Cover for The Unbound Soul

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment

Because The Unbound Soul was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as I don't read self-help books. Neither the cover nor the blurb appealed to me. As I have no need for spiritual guidance, my original opinion hasn't changed. This autobiography relates the author's enlightenment and his quest for "unbound freedom" starting with the his childhood. While I applaud the author's wish to pass his spiritual findings, I have no interest in those. The author lost me when he mentioned visions and finding Jesus. I liked the scene where the author's father explained to him that there isn't one absolute truth, and that one doesn't need to follow any specific belief system to be "saved". While a book that explores spirituality sounds uplifting, it isn't something that interests me. The book was well written, always a plus. I won't read the book, as it is not a genre I enjoy reading. The official review didn't sway my decision either way.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 9:00 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

desantismt_17

This book’s title and description made me curious. I’m interested by books about finding one’s inner path and self. Before sampling, I was thinking about reading. After sampling, I’ll give this a try. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed no errors. The introduction set down ideas I’ve seen elsewhere, ideas I wish to understand more. The idea of removing blockages in the mind to find a calmer, more loving state is one I strive toward. The writing style here was easy to follow, informational without being preachy. Once part 1 began, I found the author’s story interesting and relevant to the ideas discussed in the introduction. I have no improvements to suggest at this time. The OnlineBookClub.org review listed some concepts discussed later in the book that are of interest to me. Looking forward to reading more.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 9:30 am by desantismt_17.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Camille Turner

I would not have sampled this book without the program because I really don't like spiritual books like this. It's clear from the title, subtitle, cover, and Amazon blurb that it's a book about enlightenment and awakening, which I simply do not believe in, in terms of the spiritual definition. After reading the first ten pages, I believe the book to be professionally edited as I didn't see any errors. My impression has not changed, as the book reminds me of many other books in the spirituality genre. Like this one, they usually start with generic definitions of the terms and ideas they'll use and then go into personal anecdotes. In this case, the author talks about turning away from "mind" (he doesn't use it with an article, but as more of a state-of-being, I suppose) and toward consciousness. He then details being 8 years old and being introduced to religion by his friend's mom. He discusses it with his parents and in the end, begins to have vivid dreams of Jesus. I will not finish this book because the whole basis is on things I don't believe in and don't like. However, I do think it will appeal to those who like this genre, and I don't think there's anything that could be improved for the intended audience. I suppose the one thing I did like about the book was the author's writing style when it came to telling the anecdotes. He has a knack for including nice details like the stucco house and the games he and his friends played. Unfortunately, I just don't like the content for the reasons I've already outlined.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 10:08 am by Camille Turner.

Mercy Bolo

Judging by the cover, I wasn't going to read this book, but the OBC review urged me on when it mentioned that it's about the author's journey to spirituality. When I read the first ten pages, I liked that the author's parents helped him understand the Bible better, and compared different versions of the Bible with him. I noticed errors, which is a capitalization of the first line of the chapters. That's the only thing I would change about the book. I will, however, not read the rest of the book because its contents didn't interest me.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 10:28 am by Mercy Bolo.

Kendra M Parker

I do not enjoy self-help books in general, so I typically avoid them, especially if they are religious or spiritual in nature. I’ve seen this one pop up before a few times, and I always flip right past it because I can see by the title and cover that it is not something I will appreciate based on my own religious convictions. The official review on this one was interesting and basically confirmed many of my suspicions about this book. As I read the first ten pages, I was impressed with the way that the author wrote clearly and without errors. As I read the author’s description of the “adult conversation” he had with his parents when he was 8, I could appreciate what he was saying, but it confirmed again that this is not a book for me. I will pass on reading this one.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 10:57 am by Kendra M Parker.

cpru68

The opening pages of this book start with the author’s first exposure to spirituality by way of a neighbor introducing him to the Bible. Once hearing that only those who are born again can get to heaven, he fears that his parents will die and go to hell. He goes home, tries to convert them, and has an open discussion of what the Bible says and the various translations of it. This quiets his fears, however, it leads to a visit from Jesus who asks for his help in exposing the truth to people and the falsehoods that many religions have made their followers believe. I liked the ease with which it was to read this. Sometimes books of this nature can be rather vague and complex, but I did not feel that way with this at all. The author’s points are clear and he wishes to help readers with their spirituality. I found no errors in the portion I read, and the review made it sound like this has been professionally edited throughout. I will be reading this one and reviewing it. So, today, I won’t be purchasing it, but I will be downloading it through the online book club for free to read and review. I have already added it to my want to read list. I do generally read books in this genre, but the market is flooded with them, so I don’t know if I would have found this on my own without the book club leading me to it. The review helped solidify my decision to read it and do my own review.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 11:31 am by cpru68.

