Cover for The Promise

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for The Promise: A Perilous Journey

Because The Promise was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

OloladeO

Based on the cover and title, I would not have read the sample because I am not drawn to its genre. From the sample, the forest has always been an important part of the town because it seemed everybody (hunters, artists, historians, etc.) had good memories about it. Oddly, no one remembered a major fire that occurred inside it. Dave and Peter planned to go into the forest. It was their first opportunity after vacation. Peter had to help Dave clean his room so they could go into the forest on time. Their mother rewarded them with brownies for working together and doing a good job. The book seems edited. There was an OBC review on the book and the reviewer had good things to say about it. So I am sure those that favor its genre would find it entertaining. As for me, I would not be reading the rest of the book for the reason I stated earlier.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2019, at 5:00 am by OloladeO.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

va2016

The title and the cover is not indicative of the theme of the book. There are only two Amazon customer reviews. But the Amazon summary is quite intriguing. Based on the above factors, I would have chosen to sample the book, even if not for the First Ten program. As I sampled through the book, I found the book pretty easy to read because of its simple narration. I found the story line interesting too. Because I like the plot and the writing style, I am going to read the book in full. I found the book to be professionally edited. There are no grammatical or mechanical errors. What I liked most about the book is the plot and the writing style. I could not find anything that could be improved with the book. Although I found one OBC review of the book, my decision to read the book in full is based on my own sampling.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2019, at 3:01 am by va2016.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb, OBC review, cover, and title. While the supernatural adventures in the caves sounded interesting, I don’t usualy read young adult books. After reading the first ten pages, I won’t be finishing this book. It definitely sounded like a book geared toward teens and maybe even younger. The language is perfect for this age. For example, when the boys finished cleaning the room, their mom made a big deal of it and gave them brownies for the work. This just seems like something for a younger audience. While this is great for the intended audience, it isn’t for me as I don’t usually like young adult book due to this type of style. The book did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2019, at 2:19 am by anneloretrujillo.

MsTri

Both the cover and the title for this book caught my interest. Then I read the Amazon synopsis and OBC review (the only one I read), and my initial thoughts were confirmed. I love adventure stories, and this seems like a really good one, especially since it has religious symbolism. When I read the sample, I was glad that the it seemed to indicate that the book was professionally edited as well. I also liked the part that talked about Peter and Dave's father teaching them rock climbing. Additionally, I don't have any suggestions for changes because this tome is already written perfectly.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2019, at 1:13 am by MsTri.

Vickie Noel

This book gets an automatic "want to read" ticket because it's a YA fantasy. The cover art is mildly threatening (in a good way!) because the more I stare at it, the more claustrophobic I become. The hole is so wide, but they're too far down! How are they ever going to climb up to the surface? These thoughts run through my head, and would make me keep thinking about the story. I know the book has more adventures to unfurl, and I can't wait to check them out, especially as from Peter's perspective, Dave seemed as if he were in another world. I actually like the slow progression and natural connection of real-life forest exploration leading to this somewhat magical discovery. I also loved the pictorial representation of the discovery of the hole with Peter and Dave staring at it at the onset. I spotted no errors, good job to a punctilious editor. The OBC review didn't do much to stimulate my interest as I didn't get an adequate feel of the storyline, but I'm intrigued basically because the sample ended at an interest-piquing spot.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 10:00 pm by Vickie Noel.

Firefawkes

The cover, description, and review of this book caught my attention because I enjoy books revolving about mystical encounters and adventures. However, I will not be continuing to read this book due to the unrealistic nature of Dave and Peter. They are both young (10 and 12) but seem to have the reasoning ability of children much older (for example, when Peter wanted his brother to play outside, he weighed his options and chose to help Dave clean his room). My favourite part was when Peter was describing his childhood fun of hiding small trinkets in the rocks of the waterfall, because I used to do something similar. My least favourite part was, as stated above, the unrealistic reasoning power the young main characters possessed.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 9:56 pm by Firefawkes.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read pure romance books. However, the title made me curious about the content of the book. Further, the image of two people staring at the light above caught my attention. Having read the sample, I noticed that the introductory pages only consisted of an index and acknowledgements. I would have liked an introduction to the author and to the book, to be able to connect with the author and his work better. However, I liked the way the author described the interaction between the brothers. The description made even a routine task such as cleaning up a room sound interesting. I found no major grammatical errors. However, in many instances, sentences began with the word "And", which distracted me a little. Further, I would have liked more spacing between paragraphs. Since I do not read the genre usually, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 9:00 pm by AA1495.

