Cover for Storm Front Over Atlantis

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Storm Front Over Atlantis

Because Storm Front Over Atlantis was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

Ekta Kumari

The story revolves around Victoria (Vic) Hartley who is a teenager with powerful abilities. The storyline unfolds as she understands her powers amid the chaos caused by the Olympian Gods. Greek mythology is significant in the storyline. I wouldn't have read the book as I wasn't interested in the genre. The thing I did like the most, though, is the writing of the action sequences that take place in the setting of the Atlantean war. I also like how character driven the book is. I enjoyed the relationship between Lana and Vic's character and how well the author fleshed it out. I didn't see any editing errors and would rate the book as professionally edited. I saw an official OBC review. But I will not read the whole book as I don't think I'll enjoy the underlying themes. I would recommend the author to include a glossary of important characters as it would really help keep track of everyone involved in the narrative.

First Ten review added on December 22, 2021, at 5:15 am by Ekta Kumari.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Jeremie Mondejar

I sample this book because on the first ten program. The cover photo looks dull, though it captures the real meaning of the title. I like the way the author describes the storm. It looks like I'm watching a movie. The sample entertains me, but it fails to capture my interest because I don't like this genre. I prefer to watch this novel in a movie than by just reading it. The book has an OBC review, but I'm not convinced either. Lastly, the book seems professionally edited because I don't see any typos as well as anything for improvement.

First Ten review added on December 22, 2021, at 4:44 am by Jeremie Mondejar.

Manang Muyang

The title and blurb clearly say this is a fantasy story about Atlantis. I suppose the girl on the cover is Vic in present-day Great Oak. I am not really fond of fantasy and Greek mythology, so I was not excited about the book. I wouldn't have sampled it on my own. The first pages showed a battle being fought in Atlantis, with Victorious (I'm guessing this is Vic in the future) deftly defeating the intruders. Then, the author introduced several characters in the world of 17-year-old Vic and the serial murders being investigated by Sheriff Stone. It was easy to picture the scenes with the author's vivid descriptions. However, since this is not a genre I favor, I will not be reading the rest of the book. The official OBC reviewer gave the best rating. They also found no errors in the book, but I found some. On the dedication page, "To my wife, whose support and patients made this book possible" needed "patience." "I think you are looking for is 'S'up" at 26% of the sample didn't need "is." At 77%, "'Give it to me,' he said, through clinched teeth" should have used "clenched." I hope the author will have the patience to correct the errors.

First Ten review added on December 22, 2021, at 4:40 am by Manang Muyang.

Asma Aisha Ansari

As a fan of sci-fi and fantasy genres, I was eager to sample the book. Besides, the cover is eye-catching. However, I didn't like the vague title. There's only one short Amazon review for the book which is not enough to make a decision. The blurb and the official OBC review are well-written. However, I would've sampled the book even if I hadn't read the reviews because I prefer to read books from this genre.

As for the sample, I didn't like the descriptive writing style and the sudden way in which each character was introduced. Because of the writing style, I found nothing of interest in the entire sample. I believe that the book is professionally edited, as I found only one minor error in the sample. In the sentence, 'Her long brown hair was pulled into a ponytail tied with a blue hair band.', it should be 'hairband' and not 'hair band'. I suggest that the book be edited once for such minor errors. Additionally, the book should have a better title. Lastly, I'm not going to read the rest of the book, as I didn't like the sample.

First Ten review added on December 22, 2021, at 4:18 am by Asma Aisha Ansari.

Dzejn_Crvena

Based on the genre and blurb, I'd have sampled this book outside this program. I love stories related to Greek mythology with a coming-of-age theme. The OBC review convinced me to read it. However, I changed my mind when I read the sample. I learned that Victorious led an army composed of civilians instead of soldiers. There was a war brewing in the land, and she had to protect the citizens who took care of her when she was a young stranger. The introduction was overwhelming for me to read, so I decided not to read it further. I like that Victorious didn't run away from the heavy responsibility of protecting the land she grew up in. The book seems professionally edited, so I don't have suggestions for improvements.

First Ten review added on December 22, 2021, at 3:41 am by Dzejn_Crvena.

Shrabastee Chakraborty

I love Greek mythology as well as the fantasy genre. Based on the highest rating of the official OBC review, I intended to read this book. I could not find any error in the first ten pages. They talked about a civil war in the kingdom of Atlantis. Victorious, the protagonist, knew the war would cause too many lives, yet she was compelled to go on. I liked the elements of fantasy as well as the indication that mysterious forces were at work. The author could convey these within the initial pages. I did not have any suggestions for improvement. Based on my reading experience, I would like to read the whole book.

