Cover for Opaque

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Opaque: (Scion Saga, #1)

Because Opaque was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as I neither the cover nor the blurb enticed me. I am not fond of superhero books, and I prefer my superheroes on the big screen. After reading the sample and the official reviews, I changed my mind. While the beginning didn't impress me, Adam seemed at first like a psychopath in the making, the rest of the sample sparked my interest. The more the plot unfolded, the more I was glued to the pages. The sample caught my attention so well that before I knew it, I had reached the end of it. I liked the writing and didn't notice any noticeable errors. I will read the balance of the book, as the sample left me yearning for more.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 7:53 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

desantismt_17

The title of this book (specifically the series title) hooked me immediately just by looking like a fantasy title. After reading the Amazon description, my excitement dwindled a bit when it seemed to contain little about the book and a host of positive reviews. When I’ve seen those kinds of descriptions before, they were usually for books that got a lot of hype and didn’t follow through. I went from definitely wanting to read to on the fence. After reading the sample and OnlineBookClub.org review, I’m back on the want-to-read side. The superhero theme is one of my favorite scifi/fantasy tropes, and the Russian backdrop looks fascinating. Adam, the main character, starts off the book supernaturally angry. The author may have overdone the anger a bit, but it’s tough to tell from only ten pages. The writing is clean and appears professionally edited. I didn’t notice any errors in the sample I read. So, I’ll be giving this one a try.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 9:00 am by desantismt_17.

Christina O Phillips

The title is simple, but the cover caught my eye. The summary sounded somewhat interesting though I feel like it talked more about the series in general than this book's specific story line. Without this program, I probably would have skipped the sample. There were no errors that I noticed, but I did not get very pulled in to this book. The dialogue felt natural enough and the narrator was descriptive, but I did not like the narrator. They felt too bitter and young for me, though I know this is a young adult novel. I am curious about the world this is set in and to see if the narrator changes at all and since it is free I will download this and read it.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 9:03 am by Christina O Phillips.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I would not have picked up this book because the cover makes it looks like a book for young teenagers. I am also not a fan of superhero stories. I liked the title. The first ten pages seemed professionally edited. I have to admit that I was a bit confused, I did not see where the story was going, but I was also intrigued. The OBC review was favorable, but it did not affect my opinion. At the end of the first ten pages, this book managed to catch my attention, but it is still not my cup of tea. Therefore, I do not intend to read the rest.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 9:50 am by Sarah_Khan.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

DancingLady

I am not a fan of superheroes and those kind of stories, so I was not interested in this book. The review convinced me it is well written and will certainly have lots of fans who do like this genre. After reading the first 10 pages I was impressed with the writing quality and professional editing. I most certainly did not like Adam’s fantasy about his mother and am very concerned about young readers who may be vulnerable to suggestions due to their hormonal development stage. I will not finish this book because I’m not interested in the story.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 10:25 am by DancingLady.

Emmanae

I would have read the first ten pages without this program since the book was free. Honestly for me I don’t think there were technically grammatical errors, but there were spots where the commas seemed a bit unnecessary, and that may have been replaced with colons. I think the book was edited, but perhaps not professionally. The main character fantasizing about his mom was just way too much for me, but I did like the description of his depression. I don’t think I will read the rest of the book because the mother infatuation was so uncomfortable, paired with the official OBC review I read. The review said the the entire book is exactly like what sixteen year old boys think like, and that’s just super creepy and uncomfortable to me.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 10:28 am by Emmanae.

kfwilson6

Upon initial inspection of the genre, cover, title, synopsis and reviews I thought this would be a great book, and series, for me. I really enjoy young adult and teen books and superpowers never get old. The reviews mostly indicated this is an exciting book that would be hard to put down. I was ready to dive right in. So I started the sample and sprang right back out. I was appalled by Adam's thoughts about his mother and completely uninterested in his superior attitude. I could not read an entire book from Adam's perspective if he continues on in that mindset. I hope that the book improves after the first ten pages but I could barely stomach what I read so I will not be reading this book. The writing was decent, although I wouldn't say it was great. I didn't notice any errors but how many young adults know what psithurism is? Difficult, uncommon words will bog a reader down and I do not enjoy having to pause to pull up dictionary.com.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 10:32 am by kfwilson6.

ritah

Based on the genre and cover, I would have sampled the novel because it looks like an intense read, and I usually enjoy books in this genre. The official review had me excited to sample the book, especially when the reviewer gave the opinion that the book is up there with the best in its genre. I liked how we get a sense of Adam's character - he seems like a dark but deep character; I wondered what his experiences had been. I also appreciated the author's writing style and the way it gave voice and life to Adam's character right from the beginning. I also found it easy to keep on reading - the narrative kept reeling me in, page after page, which is why I will be reading the rest of the book. I did not notice any obvious errors in the pages I read.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 11:14 am by ritah.

Yolimari

I would not have sampled this book without this program because the title and cover are too dark for my taste. The OBC review made me curious about this story because it is about a disturbed tennager who turns his life around and becomes a superhero. After I read the sample pages, I thought the book needs another editorial review. I thought about reading the book after I read all the praise it has received from reviews. I liked the author’s in-depth writing style. However, I decided not to read the book because I did not like Adam’s disturbing thoughts.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 11:37 am by Yolimari.

BookishCreature

At first glance, I was not interested in this book. I don't enjoy high school romance, so it just wasn't for me despite the positive reviews and eye-catching cover. After reading the first ten pages, I found that the writing style wasn't my cup of tea. The narration uses a lot of uncommon vocabulary that seemed forced and heavy-handed. Phrases like "wafting with invasion" didn't make much sense. It does seem that the book has been proofread professionally, though, and the opening pages definitely built up some suspense and intrigue. Overall, it's just not a book for me.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 11:48 am by BookishCreature.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I wouldn’t have picked it up. I’m not really a romance fan nor do I read YA usually. After reading the first ten pages, I didn’t change my mind. I did find the writing very descriptive and emotional which would be very attractive to the intended age group. Unfortunately, that age group isn’t myself. I didn’t see anything I would have changed in the book because it is hitting the nail on the head of its intended demographic. I will not be reading the rest of this book but it did seem well written and edited. The official review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 12:26 pm by Scerakor.

CataclysmicKnight

I really like the cover of this one, and the Amazon description sounded really awesome (even a potential link to Marvel?!), so I definitely would've checked this out if I came across it. I love YA and the superhero genre, and this definitely seemed to fit both!

I didn't realize, until I jumped into these first ten pages, just how accurate the cover is. Usually a cover like this just means someone is troubled or is powerful, but here it belies the main character's darkness within. This main character is a very dark, troubled teenager who constantly has to remind himself NOT to murder his father so he can be with his mother and to not scare "normal" people off. He daydreams about murdering everyone so that the world can be a better place, and says that the emptiness inside himself wouldn't even make him feel anything if he did it. I can see the book going somewhere interesting with this, and there were no errors that I saw, but I'm not a fan of the themes in this one at all.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 12:41 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

lavellan

I probably would have read the sample of Opaque if it had not been a part of the First Ten program. The Book of the Day review was very positive and the similarities to X-Men caught my interest. The book seemed like it was professionally edited and I did not notice any errors while reading. I enjoyed the premise of the book. However, Adam disturbed me greatly. I disliked his incestuous obsession with his mother and self-centered personality. As a result, I will not be reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 1:31 pm by lavellan.

