is doing. I spotted no errors in the text, so I will conclude that it underwent professional editing. There's nothing I disliked about the bit I read, so I wouldn't change anything about it.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2021, at 6:20 pm by brooke oakes.

Rachael S 1

I like how the title of the book is white against a black drop. It brings the sense of right/wrong to the cover. I am a huge fan of legal justice and the review and the blurb of the book definitely give this a feel of an intense legal thriller. What I liked most about this book was how it started in mystery. The female character is not described other than having a crappy husband and having an affair. Definitely starts the book off on a mystery front. I would be interested in purchasing and reading the full book. I did not find any errors in the first few pages I read.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2021, at 5:21 pm by Rachael S 1.

Yvonne Monique

The book cover is beautiful and mysterious. I would pick this book up if I would see it in a bookstore. The blurb and OBC review give a thorough description of the book. I was surprised to see that the author is the OBC's webmaster, which made me even more curious about the sample. The sample is professionally edited. I liked the writing style and felt straight away drawn into the story. I could relate to Brynn's feelings and understood why she would cheat on her husband. I found it surprising that a male author could so perfectly describe the woman's feelings regarding an unhappy marriage. The only thing that I found slightly annoying, was the constant use of cursive text to emphasise the protagonist's thoughts. As I am curious how this story continues, I will buy the book and read it. I have no suggestions for improvement.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2021, at 5:02 pm by Yvonne Monique.

Michelle Menezes

Based on the title, I thought the book would be about the legal system. The blurb was vague, but the Official OnlineBookClub review shed some light on the story, so I wanted to give it a try. After reading the first ten pages, I have decided to continue with the book. I liked the air of mystery at the beginning of the story. Brynn's thoughts were interesting, and I was curious to know if she was actually being emotionally abused by Marcus, or if it was her way of justifying the cheating. I don't think the book needs any improvement, and I didn't find any errors, so the book seems professionally edited.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2021, at 11:52 am by Michelle Menezes.

Asma Aisha Ansari

As a fan of novellas, I was positive about sampling this book. The official OBC review, the Amazon reviews, and the blurb were encouraging and positive. However, even if I hadn't read them, I would have chosen to sample the book because it's a novella. Besides, the title and the cover also intrigued me. And, anything that talks about abstract concepts like justice and sacrifice always gets my attention.

I liked the writing style and the explanation of abuse. There's nothing that I disliked about the sample. It seems this book is professionally edited, as I found only one minor error in the sample. Here's the sentence with the error: ...sympathy provides not a rescue but a much needed comfort. In this sentence, the words 'much needed' should be hyphenated. I suggest that the book be edited thoroughly once for such minor errors. I've decided to read the rest of the book because the sample is great, and the subject interests me.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2021, at 6:49 am by Asma Aisha Ansari.

Ari Martinez

If it hadn't been for the First Ten program, I would have still sampled this book based on its title, cover, and Official OnlineBookClub review because the criminal justice system is a topic I've been interested in a lot lately. After reading the sample, I will continue to read the book because I thought the narration was captivating. When I got to the end of the sample, I simply wanted more. My favorite part was the tone of the sample. Even though it was narrated in third person, I was easily able to feel Brynn's frustration over her marriage, as if she had been narrating the story herself. The book appears professionally edited, and I can't think of any way to improve it.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2021, at 1:52 am by Ari Martinez.

Eunice Geres

I'm not a fan of the genre, but I like the aspects highlighted in the official review, so I would give the sample a thorough read. I firmly believe in hearing all the sides in every argument. But I sometimes like a hypocrite because my heart literally can't take the side of a cheater in a relationship. So I think this will help me understand the causes of cheating and how two people can move on from that. I feel like this book will teach me what it truly means to have justice. Not just in the relationship settings but also in the judicial system and its flaws. Update: I just read the sample, and no, I cannot finish this book. I really can't read anything from a perspective of a cheater. I just can't. It makes me want to not get married. The narration is great tho. The narration flows smoothly, and the words don't feel cringy. I can already tell Brynn is such a snobby immature spoiled brat. It's really a good thing that the sample only consists of the first chapter. I don't think I can get through ten pages. I don't have anything to recommend. I love the use of italics to differentiate Brynn's thoughts and a third-person pov. I didn't find any grammatical mistakes.

First Ten review added on December 5, 2021, at 9:51 pm by Eunice Geres.

SweetSourSalty AndSpicy

Outside the program, I will skip this book. The title seems to associate with topics about crime. But I cannot relate the cover graphics with the title, except for the stone sculpture of the lady. I suggest reconsidering the book cover for more visual impact. The blurb is concise. It says that the topic is about loyalty and marriage, which I seldom read. Customer reviews are a mix of positive and critical feedbacks but are equally helpful. From the sample, I appreciate that the story opens strongly. The chapter introduces a character with views that deviates from the mainstream. It somehow gives a hint on the approach to the story. The narration flows smoothly. However, fiction about infidelity does not interest me that much so I will still pass. From what I sampled, the editing looks neat. I did not notice any issues. There are several volunteer reviews from the OnlineBookClub. The enthusiasm and insights help to reconsider keeping this book in mind.

First Ten review added on December 5, 2021, at 8:41 pm by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy.

Astral Magi

The cover and title excited me. I would have chosen the book based on these if I hadn't read the first ten pages. The official OBC review, first ten pages, and blurp gave me a better understanding of what the book was about, and I realized that it wasn't my type of book. I don't enjoy books that center around traumatic relationships. I found that Brynn's marriage with Marcus was too stormy for me. There were no errors and nothing needed to be improved. The book was professionally edited

First Ten review added on December 5, 2021, at 6:10 pm by Astral Magi.

markodim721

I would choose to read a sample of this book because of the title and cover. I also read the blurb, editorial reviews, and customer reviews but they did not influence my decision. The title of the book is short and clear. The cover of the book depicts the goddess of justice and fits well with the title. I will read this book because I am intrigued by what lies behind an effective title and attractive cover. While reading the sample I didn’t notice any typos or errors and the book seems like it is professionally edited. Reading the sample somewhat changed my mind from my original guess. I like the detail when Marcus is described as someone walking around the house in worn, dirty pajamas like some neglected child. I don't think anything needs to be improved in the book. The book has an Official OnlineBookClub review, I read it but it also did not influence my decision.

First Ten review added on December 5, 2021, at 4:05 pm by markodim721.

Timothy Rucinski

Loved the cover. I would have plucked this off a table for review immediately. Great graphics and a simple title. In addition, the Official OBC Review was one of the best Official Reviews that I've read. It truly piqued my interest to read this book and, unlike many of the books provided for this exercise, made me want to start reading it immediately. Kudos to the Reviewer. Then I began reading the story and was annoyed that there was so little of the book provided in the Amazon sample. So it only made sense to buy the book immediately, which I did, and hope to be reading it soon. There was nothing that I disliked about the book and I believe it was professionally edited as I found no errors. I thoroughly enjoyed everything that I read. I particularly loved the line, "People hate most adverbs." Such a simple statement but so true. In addition, having been in a similar situation as portrayed in this book, I understand completely the concept of guilt being very close to feelings of anger. Well done. I have no suggestions for improvement.

First Ten review added on December 5, 2021, at 1:41 pm by Timothy Rucinski.

Bertha Jackson

I would have checked this book out based on the author alone. However, the title, cover, and genre grabbed my attention because I enjoy crime thrillers, and they made me think that this was what the book was about. The blurb did not provide enough information to influence me. The editorial and customer reviews made the book sound interesting. I enjoyed reading the first ten pages of the book. These few pages gave me a lot to think about. I like how Scott Hughes discusses the difference between the different types of abuse and how individuals react and judge them. The OnlineBookClub review makes me curious about the murder and what the consequence was with a corrupt criminal system. I did not see any errors in the first ten pages, so I believe a professional editor edited the book. I have no recommendations for the author to change anything because the first few pages drew me into the book. For this reason, I am going to buy and read this book.

First Ten review added on December 5, 2021, at 1:12 pm by Bertha Jackson.

Howlan

The cover looks good. The synopsis gives us a general introduction to this book. The sample is good. The sample introduces us to Brynn, who is cheating on her husband Marcus with Brian. She does not feel attracted to Brain, but she does it anyway. The sample has a monologue of Brynn, as she explains her state of mind. Her thoughts are engaging with a touch of humor now and then and are addictive to read. It never feels overdone and creates my interest in this psychological story. So, I am going to buy and read this book as I am interested in the story. No typos were found in the first ten pages. I found nothing to improve in the first ten pages. The Official Review is present, and the reviewer rates it highly.

First Ten review added on August 16, 2020, at 4:06 am by Howlan.

Aditi Sapate

I wouldn't have chosen to read this book based on the title, cover and genre, as I mostly prefer reading non-fiction books nowadays. The cover too, seems too grave for my liking. From the official OnlineBookClub review, I got a brief overview of the book and what it is about. When I started reading the book, I realised that the book deals with serious topics of adultery and the justice system. The book seems to be written with a lot of insight as to why Brynn doesn't feel guilty when she cheats on her husband and why Marcus behaves the way he does. However, I'm not a fan of reading books with such serious themes. I will not continue reading the book. The sample did not contain any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on August 16, 2020, at 2:07 am by Aditi Sapate.

LeDiplomatique

I would not have chosen Justice by Scott Hughes based on the title. Nevertheless, I would have chosen it based on the cover illustration. After reading the First Ten, I realized it is a book about a neglected wife, Brynn, who takes to a habit of sexually entertaining strangers because her husband Marcus is too busy for her. However, I will not be reading the entire book due to the profanities. I did not come across any errors and did not see anything to improve. I most like that the author gives the reader lots of insight on what is happening in the mind of Brynn. Through her thoughts, the reader can easily get into the story. I did not see the official review of the book so I cannot say if it influenced me.

First Ten review added on August 16, 2020, at 1:57 am by LeDiplomatique.

xsquare

The blurb of the book seems rather compelling, and the cover and title are quite interesting. This genre is difficult to write – as is expected, exploring the human psyche and critiquing the modern justice system are no mean feats. However, when they are written well, books of this genre have the potential to be truly brilliant. Upon reading the sample, I was very intrigued by the premise. My favourite part has to be how the writing style flows very smoothly, and it’s sufficient to make the reader keen to find out more. I did not find any typos, nor did I find any places for improvement. I am certainly keen on reading this book in the future!

First Ten review added on August 16, 2020, at 1:35 am by xsquare.

AvidBibliophile

The cover art successfully conveys a sense of mysterious intrigue and contemplative duality. The Amazon product description consists of a brief excerpt and review blurb, but it still manages to provide a broad plot synopsis of themes. As the story begins, readers are quickly introduced to philandering Brynn and the rationalizing habituation that drives her. The numbness that follows an extinguished sense of guilt creates an emotional sort of detachment all its own. This book appears to have been professionally edited. I assume the oddly appearing line break in the first word of the accessible sample is somehow related to intentional formatting that was done for a decorative drop cap. The 3 published OBC reviews all award this title a perfect rating, as do the great majority of the 30 currently posted Amazon user ratings. Since matrimonial infidelity and a 'disintegrating marriage' are topics I already have more than enough firsthand experience with, I will be passing on this one. For readers who can appreciate a quick exploration into the convoluted complexities of a catastrophic coupledom, this one likely has the potential to thoroughly entertain.

First Ten review added on August 16, 2020, at 1:32 am by AvidBibliophile.

Damis Seres Rodriguez

First of all, I want to say the cover of the book is beautiful. I was immediately attracted to the book. I didn't find any official review, but the volunteer reviews I read rated it well, and that's always a good first impression. As for the sample that I read, the narrative was slightly odd. I had to read some paragraphs two or three times to understand them. The errors I found were probably due to the formatting of the app. There are a few words with random spaces breaking them, for example: "I n the dimly lit bedroom..." Maybe a new round of proof reading could fix that. Sadly, while I was allured by the concept of the book, considering the sample, I don't think I would enjoy reading it, so I won't buy it.

First Ten review added on August 16, 2020, at 12:20 am by Damis Seres Rodriguez.

Jeremie Mondejar

I thought this book was about crime thriller, but when I read the sample, it was more than a crime in a marriage journey. I didn't like the attitude of Brynn towards her husband. Though a lot of women wanted attention from their husbands, in this case, patience and understanding were the right word to describe Brynn in order to satisfy her sexual needs. I will not read this book because I don't like a novel involving divorced-marriages (especially when sexual desires are the root cause). I like the flow of the tale because of the fast-paced narrative. This novel is plainly for adults only due to the sensitive topic of marital-related issues. I found OBC reviews of this book, indeed the reviews were helpful to me as well as the Amazon reviews. The editing is fine, and there's nothing to improve.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2020, at 11:55 pm by Jeremie Mondejar.

Alice Ngugi

I loved reading the first ten pages. The cover itself does justice to the book and would have read the book even before sampling the first ten. The cover seems to imply a dark and deep story. The reviews that I saw also indicate a book worth my time.
I love how the author tries to involve the reader. I felt like I understood Brynn's situation. I also feel the book may be professionally edited since I barely found any errors. It was a perfect start.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2020, at 1:35 pm by Alice Ngugi.