HRichards

I would not have picked this book up on my own, as spiritual books aren't really of interest to me. After reading the sample, I will not be continuing on with the book, as I really didn't find any of it that interesting or applicable. I'm sure someone who is more into New Age philosophy would find this more to their taste. In the sample the author gives his background and about his spiritual search as a child, including visions he had. The writing style is good, but I find the topic rather boring, as there isn't much action in the sample. I didn't notice sentence errors, but the author does grammatically take license in using capitals freely to express things he thinks are important (Rightness, Born Again Christian, etc). I have not read any other reviews of this book.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 12:04 pm by HRichards.

ritah

Based on the cover and genre, I wouldn't have sampled the book because I don't usually read books in this genre and category. I read the official review and then sampled The Unbound Soul. I liked the author's parents reaction when their young son approached them about religion for the first time and their response to Mrs. Pacetti's warning. The book appears to be professionally edited as I did not find any errors in the pages I read. I won't be reading the rest of the book because the content is not for me.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 12:15 pm by ritah.

cristinaro

Since I am not a reader of self-help or spiritual books, I wouldn't have chosen this book without the first ten program. Regardless of this, I have to admit I like the title and cover and I was impressed by the high number of positive editorial and customer reviews. I guess I am not ready for the revelations the author mentions in the introduction and I became rather skeptical when he referred to his visions. Once again when he starts telling his story I couldn't help myself smiling at his exaggerated pretensions of "elevating mankind out of the frequencies of disharmony." I appreciate the author's intention to be of assistance to others and help them to understand the benefits of spiritual unfoldment. However, I have profound reservations about the verity of the stories he writes down. To start a lifelong quest from the frightened dreams of an 8-year-old boy seems quite unlikely. Although I couldn't find any editing errrors in the sample, I am not tempted to read the book. The OBC reviewer resonated with the author's teachings, but I am afraid they will not work for me even if I aspire to reach inner freedom too.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 1:04 pm by cristinaro.

Laura Bach

"The Unbound Soul" is a self-help book about finding the path to spirituality. The author describes his childhood as a normal period until he has a dream of Jesus giving him a purpose. At the beginning of the book, the author tries to establish his and the reader's roles and make a difference between mind and consciousness. I found no grammar mistakes. I don't usually read self-help books or books about spirituality, so I won't continue reading this one and I wouldn't have tried it in the first place.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 1:20 pm by Laura Bach.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I wouldn’t have read it. I really have no interest in self-help / spiritual books and there is nothing here that interested me from the blurb. After reading the first ten pages I didn’t change my mind and therefore will not be buying and reading the rest of this book. I did enjoy the frankness of the author and how his personal history led into the rest of his book. By identifying early on conflicting ideology in the Christian faith and then identifying the reasons behind his dreams to be that much of what is preached about Jesus is wrong. That being said, I don’t read self-help books, and despite the humour and frank approach, it isn’t enough to convince me to read it. I didn’t see anything specific that I would have wanted to change within the sample that I read, but it did seem well written and edited. The official review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 1:51 pm by Scerakor.

CataclysmicKnight

When I first saw this book I assumed it was a self-help/spiritual type of book but didn't really know any specifics about it; if I saw only the title and cover I would've likely passed it by since there are so many books in the genre out there. Once I read the Amazon description things took another turn: I loved that this is a story, rather than merely being a typical non-fiction spiritual book. In fact, I don't even know if this is fiction or not, but either way I was sold on a story far more than something more textbook-ish.

So far I'm really enjoying this book. I appreciate that the main character faces the same issues with religions that I do, and there were a few very interesting bits such as his visions about a boneless Jesus asking him to "find his bones" and finding a bit of spirituality via his karate teacher. I haven't seen any errors, but there was one questionable line: "be careful not to attach a feeling of special to it." Aside from this one instance in the introduction I found no errors in either of the first two chapters, and everything seems very well edited.

However, while I'm interested in the rest of the book, I'm not interested in it enough to buy a copy. If it was free I could see maybe finishing it sometime, but I just wasn't hooked enough to buy it.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 2:40 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

hsimone

If it wasn't for this program, I would not have sampled this book. The cover, title, blurb, and genre are not of interest or relevant to me. Even though there are several positive customer and OBC ratings, I still would not have sampled this read. Based on what I read, the book could use another round of editing. For instance, the sentence, "In this work I often use the word 'spiritual' for ease of communication.", is missing a comma after the transitional phrase, "In this work". While reading, it's pretty clear that the author has thought a lot about the topic at hand. It was interesting to read the conversation between the author's younger self and his father about God and how the God they respected would not send people to Hell if they weren't Born Again Christians. However, I personally don't feel a connection with the author. Though it's interesting to read about going to college early, his family's help (John) being a wanted felon, his struggles with dojo, his drinking and smoking, and preparing for suicide, all of these are not relatable to my life and experiences. Due to not connecting with the author and the fact that self-help books aren't for me, I do not plan on buying and reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 2:41 pm by hsimone.

melissy370

I would never read this book because of the author's beliefs. The author's writing style is very eloquent and I can see where some would be attracted to this book. His childhood memory of a woman telling him to convert his parents to be "Born Again Christians" is sad because I don't think she portrayed Christianity correctly. Nevertheless, I would still not read this book because of the author's assertion on who Jesus really is. I did not see any errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 2:42 pm by melissy370.

