Cover for You Got This!

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for You Got This!: an action plan to calm fear, anxiety, worry, and stress

Because You Got This! was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

Lorraine De Vos

I would have chosen to sample this book based on the title and genre. The sample pages were excellent. The writing style is clear and personable, as the author draws from her own experience and uses this as examples on how anxiety and stress affected her and her family and friends. The book does appear to be professionally edited. The official OnlineBookClub review was excellent and confirmed that I will be adding this book to my reading list. I have no recommendations for improvements.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2020, at 3:59 am by Lorraine De Vos.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Ekta Kumari

This book centers around practical tips and tricks to alleviate stress, worry, and anxiety that almost all of us are subject to. I loved the subject of the book and found the topic to be of great value. I would've read the book even if it wasn't a part of the top ten as I saw the positive review and also liked the cover page and the title. The thing I liked the most while sampling is that the author starts by providing personal life examples. This makes the read more relatable from the reader's perspective. I also found the author's language to be clear-cut and straightforward, which I admire in these kind of self-help books. As for the editing, I found two errors in the portion sampled. One error is in this sentence, "His father was a private pilot and flew a small private plane for business trips so Lewis had the opportunity to begin experiencing flying from his infancy." I think there should be a comma before 'so'. I have no other recommendations for improvements. I did see an official review before sampling. And I'll read the whole book as I find it useful for me.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2020, at 3:59 am by Ekta Kumari.

va2016

The cover and the title are indicative of the theme of the book. There are only 4 Amazon customer ratings, which is not a sufficient number for me to decide if I should sample the book or not. The Amazon summary is short and up to the point, which mentions about how the book will address topics related to 'Cognitive Behavioral Therapy' (CBT). Since I am interested in this topic, I would have sampled the book even if not for the First Ten program. As I sampled through the book, I found the narration describing how chronic fear, anxiety, and stress can be addressed, along with three examples. As I am interested in the this topic, I am going to read this book in full. I found the sample professionally edited. There were no grammatical or mechanical errors. What I liked most about the book is its theme. I don't have any recommendations for the improvement of the book. Although I found one OBC review of the book, my decision to read the book in full is based on my own sampling.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2020, at 3:59 am by va2016.

Howlan

The cover looks good. The synopsis gives us a general introduction to this book, and has many reviews and another short summary. The first ten pages introduce the narrator and her husband Lewis. The first story is about Lewis when he was a teenager and had a brush with death as he rode his plane up a cliff. The second story is about the narrator dreading to make appointment calls when she was the secretary of her church. The third story is about the narrator's anxiety filled days when the money was tight and her family had to survive on granola. Then, the narrator gives us some explanations on anxiety. The narration is fluent and easy to understand. But I am not going to read the rest of this book as I do not enjoy reading self help books. I prefer books which has a structured plot surrounding a mystery. So I am not going to finish reading this book as the content of this book does ot interest me. No typos were found in the first ten pages. I found nothing to improve in the first ten pages. The Official Review is present, and the reviewer rates it highly.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2020, at 3:05 am by Howlan.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Fu Zaila

The cover and the official review are pretty encouraging. Just like the review stated, I didn't find any errors in the writing, so it seems to be edited professionally. I like how the author included worksheet and easy reference pages to make the book more accessible and user-friendly. The book seems to focus on a lot of medical and scientific terms to convey its ideas, which I wasn't fond of. Either way, I won't be reading further as I don't have any anxiety issues.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2020, at 2:11 am by Fu Zaila.

Jeremie Mondejar

The cover photo looks stunning and gorgeous. Though I'm quite picky when in terms of self-help books, I want to read this book because the Amazon blurb piques my curiosity. I'm also experiencing anxiety, stress and depress; this book will eventually help me in coping with those negative thoughts. I like the easy-to-read writing style as well as its format. The topic is well-written in a convincing tone, which I like the most. I'm glad for the free copy of the book. The OBC review influences my decision, too. I didn't notice any typos while reading the first ten pages, and I decided to read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2020, at 1:46 am by Jeremie Mondejar.

Aditi Sapate

I would have chosen to read this book based on the title, cover and genre, as I usually do prefer reading non-fiction, informative books. The official OnlineBookClub review gave me a brief overview of the book. When I started reading it, I couldn't really connect to the first story about the author's husband. However, I found the author's personal story of anxiety while making phone calls to be very relatable. I will continue reading this book. The sample did not contain any grammatical errors as far as I read it. So far, I didn't find anything to particularly dislike about the book.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2020, at 1:35 am by Aditi Sapate.

Annelore Trujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb, OBC review, cover and title. I don’t read non-fiction, and I don’t have the need for a book about calming anxieties. After reading the first ten pages, I won’t be finishing this book. I liked the anecdotes in the first chapter. The one about the near death experience during the plane ride was exciting. However, this wasn’t enough to pull me in, and I lost interest once it got to the information parts because it was information I already know. For improvement, I would suggest an about the author section or a statement about the author’s credentials. I couldn’t find this information. The book did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2020, at 1:02 am by Annelore Trujillo.

Kaitlyn Canedy

I likely would have read this book even if it was not the OnlineBookClub's book of the day. Anxiety is something that I have been struggling with this year, and I am looking to get all of the help that I can get. What is great about You Got This! is that the stories that the author uses are all real, and she describes them in a way that helps them become relatable to the reader. I love the way that the author tells her stories and gives advice, so I will be reading this book. There were no grammatical errors that I could find, and I cannot think of any improvements to make this book better. There is an official OnlineBookClub review for this book, and reading this review made me more excited to read You Got This!. If a reader is looking for help with general anxiety, then this is a book that they do not want to skip.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 11:25 pm by Kaitlyn Canedy.

