Cover for Man Mission

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey

Because Man Mission was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as it isn't the type of books I enjoy reading. I didn't change my mind after sampling the book. While a contemporary Fiction revolving around the travels of four friends around the world sounds exciting, I am not fond of travels books. The book follows four friends, Sam, Daniel, Alec, and Eytan who started a tradition to visit a different location each year and kept it for 15 years. I liked that a friendship started with a chance meeting between the narrator and Sam. I also like that the book focuses on the men's lives and not just on their travels. Adding the maps is a nice touch. Saying that, the sample didn't really hold my attention. I also didn't care for the style of writing. I noticed one missing comma in the following sentence: "On the day we first met I had been looking for someone to go with me to the Food Fair on campus". I won't buy and read the book, as the sample didn't keep my interest. The official review didn't sway my decision either way.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 10:46 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

TuyetMai

A group of friends gathering every year for a “manly” adventure sounds like the making of a fun story, but I wouldn’t have checked it out since I’m not very interested in reading about four guys. I find the fast pace quite enjoyable and well-suited to the story. Their exciting trip quickly starts to look like trouble as Sam and the narrator are unprepared for their hike in New Zealand. It’s funny how the narrator picked a can of beans as his choice weapons against what turns out to be a herd of cows. The book seems well-edited but for a consistent error of missing commas after introductory phrases like this: “For almost two hours Sam and I meandered from stall to stall, tasting everything the Food Fair had to offer” (Location 160 of 367). Although I enjoy the sample, I don't feel the urge to purchase the book today and would rather do it another day when I’m ready to read it.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 11:57 am by TuyetMai.

Theresam

I like the cover of this book. It caught my attention. It looks adventurous and the cover tells me what the book will be about. I haven’t read a review of this book yet. The first ten pages tell the story of the author meeting his friend Sam in law school and deciding that they will go on adventures around the world. Once they graduate law school and get jobs, their plan for adventure doesn’t seem possible. One day Sam calls and sets a plan in motion to take a week off to go to New Zealand and the author is able to get the time off from work. They head to New Zealand to hike and have an adventure. The first ten pages were interesting and really drew me into the story. I didn’t see any errors in the first ten pages, so I believe the book was professionally edited. I am interested to see how their adventures turn out. I would like to finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 12:47 pm by Theresam.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

cpru68

Readers are introduced to the plot of this one right away as the main character recounts how he met his friend Sam on a college campus. The two become fast friends over foreign food at a food fair and make a somewhat loose decision to travel the world and eat exotic food. Flash forward three years, and the trip has gone undone. Sam calls and convinces his friend to travel with him. In a whirlwind, they are in New Zealand to hike as Sam and his friend just happened to have the same time off. A hike that they think will be no sweat turns into more than they thought.

I won’t be finishing this book. I think it will appeal greatly to men and maybe avid readers of travel adventures. I’m not either of those, so I’m passing on this. I didn’t see any errors in punctuation, spelling or grammar so I believe this was professionally edited. The review didn’t indicate anything in regard to mistakes in the writing, so I think it’s been professionally done.

I appreciate the opportunity to have read the sample pages of this, and without the online book club I probably wouldn’t have found this one on my own search. I will send it out on my social media for others to look into.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 1:20 pm by cpru68.

desantismt_17

This book’s title didn’t hook me. The description sort of caught my interest. I don’t normally go for this kind of story, but I was interested that it was about four men. Usually when I see these kinds of books, they are about women. Before sampling, I was thinking about reading. After sampling, I’ll give this a try. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed no errors. The “Man Charter” was equal parts interesting and amusing. When I got to the first MM about New Zealand, the humor in the first few lines snagged my attention and convinced me to try this. The following scene with the guys at the food fair and talking was interesting. I was fully on board when I got to this line, though: “In jumping to conclusions, I’d been a judgmental ass.” Seriously, who hasn’t done that at one point or another? These characters felt like people I could really identify with, and I wanted to hear more about what adventures and trouble they got into. I have no improvements to suggest at this time. The OnlineBookClub.org review was glowing but didn’t tell me anything I couldn’t have gotten from the sample, really. Regardless, I look forward to giving this a try.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 1:27 pm by desantismt_17.

Everydayadventure15

This book seemed geared toward men and I was not initially interested in learning more about it. The OBC review talked about the great adventures, dialogue, and character perspectives in the book and I thought I might be interested in reading the whole thing. I do enjoy a good adventure and traveling to new places. Interest piqued, I began reading the book and right away was hit with the thought, “yep, this is for men.” The writing seemed well-edited and easy to read, but within the first few pages there was already talk of hangovers, drugs, and multiple uses of the f-word. I’m not a fan of excessive swearing in a book if I can avoid it, so this is not a book I will buy. It did seem to be something that men fresh out of college or stuck in a boring job would enjoy. The opening pages are about some guys who met in college and end up going their separate ways, but later reconnect and sett out on a spontaneous trip to New Zealand.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 1:47 pm by Everydayadventure15.

sarahmarlowe

What a cool cover! I like that the illustration is colorful and the title is easily read. Since it's a man-book, I probably wouldn't have picked it up, but I did enjoy the sample. It was well written, and I found no errors. The author writes in a personable way, and the dialogue is natural. The descriptions of Sam and of the setting are very clear. I cringed at the description of the narrator's knee pain, and I laughed at the image of him flailing in the river. I haven't read an OBC review of this book, and I won't be reading it. It's not I topic I think I would enjoy.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 2:13 pm by sarahmarlowe.