Maria Esposito

I knew I would not be interested in this book before I sampled it. I do not really like the cover design, and both the title and the blurb are rather generic. This made me unsure as to what the book is exactly about. The book has a generally positive average rating on Amazon, but this had no impact on my lack of interest in this book. Reading the first few pages of the book did not make me change my mind. Brynn is cheating on her husband with Brian, but she does not feel guilty about it at all. The narration then goes into describing Brynn's failing marriage to a man who only seems to be concerned about his job. While the topic of the book became clearer to me as I read, I have no interest in reading about failing marriages and cheating wives. I also did not like that the author put so much emphasis on how Brynn wished her husband would hit her. I found this distasteful and disrespectful toward those women who do suffer from domestic abuse. I found no errors, so I assume that the book has been professionally edited. However, there were a lot of words written in cursive, which I did not really appreciate. There was nothing I particularly liked about this book. The book does not have an official review on this website, but this did not impact my initial decision.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2020, at 1:26 pm by Maria Esposito.

edztan15

I was a little bit undecided when I read the blurb and review for this book. I loved the character-driven aspect of its story, but I'm not really into the affair/cheating aspect of it. Reading the sample, I got a domestic vibe from the story. The reader is taken inside the mind of Brynn and shown what her thought process is. I must admit that it is intriguing, but the genre isn't my cup of tea. Though the book appears to be well-edited as mentioned in the review, I will have to take a pass on this.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2020, at 12:34 pm by edztan15.

aacodreanu

Had I not actually sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read or sample this book based on the mysterious cover, the title, as I am interested in matters related to the law, the genre: the novella is a classic in literature and I wanted to see how it was achieved in this case, and the editorial review that I saw, which confirmed my guess. I am going to buy and read the whole book, reading the first ten pages did change my mind from my original guess in a positive way, I was not expecting a soft, frivolous tone in a book with such a ”serious” title. The book seems like it was professionally edited, I did not notice any typos/errors. What I liked most in the bit I read was the coziness and lack of judgment of the narrated facts and attitudes, i.e. of a young adulterous wife. I cannot see anything that could be improved.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2020, at 11:56 am by aacodreanu.

Sanju Lali

The cover and the title indicated to me that the story in this book revolves around elements of betrayal and justice, just knowing that, I read the official review of this book because I was curious to know more about the story and its premise. The official review was brilliant and helped me to understand that this book depicts an unhappy marriage. When Marcus finds his wife, Brynn, cheating on him, their marriage begins to dwindle. This information intrigued me to read the sample of the book before purchasing it. When I read the first ten pages, I realized that this book is professionally edited because I did not find any grammatical or typing errors. The thing l liked the most is the powerful narrative that elegantly depicts the reality of relation between Marcus and Brynn. The book is a kind of an eyeopener that highlights the fact that people like Brynn exist in this world. Brynn's character was unpredictable. Also, the book educates us about the corrupt criminal system that prevails still today. The sentences are loaded with a lot of meaningful aspects of our modern life. My suggestion to the author would be to continue writing a few more good books like this one. Considering all these facts, I decided to purchase and read this book today because it is worth reading.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2020, at 5:46 am by Sanju Lali.

Nikolas Farmakis

This is a novella about the meaning of justice and good. I would have read this book based on the cover, the genre, and the title because I like books related to law and justice. However, I will not read this book, as it contains too much profanity. I did not find errors in the sample I read, so it was a well edited novel. What I liked most about this book was that it contained lots of tension, emotion, drama, and suspesne, which engages the reader in the story. To improve, the author should remove some of the profane sexual scenes that distract the reader from the main plot of the story. This book had an Official OnlineBookClub review, which did not affect my opinions.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2020, at 4:19 am by Nikolas Farmakis.

Elvis Best

Based on the book's title and cover, I would not have read it, because I did not find the title to be catchy enough. Nonetheless, reading the first ten pages changed my mind, as I found it to be captivating. I kept on reading way after the first ten pages because I was entertained by the way the book was narrated. Also, I believe the book has been professionally edited, as I found no errors in the first ten pages. The one thing I liked most was the humorous and satiric nature of the book. Consequently, I couldn't possibly suggest any improvements to the book at this stage. I did read an Official OnlineBookClub review that I think presented the book very well.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2020, at 3:27 am by Elvis Best.

Shrabastee Chakraborty

The cover is great and the official OBC review rates it a full 4 stars. I have always read rave reviews about the book; however, the fact that this is not my preferred genre makes me hesitant to read this one. The first ten pages were without editing issues. They feature Brynn, as she reveals the truth about her failing marriage and infidelity. The author conveys the suffocation she feels in this loveless marriage perfectly. I don't have any suggestions for improvement, either. However, seeing that this is not a genre I enjoy, I would pass this one.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2020, at 3:24 am by Shrabastee Chakraborty.

J_odoyo

After reading the sample of this book, I’ve noticed that Justice: A Novella by Scott Hughes is a wonderfully written and riveting read. Although the sample was very brief, I could tell the storyline of this book seemed to have been wonderfully written. I think the cover page was wonderfully done, and the title was also relevant and attractive. The book’s description and the review posted on the Amazon website were all impressive and gave a vital message about the book. The book also had an OnlineBookClub review, which gave insight into what the book was all about. I didn’t find any error (in the pages I’ve read), except for the spacing error in the first sentence of the first chapter. But I think this was only in the kindle version I downloaded. Therefore, I think the book was professionally edited. The likable thing in this book is its captivating storyline and its writing style. The story of Brynn is creatively penned. She feels no guilt for her infidelity, and seemingly their marriage is soon plunged into trouble. The progress of this book is so promising, and I believe fans of this genre will like it. Having read the OnlineBookClub review and the author’s description, I’m not going to finish reading this book, because I’m not a fan of this genre.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2020, at 3:22 am by J_odoyo.

Mutai Marshal

Brynn and Marcus are in a broken relationship. As husband and wife, things work against them. Marcus is too committed to his occupation. He hardly has time for his wife. Brynn practices infidelity. She sleeps with men, something she is not guilty of committing. She argues that her husband cares less about his dressing and fervently wishes that Marcus would hit her (to give her more reasons to despise him). In the eyes of the public, Marcus is a cool guy. Therefore, no one would believe Brynn if she accused him of abuse. Justice by Scott Hughes was edited by a professional because I found no grammatical errors. The review by OBC promised that it’s an enthralling read. Having sampled a few pages, I can attest that this is indeed a thriller. The cover and review had me decided to read this book, even before sampling. I loved most the humor in it. Brynn’s sentiments were hilarious but also drove her point home. I am going to purchase this thriller as it addresses a theme I love, unfaithfulness, and its effects.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2020, at 2:54 am by Mutai Marshal.

Mrunalpatki

The book cover looks very dark, but the title seems catchy. I read the Official OBC review and read the first few sample pages, and the book seems well-edited. But I don't want to buy this book. I liked that the first chapter was titled Bedroom; it evoked interest. But this kind of marriage story does not fit my forte of reading. The book cover could use some color-palette improvement. It seems very dark and unattractive.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2020, at 2:50 am by Mrunalpatki.

Reader047

Justice by Scott Hughes sounds like an interesting, thought-provoking, and fascinating novel. The book is divided into five sections (part one, part two, part three, part four, and the end). I liked the cover page of this book—it is amazing. The story follows an unfaithful woman(Bryñn), who doesn't feel guilty when committing adultery( cheating on his husband, Marcus). The storyline seems to be well-crafted. I've sampled the first few pages( a sample on the Amazon), and I found no error—it seemed to be professionally edited. It had a well-woven review, present on OnlineBookClub which gave an insight into what the book entails. I also liked how the author began his story in an interesting way "Sympathy shines the only light in the dark impassable tunnels constructed between all of us. Forever alone, destined for the abyss of existential annihilation, the dim light of sympathy provides not a rescue but a much-needed comfort." Generally, I liked the book, and I'm going to add it to my must-read books.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2020, at 2:05 am by Reader047.

Kaitlyn Canedy

I likely wouldn't have read the sample of Justice if it was not the OnlineBookClub book of the day. The author is one that I would not think to look up, which is why I state this. I read the sample, but I was not too impressed because it mentioned cheating on a spouse. I was uncomfortable with this idea, making me decide to skip it. The official OnlineBookClub review was not very informative, and was much more choppy than other official reviews that I have read in the past. Sadly, it was not enough to convince me to change my decision. I will give credit where it is due though. I enjoyed how the flow was smooth, and that there were no grammatical errors in the first ten pages that I read. The cover was very fitting for the topic and the contents within as well.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 11:53 pm by Kaitlyn Canedy.

Rodel Barnachea

I found the official OnlineBookClub review a little encouraging, but I ultimately decided to not buy this book. I did not find the characters relatable; I don’t think I'll enjoy reading this novella. After I sampled the book, my decision still stands. It is because of the reason I’ve stated before. What I liked the most is reading about Brynn’s reasons for her infidelity. I have always thought cheaters are bad, but I never considered the reasons behind their cheating. This served as an eye-opener to me that we shouldn’t instantly judge people. The book seems professionally edited, as I didn’t notice any errors when I read the sample. I don’t think there is anything I can suggest to improve the quality of the book.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 10:47 pm by Rodel Barnachea.

moowshiri

I find the book's cover being a bit unattractive to my eyes. Therefore, I would have easily overlooked it had I not been part of this program. Hughes should improve more on its aesthetic look. However, I decided to buy and read the book to its last page after sampling its first ten pages. I loved the plot; it's very captivating, and I would want to know more details on Brynn's infidelity to Marcus. I wouldn't say I liked the numerous f-bombs in the book. Nonetheless, they didn't affect my reading in any way. The book has an official review from OnlineBookClub, and it has no errors in the few pages that I read.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 9:19 pm by moowshiri.

Odette Chace

I like the simplicity of the title and cover. The synopsis on Amazon was a bit vague and didn't sell me on the book. However, the official Online Book Club review provided much more information about the book and gave it a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The fact that the reviewer could not find a single error in the book is also very promising. I'm looking forward to sampling the book. While reading, I did not notice any errors. I believe the work was professionally edited and I found the writing intriguing. I would like to finish reading the book in the future. I found it a little jarring that the narrator asked the reader directly if Brynn's infidelity made her awful but then went on to give the answer: no. However, since many people would probably answer yes, directly refuting this answer forces the reader to become more emotionally invested in the narrator's argument, so I can see why that stylistic choice was made.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 6:31 pm by Odette Chace.

Adrianna Melillo

I’ve recently become very interested in the corrupt justice system in America; so coming across this book today felt a little serendipitous. Additionally, in the Official OnlineBookClub review, this book is described as “both blunt and poetic.” Writing that “says it like it is,” but does so with elegance and grace, is truly work to be commemorated. Therefore, I was very excited to read the sample. The sample did not disappoint. The reviewer was right about the combination of blunt and poetic writing. I also like the way the author interacts slightly with the reader. It’s not in an obvious way, but it seems the narrator is aware of the reader. The line that sealed the deal, however, was this: “The funny thing about guilt is how close it lives to anger.” I couldn’t agree more, but have never actually heard it put that way before. It felt nice to know someone understands the feeling. I did notice some spacing issues in the first sentence (and a few others after), but that could just be the sample version conforming to my phone screen. Other than that, I didn’t notice any spelling or grammatical errors, and have no suggestions for improvement. I will be buying and reading this book!

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 6:20 pm by Adrianna Melillo.

Brenda Creech

I would have checked out this book just by the cover and title alone. The cover caught my eye at first glance. The official review was informative and left me with enough questions that I wanted to know the answers to, although I still wasn't sure about reading it. However, after reading the sample, I knew I wanted to find out why Brynn didn't feel guilty for cheating on Marcus. What had he done that made her justify committing adultery? I am already assuming Marcus must have done something terrible for Brynn to cheat on him, so I will have to finish reading it to find out. In the portion I read, I did not find any errors. It was very well-edited. The only thing I would say needs to be improved is to remove the stronger curse words. Other than that, I enjoyed everything about what I read. I am going to get this book and read it at my earliest convenience.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 6:10 pm by Brenda Creech.

Kirsi Cultrera

Justice appeared to me as a modern-day story of broken relationships. I know this is a harsh reality for many people, but for me, it was somewhat challenging to relate. I enjoyed the author’s gripping and emotionally loaded style of writing. I also could not find any faults in the editing of the book. The cover was quite appealing and fit the contents rather well. To conclude, everything seemed to be well and professionally made. Still, I doubt I am going to read Justice any time soon. I do not find any faults of the book itself, I just find reading about broken relationships a bit depressing. Until now, I have not encountered any reviews about this book, but am quite sure they would not change how I feel about the given topic.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 5:13 pm by Kirsi Cultrera.