Sou Hi

The cover looks encouraging with the woman's pose, matching with the title. Even though it doesn't have many responses from Amazon's customers, the official review and the summary seem good. Since the topic is about tips and tricks to find peace, it piques my interest. The copy begins with three practical examples of fear triggers. The author then starts to explain the causes and effects of fear and anxiety, as well as the autonomic nervous systems.

I like the book's subject and the charts included in it. These illustrations help me understand the issues better, as they are simple and informative. The author's points are also concise and systematic. The editing is good, too. This book will be a useful remedy for those who want to keep calm and avoid being overstressed. As the author states, a little arousal will enhance performances. But if it passes the allowed point, it will backfire. I would like to find out more about the author's methods, so I intend to buy this. However, I notice that some of the sentences are quite long without commas, making them complicated and hard to follow. I think it would be better if those are fixed.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 10:41 pm by Sou Hi.

moowshiri

I would have given this book a try even had I not been part of this program based on its title. On sampling its first ten pages, I loved the fact that Bjor uses three personal stories as examples in bringing out the various events that can trigger fear, anxiety, worry, and/or stress. They helped me understand her ideas conclusively. I also found the stories captivating. For instance, Ron and Lewis' flight into the canyons was quite a thriller. Consequently, I'll read the book to its very end. There are no errors in the few pages I sampled; therefore, no improvements are required. There's also an official review from OnlineBookClub for the book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 9:26 pm by moowshiri.

Mbrooks2518

This is not the type of book I normally read, so I would not have read the sample without The First Ten. The official review did pique my interest a bit. However, I am not interested enough to read the rest of the book.

I did like the easy writing style and tone which drew me into the stories the author was sharing as examples of stressful situations. I did not find any editing errors, and nothing needs to be improved.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 9:25 pm by Mbrooks2518.

Juliana_Isabella

I wouldn't have chosen this book because I don't usually read nonfiction. Even though the review I read was positive, it didn't make me want to read the book because I don't think it would help me personally. I didn't find any errors in the first ten pages, and I appreciated how the author used personal examples to explain the effects of anxiety on our lives. However, I don't think this author is more qualified to give advice about anxiety than the many doctors who have written books, so I don't plan to finish this book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 8:28 pm by Juliana_Isabella.

Chelsy Scherba

I like that the author provided a variety of examples for stressful situations. Lewis was a young pilot who foolishly hoped to impress his friend, Ron. He ended up flying through a canyon which could have been fatal. I truly related to the woman who hated making phone calls. I struggle with that myself, so I’m curious to see if the author has any tips to overcome that issue. I don’t see any errors that suggests that the book didn’t get professionally edited. I like the cover image. The model looks confident. I also love the title. I like self help books, but I don’t generally search for them online. If I saw it in a store, it would catch my eye. I’ll read my free copy because the review mentioned the book is designed to help you cope with stressful situations. I could use that right now.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 6:43 pm by Chelsy Scherba.

aacodreanu

Had I not actually sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read or sample this book based on the cover (the image of the girl - possibly the author - is very positive without imposing on the viewer), the title – short and to the point, maybe the genre, (I am not a big fan of handbooks of any kind), and the Official OnlineBookClub review that I saw, which gave me useful information as to how the author goes about training people to control their negative feelings. I am not going to buy and read the whole book, even if I think I should. Age has made me a bit lazy: I would rather be as I am, suffer from anxiety and stress than set about training myself in an organized manner. Reading the first ten pages did not change my mind from my original guess, the book will be effective for many, even if I chose not to use it. Based on what I read, the book seems like it was professionally edited. I like the very adequate examples of people suffering fom the feelings the book sets to help sufferers get control of, and I like the straightforward style and organized way of approaching matters.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 4:38 pm by aacodreanu.

Vickie Noel

I love the catchy title of this book, and the cover supports the book's message. I would have perused it outside the First Ten programme. My opinion didn't change after reading the sample. I appreciated the analysis of fear, especially as the author defined and differentiated between fear, panic and anxiety. I also liked the pictorial representations and graphs used to illustrate the different levels of stressors and coping mechanisms. I certainly want to be in the 3rd group with coping skills greater than stressors because that equals peace. I think the book still needs editing work, though; I noticed some errors. Many sentences have double spaces in between words. Also, one of the subheadings reads, "Difference causes of fear" instead of "Different causes of fear." I recommend the removal of these errors so that the book can be a total masterpiece. I saw an OBC review which didn't stimulate my interest, but the sample has succeeded in changing that.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 4:09 pm by Vickie Noel.

Laura Lee

I'm definitely going to finish reading this book. I'm thankful for this program to bring it to my attention. Although the Amazon blurb is well-written and the cover is interesting, it was the description in the book review that convinced me this was a book I wanted to try. There was honestly nothing in the pages I read that I thought could be improved upon, but a lot that I liked. First, it was exceptionally well-edited. I did not find a single typo or grammatical mistake in the first 10 pages. I also like the fact that the book actually includes cognitive behavioral therapy for some practical tips on how to deal with anxiety and stress. This isn't just a pep-talk kind of book; it includes practical advise. Finally, I enjoyed the author's descriptive style of writing. There wasn't superfluous words, but it was still descriptive. The stories she shared had my OWN stomach clenching at what could have happened! She writes clearly in an easy to understand style. I'm definitely going to finish reading this well-written, professionally edited book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 3:48 pm by Laura Lee.