Dolor

Everything from the cover photo, the title, the blurb, the official OBC review, and the first ten pages had piqued my interest. This means, I will read the entire contents of the book even without The First Ten program. The first ten pages talked about the town forest. The brothers, Peter and Dave planned of going into the forest. Peter helped Dave in cleaning his room. Their mom was impressed, gave them brownies, and allowed them to check out the trails. I would like to know more, so I will read on. I have noticed fragmented sentences:

And hunters remembered the good ole days when they could sit and wait in the reeds along the shore and take black ducks by the dozens.

But oddly, no one could recall a major fire in the area.

Very funny.

And as far back as he could remember, he’d always considered the woods part of his backyard.

I have no improvement suggestion for this book. The Promise by Hank Ellis is a #YoungAdult #Adventure tale involving #Action, #Dreams, and #Magic. It follows the supernatural encounters of the adventurous brothers, Peter and David Wilson.

#MagicalRealism #Teen

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 8:01 pm by Dolor.

Ekta Kumari

I wouldn't have read this book on my own as I'm not really a fan of magical realism and also not much into reading young adult fiction. I read the official review for this book, which is very well written and describes the book well in its entirety. After sampling the book, I can say that I really enjoyed the childhood adventures of the two brothers; it inspires memories of childhood playfulness. The dialogues between the characters are also something to take note of. All the communication taking place between the characters are exemplary in terms of being respectful and can be inspiring to read. Author's writing style is imaginative yet very comprehensible, so the book can be aimed at preteens. However, I think, if read by an adult, this book can be enjoyable for them, too. I didn't find any errors, and the book seems to be professionally edited. Having said that, I wouldn't be reading the rest of the book because this is just not the genre I usually prefer to read.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 7:09 pm by Ekta Kumari.

hsimone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this book. Though I do like a good young adult read, I'm afraid one with too much adventure isn't for me. I do like the title and cover, but the blurb doesn't pique my interest. Looking at the positive OBC and customer ratings did not affect my opinion of the book. While reading, I didn't notice any major errors. I absolutely love the way the main family interacts. It's great that Mom requires the boys, specifically Dave in the sample, to clean up their room before going into the woods, and then getting a treat for their hard work. Also, I love the focus of the boys enjoying nature and being excited to be outdoors. The two brothers, Dave and Peter, seem to have a great relationship as they check out a turtle, play stone-skipping, and running to the north side of the pond. In general, this seems like a great wholesome story that if I had children, I would want them to read. However, as I do not have any kids and I'm a bit old for the text, I do not plan on buying and reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 5:24 pm by hsimone.

ButterscotchCherrie

I wouldn't have sampled this book on my own as I'm not particularly in the market for YA books. I also won't buy and read it today for the same reason, and because the action only reached an interesting point with the discovery of the hole about ten pages in! The book does appear to have been professionally edited as I found no typos or errors. I enjoyed the detailed descriptions of the natural surroundings, especially the bridge over the waterfall - it was thrilling to imagine being able to stand and watch the water falling. The illustration contributed something as I had not been able to visualize the hole before looking at it. In terms of what could be improved, I was a little unclear that a challenge to a race had been issued between the end of Chapter 1 and the beginning of Chapter 2. The OnlineBookClub review I saw confirmed that this wouldn't be a book I'd particularly want to read.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 4:20 pm by ButterscotchCherrie.

Jessacardinal

The cover and title of The Promise: A Perilous Journey by Hank Ellis are intriguing and lead me to further explore the plot of the book. The story seems sweet in that it is sure to take the reader back to the simpler times of childhood adventures and imagination. Unfortunately, the first ten pages felt a bit slow for my preference. While the very end of the sample introduces a cliff hanger of sorts, I am hesitant to purchase the book because I fear the pace may remain slower than I prefer.