Washboard

The cover and genre were both interesting to me, but the title and official review made me suspect this book wouldn't be a good fit for me. The first ten pages discuss how the author met his friend Sam while in law school and bonded over their desire for adventure and eating exotic foods. This birthed their tradition of traveling to do outdoor adventures in exotic places. First stop - New Zealand. I did not notice any errors in my reading. While it sounds like a nice buddy bonding book, I don't think it is for me. Even though the opening line was pretty eye catching and promises adventure, I suspect I will get frustrated with the antics of the characters. I won't be continuing to read this one.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 2:18 pm by Washboard.

maggi3

Without having read the sample, I would not have bought this book. This was based on the title and genre, but mainly the blurb and the OnlineBookClub review I read. While all the reviews I saw were positive, I was not interested enough in these men’s lives or adventures to read the book.

After reading the sample, I will still not be reading this book. What I read seemed well-edited, as I noticed no errors, and the characters seemed realistic. The trip was impulsive and maybe not the smartest decision, but it’s human nature to get excited about an idea and forget some details. Their lack of preparation, like with the flickering flashlight, was obvious. I liked how the men’s friendship was portrayed too, as it also seemed realistic and comfortable. I can offer no improvements to the story. It’s just not a subject I’m interested in.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 2:42 pm by maggi3.

evraealtana

This book appears to be targeted to men, which makes me not its ideal reader; in any case, I don't generally enjoy "boys' adventures" stories, so I wouldn't have picked this one for myself. The first ten pages were interesting enough, but I wasn't "hooked" enough to continue reading, so I think I will leave it. I did really enjoy the first paragraph of the book, though; it was "in media res" done about as well as it possibly can be. I can't imagine anyone NOT being curious as to how the narrator ended up in that situation. Still, the story following that was much less exciting, and didn't "grab" me. I noticed what I believe is an error: an extraneous "not" in the sentence, "I had commitments and important, if not mind-numbingly boring, work to do." The sentence is complete as it is, but I think the "not" changes the meaning away from what the author intended; rather than "my work is important, even if it's boring", it now means "my work is important, even though it ISN'T boring" (implying that, in general, only boring work can be important - not, I think, what the author meant).

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 3:04 pm by evraealtana.

Laura Bach

The title confused me because I couldn't see any relation to the genre at first. However, the cover and the review persuaded me to try this book. The sample was delicious. At the Food Fair, the main character and Sam talked about going to exotic places and trying all sorts of food. When years have passed and they find themselves settled for jobs behind desks, Sam brings up the idea they had. They decide to go to New Zealand. Because I've enjoyed the sample and I found nothing wrong with the text, I will continue to read this book.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 3:33 pm by Laura Bach.

Tomah

I wouldn't have chosen to read the book as the premise didn't interest me and I'm not fond of travel-related books, despite the good reviews (including the OBC review). Having read the first pages, I enjoyed the tense description of the characters' encounter with unknown assailants in a New Zealand field, only to realize they were just cows, to great comedic effect. I spotted no errors, but I disliked the somewhat sexist way the main character referred to Alec's companion. As the story still doesn't interest me all that much, I don't plan on reading it further.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 3:44 pm by Tomah.

Kajori50

'Man Mission' is a book written by Eytan Uliel. The title, blurb, and cover did a good job at convincing me to give this book a try.

The first ten pages leads me to believe that it is a book about the narrator and his friends. In college, the narrator and Sam decided that they would take annual trips to exotic locations every year. Three years later, the narrator and his friends leave for New Zeeland. I like the bond of friendship I this book. I found some errors. For example the construction the sentence, “..lying on the grass, recovering from alcohol excess the night before..” is faulty. I think that it is not professionally edited. I will give this book a skip as I am not in the mind-frame to read a book of this genre as of now.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 4:06 pm by Kajori50.

Yolimari

I would not have sampled this book without this program because the title implies it is a book for men. The OBC review of the book sounded interesting but did not convince me to read it. I liked that it is about friends traveling to different places and going on outdoor adventures, but I did not like that all the main characters are men. I think a professional edited the book. I enjoyed the friendly dynamic between the narrator and Sam, as it seemed that their friendship was organic. I felt joy for them when they decided to go to New Zealand. However, I will not read the book because the focus on the point of view of men does not interest me.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 4:42 pm by Yolimari.

esp1975

First things first, as a woman, I am never going to be interested in a book called "Man Mission". I am just not. And while the cover is interesting, with that title, it is not going to change my mind. Nor is the blurb. Most of the OnlineBookClub reviews confirmed my thoughts, though I will say the official review is the only one that made me actually consider changing my mind.
The sample is well written and engaging. At the same time, it lets me know that in the end, this is not going to be the book for me. I have a hard time sympathizing with the person who seriously injures themselves but decides to tough it out because they are on a "man mission" or a friend who care more about the hike than another friend's health. These just aren't characters who speak to me.
But the writing is quite good, and I expect that many men (and even quite a few women I know) would not have a problem with this at all. It is just not me.
I did not notice any formatting, punctuation, or grammar errors.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 4:53 pm by esp1975.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book as I do not think this is my genre. After reading the sample, I have changed my mind and I am really interested in how the definition of "man" will develop throughout the book. In this sentence: "Sam's Norseman's face creased into an excited smile" I am not sure if it meant to say "Sam Norseman's face." If this is an error, more professional editing is needed.; other than that, the book was good. I did not read an official review but that did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 4:57 pm by psychopathycathy.