Elvis Best

Considering the book's cover, I may have read it, as the cover looks attractive. However, after reading the sample, I would not read the rest of this book because I'm not interested in its subject matter, which is related to stress and anxiety. Also, since I did not find any errors in the sample, I can say that it was professionally edited. The one thing I liked most was the author's easy-to-read, clear writing. Further, I have no suggestions for improvement. Lastly, I read an Official OnlineBookClub review that gave a great overview of the book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 3:39 pm by Elvis Best.

AvidBibliophile

The cover art feels inspirational, approachable, optimistic, and professionally formatted. The Amazon product description entices prospective readers with mentions of cognitive behavioral therapy tips and tricks that can be used to help calm feelings of fear and anxiety, especially once they've begun to trigger notable, health-related complications. The included personal stories fill the first ten pages with relatable scenarios about flying and phone calls, but I'm also glad to hear that illustrations, charts, breathing techniques, and recommended journaling activities appear in later pages. This book appears to have been professionally edited. The one published OBC review is persuasively positive, and the four currently posted Amazon user ratings award this title a perfect score. The promotional YouTube video offers an additionally uplifting component. This action plan would likely benefit any reader seeking to decrease stressors while developing better coping skills! Since my focus as a psychiatrist is on solidifying a healthy mind-body connection, I am interested to see how this easy-to-read manual will aim to help the average person approach and overcome feelings of anxiety.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 3:18 pm by AvidBibliophile.

ritah

Based on the cover and genre, I would have sampled the book out of curiosity. I read the official review and sampled You Got This. It made sense that the book received a 4-star rating (if the first few pages are anything to go by), I actually ended up reading way past the first ten. I loved how intense the plane ride was, I feared Lewis and Ron wouldn't make it out alive while maintaining hope they would. I was relieved they lived to share the tale. I didn't encounter any errors or areas needing improvement. This is a book I'm excited to read more of because I feel that it's well written and may have valuable advice.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 2:52 pm by ritah.

Kajori Sheryl Paul

'You Got This!' is a non-fiction book by Linda Bjork. The book outlines various ways to overcome fear, stress, anxiety, and worry. It aims to help the reader live a happy life. I like the way the author includes examples from real life. The first example was a story from the life of her husband, Lewis. This adds credibility to the book. I did not find any error. It seems to be professionally edited. The title and cover are both uplifting. The OBC review and the Amazon reviews are detailed. I will give this book a skip as I am not in the mind-frame to read a book of this genre as of now.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 11:48 am by Kajori Sheryl Paul.

Melisa Jane

I wouldn't have sampled this book based on its title because I'm not into self-help books. For the same reason, I won't finish reading it even after sampling it. I like that the author includes real-life stories to help the readers understand how anxiety and stress disorders can affect the lives of individuals. I think the introductory part was too short. The author introduced the case studies too soon without explaining what these disorders are, and how to deal with them. Lengthening the introduction will familiarize the readers with the book's contents. I didn't find any grammatical errors while reading. This book has an official OBC review.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 11:24 am by Melisa Jane.

Iva Stoyanova

Based on the title and the cover, I would have probably chosen to sample and read the book, if I wasn’t part of this program. They caught my attention. Also, the official review was very informative, and I got a good idea of the book as a whole. I haven’t read many self-help books, but I believe I would enjoy this one. It sounded very helpful and inspiring from the reviews. I will probably read the whole book. It includes advice, techniques, and stories that I think are relevant to me. For example, mindfulness, breathing techniques, and meditation are some of the topics in the book that I am personally interested in. Reading the first ten pages didn’t change my mind. They are a nice introduction to the book.

Based on the pages I read, I think the book is professionally edited. The thing I liked most was that the book starts with an introduction, which gradually immerses the reader in the book. It starts with some real-life experiences which makes the book more relatable. I am sure the book would be a helpful tool for many readers. I don’t think the book needs any kind of improvement.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 11:00 am by Iva Stoyanova.

gen_g

Based on the title and cover, it seems like a non-fiction/motivational book, which I am not in the market for; hence, I would not have sampled it. I have also come across a positive OBC review of the book, but this would not have changed my decision not to sample, since this book does not belong to a genre that I am looking for. After sampling, there are a couple of errors present. For example, at loc 21, there is a missing comma to mark an introductory clause: "In this book(,) we're going to...". I suggest more editing. However, I appreciate the the author included 3 examples in the introduction to show how life and certain events in life can trigger mental stress, anxiety, etc. For example, we learn that her husband Lewis is an avid pilot, and when he was young, he flew a plane with his friend Ron as a passenger. In a bid to impress Ron, Lewis decided to fly around the mountain range, and nearly got themselves killed due to the cloud cover, which impeded visibility of the mountain ranges and cliffs around them. However, they had a miraculous escape when Lewis had slowed the plane down enough to be able to turn cleanly and make an escape via the canyon walls. However, as I am not in the market for self-help books, I will not be reading the rest of it.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 10:57 am by gen_g.

Sanju Lali

I could not guess anything from the cover and the title of this book because "You Got This” meant many things to me. Therefore, I read the official review of this book as I was keen on knowing the contents of this book. The official review helped me to understand that the book attempts to help readers with practical plans to combat anxiety, fear, worry, and stress. This information encouraged me to read the sample of the book before purchasing it. When I read the first ten pages, I realized that this book is professionally edited because I did not find any grammatical or typing errors. The thing l liked the most is the nice formatting and the writing style, which is easy to read. Unfortunately, I was unable to decipher what message the author wanted to convey to the reader through the three examples given at the beginning of the book. I could not make out anything from the near-miss example or the dreaded phone calls example. My suggestion to the author would be to give some hints before giving examples so that the readers like me can know what to expect from these examples. Considering all these facts, I decided not to purchase and read this book today. I wait until the author could help by addressing my suggestion so that reading this book could be rewarding for me.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 10:41 am by Sanju Lali.

