Cover for Adrift

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Adrift

Because Adrift was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

gali

I would have sampled the book on my own, as I have read and liked the first book. The title and the cover are very catchy. The blurb gives a good sense of the book, although I could do without the editors' reviews in it. This survival tale takes us into the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest. A ship goes adrift and the vultures gather. The sample opened with an action, a fire at high seas, immediately pulling me in. I was happy to meet familiar characters (William) and meet some new ones. The atmosphere abroad the burning ship and all that followed was well drawn. The author set the scene very well. The pace seemed a bit slow, due to the detailed descriptions. There wasn't an official review, more the pity. It would have helped me to form my decision. The book could use another round of editing. There were some awkwardly worded sentences, not to mention the excess of commas in the wrong places. Ex: "The chief's gone forward, in his fire suit, tanks, taking a look." Still, as I enjoyed the sample, I will give the rest of the book a chance.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 8:18 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

lesler

Looking at the cover, I am intrigued. Reading the sample, I enjoyed it very much, but not enough to keep reading. This book appears to be professionally edited, with no grammatical errors or typos. I loved the technical speak of the storm that hits the ship, along with the panic of the fire in the main hull. Reading from Steve's perspective is powerful, and I hope everything is ok. I did not like the general subject of the book-the author does such a good job with description, that I felt that I was on the ship, and I hate being in big ships on the water. This was too realistic for me, and I will not be reading it.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 9:26 am by lesler.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

CinWin

I liked the cover of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon. It shows the power of the sea. This riveting novel opens with the 700-foot container ship, The Seattle Express, on fire. Along with Anne and Carlton, William, the ship's captain, struggle to put the fire out. But it has gotten out of control and they must escape on 2 lifeboats. The first 10 pages of the book were very fast-paced. The author explains in detail what is occuring and has his readers hanging on to his every word. The only reason why I won't be finishing it is because I have too many other books awaiting. There were no typos, which made for a quick and easy read. There was not an onlinebookclub review but there was an Amazon review.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 9:41 am by CinWin.

HRichards

I would not have picked this book up on my own, as I'm not a big fan of sea novels. After reading the sample I will not continue with the book, as the genre still doesn't appeal to me that much. The sample deals with the crew of a ship abandoning it during a storm since the ship seems to be on fire. The action is very fast paced, and someone who likes sea novels would probably like this one a lot. The writing seemed quite action packed, I simply don't like this genre that much, and even good writing didn't make me want to continue. I noticed a grammar error in "my cabin howled, ringing, chattering" where a list with commas shouldn't have been used. I have not read any other reviews of this book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 9:53 am by HRichards.

Mercy Bolo

Judging by the cover, I wasn't going to read this book, and the absence of an official OBC review didn't in any way sway my decision. When I read the first ten pages, I liked that the captain kept calm in the midst of a crisis and that he recognized the potential in Randall, although Randall himself was yet to realize it. As I noticed no errors, I'll conclude that the text underwent professional editing, But I won't read the rest of the book because the story didn't appeal to me. As it is, there's nothing I would change about the bit I read.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 10:48 am by Mercy Bolo.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I may have read it. It sounded action packed and something that I may usually read. After reading the first ten pages I didn’t change my mind and therefore will be reading the rest of this book as I already have my copy. I loved how the book jumped straight into the action with the fire on the ship. But, as a bit of a personal pride from a Canadian boy from British Columbia, I loved seeing that the author was describing even a call to the Canadian coast guard as the ship was (albeit too far) off of the Queen Charlotte Islands. The book seems action-packed and right up my alley and therefore I will be reading it eventually. I didn’t see anything specific that I would have wanted to change within the sample that I read, but it did seem well written and edited. The official review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 11:41 am by Scerakor.

