Cover for E M P Honeymoon

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for E M P Honeymoon: Kelly & Tom

Because E M P Honeymoon was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book as I do not think this is my genre. I think the font for the title could be better and more suited to the high-tech vibe of the book. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The writing could be better. For example, in this line "She had no idea it concealed a strange high-tech lab behind which an expensive vehicle was parked next to a shipping container" I felt like it could have been an entire scene that could add more tension. I also think this sentence just did not read fluidly and maybe more editing could have made the sentence structure less confusing.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2019, at 4:45 am by psychopathycathy.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

MrunalT

If I had judged the book by its over or title, I would have never picked this one up. The title is confusing without knowing the meaning of E-M-P. The cover does not help much either. On reading the reviews though, I was intrigued. The story seemed like a Bollywood movie I had watched. When I sampled the first few pages, my interest was spiked. The teaser was the highlight for me. I would want to know what was happening in the lab and what would compel a couple to work against terrorists on their honeymoon. The language seemed easy and overall the book seems well-edited. It is a rather short read and I am intrigued enough to read the book. My only concern was with the number of characters being introduced right at the start. I hope each has an important role, and they get easy to remember as the story progresses.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2019, at 4:41 am by MrunalT.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Vickie Noel

I most likely wouldn't have read this book outside the program. The title isn't moving, neither is the cover page attention-grabbing. I couldn't have fathomed what the book was all about just by looking at it, and thus, my interest would have lain fallow. I couldn't have been more wrong. The story is every bit my kind of book. Kick-starting with action, rich dialogue and vivid setting descriptions. The teaser served its function and spiked me attention immediately. Imagine how, after bragging about owning "the greatest military force in the history of the planet," someone "across the oceans, on the other side of the planet," promises that "soon, the tiny little mouse is going to take down that big old fat elephant." Wouldn't that be a sight to see? Then Kelly's frantic call to Senator Mike her brother spelled danger, all that I needed to bury myself into the read. I must say that Mercer has really improved on her writing skills in comparison to the first book. I didn't find any grammatical errors, save for a few omitted commas, or any cause for complaint whatsoever. Curiousity, they say, kills the cat. I wonder how Kelly gets out of that debacle. I saw an OBC review which didn't completely pique my interest, but the sample achieved that for me quite alright.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2019, at 4:16 am by Vickie Noel.

Fuzaila

The cover could have been a lot more better. The title didn't really grab me, but the reviews and blurb were appealing. The official review gave away nothing about the plot, but really sparked my interest. It didn't say anything about the editing, but I found an error in the sample, a question framed as "Who is they?" instead of "Who are they?". It gave me indication that the book needs to be proofread again. I liked how the story starts off with a suspense. The prologue was chilling, with Mike trying to gauge what his sister meant to convey to him. It was funny he didn't know where his sister went for her honeymoon. I liked how the strange power grid is described, but it was even stranger that it was built in the back of a shop where any customer like Kelly could get through. Or maybe it was a trap. There wasn't anything I disliked. The suspense and intrigue has made me hungry for more, so I'd like to read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2019, at 12:25 am by Fuzaila.

Jbcitygirl

I would have chosen to sample this book based on my curiosity about the title. I really liked the author’s writing style and thoroughly enjoyed the sample. I liked Kelly and felt an emotional connection to her almost immediately. The story is fast paced and exciting. I didn’t dislike the title, but it is somewhat misleading, as some people might expect to find more of a romance between the pages, so if I had to recommend an improvement, it would be that. The book does appear to be professionally edited, and the official OnlineBookClub review was excellent. I am definitely adding this book to my reading list.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 11:25 pm by Jbcitygirl.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I wouldn't pick this book up because it sounds similar to other books I have read in the past with the terrorist plot and mystery. I definitely think the premise sounds fun and intriguing, but it's not really what I'm interested in reading right now. After reading the first ten pages, I spotted a few errors. In the teaser, "...President Gerard Bigelow stepped to the mike." The word "mike" is a name and this should be replaced with "mic" or the whole word microphone. In the prelude, there was a formatting error with the font size. When Kelly called her brother Mike, the font size in the first sentence was much bigger than the rest of the text. I think the book can be improved with fixing up these typos and formatting mistakes. I liked how the book began with the action. Kelly calling her brother Mike in a panic and stating that something bad was happening is a great way to start the story. It gives the reader a sense of danger and foreboding and wanting to know what is going to happen. There was an onlinebookclub review. However, the review confirms my decision to not want to read this book because I've read similar books in the past. I want to read something different.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 10:49 pm by CrescentMoon.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read pure romance books and do not normally read action. However, the book had a 4/4 OBC review, which gave me a good impression. However, the cover seemed a little simple (with the images of a couple, the earth and an aircraft). Having read the sample, I thought that the introductory section was short but sufficient. The fact that the book had only 16 chapters made it seem easy and quick to read. In terms of language, the book was simple to follow. However, in terms of formatting, I found the variations in text sizes distracting. The first paragraph in the prelude was in a much larger font size than the rest of the paragraphs. Further, the difference in the font sizes between the chapter headings and the text was rather large. Other than this, I did not find any grammatical or formatting errors in the sample. Further, I thought that the author introduced Mike and Kelly's characters well. The book seemed light-hearted and easy to read. However, I do not usually read this genre, and hence, I will not be buying this book today.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 10:30 pm by AA1495.