Julie Green

I would not choose to read this book based on the title or cover; it is clearly a self-help book, which is not a genre I enjoy. The shade of green on the cover is not warm or engaging. Having read the opening pages, I will not be reading the rest of the book.
The language is too flowery and hyperbolic e.g."anxiety and fear are blockages that the apocalypse breaks down." On the plus side, the author tells a good tale when recounting how as a child she was pressured into trying to convert her parents to become born-again Christians. In particular, the author paints the scene well as you can hear the father asking if she is prepared to have an adult conversation - it feels true to life. I am just not convinced enough by the author that there will be anything new or relevant for me to learn in the rest of the book. I did not spot any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 3:30 pm by Julie Green.

sarahmarlowe

If I hadn't been offered the first ten pages of this book to read, I probably would not have picked it up. The cover shows someone meditating, and I am not really into that. I assumed from the cover that The Unbound Soul would be directed toward an audience who may be a little more open to information on mind trips and offbeat religious experiences. And, apparently the cover projects the right message, because that's what I got from Haight's First Ten. I won't be reading the rest of this book. While this book seemed well-written and professionally edited, this is just not my genre. I do believe in religious visions and messages, but the author's beliefs and mine don't match. I liked the author's openness and willingness to share his beliefs. He seems very honest about his experiences and willingness to help others. That's beautiful, and I don't think you can improve on that. There are OBC reviews, but they wouldn't have changed my mind because this book is just not for me.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 3:35 pm by sarahmarlowe.

Yolimari

I would have sampled this book because I read and reviewed another book by Haight titled Inspirience: Meditation Unbound, and I enjoyed it. The OBC review about this book was excellent and reassured my interest in it. The author’s life sounds interesting, and I would like to learn from his spiritual experiences. After I read the sample pages, I thought the book was professionally edited. I liked that he is going to elaborate on the difference between the mind and consciousness. It was sweet reading how his parents dealt with his questions about God. I will this book because I like reading and learning about spirituality, meditation, and health practices.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 4:22 pm by Yolimari.

Sarah_Khan

I would not have picked this book up if it was not part of the first ten pages because I am not a fan of spiritual books. I also thought the amazon blurb was very vague. Even though the first ten pages seem to be professionally edited, I was left very confused. I do not really understand the author's goal. He talks about a relevation but I was never sure what the relevation was about. In conclusion, this book is not my cup of tea and I did not feel the need to read any OBC review.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 6:16 pm by Sarah_Khan.

LV2R

Though I was not attracted to the book’s cover, I did like the title. The Amazon Blurb mentioned many details of the book that made me want to read the sample. It stated that the book was a memoir of the author and that the book was a powerful guide revealing really simple truths with a potential to illuminate and change your life. I best liked the author explaining “unfoldment” and “realization” in the sample. Things we may be unaware of in our lives are blocking us from seeing and being aware of things required for arriving at truth. Though I am sure that I will not agree with everything the author believes, I like that I can read about the author’s travels and experiences and apply the things that I find useful; therefore, I want to read the book. The book seems to be edited well, as I did not notice any errors. The OBC review included that the author has instructional exercises on meditation, dance, diet, and exercise. These will be interesting to read about as well.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 7:26 pm by LV2R.

lavellan

I probably would have not read The Unbound Soul if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. The Book of the Day review was positive, but I am not very interested in spirituality. The book seemed like it was professionally edited and I did not notice any errors while reading. I enjoyed how the author supported his point regarding the inconsistencies in the tale of Jesus' resurrection. I found it far-fetched that the author was visited in his dreams by Jesus. As I am not very interested in spirituality, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 7:35 pm by lavellan.

BunnySTx

After reading a few pages of, The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight, I have decided that I will not be purchasing this book. When I first saw the cover of this book, my interest was piqued. I initially thought, before a closer look, that this was a fantasy novel. After I got a closer look at this book, I learned it is a self-help/spiritual guidebook. If I had not read a sample of this book, I would not have picked it up. I am not an avid reader of self-help books. I feel that they try to be "one-size-fits-all." I don't believe that self-help/spiritual books are a good fit for me. As I read a few pages of this book, my interest is not piqued. The author starts in explaining how they wrote this book. I lose interest when the author starts talking about Tao. Tao is something unknown to me, and not relevant in my opinion. I do appreciate the author giving the reader their personal story. I always want the author to tell me what brought them to this path. Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review. The reviewer speaks positively of this book. This book does not seem like it will be a good fit for me. I will not be purchasing this book or putting it on my to-be-read shelf.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 8:17 pm by BunnySTx.

MsTri

I knew when I saw the cover and title for this book that I wouldn't be interested in reading it because I don't generally care for self-help books. The Amazon synopsis gave me pause, though, because I DO like spiritual books as long as they're based on God. Then I read the OBC review (the only review I read) and decided against reading it after all. I fear this tome would "ruffle my feathers" (as the reviewer put it) because of the New Age type stuff, so I'll pass. I did enjoy the sample read, nonetheless, and was glad that the book seems to be professionally edited. My favorite part was where the author spoke with his parents about them going to hell and his father pointing out the unreasonableness of what the author had been told elsewhere. Even though I will not continue reading this, I have no suggestions for changes because it is written extremely well.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 8:33 pm by MsTri.