Jorge Leon Salazar

The story begins by telling about a woman Brynn who had sex with Bryan, who is not her husband. She doesn't feel guilty about it. In fact, it is not the first time she did it. The exhibition focuses on the description of the unfortunate marriage between Brynn and Marcus.
I found the description of the relationship interesting where the psychological and emotional abuse experienced by Brynn inflicted by her husband stands out. Although I believe that deception is unjustified without possessing all the elements of judgment, the approach to abuse, not necessarily physical, is interesting. Brynn resorts into deception without feeling guilty, that is very intriguing.
The official review praises the book, which encourages reading. The story is gripping with a simple and direct plot. Although in the sample the relationship with the issue of justice is yet unobserved, which also generates curiosity. In conclusion, if I would like to read the rest of this book, as soon as I can. The edition seems outstanding since I did not encounter any typo. The cover is extremely dark, which I believe makes it look less attractive, but it is consistent with the title and content of the book

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 4:40 pm by Jorge Leon Salazar.

Gabrielle Sigaki

Justice by Scott Hughes is a fiction book that contains crime, infidelity, suspense, and mystery. When I read its featured OnlineBookClub review, I was already interested in the plot since it seemed the author presented diverse views of the events, which sounded captivating. After sampling the book, I didn't change my mind, and I'm going to read the entire novel since it's dynamic, gripping, it has fast pacing, and it's hard to put it down. There's nothing that could be improved in the story, and it seems professionally edited.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 4:36 pm by Gabrielle Sigaki.

Tonika632

Since I like the genre of this book, I would sample it. The first ten pages didn't impress me. I don't like the style of writing since the author wrote it in present time, therefore I will not read it. I also think that the style could be improved a bit. It feels like the amateur wrote the book, but I also think that the book has a great potential. I have found no errors, and I can tell it is professionally edited. This book has the official review.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 3:10 pm by Tonika632.

elisathelvarik

I would not have chosen this novella based on its title, cover, and description. The description details some serious topics such as divorce and the faults of the justice system. I never choose books with heavier topics because I use reading as an escape from reality. The official review gave a good overview of each of the characters and their storylines. The official review allowed me to have a better idea of what to expect from the sample. The first ten pages go into depth about Brynn, who does not feel bad about constantly cheating on her husband Marcus. We get to see what goes through her mind and her aggression towards Marcus and his job. It was really interesting to see how she reasons her actions by blaming Marcus. With that side, I do not agree and I don't know if I want to read more about Brynn. I have no notes of improvement. I will not buy and read this book as of now. I love this concept of justice from different perspectives, so I may revisit this book in the future, but it is unlikely this year. These topics are pretty heavy, and I am not in the mindset to read about it. I found no errors or typos. The book is exceptionally well-edited.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 3:09 pm by elisathelvarik.

AntonelaMaria

Before reading the sample, I was curious about this book. The blurb is really interesting, and it catches the reader's eye. My only concern is that there are so many topics that this book is trying to tackle, but there are only 82 pages. After reading the sample, I am still interested in this book. There weren't any grammatical errors, as far as I could tell. I read some of the reviews, as well as those on the OnlineBookClub site. There isn't an Offical review, but I don't mind it. The only thing that needs change is the price. For a novella, it is too expensive.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 2:33 pm by AntonelaMaria.

Stephanie Runyon

The cover and title of this book are perfect for the contents. The OBC review was well written to avoid spoilers. I already have purchased and read this book but recommend it highly to anyone wanting to see the view of the criminal justice system. The characters are well developed and it is easy to see the world through their eyes. The book is professionally edited and there is nothing to improve on it. I finished reading it in one sitting, and am happy to have it in my own library.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 2:19 pm by Stephanie Runyon.

Diana Lowery

I felt intimidated when I saw on the cover that the author was Scott Hughes, the man who pays me to write these words. How honest can I be? After reading the blurb and reading the Kirkus Review, I was confused. Aren't they a rival company? I noticed that the dedication was to the author's children. Since the book is about adultery and used profanity, I was again perplexed. The review was favorable but did contain multiple grammatical errors, which led to more questions. Why was that review chosen? After reading the excerpt, I was convinced not to finish reading the book because of the sex and language. However, I was impressed with the writing style, and I did not see any significant errors.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 2:10 pm by Diana Lowery.

Melisa Jane

The concept of justice can be complicated. I've watched several lectures about it and I become amused every time. For that reason, I would have sampled this book based on its title. After sampling it, I will finish reading it because, although the topic of infidelity in a family doesn't really interest me, I'm eager to find out the connection of these events to the book's title. I'm sure I'll find another interesting view. I liked the author's writing style, especially those deep lines that leave readers reflecting upon themselves. I have no improvement suggestions. I didn't find any grammatical errors while reading. I didn't notice any review but that's because I haven't checked yet. This, however, didn't influence my decision.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 12:37 pm by Melisa Jane.

Twylla

I would not buy and read Justice. I don't care for romance novels. And I prefer more uplifting material.

The book seems to be well written and professionally edited. I didn't see any errors in the sample text on Amazon.

My favorite thing about the text I read was the reference to Chris Farley - she likes a sense of humor in a man but she didn't dream about the hundreds of pounds of hilariousness of Chris Farley.

My only suggestion for improvement is to somehow lengthen the Amazon sample text. I must not have read enough of the book to get a good idea of what it was about. The OBC review was so good and so complementary, but my feeling about the book was very neutral.

The online book club review was very well done.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 12:33 pm by Twylla.

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda

The cover of the book is very well designed, but it gave me the impression of a procedural novel. However, the blurb clears it up and it captured my attention because of the questions it poses. I like deep psychological dives and this novella seems to offer that. The ratings are good, so I would've bought the book based on first impressions.
I loved the first ten pages. My favorite asset is how well constructed is Brynn's character, which is no easy feat when the author is a male. Her situation is extremely relatable. I feel sad to admit once or twice I've wanted my own husband "taken away and thrown in some kind of orphanage or foster home or whatever." Sometimes the problems that break marriages are not huge physical abuse. Emotional abuse is real and passive aggression can be very distressing. I thank the author for shining light on this not so obvious kind of abuse. I also love the subtle erotism of the opening lines "her thigh resting ever so lightly on the bed frame." The fact that the author lets the reader create his own opinion instead of providing an omniscient judgment is very enriching.
The editing seems to be flawless. The only suggestion I have is to improve the cover. The official review hyped me up even more.

First Ten review added on August 14, 2020, at 11:59 am by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda.

Ekta Kumari

I would have sampled the book as I checked out the summary and reviews of the book and it seemed like a thought-provoking read. It highlights marital relationships and the feelings behind infidelity in it. I like how the wife's emotions are portrayed and compel the reader to think about betrayal and who really is at fault for it. It's a thoughtful book and would be a good one for those who like stimulating writing. I didn't find any major error; however, I did notice an issue with formatting in the first chapter, where the word 'In' has extra spacing between it. Otherwise, the book is properly edited with no grammatical error. I would like to read the whole book as I like the sample I read. The absence of an official review does not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on July 6, 2019, at 2:27 am by Ekta Kumari.

Mary WhiteFace

Without the first ten pages, I would not have wanted to sample this book. Books about struggling marriages are not something I am interested in, even if there are life lessons woven into the story.

What I liked best was how the author was able to invoke sympathy for Brynn as she justified within herself the reasons for her infidelities. I was able to feel her pain and confusion as she convinced herself that what she was doing was okay, based upon her feelings of neglect and emotional abuse. Even though the author was able to pull me into the narrative to the point that I was wondering why she didn't just leave her husband if she was so unhappy, my curiosity was not motivating enough for me to want to continue reading passed the first ten pages. Emotionally charged stories such as these are hard for me to read. The author's writing style was captivating, but the subject matter was not one I enjoy.

The book seemed to be professionally edited. I have no suggestions for improvements. There was an OnlineBookClub review which did not influence my decision. I will not be reading this book.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2019, at 9:27 pm by Mary WhiteFace.

unamilagra

Before sampling this book, I probably would not have picked it up, because divorce is a topic I don't generally enjoy. After reading the first ten pages, I found the book to be well written with an interesting look into Brynn's justification for her cheating. However, the book is a bit dark for my personal taste. I don't plan to continue reading the book. I didn't notice any errors in the pages I read.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2019, at 7:26 pm by unamilagra.

Emy Katherine

As I am a huge fan of psychological thriller novels, I would have read the book on my own. The lack of an official OnlinBookClub review did not change my mind; actually, reading the sample increased my interest in this short book. This book questions the reader about what is fair or unfair by sharing the thoughts, emotions, actions of unhappy people who live their lives going through the motions. I found the author's writing style clear and pleasant to read. Even though the characters are not lovable, they are realistic and relatable. I felt Brynn's sadness and anger as she shared how her husband abused her emotionally. The book also seems like it was professionally edited; I did not find any typos or grammatical errors. Considering the book has great Amazon ratings, those who enjoy reading thought-provoking novels will enjoy this short book.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2019, at 4:08 pm by Emy Katherine.

evraealtana

I would not have selected this book because the cover is extremely vague and does not suggest what the book is actually about in any way. Having read the first ten pages, I still do not think I will continue with it because I am not engaged by the storyline so far and don't really have any investments in any of the characters. However, I really enjoy the author's writing style, which is witty and darkly humorous. I will look into other works by the same author to try to find one with which I connect. I found two errors in the first ten pages: the protagonist claims that the "sleeps with whoever she wants" (whomever), and then asks question beginning with "So what if" and ending with a period instead of a question mark. There was no official OBC review, but that did not change my impressions of the book.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2019, at 12:34 pm by evraealtana.

Nisha Ward

I might not have picked it up on my own, purely because this type of book isn't one that I would go for. That would be a mistake. Scott Hughes' Justice offers an interesting look into the dissolution of a marriage that feels and reads viscerally. I particularly enjoyed both the analysis of the kind of man Brian was based on his jokes and how the main character's husband was emotionally but not physically abusive. Not only that but it's well-edited, leading me to say that I will be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2019, at 12:22 pm by Nisha Ward.

Hiruni Bhagya 81

Though I didn't find any OBC reviews on this book, the title, cover, genre, and specially its blurb made me interested in this book. But, after finding out it's about cheating and a married couple, I lost interest in it. Also, the knowledge that it's only 82 pages in length also affected my decision as my interest lies in lengthy books where I can't reach the end within few hours. After sampling the book, I didn't think this book would suit my tastes as I'm not interested in reading about family drama, specially between husbands and wives. What I liked most about this book was the author's open-mindedness when presenting the tale from the woman's point of view. I don't think there's anything that needs improving. I didn't notice any errors and I'm sure those who like this type of books will find it to be a great read.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2019, at 7:18 am by Hiruni Bhagya 81.

Lorraine De Vos

I would have chosen to sample this book based on the title. After reading the first ten pages I decided that this book is not for me. I did not enjoy the brazen infidelity and questionable morality of the character. I think if the sample pages were extended to include a little more of the story, I may have been able to justify her actions if I knew more about what happened to her. Pity there was no official OnlineBookClub review, as I think this would have helped provide more information on what could be expected. I believe the book was professionally edited; I did not notice any errors. If I had to change something, I would change the cover to depict a sad woman to make the reader subconsciously more sympathetic towards the character in the beginning of the book.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2019, at 12:35 am by Lorraine De Vos.

Mbrooks2518

The cover and title caught my interest at first. However, after reading the Amazon summary and the sample, the plot did not capture my interest, so I will not be buying this book. I did like the preface. It was very poetic, particularly the last line, "The darkness within us all too often overcomes the dim light between us." I did not notice any editing mistakes, and the lack of an official review did not affect my opinion.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2019, at 11:54 pm by Mbrooks2518.

srividyag1

The cover seems cool with its dark, looming figures. I couldn't find any review in OBC, still I wanted to read it because 1. It was written by Scott Hughes and I was curious. 2. It seemed to be of the psych thriller/court drama genre, both of which I am in the mood for right now. I read the sample where a woman called Brynn is introduced. With each successive line, we find that she is the one doing the cheating. Our mind initially gravitates to thinking that her husband is the victim, but we then glimpse into her mind and see her rationale for doing what she does. Scott has made us swing between sympathizing with Brynn and feeling bad for doing it. Brynn says how her husband has emotionally abused her and never physically. Being a victim of emotional abuse in a toxic relationship, I could relate to this. This makes people call Brynn as melodramatic. People do have a tendency to sympathize mostly with a physically abused victim, than with an emotionally abused one. My favourite concept in the sample was "Are guilt and anger two sides of the same coin?" The book seems professionally edited and has good literary quality. I would like to read the rest of this psychological thriller.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2019, at 11:49 pm by srividyag1.

Verna Coy

Had I not sampled the book through the First Ten program, I probably would have picked it up for a second look. The title is simple and has an impact, and the cover is done in nice contrasts. I don’t plan to buy and read the whole book. Although I approve of justice in matters of infidelity, I don’t often enjoy reading about it. Reading the first ten pages confirmed my impressions from the title and cover, so everything seems balanced out well. Based on what I read, the book seems professionally edited, and I found no errors. What I liked most about what I read was the way that Brynne seemed to be struggling a little with her conscience, even though she dismissed it each time. The reading sample leaves the impression that this is a very emotional read. I know this book will appeal to those who enjoy books featuring relationships. I didn’t notice anything that needed to be improved in the sample that I read. I did not see an Official Online Book Club review.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2019, at 7:25 pm by Verna Coy.