First Ten review added on December 22, 2021, at 3:09 am by Shrabastee Chakraborty.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Sou Hi

If it's not for this program, I wouldn't read this. The official review from OnlineBookClub and Amazon's blurb look alright, but the book doesn't seem interesting. The sample features a girl named Victorious, who is leading an army to protect her land. The scene then switches to her past.

I like the fantasy theme. The editing is alright. However, I would suggest that the author provides explanations for the terms used in the book. It's not like everyone will know about Chimeras, Basilisks, Targgals, or Shield-bearers. Since its context is not creative, I won't buy this book.

Error example: The Great Wall, eighty feet tall at its highest point and made of polished white stone, keeps in the great beasts: the Chimeas, Baslisks, Shadow hounds, Targgals, and many other creatures and things that lived in the grasslands and protecting the core of the island of Atlantis. -> The correct spellings should be "Chimera" and "Basilisk." I can't seem to find the beasts called "Targgal."

First Ten review added on December 22, 2021, at 3:08 am by Sou Hi.

Rodel Barnachea

After I perused the book’s official OBC review and Amazon page, I decided not to purchase the fantasy title. I am not intrigued by the two fronts presented by the novel. I am not fascinated by how the system that governs Atlantis works, nor am I interested in reading why the Olympian gods took an interest in Vic. Sampling the title failed to change my mind. I would not acquire it because nothing in the Amazon sample piqued my curiosity or had me wanting to peruse the rest of the novel. Other reasons I stated before I read the text were factors I considered in my decision. The first ten pages cover a prologue and some pages of the first chapter. What I liked most is when the people chanted “Victoria!” I could not identify any errors in the text. The book seems professionally edited to me. I have no advice to offer to the author.

First Ten review added on December 22, 2021, at 2:39 am by Rodel Barnachea.

Mutai Marshal

I wouldn't have read this book without sampling. This is because the title suggested that this is a science-fiction novel, a genre I don't like. From the sample, I liked the dialogues, which displayed the ensuing warfare. I also appreciated the woman character, Victorious, taking the leadership role. Having read the OBC review, my stand remains. I will not buy this science-fiction novel. It seems exceptionally edited, and there are no suggestions for improvement that I can offer.

First Ten review added on December 22, 2021, at 1:01 am by Mutai Marshal.

Jennifer Garcia 555

I was drawn to this book by the title and the cover. It appeared to be a book I would enjoy. After reading the sample pages, I did not see any editing errors. This book seems professionally edited. The sample made me think that this book contains battles and violence. Also, the official Online Book Club review that I read stated that this book switches between mythological Atlantis and a more modern day town. These aspects do not appeal to me so I will not buy or finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 11:43 pm by Jennifer Garcia 555.

winecellarlibrary

I would have sampled this book based on the cover and title. I find Atlantis interesting, and the cover art is captivating and looks professionally done. The synopsis and four-star official OBC review solidified my decision to sample the book.

Immediately, I found an error. The author used the homophone "patients" instead of "patience" in their dedication. The first two sentences of the book are also written as fragments of a single sentence. They should be written: "Far in the future, on the first day of the Atlantean civil war—the first battle that will decide the fate of the empire—two armies converge at the border of Lapillus and the heart of the empire." The official reviewer said the book was free of errors, which seems to be incorrect. My reading revealed many more errors in sentence structure, capitalization (inconsistent capitalization of "shadow hound," for instance), and word use in just the first few pages.

I really wasn't drawn into the Preface or first chapter. After reading the synopsis, I was expecting something entirely different, and I was waiting for that story to start. I liked the prose—the writing was beautiful—but it failed to hold my interest. I would recommend reorganizing the beginning so that something more gripping starts off this story.

I will not purchase the book because I lost interest very quickly, despite the skill behind the writing.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 11:34 pm by winecellarlibrary.

Annelore Trujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb, OBC review, cover and title. I’m not really into Greek mythology, so this didn’t seem like the book for me. After reading the first ten pages, I won’t be finishing this book. The talk of the army coming and how the people weren’t ready to fight isn’t my type of story. It also talked right away about snowflakes coming out of her hand and making the sword. This just isn’t my type of book. I liked that the book so far was well written, and the book did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 11:32 pm by Annelore Trujillo.