Kareka88

I like the cover, however, the title does not do anything for me. I read a review on OnlineBookClub that was very informative. I think it odd that the author was so into Christianity at the beginning of the book, and yet strayed so far away. So much to almost make up his own religion that combines parts of many. I did not notice any grammatical errors in the sample. I will not complete this book as it does not fit with my spiritual beliefs.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 9:02 pm by Kareka88.

ladycraic

I would not have chosen to sample The Unbound Soul apart from First Ten, due to my general disinterest in vaguely spiritual books. And by that, I mean a book that doesn't focus on a specific religion, but instead tackles spirituality in a more general sense. Usually, books that I find to be structured in this way give me the impression that the cover and title of this book did. The brief phrase above the author's name and the opening to the blurb reinforced my assumption. Seeing as I don't have an interest in exploring spirituality, especially when the word is used in a vague sense, the blurb did not help my hesitations about reading. The first few pages were more interesting than I expected. I wasn't confused by various terminology and concepts. Instead, I was pulled into the story as the author explained the origin of his life-long mission. And what an intriguing mission - to find the core of Jesus' teachings. I don't agree with all the points the author made in the first few pages but I did find the author's perspective fascinating. I don't plan on reading, just because I don't think this book will edify me. This book seemed professionally edited and I didn't notice any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 10:33 pm by ladycraic.

revna01

The sample reading was free from errors and interesting. I liked that the author clarified the terms he will be using throughout the book so the reader doesn't have to guess what is meant. I also like the cover art and title. I think this book may be a little difficult for some people, possibly most, because the language and writing style sounds so ethereal and philosophical. That's my only complaint at this point. This book is about helping the reader to achieve a higher awareness and consciousness by unteaching the mind. The author reveals how to do this by drawing on his own profound experiences. The Online Book Club reviewer gave it full marks and really enjoyed it, which was nice to know. I'm not really in the market for this type of book currently, but if I was I would probably choose to read this one because it sounds more interesting than others I've been introduced to on the idea of spirspiritual awakening.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 10:35 pm by revna01.

sonya01

In the same vein as his book “Inspirience”, the author explores spirituality and self-awareness in this well-written book. His journey from childhood is quite interesting, where he details certain supernatural events and a close shave with suicide before finding purpose and enlightenment in his life. I liked the way he speaks quite openly about his shortcomings along the way - his learning difficulties, low self-esteem and insecurity. I think this aspect will draw many people to his teachings. This book, has no noticeable errors at all in the first ten pages, which is commendable. The title is attractive, promising revelations, although the actual teachings were not yet evident from the first ten. From reading the reviews, I know he ventures into some tricky waters with tales of reincarnation and the after-life, and this is where I do not agree. However his journey sounds interesting and certain techniques may be helpful. Some things made me raise an eyebrow, such as the mention of his “special dance”, but if it works for him, it may work for others too. I would definitely pick this book up for a closer look, but probably not read it through as I am a bit cynical about these sort of claims. What might put readers off a bit is the extreme wordiness of the introduction, with a lot of spiritual jargon, explaining terms and phraseology used in the book. I found this a bit daunting in the opening page.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 1:31 am by sonya01.

ObsessedBookNerd

Had I not read the first ten pages of the book as part of the program then I would not have read the story based on the title, cover, genre, blurb, or reviews because I think that I wouldn't enjoy the story. The book seems professionally edited and I found no spelling or grammatical errors. The first ten pages of the book did not change my opinion on reading the book because I don't like to read spiritual or religious books. I also don't like like to read the genre or self-help books. The book seems like it has a choppy writing flow and I dislike the author's writing style. I didn't like how in the beginning of the story it talks about revelations quite often. It seems odd how the author put into the story that it is written through a connection with " the unnameable, the Tao." I had a lot of trouble following the Introduction chapter; it was boring and didn't make sense to me. The first chapter made me even less able to connect with the story because the main character basically was being forced into his friend mother beliefs/religion. She (Mrs. Pacetti) told kids they would burn in hell if they didn't attend bible study at her house. She was brain washing kids and trying to convince the kids to bring their parents or they would burn in hell for all eternity. I don't think that this book is for me after reading the first ten pages. I am not a religious person and I greatly dislike reading about it. The sample of the book centers the whole story around religion and the author's spiritual journey. I am going to pass on reading the whole book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 2:46 am by ObsessedBookNerd.

Vickie Noel

Book cover, title, blurb...none served as a stimulant to my interest in this material. I rarely read nonfiction, and never read spiritual books. Even after reading the sample, I'm quite disgusted at the portrayal of Jesus Christ in the author's so-called "vision" of Jesus Christ, helpless, "his forearm squished in my hands like a water-balloon," with his body "sagging" and "without a skeleton." Oh please, for God's sake, Jesus Christ is an immortal KING in heaven, and definitely doesn't need any physical help; whoever was in those dreams was certainly not him and the picture made me sick. I saw no grammatical errors and the OBC review didn't make me interested on the book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 3:40 am by Vickie Noel.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book as I do not read this genre. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. As someone who is simply not very spiritual, I found it difficult to relate to this book, but I think the fact that the author started off the story really helped because I could read about something more concrete. I also appreciate how the author concedes that "My life is no more special than anyone else's" but that it could be an example. It was professionally edited. I did not read the official review but that did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 5:12 am by psychopathycathy.