Sarah_Khan

I really like the cover and title of this book. I liked that the Amazon blurb was short and did not give too much away. The overall concept of this book seems like it will offer a point-of-view that is not seen too often. The first ten pages were well-edited. I liked the mission charter. The characters seem likable and relatable. I appreciated the initial impression of Sam that turned out to be wrong. I definitely want to see how this book plays out. I did not feel the need to read any OBC review.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 6:24 pm by Sarah_Khan.

lavellan

I probably wouldn't have read Man Mission if it hadn't been a part of the First Ten program. The Book of the Day review was positive, but I had heard negative things about the book previously. The book seemed like it was professionally edited, and I did not notice any errors while reading. I found it funny when Sam and the author accidentally set up camp in the middle of a cow pasture. I didn't like how the author organized the novel. Flashbacks were interjected in a way that made the book seem like it was out of order. For instance, it would have made more sense if the dinner party scene was included before their first night in New Zealand. As a result of this, I will not buy the book today.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 7:20 pm by lavellan.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I wouldn't have read it. Even though the idea of an annual trip sounds awesome, it doesn't sound like there would be enough action in this book for me. After reading the first 10 pages I didn't change my mind, and therefore will not be reading the rest of this book and buying it. I did like, however, the small piece of serendipity that starts this all off. When, as a junior lawyer, you find a 5-day block free, it is a great way to show that this man mission annual vacation is meant to be. That being said, this really doesn't sound like it would be interesting enough for me to pay for, and therefore I won't read the rest of it. The book, however, does look well written an edited, and there wasn't anything specifically that I would have wanted changed within the sample that I read. The official review did not affect my decision at all

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 8:10 pm by Scerakor.

LV2R

I liked the book cover and the title was OK. The Amazon blurb described the Man Mission as an annual “week-long tip in search of adventure” and “dedicated to new experiences and friendship.” I was not sure if I wanted to read the book or not. Written in the first person, the first ten pages began with the main character (I don’t know his name) recalling his first time in meeting Sam at a Food Fair on campus. I best liked that he shared his fantasy of traveling to exotic countries, eating bizarre food, and hiking or doing something outdoors. Several years later after graduating and working, Sam called and wanted to start their adventure. They went to New Zealand to hike Harper’s Pass, a 55-mile trail. This began a yearly vacation that later included Alec and Dan. The book seems to be edited well, as I did not notice any errors. The OBC review mentioned that there are snapshots of each man’s family life while they are on their travels. I do not want to read this book because even though I am interested in adventures and travels, I do not like the foul language used as a common way the characters express themselves.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 9:28 pm by LV2R.

srividyag1

The cover page seems to say that this is a non-fiction about four men's journey. But the OBC review said that this is a fiction about four friends who do all kinds of "manly" trips and the story of their personal lives. The premise seems interesting. In the sample, we see the narrator and his friend Sam hiking through the jungles of New Zealand. We also see the flashback of how they meet at a Food Fair. We also see a glimpse of a very humourous account of them camping in the jungle during the trip and getting scared by a herd of cows. Then the story cuts to a dinner between four friends where we see the personal/love lives of all the four friends. The author has taken care that he doesn't stay with the same story line for a long time. So the reader is taken on a ride between various contrasting scenes like the one mentioned above. I liked the premise of the book and the characters seem interesting enough. However, from the review, I came to understand that the book contains predominantly the male viewpoint, which I'm not particularly interested in analysing at the moment. So I'm not going to read this book.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 10:34 pm by srividyag1.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up. This definitely sounds like an adventurous book and I'm sure travel buffs would love to read this. But I enjoy books geared more towards action, mystery, suspense, so I'm not the target audience for this. After reading the first ten pages, I saw a few punctuation errors including a lot of missing commas. In the chapter titled MM1, "On the day we first met I had been looking..." there should be a comma after met. "For almost two hours Sam and I meandered..." there should be a comma after hours. "After noshing we sat on a bench and chatted." There should be a comma after noshing. I thought the writing style was very descriptive and detailed and I could easily imagine what the characters look like. I can easily picture Sam and his Viking-like features like blond hair, etc. I thought the descriptions were well done but the story so far seems like a lot of telling and not enough showing so I feel like I'm reading a transcript of a novel rather than a novel itself. I feel like this may change later on once the four friends actually go on their trips and experience their adventures. But so far the beginning did not hook me in so I won't be reading the rest.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 11:35 pm by CrescentMoon.

CataclysmicKnight

I'm not a huge fan of the title of this book, but the cover would've probably drawn my attention well enough to make me look into it even if it wasn't the book of the day.