MsTri

I love the cover and title for "Opaque", and both the synopsis and review confirmed that this is a book I'd like to read. I adore stories about mutants and/or superpowers, so this is right up my alley. With that being said, I sadly was not that impressed with the sample read. I felt like too much time was spent dwelling on Adam's feelings for his mother, which turned me off. I was, however, glad that the book seems to be professionally edited. I also liked the tone of it when Adam was not talking about JoAnne. I have no suggestions for changes because the book is written well, and I assume the obsession with JoAnne will stop once Carly enters the scene.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 2:59 pm by MsTri.

NL Hartje

I am surprised to like this cover. The brooding young man amidst a swirl of chaos accurately mirrors the character readers will find within. The reviews for this book are mostly raving; it's described as "rousing" and "eccentric" which adds to the appeal. I originally thought I would love this book since I found it to be well edited. As a fantasy fiend, I was certain this would be up my alley-it wasn't. I was so distracted by the syntax that I couldn't enjoy the story. Many sentences were stunted and omitted the use of traditional verbs for effect. The sentences that did have any length were muddled by the inclusion of multiple asides and appositives and made for a very halting read. Sentences like “The wind—always the victor.” and “My unembellished room, dark.” reflected the voice of an aged wise man, and not the sixteen-year-old presented to readers.

Although in a different package I might have enjoyed the story of a young man discovering his new ability while falling hopelessly in love, in this book's package I have no interest in continuing the read.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 3:02 pm by NL Hartje.

melissy370

I was excited about this book from the blurb on Amazon and that it was Sci-fi. The Russian bloodline that carries unique genetic markers sounded interesting. Reading the first ten pages doused my enthusiasm though. Adam's nihilistic attitude, his lust for his mother, and his psychotic behavior are turn offs for me. The review for it makes it sound like it gets better but I don't think I will read anymore. The writing itself seemed a little choppy at times with so many sentences starting with "I". There were no other errors that I saw.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 3:06 pm by melissy370.

ZenaLei7

After reading the first ten pages, I decided to finish reading the book. The sample was interesting and I enjoy reading fantasy books. While reading the sample, I liked how the main character, Adam, was portrayed. I do like the book cover and title so if I were to sample the book based on just the cover and title, I probably would have chosen to sample it because they both look interesting. While reading the sample, I didn't notice any grammatical errors either. I also read the official OBC review for this book which was helpful in solidifying my decision on reading this book. There isn't anything I would change anything about this book.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 4:07 pm by ZenaLei7.

micoleon13

This is a great cover page which immediately gets your attention, which is especially important for YA fiction. I'd be interested in this. The OnlineBookClub review was very complementary and outlined a story that I would be interested in. I like how the main characters complement each other in their personalities. The genetic mutation aspect is really interesting. The pages which I read were well written and edited, however, I found it difficult to get involved in the story at the start. For me, it felt a bit too full of teenage angst to get drawn in. While I'm sure that this will strike a chord with its intended audience, I don't this that I will be continuing with this book. I have no ideas for improvement.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 5:26 pm by micoleon13.

lbhatters

This book has good dialogue and descriptive language. I am not interested in dark fantasy, so I would not pick this book up. I am freaked out by the scary cover, but that is my preference of cover. Others might be attracted to it.

If I was not to see the cover page, and only read the first ten pages, and some of the problem grammar areas were fixed, I would keep reading the book. I like it. The title is nice. I especially liked the characters and how they interacted and you knew Adam and the other character's thoughts. Very realistic. The writing ability here is very good.

Here are the specific problems I had with the language style. This is a long list.

Page 9: I recognize that God has set me apart for some reason. It just seems nonsensical to do that, only to watch my forceful and painful conformity. "to do that" is ambiguous.

Page 10: I could sprout horns right now and they’d still be in denial about who and what I truly am, so I blend. "blend in" would be better, if that is what you mean.

Page 10: Society molds our emotions to be absent compassion for our fellow man,to judge without mercy, to worship currency, and empty our minds of rational thought. "absent of compassion" Preposition missing.

Page 10: Swallowed up inside of a watery black hole that has no surface to desperately swim toward. Fragment. Sounds misplaced.

Page 10: As she has a tendency to do each morning. Fragment. Sounds misplaced.

Page 11: This quiet, but modestly wealthy, city has a population of approximately 4,000. No comma before city.

Page 12: She’s always beautiful with her thick, lustrous toffee colored hair. toffee-colored. Add a hyphen. Missing hyphen not incorrect, but better.

Page 12: I repent my detestable thoughts and my heart pleads for forgiveness. "repent of" Preposition missing.

Page 13: Making sure she’s safely inside and buckled before I close her door. Fragment. Seems odd here.

Page 14: As if following a rehearsed sequence of events, the spiritual plunge. I allow the darkness to have me. Fragment. Seems odd here.

Page 15: I lean over and kiss her softly on the cheek, lingering near her ear. Fighting my urge to kiss her. Repeated word kiss, but different meaning. Might be better to revise.

Page 16: Careful not to reveal those fangs wolf man. Fragment. Add "Be". Be careful. Otherwise sounds odd.

Page 17: As I prepare to swap my Bible for my Essential Telekinesis study reference guide, animals enter the restroom bragging about some chick they’re planning to have sex with at the senior party this weekend.

Other times bible is not capitalized, so not here unless you mean the Holy Bible.

Page 17: The cocky, golden-haired, Josh, stands in front of the mirror. Running his girlish fingers through his hair. Fragment. Seems odd here.

Page 19: I look down at my football-sized hands. Flipping them over repeatedly, to ensure that my manicure isn’t too obvious. Fragment. seems odd here.

Please take a moment to think about these notes. Thank you.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 6:38 pm by lbhatters.

CrescentMoon

I think I would pick this book up after reading the blurb because the premise is really interesting and I love the young adult, fantasy, and science fiction genres. After reading the first ten pages, I didn't really see any spelling or grammar errors. I definitely think the beginning has a good hook and will hook most readers in. Adam definitely has a darkness and "psychotic" nature about him that is very curious. However, I don't think I can read the rest of the book. His sexual thoughts about his mom is really hard for me to read and the language just seems way too developed for a 16-year old boy. I'm sure other science fiction lovers would enjoy this, but it's not for me.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 6:59 pm by CrescentMoon.

Snowflake

The title, cover and Amazon blurb all give a decent indication of what this book is like, although it may begin a bit darker than advertised. This is not a genre I usually read, so I probably would not have sampled this book without the first ten pages program. The OBC review was quite positive and added to my interest in this book. The sample was good. I did not notice any obvious typos or grammar errors. The story flowed well and the characters and scenarios were easy to understand. This book is definitely darker than what I typically read. I do like a main character with a sense of humour, however, the main character here certainly fits with a brooding teen genre. This seems like a decent book but not really my style, and so, I do not plan to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 7:26 pm by Snowflake.

Tbunde5

The title, cover, and genre all drew me to read this book. I intended to read only the first ten pages, but have now read half of the book. The story is masterfully written and the characters are utterly believable. The first person point of view draws the reader in to the mind of both hero and heroine. One thing that bothered me was that, before meeting Carly, Adam relies heavily on his “Bible”. Afterward we don’t hear about it at all. It seems like an abrupt about-face. The OBC review was a bit vague and hard to follow if you hadn’t read the book. I think it would be unhelpful to someone deciding whether or not to read it. I, however, will be finishing the story tonight!

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 8:08 pm by Tbunde5.