Camille Turner

I would not have sampled this book without the program because I would've assumed from the title and cover that it was a nonfiction book about a shipwreck, which wouldn't super interest me. However, the Amazon blurb shows it is a fictional story, which would have interested me much more. Unfortunately, I don't think I would've read the Amazon blurb on my own after merely seeing the title and cover. After reading the first ten pages, I believe the book to be professionally edited as I didn't note any errors. My impression that I might like the book because it's fiction turned out to change a little bit. I ended up not being too interested in the story, unfortunately. I do like that the author starts with action right off the bat by detailing the start of the fire onboard the container ship. What I liked the most though was the little glimpse into the captain's life that we get as he remembers his dream and the events it was based on (his son getting crippled in an accident when he was young). I wouldn't improve anything, but I think the book is more for those who like this type of fiction. I do like stories about those at sea (especially pirate stories), but only if there's much more to the story than shipwreck. I don't doubt this book goes into other things as well, but the beginning didn't really pull me in apart from the mention of the son and the captain's personal life. As such, I won't be finishing the book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 12:09 pm by Camille Turner.

desantismt_17

This book’s title made me wonder. The description didn’t quite hook me. While the story sounded interesting, I wasn’t sure if it was for me. Before sampling, I thought about reading. After sampling, I’ll pass. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed no errors. While the opening pages jumped right into the action, they didn’t pull me into the story as much as I hoped. I can feel the sense of emergency with the alarm blaring and the smell of smoke. The situation is certainly terrible, but I don’t feel connected to the characters enough for it to hit me emotionally. I have a general sense of “oh no” for anyone stuck on a burning boat, but without getting to know these people in a tension-filled but not outright threatening environment first, the connection just isn’t there for me. Since this is a very subjective viewpoint, I’m not sure changing the opening would improve the book. It’s simply my reading preference. I didn’t see an OnlineBookClub.org review and wish I had. I would have liked to hear more about how the early chapters unfold. At this point, I’ll pass.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 12:27 pm by desantismt_17.

cpru68

Steve wakes up from a nightmare to find the ship he is on has caught fire and has probably been burning for a while in the middle of the Gulf of Alaska while the winds are whipping between 70-80 miles an hour. Trying to assess the progress and damage of the fire, it is determined that all the crew need to get off the vessel into lifeboats to have some chance of survival. While all of this is going on, Steve has a flashback to the dream he had awakened from where he sees his young son Jimmie at age 11 sitting in a wheelchair after having a suffered from an accident.

I liked the intensity of the opening of this. It would seem that the author has a lot of knowledge of sailing as he described all of the action and what was necessary to try and stop the fire, such as using Halon, and how to evacuate in an emergency. And, the reflection on the main character's personal life just added to the dire feeling of the scene. I did find one error in 4 percent of the sample (location 195) with this sentence: We were swept within five feet of the rusty, rolling side of the ship, but then the little engine grabbed water and I was able to veer away. There is a missing comma after 'water' and the word 'and'. Other than that, I did not see any other mistakes, so I am assuming this was professionally edited.

I generally focus my reading on non-fiction books, so I probably would not have found this book on my own accord. And, while this started with a harrowing opening, I am not interested in reading any further. I am not a big fan of stories about people being lost at sea, so this one does not appeal to me.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 12:56 pm by cpru68.

Julie Green

I would choose to read this book based on the title and cover; I like the dramatic image in particular. In addition, I have read "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon and loved it. Having read the opening pages, I will read the rest of the book.
The book has gripped me from the start as it opens in the middle of the action. The tension builds as the seriousness of the fire becomes apparent. I think that the calmness of the crew only adds to the drama, especially when one crew member calmly says "It's bad, captain." I also like the description of conditions on the lifeboat with people vomiting, and the smell being already apparent, as it feels true to life. I did not spot any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 1:36 pm by Julie Green.

sonya01

Just based on first impressions, I would probably not have even picked this book up for a closer look. Somehow, sea dramas don't do much for me and the cover is not all that attractive or indicative of what lies within. Upon reading the first ten pages (and beyond) I was impressed at the amazing pace right from the outset. The opening chapter begins with a fire raging on board a vessel off the coast of Alaska, and it just gets more thrilling with every page turned. The sample ends with the crew adrift the freezing waters in a lifeboat and the reader really feels like they are right there, present with them. The editing is excellent and I found no errors in the first ten. There is a suggestion of an underlying drama regarding the Captain's son which sparked my interest. It was not my intention to read on beyond the first ten pages, but I did - so engaging was the story. I cannot say there is anything about this story that I didn't like, nor do I have any suggestions for improvements. If anything, the image of the boat burning on the front cover should be made more prominent. I will probably not go on to read the whole book, simply because of the fact that the story is mostly at sea and I'm not a fan. This in no way changes my opinion that it looks like a wonderfully exciting story.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 2:30 pm by sonya01.