The Promise: A Perilous Journey appears to be professionally edited, as I did not note any errors in the sample. I like how the opening chapters allow the reader to recall explorations from the days of old. However, I do not care for the slow pace presented in the first two chapters of the book. I have not seen any reviews for this book. I am curious about what happens in the other world that the boys seem to discover and may consider reviewing a free or paid version of the book in the future.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 2:19 pm by Jessacardinal.

Yolimari

Even though this is a fantasy novel for teens, the cover has a design that looks more appropriate for a non-fiction or religious book. For that reason, I would not have sampled this book without this program. The OBC review did not convince me to read the book because I recently read a book about kids going on adventures to a mysterious world. I think a professional edited the book. I liked that Peter helps Dave clean up his room. It shows that they have a good relationship. I liked the author's writing style which made me imagine the kids in the forest and observing the snapper turtle. However, I will not read the book because I read a similar story not long ago.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 1:40 pm by Yolimari.

Kendra M Parker

I was intrigued by the title and cover. At first I thought it was going to be a non-fiction work, but I was quickly disabused of that notion when I started reading the book. I enjoyed reading about the relationship between Peter and Dave. It was fun to see two brothers that were also friends navigating the woods together. Their rock skipping competition and discovery of the cavern were quite interesting to read about, too. I would certainly go back and read this book if it were on Kindle Ultimate. Since it’s not, I will pass on it. I liked it, but not quite enough to want to spend $3 on it. There were a few moments when the dialog seemed a little stilted, and that caused me to think twice about it. The passage I read was well edited and I did not find any mistakes in it.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 10:03 am by Kendra M Parker.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I wouldn’t have read it. Although I've loved books to the style of CS Lewis' work, this one seems a to be intended for a bit younger audience. After reading the first ten pages I didn’t change my mind and therefore will not be buying and reading the rest of this book. I enjoyed the child-like sense of adventure and discover feeling the book gave off from the very beginning. From finding a new rock, to innocently trying to find the bottom of the hole, the boys are engaged in the magic that is inherent with being a child. That being said, it was clear that the target audience for this book was much younger than myself. The writing style and text were at a much lower level and I don't think that I would enjoy it. I didn’t see anything specific that I would have wanted to change within the sample that I read, but it did seem well written and edited. The official review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 8:02 am by Scerakor.

Emy Katherine

"The Promise" by Hank Ellis is an adventure tale of two brothers, Dave and Peter, who find out a secret cave while hiking the town forest trails. I would not have read and sampled the book based on the genre. I did not change my mind after reading the first ten pages and the OBC review as I do no read adventure novels. The book seemed to be professionally edited as I did not notice any grammatical or punctuation errors. The author's writing style was pleasant and descriptive, and I liked the author's choice to include illustrations in the book. As I am not a fan of this genre, I am not interested in reading this story. However, it will appeal to readers who enjoy reading young adult novels full of action, magic, and adventure.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 5:59 am by Emy Katherine.

NuelUkah

The cover and title looks simple but intriguing. I like Dave and Peter's knowledge of the forest at such a young age due to their father's teachings on the use of topographic map and compass. The brothers seem to always be at peace. I like that Peter always commended his brother whenever he did something impressive like Dave's stone skipping throw which skipped twelve times. I found no error as I read. I'd buy the book to read later because I want to know what the promise is.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 5:06 am by NuelUkah.

ritah

Based on the cover and genre, I would have sampled the book out of curiosity. I read the official review and then sampled The Promise. I liked the anticipation and the sense of adventure that came from the idea of exploring the forest. Dave and Peter's excitement was infectious. The book appeared professionally edited as I did not spot any errors. I will be reading the rest of the book because the child in me enjoys these types of stories.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 4:54 am by ritah.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up. It sounds very adventurous and fantasy-like which I normally enjoy but the blurb didn't really grab my attention and I wasn't really curious as to what was in the forest. After reading the first ten pages, I didn't see any major spelling or grammar errors. It looks like the book is well edited. However, I wasn't a huge fan of the writing style. I thought it was pretty dry and slightly boring. I could feel how much the brothers Peter and Dave wanted to go into the forest and how they worked hard to clean Dave's room so that they could go explore, but I just didn't feel the curiosity or the desire to read more and find out what is so special about the forest, so I don't think this book is for me.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 1:04 am by CrescentMoon.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the official review, I would not have read the book as I do not read this genre. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The writing style was a little too much "tell, not show". For example, there was a paragraph describing what the characters did as they cleaned, and it was in a very simplistic form: he did this, he did that. I think more variety and figurative language would have helped me be more engaged. The sample was professionally edited. I did not read the official review but that did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2019, at 12:43 am by psychopathycathy.