Kelsey Fulton

Had I not sampled the first ten pages, I may have picked up this book to check out. It seems interesting and I like the genre. The part I liked most from the first ten pages was the exciting beginning, as readers are launched right into the main character's various affairs and tumultuous marriage. The author wastes no time in setting up the story. The part I disliked most was the main character's clear lack of concern for her husband, though I'm sure this mindset is explained deeper in the book. I noticed no spelling or grammar issues in the sample, so I believe this book is professionally edited. Because of the excitement and questions left unanswered by the very beginning (that I am curious to discover), I will be reading this book.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2019, at 5:29 pm by Kelsey Fulton.

danielleamy

I like the cover; it's dramatic and fairly simple. It looks like it could be either a memoir or a dramatic novel from a first glance. After reading the sample, I was starting to become interested in Brynn and her relationship issues. The section about emotional abuse was quite hard-hitting. I began to sympathise with her character, but the sample was fairly short, so I wasn't sure about buying the book.

It seems that although this is a short novel/novella, it is incredibly thought-provoking. I have read many positive reviews on Amazon, which have made me want to read this more. I will definitely consider this in the future if I want a quick read or a deep psychological thriller in the future! However, I will not be buying/reading it today. No OBC review influenced my decision. There were also no errors or typos that I could see, which was great. There was just one formatting issue at the beginning of Chapter 1, as the first word "In" was separated into 2 lines. The rest did look professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2019, at 4:19 pm by danielleamy.

Aubrey Lewis

Judging from the cover and title, I didn't expect much, but when I read the blurb as well as the reviews for this book, I got intrigued. As I finished the free sample, I thought to myself that this was definitely an engaging read. I liked it because it was pretty thought-provoking and also because the author was brave enough to write about a controversial issue like infidelity into this novella. I can slightly sympathize with the woman in the book, but I don't condone her actions, either. It was a good read, albeit short, and well-written. I did not notice any errors or typos while I was reading, so I think this book was professionally edited. In conclusion, I'd like to read more of this book eventually, so I will put this into my reading list.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2019, at 3:17 pm by Aubrey Lewis.

Lisa A Rayburn

Had I not been in this program, it is unlikely that the title or cover would have prompted me to pick up this book. The author, genre and reviews, however, most definitely would have. Reading the sample intrigued me. Brynn is sexually liberated, but only because she feels wronged. I'm interested to see how that works out for her. Although the book is outside of my normal fare, the sample intrigued me enough to convince me to continue on to finish the book, especially considering that it is a novella. The book seemed well edited. I found no errors.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2019, at 2:57 pm by Lisa A Rayburn.

lisalynn

The blurb for "Justice" is tiny. It's so general that it's hard to get an idea of what this book is about. The cover is not much help either, with a jumble of images that may or may not relate to each other. Heroine Brynn uses the word "melodramatic" to describe how her problems would be received by others. She's not been hit by her passive-aggressive jerk of a husband, but she's emotionally abused and deeply unhappy. And so she has sex with other men. That's all well and good, probably happens a lot, but this whole first chapter is indeed Brynn waxing on and on in true melodramatic fashion. To emphasize this, even more, there's an abundance of italicization throughout the chapter. A little goes a long way with any kind of unusual font, and this amount makes reading difficult. I don't feel sorry for Brynn, or that interested in her fate. This one won't make my list. I didn't see any errors. No OnlineBookClub review influenced me.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2019, at 2:32 pm by lisalynn.

gen_g

I have not come across reviews of this book; it is also professionally edited. I like that the first chapter gives the reader an insight into Brynn's rationale behind her lack of guilt when committing infidelity (because to Brynn, her marriage is over after the emotional abuse she has been subjected to). I also like that it provides food for thought - why does abuse need to be physical in order to be taken seriously? I currently have no suggestions for improvement. I will be purchasing the book today.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2019, at 12:40 pm by gen_g.

Theresa Moffitt

I like the title of this book. I also am really drawn to the images. I would have picked this book up based on the cover alone. I haven’t read a review of this book yet. The first chapter of the book is told from the point of view of the character Brynn. Brynn is a married woman cheating on her husband, Marcus. However, this is not the first time. The first chapter takes a look at infidelity and what drove Brynn to continue cheating on her husband with no guilt or remorse. The story is interesting and well-written. I would like to finish reading this book. I did not see any errors, so I believe the book was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2019, at 11:58 am by Theresa Moffitt.

Juliana_Isabella

I wouldn't have chosen this book because I usually like sci-fi, and I was a little confused about why it didn't have a review. After reading the first ten pages, I didn't find any grammatical errors, but I also couldn't connect with the main character. It's hard to care about someone who's introduced cheating on her husband without a reason. Because of this, I won't finish the book.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2019, at 11:23 am by Juliana_Isabella.

Fu Zaila

I really like the cover and I couldn't help reading the sample completely. The book is beautifully written. Brynn's conflicting emotions that are no longer conflicting, is beautifully described. She doesn't seem like a likeable character though, but that's fine. There wasn't anything I disliked. The writing was very compelling and professionally edited with no errors. I was surprised and then not, to find that this book is written by Scott! Definitely going to add this to my list.

First Ten review added on December 16, 2018, at 1:45 am by Fu Zaila.

Sharill Rasowo

If I had not read the sample, I probably would not have read the book. This is because I am not into books about cheating spouses. There was no official OnlineBookClub review but this did not affect my perception of the book. Reading the sample, I could confirm that it was not my kind of book. The main character starts by cheating on her husband and then explaining that she does not feel guilty because he abuses her emotionally. I found myself unable to empathize with the character, so I would not buy and read this book. I spotted one typo at the very beginning, the word "in" had a space in between which should not have been there.

First Ten review added on December 16, 2018, at 12:07 am by Sharill Rasowo.

Samantha Simoneau

I like that the blurb on the Amazon page is short. I even like that it is a series of questions, although the second one feels redundant. There are less than 30 reviews, but most are at least 4 stars, which is good. The word "thought-provoking" kept popping out at me when I perused the reviews. That's encouraging. There should be a comma between "dark" and "impassable." The word "the" that follows the colon should be capitalized because the rest of the sentence can stand alone as a whole sentence. "10th Grade" should be lowercase and hyphenated: "tenth-grade math." There's a missing comma between "Now" and "Jeff." There should be a comma between "now" and "in," as well as between "habituation" and "she." "Back" after the colon should be capitalized because the rest of the sentence after the colon is a complete sentence. Brynn's inner "monologue" is a bit annoying in its redundancy. There should be a comma between "Hell" and "no." "Whoever she wants" should be "whomever she wants." Okay, Brynn strikes me as really immature. I feel like I'm reading the diary of an angsty teenager (adultery notwithstanding), with all the italics, swearing, and the whiny tone. I do agree, from sad experience, about the way people react to claims of emotional abuse as opposed to physical abuse. "Abused wife" in "abused wife story" should be hyphenated. "So what if he hit on several other women at the gym" should end in a question mark, not a period. Okay, so the verdict is that I'm not interested in reading this. Brynn has not engaged me emotionally. She feels, well, whiny. I'm not unsympathetic to her situation, but I find it more difficult to identify with it while reading her angsty thoughts. Coupled with the editing problems, I wouldn't want to spend $2.99 on this.

First Ten review added on December 15, 2018, at 10:02 pm by Samantha Simoneau.

Nelsy Mtsweni

I love the cover of the book, so I would have chosen to read the book. Having read the sample and the review, l found this book to be an interesting and intriguing book. Marcus arrives at his home to find his wife with another man, Brian. He gets really angry after being betrayed in this hurtful way by the love of his life. I hated that Marcus ended up killing his wife. Although the wife had done something this horrible, I do not believe that murdering her was the best solution. No one has ownership over another's life. I am planning on reading the book entirely because I want to see what the law does to Marcus. The book was professionally edited. Thanks.

First Ten review added on December 15, 2018, at 11:48 am by Nelsy Mtsweni.

Sonya Nicolaidis

I liked the look of this book from the beginning. The front cover is attractive, and the Amazon reviews all say what a wonderful tale this is, and speak of a twist at the end (which is always appealing to me). There was no OBC review of this book, unfortunately. The blurb indicates that it belongs in the crime/suspense genre which makes it all the more interesting. First impressions suggested that this would be a great book for me. I started to read the sample, and was pleased to find no grammatical errors, so I can only assume that the book has been professionally edited. The beginning begins with a lot of introspection by Brynn, which I found became a little laborious after a while. While useful for giving a little background to her behavior, I think perhaps a little of the description could have been delayed to appear few pages later. I really liked the prologue, and was impressed by he one quote that states “The darkness within us all too often overcomes the dim light between us.” This holds the promise of something unexpected up ahead. The inclusion of the promised final twist would definitely keep me reading this book through to the end, so I would say this one is a “yes” for me.

First Ten review added on December 15, 2018, at 2:52 am by Sonya Nicolaidis.

Ashiyya Tariq

The sample and the cover of the book was quite intriguing that enhanced my curiosity to read more of this book. So I would definitely buy and read the whole book. It's a story of an infidel wife, who chose the way of betrayal and infidelity instead of connecting to her husband. Her connections with multiple partners break the sanctity of this relationship. I like the fact, this book diverts attention to an important social issue that is spoiling marriages in society and disintegrating the institution of marriage which is the base of a sounds and healthy society and gurantees pure relationships, free from betrayal and debauchery. Of source, relationship of husband and wife needs trust, love and respect of each other. If both don't cooperate and fulfill their obligations related to each other, this relationship cannot work well. I think it is the most beautiful relationship on earth if it is in good shape. And is the worst, if it is in bad shape. The book is professionally edited. And my decision for this book is OK.

First Ten review added on December 15, 2018, at 1:43 am by Ashiyya Tariq.

Chelsy Scherba

This book is well written with impeccable editing and formatting. Brynn is a sad woman in an abusive marriage to Marcus who doesn’t fulfill her needs and masks his true personality around others. Brynn’s thoughts about her infidelity were sad and disheartening, and made me curious to know what she plans to do apart from cheating on him. Unfortunately, this book isn’t for me because of the darker subject matter and use of strong language and themes. I do like the cover image and the title, it made me curious about the plot. There was no review, so hopefully there will be one in the future.

First Ten review added on December 15, 2018, at 12:56 am by Chelsy Scherba.

CinWin

I liked the cover of "Justice: A Novella" by Scott Hughes. However, it did not really tell you what the book was about, so I read the first 10 pages. The preface basically tells us that this is a novel about how the darkside of humans sometimes overshadows the light side of sympathy and caring within us. The first chapter begins with a woman who is in a loveless marriage and is having affairs to compensate for the mental abuse from her husband. I really enjoyed the deepness of the plot and how he tells it like it is. However, I won't be finishing it because it is not my genre. There was not an onlinebookclub review and there should have been because the sample was so small. I think it was professionally edited because I saw no mistakes.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 11:53 pm by CinWin.

Sahani Nimandra

Justice by Scott Hughes is about a distancing relationship between a cheating wife and a occupied husband. When I was reading the book I felt like the narrator wanted its reader to be a good listener. I felt the narrator wanted to talk to someone. Unlike the official review, I got a better picture by sampling this read. I'm not surprised by the fact that Brynn cheating on her husband, Marcus. Marcus always occupied with his job made Brynn feel neglected. It's not Brynn's fault but Marcus is to blamed for their crappy relationship. But most importantly cheating isn't the answer for this. Just because you feel neglected it doesn't mean sleeping with men is acceptable. True, he reduced her to that state of mind, yet unacceptable. I found a certain amount of errors, and I wish to requests another proofreading session."I n the dimly lit bedroom" - the wordings "In"; "That is what someone feeling guilty would do..." - should be "when" not "what" (p.53). Honestly, I didn't feel reading it further. I felt like I was pressed down, but sure some readers who like this type of read would enjoy it.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 11:12 pm by Sahani Nimandra.

Jsovermyer

The cover, for the book Justice by Scott Hughes, is good and would cause me to pick it up to investigate further. The title, Justice, is a little confusing, as I thought that this might be a story about a criminal lawyer, or maybe a patriotic soldier. When I began reading, I was surprised that it started as a story of a cheating wife. The story is extremely compelling with good character development. It is well edited and I found no grammatical or spelling mistakes. I didn’t like the character of Brynn, the unfaithful wife, at all. I felt no sympathy for her and think that she is pathetic, blaming her husband for her unhappiness. Even though I didn’t like the character, I was intrigued by her. What will happen next? Will she finally decide to get a divorce? What will happen when her husband finds out about her cheating? Is he really as bad and emotionally abusive as she implies at the beginning of the story? There was not an official review available, so I have no further information on which to base my opinion. Although I found this story interesting, I don’t feel that I would want to read it at this time.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 10:36 pm by Jsovermyer.

FictionLover

I would not have read this book without the first ten. The title makes me think it is a crime or mystery novel, but it is rather vague, and I was not sure what it was about. The cover is also vague and hard to make out. The Amazon description about sacrifice and loyalty caught my interest. However the sample turned me off, because Brynn is such a unlikeable character. I know flawed characters are very popular in fiction, but I could not imaging reading a whole book about this woman. Her ideas about throwing herself down the stairs and blaming her husband was distasteful, as were her ideas about guilt and anger. The book seemed professionally edited, I did not notice any errors.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 9:19 pm by FictionLover.

