Cover for Hunted

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Hunted

Because Hunted was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

xsquare

The cover is reminiscent of a typical young adult romance novel, which is not exactly my cup of tea – I wouldn’t have sampled this book if it hadn’t been part of the First Ten program. I liked the writing style of the book – it’s pretty engaging, and the characters seemed likeable enough. However, I did spot several typos, such as in the sentence ‘[...] even the girls preferred fitting in with “American names.”’, where the full stop should have been after the closing apostrophe. If there was one thing that could be improved about the book, it would be cleaning up the minor errors. Despite the stellar rating from the official OBC review, I won’t be reading the rest of the book as I’m not very fond of romance novels, and I found the typos rather distracting.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2020, at 4:37 am by xsquare.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

evraealtana

I was turned off by the official OBC review because I don't like vampire novels or romance novels, while this seems to be a combination of the two. The first ten pages made me cringe, which I was expecting given the content. I liked the idea of a formerly suicidal young woman being given the chance to live a normal(-ish) life again, which seems uplifting. I felt that the suicide scene, though, was overly dramatic; it felt to me like she was crying out for help rather than actually trying to die. I also don't like the message in this that seems to be aimed at teenage girls: that losing a man (regardless of the reason) is a reason to kill yourself. I also didn't like that the other young vampires refer to her as "Mama E", which seems unnatural to me, as either a given name (never revealed in the first ten pages) or "Mama" would be a more natural name to use. "Mama E" seems to imply that there are many other mothers, known by other initials, which I doubt is the case. Neither Danny nor Darren made much of an impression on me, so I don't really have opinions on them yet. I can't fault the author for my lack of interest in the subject, but I will most definitely not be reading the rest of the book. I noted one error in the first ten pages: a missing hyphen in "I waded waist high into the water" (waist-high).

First Ten review added on November 19, 2020, at 4:36 am by evraealtana.

Ekta Kumari

The storyline revolves around vampires and a vampire hunter and has its basis in romantic fantasy genre. The story is centered around a murder that takes place at a 3-day live action role play (LARP) event where a vampire gets murdered and a recruit, Daniel, gets accused of it. Will a vampire hunter named Darren Paxton and a vampire, Edith, be able to sort through the mess while emotions develop between them? I liked the premise, though I wasn't going to read the book if it wasn't a part of the top ten program as I didn't find the cover page or the title attention grabbing. Plus, I wasn't looking forward to read a vampire story. The thing I did like the most while sampling, though, is that the author takes the time to establish the background details of the storyline. The immersive world-building details also captured my attention. I also liked the mysticism around Edith's character. I find her to be of particular interest to me. I did find an error in the portion sampled, so I would recommend rectifying it. The error is in this sentence, "Vampires could outrun an automobile if they felt the need. Which begged the question: Why did he feel the need to come?" I believe there should be a comma before 'Which' instead of a period. I did see an official review before sampling. I've no other recommendations for improvements. However, I'll not be reading the whole book as I don't think I'll enjoy a read revolving around vampirism.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2020, at 4:23 am by Ekta Kumari.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book as the cover looks really great and the blurb looks interesting. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The writing was really interesting, especially since the sample left off on a very intriguing memory. I did find an error, however, in "Angel tip toed to kiss my cheek" when "tiptoed" should be one word. Therefore, perhaps some more editing is needed. I really like vampire stories and from the official review the suspense and character development seems promising. Therefore, the official review did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2020, at 4:04 am by psychopathycathy.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Jeremie Mondejar

The cover photo looks stunning, which pushes me to sample the book. I sampled this book based on the program. While reading the sample, I almost vomit while imagining Edith going to drink the tea with blood. I like the plot and the OBC review excites me more. I can't decide as of this time, but I will read this in the future because I also wanted to explore more on vampire novels. The OBC review influences my decision. I didn't notice any typos. The book seems professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2020, at 2:52 am by Jeremie Mondejar.

Sonya Nicolaidis

The cover of this book and it’s title were very attractive and ordinarily I would have definitely stopped for a second look. However, upon reading the OBC reviewer’s comments and realizing that this was a vampire novel, I realized that this is not a good choice for me. I don’t like vampire books as a rule, and especially not ones written with young adults in mind. The sample started well, and I liked the way the story spans centuries emphasizing the timelessness of vampires. The references to blood on toast turned my stomach a bit and I didn’t really enjoy that aspect of the story. I felt like it was bordering on gratuitous. The text seemed to be expertly edited as I didn’t notice any errors in grammar and punctuation, and generally the writing was good and flowed easily. This would be a great book for younger readers and I could see it made into (yet another) vampire movie, but there was nothing original or different in what I read so far. Perhaps a unique slant might make this book stand out a bit more. I won’t be buying or reading it.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2020, at 2:48 am by Sonya Nicolaidis.

AvidBibliophile

The cover art sparks a fiery appeal that is visually scintillating and alluring. The Amazon product description entices prospective readers with mentions of vampire centenarians and LARPing conventions. The story begins in 1918 with wedding dresses on muddy riverbanks as devious vampires speak with hypnotic persuasion. Then the plot jumps to 2018 with the same female character mothering a pair of Cambodian refugees. The initial portion of this book is very engaging, but it does appear to have some minor errors present. The end punctuation for the book's very first sentence appears as a bold period, but I'm not sure why it appears in bold at all. At 24% of the sample, the phrase "[Good bye], Mr. Heartsong" should instead appear as a closed compound term (Goodbye), and the compound adjective should be hyphenated in "if given near(-)infinite time." At 34% of the sample, an unnecessary apostrophe appears in the phrase "since the hunters['] declared their plan." The one published OBC review is persuasively positive, and the six currently posted Amazon user ratings are equally complimentary. Since I don't generally choose to read vampire stories, I will be passing on this romantic murder mystery, but readers who enjoy dark fantasy novels with supernatural creatures will likely love envisioning teenage girls "nibbling on wheat toast spread with blood." I enjoyed the descriptive writing quality, but the specified genre just isn't for me.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2020, at 2:47 am by AvidBibliophile.