Mercy119

This book's cover didn't entice me to read it. The OBC review dissuaded me when it mentioned that the author narrates a coming-of-age story infused with Greek mythology. That storyline doesn't appeal to me, so I won't read the rest of the book. When I read the first ten pages, I liked that the author recognized the Great Oak's influence. A town was born, it morphed into a city, then a country established because of the Great Oak. I spotted no errors in the text, so I will conclude that it underwent professional editing. There's nothing I disliked about the bit I read, so I wouldn't change anything about it.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 10:30 pm by Mercy119.

brooke oakes

I think I would have sampled or read this book outside this program. I think its cover and title are interesting. It’s OBC and Amazon review appealed to me with the mention of Greek mythology. The book starts with an ominous storm during an impending war. I liked the vivid descriptions and I’m curious to learn more about these characters as I read the book.I don't notice any errors, while I read. I don't think this book needs any improvement.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 10:01 pm by brooke oakes.

evraealtana

I don't generally like books that center on teenagers, so I would not have chosen this one for myself based on the official OBC review. I know that people name their children ridiculous things sometimes, but I absolutely hate the name "Victorious", especially for a girl. I liked that the prologue featured a female leader, although I wish she had been a woman rather than a teenage girl. The scene of her almost-arrest and the ensuing battle, though, felt melodramatic and excessively flashy. If Joss and Miele were coming to arrest her, surely they knew about her potential powers; why, then, were they so shocked and so easily defeated? Wouldn't the King have sent someone at least reasonably capable to arrest her? The transition in setting felt abrupt, like the author was trying to tell two wildly different stories at the same time. I wanted some connection between the magical fantasy battle scene and the Great Depression railroad, but I found none. Also, I'm a bit tired of the "sleepy little U.S. town has a magical/mythological past" trope (not explicitly discussed in the sample, but I'm guessing that's where this is going based on the official review). I didn't really enjoy anything about the sample, so I will not continue reading. I found one error in the first ten pages: a typo in "Victorious' feelings for him ranged from love to hate" (Victorious's).

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 9:57 pm by evraealtana.

Jorge Leon Salazar

I consider the cover and the title to be consistent with the story. However, I think the cover image is very dark, which makes it less conspicuous. In any event, I think many interested readers would be attracted. The fantasy genre is not my favorite, and I am not a fan of Greek mythology either. The blurb expresses the story focuses on 17-year-old Victoria "Vic" Hartley. While the ancients try to protect her, the enemies seek to destroy her. Plus, it mentions she is realizing unique abilities and growing powers that she doesn't understand. The customer reviews give this book a good rating. Based on these aspects, I am uninclined to try this book. The first pages narrate about Victorious and the confrontation with the Red Guard. She defends her territory, Lapillus, from the invasion of the High King's army. Victorious's depiction is astonishing in presenting her as a brave warrior. She leads her people with gallantry. The setting, although not completely described, seems to be a very old time. An expectation is created about what will happen after she defeats Miele and Joss, the leaders of the Red Guard. Next, the story jumps to another era in Florida, in the town of Great Oak. There it is told about Vic, her sister Lana and her family. There is an expectation of how both stories are going to intertwine. The official OnlineBookClub review indicates this book is a fantasy story blended with Greek mythology with a contemporary coming-of-age story. Also, it comments this is the first installment in a series called Olympic Legacy. The editing looks professional as I didn't see any details to comment on. In general, I did not see anything that I believe could be improved. What I read glimpses a well-constructed story, but the fantasy genre and Greek mythology are not my favorites. Therefore, I will not read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 9:34 pm by Jorge Leon Salazar.

Mariana Figueira

Before reading the book's first pages, I wasn't interested in it because nothing on the cover or the title got my attention. After sampling the book, I don't want to continue reading it because the story didn't captivate me. I like the cryptic message that the old man gives to Victorious, and I wonder why he had to watch his children die. This book seems professionally edited and has an official Online BookClub review. There was nothing I saw that needed improvement. Neither the blurb, customer reviews, nor editorial reviews affect my decision not to read the book.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 9:21 pm by Mariana Figueira.

MsH2k

Based on the cover, title, and genre, I would not have sampled this book if I were not part of this program. I don’t read many sci-if books, and the blurb did not reveal a plot that interested me. The sample pages established Victorious’s status and powers well and shared a bit of the history of the land. I like that the story has a strong female lead, but I did not feel compelled to continue reading, so I will not buy this book. It appeared professionally edited; I did not notice any grammatical errors in the first ten pages, and I have no suggestions for improvement. The featured OnlineBookClub review was thorough and well written, but it had no bearing on my decision. Other editorial reviews and customer reviews had no bearing either.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 6:30 pm by MsH2k.