OliviaLouise

Based on the review, I felt skeptical about the plausibility of a civilian tourist stumbling upon a terrorist cell in Honduras. After reading the sample, I felt that the story was not believable because of how quickly the characters react based on little or no information. I felt that the assumptions by Kelly’s husband and brother that she had stumbled upon something big were not very realistic. I didn’t find any editing errors, but the lack of plot and character development has put me off this one. I won’t be reading the rest.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 9:54 pm by OliviaLouise.

Nisha Ward

I didn't read the review for this and, quite honestly, if it wasn't for this program I wouldn't be interested in the book. Still, I gave it a try and immediately found several missing punctuation marks starting from the front matter and copyright material. I will say that Miss Mercer's got a mildly interesting plot with Kelly's run-in with the terrorists in Honduras, but I was still bored reading it. I'm going to pass on this one.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 9:04 pm by Nisha Ward.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I would not have picked up this book because the cover looks unprofessional. The Amazon blurb was short and sweet. The first ten pages were well-edited. The book definitely begins with a bang, you can help but feel the stress Kelly must be in. Unfortunately, I do not think the plot is unique enough to make me want to read the rest. I did not read any OBC review. I think the author can improve the cover and add some unique elements to the plot to make this book stand out.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 8:44 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Ekta Kumari

The book is about a couple, Kelly McBride and Tom Turbulo, while they are on their honeymoon on a Caribbean resort island. Unfortunately, Kelly lands into trouble one day while she is shopping. This ultimately makes her and Tom get caught up in an international terrorist scheme. The storyline explores what this threat is and what will eventually happen to Kelly and Tom. I found the concept of the storyline quite intriguing, but there seemed to be a lot of action involved in the story. That's why I wouldn't have read the book based on its cover, title, or reviews as I prefer a slow-paced suspense over a fast-paced action thriller. Though, the book packs quite a punch when it comes to quick plot development. The story develops fast. The book starts with a heart-pounding moment, grabbing the reader's attention, and goes on to detail Kelly's unfortunate encounter while she was out shopping in a small shop. Moreover, I find the portrayal of the characters to be realistic rather than idealistic, and that's definitely a good point. The thing I liked most was the quick development of events. For an action novel, the book has an ideal start. As for the editing, I didn't find any major error in the portion I read. So, I would rate the book as professionally edited. I did see an official review for this book. Lastly, I wouldn't be reading the whole book as I don't think I'll enjoy it due to my preference for slow-moving suspense and intrigue.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 8:24 pm by Ekta Kumari.

desantismt_17

This book’s title made me curious. The description didn’t hook me. This sounded like a political thriller, which isn’t really something I enjoy reading. Before sampling, I wasn’t thinking about reading. After sampling, I’ll pass. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed no errors. The opening didn’t grab me. I have a tough time getting invested in characters or situations when the book starts in a desperate situation. The panicked phone call in the prelude just left me wondering who these people were and why I should care. The desperation continued in chapter one with Kelly praying and moving stealthily through her house, hoping no one noticed she was home. The desperate feeling didn’t let up, and I never really got into what was happening. A less desperate, but still tension-filled, beginning would have worked better for me. Other readers may feel differently. I didn’t see an OnlineBookClub.org review, but I doubt one would have changed my mind.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 5:43 pm by desantismt_17.