LV2R

The book cover and title seem interesting, but dark. The Amazon Blurb did not give me enough to know exactly what to think about the book. It does ask some pertinent questions, like “What do you do when you sacrifice everything for nothing?” The other questions allude to a bad relationship. While reading the sample, I felt Brynn’s bad emotions of hate, disgust, resentment, and anger she had towards her husband, Marcus. I best like that the author was able to write in such a way to transmit Brynn’s feelings clearly to the reader. This shows skill in writing. The book seems to be edited well, as I did not notice any errors. There wasn’t an OBC review, but I think it would have helped to know what the story would be about more clearly. I choose not to read this book because the hate, affairs, bad marriage, and an overall feeling of something bad will happen just don’t attract me to read it. Even though I want to read it because the author is Scott Hughes, I don’t think the content will make me feel good or encouraged.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 8:18 pm by LV2R.

revna01

This book discusses some interesting conversation concepts centered around quantifying abuse in a marriage, infidelity, loyalty, betrayal, and justification. The first ten pages revealed no editing errors as Brynn is getting ready to continue her sexual affair with Brian. Her thoughts run wild over her lack of guilt, and she seems to really be trying to convince herself that her actions are justified. I like the way the author really delves into the complex web of emotions Brynn is experiencing, as I feel it is very true to reality. I didn't find any room for improvement. I like the title, but I think the cover might be better served using just the Statue of Liberty photo. I didn't find an Online Book Club review of this book. Although I have an interest in psychology and human behavior, I'm not especially drawn to the concept of failing marriages and the circumstances surrounding its disintegration. For that reason I won't be purchasing this novella at this time.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 7:03 pm by revna01.

Julie Green

I would choose to read this book based on the title and cover; the one-word title is intriguing and I like the artistic design of the cover imagery. Having read the opening pages, I will be reading the rest of the book.
The opening is compelling and impactful - the reference to our mortal destiny of existential annihilation hits you straight in the face. We are then introduced to Brynn in such a way that we do a double take as we realise that the man she is about to have sex with is not her husband. Brynn seems to be a complex character as she reflects on her guilt (or lack of) over cheating on her husband. I'm drawn into wanting to understand to more about Brynn and her relationship with her husband.
I did not spot any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 5:19 pm by Julie Green.

britt13

There was no official review of this book which I found really odd since it is Hughe's book. I was excited by the fact that it was a psychological thriller but was worried about the cheating aspect. I have to be honest, I did not like the sample. It was very soap opera feeling, which is not something I like. I also did not like the short choppy sentences. It seemed like if used a little less it would have been more effective. Also, the excessive use of italics were distracting. It felt like if better descriptors were implemented they would not have been needed. All of that being said, I found no errors and I am aware that this type of book does appeal to a lot of people; It is just not for me. For that reason, I will not be reading further.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 4:17 pm by britt13.

Kajori Sheryl Paul

'Justice' by Scott Hughes is a psychological thriller. The title, cover page, and the customer reviews in Amazon did a good job of convincing me to give the book a try. However, I have to mention that an OBC review would have been desirable.

The first ten pages of the book leads me to believe that it deals with the emotional pain one faces in an disintegrating marriage. I like the way the author delves deep in the mind of the character. Though I have very strong views against infidelity, I would like to read about the situations that triggered Brynn's lack of commitment. Also, I have to mention that I did not find any error in the sample I read. Hence, I deem it professionally edited. Keeping everything in mind, I may give this book a try.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 4:07 pm by Kajori Sheryl Paul.

Laura Ungureanu

"Justice" is a novella about love, marriage, and betrayal. Brynn is upset with her marriage, so she cheats without feeling bad about it. She describes her husband, Marcus as a crybaby. I wished there were more details in the sample about what Marcus actually did, but it was enough to keep things interesting. I am not that interested in reading a book based on a relationship, although I appreciate the introspection into human psychology. Because of my lack of interest in the subject, I won't continue to read it and I wouldn't have picked it up without the program. The editing was done impeccably.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 2:26 pm by Laura Ungureanu.

HRichards

I normally would not have picked up this book to read, as the cover and blurb didn't really get my attention. Having read the sample I won't be continuing with the book, as the writing style and content really didn't appeal to me. The sample deals with Brynn, who is having an affair, waiting on meeting up with her newest lover. She justifies her behavior by thinking about how horrible it is to deal with her husband. I'm not sure where this book is going based on the sample, and the writing style is rather awkward. Those who like this type of family drama might like this book, but I found the word choices rather odd and the content rather unappealing. There was a grammar error in the line "...quality in a man. But..." where there should be a comma after "man" rather than a period. I have not read any other reviews for this book.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 12:03 pm by HRichards.

OloladeO

Based on the cover and title, I would have read the book's sample because it looks well put together. From the sample, Brynn is about to have sex with Brian. She doesn't feel guilty anymore about cheating on her husband, Marcus. She has sex with whomever she wants while Marcus hangs out with his true love; his trivial job. Marcus abuses her emotionally and gives her the silent treatment. She has affairs with men because they make an effort to impress her and she likes the polite attention. The book seems well edited. Most of the OBC reviewers gave it a perfect rating, which increases my desire to read the rest of the book. I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 11:41 am by OloladeO.

sarahmarlowe

The cover made me think of courtrooms and maybe murder cases. Boy, was I wrong! The first ten introduces the thoughts and actions of a wife in a bad marriage. The author wrote with great insight into the plight of an unhappy woman who is bitter about her situation. The book seems well-edited. I didn't see any typos. I have not read an OBC review. Based on the sample, I will probably read the rest of this book. I am intrigued! This is a very different type of novel, not another courtroom drama.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 11:23 am by sarahmarlowe.

Camille Turner

I don't think I would've sampled this book without the program because I didn't get a clear sense of what it was about from the cover, title, and Amazon blurb. The cover and title made me think it was an action or thriller story, but then I wasn't so sure after reading the blurb on Amazon. After reading the available sample, I believe the book to be professionally edited as I didn't see any errors. My impression hasn't really changed, as I still am not sure what the book is about. I know it's obviously going to be about a dysfunctional relationship, but I don't know the direction in which it's headed. I think it would be improved by avoiding repetition. I got the vibe that the repetition is part of the style, but I didn't personally care for it. For example, the majority of the first few pages continue to say in different ways that Brynn no longer feels guilty about cheating on her husband, but she used to feel guilty about it in the past. I won't buy the book today because I personally don't like the repetition and am not sure what the whole story is about. I am sure many other readers will enjoy the book though, and I liked that the author has a writing tone which is quite frank when it comes to guilt, marriage, sex, etc.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 10:50 am by Camille Turner.

lesler

Looking at the cover, this book intrigues me, and I look forward to reading it. Reading the sample, I am curious how this story fits in with the title, and want to read more and learn of Brynn's story. This book appears to be professionally edited, with no grammatical errors or typos. I liked the smooth writing flow from the perspective of Brynn, where she is portrayed as a antagonistic main character with a reason for her flaws that we don't know yet. It was interesting. I did not like how the sample did not fit in with the title yet-but I guess that persuades me to read this. I look forward to reading this story.

First Ten review added on December 14, 2018, at 9:59 am by lesler.

Bianka Walter

I really enjoyed the sample of this book. The dark themes of infidelity and abuse are really significant, and left me wanting to know what happens next. I thought the narrative was intense, which makes sense for this type of subject matter. The sample had no discernable errors, so editing seems top-notch. The cover doesn't give anything away, nor does the Amazon Blurb. I was quite confused as to what this book was about, until I started reading it. With that in mind, I would not have considered reading this without the first ten program. Either way, after reading the sample, I find that I would like to know more about what happens next in Brynn's journey. So my mind has been changed by reading the beginning of the book.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2018, at 5:53 am by Bianka Walter.

IsabelMay

The cover is interesting, but the description is too brief and doesn't offer any useful information to the reader. Therefore, I only sampled it because of this program. Judging by the sample, the book seems edited. The problem is that the sample (just like the description) is truly short, so I didn't get an idea of what the book would be about and had to scroll down to read several reviews. The reader only gets to know Brynn a little bit and some background story, but that's not enough to convince me I'd enjoy the book. Therefore, I won't be buying it.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2018, at 1:33 am by IsabelMay.

briellejee

The cover and the title of the book is appealing and has that sense of mystery to it and that is I opted to sample this book. After reading the sample, I'm curious enough to see what happens next or if ever I would see the husband's perspective. It's interesting and I was totally drawn into it that I decided to finish the whole book some time. I suddenly realized how important the first few pages of the book are. I also realized it wasn't I expected it to be since the cover screams of like those crime-thriller books. I also found no errors in the first few pages. The thing I liked most was that the author knows how to keep the reader curious enough to turn or look for the next pages. I think the thing to be improved is the teaser for the book. It is by no way appealing to the readers and it could cause them to skip this book. I did not see an OBC review and it did affect my decision since I do not know what's in store for me.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2018, at 12:26 am by briellejee.

Poppy Drear

I liked that Brynn's character wasn't dry in the sample. Her anger at her husband Brian was palpable, and the inner monologue was very engaging. The frequent use of italics was somewhat distracting to me. However, it's unlikely I would have sampled this book if not for this program; it's simply too dark and gritty for my tastes, and failing relationships aren't a topic I generally enjoy reading about. I also didn't see a recent official review that would have provided me additional information about the book. For these reasons, while it appears to be professionally edited, I won't be reading the entire book.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2018, at 12:17 am by Poppy Drear.

Tbunde5

The title struck me as crime or courtroom drama, but the opening pages were narrated by woman who is justifying her unfaithfulness to her husband, so I’m not sure what genre it falls into. I thought the narrated inner monologue was believable and well written. I did not notice any editing errors in the opening chapters. However, this is one of those books that I’ve already mapped out where I think it’s going in my head, and I wasn’t interested enough to buy it and read the entire book. There was no OBC review to convince me otherwise.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2018, at 11:36 pm by Tbunde5.

JessNWheeler

This is not the type of book I would have chosen because the cover and title are not particularly intriguing. There is no Official Online Book Club review, however, the blurb, editorial, and customer reviews gave me cause to reconsider. The story captured my attention in the first few pages. I’m eager to learn why it is that Brynn is staying in this abusive marriage. Perhaps she and Marcus have children. My original opinion has changed. I will buy and read the remainder of the book. There are no grammar errors throughout the text.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2018, at 10:44 pm by JessNWheeler.

RebeccasReading

This is not a book I would have normally read. The description was vague and didn't provide enough to make me want to read it. After reading the sample, my opinion is the same. I did not find the plot particularly captivating so far. More importantly, I still don't have any sense of what this book is about. I liked the author's bold point of view with the character and her assertiveness. However, I would suggest the author put more details in the description. Potential readers need to know what they're reading. It seems to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2018, at 8:26 pm by RebeccasReading.

Kat Berg

I may have checked this book out, just out of curiosity, because I like the title. I will not be reading the rest of the book. Although I did not ignore any grammatical mistakes I find the writing style annoying. The author tends to beat their point to death. In this case, it was the lack of guilty feelings about the extramarital affair the character was having. I really had a difficult time liking anything about the character, even though she should be a sympathetic character (well, maybe. Is she really being abused?) The hook doesn't work for me. Less repetition would help with the flow of the book. I did not read an official OBC review for this book. That did not impact my decision in this case.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2018, at 11:24 am by Kat Berg.

DancingLady

I probably wouldn’t have picked up a novella just because I tend to go for longer books in my pleasure reading. The sample was very intriguing. It set a scene where both husband and wife are seriously misbehaving and the wife justifies her actions based on his. It really makes me wonder where justice is going to fit into this. I found no errors in the sample and hopefully I will get around to reading this whole story. I just don’t know when that might be.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2018, at 10:35 am by DancingLady.

desantismt_17

This book’s title made me curious. The description increased my curiosity. The premise of an intense look at a crumbling marriage seemed like it could either be an emotional rollercoaster or a lot of over-the-top yelling. Before sampling, I thought about reading. After sampling, I’ll give this a try. The writing packs a big emotional punch, utilizing short sentences and paragraphs and narrative fragments. I want to know more about how Brynn got to this mindset. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed no errors. The only improvement I can think to suggest is to go a little quicker into the here-and-now story. The opening pages spend time talking a lot about the past, which is fine. But this may lose some readers. I didn’t see an OnlineBookClub.org review, but I’m still interested in reading this.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2018, at 9:58 am by desantismt_17.

shidawn

Based on the title, cover, and summary that I read, I would have read the first few pages anyway. It looked and sounded like it could be an interesting concept. I did not find an Official OBC review, but that didn't change my mind about the book. It appears that this book was professionally edited. I wasn't drawn into the story by the sample. I already feel like I don't like the husband or the wife. From what I've read, they both seem like jerks. Because it is a novella, I might read it in the future. It would be a short read. For now, though, I am passing on this story.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2018, at 7:45 am by shidawn.