CataclysmicKnight

I honestly assumed this was a religious nonfiction novel when I first saw it, and while I do like those from time to time, I don't go out looking for them. As such, I probably would've passed it by if it wasn't the book of the day.

So far I really like that the two boys get along well and that they even clean their room up before they go out on their adventure. They don't leave the house without permission, and they even enjoy brownies with their mom before they go. The two are competitive (with the skipping rocks), and playful with one another (with the snapping turtle), but they do it in a positive way. I didn't see any errors, and the writing is very smooth.

However, I really wanted to know more about this book before I'd consider buying it. The Amazon description is quite mysterious for a book that's over 300 pages, and the first chapter hasn't hooked me enough yet.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 8:03 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

sarahmarlowe

The cover is nicely done. The illustration is compelling, and the title is easy to read. I enjoyed reading the sample, and I was glad to see that it was a YA book because the dialogue didn't seem quite natural to me. The boys talked to each other much more formally than I would expect. However, this being a YA novel, younger readers may not pick up on that. The descriptions of the forest were beautiful, though. I could picture exactly what the author was describing. I found only one error, that on the 36% page of the sample. This is at the beginning of a paragraph when the boys encounter the turtle. "Me either" should be "Me, either." I haven't read an OBC review of this book, and I won't be buying this book. I don't often read YA.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 6:52 pm by sarahmarlowe.

Sweet Psamy

If I had not sampled the first ten pages of this book, I would have chosen to read it because of its attractive cover page. It looked like a Christain religious tale. I would buy and read the whole book because I loved Peter and Dave's adventurous spirit.

Reading the first ten pages did not change my mind about buying the book. This is because I found Peter and Dave's interest in the forest fascinating. The book appears to have been professionally edited. What I like most in the bit I read was Peter's ability to commend his younger brother when he did something good. I also valued the adventure in the story.

I think starting the story with a conversation would be more compelling than the descriptive manner the first page started. The book did not have an official OnlineBookClub review that I saw. The lack of an official OnlineBookClub review did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 6:49 pm by Sweet Psamy.

KristyKhem

Although this is a young adult fiction novel, the cover and title made me think it was a motivational memoir. This didn’t appeal to me. There were very few reviews on Amazon which were all short. I wasn’t convinced by them. The blurb seemed mildly interesting, but not the kind of book I would read. Therefore, I wouldn’t have chosen to purchase this book. I read the sample for the First Ten Programme. I was intrigued when Dave and Peter found a strange cavern under a fallen tree in the woods. I also liked that the author provided descriptions of the woods, the trees, and the wildlife. For instance, the boys found a snapping turtle there. I was pleased when I did not come across any errors in the sample. I think it was professionally edited. However, what I disliked about the sample was the boys’ personalities. They were innocent, helpful to one another, and respectful to their mother. They seemed a little too ‘perfect’. In real life, brothers tend to have little conflicts with each other. Moreover, I prefer reading about rambunctious characters who are likely to get into trouble or have a fast-paced adventure. I would not like to continue reading this book, so I would not buy it.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 6:45 pm by KristyKhem.

revna01

The first ten pages were about 10-year-old Dave and his 12-year-old brother Peter. They are cleaning so they can go to exploring near the lake and dam. They are mature for their age and have been planning their adventure for a week since school let out. I thought the writing was very simple, in a way good for young adults. The brothers also have a nice rapport. I thought it was a little slow without much imagery. I found no editing mistakes though. I also like the title and cover. The OBC reviewer thought this book was somewhat like a C.S. Lewis novel. This storyline doesn't especially appeal to me, so I will pass on this one.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 6:20 pm by revna01.