Scerakor

After reviewing the title, genre, cover, blurb, and review of this book, I would not have read this book. Although I'm attracted by the historical fiction aspects, I didn't like that this one was going to jump back and forth between time periods. After reading the first ten pages I didn't change my mind and therefore will not be buying and reading the rest of this book. I enjoyed the descriptive writing and the promise of action. One phrase that well exemplified both was "..the sky opened up and lightning poured down from the heavens a string of pure blue and white power, striking the tip of her sword." That being said, and as mentioned earlier, I prefer to stay within one timeline in a novel like this. I didn't see any errors in the short sample and therefore would say that it looked well written and edited. The thing I would have improved from the sample I read is actually the name "Victorious". I've never liked names that were synonymous for other words and find them presumptuous and leading to the reader. There was an official OBC review, but it did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 2:25 pm by Scerakor.

Michelle Menezes

Based on the title and cover, I thought the book was a science-fiction or a fantasy novel. The blurb was mildly interesting, and the Official OnlineBookClub review had good things to say about it. I don't read editorial or customer reviews, as I don't want to get influenced by them and would like to form my own opinion. Based on the above things, I thought of giving it a try. After reading the first ten pages, I have decided not to continue with the book. While I liked the interaction between Victorious and Miele, nothing else captured my interest, so I'm not too keen on reading it. I also got the impression that the book has a lot of violence and gore, which is something I dislike. I found two errors, so the book does not seem professionally edited. For example, "The Great Wall… protecting the core of the island of Atlantis." Based on the tenses of the words in the first half of the sentence, the word should have been "protected" instead of "protecting." I don't think the book needs any improvement.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 1:27 pm by Michelle Menezes.

Kajori Sheryl Paul

'Storm Front Over Atlantis' is written by E.W. Roberts. In the land of Atlantis, the Red Army was approaching to overtake Victorious' people. The Great Atlantic Railroad was being built to connect Jacksonville and Tallahassee. The Great Oak grabbed the attention of the workers. With time, a sleepy town was established in the area. Vic was born there in the same year when a new tree took root there. I like the engaging way the author connects the story of Victorious with Victoria. There are no errors. There is nothing in need of an improvement. The OBC review is appreciative. I would read this book based on the cover, title, genre, blurb, editorial reviews, and customer reviews as I like the premise. l will read this book as I wish to know how Victorious is connected with Vic.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 12:25 pm by Kajori Sheryl Paul.

Chelsy Scherba

I enjoyed how epic the first chapter was. Victorious must lead her people to victory to save a remnant from destruction. I don’t really read books in this genre, so I would not have found this book outside of the program. I didn’t see any issues with the editing, so it definitely looks professionally edited without mistakes. The cover image is interesting, I like the blue colors, moon, and shadows. I have no suggestions for improvements. I’m on a budget due to the holidays, but I would consider reading this book in the future once funds allow. The OBC review mentioned the book is about mythology, which I also like. There’s really nothing I dislike, so I’ll add it to my list.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 11:42 am by Chelsy Scherba.

Sanju Lali

I guessed that this is a historical fiction book focused on Atlantis when I saw its cover and title. Therefore, I decided to read an OBC official review of this book to know the premise of the story. The OBC official review gave me the idea that this is a mythological fiction revolving around the Great Oak and realm of Atlantis. This information motivated me to read the sample of the book before purchasing it. When I read the first ten pages, I realized that this book was not professionally edited because I found some grammatical errors in the sample. For example, the sentence, “The city and county flourished for many years, until the darkness came from a flash of bright light." The sentence could have been as follows. "The city and county flourished for many years until the darkness came from a flash of bright light." The thing l liked the most was the soothing telephonic conversation between Victoria and her great grandfather because I found it heartwarming. To my dismay, I felt stranded because the narrative jumped abruptly from one topic to another, and I could not understand where the story was going. This reason put me off the book. I would have been glad if there was an introduction before every new scene. I would suggest the author for a round of professional editing and look at my problems as described above. After looking at all these aspects, I decided not to purchase and read this book today. I will wait until the author looks at my suggestions so that while reading the book, I can clearly understand where the story was moving.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 8:58 am by Sanju Lali.

Brenda Creech

I am not a sci-fi fantasy fan, so I would not have checked this book out based on the cover and title. After reading a few customer reviews on Amazon and reading the OBC review, I was beginning to get interested in what the book is about. While reading the sample, I found several errors but nothing that needed improvement. A mistake I found at 27% of the sample was only a missing word from this portion of a sentence: "...then saw the picture on top of the TV..." should read "...then 'she' saw the picture on top of the TV..." Based on what I read, I would say the book was professionally edited. The story begins in the future in Atlantis with Queen Victorius facing the beginning of a civil war. With her special powers, she was able to push back the army of men who had come to attack Lapillus, the land of the Gem Cities. The story reverts to the present time to Victoria Hartley, better known by her nickname Vic. She is a teenage girl being bullied at school by three brothers until she fights all three of them and walks away unharmed. I could not figure out how the two stories related to each other, but I'm sure they do. I never fully understand sci-fi stories, so I am not a fan. For that reason, I don't plan to read any more of the book.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 7:57 am by Brenda Creech.