Eytan really dove into the main concept of this book quickly: within the ten pages I read, the two main characters become friends, three years pass while the main guy works his butt off, the other main dude calls him and they head off on their first annual adventure. Not only that, they arrive at their destination and start on the trek! I really would've liked more detail about how the characters felt at each point in the story and details about their senses throughout it. With that said, I didn't see any errors and I really like the concept of this book as a whole. If the book was free I might read it eventually, but I'm not hooked enough to buy a copy.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2019, at 11:42 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Jbcitygirl

I would have chosen to sample this book based on the cover and reviews. After reading the first ten pages I can honestly say I’m thrilled to add this book to my reading list. It’s truly fun to read and I breezed through the pages. I enjoyed feeling nostalgic about my younger days and the adventures I experienced while traveling. I can’t wait to see what situations these boys get themselves into. I like the switch between the dinner party conversation and the traveling adventure. It warmed me up to characters and allowed me to understand their actions in certain situations a little better. The book does appear to be professionally edited, as I did not notice any errors. The official OnlineBookClub review was great and confirmed that I want to read this book.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 1:16 am by Jbcitygirl.

gen_g

I have come across positive reviews of this book, and it has piqued my interest in checking it out. It also seems professionally edited. I like how the author tells the story about how he and his friends started going on annual trips - based on Uliel's first impression of Sam, the former thought that Sam was a private school kid (since Sam was blond with blue eyes, and he gave off a "rugged, manly vibe"), and he was not interested in going on trips with him. Still, something made him change his mind, and the book was born as a result. I currently have no suggestions for improvement. I will be purchasing the book.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 1:43 am by gen_g.

cristinaro

Since I like the artistic cover, I would have sampled this book even without the first ten program. It has favorable editorial and customer reviews praising it for exploring men's search for identity in a changing world. The story is told in a simple manner; therefore, it flows smoothly and has an air of authenticity. The first-person narration makes you get more involved too. In terms of editing, I noticed the incorrect use of the genitive case: "Sam('s) Norseman's face" (14% of Sample). Despite the positive OBC review, I won't be reading this book because I'd like something more sophisticated and profound rather than the mere simplistic account of four men's annual adventures together.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 3:34 am by cristinaro.

ButterscotchCherrie

I wouldn't have sampled this based on a general impression of the title and cover - it seemed to be aimed at men. I realized from the description and one OBC review I saw that it might have more general appeal, though. I won't buy and read this today as I found the interweaving of the two plot components confusing. The book seems excellently edited, though I don't think there should be a comma after "busy" in this phrase: "they were too busy, lying on the grass recovering" because "lying" is dependent on "busy". I enjoyed the humour, such as a reference to noodles "so rubbery I didn't want to ask what they were made from". It was confusing that the first day of the hike in New Zealand was followed by a flashback to the narrator introducing his girlfriend to his friends before the hike took place. I could not understand why the events had been ordered like this. Also, the stereotypical description of a woman as a "bimbo" could be improved. My decision was based more on the sample than on the OBC reviews.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 4:37 am by ButterscotchCherrie.

va2016

The cover and the title are indicative of the theme of the book. There is only one Amazon customer review. The Amazon summary clearly describes the plot of the story. As I am interested in travel and adventure type of books, I would have sampled this book even if not for the First Ten program. As I sampled through the book, I found the narration describing about the budding of friendship of the protagonist's with Sam, and their eventual trip to New Zealand. I liked the way the story-telling has been done, and as I like travel stories, I am going to read this book in full. I found the sample professionally edited. There were no grammatical or mechanical errors. What I liked most about the book is its writing style. I could not find anything that could be improved with the book. Although I found 33 OBC reviews on the book, my decision to read the book in full is based on my own sampling.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 4:37 am by va2016.

VernaVi

Had I not sampled this book through the First Ten program, I would not have picked it up for a second look because the cover seemed to target male readers. For this reason, I do not plan to buy and read the whole book at this time. Reading the first ten pages confirmed my first impressions of the book. It described a men-only journey of four friends around the world. The book does seem professionally edited; I saw no errors in what I read. What I liked most about what I read was the camaraderie of the friends featured in the book. I wasn’t a big fan of the use of the f-word a few times in the first ten pages. I know that readers who love books on hiking journeys and travels around the world will enjoy this journal. On a personal level, as far as improvement, the f-bomb could be edited out, and it would help the book a bit. I did see the Official Online Book Club review and found it to be informative and detailed.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 5:06 am by VernaVi.

Nuel Ukah

The cover page looks complex. The title sounds interesting to a curious reader. I'd read the entire book to understand why the book was titled Man Mission, though the Official OBC review has given me an idea of the books premise.

The book seems to be professionally edited as I found no error. What I like most is how the main character and Sam met each other. The main character saw Sam as someone not good enough, only to later find out that his conclusion about Sam was wrong. Him and Sam had a lot in common.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 6:17 am by Nuel Ukah.

dorebri2020

This novel seems extremely fun to be honest. Initially, I found the cover confusing, as it appeared to be a conglomeration of a few pictures. The review did say that it was a good story, so I came in with high hopes for adventure. Upon reading the first ten pages, I can understand the drive and adventure included in the novel. I especially appreciated the immediate dive into the action and the helpful maps/diagrams that gave extra details about the novel and the specific adventures described. The only thing I would have changed was a more specific focus on the development of Sam and the main character's relationship before diving into the relationship. I also did not necessarily like the profanity that was shown immediately, but I did not mind it enough to stop reading. Overall, I think I would enjoy this book and will buy it.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 9:46 am by dorebri2020.