ScoutWrites

Had I not actually sampled the first ten pages as part of this program I wouldn't have paid much attention to this book based on the cover, title, genre, blurb, and reviews I saw because I am not interested in young adult fiction at this time. The official OnlineBookClub review and the description on Amazon made it sound interesting though, so I read the first ten pages to see if my mind could be changed. Unfortunately, I had great difficutly finding anything to like about this book. The writing is terrible and littered with fragmented sentences; the narrator is detestable, hateful, and creepy; and I couldn't make any sense of what was happening. I couldn't finish the first ten pages fast enough. Because of the fragments and dangling modifiers, I would say this book does not seem like it was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 8:26 pm by ScoutWrites.

BunnySTx

After reading a sample of, Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign, I have decided that I will be finishing this book. Based on the cover, the author piqued my interest. If I had not read a sample, I would have grabbed this book. I am an avid fan of science fiction, and this book fits that genre. The blurb piqued my interest with the Russian bloodlines and supernatural abilities of the characters. As I read the story, the author pulls me in. I like that the author writes the story in the first person. I think that this helps to engage me more in the story. I would have preferred if the author told who the main character is from the beginning. I didn't like reading several pages and not knowing who it was. I like how the author keeps me engaged. Questions arise as I read, and I want to know more. I'm curious as to whom the mystery girl is. The author sets the tone that Adam can't be with her. Why? Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review. The reviewer engages my interest further in the book. I'm looking forward to reading about Adam, the Russian bloodlines, and their abilities. I will be reading this book in the future.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 9:12 pm by BunnySTx.

ladycraic

The cover of this novel visually appeals to me so I would have chosen to sample Opaque apart from First Ten. I wasn't any more interested in sampling this novel after reading the blurb as it seemed very vague. I didn't get a feel for the plot and hence, I didn't know what to expect from the first ten pages. I found that the first ten pages indicated that this book wasn't for me. Following Adam's disturbing train of thought made me uncomfortable. I don't have any connections with the main characters that spur me to finish this novel. In addition, I'm not terribly interested in the plot. Judging from the official OBC review, I'll be missing out on an epic romance that I don't care too much for. I will not be finishing this novel. This book seems professionally edited and I didn't notice any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 9:56 pm by ladycraic.

Nanig83006

Had I not read the first 10 pages, I still would have read this novel. Based on the cover, its title and blurb, and the review I read, it sounds like quite and exciting read.

I am definitely going to buy and finish reading Opaque. The original review piqued my interested, but the first 10 pages of the story really drew me in. Adam comes off as extremely dark and filled with contempt and holds bizarre feelings for his mother, but the author's writing and style kept me engaged and wanting to learn why he is this way he is.

As I progressed through the first 10 pages, I saw no grammatical errors. Everything is well written and, so far, appears professionally edited.

What I liked most in the bit that I read, is Adam's disposition. The author made me believe Adam just doesn't stand anyone aside from his mother, but there's more to it and him. So far, there's nothing I would add to improve this because I'm eager to know where Opaque is going.

I came across this book because there was an official Online Book Review. The review was insightful and informed of Adam's twisted thoughts, but let it be known there's a great development for the character and story. There's another review I found which praised Opaque more so, raising my desire to read it.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 10:06 pm by Nanig83006.

Kathryn Price

I was very hopeful about this book. The Amazon summary looked interesting and just the kind of book I would read. But from the moment I started reading the first page, I was confused and a little disgusted by the character's thoughts and actions, which made no sense and scared me a little. As it went on it seemed to get worse, and the story did not capture my attention, so though it was well-written and I found no editing errors, I do not think I am going to finish this book.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 10:31 pm by Kathryn Price.

Bluecobia

The cover is intreging. I don't typically read young adult fiction but, I like science fiction. The amazon and book club reviews make the book sound interesting. I might have read further even if I were not part of this program. Reading the first ten pages I found Adam's thought patterns disturbing. I did not like feeling like I was meeting a soon to be mass murderer. Some of the wording and thoughts sounded a little hard for most young adult readers. Based on the first ten pages I probably would not read further. But, based on the reviews I think I will put this on my possible read in the future list. I did not see any editorial errors in the first ten pages so I presume that it was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2018, at 11:28 pm by Bluecobia.

bookowlie

I would not have sampled this book on my own because I don't like the sci-fi genre or superhero books. I liked the OBC reviewer's comment that the world in the story is "reasonably normal", despite the mutations. Still, the main subject matter is not my cup of tea. That being said, the Amazon blurb is edited well and gives an easy-to-understand explanation of the plot. I was happily surprised that I enjoyed the beginning pages. The book started off in a unique way with the character's inner thoughts and excellent imagery that drew me into the story. It's a little cringe-worthy that Adam is having impure thoughts about his mother, but I wonder if there will be a sci-fi-related explanation for this once the story progresses. Although I don't usually like this genre, I am interested enough to want to read further. I spotted one error in the Note from the Author section (a space between the word creation and the period). Other that that, the sample is well written and the author has a nice, casual writing style.

First Ten review added on April 11, 2018, at 12:00 am by bookowlie.

Momiji1987

The writing is very compelling. I was very intrigued by the spiritual aspects especially, and the realistic battle of the young man trying to conquer his desires. I thought the colored illustrations were very unique for a young adult book. You don’t see a lot of that. The overall design of the book was very stylish and beautifully rendered. I’m quite curious about this book, but I haven’t determined if I want to continue reading yet. Some of the details are quite dark, and I’m pretty happy right now, so I’m not sure I want to delve into darkness just now. I didn’t see any errors in the book. I’m a little perturbed by the cover. The character looks demonic, and that’s kind of creepy to me. I worry about opening doors to the dark side, and I think teens are especially vulnerable, so I would hope this book is ultimately good triumphing over evil. The review was positive, and does mention some romance and such, so I’m not sure this is a book for me. I don’t generally gravitate towards romance or sci-fi.

First Ten review added on April 11, 2018, at 2:18 am by Momiji1987.

va2016

I wouldn't have selected the book based on the cover or the title as neither of them are catchy. Also, they are not very indicative of the young adult theme. I had to sample the book to find out what it is about. The book has been professionally edited for the most part, although I found one instance where there is an unneeded space before a period. I am not going to read the book in full as I found the subject too heavy for my taste. Also, I found the narration filled with lot of incomplete sentences which put me off. The best thing I liked about the book is the expression of feelings and emotions. What could be improved is the writing style, which could be made a bit acceptable for all audiences. Right now, it would only impress the young adults. Although I found an OBC review for the book, my decision to not to read the book in full is based on my sampling.

First Ten review added on April 11, 2018, at 2:29 am by va2016.

IsabelMay

The cover is a bit cliché, but the reason why I wouldn't sample the book if it weren't for this program is actually the description. I hope the author sees the following arguments as constructive feedback. The most irritating thing I come across when finding books is descriptions filled with more reviews than the actual description. There's a reason why Amazon and other platforms have one section for the premise and a different one for the reviews. If I'm interested in the reviews, I'll just scroll down and check them out. Plus, whoever did the marketing here included a ton of yellow star symbols which made it extremely tacky. Comparing the book to Marvel comics? The author is definitely either brave or conceited, or both. For all of the reasons above, I had a very bad impression. Saying from experience, books with such a praising description are terribly written. The sample confirmed my suspicions. The storyline is far from thrilling, I was rather bored, even though I sometimes like to read this genre. Therefore, it's far from Marvel. On the good side, it seems edited. However, that's the only thing I could find that I liked about this book, so I won't be reading the rest. Positive reviews couldn't convince me otherwise, the story simply failed to keep my attention.