Sou Hi

The cover is not very suggestive, and it doesn't match well with the title. I can hardly guess what the book is about based on these alone. There are not many responses from Amazon's customers, but there's a good rating from the official review. Since I'm interested in fantasy themes, I opt for the book. The sample begins with Beth, a human girl, trying to commit suicide after losing her beloved Daniel. One hundred years later, she is seen again, this time with her two adoptive daughters. They are now all vampires, organizing an event to find potential candidates to introduce to the Vampire Institute.

I like the fantasy concept and the smooth wording of this book. The family loves are a plus, and the editing looks good. However, the motif of vampires and humans has been exploited too many times, and this book is not very creative. Also, it's quite unnatural that the vampire can openly recruit new members right under the enemy's nose. It's like they never expect that the hunters can discover their doings. And in fact, they are already under suspicion as Darren states. Because this book does not pique my interest, I don't intend to buy it.

Error example: their less-than 98.6-degree body temperature -> Should be [less-than-98.6-degree]

First Ten review added on November 19, 2020, at 2:43 am by Sou Hi.

Howlan

The cover looks good. The synopsis gives us a general introduction to this book. The first ten pages introduce Edith, as she is turned into a vampire by Mr. Heartsong as she was taking her own life in 1918. Then we are taken to 2018 when Edith and her adopted daughters, Angel and Hope, try to recruit humans into becoming vampires through a vampire-human roleplaying annual event set up by the Heartsong clan. A teenager names Dan Paxton joined up as a vampire, but his vampire hunter brother saw this as an opportunity to kill the Heartsong clan. The first ten pages are quite timid. It is generally similar to many vampire romance stories out there, and nothing in the first ten pages really interested me. No new concepts of vampirism, no interesting characters, and overall, nothing stands out. So, I am not going to buy and read this book as I am not interested in the story. No typos were found in the first ten pages. I found nothing to improve in the first ten pages. The Official Review is present, and the reviewer rates it highly.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2020, at 1:45 am by Howlan.

Jsovermyer

The cover is beautiful, and I would buy this book from the cover alone. This is part murder mystery and part supernatural romance. I always love a good vampire novel. The official reviewer liked this story. I like that it has a few different twists on classic vampire lore. Only being able to turn seven people into vampires before you die is a unique idea. Also recruiting during a Larping festival is a funny way to make more vampires. The only thing I found confusing was that they were fighting for vampire rights in 1914. That seems too early for people to know about vampires to me. I found a grammatical error at location 95 where it has, "I wanted my adopted daughters Hope and Angel." It is missing commas after daughters and after Angel. I like the story so far and am interested in the vampire hunter, Darren. I want to see if he saves his brother, Danny. I would like to finish this story.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2020, at 12:33 am by Jsovermyer.

Annelore Trujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb, OBC review, cover and title. I don’t do vampire books. After reading the first ten pages, I won’t be finishing this book. I liked that this was a unique take on vampire life. They were working on recruiting new humans to vampire life. The vampires also weren’t immortal. Once they turned 7 people, they died. This was definitely an interesting take. However, the editing needs improvement. The spacing around dashes was inconsistent. Also, “hunters’” didn’t not need an apostrophe as it was plural, not possessive. I don’t buy books that aren’t professionally edited, and this book didn’t seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2020, at 12:17 am by Annelore Trujillo.

Aditi Sapate

Nowadays, I prefer reading non-fiction books, so I wouldn't have chosen to read this romance novel based on the title, cover and genre. When I read the official OnlineBookClub review, I found out that this is a vampire story. I was further discouraged from reading the book, as I'm not a fan of vampire stories. When I started reading the book, I liked how slow paced the lives of Miss Dorset and her daughters was. I enjoyed reading those scenes. The camaraderie between Angel and Hope seemed very real. However, I know what is to follow in this vampire story. I feel that fans of vampire romances will enjoy this book a lot, but I will not continue reading this book. The sample did not contain any grammatical errors as far as I read it.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2020, at 12:00 am by Aditi Sapate.

AnnOgochukwu

Although this book was categorized under 'other fiction', it perfectly fits the description of the fantasy genre. Being a lover of fantasy, I am certain that I would have at least checked out the reviews of this book, regardless of this program. In fact, I remember that prior to it being BOTD, I had seen the official review of the book, and I remember being intrigued by it. So, reading the review once again served to refresh my memory. Proceeding to the sample, I enjoyed the bit that I read. I liked the narration and flow of the story, I also liked that the 'vampire life' presented by the author was not cliche. My reading was smooth as I found only one error, a missing comma in the statement, "...I wanted my adopted daughters Hope and Angel to..." Generally, I think this book is good to go. However, I doubt I would be completing it. My decision not to complete this book is purely based on whim, I don't feel intrigued by the book anymore. Probably because vampire fantasy isn't on my 'to read' list at the moment.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 11:43 pm by AnnOgochukwu.

Laura Lee

The Amazon blurb really intrigued me, as did the book review. The cover is a work of art. Everything about the presentation appealed to me and I wanted to read it . . . right up until I read the ages of the protagonists. LOL This is NOTHING against the book. It's actually well written and professionally edited. I like vampire stories and I really enjoyed the author's "voice." There was enough description to let me, as the reader, picture the action in my own mind, without the over-the-top, too-wordy descriptions of many inexperienced writers. I was also charmed by the idea of a group of vampires working on vampire-human relations, and the vote. This was particularly interesting because the book starts in 1918, which was two years before women in the US actually got the right to vote. I like such details. It shows the author has enriched the basic plot with historical details.