wordslinger42

I strongly dislike reading romance novels, so I did not think that I would enjoy the sample based on the genre, and my opinion is the same after reading it. I did appreciate that the dialogue was very realistic and that the book seems professionally edited. I noticed no errors, and that was very refreshing. However, I felt no connection to the characters because the story rushes right into the action, and I think the book would benefit from a little more back story, perhaps in the form of a prologue. I saw a review that gave the novel four stars, but my opinion remains the same. While the story has potential, it did not appeal to me, and I will not be buying the book.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 4:39 pm by wordslinger42.

unamilagra

Before sampling this book, I may have picked it up. I enjoy fast-paced thrillers, and the OBC review made it sound like a good one. In reading the first ten pages, I liked that I was drawn into action immediately. I'm curious to see what happens to Kelly, and what it has to do with her senator brother. Kelly seems like a likable character, even if she doesn't seem to have the best judgment. I do think I will continue reading this book. I didn't notice any errors in the pages I read.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 3:40 pm by unamilagra.

tristenb

This is a book I was planning on reading anyway, since it's Book of The Month. However, it's not likely a book that I would pick up on my own. I often feel like these types of stories are very unrealistic. After reading the first ten pages, I'm intrigued enough by the story to keep on reading. I liked that the suspense was built in just a few short pages. However, that's also one thing that I didn't like since I don't know who the characters are yet. The review that I read also highly praised the book. I can attest that it is well edited as well. The one thing that I don't understand is the title or the cover of the book. It doesn't seem to go with the plot, but I could be surprised.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 9:59 am by tristenb.

gen_g

I have come across a positive review of this book, and it has piqued my interest. There are quite a number of errors present: at 6% in the sample, "...his wife, first lady, Janette Bigelow..." should be "...his wife, First Lady Janette Bigelow...", as the sentence is using "first lady" as a title, and hence, it should be capitalised, with the comma in between "lady" and "Janette" removed. I would suggest that the book be sent for more editing, as well as to insert line breaks in between paragraphs to facilitate ease of reading. The story certainly starts off with a bang, which did help me become more immersed. Kelly, Senator Mike McBride's younger sister, accidentally stumbled on what seems to be a secret lab plotting for the USA's downfall whilst on her honeymoon with her new husband. The senator also receives a mystifying call from his sister to save her, and before he can get more information, she has to hang up. However, I will not be buying the book today, as the grammar errors are distracting.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 8:58 am by gen_g.

Aditi Sapate

I would have chosen to read this book based on the cover and genre, as I like mystery and thriller books. From the official OnlineBookClub review for the book, I found out that this book isn't a suspenseful thriller, but is a good entertainer. While reading the sample, I found myself interested in reading the scientific information in the book, like the coronal mass ejection (CME). I will continue reading the book, as I have taken it up for review. The book so far, contains no grammatical errors. I also couldn't find anything that can be improved yet, but it will be updated in my review.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 6:36 am by Aditi Sapate.

cristinaro

The title is unusual and draws the attention of potential readers, but the cover could have been better. Solely based on the cover, I wouldn't have sampled this book. However, the Amazon blurb describes the book as a page-turner, and the 5 cutomer reviews all give it 5 stars. I generally prefer psychological thrillers, but I also like reading quick, light-hearted stories such as the one described by the OBC reviewer in the case of this novel. The sample itself and the OBC reviewer's comments convinced me that I'd enjoy spending one afternoon with this fast-paced action novel that includes good humor, realistic scenes and shifting perspectives. The sample was error-free except for a minor typo: "acivities" instead of "Activities" (70% of Sample). The storyline was easy to follow, so it managed to keep me tuned in and anxious to read more about the outcome of Kelly and Tom's honeymoon in Honduras. I've already purchased it and added it it to my reading list.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 3:57 am by cristinaro.