Emy Katherine

Without The First Ten Program, I would not have read the book based on the genre as I am not a huge fan of adventure books. In all honesty, the sample was entertaining but did not make me change my mind. The story follows the adventures and misadventures of four friends as they travel to various places all over the world. I found the dialogues humorous and the writing style descriptive and engaging. I must say, the author did a great job of describing events, places, and characters. For example, I felt the excitement of the narrator as he planned his first hiking trip to New Zealand. The book has many positive OBC reviews; those who enjoy reading travel books filled with adventure, humor, and suspense will surely enjoy this book. Also, "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel seemed to be professionally edited as I did not find any typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 11:58 am by Emy Katherine.

Juliana_Isabella

I probably wouldn't have chosen this book because I usually read sci-fi and fantasy, but I did see the positive review. I didn't find any grammatical mistakes in the first ten pages. Although I enjoyed the writing style, the actual plot, especially the boys' trip, doesn't appeal to me as a female reader. I appreciate that the protagonist reevaluated his initial impression of Sam, showing personal growth, but I'm not attached to him as a character, so I won't finish the book.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 12:40 pm by Juliana_Isabella.

Hiruni Bhagya 81

After reading the OBC review, I wanted to read this book as it appeared to be insightful regarding a man's take on various things as well as about different countries and cultures. After sampling the book, I didn't want to read it. The author was not forthcoming with certain information and the abrupt time shifts found in the book were not to my liking. What I liked most about this book was the marked world map at the beginning of the book and the maps of countries they journeyed to with the place they travelled marked at the beginning of the relevant chapter. I only found one error in the whole sample. In 13% of the sample, "Sam's Norseman's" is found with an extra "'s". So, I can't say the editing is perfect. I think it'd be better to introduce the characters to the readers. Also, the abrupt time shifts too need improving.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 3:50 pm by Hiruni Bhagya 81.

danielleamy

I would not have sampled this without the First Ten program, as I don't tend to read adventure novels. After reading the sample, it's clear this is more about testing your limits, friendships and relationships. It's easy to become sucked into the 9-5 life and forget to live. I think readers will want to have their own travels when they find out about the wonderful scenery, food etc that the protagonist and his friends experience. There was nothing that I disliked about the sample, except that the jumps in time could be slightly confusing. But that wasn't a big issue, as it was fairly easy to gather what was happening. There were also no typos. I will not be buying the full book for now, as I am not interested in reading any further about the group and their travels. I may come back to this if I want some travel inspiration though!

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 4:47 pm by danielleamy.

HRichards

I normally wouldn't have picked this book up since I'm not that interested in the topic. Having read the sample I won't be continuing on with the book since I didn't find it that interesting. The sample deals with how the author met his friend Sam and how they came up with "Man Mission" which involves hiking a trail in New Zealand. The writing was fine and I didn't notice any grammar errors. Those who like memoirs might like this book. I wasn't really captivated by the content. I have not read any other reviews for this book.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 5:22 pm by HRichards.

sonya01

I wasn’t sure about this book at first based on the title. Although the cover is bright and quite attractive, the storyline seemed to be dominated by men, and I was concerned that I wouldn’t relate to it. I needn’t have worried. This was the most charming story, written in such a way that it appealed to me immensely, even though I’m female! I love traveling and am always open to trying new foods, so the beginning of this book caught my interest immediately. I was pleased that the OBC reviewer gave this book such a high recommendation, because I loved the sample. The writing was clear and flowed well. There were no mistakes at all in the sample, indicating that editing was done carefully. I really liked the way the author flashed back to times when the travel plans were first formulated, interspersing these with anecdotes about the actual trip. There was nothing I didn’t like about this story and will be reading it for sure. I cannot make any suggestions for improvement as everything is just right, as far as I’m concerned. I liked the look of this one.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 5:57 pm by sonya01.

ritah

Based on the cover and title, I would have sampled the book because the cover appealed to me. I read the official review and sampled Man Mission. I liked that the narrator realized how much he'd misjudged Sam when he finally agreed for Sam to tag along with him. I did not spot any errors in the pages I read. I will be reading the rest of the narrative because it captured my interest.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 6:12 pm by ritah.

Choine

I wasn’t particularly interested in reading this book based on the cover. It sounded like some modern version of a John Wayne adventure, and those aren’t interesting to me. I do not plan on buying this book. The travel element doesn’t appeal to me. After reading the first ten pages, I did not notice any typos or errors. The book seems to be professionally edited. I liked that there was a story behind how the two Australian men met. I’m not sure what could be improved. Personally, I could have done without the curse words. I did find an official review for this book on onlinebookclub.org.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 6:42 pm by Choine.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read pure romance books. However, I thought that the cover was unique. I liked the combination of white text against a red background. Having read the sample, I liked how the author began with positive reviews of the book. It gives the reader a good impression of the book, even before reading its contents. Further, I liked the use of illustrations and maps in the sample. I found a few minor editing errors such as missing punctuation marks (for example, in chapter one, the sentence is "On the first day we met I had been looking.." - there should have been a comma after the word "met"). However, overall, the book seemed professionally edited. I do not read the genre usually, and hence, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 11:26 pm by AA1495.

Nisha Ward

I'd wanted to read this based on the cover alone for a while now. However, I can't really say that anymore. While it is well edited and engaging (their encounter with the cows earned a chuckle from me), I'm clearly not the target audience and I can't surmount that obstacle this time. It's a no for me but readers who are into manly, masculine stuff should check it out.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2019, at 11:52 pm by Nisha Ward.