Rodel Barnachea

Upon reading its official OBC review and Amazon page, I am convinced that I will benefit from reading this book. Even though I am not diagnosed with any anxiety disorder, nor do I suffer from panic attacks, I believe the tools included in the title will be a considerable help to me. I also liked what the author said, which is that we are "experts on ourselves" and that we only need to know "how to access and apply these tools." Moreover, the simple language employed makes it an easy read, and its structure assists the readers to smoothly pore over the work. For these reasons, I will purchase the book.

After I have read the sample, I will still purchase the book for similar reasons I stated in the first paragraph. Moreover, I found myself engaged in the text, and nothing in the sample dismayed me. The sample incorporates three scenarios where stress, anxiety, worry, or fear are demonstrated and essentially talks about the definition and nature of those subjects (stress, anxiety, worry, and fear). My favorite part is the "Near miss" story, for even if it is anxiety-inducing, it ended on a positive note. Also, it reminds me that even though my anxiety is at an all-time high (at times), it isn't the end of the world and that I will be able to endure these challenges that I am facing. I didn't note any errors in the text, so I believe the book is professionally edited. I have nothing to suggest to the author.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 8:46 am by Rodel Barnachea.

Maria Esposito

I will not be reading this book right now because I am taking a break from non-fiction. However, I will save it on my to-read list for later. I want to point out that, although the book is advertised as being free on OBC.org, it is not for free in my location (Italy) and I would have to pay EUR 6,19. I like everything about this book's presentation, especially the title. The blurb is explicative, straightforward, and adequate. The number of Amazon customer reviews did not really have an impact on my decision. Reading the first ten pages did not change my decision of saving the book for later. I loved reading the first ten pages, especially the real-life examples from the author and her husband's lives. The close-to-tragedy experience of the author's pilot husband kept me glued to the chair - and this isn't even a fictional story. The author's writing style is exquisite and captivating, and the book seems professionally edited. There was nothing about it I disliked. Hence, while I will not be buying it right now, I will surely save it for later. The book has an official review on OBC.org, but this had no impact on my decision.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 6:12 am by Maria Esposito.

elisathelvarik

I think I would have chosen this book based on its title, cover, and description. Even though I don't usually buy self-help books, I love books that address fear, anxiety, and stress. This book ticks all my requirements and has a friendly face on the cover. I also love the fact that the description says that this book is a "thoroughly researched, easy-to-read, well-designed action plan." This speaks to me on a personal level. The official review also reinforced my good feeling about this book. The official OnlineBookClub.org review says that this novel actually had an impact on the reviewer's life. My one problem with self-help books is that they usually claim knowledge but have no room for actual application of said knowledge. I appreciate a novel that has a practical use or solution to a problem. After reading the first ten pages, I will finish the rest of the book. The personal stories were engaging and intriguing. The first story about the author's husband's brush with death is incredible. At first, I thought the tone at the beginning was too factual and cold, but as soon as the author got into stories, the book was much more palatable. The author seems like a knowledgeable writer with her mix of detailed storytelling and facts. I do wish there were a bit less stories from the beginning. I would have appreciated more of an introduction than a paragraph and three example stories. I did not find any errors or typos. This book seems well-edited.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 3:31 am by elisathelvarik.

xsquare

This genre doesn’t usually interest me, and unfortunately, the title and cover are not interesting enough to catch my attention. I wouldn’t have sampled the book had it not been part of the First Ten program, even though the official OBC review rates the book highly. In the first ten pages, I really liked the examples used – I thought the first example of the flight was particularly gripping and exciting. However, I didn’t really like the listing technique used in the second paragraph of the book: after a while, I became desensitised to the different symptoms listed. It would have been better if the author had used alternative sources of information to supplement this section, such as statistics. Even examples of scientific studies that show the link between stress and these symptoms could be used as well. I did not see any typos in the first ten pages. I won’t be reading the rest of the book as it’s not really my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 3:18 am by xsquare.

Alice Heritage

I might have sampled this on the basis of the title and subtitle as I like motivational books. I was less sure after reading the Amazon blurb as there seems to be an emphasis on cognitive behavioural therapy, which is not always a good fit for me. Having sampled the book, I probably won't read the rest of it any time soon as I didn't see anything I didn't already know about stress reduction techniques. This work may not have been professionally edited as I noticed two errors in the sample. On the first page, the title "You Got This" appears in running text in both italics and quotes, where italics alone would have sufficed. Also, the exclamation mark that appears in the title is missing. This is a comma splice: "He understood the technical balance of the plane's limitations, by flying slower he could optimize the plane's rate of climb ..." - stronger punctuation is needed before "by flying". I liked the examples the author gave of anxiety and fear in her everyday life. The anticipation of the phone calls that built up for days was relatable as well as the struggle to make ends meet. The story about her husband flying, while exciting, wasn't so relatable as flying a private jet isn't an everyday experience, so maybe that's something that could be improved. The OBC review didn't add any value and did not seem to reflect careful reading; my decision was based on the sample.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 2:39 am by Alice Heritage.

Shrabastee Chakraborty

I didn't find the cover or the blurb particularly appealing. The official OBC review rates this book a full 4 stars. After reading the review, I was inclined to read the book, though. The first ten pages were without editing issues. The author briefly states the ill effects of anxiety on our health and promises a few techniques that will help in alleviating these stressful situations. Next, she starts with three real-life stories. The first one deals with a teenager pilot who wants to impress his friend. The content seemed useful but I didn't like the slow pace of the book. This aspect could have been improved. However, I find the topic pertinent, so will be reading the book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 2:37 am by Shrabastee Chakraborty.