Rosemary Owolabi

I wouldn't have picked this book if it weren't for the first ten samples. The front cover looks like a horror book, and I don't like horrors. 
I will buy the book to continue reading it because the story looks promising. Reading the first ten pages of this book changed my guesses about this book. I will read the book because I enjoyed reading the first chapter.
Based on what I read in the first ten pages, there were no typos/errors.
I like how life came back to the town after the old oak was struck by thunder. The town slowly begins to come back to life, and another tree sprouts.Hopefully, it will turn out to be a big oak. The story pans to Vic and Lana afterwards. The writer's storytelling skills are fantastic. I don't think anything should be improved other than the front cover. I found it a bit dark. But it is okay.
The book received great reviews and ratings on Amazon and Kindle Unlimited.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 7:30 am by Rosemary Owolabi.

gen_g

Looking at the title and Amazon blurb, the book seems to incorporate many themes of Greek mythology; I am not in the market for such fiction, so I would not have sampled it. There is a positive OBC review of the book (which I encountered), but due to the fact that I am not looking for books with themes of Greek mythology at the moment, my decision regarding sampling would not have changed. I have also spotted a couple of errors present, and I do suggest more rigorous editing to improve book quality. For example, at 9% of the book, there is a space inserted after the ellipsis, where there should be none: "...death sentence for them.....( )and yet...". Also, an ellipsis consists of only three periods, not five. However, I do appreciate the inclusion of detail. To illustrate, the reader is given an insight into Victorious's childhood. Victorious and Theron are sparring, and when she falls and Theron stabs her in the shoulder, he tells her never to show fear to her opponent. He states that showing fear is how one loses a battle before it has even begun. Other than the need for more editing, I do not have further suggestions for improvement. I am not in the market for books with themes of Greek mythology, so I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 5:34 am by gen_g.

Sonya Nicolaidis

I really wasn’t sure what to expect from this book. The impression that I got from the OBC reviewer gave me the idea this was quite a straightforward story that blends two worlds in the present and in the past. Had it been for the cover and title alone, I wouldn’t have stopped for a closer look. It is dark and unappealing and the word ‘front’ in the title seems superfluous and makes the title cumbersome. I wasn’t too impressed by the opening pages of the sample either. It is very difficult to write a supernatural battle scene, and unfortunately I felt as if this author didn’t pull it off quite a well as expected. However, the subsequent pages improved, especially with the story about the Great Oak and its symbolism and also the introduction of some very interesting characters. I didn’t see any errors, so I believe this book was professionally edited. To improve, a rethink of the cover design and the title might be in order to make more of an impact. As for me, I doubt I would read much more of this for fear of having to sift through any more arduous supernatural battles to get to the good bits.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 4:21 am by Sonya Nicolaidis.

SweetSourSalty AndSpicy

I will sample this book outside the program. The word “Atlantis” caught my attention. Likewise, the cover looks neat and organized. The silhouette gives an air of mystery. Based on the blurb, the identity of the main character sounds intriguing. Reviews are positive. After sampling, what I like is the murder investigation. I am curious how mythology weaves into the mystery. Hence, I will continue reading the book. There are editing issues. Here are some examples.

Location 21. Spelling. Consider adding hyphens.

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

CHAPTER [TWENTY-ONE]
CHAPTER [TWENTY-TWO]
CHAPTER [TWENTY-THREE]
CHAPTER [TWENTY-FOUR]
CHAPTER [TWENTY-FIVE]

Location 53. Spelling. "Patience" is miswritten.

To my wife, whose support and patients made this book possible.

To my wife, whose support and [patience] made this book possible.

Location 75. Grammar. Consider changing "unwelcome" with "unwelcomed."

The old man walked in, unwelcome and uninvited. Victorious' feelings for him ranged from love to hate.

The old man walked in, [unwelcomed] and uninvited. Victorious' feelings for him ranged from love to hate.

I suggest adding a map of the mythical world and a glossary. The official OnlineBookClub review has helpful insights.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 3:50 am by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy.

Joseph Mutuku 1

The first ten pages of this book chronicle a riveting story. I liked the prologue section; it was well-written. I was absorbed by the story as the author filled the earlier pages of this book with the story of the Great Oak tree that attracted people to build the Great Oak city, its death and the sickling city thereafter, the coming of a new tree, and the birth of a new girl child, Vic—rekindling the once-dead hope. I think both the book’s cover page and the title were attractive and suitable; moreover, I think the book was professionally edited; I found zero errors in the first ten pages. Reading the sample didn’t convince me to read on; I’m not a fan of fantasy reads. The official Online Book Club review was also insightful—enough to answer most of the questions I would have before selecting this book. Even though I enjoyed the sample, I am not going to finish reading it because of the aforementioned reasons. I have no advice for the author.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 1:58 am by Joseph Mutuku 1.