First Ten review added on April 11, 2018, at 3:16 am by IsabelMay.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would not have read the book as I do not think it is my genre, and the cover reminds me a bit of Twilight which I am not a fan of. After reading the sample I have changed my mind. I really love the writing style, which started right off the bat very dramatic and intense. I also really liked the present tense, which made me feel as though I was experiencing the story in real time. It was professionally edited. I did not read the official review but that did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on April 11, 2018, at 3:17 am by psychopathycathy.

cristinaro

We are all witnesses to the overwhelming success of young adult series from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter to Stephenie Meyer's Twilight saga. Calix Leigh-Reign's Opaque is book 1 in the Scion saga. According to the Amazon blurb, it has all the potential for an exhilarating young adult series full of adventure and sensational elements. The one-word title is of high impact and the cover features the typical handsome rebellious boy whom young teenage girls find so attractive. The book itself is number one Amazon bestseller and has many 5-star editorial reviews praising it for the bold character development and a strong mythological background. The customer reviews stress the idea that the novel is not the usual "superhuman" or mutant story because of its unpredictable plot keeping the readers' interest at all times. If it had not been for this program, I would probably not have come across this book. I am glad I did, considering my previous research into literature for children in general and young adult fiction in particular. Before starting to read the sample, I thought I would just pass over this book since I am not currently interested in reading young adult series. However, once I read the author's note, something changed. I was immediately drawn to her metaphor of life as a journey in which we are all programmed to act in a certain way. I simply related to everything she wrote there. The prologue continues in the same metaphorical note with the century-old struggle between light and darkness. Chapter One struck me with the intensity of the descriptions written with the full force subjectivity of the first person narration. Sometimes, the realism of the author's observations scared me with their relevance for what is happening in present-day world: "Any semblance of individuality in this society is cause for immediate crucifixion and exile." Adam's forbidden love for his mother is a true personification of an Oedipus complex reaching a different level. Since I could not find any typos or grammar mistakes in the first chapter, I have made up my mind about reading this book. The OnlineBookClub review added to my conviction that Opaque is not only meant for young adult readers, but for any reader who loves a good sci-fi plot with adventure, romance, disturbng observations about our world and atypical superheroes.

First Ten review added on April 11, 2018, at 3:32 am by cristinaro.

Vermont Reviews

I am glad that this series is being picked up by marvel comics. About 20 years ago I had a comic shop. I am looking forward to finishing the story with Adam as the main character.

I love the cover and would have read the preview of the book based on the cover.

One correction.

Sweep should be swept in the intro.

Thanks for sponsoring the book of the day.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on April 11, 2018, at 4:23 am by Vermont Reviews.

N_R

I knew from the start that I would probably not like this book. I do not like reading romance and I also don't like science-fiction novels. Therefore, I do not plan to buy and read the whole book. But, I will note that I actually did not mind reading the sample. Usually, I find it difficult to get through the first 10 pages when I am doing this activity for books in the science-fiction genre. I was surprised at the light-heartedness of the writing style and enjoyed the humorous thanks given to the many people who have inspired and supported the author. The book seems like it is professionally formatted and I did not find any spelling mistakes. The review for this book was quite good and many people for BOTD were positive about this novel, even people who said that they did not normally like this genre. I think that people who enjoy light-hearted books will enjoy this one and I can think of a few people to recommend it to.

First Ten review added on April 11, 2018, at 5:45 am by N_R.

RebeccasReading

This is not a book I would have normally read. I'm not a fan of science fiction. After reading the sample, my opinion is the same. The topic doesn't interest me. I did like the author's writing style--it is very descriptive. However, I found the description and the sample to be very confusing. I would suggest that this be improved by making the description a little more clear. It jumps right into the supernatural components, which is hard to grasp for a potential reader. I didn't notice any errors or mistakes, so it seems to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on April 11, 2018, at 7:40 am by RebeccasReading.

ccrews0408

Based on the cover and genre, had I not read the first 10 pages, I would have read this book. I love sci-fi novels and the cover is catchy. I was a bit discouraged when the review stated it was for young adults because I tend to avoid those types of books. After reading the first 10 pages, I was relieved to find that it didn't have the elementary feel of a young adult novel. I enjoyed reading the thoughts of the main character and thought it was very well-written. I didn't notice any typos or grammatical errors and there was an official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on April 11, 2018, at 11:06 am by ccrews0408.

ButterscotchCherrie

I might have sampled this on the basis of the genre and certainly the author's introduction, though I have to be careful because my reading list is so long right now. I will, however, read the rest of it on the basis of the first ten pages (sometime!) because an intriguing situation is set up. I didn't notice any errors so this appears professionally edited. I liked the character's nihilism best. In terms of what might be improved, I thought at first that it was a little slow to get started but that was rectified before page 10. I did see an OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on April 11, 2018, at 2:49 pm by ButterscotchCherrie.

ReviewerDiksha

Even though the cover and title of this book are interesting, I am not into reading YA novels, now. So, I wouldn't have bought this novel. I didn't read any reviews, so I didn't know what to expect. But the cover suggested the book to be about some kid with supernatural powers. I read the sample, and it was grammatically correct. Talking about the writing style, the story is told in first person, from the perspective of the lead character, Adam. The writing style was in flow with his thought and we got a very clear picture of his mentality. But, I didn't find it interesting. The premise was a little different, of course. A son in love with his mother, seemingly! That's a very difficult premise to handle. And this is where it went wrong, I guess. Perhaps a different approach to the story could solve this problem. The thing was that throughout the sample, Adam was just expressing his disgust towards the rest of the humans and his complicated love for his mother. But, it all felt a bit superficial. We read the stories for the characters. And Adam's character didn't catch my interest.

First Ten review added on April 11, 2018, at 10:21 pm by ReviewerDiksha.

Afuglsan

I do like the cover, title and genre. This book looks really promising. The OBC review was super positive, and most Amazon reviews were positive, too. I think the book is good, but I still wasn’t a huge fan. It’s kind of bizarre, and I didn’t think the author did a very good job explaining things. I would have liked to have known a bit more. As it is, I’m not sure I will finish the rest of the book. It did appear to be professionally edited. For now, I’m going to pass on this one

First Ten review added on April 11, 2018, at 11:49 pm by Afuglsan.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book without this program. The OBC review didn't have me intrigued. The genre isn't one I normally read, and the blurb compared it to a comic book, which I don't really like. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I liked the description the author used. It was very unique. However, the content isn't for me. While I thought the author had a great style, I just couldn't get into the story. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on April 12, 2018, at 1:00 am by anneloretrujillo.

SPasciuti

I wasn’t incredibly interested in this book prior to reading the sample. The synopsis just didn’t sound like one I would enjoy much. After reading the book’s first ten pages, I don’t feel any more obliged to read it.

The book is filled with purple prose and has a number of errors, mainly with extra comma placement. This was distracting, though not unforgivable. God, however, was introduced incredibly quickly and I’m really just 100% not interested in reading a book about something like that.

First Ten review added on April 12, 2018, at 1:28 am by SPasciuti.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read pure romance books. However, the cover and title made me curious about the plot of the book. In particular, the color combination (orange and black) and the expression of the character on the cover caught my attention. Having read the sample, I thought that it was easy to read and follow. However, I found the romantic angle between a son and his mother strange. I found no major grammatical errors. While I liked the author's writing style, the plot in the sample did not interest me, and hence, I will not be reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on April 12, 2018, at 2:20 am by AA1495.