Laura Bach

"Adrift" sounds like the perfect book for lovers of sea adventures. The book starts with a shipwreck and missing crew. This will keep everyone turning pages. I always appreciate books that begin with a map because it makes me think that the author really wants me to visualise the environment and its surroundings. I wouldn't have tried this book because I am not a fan of books about sea adventures. I won't continue reading it for the same reason. It is professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 2:38 pm by Laura Bach.

kfwilson6

A story about the attempts to salvage the remains of a ship fire and the subsequent search for one of the salvagers is not of interest to me. This is just not the type of story line I typically go for, and the lack of Amazon and OBC reviews did not help.
At first, I thought the sample was going to be incredibly interesting. A fire on a ship sounded like a very intense, powerful situation. However, I felt like most of the focus was on describing who was where and what was where on the ship. For what should have been a very exciting first scene, it came across as quite boring and dry. I don't anticipate the rest of the book will be an improvement, so I am going to pass on reading Adrift. The book also could use a professional editor. I noticed a few missing commas such as in: "The ship rolled and a huge sea passed just below us."

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 5:16 pm by kfwilson6.

Sarah_Khan

I would not have picked this up if it was not part of the first ten program because I am not a fan of adventure/action books. The first ten pages seem to be professionally edited. I liked that the definition of the title was in the beginning, I also liked the quote. Unfortunately, I found myself bored. The boat lingo was not interesting. Even though the beginning is supposed to be full of adrenaline because there is smoke on the boat, I could not bring myself to want to finish this book. One plus side is that the author was able to describe the situation in a clear way that made it easy to visualize. I did not read any OBC review.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 6:18 pm by Sarah_Khan.

britt13

There was no official review of this book but people on social media seemed to be loving it. I loved the cover and was excited to jump in. I was not super enthused by the praise for the book being at the front, but that was not a huge thing. I LOVED having the definition and maps at the front. It really set it up nicely. I also really enjoyed alliteration such as "holding the handrails, staggering up the stairs, the ship shuddering into a rising sea". It was simultaneously giving great imagery while feeling fun to read because of the implementation. Sheldon continued to paint a picture with words as I went on, and I love that. The only issue I had with the writing was that it felt like there were just a bit too many commas. It became slightly distracting. I found no actual errors though. I do not think I will be reading this one right now because I prefer to read books in order (this is a sequel) but if I got my hands on the first one, and it was like what I read here, I would read this one.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 6:55 pm by britt13.

Tiny_Turtle

I would not have wanted to sample this book without the First 10 program. I am not drawn to reading about being lost at sea. Reading the first ten pages did not change my mind. There really wasn't any part that I particularly liked. The only part of the sample that wasn't about the ship being on fire was when the protagonist was reminiscing about his son having been in an accident and was now in a wheelchair. The book may have been professionally edited. I have no suggestions for improvements. Not seeing an Official OnlineBookClub review did not influence my decision. I will not be reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 8:00 pm by Tiny_Turtle.