Gravy

I am not inclined toward this type of book. I would not have sampled it, and the sample did not change my mind. I did not notice any errors.
I must admit, I was predisposed to having a problem with this book (I still have a problem with the whine bracelet being pink. Why pink? Implying that whoever is the whiniest is somehow feminine? As if that isn't extremely sexist), but it wasn't as bad as I anticipated. I enjoyed a bit of the humor, like them freaking out about the cows. I did not enjoy how the women in the book were written. They were one dimensional and felt like they were only there to fill roles: the "girlfriend" role, the "fiancé" role, and of course, the "bimbo!" Not encouraging to me as a reader.
Also, I did NOT know that there were no snakes native to New Zealand. This little bit of knowledge fascinated me, so I very much appreciate that.
I do appreciate that it wasn't as "dude bro" as I expected. Despite that, this just isn't my sort of fiction, so I don't plan on reading it. There was a review for this book, but that does not affect my opinion.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2019, at 12:39 am by Gravy.

Kelyn

If I had not been a member of this program, it is unlikely that the author, title, genre, blurb, or customer reviews would have enticed me to pick up this book. The author is unknown to me and the 'travel' genre is not one that I normally read. Neither is the travel genre. Given this, it is unlikely that I would have read the blurb or reviews, giving them no chance to influence me. While I found the sample entertaining, it did not lead me to want to finish the book. I have read bits and pieces of this book in the past and know that the adventures the friends go on are often humorous. But in the end, it remains something of a memoir/travel book so I do not have confidence that I would enjoy the entire thing. It did seem to be professionally edited. I found no errors.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2019, at 1:23 am by Kelyn.

Fuzaila

The cover isn't very attractive and neither was the blurb. But the sample seemed really interesting. I still haven't caught the protagonist's name, but the sample story really interested me. The story of a man fed up of his boring life as a practicing lawyer, trying to decide whether it was possible for him to leave it for a few days to fulfill his youthful ambition to go on an adventurous trip was incredible. I really related to the protagonist and Sam. Sam's personality is also developing well. And the starting of the story where the character is thinking of his imminent death adds mystery. The writing is engaging and seems to be edited professionally. I even had to look up words like 'nosh'. The sample got me hooked so I'll definitely give this book a go.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2019, at 1:32 am by Fuzaila.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb, OBC review, cover and title. After reading the first ten pages, I won’t be finishing this book solely because I don’t want to pay for a book that I don’t have time to finish reading. I actually enjoyed the sample, but I don’t have enough time to read this book. I thought the story of the guys trying to hike a trail they weren’t actually prepared for seemed like something my husband and his friends might do. I also liked that it switched to a flashback of introducing Rachel to the group. The book did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2019, at 3:35 am by anneloretrujillo.

briellejee

Based on the cover and title, I think I would have sampled the book since it looks like an adventure to different countries, and I like learning about other cultures. As for the first few pages, I like the author's way of storytelling. By introducing the beginning of his friendship with Sam, it was heartwarming to see have read such a pure encounter of a friend. And then they began their travels too, soon after the first one. I especially liked the one where they thought they have enemies or going to die, but apparently, those were just cows. The humor aspect is good and actually make the reading experience worthwhile. However, I still didn't find a thing to keep me going. The writing style is good, but I don't think it suited me. I guess I'm just not the right audience for this book. Thus, I will not be buying the book. I found an error, a missing comma in the 14% of the sample: "After noshing(,) we sat...". The review was persuasive enough to tell me to sample the book.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2019, at 4:20 am by briellejee.

Ekta Kumari

I wouldn't have read this book as I wasn't enticed by the summary. After sampling it, I would say it's a nice light-hearted read. This is not just a travel journal but also an account of some significant moments from the author's life. I enjoyed his writing and storytelling. He has a sense of humour that is evident in his writing and makes the read more pleasurable. There were no error, and the book seems professionally edited. I'll not be reading it as I doubt I'll enjoy the whole book that reads like a memoir, and I'm not a fan of those, though I would recommend the read to travelers and also anyone who likes a heart-warming read. Those interested can check out the official review.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2019, at 4:36 am by Ekta Kumari.

Vickie Noel

I wouldn't have sampled this book outside the program. I'm not attracted to the cover or even the title. After reading the sample, my opinion hasn't changed. I got bored quickly and couldn't detect any hint of romance at the beginning. Also, the too much narration got me tired. I didn't find any errors though. The OBC review didn't influence my decision.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2019, at 4:46 am by Vickie Noel.

OliviaLouise

I really like the cover image and the review made this sound interesting. However, after reading the sample, I did not like the way the book skipped around in time. First the narrator is in a car full of drugs in one timeline at 9% of the sample. Then there is a flashback to when he is back in college at a food fair. And then following that is a flash-forward within the flashback to where he is working in an office at 18% of the sample. It was really disorienting. I did not find any editing errors, but due to the confusing timelines I will not be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2019, at 4:48 am by OliviaLouise.

MsH2k

I would have read the blurb and sampled this book even if I had not been part of this program. The cover is wonderfully colorful and captured my attention. The sample pages quickly removed any doubts I had about this being so testosterone filled that I would not enjoy it. A character-based novel that involves travel and friendships is a great combination for me. I will buy this book. I did not notice any grammatical errors in the sample pages. The featured OnlineBookClub review had no bearing on my decision to read this book.