Bianka Walter

I am not a reader of self-help books, and those with a strong religious undertone don't even get a glimpse from me. This book falls solidly into that category, so it is not a book that I would have sampled without the first ten program. The book, besides being very well edited, offered me nothing of interest in my life. It opens by explaining that the author will use spiritual guidance to help the reader better their lives and themselves. The beginning of the book starts with age-old questions about God and the morals surrounding religion. If I am honest, I was a little bored. But that is because this type of book does not interest me at all. I will not be continuing to read this book. As mentioned, it falls into a category that I just don't enjoy.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 3:07 pm by Bianka Walter.

Tiny_Turtle

I would have wanted to sample this book even without the First 10 program. I like this author. I found the sample enjoyable, and it seemed to be professionally edited. The part I liked best was the dream the author had when he was a child of Jesus lying on the floor as a body with no bones telling him that he needed him to "Find my bones, for they are the core of my teaching. Most of what is written about me is untrue. Mankind has so twisted my teachings for selfish gain that little of the essence remains." (location 230).
I have no suggestions for improvements and intend to read the whole book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 4:14 pm by Tiny_Turtle.

SamSim

Prior to sampling the book, I thought the cover was eye-catching, but that's it. This book looks and sounds ridiculous to me. The blurb reads like a late-night spiritual charlatan's infomercial. There are a bunch of quotes with no attributions about how great the book is. If it's so great, why didn't the speaker want to be identified? The claims in the blurb sound like spiritual vagueries, repeated in different wordings to flesh out the text. I didn't find any of it believable, and I'm not looking forward to the sample. In sampling the book, I agree that we are often limiting ourselves through what we believe about ourselves and the world. We choose how we react to situations and circumstances, and our negative beliefs will trap us. Lack of presentness and mindfulness will rob us of our joy and fullness. However, this book is fluffy, new-age tripe. We are all in prisons of our own making, but the only person who can free us from those thought- and belief-prisons is our Creator, God. Nonsensical, ultimately nonspecific, and feel-good works like these will be the undoing of everything that is good in the world. I'm not the audience for this book, and I wouldn't download it if it was free.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 4:25 pm by SamSim.

kfwilson6

The Unbound Soul is not a book for me. I am not interested in spiritual teachings or spiritual enlightenment. The topic alone has me uninterested in this one.
After reading the sample, I am certain I will not be reading this book. Although I appreciated Haight's childhood desire to make and keep a promise to Jesus, I was bored with most of his account of his childhood. I am not interested in memoirs, and this definitely starts off like one. I also thought the story about Haight seeing his future on a stage was far-fetched. I did not notice any errors and assume the book has been professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 4:49 pm by kfwilson6.

JuliaKay

I think this cover is beautiful. I love the layers of it - the eye, the clouds, the meditator, the cityscape. It makes me curious about the book. I do not think the title is that original, but the cover is enough to capture my attention. Usually, spiritual books are not my cup of tea, but because of the blurb, reviews, and stunning cover, I would be curious enough about this book to at least sample it even without this program. I like the opening of the book where it says we are on the brink of a great revelation, what is your role? I think that is a great attention grabber. The author mentions the Tao, or unnameable, which I feel like might have been a mistake because it can turn readers away potentially. I think when reading spiritual books, I look for more general terms. He does mention that those names mean nothing in particular, which I appreciated. In part one of the book, the author writes about his own story. He claims that he has had spiritual dreams and visions and that he has been compelled to write them down since he was a teen. The goal is to help readers understand spiritual unfoldment and how it weaves through their lives. The author describes how he grew up on a horse ranch in Southern California. He had attended a Bible study that another child's mother was teaching, and she told that about Hell and how everybody must be born again Christians or they would go to hell. This terrified the author. He went home and tried to convert his parents. His father asked if a love God would actually send people to Hell and they compared different versions of the Bible. His father told him that in order to know the truth, he must keep an open mind and keep searching. Later that year, he began to have dreams. One dream was that Jesus was laying in the middle of his bedroom floor and asking for help, but he did not know how to help. In another dream, Jesus told the boy to find his bones, that they are the core of his teachings, and this began the boy's lifelong quest. I like the author's style of storytelling, though I do not necessarily agree with all of his beliefs. The writing was compelling and seemed sincere. I did not notice any technical errors in this book, and it seems to have been professionally edited. If anything was lacking for me, it was the title. I feel like a more unique title would help readers to believe that this book has something new to offer. I do not plan on reading the rest of this book because I am not interested in taking a spiritual journey right now.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 5:08 pm by JuliaKay.