Ari Martinez

If I had not sampled this book as part of the First Ten program, I would not have chosen to sample it on my own because it is clear based on the title, cover, and Official OnlineBookClub review that this is a self-help book, and I am not fond of reading self-help books. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be reading the rest of the book because not only am I not interested in reading self-help books, but I do not suffer from any type of anxiety or stress disorder. The book does seem professionally edited. My favorite part of the book was, not the reading itself, but the generous spacing between the lines and the fact that in the first sentence it states the book is easy-to-read and it keeps that promise. The book really is very easy to read (or at least the first ten pages are) which is great for readers suffering from anxiety because a difficult-to-read book can be another source of anxiety. Furthermore, I feel like the generous spacing helps the reader not feel overwhelmed, and it is a nice visual way of calming the reader by not having too many words on a page. I have not seen any other self-help book I've sampled do this so I'm impressed. I do not think what I read can be improved.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 1:02 am by Ari Martinez.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I wouldn't pick this book up because I personally don't have much trouble dealing with anxiety and stress. I also don't usually enjoy reading self help books so I'm not the target audience for this book. After reading the first ten pages, I didn't see any spelling or grammar errors and the book appears professionally edited so far. What I liked best about the book so far was the systematic way the author introduced the subject of anxiety and stress. For example, in chapter one, I really like how she explained how chronic fear and anxiety and worry can greatly diminish the quality of a person's life, not just emotionally but also physically manifesting as poor sleep, heart problems, gastrointestinal problems, etc. Then she explains how she will use the book to convey tips and tricks for the reader to deal with their anxiety and alleviate their stress, and then she provides examples that trigger these negative emotions. I thought her husband Lewis's pilot story and brush with death was definitely a very well-defined situation that can trigger fear and anxiety and this was an excellent example to use. I do not have any suggestions for improvement. There was an onlinebookclub review, but I'm not the target audience for this so I won't be reading the rest.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2020, at 12:04 am by CrescentMoon.

MeganDJ

The title, cover picture and the blurb all begged me to read this book, and I would have wanted to regardless of the first 10 pages. Anxiety, stress and worry are universal states of being and no one person can ever escape it, so learning effective ways to manage such feelings is critical. I will definitely be reading the rest of this book as I could do with some effective ways to handle stress at the moment. From what I read, I believe it was well edited as I did not find a single error during my read. What I liked the most was the authors simple style of writing, and how you never felt incompetent about the material that you were reading. There is nothing that I would improve upon. I saw an Online Book Review, and I believe that this book deserves its 4 out of 4 stars.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 11:29 pm by MeganDJ.

Mutai Marshal

Fear and anxiety deprive us the ability to enjoy life to the optimum. It means that they pose significant harm to health. This book tries to figure out the means to increase coping skills toward fear, stress, worry and anxiety. I loved most the simple language deployed by the author. It makes the message fathomable. The intriguing book title piqued my interest in this book, and I would have read it without sampling. This is because it hinted on a genre I love dearly. The brilliant review by OBC and sample also further invigorated my desire in the book. Having sampled the first ten pages, I will buy it since I enjoy reading self-help books. It's everyone's wish that they may conquer all fears and insecurities. It was exceptionally edited, and I have no suggestions worth improving.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 10:52 pm by Mutai Marshal.

SweetSourSalty AndSpicy

I will not sample the book outside the program because self-help books are not my preference. The cover was not eye-catching enough. The girl on the book cover gave the impression that the target audience was female readers. Probably using a non-gender-specific picture might help. The main title did not say much about the book content. But this was compensated by the subtitle. The blurb, editorial, and customer reviews were all enthusiastic. However, I wanted to know if this book had something different to offer. There had been several materials with similar topics. After sampling the first ten pages, the book seemed promising. I liked the steady flow of discussion because of the simple and straightforward language used by the author. Technical terms were explained comprehensively and concisely and supported by illustrations. I did find some editing errors. Here is an example from Location 156. “[Difference] causes of fear.” I think it should be “[Different] causes of fear.” I have no other suggestions aside from anything mentioned above. The Official OnlineBookClub review was informative. It made me reconsider to keep this book in mind for future reading. But I will pass for now.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 10:41 pm by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy.

Jsovermyer

The cover picture and book title are eye-catching and appealing. I would buy this book from the cover alone. The official reviewer liked this book. I found no spelling or grammatical errors and believe it has been professionally edited. I like that the book has actual exercises to try to help ease your stress. I also liked the part about how the "fight or flight" and "rest and digest" responses affect your body functions. I did not find anything that was uninteresting or that I disliked. I would like to finish this book and try the exercises. I have been very stressed lately and feel I could benefit from this book.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 10:37 pm by Jsovermyer.

Odette Chace

I don't like the title. The cover is alright. I like the expression of the model. The synopsis on Amazon did not interest me. I have been through years of therapy and didn't see anything that made me think this book would tell me something I don't already know. The official Online Book Club review gave the work a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. However, the reviewer noted that she learned about breathing techniques and journaling. Both of those practices are recommended constantly, which makes me think that the reviewer was not very educated on this subject before reading the book. I'm still not excited about the book and wouldn't sample it if I weren't part of this program. "In this book[,] we're going to discuss ways to decrease our stressors and increase our coping skills" (loc. 21). It should be strengthen instead of increase. I noticed several other errors in the sample and don't believe the work was professionally edited. Nothing was particularly good or bad about the sample (aside from the errors). However, it was very hard for me to focus on reading and not skim because I was already familiar with the information presented. I would rather simply visit a therapist than read the rest of this book. Therefore, I don't plan to finish reading it.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 9:23 pm by Odette Chace.

winecellarlibrary

I would not have sampled this book outside the First Ten program because the cover and title clearly portray this book as a self-help book. I am not a fan of the genre. The official OBC review was highly complimentary, but it did not sway my opinion.