The book has clearly been professionally edited. That said, there were a few (very minor) things I disliked that I felt could use some tweaking. For example, the book opens with the present perfect tense before immediately switching to past tense. It sounds really odd but with a little rewording, could be improved. A few ellipses also were not properly spaced. Despite that, from what I could see, the book does appear to be professionally edited. It's a professionally written, professionally edited and presented, complete package that interested me from the first glimpse of the cover. The only reason I am not reading it is that the book review mentioned the ages of the protagonists and that's simply too young to interest me. So, I suppose you could say the review influenced me NOT to read it. That said, it's well written enough I'll recommend it to my teens. I'm sure they'll enjoy it.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 7:18 pm by Laura Lee.

ritah

Based on the cover and genre, I would have sampled the book because it appealed to me (I'm always fascinated by stories that revolve around vampires, paranormal, aliens, etc). I read the official review and sampled Hunted. I liked the description of Angel that even though she had been named after a gentle creature...she was feisty and fiery when need be. I didn't notice any obvious errors in the pages I sampled nor did I see any areas needing change. I will be reading the rest of the book because the plot and writing appealed to me.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 7:02 pm by ritah.

Sarah_Khan

I like the cover and title of this book. I definitely would have picked this up even without the First Ten program because I am a fan of vampire novels. The first ten pages seem to be professionally edited. I really enjoyed the human touches to the vampire world like blood spread on toast and campaigning for Vampire Rights. This book seems really fun. The OBC review was positive, which cemented my decision to continue reading this story. I look forward to reading the rest. I do not have any suggestions for the author.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 5:38 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Gabrielle Sigaki

Hunted by W.J. May and Natasha Brown and Chrissy Peebles and Trina M. Lee and Kristen Middleton and Kaitlyn Da is a novel about a romance between a vampire and a vampire hunter with suspense, crime, and mystery. If I didn't sample the book, I would read it based on its unique plot that changes the meaning of a vampire romance. However, after sampling it, I changed my mind, and I won't read the entire book since I didn't found the protagonist unique or strong. The book seems professionally edited, and I enjoyed the fact that the author built a new topic about a vampire romance making it unique. The book could be improved with a different character development construction to make the characters a bit more realistic and unique too.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 4:52 pm by Gabrielle Sigaki.

Melisa Jane

I would have sampled this book based on its title because it's eye-catching and sounds action-packed. After sampling it, I will finish reading it because I'm curious to find out how David, the narrator's husband-to-be, died during their wedding. I like that great suspense has been created right from the first page of the book. I have no improvement suggestions. I didn't find any grammatical errors while reading. This book has an official OBC review.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 2:14 pm by Melisa Jane.

Maria Esposito

I knew I would not be interested in this book before I sampled it. The main reason is that it belongs to the fantasy genre, which I do not like reading. The title and cover design are typical of this genre also, and they did not catch my interest in the book. Another factor contributing to my initial decision is the lack of Amazon customer reviews. Reading the first ten pages did not make me change my mind. The book with the narration from Edith's perspective, dating back to 1918. She is traversing a body of water in an attempt of reaching Daniel, who seems to be her beloved. She is a vampire who fights for Vampire Rights. Then, the narration switches to the year 2018, when Edith has two adopted daughters, Angel and Hope. I like the authors' writing style, as they shape the narration and dialogues in a natural and simple way. There is nothing about the novel I particularly dislike: I simply do not like reading into this genre. I did not come across errors within the first ten pages, which makes me think that the book has been professionally edited. The novel has an official review on this platform, but this had no impact on my decision.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 2:08 pm by Maria Esposito.

Vickie Noel

I wouldn't have read this book outside the program based on its title and book cover. This is because I don't read vampire stories. The sample did nothing to change my mind. My stomach did some nasty flips when I read, "They made my favorite...tea with...government subsidized blood per cup..." and "Hope nibbled on her piece of wheat toast spread with blood." I will not be reading further. The book is professionally edited although I saw a small error; "government subsidized" in the aforementioned sentence should be hyphenated. I have no other recommendations for improvement. I saw an OBC review, but it didn't influence my decision.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 11:30 am by Vickie Noel.

SweetSourSalty AndSpicy

Vampire stories are not my preference, so I will not sample this book outside the program. The cover did not catch my attention. It did not say much about the story. The models on the book cover looked a bit young as I imagined them. It was like they dressed up in vintage to look like a vampire and hunter. Also, I did not find a connection between the title and the cover. The blurb provided enough information on what to expect from the book. The customer reviews mentioned a different take on vampire stories, which made me curious. However, sampling the first ten pages did not change my mind. I liked that it presented a different take on the classic vampire story. But it was not enough to compel me to finish reading the book. From what I sampled, the editing was neat. I have no other suggestion for improvement. The Official OnlineBookClub review was insightful, but it did not affect my decision. I will skip this one.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 11:29 am by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy.

Theresa Moffitt

I like the title of this book, but the cover art reminds me of a romance novel. I don’t usually enjoy reading romance novels, so I would not have picked this book up based on the cover alone. However, the first ten pages drew me into the story right away. It was different than what I expected when I saw the cover. It involves vampires, so the horror element is intriguing to me. The first ten pages begin in 1918 with a story of Edith who was supposed to be married to Daniel who has died. She wants to kill herself to me with him. However, the next chapter begins with her in present day (2018) with two daughters and she is now a vampire. The first ten pages were interesting and I liked the author’s writing style. I didn’t see any errors, so I believe the book as professionally edited based on the first ten pages. I didn’t see any area that the author could improve upon. The Online Book Club review that I read was also very positive and gave the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars which made me want to finish reading the book. I didn’t read any additional customer reviews, but I didn’t think I needed any additional information about the book. I would like to finish reading the book because I liked the story.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 11:17 am by Theresa Moffitt.