Mercelle

This book's insightful cover had me eager to sample it, and the absence of an official OBC review didn't deter me in any way. The blurb piqued my interest even further with its inquisitiveness, and when I read the sample, I liked that the story transported me into the heart of a troubled marriage and provided insight into an unfaithful wife's thought process. I can attest that the book underwent professional editing because grammatical errors were non-existent. I will however not read the rest of the book because I'm not so curious about the rest of the story and my reading list is already too long. As it is, there's nothing I would change about the bit I read.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2018, at 5:06 am by Mercelle.

ladycraic

I would not have chosen to sample Justice apart from First Ten, seeing as neither the cover nor the title indicates that I would enjoy reading this novella. After reading the blurb, I was a bit reluctant to sample the first few pages. I got the sense that this book would touch on dark and difficult topics, and I wasn't too fond of the idea of reading about a marriage in shambles. Reading the first ten pages wasn't very enjoyable. I don't find infidelity justifiable, even in seemingly appropriate circumstances. I couldn't bring myself to connect with the main character as a result. Seeing as I have no desire whatsoever to throw myself into the middle of an unhappy marriage, I will not proceed with Justice. This novella seemed professionally edited and I didn't notice any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2018, at 11:46 pm by ladycraic.

Elizabeth Pass

I got married less than a year ago. It's hard for me to believe that this happiness won't last. Books like this help me see that marriages take constant work and attention. I was immediately interested in this book based on the genre, cover, and synopsis. Now that I've read some, I want to see where this is going. I really liked the use of italics to emphasize certain words. It made the monologue more real to me. I was also happy to not find any mistakes.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2018, at 10:44 pm by Elizabeth Pass.

lavellan

I probably would have not read Justice if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. There wasn't a Book of the Day review for it so I wasn't sure what to expect. The book seemed like it professionally edited and I did not notice any errors while reading. I liked the ambiguous morality of the situation. Neither spouse was innocent. However, the sample was a little short and I didn't get enough of an introduction into the characters. As a result, I will not be buying the book.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2018, at 9:10 pm by lavellan.

melissy370

The description for this book is too vague for me and because of that I would not read it. The sample did give me more of an idea of what the premise was, but it did not change my mind in reading it. I love when a book makes me feel the emotions right along with the character and this one did that for me. Brynn's anger towards her husband seemed justified and I liked the point about emotional abuse being overlooked. However, I don't think adultery is the answer to an unhappy marriage and the language was not to my taste. Because of that, I will not finish reading the book. There were no errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2018, at 8:58 pm by melissy370.

Cristina Chifane

The cover is quite eye-catching although it is not exactly self-explanatory. The one-word title is very general and may refer to different issues. From my experience, a more specific title and a more detailed Amazon blurb would work much better in attracting a larger audience. For me, it was interesting to read a short excerpt from the novella, a paragraph from a review and one impactful line from the preface. However, I think it would be useful to add at least 2 short paragraphs briefly detailing on the type of novella, the topic, plot and characters. I also wish there were more editorial reviews. I highly appreciate Scott Hughes's professionalism when it comes to the OnlineBookClub community as well as his commitment to his family. Since I promised myself to be objective whenever I am writing the comments for the First Ten program, today is not going to be an exception. When I am reading an author's bio on Amazon, I usually expect him/her to provide more details about himself/herself. In this case, I guess Scott simply wanted his work to speak for itself. In my opinion, he should think that his readers may not necessarily be members of the OBC community, so they may like to know more about him and his literary accomplishments. As for the customer reviews, I definitely expected to see many more considering the fact that Scott is the webmaster of OnlineBookClub.org. The dedication is emotional as I was just thinking these days that children are more likely to do what they see their parents doing rather than what they hear them preaching. In all sincerity, I can say that I often find myself fighting the temptation of darkness mentioned in the preface. Fortunately, that dim light never ceased to shine and made me survive. In other words, the relatable ideas in the preface convinced me to start reading the novella. Introspection and psychological analysis are skillfully used to describe Brynn's innermost feelings about her marriage and infidelity. Scott Hughes is one of those writers who do not hesitate to courageously and realistically portray the more hidden or controversial facets of one's personality. I liked Brynn primarily because the writer turned her into a credible character. She does not feel guilty for cheating her husband since she is apparently emotionally abused by Marcus. I loved the way she thinks of people's probable reactions to emotional abuse: "Then they act like the word e-mo-tional is spelled f-i-c-tional." From the sample, the novella seems to be profesionally edited. I was surprised to see there was no OBC review. I would like to read the entire novella to see if it matches the beginning.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2018, at 5:30 pm by Cristina Chifane.

Dolor

I would have chosen to read this book even without The First Ten program and the official OBC review because the cover, the title, the blurb, and the sample had hooked me up. His rich literary writing style is a masterpiece. The first ten pages are error-free. I don't have any improvement suggestion for this professionally-edited book. Justice by Scott Hughes is a thought-provoking novella about judgement between wife's infidelity and husband's focus on his trivial job. Who's to blame on their broken relationship? Big-girl-Brynn sleeps with whoever she wants. She does this whoever-she-wants-sexing while Marcus hangs out with his true love: his trivial job.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2018, at 5:00 pm by Dolor.

ccrews0408

Based on the Amazon review, had I not read the first 10 pages, I would not have read this book. It stated it was about marriage and infidelity but didn't uncover a real plot; therefore, I didn't have enough information to go on. Now that I have read the first 10 pages, I feel like I could give it a try. The writing is very captivating and, though I am still unsure of the plot, I found myself interested to find out what would happen next and it's only 82 pages. I didn't notice any typos or grammatical errors. There was no official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2018, at 4:36 pm by ccrews0408.

cpru68

The title and artwork are eye-catching. The story starts right off the bat with an anger-laced tirade from a woman who has been scorned by an emotionally absent husband. He has replaced her with his job and finds herself living in frustration possibly not feeling good enough. To lash out in a way that makes herself momentarily feel better, she turns to strangers to occupy her sexually. The first few pages frustrated me just a little bit with the repetition of the words she used. For example, of how she didn't 'feel bad' about cheating on him anymore. She says this so many times, and then it dawned on me! The saying it over and over again to herself was the way she was justifying her behavior. Once that lightbulb went off for me, all was forgiven. I don't like it when an author doesn't find new words to express the meaning or description of something, but it had to be done in this way for the storyline to be set.

I felt both anger and sorrow at the same time. And, I have to say that this book of 'non-fiction' is more real to me. I know people who have lived this lifestyle, and I lived in a marriage where I was left to my own defenses. My former marriage wasn't a team like it should have been, so I think many women will relate to this book. Also, I have met many a man who also has lived this life where he was turned down in the bedroom time after time by his wife and he goes looking elsewhere for fulfillment. So, it is fitting for both sexes to see how that 'justice' doesn't come easily to those who are looking for revenge. I have to pass this one by, but it doesn't mean I won't look for it as a later read. My bookshelf is loaded down with too many to read right now.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2018, at 2:44 pm by cpru68.

Kristy Khem

I would not select this book based on its cover design, title, and blurb. The blurb on Amazon also does not provide enough information about the plot. I can’t tell who the main character is or what the main storyline is. The sample which I read, centered on a woman’s guiltless infidelity. Her thoughts seemed to be focused on blaming her husband. Sex does not seem to be sacred to her and neither does her marriage. Additionally, she mentioned that two of her past lovers were dead. Based on this sample, I think this book centers on sex, infidelity, revenge, and death. I would not select this book to read because these themes are depressing. The book seems to be professionally edited but I spotted one error – the first word in the book is ‘In,’ and there is a line break between the ‘I’ and ‘n.’

First Ten review added on May 27, 2018, at 2:37 pm by Kristy Khem.

kfwilson6

The Amazon reviews were essential to determining my interest in this book. The synopsis really did not give a clear indication what this book is about. The summary provided by one reviewer really piqued my interest along with the psychological thriller classification. I would have gladly read this novella without sampling it. I was somewhat torn after reading the sample. I don't typically enjoy any story centering around infidelity but it seems like there is much more to this story and Brynn's justifications for her actions really struck me. I would like to finish this one to read the continuation of the characters' definitions of justice.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2018, at 2:16 pm by kfwilson6.

Kendra M Parker

Honestly, I’m not entirely sure what this book is about. The tile seems to indicate some sort of judicial thriller or mystery, and the questions in the blurb seem to have some sort of leaning in that same direction. When I read the comments on various things, this seems to point toward this being a psychological thriller related to marriage. None of this is the sort of thing that I would normally go for, and the vague blurb doesn’t give me anything to recommend it to me. As I read the first ten pages, I became more convinced this was not a book for me. The discussion about learning to accept our sins as the woman waited for her affair to arrive did not appeal to me. I did find an instance where whoever was used instead of whomever, but otherwise things seemed pretty cleanly edited. I did not see any official review, so that also contributes to me not knowing mulch about the book and not being willing to take a chance on something like this. I think I will pass on this one.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2018, at 1:56 pm by Kendra M Parker.

MsTri

The cover and title intrigued me enough to read the synopsis, which convinced me to read this; I hadn't yet read a review at that point. Upon reading the book, I was pretty impressed. The book was professionally edited and had an easy tone. The violence made me flinch, but was totally realistic even if it was unexpected; Brynn had convinced me that Marcus wouldn't act so vehemently! With that being said, I can't think of a part that I'd call my "favorite", but I also don't have any suggestions for changes.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2018, at 12:31 pm by MsTri.

Radhika_17

I've already read the book and loved it, but from a fresher perspective, as a new reader, the cover looks exciting but dark. The blurb isn't very clear, but once you sample the book, you get a pretty good idea of what's going on and what you can expect. The writing flows smoothly, without any errors. You might not like some characters, but their portrayal is commendable. The raw emotions in the book will get to you, and that's why I'd recommend it to the readers who can handle them!
If I hadn't already bought the book, I would've bought it after reading the sample.

First Ten review added on October 5, 2017, at 4:36 am by Radhika_17.

Donnavila Marie01

What will you do with your relationship if the spark is gone? The protagonist in this story has been suffering silently because of her husband's abuses. The emotional pain he'd been causing her is unbearable. The author will give us a glimpse of the reality of families that are breaking apart.

First Ten review added on October 5, 2017, at 12:01 am by Donnavila Marie01.

Rebecca_Rivera

I would not have picked up this book on my own because the cover looks like a political thriller. I won't be finishing this book due to the sample. Although the subject of emotional abuse and infidelity is interesting enough, I did not care for the writing style. I felt as if the author was talking directly to the reader at times, then switching to telling the story. It kept making me evaluate the quality of the writing instead of drawing me into the plot.

First Ten review added on October 4, 2017, at 11:45 pm by Rebecca_Rivera.

Londera

If I had not sampled this book for the first ten program I woukd have read this book. I am intrigued by the storyline and the want to see what happens at the end.I am going to read the rrst of the book because I am curious to see where the story goes.

The book does seems professionally from what I have read so far.I did not see an official online book club review and it did not affect my opinion.

First Ten review added on October 4, 2017, at 9:16 pm by Londera.

Mallory Whitaker

Yes, I would have sampled the first ten pages outside of this program based on the blurb, genre and reviews (and yes, the author too). I do wish there had been an Official Review for it as I would've liked to know more since the blurb is a little vague - nonetheless, still would've sampled it. The sample did help clear up the scope of the novella. It seems professionally edited to me. I think Hughes does a great job of characterization and justifying the woman's actions, or at least letting her justify them. It's nice to get that right in the beginning and it's a good hook. The only moderately negative thing I have to say about it is that the italics seemed to be a little overused. They lost that emphasis 'oomph' after a few pages. Other than that, I really enjoyed this and while I don't think I'm going to be purchasing it today, i do think I will in the future.

First Ten review added on October 4, 2017, at 8:44 pm by Mallory Whitaker.

DDunstock

The excerpt provided by Amazon for this book is certainly intriguing, and the novella promises to be thought-provoking. Based on the excerpt alone, I would read this book. I enjoy books that question morals and ideals.
Wow, this book starts out really interesting and unique! The way that Brynn's story is unraveled is certainly unlike anything I've ever read. I noted no spelling or grammar errors, and I found the writing to be quite good. I'll certainly read this book.

First Ten review added on October 4, 2017, at 4:00 pm by DDunstock.

ReviewerDiksha

While the cover and the title call out the reader in me, I have my doubts about it. I haven't read any official reviews of this book. It really helps sometimes to understand what the book is actually about, from its review. I read the sample and the writing is seamless. I kept going on and on, until the sample ended. I might browse it in the future, but for now I am still a bit skeptic.

First Ten review added on October 4, 2017, at 10:31 am by ReviewerDiksha.

jwalker73

I like the cover and the title. I was unsure about the Statue of Liberty at first, but now I have read the sample it seems fitting. The blurb does not provide much detail to let the reader understand what the topic is about. It actually seems a bit cryptic, which can sometimes be enticing, but I am unsure if I would have purchased it to read without further detail. The sample was good. It appeared to be professionally edited and was easy to read. I enjoyed hearing the rationale the woman gave to justify her infidelity and how she believed it was acceptable. I would like to continue reading this book as I am interested in reading the man's perspective about the marriage. I am also curious about where this story is heading.

First Ten review added on October 4, 2017, at 5:57 am by jwalker73.