Gravy

YA is a genre I enjoy, so I likely would have given this a look. Sadly, the sample convinced me that this just isn't for me.

I didn't notice any grammatical errors, and some of the writing was very pleasant, beautiful even. Overall, however, it was inconsistent, so I can't say it seems to be well edited. I think some editing could really help.
The storyline is not something that interests me, and due to the strange mother/son relationship, I doubt I would recommend it.

There was an official review, but that would not change my opinion, regardless.

Due to the reasons stated above, I do not plan to read or recommend this.

First Ten review added on April 12, 2018, at 3:00 am by Gravy.

MarisaRose

"Opaque" is not a book I would typically choose to buy. I'm not a fan of YA books, nor do I care much for sci-fi or fantasy novels. That being said, I wouldn't purchase this book blindly. The OBC review had a lot of positive comments about this book, but they didn't really change my mind given that I wasn't interested in the plot or YA genre of this book. After sampling the first ten pages, my opinion did not change about "Opaque." One of my biggest pet peeves about YA novels is that the writing tends to be dull and uninteresting. I found the narrative of "Opaque" to be exactly that; further, it seemed like the author dumbed down some language. Based on the writing style alone, I don't plan to read any more of this book. However, I will note that I did not notice any grammatical errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on April 12, 2018, at 6:41 am by MarisaRose.

hsimone

Most likely, I would have sampled this read on my own. I absolutely love the cover, the title is unique, and I do love a good young adult fantasy story with some romance. Though I do wonder if I would like the superhero aspect since I'm not a fan of most Marvel movies. However, the book has received such good ratings, both OBC and customer, that I would have been swayed to sample this one.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be well edited. I absolutely love the writing style as the author shows some of Adam's darkness within himself. The writing seems educated, with some new words for me, which gives me hope for more new ones to come. These new words include "ictal" and "cretinous". The connection that Adam feels toward his mom is both disturbing and interesting at the same time. Due to my interest being piqued and wanting to know more, I plan on finishing this book.

First Ten review added on April 12, 2018, at 6:57 am by hsimone.

Vickie Noel

I wouldn't have read this book without the program because I don't fancy the cover. The title is intriguing enough but I still would have walked past it. After reading the sample, my mind has been overhauled and I can't wait to get back to reading. The plot is highly engaging and I'm so curious to get to the bottom of the matter. It is a professionally edited book because I only saw a misplaced period once. I liked the fact that there were virtually no errors in the author's use of present tense all through the part I read. Therefore, I have no recommendations for improvement. The OBC review I read played a huge part in registering my interest in this book.

First Ten review added on April 12, 2018, at 7:32 am by Vickie Noel.

Mercy Bolo

From this book's review, I was hesitant and didn't intend to read it. This is because the review indicated that the book is riddled with errors. I experienced this when a title in the first few pages was misspelled. What I liked most about the sample is the catchy cover and that the language used in the novel consists of rich vocabulary. What I didn't like though was the use of a swear word on page 10. This put me off because since this book is meant for young adults and a swear word, no matter the context doesn't seem appropriate. I, however, won't read the rest of the book because the storyline doesn't appeal to me. The only thing i would change about the book is to make it error-free.

First Ten review added on April 12, 2018, at 8:18 am by Mercy Bolo.

jwalker73

I would definitely not have selected this book based on both cover and genre. I do not enjoy supernatural themes and the cover definitely gives the impression this book contains these. In fact the cover reminds me of demonic evilness, which is an immediate deterrent for me. The customer reviews I have read on this book are varied, but none changed my initial thoughts. While I could not fault the writing, the first ten were a bit too deep and dark for my liking. There was nothing I read that excited me enough to want to keep on reading. I actually found the mood somewhat depressing. I think you have to appreciate this genre to get enjoyment from this story, which I simply lack. For this reason I do not intend to read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on April 12, 2018, at 8:39 am by jwalker73.

KRay93

The cover and the blurb shout "Young Adult" all over the place, even if the brevity and the impact of the title may suggest that there is something else in the story. The official review confirmed my suspicions, as did my reading of the first ten pages, although in both cases the way to face the characterization of the protagonist attracted my interest more than I expected. Unfortunately, the genre rarely results from my preference, and the book does not seem to deviate too much from its restrictions. To top it off, it is written in the first person of the present time. Still, the book does meet the necessary requirements to attract its potential readers. The editing work seems fine and there were no grammatical errors that I caught at first sight. The title looks very appropriate for the mindset of the protagonist, whose immaturity and seemingly unfounded anger deprive me of wanting to continue reading the story.

First Ten review added on April 12, 2018, at 11:31 am by KRay93.

cpru68

Readers are introduced to the main character, Adam, who barely is sixteen and has some major mental problems. He abhors his dad because he is sexually attracted to his mom. The entire first ten pages is about how he wishes to attack his dad so he can be with his mom romantically. He obsesses over her hair and her looks. When she kisses his dad, it makes him angry. When she touches Adam’s hand, it sends him messages of erotic thoughts vs. just a person in his life being nice to him. From the reviews I have read, I know that he is some mutation or something, so I guess that must excuse all of this out of the ordinary attraction he has for his own mother.

I’m not going to finish reading this book. The review didn’t persuade me to either. I cannot subject myself to the content of this book for two reasons. First, the writing of Adam’s thoughts were puffed up and flowery. Things that could have been stated simply went on and on in the most overly done way with descriptions that weren’t necessary. I got lost more then once in a sentence, and second, the idea of a sixteen year old man pandering after his own mom is the lowest form of entertainment for me. With all the sexual abuse that happens in real situations to people at the hands of authority figures, a book depicting a warped sense of sexual attraction for a parent seems grievous to those who really have suffered. But, it’s to entertain the masses. However, that is not my idea of entertainment.

I did not see any errors in punctuation, spelling or grammar so this seems to have been professionally edited.

This obviously isn’t the book for me, and I didn’t find anything I really liked about it. For me, there are better books to spend my time reading.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 10:03 am by cpru68.

TuyetMai

I believe this book would attract many sci-fi lovers base on what the official review says about the characters' unique superpowers. Nevertheless, I wouldn’t have chosen this book for myself because I’m not a fan of young adult novels. The sample offers a very realistic portrait of 16-year-old boy with Adam, but that’s precisely the reason I don’t like YA novels. There’s just too much anger going on in the mind of a teenager, especially a teenage boy. It's a pity because the book seems well-written and professionally edited. I think the general readers would be very curious of Adam’s unnatural love for his mother. Personally, I suspect the two may not be biologically related, but I’m not interested enough to find out.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 10:17 am by TuyetMai.

Theresam

The cover art and title of this book are intriguing to me. It makes me curious to know what the book is about. I haven’t read a review of this book yet. The first ten pages introduce the character of Adam who is 16 and live in a town in California called Piure. The book begins with Adam in his bedroom unable to sleep and feeling overwhelmed by heat. He hears his parents having sex in the next room and resents them. The next morning we learn that he doesn’t like his father, who he calls Mark, and seems to be madly in love with his mother. He is aroused when she touches his hand at breakfast and seems to believe that she feels the same type of love for him. I didn’t see any errors in the first ten pages, so I believe the book was professionally edited based on the first ten pages alone. I was not interested in the subject matter of this book. However, I will read a review and may change my mind based on that review. Based on the first ten pages, I will not finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 10:24 am by Theresam.