BunnySTx

After reading a few pages of, Adrift by Charlie Sheldon, I have decided that I will not be finishing this book. When I first saw the cover of this book my interest was not piqued. The book looked like a war novel based on the ship and rough oceans. As I read the blurb, I learned that this was not a war story. This story is about a man lost a sea and waiting for help. If I had not read a sample of this book, I would not have picked it up. The blurb of this book does not pique my interest. I'm not an avid reader of nautical based stories. A ship in distress does not pique my interest. As I read a few pages, my interest not piqued. The author begins the story out at sea with the boat being on fire. I think that I am following through William's eyes, but there is another character. I'm curious as to whom this other character is to William. Why wasn't he mentioned in the blurb? The book, to me, feels muted. I don't feel the story is dramatic. For me, it feels dull. I'm confused by what is going on in the story. I was expecting it to be just William on the boat. Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does not have an official OnlineBookClub review. This fact does not impact my decision. I don't find the story engaging. I want to know started the fire, that there is still a full crew from the beginning. I don't feel that this is a good book for me. I think if there were more drama and danger I'd be interested. As is, I will not be reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 8:20 pm by BunnySTx.

LV2R

The book cover with a burning ship and the title both tell a lot about the book and made me interested. The Amazon Blurb mentioned that the Seattle Express is a 700-foot container ship that goes adrift in the Gulf of Alaska and is burning. William (from “Strong Heart”) goes missing and Myra, Tom, Sarah, and Sergei look for him. People also salvage the burning vessel. This made the book sound like it has some danger and adventure elements in it. I read the first ten pages in which it described some of the crew on the ship. It is written from Captain Steve’s viewpoint. He woke up from a nightmare and the ship was on fire. They cannot contain the fire and have to abandon the ship. I best liked how the author described being on a burning ship with the wind and the waves; it seemed real and dangerous. The book seemed to be edited well, as I did not see any errors. There was no OBC review, but I think that the blurb and the sample were enough to decide that I do want to read the book. I have read “Strong Heart” and would like to see what happens in this sequel with many of the same characters.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 8:21 pm by LV2R.

Kareka88

I like the cover and the title. I may not have picked it up to read had it not been for first ten. My husband has a book with the same title which we've had for years that I've never read. However, what I read I liked very much. It would be terrifying to be the captain of a ship and to see a fire in the corridor and then having to get into a lifeboat in the middle of the Bering Sea. That would be very cold! There was no review on OnlineBookClub or on Amazon to get more information. However, after reading the sample, I am interested in reading farther. I did not notice any errors in grammar.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 8:25 pm by Kareka88.

FictionLover

I would not have read this book without the first ten program. The cover and the title told me it was something nautical, but it just did not click with me that it would be a riveting tale of a ship on fire with the crew having to abandon ship. The first ten really pulled me in, and though I have very little time right now, I am going to have to find some time to read this. I didn't notice any grammatical or formatting errors. I thought the author let us know about the Captain in a very skilled way. In the middle of an emergency, he still has time to think about his son who has a catastrophic injury. This makes him seem very human while he is acting almost emotionless. It worked for me, and I can't see anything that needs to be improved. I will be reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 8:43 pm by FictionLover.

revna01

The Online Book Club review informed me that this book is a sequel to a previous nautical themed book. I think the title and cover art are a nice fit for the theme and found no errors during the first ten pages. I learned of Captain Steve and his crewmates Anne and Carlton as they investigate a fire onboard their vessel, while a crazy storm ravages outside. I liked that there was suspense right away and that the author's writing was easy to read and nicely phrased. I have no suggestions for improvements. I won't read this book at the present time because I like to read all series in their proper order.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 9:11 pm by revna01.

sarahmarlowe

I am so excited to be able to read another Charlie Shelton novel! I really enjoyed reading Strong Heart. This novel has a beautifully done cover, and it did attract my attention. I would have picked it up before reading the sample. And, I will be reading the whole book. The novel begins with intrigue and open-ended questions about the main character. I want to know what happens to the crew and what happened to his son. I didn't find any typos, and I don't know how it could be improved. I love the images the author creates with his words. I look forward to the rest of the book!

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 9:49 pm by sarahmarlowe.

lavellan

I probably would have not read the sample of Adrift if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. There wasn't a Book of the Day review for it so I wasn't sure of what to expect from it. The book seemed like it was professionally edited and I did not notice any errors while reading. The scene where the crew located the fire on the boat was nerve-wracking. I did not like how the author provided no context for the setting and crew. I had no idea where the ship was and who the crew were. As a result, I will not be reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 10:03 pm by lavellan.