mtsnel006

The cover of the book looks interesting, and so I would have chosen to read the book because of it. I have read a lot of spiritual books before and had recently decided to take a break from them, therefore, I am going to take a pass on this, and not read it. The book is about the life of the author, Richard L. Haight, and his teachings on spirituality. Haight had a supernatural encounter with Jesus, and during this, he was told to find the bones of Jesus because they were the core of His teachings. The author went from the USA to Amazon and to Japan, furthering his spiritual insights and teaching people things like meditation. The book was professionally edited. Thanks.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 6:28 pm by mtsnel006.

micoleon13

This is a great cover page which got my attention immediately, however, I'm not a fan of self-help books which this looks like. I would not choose this is book to read. The OnlineBookClub review was very complementary and outlined a book that was both autobiography and self-help. I don't read religious based books so the review did not change my original opinion. The pages which I read were well written and edited. I liked the telling of the author’s discovery of religion as a child and the way his father had him compare the different translations of the Bible to see the different interpretations. However, it is still not a book that I would continue reading. I have no ideas for improvement.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 7:17 pm by micoleon13.

briellejee

Based on the title and the cover, I think I wouldn't have sampled the book, though they are both eye-catching and good. The reason is that I am not just into this topic and genre. As for the first few pages, I liked how the author started with his childhood. As a Christian, I am fully-aware of people like Mrs. Pacetti, bible studies, and the Bible itself, so this part was relatable. By telling his personal story, it makes the book not tedious to read. It opens up curiosity too, unlike books from this genre that it feels like the author tells you what to do step-by-step. The part where the author went to his parents to discuss is something I find touching, and I was actually glad that it went well. Overall, the book is engaging and fun to read. However, I am just not into the topic, though the author made it interesting enough by making the readers anticipate about his life at an early age and his search for spiritual unfoldment and peace of mind. Thus, I would not be buying the book. I found no noticeable errors and the official OBC review helped me in deciding whether to sample this book or not.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 8:18 pm by briellejee.

KRay93

The design of the cover looks very professional and highly appropriate for the spiritual theme proposed by the blurb. The official review highlights the mix of classic religious content and New Age concepts, pointing out that there is something for everyone in it. The first ten pages revolve around the author's story, including his childhood on a ranch in South Carolina, his introduction to the Bible, and the unexpected consequences of his attempted suicide. The prose is fluid, personal, and very appropriate for the genre, while the editing work looks practically impeccable. Unfortunately, I am not a reader of self-help books on spirituality and self-discovery, which is why I will not find the content of this book useful. I will not continue reading it.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 9:15 pm by KRay93.

Allyseria

The book cover and title do not attract me because I don't like spiritual books. The blurb tells that the book is a memoir so I would pass by this book. The review also tells that the book talks about meditation techniques. Again, as I am not interested in mediation, I am not interested in this book. When I read the sample, however, I liked that the author seemed to be talking to us, and with the simple words and easy flow of the story, it made for an easy read. It became an engaging sample to read. However, I will have to pass by this book due to the subject. Note: The book had been professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 10:47 pm by Allyseria.

Sahani Nimandra

The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight is self discovery read about ones journey to the spiritual world. The author's explains through his own world of experience about his journey to enlightenment. The tone of language used is very attentive and careful enough to explain step-by-step of his journey. I really liked the introductory quote: The tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal Name. The unnamable is the eternally real. Naming is the origin of all particular things. Free from desire, you realize the mystery. Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations. Yet mystery and manifestations arise from the same source. This source is called darkness. Darkness within darkness. The gateway to all understanding. — Tao Te Ching. One needs to be open minded in this read. This read is so insightful, but it's not a read for everyone. There weren't any hindrances while reading, and the official review gave a true value for this read.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 11:30 pm by Sahani Nimandra.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book without this program. I rarely read non-fiction books, and the OBC review and Amazon blurb did not change my mind. I usually don't read books related to spirituality or religion. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I am pretty comfortable in my own beliefs and spirituality, and I don't feel the need for a book to bring me to any type of revelation. I did seem to have similar viewpoints to the author, which I liked. I really liked the story he told of his father teaching him about a loving God and the way his father asked if he thought God would really send people to Hell for not believing a certain thing. This is a conversation I have had with many people. However, even though I seemed to agree with the author, it still just isn't a book that I would enjoy reading. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 12:39 am by anneloretrujillo.

Cher432

If I had not read the sample, I probably would not have read the book. This is because I am not interested in books that talk about spirituality. The sample begun by talking about revelations that people have that could change their lives. I found the sample to be congested and I suggest that more space be put between paragraphs. I was also not sure if such a word as "unfoldment" exists. There was an official OnlineBookClub review but it did not entice me to read the book therefore I would not buy and read it.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 3:25 am by Cher432.