Alice Heritage

I'm not currently on the lookout for this kind of fiction and wouldn't normally have sampled this, though the Amazon reviews gave a clear overview of some intriguing themes. I won't read the rest because I didn't find the female character relatable. It appears to have been professionally edited; I found no errors. I liked the hints at complexity and more backstory to come, for example through the reference to the deaths of two of Brynn's classmates. I found the omniscient narrator intrusive, telling me about "the young beauty". First person narration might have worked better for me. I didn't see an OnlineBookClub review, which didn't affect my decision as I saw ample information on Amazon.

First Ten review added on October 4, 2017, at 2:16 am by Alice Heritage.

Afuglsan

The cover and the title don't appeal to me, nor do the reviews. Upon beginning the book I find that the writing style is a little repetitive and the author repeats a lot of words and phrases with different structure.The book has a mildly interesting premise, but not enough to keep me interested in reading the book. The formatting also seemed a little off. I will not be continuing this book.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2017, at 11:23 pm by Afuglsan.

Izesicle

The cover could be improved. The design is clean but there is no obvious cohesion to the design. Based on his previous work, i would not have sampled this book but i'm glad i did. I really like the sample there were no errors and it reminded me of gone girl. i will buy this book.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2017, at 10:37 pm by Izesicle.

Naval Aulakh

"Justice" is a well written fiction novel. It is a combination of mystery and thrill. After reading its review on OnlineBookClub, I decided to read the sample of the book available on Amazon. I enjoyed reading it. The plot of the book is very interesting and intriguing.

Moreover, the cover of the book is very interesting. I would definitely like to read the entire book.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2017, at 10:10 pm by Naval Aulakh.

Christina Rose

This book has a very interesting premise, and several high ratings on Amazon. I didn't notice any errors during my reading of the sample, and I enjoyed the writing style. I plan to finish reading this book in the future.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2017, at 8:46 pm by Christina Rose.

Seraphia Bunny Sparks

After reading a sample of, Justice by Scott Hughes, I have decided that I will not be purchasing this book today. At first glance, this book appears to be a legal novel. As I read this book, it turned into something much more. I didn't think that this book would grab my attention, but it did. Brynn, the main character, is very self-focused. She's unfaithful to her partner, but yet she stays in the relationship. I'm quickly bombarded by internal questions of why does she stay? At one time, Brynn felt bad about her cheating, but she doesn't anymore. The author grabs my attention with the very first scene of this book. If I had not read a sample of this book, I don't think that I would have been interested in it. I'm not purchasing this book today, but it is going on my to-be-read shelf. My curiosity has been piqued by this author. I want to read more. Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does not have an official OnlineBookClub review. Despite this fact, that this book has no review, my interest is not diminished concerning this story.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2017, at 5:23 pm by Seraphia Bunny Sparks.

Jeyran Main

By just reading the sample I realized that its about a lady in a marriage and she cheats on her husband. Obviously there is more to the story being about sacrifice, marriage and a psych thriller so I think I am going to pick this one up. I will buy it eventually but not exactly today. The work looKs to be professionally edited and the sample is just about enough to persuade you to buy it.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2017, at 4:07 pm by Jeyran Main.

Gingerbo0ks

Not too sure about the cover and how it relates to the book but it looks more professional than some I've seen. Reading the first few pages, it's clearly written by someone who has issues with females. Regardless, the writing is humorous and easy to follow. I am intrigued to know more. I'm interested in why spouses are unfaithful having unfortunately been on the receiving end myself.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2017, at 2:33 pm by Gingerbo0ks.

Lennycat

Had I not read the first ten pages as a part of this program, I probably would read this book because I love psychological thrillers and novellas. The book cover is well done. I think the balance is good between the Title and the artwork. I think I would make the Author font a little larger, maybe by two 4 points or so. I saw that the reviews on Amazon.com are almost all positive and the Kirkus Review is really enticing. After reading the sample,
I feel sorry for Brynn. She is so angry still, even though she tries to explain it away. I can understand the pain of her loneliness and her feeling of being trapped in her marriage. At the same time, I can't help but feel that Brynn is too self-absorbed and that he has a choice to put her focus towards something more positive. I will finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2017, at 1:30 pm by Lennycat.

Excitedreads

Hmmm. Interesting. Those are my two words. I'm wondering what's the justice. So I guess I can throw 'intrigued' into there as well. I'm not going to say I'm hooked, but I do want more. I am seeing Brynn's character coming to life, and I'm really puzzled where 'justice' fits in. The cover is flawless, and seems to suit the dark psychological twists that are to be expected. From what I've read, it seems professionally edited as there were no noticeable grammatical errors. If anything I found the writing fluid and the descriptions inviting you into Brynn's twisted, emotional world. Well done to Scott. I will be purchasing this one to continue the the winding road of darks twists to come. The lack of an OBC review posed no hold on allowing me to enjoy the read.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2017, at 12:54 pm by Excitedreads.

Angela Stripes

The cover and title of Justice caught my attention right away. I would have passed it by though, after reading the blurb/description. After reading the first ten pages, I still would not buy or finish this read. The content and subject don't appeal to me. The only part in the first ten that did not seem professionally edited was the start of the first chapter, where there is a paragraph break between the first letter of a word and the rest of the word. It didn't strike me as a stylistic choice, but a typo.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2017, at 11:52 am by Angela Stripes.

Bluecobia

The cover is well done and fits with the title of the book. I did not see any official review of the book. I missed having one to read. Amazon reviews are ok but not compelling me to read the whole book. From the first pages of the book I could see that it could have worthwhile insights. I personally don't like the subject of infidelity. The language felt a little like you were trying to elevate our minds. This is good but will turn some people off. I find most people don't like to work when they read. I did not see any editorial errors in the first ten pages. I am not planning to buy and read this book because I feel that it would make me want to psychoanalyze myself and I do not feel like doing that at this time.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2017, at 11:39 am by Bluecobia.

RegularGuy3

Strong beginning here. Not much happens, but we get a strong sense of the character and her feelings. I enjoyed the use of short, simple sentences--they relate nicely to the thoughts being expressed by Brynn. It's how an angry, bitter person would talk. Justice is not a book I would have picked out myself. The cover looked more like a romance than a thriller, although the review disabused me of that notion. I will continue to read, as I am curious to hear all sides of the story.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2017, at 10:59 am by RegularGuy3.

Yoli García

The cover got my attention fast because of its eerie feeling. I read the description of the book in Amazon and liked the subject. After I read the sample pages, I decided I will read the book because I think it presents a fresh take on infidelity, which is usually written from the perspective of men. In this case, a woman is the one being unfaithful. She is tired of her unhappy marriage. I want to find out why she could not take it anymore and decided to cheat with whomever. The book seems professionally edited too, which is a plus.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2017, at 10:23 am by Yoli García.

CarrieMe

Based on the cover and blurb, I wouldn't normally choose to read this book. In terms of the cover, I really like the feelings that the top image evokes. I don't care for the way the bottom images are integrated. The blurb is professional, but it doesn't seem like the type of story that typically appeals to me. After reading the sample, I don't plan on buying or reading this book. I don't have any issues with the writing, but I still don't think the story is for me. I didn't notice any errors, though.

First Ten review added on June 20, 2017, at 4:16 am by CarrieMe.

dhomespot

I would have read this book based on the cover and the first 10 pages. The official review was also a deciding factor in whether to purchase the book or not. I did not notice any errors, so it seems as if the book was professionally edited. I usually do not like to read books that are under 100 pages unless they are children's books, however, I think I will be getting this book.

First Ten review added on June 19, 2017, at 7:49 am by dhomespot.

classicaltwist

Based on the title, blurb, and cover, I would not purchase this book. The blurb is really vague and generally that's a deal breaker for me when I'm deciding whether or not to read a book. I like to know a bit about the plot before I purchase a book. Usually when I'm just browsing on Amazon for a new ebook to read, I open a lot of tabs for ebooks that seem interesting. Since I'm going through lots of books at once, I usually don't even sample the ones that don't interest me with the blurb.

The sample did not change my mind. What I read did seem to be professionally edited. I did not spot any grammatical or spelling errors. The story didn't really hook me. I generally don't like reading books about failing marriages or affairs, which I'm assuming will be the focal point of this book. It's also really short. Most adult fiction under 100 pages I've read have been disappointing, so I'm very critical when deciding whether or not to read a short book.

The book does not seem to have an official OnlineBookClub review, and I don't think it would change my mind since the subject and genre aren't really my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on June 19, 2017, at 5:17 am by classicaltwist.

Kitkat3

I like the cover and the title. At first glance, the book appears to be a crime novel or psychological. The blurb is short and sweet and says enough for me to know what the book is about. The book was received mostly good reviews. It is professionally edited. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be reading the rest of the book, because the subject matter doesn't really interest me.

First Ten review added on June 19, 2017, at 3:03 am by Kitkat3.

Megwe85

The cover, title, and even the blurb on Amazon were far too vague for me to commit to reading the novella, Justice. The only thing I caught that gave me some hint was "disintegrating marriage." Without any context, that does not appeal to me. I am not going to buy or read this book. First, the book definitely did not seem to be professionally edited. There were way too many sentences in just the first ten pages that began with "But," or "And." I was also appalled by the amount of words that were italicized. Not every word needs extra emphasis. Secondly, I don't care for the main character, Brynn. I do not want to read her thoughts constantly. It reminds me of Anastasia in Fifty Shades of Grey and her "inner goddess" voice. This book is just not for me.

First Ten review added on June 19, 2017, at 2:31 am by Megwe85.

Miche Sora

I've read other books by Scott,and I've enjoyed them, so I'll definitely get this one. I want to know what happens next. I'm not sure what the title has to do with the content yet.

First Ten review added on June 19, 2017, at 1:51 am by Miche Sora.

Scerakor

From the description, blurb, and cover, I likely would not have given this book a chance; it really did not seem like a genre or topic that I would normally read. After reading the sample of this book, however, I think there is much more to it than meets the eye. I love the realism (in this case, by realism, I mean what happens in many relationships) that is coming out in that first chapter. Whether or not the actions are justified, there are so many relationships that have problems that are simply just not communicated nor are they given the opportunity to be worked out before bad choices are made. Although not right now, as I have several books on the go at the moment, I sincerely do believe that I will eventually give this book a chance, buy it, and read the rest of it. I definitely seemed well written and edited and the lack of an official OBC review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on June 18, 2017, at 9:04 pm by Scerakor.

EMoffat

Had I not read the sample pages I am unsure if I would have read this book. I would have been intrigued because the author is Scott Hughes, and the concept seemed very interesting. However, I didn't find the cover enticing. After reading the sample pages I will definetely read the book - in face, I already have! The sample pages were witty and thought provoking, and they really draw you in. The book seems professionally edited, and I found no grammatical errors. I enjoyed the engaging opening and how relatable it was. No suggestions for improvement. There was no official OnlineBookClub review, but this did not dissuade me from reading it.

First Ten review added on June 18, 2017, at 7:54 pm by EMoffat.

Jaime Lync

Justice by Scott Hughes seems to a short and gripping novel about a failing marriage. Brynn feels emotionally abused by her husband, Marcus, thus she cheats on him. The writing style is very engaging. I am definitely planning to finish reading Justice.

First Ten review added on June 18, 2017, at 7:01 pm by Jaime Lync.

micoleon13

I liked the layout of the cover page of this book. Even though it didn't give anything away about the story, it's very nicely balanced. I would then normally read the Onlinebookclub review to get more of an idea about the story before deciding to read further. In this case there is not yet a review. The writing is well done with no mistakes, and I liked how the female character is portrayed. There is an immediate sense of world weariness about her and old frustration towards her husband that has worn her down. Having an official review available would definitely help in attracting more readers.

First Ten review added on June 18, 2017, at 6:07 pm by micoleon13.

Snowflake

I'm not sure if I would have read the beginning of this book without this program. The cover is quite dark and I often look for more lighthearted books. The first 10 pages were quite gripping though and they were definitely well edited. I don't plan to purchase this book today but I may come back to it in the future. It does seem interesting and I would like to continue the story.

First Ten review added on June 18, 2017, at 2:54 pm by Snowflake.

Christina O Phillips

I've read samples of this author's work before and haven't liked them. I read this sample anyway. There was nothing that changed my mind. The prose is simple, the idea boring. There was nothing that drew me in and made me want to read more.

First Ten review added on June 18, 2017, at 10:36 am by Christina O Phillips.

chocomeiske

This book appeals to me because it is very relatable. I read the sample and enjoyed it. I thought it was well-written and professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 6, 2017, at 7:24 am by chocomeiske.

SandraTWP-BRW

The cover of this book does not work for me in conjunction with the plot. The cover brings to mind a suspense novel. The TItle "Justice" makes me think of government or the legal system. I didn't get any of that in the excerpt. I found the blurb interesting and the reviews thought provoking. I was curious to read what might be a blow-by-blow of the demise of a relationship, and find out where the legal system fit in.

The portion of the book I read was intriguing. Quickly, a real empthay is formed for Brynn. Her self-honesty, the explanation of her detachment, her choice of actions that met her needs, and her sense of isolation make her very, very real. Her perspective on her husband makes him, too, unfortunately, very real. There are times I'm unclear whether we are reading Brynn's perspective of herself or the author's third-party description of her. I'm not entirely sure if that matters, from the perspective of this short excerpt. I will say, whether it was the author's thought or Brynn's, I loved the sentence, "People hate most adverbs."