First Ten review added on January 1, 2020, at 11:05 am by MsH2k.

Katie Canedy

I had sampled this book when it was Book of the Day one time before. I sampled it because I liked the cover art depicting all of the different countries. I liked the plot that entails having four men go on adventures around the world together and enjoying the little things that life has to offer. Because of the interesting story, I will be giving Man Mission a read. I don't think that the author needs to do anything to improve their book; I couldn't find anything that I disliked. The sample did not contain any noticeable grammatical errors. The Official OnlineBookClub Review was well-written and provided lots of information about the book, which positively influenced me to read Man Mission.

First Ten review added on January 1, 2020, at 12:29 pm by Katie Canedy.

Nickolas Farmakis

I would not have read this book, as I was not intrigued by the title, the book cover, or the description, as I am not interested in books related to travel. I will not read this book, as I found it boring, monotonous and unoriginal. The storyline was very cliche, as it was about two men who went on a hike in New Zealand, and there was not much creativity in the book. The sample I read did not contain errors, so this book has been professionally edited. What I liked most in this book was that it contained some suspense, tension, and drama, which engages the reader. To improve, the author must be more original and creative, while he should also remove the profane words from the book that distract the reader. The book has an Official OnlineBookClub review, but this did not change my opinion.

First Ten review added on January 1, 2020, at 3:23 pm by Nickolas Farmakis.

LeDiplomatique

I would not have chosen this book by looking at the cover because it looks like an educational book on computers. I assumed it was a Sci-fi when I read the title initially. Reading the first ten pages changed my opinion of the book. It turned out to be exhilarating and I am planning to read the whole book. I did not come across any errors. I most like the author's style of narration because he has a unique way of tickling the ribs with his narration. The book has a beautifully-written, official review which compelled me to seek the book out.

First Ten review added on January 1, 2020, at 3:24 pm by LeDiplomatique.

B Creech

I would not have chosen to check out this book based on the title or the cover. After reading the official review, I am intrigued. I enjoy books about friendships. After reading the first ten pages, I am hooked and have to read the rest of this book. I did not see any errors in the first ten pages, and based on what I have read, I did not find anything I would change or say needs improving. My favorite part is when the protagonist and Sam woke up the morning after their first night of hiking in New Zealand and discovered they had pitched their tent in a cow pasture. I'm looking forward to discovering where the characters travel to and what their experience is like in each place!

First Ten review added on January 1, 2020, at 8:22 pm by B Creech.

Lunastella

I absolutely love the cover of this book. I think it truly depicts what the story is about. The catchphrase is great too and so far I would've been tempted to pick up the book. I think the blurb is very well written but the plot is very much outside of my comfort zone and what I usually read. I'm not very outdoorsy and not really into "adventure" books. So far, I was on the fence. However, the last line of the blurb finally convinced me: "in a world where the traditional rules of "being a man" are no longer clear". It's so true that gender roles and expectations used to be crystal clear and, although social evolution is a great thing, it's also confusing and hard to navigate. I've read a lot about the changes in the female role so I was enthusiastic to read the opposite side. In short, even just from first impressions, I would read this book. Sampling the first ten pages just hyped me up more. The titles of the charter are witty and funny, the beginning that involves "four loaded guns, and some kilo brick of drugs" is intriguing and I found myself gladly surprised at being able to relate to the narrator that finds himself trapped in a rut because that's what "grown-ups" are supposed to do. That was my favorite asset of the book: that even if I'm not a man, the narrative is very relatable and honest. The book seems professionally edited and I didn't find mistakes. I don't think anything needs improvement. It has an official review that heightened my enthusiasm. I will read this book and I'm excited about it!

First Ten review added on January 1, 2020, at 8:35 pm by Lunastella.

Mbrooks2518

This book's summary didn't catch my interest at first, so I wouldn't have read the sample without The First Ten. However, I became a lot more interested after reading the first ten pages and the official review, and I've decided to buy the book. I liked the opening of the book with the narrator in a truck with guns and drugs. It shows the kind of shenanigans the characters are going to get into.

I found an error on page one that said, "On the day we first met I had been looking for someone to go with me to the Food Fair on campus." There should be a comma after "met." Besides this error, there is nothing that needs to be improved.

First Ten review added on January 1, 2020, at 8:46 pm by Mbrooks2518.

AvidBibliophile

The cover art is eye-catchingly eclectic, and I appreciate that the parallel column layout is loosely representative of a folded travel brochure. The Amazon product description is brief enough to seem digestible, but detailed enough to entice prospective readers with adventures to New Zealand, Fiji, South Africa, Peru, and Iceland. Within the book itself, the illustrated maps are a nice touch. On page 1, there is a comma missing in: "On the day we first met(,) I had been looking..." On page 2, a comma is missing in: "For almost two hours(,) Sam and I meandered..." On page 8, a comma is missing in: "In the remote New Zealand countryside(,) we were completely alone." For a story that begins with hungover college guys, and exotic foods, I was honestly uninvested from the start, since these are not things I resonate with, but I can definitely picture a couple of guys prepared to fight off tent intruders with a propane tank and a can of beans. This book appears to have been professionally edited, other than continued issues with commas. The impressive number of published OBC reviews all award this book a perfect score, and while dozens more Amazon user ratings add to the glowing remarks, it's nice that some subjective variation is present. Egos, adrenaline, uninhibited masculinity, reckless distraction tactics, and wilderness-foodie adventures do not appeal to me personally, so I will not be finishing this book, but I suspect it will continue to gain reader fans and grow in popularity!