Elvis Best

Looking at the book's cover, I might have read it, as the cover looks nice. Nonetheless, after reading the sample pages, I would not read the rest of this book because I don't enjoy vampire stories or fantasy novels in general. Further, the one thing I liked most was the dialog in the book, as it felt intense, real, and sometimes funny. I do not currently have any suggestions for improvement and believe the book was professionally edited, as I found no errors in the sample. Lastly, I read an Official OnlineBookClub review that presented the book well.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 6:30 am by Elvis Best.

Manang Muyang

I like the title, but don't appreciate the cover much. I also don't fancy vampire stories. I wouldn't have sampled the book outside of First Ten. While the sample was interesting enough, I do not think I will buy the book. As mentioned, I am no vampire fan. The book was an easy read, but I noticed some errors. Three of them are solid words written as two words, like "tip toed" (54% of the sample), "blood sucking" (75% of the sample), and "back up" (92% of the sample). I like the shifting points of view between Edith and Darren; this style allows a better appreciation of the two main characters' personalities. I read the official OBC review which gave a perfect rating. However, I still don't think I will read the book.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 6:24 am by Manang Muyang.

Rodel Barnachea

After I pored over the book's official OBC review and Amazon page, I believe I wouldn't want to read the title. I like the fact that even though the book's plot is simple, the suspense it contains will be enough to keep me engaged. However, I haven't read many stories that are of the fantasy romance genre, so I don't know if I'll like the book. The concept of vampires and them being the primary characters also do not appeal to me. For these reasons, I decided not to purchase the title.

Reading the sample did not change my mind. I wouldn't purchase the book for similar reasons I stated above. Besides, nothing in the sample had me wanting to read the rest of the book. The first ten pages include the first chapter and some pages of the second chapter. It is primarily about a family of vampires recruiting humans at a convention center and a hunter trying to save his brother. What I liked most is reading and learning about the history of vampires, especially the Vampire Human War. I didn't note any errors in the text, so I believe the book is professionally edited. I have nothing to suggest to the author.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 5:41 am by Rodel Barnachea.

Shrabastee Chakraborty

I wasn't thrilled by the cover or the genre. The official OBC review rates it a full 4 stars. Still, I wouldn't have read the book based on the genre. I found two errors in the first ten pages, both at 20% of the excerpt. "19-teens" should have been "1900s." "As normal of a life" should have been "As normal a life." The excerpt described how Edith Dorset, heartbroken by the news of her fiance's demise, wanted to end her life by drowning. A vampire tried to persuade her not to commit suicide. The present day finds Edith as a vampire herself. While the premise was certainly unique and I do love fantasy stories, paranormal romance doesn't attract me. I see no areas of improvement in the excerpt itself, but won't read the book as it is not really my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 3:49 am by Shrabastee Chakraborty.

Lisa A Rayburn

Even if I were not a member of this program, it is entirely likely that the genre, title, and/or cover would have attracted me to this book. Paranormal romance is one of my favorite genres, and the cover and title are intriguing enough to catch my attention. The color scheme, being one associated with vampires, is especially striking. The authors are unknown to me, so that would not have affected my decision. The blurb is quite engaging and introduces both the 'mystery' part of the book and gives hints about the possibilities of romance. There were no customer reviews on the Amazon site, nor was there one from this program. If there had been, I would have been interested in what the reviewer had to say. Given the lack of reviews, I was forced to base my beginning opinion on the book's review on this site and the blurb itself. The reviewer was highly complementary of the book, which only reinforced the positive view I had already formed. I found the characters in the sample to be immediately engaging, especially since it began with Edith's attempted suicide and being 'saved' (Can you really call being turned into a vampire being saved?) by Mr. Heartsong. Her attachment to and protection of her fiancee's family through the next 100 years is touching and speaks much of her character. My favorite scene, in fact, was when she kept young Danny from falling out of the tree, and he thought her to be an angel. I have already purchased the book and continued reading it. I believe I'm presently on Chapter six! The book seemed well-edited. I found no 'countable' errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 1:17 am by Lisa A Rayburn.

Verna Coy

Had I not sampled this book through the First Ten program, I would not have chosen this book because it seems on the dark side to me.
For this reason, I don’t intend to purchase and read the whole book.
Reading the first ten pages confirmed my first impressions of this book. It begins with a suicide of a young lady in her bridal gown.
Based on what I read, the book seems professionally edited, although I noticed a missing comma at location 25 % of the sample, “It was like he never passed [,] and I never became what I am today.”
What I liked most about what I read is how the authors were able to communicate the emotion of the main character in the first scene.
I know that fans of vampire novels will like aspects of this one.
As far as improvements, another round of proofreading for minor errors would be great.
I did read the Official Online Book Club review and found it insightful. It didn’t affect my views of the book.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 1:13 am by Verna Coy.

Kaitlyn Canedy

I likely wouldn't have read the sample of Hunted had it not been the OnlineBookClub's book of the day. The cover is a bit dark, and I knew that this would be a murder book. The contents of the sample did not indicate this, but the official review stated so. Sadly, I will be skipping Hunted because I do not like murder books that much. However, I did notice that there was quite a bit of attention that was brought to the characters. My favorite part of the sample was the backstory regarding Miss Dorset or Mama E as Hope and Angel call her. She clearly has a lot of heartbreak but has to live with it because she is immortal, but I think that this is a great part of her character. I did not find any grammatical errors or anything that needed improvement, and I read the entire sample not just the first ten pages. Readers that enjoy murder books and vampires may want to check this one out.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 1:09 am by Kaitlyn Canedy.

winecellarlibrary

The cover is very professional and eye-catching. I would have been drawn to this book based on the cover alone. The Amazon page lists this book as a horror, which is not a genre I typically read, but the official OBC review portrays it more as a mystery novel laced with a bit of romance.