OloladeO

Based on the cover, title, and review, I would not have read the sample because it clashes with my beliefs. From the sample, the author states that the book is a compilation of all the spiritual visions and insights that he has had in life. He grew up on a horse ranch in rural southern California. Life was simple until Mrs. Pacetti preached to him about Jesus and told him to talk to his parents as well, else they would go to hell. Determined, he asked his parents if he could speak to them about religion and his father agreed only if he was willing to discuss it as an adult. His father pointed out different versions given by Mathew, Mark, Luke and John. Which story is correct? At the end of the conversation, His father advised him to be very honest, keep an open mind and keep searching. The book seems professionally edited. The OBC reviewer gave it a perfect rating, but that doesn't change my mind about not reading the whole book as I stated earlier.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 3:41 am by OloladeO.

va2016

The title and the cover are very indicative of the theme of the book. The Amazon summary that I read is descriptive, but not very motivating me to sample the book. There is only one Amazon review on the book. Based on these factors, I would have skipped sampling the book if not for the First Ten program. As I sampled through the book, I found the book quite interesting, narrating the personal experiences of the author. Especially, the author's dream of finding a man lying down in the center of his bedroom is a very important one, which is how the author starts his spiritual quest. This made me curious as to what would be the author's future experiences, and what he would go through in the future. So, I am going to read this book in full to find out. The book has been professionally edited, and there are no grammatical or mechanical errors. What I liked about the book is the very practical and straightforward way the author has described his personal experiences. I could not find anything that could be improved in the book. Although I found one OBC review that gave 4 out of 4 stars rating for the book, my decision to read the book in full is based on my own sampling.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 3:48 am by va2016.

ButterscotchCherrie

I wouldn't have sampled this book without this program because I already have a book by the same author, which I plan to read soon. I won't buy and read this one on the basis of the first ten pages because I believe I can get the most important information from the other book. The book appears to have been professionally edited because I did not notice any errors. I liked the author's father's wisdom best when he shared the thought that a loving god would not condemn people to hell for being of a different religion. I don't think anything in particular needs to be improved; I was not drawn to the book without the program but those who were - those who feel on the brink of a revelation, as the author says - would probably find the information and the way it is laid out useful. I saw an OnlineBookClub review that told me that the book includes exercises; I know that I can also get these from the other book I have so that helped me in my decision.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 4:50 am by ButterscotchCherrie.

BelleReadsNietzsche

I like spiritual memoirs, but this one looks too New Age for me. Even the four-star OBC review seem to acknowledge that those who did not enjoy New Age spirituality would not enjoy this book. Additionally, the fact that the latest addition as a significant word count does not appeal to me. All of the books with a high word count that I have come across through online book review so far have been in desperate need of trimming down. Even my favorite classic self-help, spirituality, and/or memoir books have been diminished by new editions that contain “new content” that does not add anything significant.

The book’s sample did not change my mind. The fact that the forward is by an author of something called “Reality Unveiled“ made me roll my eyes. I also have no ability to tolerate a phrase like “Isness Inspirience,” not just because it seems silly, but also because of the sheer unnecessary mutilation it does to the English language. I can be on-board with creative (mis)use of language if it adds clarity and itself makes a compelling point; I didn’t feel that here. I did like the part of the process where the author ask questions about the creative process and inspiration, and I like spiritual books and now that I appreciated the quote from the Dow diverging. After reading the sample, I suspect the book might be a mix of things I like and things I really, really do not like. I will probably skip this one because there are so many other books out there, or skim it at best. That being said, the editing appears impeccable.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 11:01 am by BelleReadsNietzsche.

Kajori50

'Unbound Soul' is a book written by Richard L. Haight. The title, blurb, the OBC review, and the customer reviews in Amazon did a good job of convincing me to give the book a try.

The first ten pages of the book leads me to believe that it is a spiritual book. The book explores spiritual awakening. I like the way the author included his own life story in the first part of the book. I did not find any error. I consider it to be professionally edited. I will give this book a try as I like the writing style of the author. Also, I would like to know more about the subject.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 3:06 pm by Kajori50.

Sweet Psamy

If I had not sampled the first ten pages of this book, I would have chosen to read it because of its title and cover page.This is because they are both captivating. I would buy and read the whole book because I also see spiritual visions and would love to hear the author's personal teachings about spiritual visions.Reading the first ten pages did not change my mind about buying and reading the whole book.

The book appeared not to have been professionally edited.I found one error: "They were surprised but said religion was an adult subject, and that we would have to discuss it as adults."

What I like most in the bit I read, was the author's personal life story. I also loved the way the author introduced spiritual concepts at the beginning of the book. I think the use of simpler words could enhance the story and its revelational teachings.

The book didn't have an official OnlineBookClub review that I saw.This also did not affect my decision because of its captivating title and cover page.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 5:09 pm by Sweet Psamy.

KristyKhem

The cover design, title, and blurb greatly appealed to me because I enjoy reading books about spiritual enlightenment. The reviews on Amazon also praised the book highly so I knew it was an exceptional book. Therefore, I would have bought and read this book. The sample was intriguing and left me wanting to read more. I liked that the author included his own personal spiritual experiences. I felt touched when he described dreaming of Jesus who was lying on the floor asking him for help. Jesus’ words, ‘Find my bones, for they are the core of my teaching’ spoke volumes to my own inner self, because like the author, I have had religious dreams in the past. I also liked reading about the author’s challenges, because it made him seem more of a realistic person. I truly felt like I was getting a deep insight into his life. One challenging time in his life was when John, the ranch hand, was arrested for being a convicted felon. The author described this as his personal apocalypse because he felt like an accomplice since he had known about it, and this led him into depression. I did not come across any noteworthy errors in the sample. My reading experience was enjoyable. I would definitely buy and read this book.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 5:51 pm by KristyKhem.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read pure romance books. However, the image of a person meditating and the background image of an eye caught my attention. Having read the sample, I liked how the author included a thoughtful quote before the introduction. Further, I liked the way that the author introduced himself. It allowed me to connect with him and what he had to say. However, I found the introductory pages rather long and could not wait for the actual content to begin. While the book seems professionally edited overall, I would have liked better formatting (the quote was in a very large font size as compared to the rest of the text and I would have liked more spacing between paragraphs). Since I do not read the genre usually, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 8:57 pm by AA1495.