CinWin

"The Promise: A Perilous Journey" by Hank Ellis begins with 2 brothers, Peter and David, cleaning up Dave's very messy bedroom. After an hour, they are finished and request that Mom do a room-check. She confirms the good job, and offers them brownies as a reward. Then they discuss what they are going to do in the forest today. The woods align with their backyard, and the brothers have been exploring there for years. Thus ends the first 10 pages. The book was very simplistic - quite well-suited for the pre-teen crowd that it was written for. The author wrote about subjects that any 10 - 12 year old would relate to. I won't be finishing it, however, because it is not in my age category, and I enjoy faster-paced novels. There were no typos, and there was an onlinebookclub review. I would not have changed anything because it will be great for the young reader. I would have looked at the book from its cover, as it does not show that it is geared to the pre-teen readers.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 6:07 pm by CinWin.

Momiji1987

I really love the writing style. It’s very descriptive and doesn’t talk down to kids, making this book a maure read that is still age appropriate. I liked meeting the two brothers and seeing them clean up the room together. I thought it was cute that their mom approved and made them brownies. The editing looks terrific with no noticeable errors and I liked reading the review which told me a lot of interesting details about the story. In short, this book appeals to me and I look forward to reading the rest of the sample.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 4:43 pm by Momiji1987.

sonya01

This book seemed to have all the prerequisites for a wonderful read. I loved the cover illustration which is full of otherworldly mystery, and had me hooked at first sight. I’m not sure how the title applies from reading just the first ten, but it certainly made me take notice of this book. I didn’t really like the font used for the title which I felt didn’t do much for the initial impact of the book. The sample was excellent. It was filled with the excitement of two youngsters starting their summer holidays and about to embark on a mammoth adventure. The suspense in the first couple of chapters is thrilling, especially since the author wasted no time in getting into the story. It was grammatically correct which made it easy and pleasant to read. The reviews were all highly complimentary and it seems like this author has a gift for writing for this particular age group. However, one criticism I do have is the way the two boys speak, as I don’t think a twelve-year-old and his younger brother would speak to each other in such a mature and adult way. It was as if they were more like sixteen-year-olds. Aside from this, I was impressed, but won’t read this book, purely because this type of story doesn’t interest me much.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 3:51 pm by sonya01.

Kajori50

'The Promise' is a book written by Hank Ellis. The title, blurb, the OBC review, and the customer reviews in Amazon did a good job of convincing me to give the book a try.

The first ten pages of the book leads me to believe that it is fiction novel. Summer is here. Peter and Dave are excited to explore the forest on their own. Before heading out, Peter helps his brother clean up his room. Then, with their mom's permission they head out. On their way they say a giant turtle. They come across a deep hole in the ground. Peter goes down in it while Dave waits. I liked the bond between Peter and Dave. I did not find any error . I consider it to be professionally edited. I will give this book a skip as I am not in the mood to read a book of this genre as of now.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 3:32 pm by Kajori50.

Jsovermyer

The cover picture is very appealing and would attract me to the book. I'm not sure how the title, The Promise, relates to the story.
The Promise is a young boy's adventure story with a twist of mystical magic thrown in. I liked how Dave cleaned his bedroom as his mother requested and his brother, Peter, even helped. These are good lessons for children to learn. I also like that the boys are excited to be outdoors in nature and aren't shut up inside playing video games. The book seemed to be well-edited as I only found a few mistakes with the use of commas. One example is at location 113 where it says,"But on the other hand, the two boys had been planning to go into the forest for the past week, and this was their first chance since school vacation had begun." The comma between week/and is not needed. The official review rated it highly and I would agree it is a charming and exciting story. However, I will not be finishing it because it seems to be written for a much younger audience.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 3:20 pm by Jsovermyer.

cristinaro

I was immediately drawn by both the title and the wonderful cover, so I would have sampled the book even without the first ten program. The Amazon blurb is brief, but gives enough information on the plot and the main characters. There are 2 five-star customer reviews and a positive OBC review. I won't be reading the novel because I think it's more appropriate for children. I couldn't find any editing errors in the sample. Children will definitely enjoy following Peter and Dave's adventures. I liked the fact that the author uses a simple vocabulary and the story flows smoothly. As an adult, I got bored quickly and the story was dragging at times, but I'm sure children will find the two brothers' adventures into the forest exciting.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 2:08 pm by cristinaro.