The excerpt was well edited; I noted no grammatical or typographical errors.

I willl probably not be reading the book at this time.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 9:40 pm by SandraTWP-BRW.

Bfrisco

I might have looked into this book more given the cover and the title. I wish it had given me a better sense of what the book's genre was, however. I felt the blurb about the book was similarly vague. When I read the sample of the book, it did seem professionally edited, and I was interested in finding out more. I don't know that I would continue to read more, because it seems to be exploring some subjects I'm not particularly interested in. I did enjoy the writing style, however, and I liked how the author conveyed emotions, especially the description of becoming numb to guilt. While I understand the intent of wishing for physical abuse because people tend to take it seriously, I was a little uncomfortable with that section. I understand the feeling, and I can understand why someone would think that way, but it was personally difficult to read.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 9:38 pm by Bfrisco.

Azeline Arcenal

The sample was really interesting. I liked how the author had enough tension and suspense in it that it made you want to read the entire book. I probably won't buy the book, but if it was free then I probably would have read the entire book. I did not notice any major grammatical errors in the sample either.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 4:33 pm by Azeline Arcenal.

ashley_claire

Even after reading the blurb on Amazon, I don't really have any idea what this book is about. The cover is nice and gives the impression of a book with darker themes. I found the writing style hard to follow. It just didn't have a natural flow for me and I found myself re-reading sentences because I wasn't absorbing the writing. Brynn seems like an intriguing character and I think it would be interesting to follow her point of view into the descent of her marriage and the fallout. The writing just wasn't my cup of tea and I won't be continuing with the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 12:48 pm by ashley_claire.

ananya92

The sample suggests that the book focuses on the concept of what is just and what a person deserves, through the issue of a broken marriage. The author needs to be commended for dealing with the deeply sensitive topic of emotional abuse, where no abuse is apparent on the surface. Bryan, the central character, wishes that her husband would hit her because then she can rightfully claim either people's sympathy, or her husband's attention. More than emotional abuse, the story looks at carrying around the corpse of a dead marriage. The author's writing style is engaging and strikes at the heart of the situation without wasting words. Though I haven't read the review, based on the sample and description, it is evident that this novella offers a strong argument through a fictional account, and hence I'll give it a try.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 12:28 pm by ananya92.

MarisaRose

Had I not sampled this novella as part of this program, I would have at least given it a closer look. I really enjoy crime thrillers and novellas tend to be easier to read because of their length. After sampling the beginning of "Justice," I am intrigued by certain aspects of the novella, but I'm not sure I really care for Brynn yet. I really liked the author's writing style. Brynn was given a clear voice and I think she will be a strong character going forward. Further, the book appears to be professionally edited; I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors. I think the only thing that bothered me about the sample was that Brynn seemed to be a bit too much. She clearly dislikes her husband and seeks out other men to compensate for the lacking marital relationship, but I wasn't fond of some of her ranting in the beginning. Hopefully as the story progresses, her feelings will become an important part of the narrative. I plan to purchase and finish reading this book mostly because I really enjoyed the writing style and am still interested in finding out what happens to Brynn.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2017, at 7:09 am by MarisaRose.

jungkookblog

I think I will be reading this book because the book seems like it's a very interesting and inspiring book to read. I will be reading this book because the first ten pages grabs my attention, and I like how the plot would satisfy the reader. It's even a short story. It seems professionally edited. I did not see any review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2017, at 1:11 am by jungkookblog.

Kdonegan91

Before reading the sample, I was interested in purchasing this book because of the raving Amazon reviews and the eye-catching cover. Also, I greatly enjoy psychological thrillers. After reading the sample, my curiosity and interest were increased. I have to know what happens to Marcus and Brynn's relationship! I will be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on January 31, 2017, at 6:28 pm by Kdonegan91.

jamesabr

This book is marvelous. No, I'm not saying that because Scott Hughes, the man who is over OnlineBookClub, is the author. I genuinely enjoyed the tense, unapologetic manner of Brynn's every word in my ten page sampling. If I didn't sample this book through First Ten, I most likely would've overlooked it. The lack of an OnlineBookClub review doesn't deter me from wanting to read more of the novella. In fact, it might have messed with my enjoyment by ruining the potential spontaneity of what I hope will happen between Brynn and her husband Marcus by the end. I will definitely buy and read the book eventually because of how much I enjoyed it. My favorite part was Brynn's spelling of "emotional" as "fictional" because as someone who was emotionally abused before, it rang true. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on January 31, 2017, at 6:15 pm by jamesabr.

James Craft

I liked the cover for this one quite a bit. It is interesting and dark but doesn't really get too dark. I love the lights in the background. The blurb is a little bit confusing and could use a little bit of clarification to make it more compelling, but it isn't bad. The opening pages form a solid hook and bring me into the story and it is well put together. There is a little bit of cursing, which is a negative for me in the introduction, but considering how good the formatting and editing are I am still willing to give the work a chance, especially since it is only 82 pages long.

First Ten review added on January 31, 2017, at 2:26 pm by James Craft.

Rachaelamb1

The cover has a professional look to it. The description is well written, but this is not the type of book I normally read. I read the whole book already. I thought it was interesting. It brought up a lot of good questions. I had never thought very much about the justice system in America so this book was eye-opening. It is also well edited.

First Ten review added on January 31, 2017, at 11:50 am by Rachaelamb1.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I thought the cover art of this book was interesting. The blurb did a good job of making me want to start reading, but I also wish it gave a little more information concerning the plot.

After reading the first few pages, I was pleasantly surprised. This story is intriguing from the very first page. It is also well-written and professionally edited. I could definitely see myself reading this novel sometime in the future, but unfortunately I have too much on my plate right now.

First Ten review added on January 31, 2017, at 11:43 am by Sarah_Khan.

Cjgarland89

I had previously read this book, more out of curiosity than anything. The blurb doesn't provide much insight into the book, and without an OBC review it is difficult to figure out what the book is about. I read the sample pages to see what's available to others and I think from those it would bring someone in enough to purchase the full length of the book and see the rest of the stories. It is written well and doesn't contain any errors in grammar or spelling in those sample pages. I have already purchased and read this book and enjoyed it! The most enjoyable part of the book is the length, you get a lot of raw emotion from multiple characters in a short time and it's overall just a great read.

First Ten review added on September 27, 2016, at 6:32 am by Cjgarland89.

truebookaddict

I bought this book awhile back, when it was first released. I bought it to support the author, and also because it sounded like an intriguing story.

The editing is good in the book. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

I can so relate to the woman in this book. Exactly what she describes happened to me. The emotional abuse, the "when your partner reneges on his side of the trade." Not the unfaithful part, but her feelings were very recognizable to me. It's so great that the book talks about emotional abuse because it is abuse. There are bruises...they are internal. No improvements to suggest.

First Ten review added on September 27, 2016, at 3:56 am by truebookaddict.

CataclysmicKnight

I've actually owned this book since a day or two after its release, but this made for a perfect excuse to get started on it. It's interesting to see the two different sides we're presented with in the first ten pages, and I'm definitely intrigued by what's still to come. The book is also quite short so it'll be easy to finish!

First Ten review added on September 27, 2016, at 1:34 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Shelle

I purchased this book when it first came out and inhaled it in one sitting. I thought it was well-written and kept my attention throughout. I could also tell the author was passionate about the book's themes and subject matters. The book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 6:36 pm by Shelle.

braver

The book's description really didn't give me a good idea of what to expect, so I normally would have just passed it over. The first few pages were interesting in an entirely voyeuristic way. I'm still not entirely sure where the book is going though. I'm on the fence - I think the psychological aspects of the book could be good, but I'm not convinced. Will probably pass on this one.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 6:21 pm by braver.

Momlovesbooks

I read this book when it was first released. The writing was professional with good editing. The plot was unique with memorable characters. I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 11:16 am by Momlovesbooks.

Annelore Trujillo

So I have actually already read this book. I wanted to read it based on the title and blurb. I bought this book after reading the sample. The sample pulled me in right away. I really liked the writing style. It also seemed to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 9:59 am by Annelore Trujillo.

Kourtney Bradley

Before even reading the first ten pages of this book, I knew I already planned on purchasing just from hearing all the rave about it. After reading the first ten pages, I feel as if there is no way I will be able to stop, as I now have to know what all happens. I was also very intrigued due to this being the author's first work of fiction.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 8:47 am by Kourtney Bradley.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would not have read this book. I love the cover, but was unsure about the blurb since it was a little vague. After reading the sample, I am very interested in reading this book. I thought the writing was clear-cut and engaging, and I enjoy how it reads like the flow of someone's thoughts. The book does seem professionally edited. I did not read the OnlineBookClub review, but my decision was not affected by this.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 12:52 am by psychopathycathy.

Gravy

I had looked into this book, mostly because of its association with this site. It isn't something I would typically look at, and nothing I've seen has convinced me to change my mind. I saw no errors, and the whole package (blurb, cover, sample, etc) is perfectly fine. Just not for me, and an official review wouldn't change that.
I can, however, see why others appreciate it.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 10:00 pm by Gravy.

Kia

Based on the description of this book I would not have chosen to read it. I am simply not interested in thriller type novels. I found the first few pages to be extremely attention grabbing in the detail describing the main character's infidelity. I found no mistakes, and if the book wasn't a thriller type novel I would continue to read it based on those pages. At it is though I will have to pass.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 7:24 pm by Kia.

L_Therese

I've actually already read this book. Although very brief, the Book of the Month discussion shows how much can be gleaned from its pages. Were I judging the book only from the sample, I probably would not have chosen to finish it, since the character's rationalization of her actions comes across as a bit whiny and vindictive to me. However, the book as a whole has a lot of important things to say, so I'm glad I read it.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 4:27 pm by L_Therese.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have picked it up. The reason is simple - I prefer light hearted books. The title and cover made it obvious that this wouldn't be one. Having read the first 10 pages, however, my opinion has changed. The author has introduced the protagonists very well and has raised curiosity in the reader. The book has been written very well and seems to be professionally edited. I didn't come across an official OnlineBookClub review. A favorable review would help, but I will read the book anyway. What I liked best about the book was the characterization. However, I would have liked to read more about the husband's personality in the first few pages.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 3:53 pm by AA1495.

Heidi M Simone

Based on the cover, title, genre (Psychological thriller), and the positive reviews, I would have sampled this book. In fact, I already own this book, have read it, and really enjoyed the short read.

The book does seem to be professionally edited. I liked how the author pulls in his readers right away with the act of adultery. The way Brynn describes the spite she feels for her husband also makes the reader curious and want to learn more about the background of this married couple. To be honest, I am not a fan of many of characters of the book, but I don't think I'm supposed to be. Since I own and have read this book, I will be checking off 'no' on the question below. However, if I did not own and read this book, then I would definitely answer 'yes'.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 3:09 pm by Heidi M Simone.

CrescentMoon

I really like the cover and title of the book. I think they are very fitting for what the story is about. However, based on the blurb, I would not pick this book up. This sounds like a very depressing read and although there are times where I am in the mood for a more heavy, darker read, I have to be in the right frame of mind for it. It is difficult for me to read these kinds of books. After reading the first ten pages, I will not continue reading the rest. I do think the book is well-written from what I have read. The beginning with Brynn contemplating cheating on her husband is very realistic for someone who is in that situation in my opinion. However, the tone of this book is clearly very heavy and dark and a subject I'm not ready for reading on.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 1:34 pm by CrescentMoon.

Vermont Reviews

I enjoyed not only the preview but the entire book. The cover as well. Two of my favorite lines from the book. "The darkness within us all too often overcomes the dim light between us. And "The funny thing about guilt is how close it lives to anger. This novella by Scott Hughes will make you think about life and how we think about different things. I have read the book and did enjoy it.
Vermont Reviews.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 12:56 pm by Vermont Reviews.

bookowlie

Even though I have already read this book, I will give my thoughts on the Amazon blurb and sample pages. The Kirkus review excerpt gave me a good, concise sense of what the story is about, but the rest of the blurb is a little vague - just an excerpt of a few general questions that didn't give tell me too much about the plot. Although I also found the prologue a little too general, I liked the introspective beginning with Brynn's view of her husband and her feelings about her repeated infidelity with different men. She isn't a likable character, but she is certainly interesting. The writing flows well and is brimming with raw emotion.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 11:24 am by bookowlie.

easy_dc13

My sister actually bought the book but it's not at the top of my reading list, so I might not have checked it out if it weren't for the program. As I said, we already have one copy but I might pass on it. Honestly, I only read the sample and it was way too short for me to get any sort of grasp on the proceedings. Also, I still have other books to read so there's that. I will say that it is spotless as far as typos and errors are concerned.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 11:24 am by easy_dc13.

gali

I have already read the book and loved it. I reviewed it as well. I love the cover, but the blurb isn't very clear. I like the way the book is written, through multiple characters' perspectives, and I love the writing. The story follows the lives of two sets of couples: Marcus and Brynn, Joseph and Marie, each couple is unhappy in his own miserable way. I like the way the character came alive on the page and was very impressed by the book. I have already got the book and highly recommended it.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 10:48 am by gali.

Total ~ 52%

Justice earned a score of 52%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 52% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Justice