Nickolas Farmakis

This is a young adult novel about Adam and his attraction to his mother. I would not have read the book based on the cover, the title, or the genre, as I do not like young adult fantasy novels. I will not read the book, as I found it unrealistic and boring. The sample I read did not contain any errors, so this book has been professionally edited. What I liked most in the book was the vivid description that livened the mood of the text, giving the reader a clear image of Adam's mind. To improve, the author must make his book more original and realistic to be closer to a real-life situation. The book had an Official OnlineBookClub review, which did not affect my opinion.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 10:30 am by Nickolas Farmakis.

Laura Lee

I love the cover of this book! The image: the glowing eyes, the colors, the font, were all very interesting. Both the review and the Amazon blurb were well-written and intriguing. I don't typically read Y/A or fantasy, but the quality of the cover, Amazon blurb, and review made me decide to try it.

The thing that impressed me the most from the first was how descriptively it was written. I liked that. I felt swamped by Adam's emotions. They weren't good emotions and I didn't care for the darkness of them, but I was impressed with the quality of writing that could evoke such emotions in the reader. I did not care, however, for Adam's MILF fixation on his own mother. The content just got too dark for me so I will not be finishing this book. That said, what I read of it was well-done and certainly looked professionally edited. I didn't find any typos. It's very well-written and edited.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 10:41 am by Laura Lee.

Everydayadventure15

I enjoy sci-fi books and this cover had caught my attention, after reading a few reviews, however, I was not convinced I would enjoy the book. Since it is the February book of the month, I have already read the first four chapters and plan on reading the whole book. Had it not been for book of the day/month, I would not have read this book. It starts off with a very unlikeable main character who is sexually aroused by his mother and outright hates all people other than her. It’s hard to cheer on or get excited about a book when you don’t like the main character. The official OBC reviews did give me hope that the book gets better as the mutation in Adam’s linage is revealed, and the X-men type power does appeal to me. I noticed a couple misused apostrophes so I would agree with the 3 star OBC review that there may be need of one more revision. As I write this, I am starting chapter five and the interaction between Adam and the new student, Carly is drawing me further into the story. Therefore I will finish reading the book so I can participate in the book discussion.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 10:54 am by Everydayadventure15.

Emy Katherine

I am not fond of young adult sci-fi stories, so I would not have read the book based on the genre. The story follows the adventures and misadventures of a 16-year-old boy named Adam, whose life takes an unexpected turn when he meets a charming girl (Carly) and suddenly discovers he possesses superhuman powers. It is a tale filled with suspense, adventure, action, and romance; therefore, I am quite sure readers who enjoy reading fantasy novels will enjoy this one. Unfortunately, although I liked the descriptive writing style, I did not change my mind after reading the OBC review and the sample. In all honesty, I did not feel invested in the story. As I only found a misplaced comma throughout the sample, the book seemed to be professionally edited. For example, there should not be a comma before "and" in the following sentence: "Groaning, he completely undresses, and stands naked in front of the window..." (location 128 of 641 • 20%)

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 11:17 am by Emy Katherine.

HRichards

I normally wouldn't have picked this book up since the summary didn't really interest me. Having read the sample I won't be continuing on with the book since the content didn't really appeal to me. The sample deals with Adam, who is in distress physically and seems concerned with making it through the night as he oozes a rust colored liquid. The content then shifts to Adam's antagonistic relationship with his parents, who he does not seem happy with. The writing is fine and I didn't notice any grammar errors. Those who like science fiction might like this book. I wasn't really interested in the content of the book. I read the OBC review of the book, but I still feel like the content isn't to my taste.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 11:29 am by HRichards.

Lunastella

The reviews for this book are mixed, but this is not the reason why I wouldn't read it. The cover transmits this is, clearly, a fantasy or dark fantasy story, which is a genre I rarely enjoy. The blurb is well written but the story doesn't appeal to me and I feel that the topic of scientists chasing people with supernatural abilities has been explored time and time again. From first impressions, I wouldn't read the book.
I read the first ten pages but they didn't change my mind. I think the major asset of the novel, as far as I could tell, was a mastery of the use of the English language. This is, unfortunately, a double-edged sword in a novel intended for young adults. On the plus side, it gives the reader fascinating descriptions, such as "The wind fights with the trees and they fight back". Unfortunately, I don't think the use of "complex" vocabulary such as "ictal" or "psithurism" is appropriate or appealing for teens or even adults (I had to look up both words!). Another thing I liked is the insight Adam has about how society just wants you to blend in and how authenticity "is cause for immediate crucifixion". Parts like this make me think there's a deeper level to the story that I might be missing, but I still don't feel compelled to read it. The book seems to be professionally edited and it has an official review but it didn't change my mind.
I don't think the novel needs improvements. If anything, maybe adding a glossary for the more complex lexicon might make the reading experience enjoyable and easier.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 11:34 am by Lunastella.

gen_g

I have come across a positive review of this book, and it has piqued my interest. There are a couple of errors present. At 1% in the sample, there is a missing hyphen to mark a compound modifier: "...rust(-)scented liquid oozes...". I would suggest more editing. The author seems to have used defamiliarisation as a technique, by referring to blood as the "rust-scented ooze". Also, it seems as if Adam does not have a good relationship with his father, as he cusses out his father when the latter makes him follow his mother's yelled orders for him to eat his breakfast. However, I will not be buying the book today, as I'm currently not in the market for supernatural fantasy fiction.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 11:59 am by gen_g.

Katie Canedy

I chose to read this book based on the customer reviews on Amazon.com. They were mostly 4 and 5 stars, so I wanted to give it a try. I liked how the author presents Adam & Carly's story; I think that this will make for an interesting romance. I want to see how this develops, and I plan on reading purchasing and reading this book. I didn't see any grammatical errors in the sample that were worth noting. I cannot think of anything that I dislike nor anything for the author to improve in Opaque; it looks great so far! The Official OnlineBookClub review was simple and straightforward, and it made me more excited to read this title.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 12:26 pm by Katie Canedy.

Laura Bach

The cover and the title didn't interest me much, but the review made a great first impression. However, the sample was not to my liking. I was waiting for something exciting to happen, but it didn't. Adam seems like a special boy in this so-called perfect world. I expected a fast-paced beginning, so I felt let down. I won't continue reading because the sample didn't convince me. It's professionally edited.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 1:40 pm by Laura Bach.

MsH2k

Based on the cover, title, and genre, I would not have sampled this book if I had not been part of this program. I don’t enjoy books with a fantasy/supernatural theme, and the cover looks like it would be this type of story. The sample pages were fast paced and interesting. The author described both the setting and Adam’s thoughts well. I was uncomfortable with his obsession with his mother, and I was glad to read in the featured OnlineBookClub review that he found a new friend who helped him navigate his mutation. I will not buy this book because I don’t enjoy the dark storyline. I noticed an unnecessary comma at loc 177: The quiet[,] but modestly wealthy city has a population of approximately 4,000.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 2:09 pm by MsH2k.

LeDiplomatique

I would not have picked Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign based on the title and cover picture because I am not a fan of YA Sci-Fi. After reading the first ten, I concluded that this was not my kind of book. However, I found the character of Adam very fascinating. I came across one error at location 140 - His rustic bedroom is dark, except the light seeping in from the supermoon. I did not see anything to be improved. I came across an official review. It was well-written but it did not change my mind about the book.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 2:38 pm by LeDiplomatique.

Kajori50

'Opaque' is a book written by Calix Leigh-Reign. The title, cover, OBC review and Amazon review did a good job at convincing me to give this book a try.