Allyseria

The book cover and title do not attract me. I struggled to understand what genre it was. When I read the blurb, I was uninterested in the subject of the book - a tale of surviving on a crippled ship. As I couldn't find a review on OnlineBookClub, I would have passed by the book as I could not make a more informative decision. I was confused by the sample as there were many blank pages at the start. It made me question the quality of editing in the book. I also disliked immediately the long sentences with many commas. It interrupted the flow of the book and just made the words run together. This contrasted severely with the sometimes short sentences comprised of three words. It jolted me constantly out of the story. Overall, I will not continue to read this book. Note: The book had been professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 10:52 pm by Allyseria.

Sahani Nimandra

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is an interesting read about an adventure that takes place on sea. The author provides a map illustration about the locations where the ship anchors. The reading style was simple and fast-paced, ideal for it's readers to enjoy this read. There weren't any hindrances while reading, though I wish an official review was available since the reviewer would do a better job by providing better details about this read rather than me, the reader, determine this read by reading the first ten pages. The cover illustration is ideal for the image provided by this read. It's an interesting read, but it's not a read that I will give my first preference though.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 11:46 pm by Sahani Nimandra.

ladycraic

Though the illustrations displayed on Adrift's cover are visibly appealing, I would not have chosen to sample the first few pages of this book apart from First Ten. The cover did not necessarily spark my interest. I got the impression, based on the cover and title, that Adrift would most likely take place at sea. That's not a setting I'm all to eager to place myself in. Adding to the fact that I'm not quite familiar with how everything works out there, I didn't have an interest in this book. I found that the blurb was straightforward and easy to understand. However, for some reason, the idea of a thrilling adventure at sea did not appeal to my interest. Overall, the first ten pages cemented the initial assumptions I had that I would not be interested in this book. Adrift moved slowly for me even though the chaotic events would usually leave me with a contrasting experience. Despite the crazy situation readers are immediately presented with due to the fire that arises on Steve's ship, I didn't have any kind of eagerness to read more. In fact, I feel like the unique terminology pertaining to sea life will require more effort to understand than I wish to give. Hence, I will not be reading the rest of this book. Adrift seemed professionally edited and I didn't notice any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 12:09 am by ladycraic.

cristinaro

If it hadn't been for the first ten program, I wouldn't have sampled the novel simply because I would have probably never heard of it. However, I love the sea and the title and cover of this novel are well chosen to describe some wonderful sea adventures. Since this book is connected to Charlie Sheldon's Strong Heart I would read that novel first if I decide to do this. After reading a few pages I realized the author was a good storyteller and the sea scenes reminded me of Joseph Conrad. I also liked the passage from Steve's first-person narration to the third-person perspective focusing on Louise. I couldn't find any editing errors either. I was sorry I didn't have an official OBC review to read more about how the story progresses up to the end. I don't have the time to read the novel now, but I will consider giving both novels a chance in the future.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 2:12 am by cristinaro.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would have read this book. I think it is my genre and it looks very interesting from the blurb. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I really liked how the book seemed to jump into something intense right off the bat, and yet we were able to get inside the main character's thoughts when they asked narrative questions such as "Was the smoke thicker?" I liked the writing style as well. which used great figurative language. It was professionally edited. I did not read the official review but that did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 3:02 am by psychopathycathy.