Camille Turner

Based on the cover, title, and Amazon blurb, my first impression was that this is a sci-fi for young adults. As such, I don't think I'd have sampled the book without the program since I'm very picky about sci-fi novels and am not too interested in YA fiction. After reading the first ten pages, I believe the book to be professionally edited as I didn't note any grammatical errors or typos. My impression has stayed the same as I still think this is a book for a slightly younger audience than myself, so I won't buy it today. I wouldn't improve anything because I think it's written in a style that is easy for a younger audience to read. However, for me it was a bit too simplistic, spending ten pages on Dave and Peter cleaning Dave's room and then being rewarded with brownies from their mom. I did like the relationship between the two of them, as it seems that Peter is super kind to his younger brother and that they enjoy doing everything together, as they're headed out to hike in the forest after the room is clean. I just don't think it's a book for me personally.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 11:44 am by Camille Turner.

unamilagra

Before sampling this book, I would probably not have picked this up. Although I like the cover art, I tend to not read a lot of middle grade fiction. The OBC review made it sound promising, so I was excited to read the first ten pages. I have to admit, the first ten pages did nothing to rope me in. Reading about boys cleaning their room and then eating brownies before heading outside did nothing to get me excited about what this book had to offer. I think I probably would have liked a book like this in fourth or fifth grade, but I don't feel this book has much to offer me as an adult. I will not be reading the rest of the book. I did not note any errors in the section I read.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 11:40 am by unamilagra.

Laura Bach

I was interested by the premise of the book, so I couldn't wait to check it out. However, the characters are too young for my interest, so I won't be reading the book further. But the sample was adorable. Peter and Dave just began the summer break and they cleaned the room together in order to be allowed to go in the forest. I liked their love for the forest and the way their parents made sure they remained safe(compass, maps). It seemed professionaly edited.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 10:53 am by Laura Bach.

TuyetMai

I wouldn’t have checked out this book on my own because I’m not interested in young adult novels. It’s easy to like the two brothers, Peter and Dave, both of whom are curious but quite responsible for their ages. The book is very well-written. Unfortunately, the story doesn’t capture my interest, so I won’t continue to read this book.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 10:48 am by TuyetMai.

HRichards

I normally wouldn't have picked this book up as the content didn't really interest me. Having read the sample I won't be continuing on with the book as the plot is rather slow. The sample deals with two brothers who clean up their rooms and then head to the local dam to explore. They find a snapping turtle and throw rocks into the lake. The writing is pretty good, but I noticed a grammar error in the line "And hunters remembered the good ole days" which should be connected to the previous sentence. This book might be appealing to those who like coming of age novels, but I found the writing a bit boring. I have not read any other reviews of this book.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 10:21 am by HRichards.

cpru68

Ten year old Dave has a messy room that is keeping him and his twelve year old brother Peter from doing what they want. If the room isn’t clean, then their mom won’t let them go out exploring the massive forest that is near their home. Dave convinces Peter to help, and in no time the room is clean along with their mom’s approval.

I liked the interactions between the brothers and how kind they were to one another. And, they showed high respect for their mom as well. That is a rare find in a YA novel these days. It gives the book an old fashioned feel and readers need exposure to that.

I won’t be finishing this one as it didn’t fully capture my interest. The writing felt geared more for younger readers and the beginning dragged along a bit. I kept waiting for something to happen, and it never really did. The review indicated the same thing that the storyline does go slow but then picks up later. I did not find any errors in punctuation, spelling or grammar so this seems to have been professionally edited.

I probably wouldn’t have read this one on my own search without the online book club because I generally do not read YA novels. I appreciate the opportunity to have read the sample pages, and I will send it out on my social media for others to look into.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 9:48 am by cpru68.

