Cover for Justice

The First Ten Feedback for Justice: A Novella

Because Justice was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry and why expert book marketers like Scott Hughes are in such high demand.

gali

I have already read the book and loved it. I reviewed it as well. I love the cover, but the blurb isn't very clear. I like the way the book is written, through multiple characters' perspectives, and I love the writing. The story follows the lives of two sets of couples: Marcus and Brynn, Joseph and Marie, each couple is unhappy in his own miserable way. I like the way the character came alive on the page and was very impressed by the book. I have already got the book and highly recommended it.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 10:48 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

easy_dc13

My sister actually bought the book but it's not at the top of my reading list, so I might not have checked it out if it weren't for the program. As I said, we already have one copy but I might pass on it. Honestly, I only read the sample and it was way too short for me to get any sort of grasp on the proceedings. Also, I still have other books to read so there's that. I will say that it is spotless as far as typos and errors are concerned.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 11:24 am by easy_dc13.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

bookowlie

Even though I have already read this book, I will give my thoughts on the Amazon blurb and sample pages. The Kirkus review excerpt gave me a good, concise sense of what the story is about, but the rest of the blurb is a little vague - just an excerpt of a few general questions that didn't give tell me too much about the plot. Although I also found the prologue a little too general, I liked the introspective beginning with Brynn's view of her husband and her feelings about her repeated infidelity with different men. She isn't a likable character, but she is certainly interesting. The writing flows well and is brimming with raw emotion.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 11:24 am by bookowlie.

Vermont Reviews

I enjoyed not only the preview but the entire book. The cover as well. Two of my favorite lines from the book. "The darkness within us all too often overcomes the dim light between us. And "The funny thing about guilt is how close it lives to anger. This novella by Scott Hughes will make you think about life and how we think about different things. I have read the book and did enjoy it.
Vermont Reviews.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 12:56 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CrescentMoon

I really like the cover and title of the book. I think they are very fitting for what the story is about. However, based on the blurb, I would not pick this book up. This sounds like a very depressing read and although there are times where I am in the mood for a more heavy, darker read, I have to be in the right frame of mind for it. It is difficult for me to read these kinds of books. After reading the first ten pages, I will not continue reading the rest. I do think the book is well-written from what I have read. The beginning with Brynn contemplating cheating on her husband is very realistic for someone who is in that situation in my opinion. However, the tone of this book is clearly very heavy and dark and a subject I'm not ready for reading on.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 1:34 pm by CrescentMoon.

hsimone

Based on the cover, title, genre (Psychological thriller), and the positive reviews, I would have sampled this book. In fact, I already own this book, have read it, and really enjoyed the short read.

The book does seem to be professionally edited. I liked how the author pulls in his readers right away with the act of adultery. The way Brynn describes the spite she feels for her husband also makes the reader curious and want to learn more about the background of this married couple. To be honest, I am not a fan of many of characters of the book, but I don't think I'm supposed to be. Since I own and have read this book, I will be checking off 'no' on the question below. However, if I did not own and read this book, then I would definitely answer 'yes'.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 3:09 pm by hsimone.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have picked it up. The reason is simple - I prefer light hearted books. The title and cover made it obvious that this wouldn't be one. Having read the first 10 pages, however, my opinion has changed. The author has introduced the protagonists very well and has raised curiosity in the reader. The book has been written very well and seems to be professionally edited. I didn't come across an official OnlineBookClub review. A favorable review would help, but I will read the book anyway. What I liked best about the book was the characterization. However, I would have liked to read more about the husband's personality in the first few pages.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 3:53 pm by AA1495.

L_Therese

I've actually already read this book. Although very brief, the Book of the Month discussion shows how much can be gleaned from its pages. Were I judging the book only from the sample, I probably would not have chosen to finish it, since the character's rationalization of her actions comes across as a bit whiny and vindictive to me. However, the book as a whole has a lot of important things to say, so I'm glad I read it.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 4:27 pm by L_Therese.

Kia

Based on the description of this book I would not have chosen to read it. I am simply not interested in thriller type novels. I found the first few pages to be extremely attention grabbing in the detail describing the main character's infidelity. I found no mistakes, and if the book wasn't a thriller type novel I would continue to read it based on those pages. At it is though I will have to pass.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 7:24 pm by Kia.