VernaVi

Had I not sampled this book through the First Ten program, I would have picked it up to read because it is the Book of the Month for Online Book Club, and because I liked the cover. For these reasons, I do intend to acquire and read the whole book. Reading the first ten pages confirmed my first impressions of this book. It is an action-adventure with a spy edge to it. Based on what I read, the book does not seem professionally edited. I found errors in the first few paragraphs at 9% of the sample, “Cameras swung onto the president and his wife, first lady[should be capitalized], Janette Bigalow, as they entered hand in hand. Gerard smiled broadly[,] waving at the crowd, strolling across the stage and pointing from time to time.” What I liked most about what I read was the way the action began in the book right away. I know that readers who enjoy espionage and terrorism in a plot will enjoy this book. As far as improvements, aside from some light proofreading for minor errors, I could see no need for any in what I read. I did read the Official Online Book Club review and found it helpful.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2019, at 2:51 am by VernaVi.

Kajori50

'E-M-P Honeymoon' is a book written by Dorothy May Mercer. The title, cover, OBC review and Amazon review did a good job at convincing me to give this book a try.

The sample of the book leads me to believe that it is thriller. Tom and Kelly Turbulo are newlyweds honeymooning in a Caribbean Island. There, they happen upon a ready terrorist plot. I like the fast-paced premise. I found some errors. The sentence construction is faulty in “..nor did anyone much care..” I do not think that it is professionally edited. I will give this book a try as I like reading books of this genre.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 10:11 pm by Kajori50.

Juliana_Isabella

I probably wouldn't have chosen this book because I don't usually read action novels, but I was intrigued by the positive review. I liked the action-packed first scene with Kelly calling her brother, but I found a compound sentence missing a comma on page 2 ("The audience knew when to cheer and the president was an expert at working the crowd."). In addition, when the perspective switched to Kelly in the house, the timeline began to jump a lot from her presently in the house to previously on the tour bus to before that with her husband. This confused me and pulled me out of the story, so I don't plan to finish the book.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 9:42 pm by Juliana_Isabella.

AvidBibliophile

The cover art would lead me to initially believe two American teenage astronauts find themselves falling in love on a space rocket, as they leave their earthling counterparts diminishing in the rearview. However, the Amazon product description quickly informed me my visual assumptions were misdirected. In the Teaser section of the book, I read that President Bigelow "stepped to the mike" instead of (mic). As a female tourist, I'd probably be equally as likely to wander off from the tour bus, enchanted by the hypnotic, cultural sights and sounds. And with a storefront featuring dozens of tiny pigs, I'd be equally relaxed by the unassuming appearance of La Pocilga. It was nice to be able to identify with one of the first main characters presented. At Location 147, a comma needs to be added into: "Arms laden(,) she looked..." but it otherwise appears to have been a professionally edited novel. At Location 248, I am perplexed by why Mike typed to Tom "Hang up. I'll call u" during a brief string of shared text messages; Tom was on no call to hang up from? With 10 full-star OBC reviews, and an additional 5 perfect Amazon user ratings to support them, other readers have clearly found this to be a worthwhile title. So with my own "curiosity overcoming caution," consider me fully caught up in the promise of devouring the international intrigue to come. I will be continuing this tale.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 9:34 pm by AvidBibliophile.

HRichards

I normally wouldn't have picked this book up since I wasn't really intrigued by the summary or cover art in particular. Having read the sample I won't be continuing on with the book since the plot didn't really appeal to me. The sample deals with Mike getting a panicked call from his sister who is on her honeymoon claiming that they are under attack. The action then cuts to Kelly, who has locked herself in her room after getting separated from her tour group and nearly getting kidnapped when she witnesses a high tech van. The writing is fine and I didn't notice any grammar errors. Those who like mystery and adventure might like this book. I'm not really interested in the plot, which doesn't really appeal to me. I read the OBC review of the book and am still not convinced that this book would appeal to me.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 8:18 pm by HRichards.

LV2R

The book cover and title are both OK, but I did not know what EMP meant. The Amazon blurb summarized the book, as Kelly McBride and Sgt. Tom Turbulo were married and on a Caribbean honeymoon. Kelly ran into trouble and was threatened harm by a man. Kelly and Tom get caught up in a dangerous international plot that may result in North America getting blown up. The sample began with Kelly calling her brother, Mike frantically and fearfully, as she had seen something terrifying. Kelly had gone on a tour bus to look around the island’s shops while Tom was on a diving trip. Kelly wandered off and saw a secret computer lab. She was almost caught and narrowly escaped. I best liked that the book began with Kelly calling her brother in fear and panic because this made the reader want to keep reading to find out why she was afraid and what had she seen. The book may not be edited well, as I noticed several errors. At location 78, there are some extra spaces and lines. “’ Mike? Mike, it’s me. Mike, (two empty lines) something’s going on here,’ said a soft (two empty lines) feminine voice, ...” At location 90: “Who is they?” (Who are they?) At location 123: “... she then drew aside one corner ...” (... she then drew aside to one corner...) The OBC review mentioned that the story was fast-paced and light-hearted. The third-person perspectives were used well. I want to read this book because I want to see if Tom and Kelly can find out a way to stop the terrorists and at the same time have a good honeymoon. I like to read fast-paced action stories.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 7:17 pm by LV2R.