I found quite a few errors with punctuation in the sample pages. The most glaring errors were comma splices. A couple examples are listed below:

"He understood the technical balance of the plane's limitations, by flying slower he could optimize the plane's rate of climb, but if he slowed too much the plane would stall meaning the wings would lose their power of lift..." (Loc. 64)

A colon or semi-colon would be appropriate after the word "limitations" in place of the comma splice. Commas are missing after "slower," "much," and "stall."

"'We're dead,' Lewis thought as he watched the altimeter just passing 8000 feet, breaks in the clouds were less frequent and he had no idea exactly where they were." (Loc. 74)

A period after "feet" would be most appropriate to break up the sentences, but, alternatively, a semi-colon could be used. A comma is missing after "frequent."

I liked the tale about Lewis and Ron in the plane. My husband is a helicopter pilot, and one of his coworkers has been giving me fixed-wing flight lessons, so I was able to relate to the utter hopelessness you feel in the clouds. I would recommend another round of editing with an experienced editor in order to catch the punctuational errors in the book.

Because I have not changed my mind after reading the sample pages, I will not be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 8:14 pm by winecellarlibrary.

Wy_Bertram

I would not have picked this book up outside the program because the issues raised do not apply to me at the moment.

No I will not be reading the entire book. I typically fault towards fiction, and self-help, specifically, is far out of my orbit. You Got This! offers material that would be most valuable to readers who relate to its content.

I did not find any errors in this sample.

I liked the examples the author offered. They served humanise her message, making it more relatable. Plus, she has a knack for storytelling as well. As for improvements, I feel like the introduction was simply overloaded with information. I think there'd be a more delicate way to reveal the possible health complications that stem from stress and anxiety.

An onlinebookclub reviewer gave this book a perfect rating.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 7:26 pm by Wy_Bertram.

Mallory Porshnev

The cheesy cover and title of this book did not appeal to me. I normally don't enjoy self-help books anyway. Even though the OBC review gave it an excellent rating, I still wasn't interested. I sampled the first ten pages and didn't find any errors. It seems professionally edited. I liked that it started out with personal stories from the author and her family of situations that cause fear. However, I won't be reading this book as I don't enjoy the genre and feel it holds no value for me.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 6:53 pm by Mallory Porshnev.

MsH2k

I like the title of this book, and the woman on the cover seems friendly and confident. After reading the blurb, I would not have sampled this book because I am not interested in another book on dealing with anxiety. The subject is quite relevant, but I have recently read two books on natural remedies for anxiety and depression, and I am taking a break from these books for a while. The sample pages were engaging. The author has a friendly style, and the first story was told well. This book seems to be a helpful guide. The featured OnlineBookClub review was positive, and I noticed four positive ratings on Amazon, but neither of these factors influenced my decision not to finish this book.

The read seems professionally edited; however, I found one minor error in the pages I sampled. At loc 83, [was] should be [were]: “it also meant that the plane could turn much tighter than it could if it was going faster.” I have no suggestions for improvement.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 6:22 pm by MsH2k.

Verna Coy

Had I not sampled this book through the First Ten program, I would have picked it up because the title is encouraging.
For this reason, I intend to read the whole book.
Reading the first ten pages confirmed that this book would not be boring for me. The first section gives a great example of stressful situations.
Based on what I read, the book seems professionally edited.
I didn’t see errors in the first ten pages.
What I liked most about what I read is how the author keeps the writing style encouraging and keeps up a great commentary for the reader.
I know that people needing some extra help with dealing with stress will like aspects about this book.
As far as improvements, I could see no need for any in what I read today.
I did read the Official Online Book Club review and found it insightful. It didn’t affect my views of the book.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 6:09 pm by Verna Coy.

Jorge Leon Salazar

From the beginning the goal of the book is clear; it proposes a practical plan to combat fear, anxiety, worry, and stress. It is well structured and contains a variety of behavioral therapy tips. The author mentions several cases that are striking, such as when her husband Lewis was about to crash a plane he was piloting. At that time, he was only 18 years old.
The book encompasses a practical and pedagogical approach. In these first ten pages, concepts associated with fears and emotions are explained. Some learnings seem important to me such as that stress, fear, worry, and anxiety are good until a certain point (the arousal or alertness state). Indeed, it increases the performance of the activities that one is being carried out. I considered the explanations based on Yerkers-Dotson Law interesting. Although they are specialized concepts, they are explained and referenced, in such a way that they can be understood by anyone who is not a specialist in that field.
I believe the topic discussed is of the utmost importance, and the plan that the author offers us can be valuable to combat those aforementioned menaces. The official review emphasizes the utility of the proposed plan. The edition is remarkable as I only noticed an indentation detail at location 22 in the last two lines. The cover is simple but adequate. In summary, I decided to read the rest of this book. I believe that the author's plan and the concepts included will be very useful.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 5:11 pm by Jorge Leon Salazar.