Gravy

I had looked into this book, mostly because of its association with this site. It isn't something I would typically look at, and nothing I've seen has convinced me to change my mind. I saw no errors, and the whole package (blurb, cover, sample, etc) is perfectly fine. Just not for me, and an official review wouldn't change that.
I can, however, see why others appreciate it.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 10:00 pm by Gravy.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would not have read this book. I love the cover, but was unsure about the blurb since it was a little vague. After reading the sample, I am very interested in reading this book. I thought the writing was clear-cut and engaging, and I enjoy how it reads like the flow of someone's thoughts. The book does seem professionally edited. I did not read the OnlineBookClub review, but my decision was not affected by this.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 12:52 am by psychopathycathy.

klbradley

Before even reading the first ten pages of this book, I knew I already planned on purchasing just from hearing all the rave about it. After reading the first ten pages, I feel as if there is no way I will be able to stop, as I now have to know what all happens. I was also very intrigued due to this being the author's first work of fiction.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 8:47 am by klbradley.

anneloretrujillo

So I have actually already read this book. I wanted to read it based on the title and blurb. I bought this book after reading the sample. The sample pulled me in right away. I really liked the writing style. It also seemed to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 9:59 am by anneloretrujillo.

Momlovesbooks

I read this book when it was first released. The writing was professional with good editing. The plot was unique with memorable characters. I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 11:16 am by Momlovesbooks.

braver

The book's description really didn't give me a good idea of what to expect, so I normally would have just passed it over. The first few pages were interesting in an entirely voyeuristic way. I'm still not entirely sure where the book is going though. I'm on the fence - I think the psychological aspects of the book could be good, but I'm not convinced. Will probably pass on this one.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 6:21 pm by braver.

Shelle

I purchased this book when it first came out and inhaled it in one sitting. I thought it was well-written and kept my attention throughout. I could also tell the author was passionate about the book's themes and subject matters. The book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 6:36 pm by Shelle.

CataclysmicKnight

I've actually owned this book since a day or two after its release, but this made for a perfect excuse to get started on it. It's interesting to see the two different sides we're presented with in the first ten pages, and I'm definitely intrigued by what's still to come. The book is also quite short so it'll be easy to finish!

First Ten review added on September 27, 2016, at 1:34 am by CataclysmicKnight.

truebookaddict

I bought this book awhile back, when it was first released. I bought it to support the author, and also because it sounded like an intriguing story.

The editing is good in the book. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

I can so relate to the woman in this book. Exactly what she describes happened to me. The emotional abuse, the "when your partner reneges on his side of the trade." Not the unfaithful part, but her feelings were very recognizable to me. It's so great that the book talks about emotional abuse because it is abuse. There are bruises...they are internal. No improvements to suggest.

First Ten review added on September 27, 2016, at 3:56 am by truebookaddict.

Cjgarland89

I had previously read this book, more out of curiosity than anything. The blurb doesn't provide much insight into the book, and without an OBC review it is difficult to figure out what the book is about. I read the sample pages to see what's available to others and I think from those it would bring someone in enough to purchase the full length of the book and see the rest of the stories. It is written well and doesn't contain any errors in grammar or spelling in those sample pages. I have already purchased and read this book and enjoyed it! The most enjoyable part of the book is the length, you get a lot of raw emotion from multiple characters in a short time and it's overall just a great read.

First Ten review added on September 27, 2016, at 6:32 am by Cjgarland89.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I thought the cover art of this book was interesting. The blurb did a good job of making me want to start reading, but I also wish it gave a little more information concerning the plot.

After reading the first few pages, I was pleasantly surprised. This story is intriguing from the very first page. It is also well-written and professionally edited. I could definitely see myself reading this novel sometime in the future, but unfortunately I have too much on my plate right now.

First Ten review added on January 31, 2017, at 11:43 am by Sarah_Khan.

Rachaelamb1

The cover has a professional look to it. The description is well written, but this is not the type of book I normally read. I read the whole book already. I thought it was interesting. It brought up a lot of good questions. I had never thought very much about the justice system in America so this book was eye-opening. It is also well edited.