I noticed quite a few errors in the sample. For instance, at Loc. 96, the word "street" should be capitalized as it is part of the name of a road: "...our main residence was our little apartment on 6th [s]treet four blocks from the rest of the clan." (I would also insert a comma after "street.")

Additionally, the words "government subsidized" should be hyphenated at Loc 108: "They made my favorite Earl Grey tea with three spoonfuls of government[]subsidized blood per cup for taste."

Also, there is an unnecessary apostrophe at Loc. 123: "Our numbers were dwindling since the hunters['] declared their plan to eradicate all vampires..."

These, along with a number of other errors, led me to believe the book was not professionally edited.

My favorite thing about the book is the cover and the synopsis. There wasn't anything that particularly drew my attention in the first ten pages, but I'm going to go with my gut on this one. I'd like to read the whole book because I find the plot refreshing and new for the vampire subgenre. To improve, the authors/publisher should complete another round of editing, as stated above.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 12:45 am by winecellarlibrary.

J_odoyo

Hunted by Sarah Biglow and Molly Zenk is a riveting vampire story that seems to have been well written. The book’s cover page was satisfactorily designed and could easily attract those who love this genre. I think the book’s title was relevant and thought-provoking. I liked the book’s description on the Amazon website; it could allow for an accurate guess of what to expect in the book. Its storyline is gripping and well written. The book also had a positive official OnlineBookClub review, which gave insight into what the book entails. I didn’t find any error, and it would be easy to wager that the book was professionally edited. One can’t help but be engrossed in this wonderful story. Edith Dorset joins her adopted daughters—Hope and Angel—on her hundredth anniversary since becoming a vampire on an annual humans’ recruitment into vampirism. Coincidentally, she meets Dan Paxton, an enthusiastic young man whose name sounds exactly like her late fiancé. The story is promising, and I can’t stop guessing what is next. Having read the sample and the OnlineBookClub review, I’m not going to finish reading this book because I’m not a fan of this genre.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 12:41 am by J_odoyo.

Ari Martinez

If it wasn't for the First Ten program, I would not have sampled this book based on its title, cover, or Official OnlineBookClub review because I am not a fan of books about vampires and I usually don't tend to like books for young adults as much as other books. After reading the first ten pages, I have decided not to read the rest of the book because, even though it was good, it was not captivating enough to make me want to finish it. My favorite part of what I read was the very first paragraph - I loved that it started with such an intense moment. There is nothing I would do to improve it and it seems professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2020, at 12:23 am by Ari Martinez.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I think I would check this book out because I like fantasy and supernatural genre and the romance between Edith and Darren sounds cute. After reading the first ten pages, I spotted a few grammar and punctuation errors. In chapter one, "...instead of separated by war, and, now, death." There are too many commas in this sentence. I think it should be written as "war, and now death," this flows better. What I liked best about the book so far is how the authors were able to incorporate the vampire breed as part of normal society. For example, it's interesting how vampires are treated as second class citizens but there are organizations dedicated to fighting for vampire rights and there are Red Cross blood groups allowing them legal means of obtaining blood. This concept reminds me of animal rights and animal rights organizations like PETA so though vampirism is a supernatural concept, I think it's clever to incorporate their being as a real breed. My only suggestion for improvement is to clear the errors. There was an onlinebookclub review. However, I don't think I will read the rest because I wasn't really hooked by the sample.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 11:20 pm by CrescentMoon.

Aubrey Lewis

The overall appearance of the book is beautiful and quite eye-catching, in my opinion. When I read through the official OBC review, I felt that I wouldn't be able to appreciate the book since I don't usually read romance novels, much less vampire ones. If I weren't a part of this program, I wouldn't have read the sample at all since the book's cover, genres, and summary didn't interest me enough to want to check it out willingly.

When I finished sampling the first ten pages, I decided not to read the rest of the book. The contents seemed professionally edited so far, and I liked the authors' style of writing, especially the alternate perspectives between Edith and Darren. I also liked that this concept of vampires is different from the other stories I've read; it's interesting to know that vampires can die after turning seven humans. I feel like this fact will be a part of the pivotal point in the book.

Unfortunately, although the storyline was intriguing so far, especially after knowing that a human has the same name as Edith's dead fiance, nothing really interested me enough to want to read any further, so I'll have to pass on this one. Since my reason is due to my own personal preference, I don't think there are any improvements the authors need to make.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 11:17 pm by Aubrey Lewis.

MeganDJ

I was instantly drawn to the cover and title, and I probably would have read the rest of the book regardless of the first 10 pages. After reading it though, I discovered that the book is a new take on the vampire genre, which I always enjoy. With that being said, I will definitely read this at some point. I believe it was professionally edited as I did not find a single error during my read. What I liked the most is that it started with a dramatic beginning, where the protagonist is on the edge of ending her life. There is nothing that I would improve upon. I saw an Online Book review, and I believe that the book deserves its 4 out of 4 star rating.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 10:28 pm by MeganDJ.