J_odoyo

After reading the first ten pages of this book (Storm Front Over Atlantis by E.W. Roberts), I’ve realized that the book seems to have been well-written and riveting. Concisely, the book’s cover page was well designed, and the title was also okay. The book had an official OnlineBookClub review, which gave an insight into what the book was all about. I didn’t encounter any objective error in the sample, and I would guess the book was professionally edited. The first ten pages were absorbing as I read paragraph after paragraph. The death of the Great Oak tree goes with the hope of people, and a once hope-filled city dies. However, a few years later, hope reappears: a new tree sprout just the same year a baby girl was born. The progress of this story is welcoming, and I can’t help guessing what is next. I have no recommendation for the improvement of this book; the sample was well written, and I disliked nothing in it. The Amazon website’s book description was also informative. Having read the sample and the OnlineBookClub review, I’m not going to finish reading this book because I’m not a fan of this genre.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 1:40 am by J_odoyo.

Kaitlyn Canedy

If Storm Front Over Atlantis hadn't been the OnlineBookClub's book of the day, I would have skipped the sample of it. Greek mythology is something I don't understand much about, although I do appreciate what I do know about the gods and goddesses. The description mentions that the book is based in Florida, which is what caught my attention the most. There is one written customer review, but it did not affect my decision. I liked Vic's character; she is very strong and is not afraid to do what she needs to do. However, because I am not into Greek mythology that much, I have decided to skip this book. I did not see any grammatical errors in the sample, and I can think of no improvements that can be done to the book. There is an official OnlineBookClub review for this title, but this review did not affect my decision to skip the book. Teenagers who enjoy Greek mythology may like this title.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 1:36 am by Kaitlyn Canedy.

Ari Martinez

If it wasn't for this program, I wouldn't sample this book based on its title, cover, or Official OnlineBookClub review because I don't tend to read series, and I don't care much about Greek mythology. After reading the first ten pages, I will not continue reading the book because I don't think I will be able to really appreciate the plot. My favorite part of what I read was the prologue. I usually don't enjoy reading about wars, but I was enthralled by the way this war was developing. I can't think of any way to improve the book, and it appears professionally edited.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 1:04 am by Ari Martinez.

Stephanie Runyon

The background on the cover is pleasant to look at. I would have not sampled this book due to the mythology element it involves. I did like the story's progression with Vic, as her character is well-developed and easy to relate to. There were no errors in what I read and believe the book is professionally edited. I have no suggestions for improvement. The OBC review did influence my thoughts on reading the story. The character development and progress that the review described piqued my interest. I will read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 12:37 am by Stephanie Runyon.

Howlan

I would have read this book without the program, as I was intrigued by the synopsis. I like young adult fantasies with an excellent mysterious plot, and this concept intrigued me. We are introduced to Vic declaring war on the High King in the first ten pages. Then we are transported back to the past when we see Vic taking care of her sister Lana and her father. She talks with her great-grandfather, who is off on some mysterious adventure. I like the well-paced narrative and promising beginning. The character of Vic seems interesting as she is portrayed as solid and dependable. I love how the first ten pages turned out, so I will buy and read the rest of this book as I am interested in the story and the characters. No typos were found in the first ten pages. I found nothing to improve in the first ten pages. The official OBC review is present, and the reviewer rates it highly.

First Ten review added on December 21, 2021, at 12:05 am by Howlan.

Gabrielle Sigaki

Storm Front Over Atlantis by E.W. Roberts is a fantasy novel that brings a coming-of-age story with Greek mythology. If I didn't sample this book, I wouldn't read it based on its Official OnlineBookClub review since I'm not interested in reading books that involve Greek mythology. After sampling it, I didn't change my mind and I won't read the entire book because of the reason I stated before. However, the book seems professionally edited, there's nothing to be improved in it, and I liked the fact that the author shifts from one perspective to another, but also connects them through the place's history.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 8:51 pm by Gabrielle Sigaki.

Kira Bonita Reece

I would choose to read this book based on the official online book club review, the cover and the blurb. The sample I read seemed to be professionally edited. What I liked most about this book was Victorious' character. She seems relatable. However, I think the first ten pages failed to grab my attention. There where way too many descriptions and hardly any action. Also, I'm not interested in Greek mythology so I'll be passing on this one.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 8:24 pm by Kira Bonita Reece.