First Ten review added on January 1, 2020, at 9:43 pm by AvidBibliophile.

sanjus

When I saw the book cover and read the review, I got the impression that this book would be taking me to different parts of the world, so I would have chosen to read this book. After reading the first ten pages, that impression came down a little bit because I found editing errors like for example "Even if I immediately knew it was a fanciful idea-one that could never happen in reality-so I tried to deflect.", which needs editing because I have to read such sentences twice to understand the meaning. I would wait for some time to buy this book until the book gets at least a round of editing so that my reading would be at a fast pace and pleasurable. I may not buy it today, but once it gets edited I would buy.

First Ten review added on January 1, 2020, at 10:16 pm by sanjus.

Shrabastee

I had already included this book in my TBR list from a previous BOTD. The cover is appealing, and the featured official OBC review piqued my interest even more. The pages I sampled were without any editing errors. The pace was smooth and fast, befitting the theme. I can already sense the thrill the trips to the exotic places are going to offer. I will definitely read this book.

First Ten review added on January 2, 2020, at 12:02 am by Shrabastee.

MarisaRose

I enjoy literary fiction, and after reading the blurb for "Man Mission" I was intrigued by the male perspective of this story. Novels about relationships and friendships tend to focus on female characters, so this novel seemed unique and interesting. That being said, I would want to sample the author's writing before deciding whether or not to purchase this book. Further, an OBC review might sway my opinion in this case because I'd be curious to know what a reviewer thought of the writing style, themes and characterization. Therefore, I would not purchase this book blindly. After sampling the first ten pages, my initial thoughts were that "Man Mission" starts out with a bang. The opening scene sees a main character running from someone/something with a car full of weapons and drugs. This wasn't quite what I was expecting from this book after reading the book blurb; however, I was intrigued enough to keep reading. But after the initial excitement, I started to be confused by the narrative. It seems like the narrator jumps through large periods of time as he describes one of his friendships and how he always had a fantasy of going on an annual trip with his friends to an exotic location. Next, it's three years later and the narrator is working an entry level desk job. Over the first ten pages, I failed to feel connected to the narrator, and I think that was mostly due to the lack of focus in the beginning of the novel. As for the writing, I didn't notice any grammatical errors in the text, and I found the narrative engaging. Unfortunately, I was put off by the scattered feeling of the sample, so I don't plan to read any more of this book.

First Ten review added on January 2, 2020, at 6:23 am by MarisaRose.

Aubrey Lewis

The overall appearance of the book seems blurry and not very eye-catching, in my opinion. When I read through the official OBC review, I became interested with the story since it's all about friendship and traveling to beautiful places. When I finished sampling the first ten pages, I decided to read the rest of the book. The contents seemed professionally edited so far, and I liked the light and captivating writing style the author incorporated in the book. Usually, I prefer stories with third-person POV, but the main character in this book alongside his friend Sam since university were interesting enough to make me keep reading. Since I enjoyed the book so far, I don't think there are any improvements the author needs to make.

First Ten review added on January 2, 2020, at 7:23 am by Aubrey Lewis.

Momiji1987

I like the way the book begins with the narrator meeting his friend Sam and judging him prematurely. He thought he was a dumb jock with nothing in common, but he was actually intellectual and shared his dream to go to exotic locations and explore. I like that the book takes us through these men’s lives and their adventures. The book is well-written and I saw zero errors. The review was positive too, so it interested me in checking out the sample. I’ll probably pass on this book for now because I don’t typically read books in this genre. I’ll consider it in the future.

First Ten review added on January 2, 2020, at 6:38 pm by Momiji1987.

Howlan

I like the cover. A plain red coloured left half and an exotic diversity on the right. I think these two parts show the dull life in the left, and the exotic trips in the right. So on seeing the cover, a real sense of adventure comes into focus. I would definitely be interested in it. The book starts with a real adventure, hiking in New Zealand. Also, the author keeps the plot from becoming too monotonous by introducing flashbacks from his regular life. I loved the interactions among his social circle, basically an offstage sitcom, but that breathed life in, what could be a boring travel log. So, I am going to buy this book. No typos were found in the first ten pages. The Official Review is present, and the reviewer rates it highly.

First Ten review added on January 2, 2020, at 11:21 pm by Howlan.

jeminah28

I sampled the book and the beginning of the story hooks me to read the rest of the book. I liked the fast-paced journey of the protagonist with Sam. They are venturing in New Zealand, adds to my excitement in flicking through the pages. Plus, the cover photo conveys me, a fast paced drama involving legal matters. The OBC review ignites me to give this book a try. I wonder how the two friends will able to maintain their friendship under pressure. The books professionally edited since I did not notice any typos in the portion I read.

First Ten review added on January 3, 2020, at 2:35 am by jeminah28.

Total ~ 36%

Man Mission earned a score of 36%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 36% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Man Mission

https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/authors/blurb.php?topic_id=129687&bookid=30237