First Ten review added on January 31, 2017, at 11:50 am by Rachaelamb1.

James Craft

I liked the cover for this one quite a bit. It is interesting and dark but doesn't really get too dark. I love the lights in the background. The blurb is a little bit confusing and could use a little bit of clarification to make it more compelling, but it isn't bad. The opening pages form a solid hook and bring me into the story and it is well put together. There is a little bit of cursing, which is a negative for me in the introduction, but considering how good the formatting and editing are I am still willing to give the work a chance, especially since it is only 82 pages long.

First Ten review added on January 31, 2017, at 2:26 pm by James Craft.

jamesabr

This book is marvelous. No, I'm not saying that because Scott Hughes, the man who is over OnlineBookClub, is the author. I genuinely enjoyed the tense, unapologetic manner of Brynn's every word in my ten page sampling. If I didn't sample this book through First Ten, I most likely would've overlooked it. The lack of an OnlineBookClub review doesn't deter me from wanting to read more of the novella. In fact, it might have messed with my enjoyment by ruining the potential spontaneity of what I hope will happen between Brynn and her husband Marcus by the end. I will definitely buy and read the book eventually because of how much I enjoyed it. My favorite part was Brynn's spelling of "emotional" as "fictional" because as someone who was emotionally abused before, it rang true. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on January 31, 2017, at 6:15 pm by jamesabr.

Kdonegan91

Before reading the sample, I was interested in purchasing this book because of the raving Amazon reviews and the eye-catching cover. Also, I greatly enjoy psychological thrillers. After reading the sample, my curiosity and interest were increased. I have to know what happens to Marcus and Brynn's relationship! I will be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on January 31, 2017, at 6:28 pm by Kdonegan91.

jungkookblog

I think I will be reading this book because the book seems like it's a very interesting and inspiring book to read. I will be reading this book because the first ten pages grabs my attention, and I like how the plot would satisfy the reader. It's even a short story. It seems professionally edited. I did not see any review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2017, at 1:11 am by jungkookblog.

MarisaRose

Had I not sampled this novella as part of this program, I would have at least given it a closer look. I really enjoy crime thrillers and novellas tend to be easier to read because of their length. After sampling the beginning of "Justice," I am intrigued by certain aspects of the novella, but I'm not sure I really care for Brynn yet. I really liked the author's writing style. Brynn was given a clear voice and I think she will be a strong character going forward. Further, the book appears to be professionally edited; I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors. I think the only thing that bothered me about the sample was that Brynn seemed to be a bit too much. She clearly dislikes her husband and seeks out other men to compensate for the lacking marital relationship, but I wasn't fond of some of her ranting in the beginning. Hopefully as the story progresses, her feelings will become an important part of the narrative. I plan to purchase and finish reading this book mostly because I really enjoyed the writing style and am still interested in finding out what happens to Brynn.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2017, at 7:09 am by MarisaRose.

ananya92

The sample suggests that the book focuses on the concept of what is just and what a person deserves, through the issue of a broken marriage. The author needs to be commended for dealing with the deeply sensitive topic of emotional abuse, where no abuse is apparent on the surface. Bryan, the central character, wishes that her husband would hit her because then she can rightfully claim either people's sympathy, or her husband's attention. More than emotional abuse, the story looks at carrying around the corpse of a dead marriage. The author's writing style is engaging and strikes at the heart of the situation without wasting words. Though I haven't read the review, based on the sample and description, it is evident that this novella offers a strong argument through a fictional account, and hence I'll give it a try.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 12:28 pm by ananya92.

ashley_claire

Even after reading the blurb on Amazon, I don't really have any idea what this book is about. The cover is nice and gives the impression of a book with darker themes. I found the writing style hard to follow. It just didn't have a natural flow for me and I found myself re-reading sentences because I wasn't absorbing the writing. Brynn seems like an intriguing character and I think it would be interesting to follow her point of view into the descent of her marriage and the fallout. The writing just wasn't my cup of tea and I won't be continuing with the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 12:48 pm by ashley_claire.