Mbrooks2518

I enjoy action stories like this one and the plot interests me, so I would have read the sample even without The First Ten. I like that while it has an action filled plot, it is still a lighter read, according to the official review. I'm sure that I will enjoy this book, so I'm going to buy it. I found no editing errors, and there is nothing that needs to be improved.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 6:46 pm by Mbrooks2518.

Momiji1987

Kelly and Tom finally found a cheap place to honeymoon, but then everything goes haywire. President Bigelow had Just proclaimed his great military budget when General Lee said, “not for long.” Now, Kelly and her husband are caught up in the fray. The review mentioned the book is short and fast-paced, which is a plus. The criticism was that some parts near the end lacked detail. I’m not really a fan of apocalyptic stories or huge attacks, so I’ll probably skip for now. I didn’t see any errors, so the book is well-edited.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 5:29 pm by Momiji1987.

evraealtana

I wouldn't have picked this book up because the cover looks a little sloppy and because I didn't care for "Cynthia and Dan", the only other book that I have seen by this author. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the first ten pages. I loved the inclusion of the teaser at the beginning of the book because it immediately laid out the larger picture and created a dramatic opening to the story that made me want to know the outcome. The official OBC review confirms that the author maintains this pace throughout the text, which I appreciated. I found it a little far-fetched that a senator's sister would be in a foreign country without a body guard, allowed to just stroll around and stumble on international crime, but there may be a reason for that that the author just hasn't explained yet. I don't care for drama/thriller novels, so I will pass on this one, but because it seems so well-written I think it would be perfect for a fan of the genre. I noted two errors: who/whom confusion in "Who can I trust?"; and a missing comma in "Arms laden she looked around for the clerk."

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 5:12 pm by evraealtana.

Nickolas Farmakis

I would have sampled this book, as the book cover and the title seem intriguing, while I also liked the book's description. I will read this book, as I was very engaged by it, due to the tension created by the author. I like books that have mystery/crime, while I find books filled with suspense very interesting, therefore I will read this book. The book is professionally edited, as I did not locate any errors in the book. What I liked most in the book were the techniques used by the author, such as dialogue and cliffhangers, that create tension, drama, and suspense. To improve, the author should attempt to be more realistic in his description of the events of the novel. The book had an Official OnlineBookClub review, however this did not affect my opinion.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 4:48 pm by Nickolas Farmakis.

CataclysmicKnight

I was intrigued by this book from the moment I saw it. The combination of romance (which I'm not typically a fan of) with space and an EMP threat would've been enough to make me look into it whether it was the book of the day or not.

So far I'm enjoying the book. It begins with a tense situation, backs up a bit, and plays it out more clearly. All three parts of this are tense, from the lead woman fearing for her life when she stumbles across a secret lab to a conversation with her senator brother. I didn't see any grammatical errors at all and the writing is very smooth. While I don't need to read an OBC review to make my decision, hearing that it received a perfect 4-star score did help: I want to read the rest of this book sometime!

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 4:15 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Kelyn

If I had not been a member of this program, it is only slightly likely that I might have picked up this book. The cover and title lend it a sci-fi feel, and that is a genre I enjoy, so that might have caught my attention. The actual genre of action/mystery would have actively turned me away from the book, as I know from past experience that I do not usually enjoy books with those themes. I am unfamiliar with the author, so that would not have influenced my decision. The blurb and positive customer reviews confirmed that the book was an action/mystery type book and further discouraged me from reading it. Reading the sample did not change my mind in the slightest about not continuing to read the book. Although the plot has an interesting twist of events taking place on the main character's honeymoon, the sample content and the author's writing style simply did not hold my interest. The book did seem well-edited. I found no errors in the first ten pages.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 3:54 pm by Kelyn.