Lisa A Rayburn

If I had not been a member of this program, it is highly unlikely that the cover, title, genre, or author of this book would have prompted me to pick it up. The self-help genre is not one in which I typically have an interest, so chances are high that I would never even have encountered the book. If I had, the sub-title might have caught my attention as depression and anxiety are things that I experience. The cover and title make the book seem more of a motivational tool than a self-help book. The author is unknown to me, so that would not have affected my decision. The blurb successfully outlined what was going to be discussed in the book and had several snippets from positive reviews embedded within it, including one from this program. There was one other customer review, which was also positive. This gave me a good impression of going into the sample. Being from a family in which several of us experience panic attacks, I like that the author started with personal stories filled with anxiety and fear, it immediately built a feeling of "we're in this together." I also appreciate the author's attempt to give us tools and teaching us how to make plans that will help us cope with anxieties/fears/panic attacks. However, I had two problems. First, both Lewis and the author were facing specific problems in the 'stories,' nothing amorphous or inexplicable. That's not the case with many panic attacks...they can be brought on by triggers the person isn't even aware of. Will her steps and plans help with something amorphous like that? The second problem is (to me) that the book seems to be presented as a 'sure cure.' I can't see that being true. Even one-on-one therapy can't do that. I think she needs to re-state her expectations to be more achievable/realistic instead of saying the steps in the book can help you get rid of the fear, etc. It's just not that simple. As we have been given this book for free (thank you), it is possible that sometime in the future I might read it. As of now, however, I do not plan to. The book seemed well-edited. I found no 'countable' errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 4:55 pm by Lisa A Rayburn.

Laura Ungureanu

This cover didn't impress me at all, making me dismiss this book from the start. The genre is one that I try to avoid at all costs. The OBC review was detailed and easy to comprehend, making me somehow curious about this book. I am pleased that I read the first pages because of this program. First of all, I loved the image of the cherry branch. The first story was about the author's husband, named Lewis. At 18, with an experience of one year as a pilot, he tried to impress his friend by doing something dangerous that almost got them killed. That story was captivating, drawing me fully into the book. I liked how the author expressed her ideas and her writing style. There is nothing I would change in this book and the editing is flawless. Although I don't like self-help at all, the sample really made me want to keep going, so I'm excited about reading more of this book.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 4:19 pm by Laura Ungureanu.

Emy Katherine

In all honesty, I would not have read the book based on the genre. I am not fond of non-fiction books; therefore, reading both the OBC review and the first ten pages did nothing to change my mind. With her book, the author wants to help you change your life for the better by offering precious tips and techniques to teach you how to manage anxiety, fear, and stress. I appreciated the author's writing style; it was expository and easy to read. I also liked the author's choice to provide simple illustrations, making the book more engaging to read. The only thing I disliked, unfortunately, was that I noticed many punctuation errors that distracted me from my reading. For example, there should not be a comma after "Ron" in the following sentence: "He considered telling Ron, but thought maybe the morticians would prefer him looking peaceful." (location 61 of 4324 • 1%) There should be a comma after "workload" in the following sentence: "Depending on his student workload he brought home anywhere from $400-$800 each month." (location 105 of 4324 • 2%) Other than another round of editing, I found nothing that needed to be improved. The Amazon blurb was concise and detailed, and I also liked the cover. Plus, the book has great Amazon ratings; fans of self-help books should give it a try.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 4:02 pm by Emy Katherine.

Kirsi Cultrera

I liked the looks and the title of this book. Together they provided a very straightforward introduction to the given topic. Because of this positive impression, I would’ve chosen to at least sample this book even if it was not part of The First Ten program. The sample pages introduced a beautifully written book with a clear structure. I liked that the author gave some real examples of the lives of real people. Regardless of the depths of their problems, it probably makes the readers feel more open-minded to the message of this book. This book also seemed professionally edited. Unfortunately, self-help books always make me suspicious, and I seldom read any of them. They make problem-solving look so simple, which is hardly the case in real life. I did enjoy reading the sample pages. Even the available Official OnlineBookClub review confirmed that this is a book worth reading. If I was about to read a self-help book, it would probably be this one, but as said above, real-life never folds like in the books or the movies. However, I am happy to recommend this book to anyone who needs to learn coping techniques for stress or anxiety.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 3:44 pm by Kirsi Cultrera.

Bertha Jackson

The cover, title, and the OnlineBookClub review make this book look attractive. However, I am not interested in this genre in the format of a self-help book. For this reason, I will not be buying or reading this book. In the first ten pages, I did not see any grammatical or typographical errors. I believe it has been edited by a professional. I liked how the author used personal stories that demonstrated the type of stress or anxiety she was experiencing. There was nothing in the first ten pages that I would recommend the author change.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 2:50 pm by Bertha Jackson.

Eareeves99

This book would have caught my attention even if I had not read a sample due to the appealing cover and subtitle. Oftentimes, books tell us about a problem we have but then we are left to our own devices to develop and implement an actual action plan. The title of the first chapter is a bit wordy and the headings could be revised to better grab attention, but the content is very engaging and applicable. It is difficult to say if the book was professionally edited based on such a short sample, but there is a noticable error in the heading at location 153. The heading reads "Difference" instead of "Different" causes of fear. I do plan on reading the remainder of the book; it seems to be well written and easy to read.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 2:47 pm by Eareeves99.

Diana Lowery

I liked the cover of this book. The background colors were calming, and I liked the yellow, caution-tape banner with the subtitle. The blurb mention a 30 day plan which caught my attention. Reading the first ten pages, I got caught up in the story "Never Miss" and was glad that the teenage pilot landed safely. I saw an error at location 26 of this story. There is a comma missing in the sentence,"His father...trips [,] so Lewis ...." The review was favorable, but it did not convince me to read the rest of the book. There was nothing that I saw to improve. I won't finish reading the book because I do not suffer from stress or anxiety.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 2:42 pm by Diana Lowery.