Kajori Sheryl Paul

'Hunted' is written by W.J. May and Natasha Brown and Chrissy Peebles and Trina M. Lee and Kristen Middleton and Kaitlyn Da. Edith lost the love of her life, Daniel in 1918. She decided to give up her life. Mr. Heartstrong revived her. He turned her into a vampire. In 2018, Edith lives with her two adoptive daughters Hope and Angel. They are all preparing for the much awaited recruitment event. The book is very well-written. It grabs the attention from the first page. I like how the world where both vampires and humans co-exist is created. I found one small error. It should have been “hunters declared..” instead “hunters’ declared..” Apart from this, the book seems to be professionally edited. The title is apt. The cover is pretty. The OBC review and Amazon reviews are amazing. I will give this book a try as I wish to know if Smith’s broken heart is healed.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 10:22 pm by Kajori Sheryl Paul.

Jorge Leon Salazar

In these first pages, the character of Edith Dorset stands out first in 1918 when she is turned into a vampire by Mr. Heartsong. She did it to reunite with her beloved Daniel. Nowadays, Edith is in charge of an event called Live action role play (LARP). There, they offer people who sign up to show them what it is like to be a vampire. Subsequently, the sample focuses on the character Darren, who is a trained vampire hunter; his younger brother Daniel signed up for the LARP.
From what I read in the first ten pages, this vampire story presents a simple and interesting plot. The story is set in a fantasy world with the presence of vampires in the midst of humans. The book mentions aspects about the lives of vampires that raise expectations such as that vampires were considered second-class citizens or monsters. Daniel Paxton's search by his brother Darren seems to be at the center of the development of the plot. In the official review, the book is praised and the plot and Edith and Darren's duality of protagonism are clarified a little more. Although the plot is well raised, it did not capture me completely. In general, the themes associated with vampires are not my favorites. The editing seems outstanding as I didn't encounter any errors or typos. I like the cover as it seems to perfectly evoke a vampire story with a romance included. In conclusion, I think I will not read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 8:55 pm by Jorge Leon Salazar.

MsH2k

I loved watching Dark Shadows on television when I was a kid (dating myself there), but I’m not into vampire tales that much as an adult. I would not have sampled this book if I were not part of this program. The authors did a good job describing the characters and their history. I felt like I got to know Hope, Angel, and Edith. I was grossed out by their using blood in their drinks and as jelly on their toast. The sample pages were interesting and informative; I had to look up what “glamour” meant for vampires. I was a bit confused by the statement about the series: “This is book 1 of 1 in Hunted.” Does that mean there will be more books in the series? This seems like an interesting tale, but I will not buy the book because I am not interested in reading a vampire story.

The book appeared to be professionally edited, but I found one grammatical error in the sample pages. At loc 78, there should be a comma after [had] for clarity:
For me, he was like the father I never had considering my own passed before I was born.

Neither the featured OnlineBookClub review nor any Amazon ratings influenced my decision not to buy this book. A suggestion for improvement would be to clarify if there will be additional books in the series by more plainly stating that this is book 1 in the Hunted series.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 8:22 pm by MsH2k.

Odette Chace

I like the cover of the book. Coincidentally, the female model on the cover looks a bit like Nina Dobrev in "The Vampire Diaries." It's unfortunate that one of the books in the "House of Night" series (another vampire series) is also called "Hunted." I was very confused by the LARP event as it's described in the synopsis on Amazon. Although I typically enjoy vampire novels, the synopsis didn't wow me. There were elements that reminded me of "Supernatural" and "True Blood," but nothing really stuck out as being original. The official Online Book Club review gave the work a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars, but I was even less interested in the book after reading the review. The vampires seem tame. "I'm sure every member of his so called 'family' were the same" (71% of sample). It should be was instead of were and so-called should be hyphenated. There were a couple sentences that I had to reread several times to make sense of, though they were grammatically correct. As I only noticed a couple errors, I believe the work was professionally edited. I found the book to be more interesting than I anticipated. My only criticism from the sample is that the vampires don't seem to act their ages. I'd like to finish reading the book.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 5:09 pm by Odette Chace.

Stephanie Runyon

The title caught my attention and would have been a reason for me to sample this book. I am a fan of the suspense/thriller genre, and the OBC review's description of the character-driven story was another reason for me to sample it. The opening seemed a little dark but I liked the pace and the first-person narration. The suspense built from the name of Dan Paxton was executed perfectly, and I did not find anything I disliked about the story. This appears to be professionally edited and, despite my former distaste for vampire stories, this one drew me in. I will read the remainder of the book as the reviews that I read on Goodreads were encouraging as well.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 4:23 pm by Stephanie Runyon.

Twylla

I will NOT buy and read this book based on the genre (YA) and subject matter (vampires). However, it is a great book for teenage girls. The story really draws you in. I love the idea of live role-playing to determine if you are interested in becoming a vampire.

My favorite thing about the book is the cover. I think the artwork is just beautiful. I also love the way the story starts with the young girl in her wedding gown walking into the water. Very emotional.

The book is well-written. I found a typo and a punctuation error in the first chapter.
Loc 80 For me, he was like the father I never had considering my own [passed] before I was born.
[past] Loc 175 “Sorry [missing a comma] I’m late. Hope I didn’t miss the good stuff.”

The OBC review was very well done. The book has 2 reviews on Amazon. One is 4-star and the other is 5-star. That is a really good start. That would encourage a potential reader. This book should be very popular with the target audience.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 4:20 pm by Twylla.

Kirsi Cultrera

In my opinion, the cover of this book was beautiful and captivating. Unfortunately, vampires as a topic are a total turn-off for me. I have read a few vampire stories before, but I have also always hated the idea of lifeless creatures looking like humans and drinking blood. Therefore, it is highly unlikely I would have read or sampled this book if it wasn’t for the First Ten program. I liked the new idea this book presented: the vampires trying to live peacefully amongst human beings and obtaining their blood legally from the Red Cross Blood Assistance program. However, the scene with one of the younger vampires eating toast spread with blood was already too gross for me. The characters appeared created with devotion, and the writing style was grotesque but humorous, which I would’ve enjoyed if it didn’t include vampires. The book appeared to be more character-driven than plot-driven, which I also always enjoy. The editing seemed skilfully done. The available Official OnlineBookClub review did not change my mind about this book. Despite all the favorable details mentioned above, I am too sensitive to read vampire stories.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 3:39 pm by Kirsi Cultrera.