Rachael S 1

I love when books begin with a prologue. It gives the story a suspenseful feeling, which is very important to me when I choose books to read. The cover of the book adds to the suspense. I like how there is a silhouette of the main character looking out onto the world, as though there is something that must be accomplished. After reading the OBC review, I would enjoy purchasing and reading the full story. There was nothing I believe should be improved upon in the first few pages of the novel. I also did not notice any grammatical or spelling errors in the first few pages.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 7:10 pm by Rachael S 1.

Sarah_Khan

I like the cover and title of this book, they made me want to find out more. I definitely would have sampled this even without the First Ten program because I have always been interested in Olympian gods. The first few pages were well edited. It was sad to read about the contrast between Lana's bright smile and Vic's pain-filled eyes. The OBC review was positive and strengthened my decision to read the rest of this book. I look forward to see how this story plays out. I do not have any suggestions for the author.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 6:18 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Emy Katherine

The story follows the adventure journey of a 17-year-old girl named Victoria “Vic” Hartley, whose life changes when she discovers she possesses supernatural powers that will help her save the realm of Atlantis. Because I am not fond of fantasy novels, I would not have read the book without this program. Unsurprisingly, I did not change my mind after reading the first ten pages. The OBC review was informative but did not convince me to read the whole book. Unfortunately, I did not feel invested in the story even though I liked the author's clear, descriptive writing style. Considering I was thrown into the action from the very first page, this story will appeal to those who enjoy stories filled with suspense, action, and magic. I found no errors throughout the first ten pages, so the book seemed to be professionally edited. Personally, nothing needs to be improved.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 5:42 pm by Emy Katherine.

asteel18

Based on the OBC review, Amazon reviews, and cool book cover I probably would have read this book. I will not be reading the rest after reading the first ten pages. I realize that the stories are connected, but it was too much all at once. There also seemed to be many, many characters introduced too quickly. I didn't notice any typos, but some of the conversations seemed stilted and not necessarily how people talk to each other. What I liked most was when Vic took out her bullies. I did like her character in the pages I read. If there's anything to recommend, I'd say space out the beginning a bit so we can really get to know the characters.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 4:42 pm by asteel18.

AntonelaMaria

If I haven't read the sample of this book through this program, I wouldn't have read it otherwise. Based on the blurb, this is YA fantasy, a genre I don't like to read very much. Greek-inspired mythology books are nothing new either, and I have read my fair share of them, so it is not intriguing enough. After reading the sample, I haven't changed my mind. My favorite part of this book is that it follows a female protagonist. Vic seems like an interesting character. Just because it is not a book for me, it doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend it to other people. This book seems like it was professionally edited. I didn't notice any errors. There is nothing I would change about this book. There is an Official Onlinebookclub review of this book, and it was informative. Sadly, I wasn't convinced to read this book.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 3:49 pm by AntonelaMaria.

Bertha Jackson

The book’s cover and title caught my attention from the first. With the book being science fiction, I thought it would be about the lost continent. The blurb and positive editorial review revealed the book's Greek mythology, and the mediocre customer review did not affect my decision. I enjoyed reading the first ten pages and liked the smooth transition between Atlantis and Great Oak, Florida. I am curious about the possible connection between Victorious and Vic. The OnlineBookClub review did not affect my decision to read the book. I did not see anything in the first ten pages to recommend the author change as it appears to have been professionally edited. I did not see any errors. I have downloaded the book and will eventually read it.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 3:49 pm by Bertha Jackson.

Timothy Rucinski

I absolutely loved the cover. I truly enjoy a minimal use of color, light, and shadow on a cover, which creates a nice, mysterious mood. Since I often find myself in the sci-fi/fantasy section of a bookstore, this would have caught my eye. The Official OBC Review, however, did nothing to make me want to read the book, primarily because I'm not really interested in teenager coming-of-age books at this time, even though I have a strong appreciation for Greek mythology. After reading the first several pages, it's obvious that the author is a very good writer. I particularly liked the dialogue, especially between Vic and Gramps, which sounded absolutely realistic. There isn't anything that I disliked other than the genre. It's because of the genre that I won't be reading this book. I have no recommendations for improvement and I believe it was professionally edited as I found no errors.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 3:47 pm by Timothy Rucinski.

markodim721

I would choose to read a sample of this book because of the title and cover. I also read the blurb, editorial reviews, and customer reviews but they did not influence my decision. The title of the book is associated with mystery, action, and adventure. The cover of the book fits well with the title and associates the reader with action and danger. I’m not going to read the book because it’s not the genre I prefer. While reading the sample I didn’t notice any typos or errors and the book seems like it is professionally edited. Reading the sample somewhat change my mind from my original guess. I like how the Great Oak is described as timeless and with deep roots. I don't think anything needs to be improved in the book. The book has an Official OnlineBookClub review, I read it but it also did not influence my decision.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 3:26 pm by markodim721.