The sample of the book leads me to believe that it is a YA fiction. Adam lives in Puire City. The sixteen-year-old Adam has a darkness inside of him. He has an unnatural attraction towards his mother and detests society along with his father. I like the way the author uses present tense to depict Adam's innermost thoughts. I found some errors. The preposition “of" should not have been used in “..He depends of his detestable thoughts..” I do not think that it is professionally edited. I will give this book a try as I like reading books of this genre.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 3:31 pm by Kajori50.

espo

Before reading the sample, I knew I would not be reading this book. The main reason for that is that I do not enjoy reading book series, especially science-fiction ones. The blurb successfully summarizes the plot and, accompanied by the cover, makes for an inviting premise to the book. The book has several editorial reviews, but only one customer review. Although this did not have an impact on my decision to not choose to read the book, I imagine that it would perhaps refrain other readers who might be interested in the genre from buying it.
Reading the first ten pages did not change my mind: if anything, it reinforced my initial opinion of not being interested in the book. The main reason for that is that the book mentions the main character’s incestuous feelings for his mother. Incest is a theme that I don’t wish to engage with. However, the book seems to be professionally edited as I did not come across any typo. My favorite thing about the first ten pages is the author’s writing style, which conveys the main character’s feelings in a straightforward way. I did not find any room for improvement within the first ten pages: the book simply does not comply with my personal reading taste. The book has a featured official review from the Online Book Club community, but that did not affect my decision in any way.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 4:29 pm by espo.

B Creech

I just finished reading this book a few days ago. I didn't choose to read it based on the title or cover. I decided to read it after reading the official review. This is not a genre I would typically read, but after I read the review, I was intrigued. I found the book well-edited. My one complaint about the story is the missing girl Terri. Adam hid what happened at his 'Den'and never told anyone. Also, when Carly found the 'Den,' she connected the dots but never said anything. It was like the entire incident was shrugged off, and there was no accountability. Other than that fact, I have to say I enjoyed the book and will recommend it to others. Since I already have the book and have recently read it, I will not be purchasing it today to read again.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 4:58 pm by B Creech.

Kelyn

Even if I had not been a member of this program, it is extremely likely that the cover and title of this book would have had me picking it up almost instantly. Both the cover and the title simply scream "sci-fi," post-apocalyptic, or dystopian. The latter two happen to be my favorite genres. The genre, of course, would have confirmed this. The author is not one I am familiar with, so that would not have played into my interest. The customer reviews, including the one from this program, were very positive. This further enhanced my interest in the book. The sample, frankly, was difficult for me to read. The language is written in a style that, to me, seemed very stilted and forced. I attributed part of this to the fact that much of it was coming from Adam's mind and might indicate the disturbance and disconnects, as well as the physical and mental changes he was feeling/undergoing. That didn't make the actual reading any easier, however. I really, really wanted to like the book because the storyline and plot are right up my alley. It has, in fact, been on my virtual bookshelf to read for several months now. I loved that it started off from the first line with Adam's disjointed thoughts. It gave an immediate feel for the character. Unfortunately, I had to weigh what I liked against the fact that the odd and stilted language had me feeling as if I had to drag myself through the first ten pages. I just don't think I could make it through an entire novel written this way. Because of that, I very reluctantly decided not to continue the book. The book seemed well-edited. I found no countable errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 5:22 pm by Kelyn.

unamilagra

Before sampling this book, I probably would not have picked it up. The OBC review was very positive, but I am not generally into the superhero/mutant storylines. In reading the first ten pages, I found myself completely lost as to what was going on with Adam either physically or emotionally. I would have liked to see the scene set a little more clearly. Either way, I'm not interested in reading about an angsty teenager, so I don't plan to continue reading this book. I didn't notice any errors in the pages I read.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 6:15 pm by unamilagra.

LV2R

The book cover and title are both good, though the boy’s eyes are a bit scary and angry looking. The Amazon blurb described the book to be about Adam and Carly, two 16-year-olds, who are finding out that they have supernatural abilities. They are descendants of extinct Russian bloodlines that the Iksha want to get rid of. I wanted to read the sample. The first ten pages began with a note from the author, who expressed that “there is hope for all seemingly troubled young adults.” I like this the best because of the beginning descriptions of Adam was that of a troubled youth who had dark thoughts and called people “animals” in his mind. I can be hopeful that Adam will probably get out of his darkness. The book may not be edited well because I noticed a few commas missing in the Acknowledgements. One is at location 46: “Adam was born on January 18, 2016 and I knew from the first paragraph that he’d flourish under the sun.” (Adam was born on January 18, 2016, and I knew…) Another example is at location 46: “Through the very worst imaginable circumstances, you’ve been by my side and I know that I wouldn’t be who I am…” (... you’ve been by my side, and I know…) The OBC review mentioned that Adam met Carly, and she saved him from his destructive tendencies and revealed that he was mutated with special powers. The characters were developed well, and the story had a good plot with twists. I want to read this book because I want to know more about Adam and Carly’s relationship and their powers.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 9:52 pm by LV2R.

sanjus

In case I had not sampled the first ten pages, I would have still got the idea that this book may be a science fiction story by looking at its cover and title, and all this would have made me think of considering this book to read. Fortunately enough, the official review gave me a much clearer idea about the book and piqued my interest in it. After reading the first ten pages, I realized that this book is professionally edited. However, the writing language is somewhat different though I could easily understand it. For example, the sentence "The vicious cycle frustrates his thoughts from optimism into pessimism." would have been acceptable if it was reported speech, but since it is in the narration, it appeared to be a bit strange. The sentence could have been "The vicious cycle frustrated him, and his thoughts shifted from optimism to pessimism." Though the world-building was adequate, I felt the character introduction, especially of Adam's, should be at the very beginning to enable me to invest in it. I will not buy and read this book today but will wait until I finish my priority reading list.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 11:19 pm by sanjus.

Shrabastee

The cover and the blurb were interesting. However, after reading the official OBC review, I did not feel drawn to the book. The first ten pages, although written in a flawless manner, did not appeal to me. Adam's monologues featuring his discomfort at being different as well as the inappropriate thoughts and longings for his mother made me not like this book. I am going to skip this one.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2020, at 11:22 pm by Shrabastee.

VernaVi

Had I not sampled this book through the First Ten program, I would not have picked it up because the cover seems kind of creepy to me. For this reason I don’t intend to buy and read the whole book today. Based on what I read this book seems to be professionally edited. The error I saw in the first ten pages was minor. It was a missed comma at location 7% of sample, “She’s ignoring his scowl[,] and that only aggravates him.” What I liked most about what I read was the way just a wink from his mother could bring a smile to a usually scowling Adam. Readers who enjoy stories featuring mutations, learning to deal with differences, and romance will like this book. As far as improvements, I could see no need for any in what I read, as well as based on the description of the book and its premise. I did read the Official Online Book Club review and found it informative. It didn’t change my individual opinion of the book.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2020, at 1:27 am by VernaVi.

Washboard

I sometimes enjoy reading YA novels. The title and cover art are both eye-catching. The official review makes the book sound appealing. I didn't notice any errors in my reading, which introduces the teenage Adam and his sexual attraction to his mother. I won't be continuing to read this one, as I don't think I want to read more of a story that potentially contains incest.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2020, at 2:56 am by Washboard.