ZenaLei7

The sample was really interesting. I liked how the author had enough tension and suspense in it that it made you want to read the entire book. I probably won't buy the book, but if it was free then I probably would have read the entire book. I did not notice any major grammatical errors in the sample either.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 4:33 pm by ZenaLei7.

Bfrisco

I might have looked into this book more given the cover and the title. I wish it had given me a better sense of what the book's genre was, however. I felt the blurb about the book was similarly vague. When I read the sample of the book, it did seem professionally edited, and I was interested in finding out more. I don't know that I would continue to read more, because it seems to be exploring some subjects I'm not particularly interested in. I did enjoy the writing style, however, and I liked how the author conveyed emotions, especially the description of becoming numb to guilt. While I understand the intent of wishing for physical abuse because people tend to take it seriously, I was a little uncomfortable with that section. I understand the feeling, and I can understand why someone would think that way, but it was personally difficult to read.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 9:38 pm by Bfrisco.

SandraTWP-BRW

The cover of this book does not work for me in conjunction with the plot. The cover brings to mind a suspense novel. The TItle "Justice" makes me think of government or the legal system. I didn't get any of that in the excerpt. I found the blurb interesting and the reviews thought provoking. I was curious to read what might be a blow-by-blow of the demise of a relationship, and find out where the legal system fit in.

The portion of the book I read was intriguing. Quickly, a real empthay is formed for Brynn. Her self-honesty, the explanation of her detachment, her choice of actions that met her needs, and her sense of isolation make her very, very real. Her perspective on her husband makes him, too, unfortunately, very real. There are times I'm unclear whether we are reading Brynn's perspective of herself or the author's third-party description of her. I'm not entirely sure if that matters, from the perspective of this short excerpt. I will say, whether it was the author's thought or Brynn's, I loved the sentence, "People hate most adverbs."

The excerpt was well edited; I noted no grammatical or typographical errors.

I willl probably not be reading the book at this time.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 9:40 pm by SandraTWP-BRW.

chocomeiske

This book appeals to me because it is very relatable. I read the sample and enjoyed it. I thought it was well-written and professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 6, 2017, at 7:24 am by chocomeiske.

Christina O Phillips

I've read samples of this author's work before and haven't liked them. I read this sample anyway. There was nothing that changed my mind. The prose is simple, the idea boring. There was nothing that drew me in and made me want to read more.

First Ten review added on June 18, 2017, at 10:36 am by Christina O Phillips.

va2016

A woman with her priorities set, but still thinking and debating with
herself about the choices she has already made, and the life she is going to lead further. The writing style is natural and interesting. Though there are cuss words, they are in context and not overused. This is not my kind of book though, so I am skipping this. Thanks.

First Ten review added on June 18, 2017, at 11:25 am by va2016.

Snowflake

I'm not sure if I would have read the beginning of this book without this program. The cover is quite dark and I often look for more lighthearted books. The first 10 pages were quite gripping though and they were definitely well edited. I don't plan to purchase this book today but I may come back to it in the future. It does seem interesting and I would like to continue the story.

First Ten review added on June 18, 2017, at 2:54 pm by Snowflake.

micoleon13

I liked the layout of the cover page of this book. Even though it didn't give anything away about the story, it's very nicely balanced. I would then normally read the Onlinebookclub review to get more of an idea about the story before deciding to read further. In this case there is not yet a review. The writing is well done with no mistakes, and I liked how the female character is portrayed. There is an immediate sense of world weariness about her and old frustration towards her husband that has worn her down. Having an official review available would definitely help in attracting more readers.

First Ten review added on June 18, 2017, at 6:07 pm by micoleon13.

Jaime Lync

Justice by Scott Hughes seems to a short and gripping novel about a failing marriage. Brynn feels emotionally abused by her husband, Marcus, thus she cheats on him. The writing style is very engaging. I am definitely planning to finish reading Justice.

First Ten review added on June 18, 2017, at 7:01 pm by Jaime Lync.

EMoffat

Had I not read the sample pages I am unsure if I would have read this book. I would have been intrigued because the author is Scott Hughes, and the concept seemed very interesting. However, I didn't find the cover enticing. After reading the sample pages I will definetely read the book - in face, I already have! The sample pages were witty and thought provoking, and they really draw you in. The book seems professionally edited, and I found no grammatical errors. I enjoyed the engaging opening and how relatable it was. No suggestions for improvement. There was no official OnlineBookClub review, but this did not dissuade me from reading it.

