Cover for The Unbound Soul

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment

Because The Unbound Soul was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

Gravy

I would not have looked at this book. Self help just doesn't appeal to me.
The sample was interesting and mostly well written (no errors that I saw, but some of the opening got a little muddy and confused), but it did not change my mind about it.
I like the bit that I read, and I appreciate the author's journey, specifically how it began, but knowing that this turns into a self help work book prevents me from wanting to read it.
There was a review for this book, but my opinion is not affected by that fact.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2019, at 1:46 am by Gravy.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Fuzaila

The cover looks great. The writing is professionally edited. I liked the promising Foreword by Ziad Masri and the quote he included of Carl Jung. But even while reading the foreword, I could tell that I would still end up questioning the authenticity of the events in the book. The preface seemed like a call for attention, for the author to promote his other books, which I didn't like. I also didn't like how the author kept insinuating about the 'fundamental truth' without actually giving any hint as to what it really is. But I love it that he decided to use photographic proof for his claims. Either way, I'm not in the mood for spiritual awakening, and I'm not essentially a fan of the genre. This book didn't give me any reason not to feel that way, so I won't be buying it.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2019, at 1:01 am by Fuzaila.

Dolor

Without The First Ten program, I wouldn't have chosen to read this book because I feel like there are matters discussed in this book that I might not agree on. The cover looked celestial and refreshing at the same time. Here are the matters written in the first pages that I don't agree on:
1. Jesus was the heroic Son of God, who used the power of love to save people and perform great miracles.
2. Some of the parents were already Christians of various denominations, but according to Mrs. Pacetti that did not matter, as only Born Again Christians were truly saved.
Here are the errors I found in the first ten pages:
*wrong grammar*
We played cowboys and Indians, hide-and-seek, and war; we built forts, constructing teepees from dill weed and dried grass.

I had no idea what the Bible was, but after he said that we’d burn in Hell for not attending, we all signed up on the spot.

We were to convert our parents, for if they weren’t Born Again then surely they would burn in Hell for eternity.

Richard (as an eight-year-old boy) was confused which resurrection story in the Bible was correct - the resurrection story of Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. I don't like to read on. I will bypass reading this book. Richard L. Haight's "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" is a #NonFiction book that chronicles the author's journey and discussess matters about #Beliefs, #Reincarnation, #Spirituality, #Meditation, and #Enlightenment.

#Memoir #enlightening #awakening #spiritual #selfhelp #guide

First Ten review added on March 2, 2019, at 4:21 am by Dolor.

Firefawkes

Strictly based on the cover and blurb, this is not a book I would normally have picked up because it does not appeal to my sense of adventure. Unfortunately, the first 10 pages did not change my mind on the matter, and I will not be continuing to read this book for the reason mentioned above. While there were no glaring errors in the first 10 pages, one that I did note was on page 3, line 17: "true cause of our suffering [remove comma] and the deceptively simple but". Aside from that one error, the book appears to be professionally edited.
I liked the amount of passion the author obviously has for the subjects he writes on, which would definitely make this book appealing to like-minded individuals. Aside from the subject matter itself, there is nothing I disliked about the writing style or content.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 10:29 pm by Firefawkes.

britt13

The official review did a great job of talking the book up and laying out what it had to offer but I was not excited or really interested. This is just not my type of book. While I am religious, I find texts like this often annoy me. Nevertheless, I set out to read the first ten pages. I will start with I really do enjoy the cover. So many non-fiction books start with a list of questions it seems and it is getting a bit old. I also did not like the huge lettering for the quotes after the Preface. It also seemed very cluttered with a forward, preface, and introduction. I hate to sound harsh, but for me, this was just like many other spiritual texts I have read. I think I would actually be more interested in "Insperience: Meditation Unbound", Haight's other book. I did find no errors in the text but I will not be reading on for the aforementioned reasons.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 9:10 pm by britt13.

Jsovermyer

The cover art and title, The Unbound Soul, are interesting and appealing. This book would be helpful to people looking for enlightenment and spirituality. The official review rated this book highly, but I did not like it that well. The language was very flowery with a lot of complex sentences. I prefer writing that is simple and straightforward. I also found several grammatical errors. In location 288 there is the following sentence, "In such a case we carry on entrapped in mind, not realizing that we have another option." This should be written as "in the mind" or "in our mind". Because of the writing style and because the book's topic is not interesting to me, I will not be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 9:06 pm by Jsovermyer.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read pure romance books. However, the image of a person meditating and the background image of an eye caught my attention. Having read the sample, I liked how the author included a thoughtful quote before the introduction. Further, I liked the way that the author introduced himself. It allowed me to connect with him and what he had to say. However, I found the introductory pages rather long and could not wait for the actual content to begin. While the book seems professionally edited overall, I would have liked better formatting (the quote was in a very large font size as compared to the rest of the text and I would have liked more spacing between paragraphs). Since I do not read the genre usually, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 8:57 pm by AA1495.