LV2R

I liked the book’s cover and title. I wanted to find out more about the book. The Amazon Blurb made the book sound wonderful describing Peter and David as discovering a cavern, using dreams, deciphering riddles, encountering the strange and supernatural. I wanted to read the sample. The first ten pages introduced the brothers, Peter and Dave, as they wanted to go exploring in the forest near their home. I liked that the boys were enjoying the river, skipping stones, and looking at the fish. I best liked that they found a deep hole and wanted to investigate. The book seems to be edited well, as I did not notice any errors. The OBC review stated that the book had a “magic realism” to it and that it was a good childhood adventure story. Though I think this story may be very good for children, I think I will pass on it because the sample seemed to be moving a bit too slow for me.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 9:43 am by LV2R.

desantismt_17

This book’s title made me curious. The description intrigued me. I enjoy coming-of-age books with fantasy elements. Before sampling, I thought about reading. After sampling, I’ll give this a try. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed no errors. The opening lines drew me in. I was immediately aware that there was something special about this forest, and I wanted to know what it was. The writing states that the boys (ten and twelve years of age, far as I can tell) are mature for their ages. Though this does seem to be the case, some of their dialogue did feel even a bit too mature. The story seemed to take a bit to start with the room cleaning and conversation between the boys and their mother. After that, though, the boys were off into the forest, and I was excited to go with them. Aside from maybe a little rewriting of the boys’ dialogue to make them sound a little younger, I have no improvements to suggest. The OnlineBookClub.org gave me a hint of what was in store and added to my desire to try this book.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 9:37 am by desantismt_17.

Christina O Phillips

The title is simple but the cover art is eye-catching. The summary is intriguing. Without this program, I would have read this sample anyway. There were no errors that I noticed. Like the summary, the sample uses a style of writing (vocabulary, for example) that I am unsure matches the tone of a young adult novel. The dialogue between Peter and David did not feel realistic for brothers or a 10-year-old. The way the boys talked to their parents did not feel realistic either. Other than that, the prose was nicely written. I want to keep reading to see what they discover in the cavern.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 9:34 am by Christina O Phillips.

Sarah_Khan

I might have picked this book up even if it was not part of the first ten program because I am interested in anything relating to dreams. I also really like the title. The first ten pages seem well-edited. The writing style was simple, which made me think that maybe this book is supposed to be for a younger audience. I liked the beginning about the importance of the forest and its history. Unfortunately, the overall vibe I'm getting from this book is that it is not for my age. Therefore, I do not intend to read the rest. I did not read any OBC review.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 9:29 am by Sarah_Khan.

Mercy Bolo

Judging by the cover, I wasn't going to read this book, but the OBC review urged me on when it mentioned that the author narrates the story of two brothers who embark on an exploratory adventure. When I read the first ten pages, I liked that everyone, including the hunters, had fond memories of the forest. Since I noticed no errors, I will conclude that the text underwent professional editing, but I won't read the rest of the book because it doesn't appeal to me. As it is, there's nothing I would change about the bit I read.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 9:19 am by Mercy Bolo.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as I am not the target audience. I didn't change my mind after sampling the book. Although the premise is interesting, this book seems a little too juvenile for me. While I didn't notice any glaring errors, the writing seems more suitable for younger readers. The book follows two adolescent brothers who wander in the forest and discover a mysterious cavern while at it. I like that the book combines real-life and magical realism. I also liked the interactions between the two brothers. However, the pace was too slow for my taste, and the sample didn't keep my attention. I won't read the book, as it didn't engage me. The official review didn't sway my decision either way.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 8:21 am by gali.

Theresam

I like the title and cover of this book and I think I would have picked it up based on those. Based on the first ten pages, I think the book cover corresponds well with the subject of the book. The first ten pages are well-written and interesting. The book begins with two brothers leaving home to hike in the woods. They seem to have a good relationship and casual conversations. I haven’t read any reviews of this book yet. Based on the first ten pages, it appears to be professionally edited because I don’t see any errors. Although I like the author’s writing style, I don’t think I will read the rest of this book. Based on the first ten pages, it seems like a book about boys hiking in the woods and I don’t think it is a book I would enjoyed based on the subject matter.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2019, at 8:12 am by Theresam.

Total ~ 23%

The Promise earned a score of 23%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 23% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for The Promise

https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/authors/blurb.php?topic_id=129687&bookid=30237