First Ten review added on June 18, 2017, at 7:54 pm by EMoffat.

Scerakor

From the description, blurb, and cover, I likely would not have given this book a chance; it really did not seem like a genre or topic that I would normally read. After reading the sample of this book, however, I think there is much more to it than meets the eye. I love the realism (in this case, by realism, I mean what happens in many relationships) that is coming out in that first chapter. Whether or not the actions are justified, there are so many relationships that have problems that are simply just not communicated nor are they given the opportunity to be worked out before bad choices are made. Although not right now, as I have several books on the go at the moment, I sincerely do believe that I will eventually give this book a chance, buy it, and read the rest of it. I definitely seemed well written and edited and the lack of an official OBC review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on June 18, 2017, at 9:04 pm by Scerakor.

Miche Sora

I've read other books by Scott,and I've enjoyed them, so I'll definitely get this one. I want to know what happens next. I'm not sure what the title has to do with the content yet.

First Ten review added on June 19, 2017, at 1:51 am by Miche Sora.

Megwe85

The cover, title, and even the blurb on Amazon were far too vague for me to commit to reading the novella, Justice. The only thing I caught that gave me some hint was "disintegrating marriage." Without any context, that does not appeal to me. I am not going to buy or read this book. First, the book definitely did not seem to be professionally edited. There were way too many sentences in just the first ten pages that began with "But," or "And." I was also appalled by the amount of words that were italicized. Not every word needs extra emphasis. Secondly, I don't care for the main character, Brynn. I do not want to read her thoughts constantly. It reminds me of Anastasia in Fifty Shades of Grey and her "inner goddess" voice. This book is just not for me.

First Ten review added on June 19, 2017, at 2:31 am by Megwe85.

Kitkat3

I like the cover and the title. At first glance, the book appears to be a crime novel or psychological. The blurb is short and sweet and says enough for me to know what the book is about. The book was received mostly good reviews. It is professionally edited. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be reading the rest of the book, because the subject matter doesn't really interest me.

First Ten review added on June 19, 2017, at 3:03 am by Kitkat3.

classicaltwist

Based on the title, blurb, and cover, I would not purchase this book. The blurb is really vague and generally that's a deal breaker for me when I'm deciding whether or not to read a book. I like to know a bit about the plot before I purchase a book. Usually when I'm just browsing on Amazon for a new ebook to read, I open a lot of tabs for ebooks that seem interesting. Since I'm going through lots of books at once, I usually don't even sample the ones that don't interest me with the blurb.

The sample did not change my mind. What I read did seem to be professionally edited. I did not spot any grammatical or spelling errors. The story didn't really hook me. I generally don't like reading books about failing marriages or affairs, which I'm assuming will be the focal point of this book. It's also really short. Most adult fiction under 100 pages I've read have been disappointing, so I'm very critical when deciding whether or not to read a short book.

The book does not seem to have an official OnlineBookClub review, and I don't think it would change my mind since the subject and genre aren't really my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on June 19, 2017, at 5:17 am by classicaltwist.

dhomespot

I would have read this book based on the cover and the first 10 pages. The official review was also a deciding factor in whether to purchase the book or not. I did not notice any errors, so it seems as if the book was professionally edited. I usually do not like to read books that are under 100 pages unless they are children's books, however, I think I will be getting this book.

First Ten review added on June 19, 2017, at 7:49 am by dhomespot.

CarrieMe

Based on the cover and blurb, I wouldn't normally choose to read this book. In terms of the cover, I really like the feelings that the top image evokes. I don't care for the way the bottom images are integrated. The blurb is professional, but it doesn't seem like the type of story that typically appeals to me. After reading the sample, I don't plan on buying or reading this book. I don't have any issues with the writing, but I still don't think the story is for me. I didn't notice any errors, though.

First Ten review added on June 20, 2017, at 4:16 am by CarrieMe.

Total ~ 58%

Justice earned a score of 58%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 58% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Justice