Laura Ungureanu

I like the color of the cover, but I usually don't pick books with people on the cover. The genre of this book is enough to make me decide against reading it. The OBC review didn't change my decision in that matter, but it masterfully examined the book. Vampires in this book seem to be built the same as in every book and TV series, but I appreciate the fact that the world of vampires seems to be more developed than anywhere else (they have meetings, recruitment tables, and an alliance with humans). This book seems to be a paradise for teenage girls who love everything about vampires. However, I'm not one of them and I don't enjoy these juvenile subjects. The book has a beginning that grasps you, while also showing a human side to the characters, which is ideal for such a book. Therefore, I can't recommend anything that would make it better. Concerning the editing, I never heard of anyone using the phrase "in the early 19-teens and 1960's", so I assume that "19-teens" is not a thing.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 3:05 pm by Laura Ungureanu.

Timothy Rucinski

The Official Review is an accurate representation of the pages that I read, and I enjoyed the cover very much. If perusing in the horror section of a bookstore, I might have picked this up for a look-see. I've read countless vampire books in my time, but since I'm no real fan of those that are thick with romance, the Review wasn't enough, nor the pages I read, to convince me to read any further. Still, the writing style is very engaging, which I enjoyed most about the book. It also appears that the book is well-edited; I personally could find no errors. I have no recommendations for improvement because I know that audiences that enjoy vampire romances will probably eat this up. But it's not for me.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 2:27 pm by Timothy Rucinski.

Emy Katherine

The story follows a vampire (Edith Dorset) and a vampire hunter (Darren Paxton) as they work together to help prove the innocence of Darren's brother, Daniel, after being wrongfully accused of murdering a vampire. I would not have read the book based on the genre. I am not interested in reading fantasy novels, so I did not change my mind after reading the sample and OBC review. However, I liked the story was told from multiple perspectives and particularly enjoyed the realistic, engaging dialogues. The writing style was also pleasant to read. Unfortunately, I would suggest another round of editing; I found some distracting spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors while sampling the book. For example, it should be written "mocha-colored skin" instead of "mocha colored skin." (location 125 of 246 • 51%) It should also be written "was" instead of "were" in the following sentence: "My reason for saying ‘yes’ to Danny’s yapping about the con were twofold." (location 190 of 246 • 77%) There should not be a comma after "booths" in the following sentence: "I moved down the first row of booths, but only found costumed humans." (location 219 of 246 • 89%) It should be written "his so-called 'family'" instead of "his so called 'family.'" (location 190 of 246 • 77%)

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 2:01 pm by Emy Katherine.

LinaJan

The cover of ‘Hunted’ by Sarah Biglow and Molly Zenk promises something ‘unearthly,’ which I have been known to enjoy. Combined with the title, it certainly captures my full attention. Upon reading the official onlinebookclub.org review, I found the premise – Vampires’ rights – to be amusing. Having also had the opportunity to sample ‘Hunted,’ I found it to be pretty suspenseful from the very beginning. I could almost feel what I imagine Darren felt while fighting his way through the crowds in search of his brother. I genuinely felt my breathing shallow. I must commend the authors’ ability to achieve this in their readers so early into the story. The book also seems to be well proofread, except for one aspect. There was one occurrence where the lack of spaces on either side of the em dash in ‘[…] still regarded us as second-class citizens or–worse–monsters after how much we […]’ made it hard to comprehend what is being said in the first instance. It appears that spaces on either side of the em dash are not used throughout the book; however, I only found this one instance that interfered with the flow. I cannot wait to find out what happened to Danny and what brews between Darren and Edith!

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 1:40 pm by LinaJan.

RachelEmmanuel

After reading the first ten pages of "Hunted" by Sarah Biglow and Molly Zenk, I have the following observations. I found the cover very well done and attractive; definitely the kind of book I would pick up and look at. However, after reading the review, the blurb, and the first ten pages, this is not a book I will be reading because I do not like Vampire books and it is against my faith to read them. Based on what I read, the book does seem professionally edited and I could not find any typos. It is not possible to comment on what I liked in the book or what can be improved because I fervently dislike Vampire books in general. The Onlinebookclub review helped me make my decision about not purchasing the book since the cover does not specify that this is a book about Vampires.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 1:35 pm by RachelEmmanuel.

Brenda Creech

Based on the cover and title, I would have checked this book out on my own. However, after reading the official review, I was a little intrigued. I don't read any books about vampires. The same goes for fantasy, magic, or the supernatural. After reading the sample of this book, I knew it wasn't one I would finish. The review reveals there is explicit sexual content; plus, I found one borderline curse word, but no errors. I would say there is not anything that needs improvement. I still don't plan to finish reading the book based on my comments listed earlier.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 1:25 pm by Brenda Creech.