KristyKhem

The cover design, title, and blurb greatly appealed to me because I enjoy reading books about spiritual enlightenment. The reviews on Amazon also praised the book highly so I knew it was an exceptional book. Therefore, I would have bought and read this book. The sample was intriguing and left me wanting to read more. I liked that the author included his own personal spiritual experiences. I felt touched when he described dreaming of Jesus who was lying on the floor asking him for help. Jesus’ words, ‘Find my bones, for they are the core of my teaching’ spoke volumes to my own inner self, because like the author, I have had religious dreams in the past. I also liked reading about the author’s challenges, because it made him seem more of a realistic person. I truly felt like I was getting a deep insight into his life. One challenging time in his life was when John, the ranch hand, was arrested for being a convicted felon. The author described this as his personal apocalypse because he felt like an accomplice since he had known about it, and this led him into depression. I did not come across any noteworthy errors in the sample. My reading experience was enjoyable. I would definitely buy and read this book.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 5:51 pm by KristyKhem.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Sweet Psamy

If I had not sampled the first ten pages of this book, I would have chosen to read it because of its title and cover page.This is because they are both captivating. I would buy and read the whole book because I also see spiritual visions and would love to hear the author's personal teachings about spiritual visions.Reading the first ten pages did not change my mind about buying and reading the whole book.

The book appeared not to have been professionally edited.I found one error: "They were surprised but said religion was an adult subject, and that we would have to discuss it as adults."

What I like most in the bit I read, was the author's personal life story. I also loved the way the author introduced spiritual concepts at the beginning of the book. I think the use of simpler words could enhance the story and its revelational teachings.

The book didn't have an official OnlineBookClub review that I saw.This also did not affect my decision because of its captivating title and cover page.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 5:09 pm by Sweet Psamy.

Kajori50

'Unbound Soul' is a book written by Richard L. Haight. The title, blurb, the OBC review, and the customer reviews in Amazon did a good job of convincing me to give the book a try.

The first ten pages of the book leads me to believe that it is a spiritual book. The book explores spiritual awakening. I like the way the author included his own life story in the first part of the book. I did not find any error. I consider it to be professionally edited. I will give this book a try as I like the writing style of the author. Also, I would like to know more about the subject.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 3:06 pm by Kajori50.

BelleReadsNietzsche

I like spiritual memoirs, but this one looks too New Age for me. Even the four-star OBC review seem to acknowledge that those who did not enjoy New Age spirituality would not enjoy this book. Additionally, the fact that the latest addition as a significant word count does not appeal to me. All of the books with a high word count that I have come across through online book review so far have been in desperate need of trimming down. Even my favorite classic self-help, spirituality, and/or memoir books have been diminished by new editions that contain “new content” that does not add anything significant.

The book’s sample did not change my mind. The fact that the forward is by an author of something called “Reality Unveiled“ made me roll my eyes. I also have no ability to tolerate a phrase like “Isness Inspirience,” not just because it seems silly, but also because of the sheer unnecessary mutilation it does to the English language. I can be on-board with creative (mis)use of language if it adds clarity and itself makes a compelling point; I didn’t feel that here. I did like the part of the process where the author ask questions about the creative process and inspiration, and I like spiritual books and now that I appreciated the quote from the Dow diverging. After reading the sample, I suspect the book might be a mix of things I like and things I really, really do not like. I will probably skip this one because there are so many other books out there, or skim it at best. That being said, the editing appears impeccable.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 11:01 am by BelleReadsNietzsche.

This book appears to have been Book of the Day more than once. Only responses from the most recent Book of the Day focus group are shown. Older responses have been hidden by default to avoid confusion. If you would like to also view the older first ten responses, you can unhide them by clicking the button below.

Show Older Responses

Total ~ 27%

The Unbound Soul earned a score of 27%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 27% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for The Unbound Soul

https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/authors/blurb.php?topic_id=129687&bookid=30237