Brenda Creech

This is a book I would have checked out even without a review to read. After reading the official review, I was sure I wanted to read this book; and after reading the first ten pages, there was no doubt in my mind. The book is well-written, easy to understand, and walks you through many different steps to handle stress and anxiety. I love that it has diagrams and charts, and I really want to check those out. I did not find any errors in the first ten pages, and I did not see anything that needs improvement. I liked the personal stories at the beginning about situations that would create anxiety. I am definitely going to read this book.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 12:54 pm by Brenda Creech.

Sarah_Khan

I am not usually a fan of book covers that include people's faces, but I do like this one. I also like the positive and upbeat title. I would not have sampled this without the First Ten program because I do not read self-help books. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the beginning of this book. It is well edited and well organized. I liked that the author started out with stories of real people. I have to say I learned quite a bit in just the first few pages. I had no idea that almost half of people who suffer from depression also have an anxiety disorder. The book flowed so well, before I knew it, I was at the end of the free sample. The OBC review was positive and informative, which solidified my decision to continue reading this book. I look forward to learning more about anxiety and getting tips to deal with it. I do not have any suggestions for the author.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 12:08 pm by Sarah_Khan.

LinaJan

Whilst I appreciate the intended effects of the title and the cover of 'You Got This!' by Linda Bjork, it is not to my taste. It is indeed very reflective of this book's content, and I must give credit for it, but self-help is not my genre. Upon reading the official onlinebookclub.org review, I learned that this self-help book is quite a bit more than just a regular pop-psychology piece. I am pleased that the author does not plead any extreme but, instead, speaks of balance. I also like the idea that the author appears to explain how stress affects our neurophysiology. Having also had the opportunity to sample this book and battle through the clouds in Lewis' plane, I now – funnily enough – have heart palpitations and a knot in my chest. 'You Got This!' seems to be not only both an exciting and educative read, but it is also very well written and proofread. I still have not converted to a fan of this genre, but I know I would recommend it to many in my environment.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 11:50 am by LinaJan.

Timothy Rucinski

I would check out a book such as this only if I were having issues consistent with the topic. So even with this great cover, it's not something that would have tempted me to read it. The Official Review was very complimentary and from what I read in the first ten pages, the Official Reviewer did a good job of conveying the content and style of the book. I enjoyed the personal stories relaying true-life examples of stress and anxiety and there wasn't anything that I disliked, nor do I have any suggestions for improvement. The book seems professionally edited as I saw nothing to suggest otherwise. I won't be reading this book at this time but since it's been downloaded, and since the review was excellent, should I find myself in a situation requiring a little solace, I might finish it.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 11:34 am by Timothy Rucinski.

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda

I knew I wanted to read this book just from looking at the cover. I rarely go for self-help books, but I like that this one doesn't promise a miracle solution but an action plan. The blurb is well-explained, and the book has great ratings, so I would've chosen to read it based on my first impression.
What I liked the most about the first ten pages was that the author started with relatable examples of situations of fear, anxiety, and stress. I also like the light-hearted approach of the author. For example, when she says: "He considered telling Ron, but thought maybe the morticians would prefer him looking peaceful".
I also like that the author based the book on CBT because it's a kind of therapy that's worked for me before.
I found a couple of editing mistakes. The first one on position 25, where it should read "cardiovascular" instead of "cardio-vascular."
I would suggest fixing these minor mistakes and ordering the blurb. I think the content blurb should be at the beginning and the praiseful reviews, that most people browsing books don't read, at the end. The official review confirmed that this is a right book for me to read.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 11:11 am by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda.

Theresa Moffitt

I like the cover of this book. It sounds like a very positive book. It may contain helpful advice. I would have picked this book up based on the cover alone. The Online Book Club review of this book was very positive and gave it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This makes me want to read the book. I didn’t see the need to read an additional customer review. I didn’t see any errors in the first ten pages, so I believe the book was professionally edited. I also didn’t see any area that the author could improve upon. The first ten pages were interesting and made me want to finish reading the book. It introduces the manner in which the book will assist readers in creating an action plan to overcome anxiety, fear and stress. I think this book can be helpful to a lot of readers, especially during these stressful times. The author describes the stress experienced by her husband, a pilot, when he began his career. I think most jobs have stress associated with them, but a pilot certainly has additional stress to overcome. The author’s description of her husband’s near death experience flying a plane near a ski resort was riveting. I would like to finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 10:07 am by Theresa Moffitt.

kperm

I would not have chosen to read the sample of the book based on its genre. However, the title, cover, blurb, and reviews intrigued me. After reading the official review posted on onlinebookclub.org and seeing that the book has a perfect rating, I decided to read the sample. The book seemed nicely written and professionally edited based on what I read, as I did not notice any errors. It was very interesting to read about Linda Bjork's experience with anxiety and stress. I also enjoyed reading the three examples provided in the first chapter. Mostly, I enjoyed reading the example of her husband, Lewis, who is a pilot. I enjoyed the sample very much, and I don't think anything should be improved. Bjork has an excellent writing style that makes the book helpful and enjoyable. I am going to read the whole book and recommend it to anyone who struggles with anxiety.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 9:58 am by kperm.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I might have read it. Although I tend to shy away from self-help books, this one seemed very highly recommended. After reading the first ten pages I didn’t change my mind and therefore will be buying and reading the rest of this book. What I loved the introduction sections and everything that was provided in order to give context. From the author's personal experiences (e.g. the granola days) to setting the stage for the rest of the information to come (e.g. the different causes of fear), it was all interesting. I didn’t see anything specific that I would have wanted to change within the sample that I read, but it did seem well written and edited. The official review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2020, at 8:46 am by Scerakor.

Total ~ 49%

You Got This! earned a score of 49%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 49% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for You Got This!