Sanju Lali

The cover and the title indicated to me that this should be a fantasy storybook. I read the official review of this book because I was curious to know about the premise of the story. The official review helped me to understand that this book has a fantasy story that focuses on the romance between a vampire and a vampire hunter. This information intrigued me to read the sample of the book before purchasing it. When I read the first ten pages, I realized that this book is not professionally edited because I found some grammatical errors. For example, the sentence "We could be together forever as planned instead of separated by war and, now, death...". The sentence could have been, "We could be together forever as planned instead of getting separated by war, and now, death...". The thing l liked the most is the somewhat unique concept like the vampires fighting for their rights by allying with humans. My suggestion to the author would be to go for a round of professional editing to make the book easier to read. Considering all these facts, I decided not to purchase and read this book today but wait until the author could help by addressing my suggestion so that I could easily read the book.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 12:56 pm by Sanju Lali.

aacodreanu

Had I not actually sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to sample this book based on the beautiful cover: the story of the couple there can only be exciting, the title, even if it is a bit scary, but I would do it with the hope that whoever is hunted will escape, part of the genre (if I could leave the vampires out), and the Official OnlineBookClub review that I saw, which was conclusive in helping me make up my mind. Sadly, I am not going to buy and read the whole book. Even if I accept the occasional vampire in fantasy and mystery books, this one seems to have too many of them. Reading the first ten pages helped me make up my mind. Based on what I read, the book seems like it needed a bit more editing. Here are one grammar error and a typo that I found, but I cannot give the page numbers because there were no page numbers in the sample:
- This sentence is in the middle of a reporting section that uses the Past Tense: ”Not Daniel - oh, how I wish I could hear his voice one more time!” I think it should have been ”wished” to fit the past time frame.
- „Khmer Rogue” instead of Khmer Rouge.
I like the way the action begins, with a failed suicide, and then the sparkling dialogue between two teenagers. I do not know if there was something to be improved.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 12:40 pm by aacodreanu.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I wouldn’t have read it. Not only am I not a big fan of romance novels, I usually don't read those with a vampire theme to them. After reading the first ten pages I didn’t change my mind and therefore will not be buying and reading the rest of this book. Despite not liking the genre, I did like the unique aspect of a vampire hunter going to a convention and concealing their intentions behind a costume. That being said, I'm just no interested enough in vampire literature to pick this one up. I didn’t see anything specific that I would have wanted to change within the sample that I read, but it did seem well written and edited. The official review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 11:48 am by Scerakor.

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda

The cover of the book is like all the covers in this genre. The blurb explains the plot well, and the book has good ratings, but I usually dismiss all vampire stories. I think it’s a topic that’s been written until exhaustion, and one can hardly find something really original.

I liked the opening line. It is powerful enough to engage even reluctant readers like me. I also like that the authors hint at some political issues, such as when Miss Dorset says: “It was a pity they still regarded us as second-class citizens or–worse–monsters after how much we fought for Vampire Rights with the VHA in the early 19-teens and 1960s.” It’s well thought out that the 60s were a time for civil rights in general, apparently including vampires. I also like the subtle humor, for example, when Edith describes her dressing style as “vintage.” What I didn’t like were the gross details, like the tea mixed with blood. I also find confusing that the authors say, for example: “Mr. Heartsong and I met at a VHA (Vampire Human Alliance) meeting in ’14.” Is that 1914? 1814? It’s hard to tell when supposedly vampires live through centuries. The first ten pages are well written, but not interesting or original enough for me to read the whole book.

I found a couple of missing commas, but we’ve been encouraged to be lenient with comma usage. Other than that, I didn’t find editing mistakes. I would recommend improving the cover and the blurb to show to the readers why they should choose this book among the thousands of vampire stories available on Amazon. The official review didn’t influence my decision.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 11:24 am by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda.

gen_g

Based on the title and cover, it seems like a paranormal mystery, which I am not in the market for; hence, I would not have sampled it. I have also come across a positive OBC review of the book, but this would not have changed my decision not to sample, since this book does not belong to a genre that I am looking for. After sampling, there are a couple of errors present. For example, at 17% in the sample, there is a missing comma before the coordinating conjunction "but" to separate independent clauses: "...at my wedding dress(,) but dirt was the last thing...". I suggest more editing. However, I appreciate that the authors started the story with a bang, as it would help the readers maintain interest. For example, we learn that Edith was turned into a vampire in 1918. She was actually intending to commit suicide by drowning herself in the river on what was supposed to be her wedding day. Daniel, her fiancé, had been killed in war. However, Mr. Heartsong, a vampire she met at a Vampire Human Alliance meeting in 1914, tries to stop her from committing suicide by glamouring her; whilst she still walks into the water, Mr. Heartsong manages to turn her, becoming her sire. However, as I am not in the market for paranormal fiction, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 11:00 am by gen_g.

AntonelaMaria

This book has an interesting premise. I read a lot of paranormal romances but not many with murder mysteries. I liked that there are vampires as protagonists. After reading the sample, I decided not to read the book. Even though the Offical OnlineBookClub review was very intriguing and informative, the sample didn't catch my interest. The past and present time writing give a glimpse of a story, and I am curious what happened to Daniel and how Edith copes with it, and if she discovered what happened to him. But still not enough for me to buy and read the book. I didn't notice any grammar mistakes in the sample. I wouldn't improve anything about the book. Nevertheless, there is confusion about the set of authors listed on OnlineBookClub as authors of this book, which are different than the ones on cover and Amazon.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 10:53 am by AntonelaMaria.

Bertha Jackson

The cover, title, and genre are all attractive to me and I would check this book out because of them. The amazon blurb and customer review were interesting. The OnlineBookClub review makes it sound like the book has more depth to it than normal vampire stories. After reading the first ten pages I added this book to my GTR bookshelf. Although it won’t be at the top of my list because of the other books on this shelf that are more to my taste, I may eventually read it. I like the mystery aspect of Darren infiltrating the vampires to protect his brother. I am curious as to whether he will prevent his brother from becoming a vampire or not. I did find one error on Page 5: Angel [tip toed] to kiss my cheek. (tiptoed), but overall the first ten pages appear to have been edited by a professional. I did not see anything in the first ten pages to improve. They were well-written and flowed smoothly.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2020, at 9:45 am by Bertha Jackson.

Total ~ 27%

Hunted earned a score of 27%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 27% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Hunted