Laura Ungureanu

The first thing I noticed was what seemed like Burj Khalifa in the background of the cover, so I was intrigued by the prospect of reading a book set in Dubai. The title didn't make sense to me, but I still wanted to see more. However, the Amazon description said that the book is about Atlantis, so it's totally different than what I imagined. The OBC review made me realize that this book isn't for me because it combines coming-of-age with fantasy, which are two genres I don't like. The book had just one or two editorial and customer reviews, so there was not a lot to go on, but I already made up my mind anyway. I only sampled it because of the program. The sample seemed very typical of the fantasy genre. It has a feeling of epicness and mystery because of the upcoming battle and the unknown old man that appears. This didn't impress me, as it felt too common. Maybe people who love this genre will be able to appreciate it the right way, but I didn't find anything to enjoy, so the whole book is a no for me. I can't suggest any improvements because the book might be perfect for the right audience, but the plot didn't interest me at all. I didn't find any errors concerning the editing, so I think it's professionally edited.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 3:23 pm by Laura Ungureanu.

Yvonne Monique

The book cover is beautifully designed, and the book title is intriguing. I would pick this book up if I would see it in a bookstore. The blurb and OBC review give a good description, but make the story sound a bit complicated. They do not influence my decision to read the sample. The sample is well edited. I liked the author's writing style and imagination. The first ten pages are filled with original names, mysterious terms and intriguing events. Although I like a good fantasy novel once in a while, I have decided not to read this book. The reason is that this is the first book in a series, and due to my current lifestyle I would not be able to immerse myself in a complex fantasy story that is covered by several books. I have no suggestions for improvement.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 3:20 pm by Yvonne Monique.

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda

I love the two-toned cover. I also applaud that the author kept the blurb concise but still opened questions to hook the reader. However, I'm still not sure about the focus of the book. Is this a YA fantasy? A mystery, since there is "bloody chaos" involved? This vagueness added to the fact that I rarely read fantasy, is why I wouldn't have bought the book based on my first impressions, no matter the high ratings.
What I liked about the first ten pages was the contrasts in the character of Victorious. While she is still relatable (i.e. "She also knew he was always right, and she hated him even more for that") she also delivers a mind-blowing speech ("My blood runs in this land, as does yours. This land is ours by birthright and by law. They have come to take it from us, to change our very way of life. They want our lands for themselves. They want you to be their slaves... We are few, but our hearts are strong and filled with the courage of our ancestors. We fight not for ourselves, but for those who cannot fight.") However, as a matter of personal taste, I don't care much for fantastic elements, such as swords that appear out of nowhere (granted, it appeared out of "silver flakes" but still...) or for battle scenes.
There are a couple of editing mistakes. The first one is in position 52: "To my wife, whose support and patients made this book possible." Unless the author's wife is a medical professional whose patients inspired this story, I think the author meant "patience." I suggest fixing minor editing mistakes and stating the genre of the novel in the blurb. The official OBC review didn't change my mind, because, though this seems to be a perfectly executed novel, it's not a genre I enjoy.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 2:43 pm by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda.

Astral Magi

I love mythology and like the blend with fantasy. The cover and title caught my attention immediately. I would have chosen the book based on these if I hadn't read the first ten pages. The official OBC review, as well as the first ten pages, confirmed my initial response. The customer reviews also played a part. There wasn't a blurb available. I liked how Victoria slowly comes to learn about her heritage. I can't wait to find out if she is able to fulfill her destiny. There were no errors and nothing needs to be improved. The book was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 2:38 pm by Astral Magi.

Theresa Moffitt

From the cover of this book it looks to be a fantasy or science fiction novel. It is the first book of a series. The cover art and title look intriguing to me. I would have been curious about the story and picked this book up based on the cover alone. The Online Book Club review was very positive and gave the book a perfect rating. I didn’t read any additional customer reviews. The first ten pages begin at a time “far in the future.” There is a war happening and Queen Victorious is trying to save her people. Instead of warriors, her people are mostly farmers. They can’t seem to match the strength of the opposing side. I didn’t see any errors in the first ten pages, so I believe the book was professionally edited. I also didn’t see any area that the author could improve upon. I didn’t feel like I was drawn into the story enough during the first ten pages to want to finish reading the book. For that reason, I will not finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2021, at 1:20 pm by Theresa Moffitt.

Total ~ 22%

Storm Front Over Atlantis earned a score of 22%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 22% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Storm Front Over Atlantis