MsH2k

Had I not actually sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would not have chosen to read or sample this book even though it is an upcoming BOM. I rarely read books in the romance genre. It turns out, after reading the sample, that I will finish this book. The sample pages moved quickly and showed that it included a suspense element and was more than a romantic read. The official OnlineBookClub review stated that the whole book moved just as quickly as the sample pages. I have read another book by this author and enjoy her style in a light read. I did not notice any grammatical errors in the sample pages.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 3:51 pm by MsH2k.

Jsovermyer

The cover art and title are interesting, but they make me think this is more of a romance than an action story. EMP Honeymoon is a fast-paced action novel about a honeymoon couple who find a terrorist group in Honduras who are plotting against the United States. The story is told from different characters point-of-view, including one of the terrorists. The most exciting part I read was when Kelly was shopping for souvenirs in the shop with little piggies and stumbled across a terrorist lab with maps of the United States power grides. She was lucky she escaped, but I wonder if the men will find her. I didn't like how Director Joseph Rench seemed so unconcerned and secretive about the danger Kelly might be facing in Honduras. The official review rated this book highly, and I agree it is well-written and easy to read. I found one word, "acivitiesChannel," at location 484 which I wasn't sure was correct. This story seems full of action, and I like the main characters, Kelly and Tom. I would like to finish this book in the next year.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 2:55 pm by Jsovermyer.

Washboard

I enjoy action stories, but not romance. The title and cover art gave me the impression that this would be a space-themed romance novel. The official review made it sound like it is more of an action story. The sample I read did not contain any errors, and jumped into action immediately. Kelly is already in danger and being chased by armed men after stumbling into the wrong store front and finding a sketchy lab while on her honeymoon in Honduras. I won't be continuing to read this one, since it is categorized as a romance.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 1:32 pm by Washboard.

Laura Bach

I thought this was going to be about a honeymoon in space. I learned that it's about terrorists from the review. I don't like that the cover is misleading. Because of my expectations, this book didn't raise up to my standards. President Gerard Bigelow gives a speech in Kansas while he is listened by Dear Leader and General Lee. In the Prelude, Senator Michael McBride gets a rather strange call from one of his sisters, Kelly, who is on her honeymoon with Tom. The sample was fast-paced, but it didn't convince me. I'm not going to continue reading this book because I don't think I will like it. I didn't find any grammar errors.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 1:18 pm by Laura Bach.

ritah

Based on the cover and title, I wouldn't have sampled the book because it didn't appeal to me. I read the official review and sampled E-M-P. I liked the teaser at the beginning and enjoyed the intensity and urgency in the prelude. I wondered who 'they' were and what 'they' planned to do; I also feared for Kelly's safety. The book appeared professionally edited and I saw no areas in need of improvement. I will be reading the rest of the book for the action and to satisfy my curiosity.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 1:01 pm by ritah.

Katie Canedy

I read the sample based on the artwork! I had no clue what to expect and I just had to get an idea about the book. I loved how the author wrote a story about honeymooners, and their discovery of a terrorist group. I have never seen a story with this kind of background, which is why I liked it. I plan on purchasing and reading this book too; I didn't want to put the sample down (and yes, I read more than just the first ten pages!). I didn't see a single grammar error in the sample. I don't think the author needs to do anything to improve her book. The Official OnlineBookClub Review was full of suspenseful details, which made me more excited to read E-M-P Honeymoon.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 12:53 pm by Katie Canedy.

Lunastella

I'm currently reviewing this book, so I'm sure I would've bought it if I hadn't gotten the free copy. I don't love the cover but I think the blurb is very catchy and all of the Amazon reviews are 5 stars, which is an amazing achievement. Having read the first ten pages just confirmed that I would have bought the book. I like very much Dorothy May Mercer's style and my favorite part is that she included a teaser to get the reader's attention instantly. The novel seems professionally edited and I didn't find any mistakes. It does have an official review, which is praising and I concur with the reviewer's assessment of the book. If anything could be improved, I would like to see more character depth but I think the author chose intentionally to focus on the action.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 12:04 pm by Lunastella.