AvidBibliophile

The cover art is mesmerizingly mystical, with a nearly palpable, hypnotic ferocity. I was surprised to see that the Amazon product description was only reviewer quotes; I expected to at least encounter a summary statement or paragraph about the plot, but various quoted excerpts mentioned persuasive attributes like: "extinct Russian bloodlines... elite group of murderous scientists... psychological powers and supernatural abilities." The writing style starts out strong, and I was greatly impressed by the imagery and descriptive terminology used to describe Adam's uniquely (albeit disturbingly) triggered seizure episode. I resonated strongly with the frustrated acceptance he displays to a text alert because I too have known the same realization of circumstances portrayed in the statement: "It doesn't matter who it is because he knows who it isn't." This book appears to have been professionally edited. The 11 published OBC reviews all seem positive in tone and recommendation. I also appreciated seeing the variety and range of honest impressions provided by the 51 currently posted Amazon user ratings. I don't often read titles classified within the Young Adult or Fantasy genres, but the sociopathic tendencies of this main character have intrigued me thus far, and I will gladly continue reading onward to see what else unfolds.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2020, at 7:02 pm by AvidBibliophile.

Ekta Kumari

The book is the first installment in the Scion Saga series. This YA fantasy is centered around mutated humans who are descendants from seven Russian families and are gifted with biokenretic abilities. Adam, a 16-year old teenager, has just gained these abilities and is typical for his age with his erratic nature. But when he meets Carly, his whole world turns upside down, and both of them embark on a journey where they discover their abilities and the consequences of it as they face constant danger from a group of scientists, Iksha, who wants their supernatural powers. I found the concept imaginative but wouldn't have read the book as I wasn't interested in reading a YA fantasy. I did like the cover page, though. The thing I liked the most in the sampling is the author's skill at establishing the plot and the characters. I like how the author portrays Adam's character through his thoughts. In fact, he seems quite relatable from the perspective of a teenager. I did find his thoughts for his mother rather troubling, but that, I think, is a part of his character sketch. I also liked that the narrative focuses on detailing the surroundings. The scenes were able to create vivid images in my mind. And that's always a plus point. As for the editing, I didn't find any significant errors in the portion I read. So, I would say the book is quite well edited. However, I did see an official review for this read. And the official review does mention it to have errors. So, maybe there are errors in the later parts of the book. Lastly, I wouldn't be reading the book any further as I'm not into the genre.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2020, at 9:49 pm by Ekta Kumari.

Melchi Asuma

"Darkness and light cannot occupy the same space at the same time, so I’ve always known that one had to die in order for the other to thrive."
I loved the introduction of this book. The cover page is also attractive as is the title. The official review highly praised it and I found no grammatical errors hence I concluded that this book was professionally edited. I will read it

First Ten review added on February 2, 2020, at 10:46 pm by Melchi Asuma.

Juliana_Isabella

I might have chosen this book because I enjoy reading fiction, and I saw that it had a positive review. Unfortunately, I found a grammatical error in the very first sentence ("The rust scented liquid oozes from Adam’s nostrils as he focuses on the open window.") in which the phrase "rust scented liquid" should have been hyphenated (rust-scented liquid). The writing style made it very difficult for me to tell what was going on in the story, as I began by thinking he was being tortured and then was led to believe it was just hot in the bedroom. Because of this, I won't finish the book.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2020, at 11:08 pm by Juliana_Isabella.

evraealtana

The cover confused me, since to me it looks like a thriller/horror novel, where I was expecting a science fiction/fantasy novel based on the official OBC review. I was willing to give it a try even though I don't care for thrillers solely because of the review; otherwise, I wouldn't have chosen to pick it up. The first ten pages were interesting because of the depth and variety of Adam's inner conflicts, though at times I found the prose to be unnecessarily complicated (such as, what person feels a thrill in their "thorax"? "Chest" would have been not only sufficient but more natural). I loved that the author was willing to dig into the implications of incestuous desires, and I felt that they were expressed in a realistic but not overly simplistic way. I didn't get much sense of the plot in the first ten pages; it seemed mostly to be a character study of Adam, with not much to go on going forward. Based on that, I wouldn't have chosen to continue reading it on my own. Even though I know that there is more depth to come (again, based on the review), I still don't think I will continue with it because I detest romance novels, and it seems like Carly will introduce a strong romantic thread. I would hate to invest time and energy into a science fiction novel only to have it turn into a bodice-ripper halfway through. I noted one error in the first ten pages: an extraneous comma in "The campus is more like an intermediary college, than a high school."

First Ten review added on February 2, 2020, at 11:24 pm by evraealtana.

winecellarlibrary

I first heard about this book when it was announced as February's Book of the Month. I read the synopsis and looked at a few reviews and considered reading it. I read the Online Book Club review when this book was Book of the Day, and it was positive. I was interested in reading the book since I enjoy young adult fantasy novels. However, after reading the first ten pages, I will not be finishing the book. The main character, Adam, has a serious Oedipus complex; he desires his mother sexually and sees his own father as his rival, which makes me really uncomfortable. I also found a few errors in the text. The most glaring error was a misused word at Loc. 185: "Piure is nuzzled in a dehydrated valley just south of the Mojave Desert..." The correct word is "nestled," not "nuzzled." Stylistically, I would recommend writing out the word "16th" as "sixteenth" (Loc. 173). Lastly, there is an unnecessary comma following the name "Josh" in the following sentence at Loc. 312: "The cocky, golden-haired Josh, stands in front of the mirror..." Perhaps the Oedipus complex will be worked into the story in a meaningful way, but it was so jarring to read within the first few pages that I cannot continue this book.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2020, at 1:15 am by winecellarlibrary.

Jbcitygirl

I would not have chosen to sample this book based on the title and cover, but I am happy to admit that after I read the sample pages, I feel like I misjudged this book. The first section seems to be mostly angry and frustrated inner dialogue (I almost got a bit of serial killer vibe from it). I am curious to see how Carly will affect Adam positively. Adam doesn’t come across as very likable, but I still want to know what will happen. There is nothing I would recommend improving. The book appears to be professionally edited, and the official OnlineBookClub review confirmed that I will be adding this book to my reading list.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2020, at 1:27 am by Jbcitygirl.

jeminah28

I found numerous Amazon reviews and OBC reviews, which convince me to give this book a try. I sampled the book for the sake of participating the book of the month discussion. This is not the genre I usually read because I have had tough times on deciphering the subject matter. The first ten pages look great, Adam is a teenage boy, often times lost in daydreaming. I didn't find any typos in the bit I read, the book looks professionally edited. I like Adam's favorite part of the day, which is to be with his mother, savoring her mother's presence soothes him. I will continue on reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2020, at 2:14 am by jeminah28.

Howlan

I loved the cover and the synopsis. It has precisely the thrill and mystery I look for in a book, so I would buy this book even before reading it. I am a huge fan of young adult mystery, and so this book caught my attention right on. The first ten pages do not provide the reader with much of an interpretation of the story. It starts with Adam as a bit of dark and narcissistic and all his actions point him out as the bad fellow. Right from his unnatural desire for his mother and his treatments of his other classmates. Even after what he did to Terry makes the readers see him in the wrong colour. But the thrill and mystery hanging in the air draw you right in, and it makes this book a genuine page-turner. I would buy and read this whole book. No typos were found in the first ten pages. The Official Review is present, and the reviewer rates it highly.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2020, at 3:26 am by Howlan.

Total ~ 32%

Opaque earned a score of 32%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 32% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Opaque

https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/authors/blurb.php?topic_id=129687&bookid=30237