Jsovermyer

The cover art and title, The Unbound Soul, are interesting and appealing. This book would be helpful to people looking for enlightenment and spirituality. The official review rated this book highly, but I did not like it that well. The language was very flowery with a lot of complex sentences. I prefer writing that is simple and straightforward. I also found several grammatical errors. In location 288 there is the following sentence, "In such a case we carry on entrapped in mind, not realizing that we have another option." This should be written as "in the mind" or "in our mind". Because of the writing style and because the book's topic is not interesting to me, I will not be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 9:06 pm by Jsovermyer.

britt13

The official review did a great job of talking the book up and laying out what it had to offer but I was not excited or really interested. This is just not my type of book. While I am religious, I find texts like this often annoy me. Nevertheless, I set out to read the first ten pages. I will start with I really do enjoy the cover. So many non-fiction books start with a list of questions it seems and it is getting a bit old. I also did not like the huge lettering for the quotes after the Preface. It also seemed very cluttered with a forward, preface, and introduction. I hate to sound harsh, but for me, this was just like many other spiritual texts I have read. I think I would actually be more interested in "Insperience: Meditation Unbound", Haight's other book. I did find no errors in the text but I will not be reading on for the aforementioned reasons.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 9:10 pm by britt13.

Firefawkes

Strictly based on the cover and blurb, this is not a book I would normally have picked up because it does not appeal to my sense of adventure. Unfortunately, the first 10 pages did not change my mind on the matter, and I will not be continuing to read this book for the reason mentioned above. While there were no glaring errors in the first 10 pages, one that I did note was on page 3, line 17: "true cause of our suffering [remove comma] and the deceptively simple but". Aside from that one error, the book appears to be professionally edited.
I liked the amount of passion the author obviously has for the subjects he writes on, which would definitely make this book appealing to like-minded individuals. Aside from the subject matter itself, there is nothing I disliked about the writing style or content.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2019, at 10:29 pm by Firefawkes.

Dolor

Without The First Ten program, I wouldn't have chosen to read this book because I feel like there are matters discussed in this book that I might not agree on. The cover looked celestial and refreshing at the same time. Here are the matters written in the first pages that I don't agree on:
1. Jesus was the heroic Son of God, who used the power of love to save people and perform great miracles.
2. Some of the parents were already Christians of various denominations, but according to Mrs. Pacetti that did not matter, as only Born Again Christians were truly saved.
Here are the errors I found in the first ten pages:
*wrong grammar*
We played cowboys and Indians, hide-and-seek, and war; we built forts, constructing teepees from dill weed and dried grass.

I had no idea what the Bible was, but after he said that we’d burn in Hell for not attending, we all signed up on the spot.

We were to convert our parents, for if they weren’t Born Again then surely they would burn in Hell for eternity.

Richard (as an eight-year-old boy) was confused which resurrection story in the Bible was correct - the resurrection story of Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. I don't like to read on. I will bypass reading this book. Richard L. Haight's "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" is a #NonFiction book that chronicles the author's journey and discussess matters about #Beliefs, #Reincarnation, #Spirituality, #Meditation, and #Enlightenment.

#Memoir #enlightening #awakening #spiritual #selfhelp #guide

First Ten review added on March 2, 2019, at 4:21 am by Dolor.

Fuzaila

The cover looks great. The writing is professionally edited. I liked the promising Foreword by Ziad Masri and the quote he included of Carl Jung. But even while reading the foreword, I could tell that I would still end up questioning the authenticity of the events in the book. The preface seemed like a call for attention, for the author to promote his other books, which I didn't like. I also didn't like how the author kept insinuating about the 'fundamental truth' without actually giving any hint as to what it really is. But I love it that he decided to use photographic proof for his claims. Either way, I'm not in the mood for spiritual awakening, and I'm not essentially a fan of the genre. This book didn't give me any reason not to feel that way, so I won't be buying it.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2019, at 1:01 am by Fuzaila.

Gravy

I would not have looked at this book. Self help just doesn't appeal to me.
The sample was interesting and mostly well written (no errors that I saw, but some of the opening got a little muddy and confused), but it did not change my mind about it.
I like the bit that I read, and I appreciate the author's journey, specifically how it began, but knowing that this turns into a self help work book prevents me from wanting to read it.
There was a review for this book, but my opinion is not affected by that fact.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2019, at 1:46 am by Gravy.

Total ~ 16%

The Unbound Soul earned a score of 16%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 16% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for The Unbound Soul