Everydayadventure15

One of my all-time favorite book series involves an EMP that takes out earth’s technology, so I was very interested in this book by the title alone. Within the first ten pages, Kelly wanders into a gift shop that is cover for a secret lab. She’s in Honduras on her honeymoon, but her curiosity prevents her from sneaking into the lab. She gets caught and has to fight to get free. This uncommon way to start a honeymoon was an exciting way to start a book and I’m curious to know the extent of what Kelly has discovered in the lab since there was an intricate map of the power grid work of the US and Canada. The book appeared to be well-edited and the positive words in the OBC review further convinced me to read the rest of the book. Since it’s a short book and a quick read with an interesting premise, I am going to buy the book and read the rest of it.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 10:58 am by Everydayadventure15.

cpru68

Kelly makes a desperate phone call to her brother Mike McBride from Honduras as she is being pursued.

The book opens with the president of the United States giving a speech about how he has the largest military budget in history. His speech is being viewed by men from a foreign country who seem to think they will somehow overthrow him.

The scene then switches to Kelly in Honduras where she is on her honeymoon with her husband Tom. While he is out on a boat excursion, she takes a bus and goes into a tourist shop. She ends up going in the back of the shop and sees a room full of computers and high tech gadgets. She ends up being caught but breaks free and runs. She makes her call to her brother Mike but hangs up abruptly.

I will be finishing this book. I liked the fast pace of it, so I’m willing to give it a try. The review was helpful in making this decision because it specifically mentioned that it was light on “romantic” scenes. When a book is listed as romance, I am not sure how graphic it will be, so the information from the review was helpful.

I don’t really like the cover because it looks unprofessional, but that’s something that can be fixed. The reviewer gave this a 4 out of 4 stars without mention of any errors found. In location 78, in the Kindle edition, there is a huge gap between the first sentence and the second one. In location 232: She should not have wandered so far away from the tour bus, into a side street.

This should say, “onto” a side street.

In location 305: “Location” he said. This is missing a comma to close the dialogue.

Even though the reviewer made no mention of mistakes, it would be a good idea to fix these that I have listed here. I’m not sure if this was professionally edited. I feel like it wasn’t, but these changes will improve the novel.

Also, I felt like the note under chapter 1 giving instructions on how to get back to the table of contents was misplaced. If the author wants her reading audience to know this, put that in a note before the story starts. It feels like an interruption. While the information is good to know, the placement of it should be before the book begins.

I appreciate the opportunity to read this one. I generally don’t seek out this genre, so I probably wouldn’t have found it without the online book club. I will send it out on my social media for others to look into it.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 10:49 am by cpru68.

Emy Katherine

While celebrating their honeymoon in Honduras, a cop and his wife will find themselves in a dangerous situation when they accidentally discover a terrorist group is plotting an attack on U.S. soil. I enjoy reading romance novels, so I would have read the book based on the genre. The Amazon blurb piqued my interest, which increased after reading the sample and the OBC review. The story was told from multiple perspectives, and I enjoyed there was a great amount of action and suspense to keep me engaged from the very first page. I also appreciated both the fast-paced writing style and the engaging dialogues. Sadly, I am not sure the book was professionally edited; I found several distracting punctuation errors such as missing commas and misplaced quotation marks. For example, there should be a comma after "gone" in the following sentence: "Once the atmosphere is gone the earth would go into a deep freeze..." (location 659 of 784 • 84%)

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 10:26 am by Emy Katherine.

Theresam

I like the cover of this book. It caught my attention. I can’t tell the meaning of the title EMP. I can’t really tell what the book is about based on the cover alone, but the images caught my attention. I would have picked this book up based on the cover alone. I haven’t read a review of the book yet. The first ten pages start with a “teaser” where the President is giving a speech saying the United States will be spending more on military. The teaser then cuts to a General Lee and Dear Leader in a threatening scene. The story then jumps to Kelly who is on her honeymoon and stumbles upon a secret lab in Honduras. It seems like a fast paced mystery novel. I saw a few errors that lead me to believe the book was not professionally edited. For example, on the first page of the prelude the spacing is off between the lines. I think the story is interesting and I would like to finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2019, at 10:10 am by Theresam.

Total ~ 59%

E M P Honeymoon earned a score of 59%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 59% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for E M P Honeymoon

https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/authors/blurb.php?topic_id=129687&bookid=30237