ObsessedBookNerd

Had I not read the sample as part of the program then I would not have read the book based on the title, genre, blurb or reviews. I don't like to read at sea stories unless it is of the fantasy genre and this book is not. The first ten pages of the book didn't change my mind because I don't like to read books like this one. I find books about ships, shipwrecks, crewmembers, lost at sea, etc. really boring and uninteresting stories. I like that the cover and title accurately depicts the plot for the book. I thought it was clever how the author put in the definition of the title and maps of the sea before the reader starts the story. I think that this helps with the visual and what the story will be about. The setup of the story is good and easy to understand because the author put the date on some chapters and who was speaking at the beginning of each of the chapters. The author also did a good job of connecting the first two chapters even though different people are speaking. The first paragraph of the first chapter was choppy because it has a lot of commas. My eyes glazed over through the first chapter and it made it hard with continuing the book. I hated reading about the alarm on the ship and how there is a fire. There was a lot of boat language like knots, the engine room, lifeboats, EPIRB battery, etc. and I just don't want to read about it. There was so much happening in the first chapter that it made it difficult to follow the story. The second chapter wasn't any better. The reader meets Louise who is a greedy and business-oriented woman. She is unfulfilled because her husband is cheating on her and she is upset that he is wasting away money that they don't have. She wakes in the middle of the night and she says, ” she smelled money.” She turns on the receiver when her husband wakes up and they hear about the distress signal. From the signal they are able to put together what is going on and that a ship will be needed. I couldn't connect with the characters and they didn't seem realistic to me. I didn't like how the author used the first few pages of the book to have what other readers had said about the book. This book is not for me but others might enjoy this adventure life story of being adrift at sea after a shipwreck. The book seems professionally edited and I found no spelling or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 3:15 am by ObsessedBookNerd.

CataclysmicKnight

I like the cover of this one, and I was intrigued by what this book would be about, so I could definitely see myself looking into it more even if it wasn't the book of the day.

So far all I've read about was the ship being on fire, and that it was a very old ship with bad sensors so the ship had been on fire for hours before they even realized it and were forced to abandon ship. It sounded very dangerous, but we're shown the actions of the captain, not the people actually trying to deal with the fire, so it wasn't as interesting as it could have been.

So far the book isn't bad by any means, but I'm also not hooked enough to finish it. Since this is a sequel I'd want to read the first book in the series prior to this one, even though it doesn't sound necessary at all. I did enjoy the editing though, it seemed perfect!

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 1:24 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

bookowlie

I probably would have sampled this book without First Ten as there are several glowing OBC reviews of the author's previous book, Strong Heart (I didnt see any OBC reviews of this current book). Also, I like books with a strong setting and this one fits the bill. The Amazon blurb is well-written although there is a formatting error - there should be a line break before the Praise for Adrift line. I liked the premise that William's daughter and her friends make a plan after William's lifeboat is missing. Also, the cover with the map and burning ship is very eye-catching and made me want to learn more about the story. The sample is well written with no errors. I quickly became absorbed in the action on the ship, with the fire alarm going off and Carlton, the engineer, reporting to William there was smoke in the port tunnel. The author also does a good job of describing the rough seas on a windy night in the Gulf of Alaska. The imagery was very clear and the beginning of the story was very suspenseful. Based on the summary and sample pages, I am interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 2:07 pm by bookowlie.

MsTri

I knew as soon as I saw the cover, title, and author's name that this would probably not be a book I'd like to read. Since there was no OBC review, I didn't read any reviews, but the Amazon synopsis confirmed my initial thoughts. I'm not any more interested in this tome than I was in 'Strong Heart'. I don't like adventure stories, and I don't care to go to "a beautiful, brutal frontier of ice, wind, slicing cold, roiling waves, and ancient, mystic faith." With that being the case, the sample was difficult for me to get through because I was bored, but I did appreciate that the tome appears to be professionally edited. If I had to pick one part that I DID like, it would be the section where Louise was thinking about how Travis had looked at her; "He had the fire for her" made me chuckle. Even though I will not be finishing this book, I have no suggestions for changes because it seems to be in keeping with its genre.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 2:24 pm by MsTri.

Cher432

If I had not read the sample, I probably would not have read the book. This is because the story involves sailing, which does not interest me. I did not see any official OnlineBookClub review thus it was not a factor when deciding if I should read this book. Reading the sample, I found myself distracted by many errors, which I will list below;

The general fire alarm in the hallway outside my cabin howled, ringing, chattering- It would be better if it was written as ringing and chattering.

A huge sea boarded, filling the deck on the starboard side, foaming between the containers- "A huge sea" is wrong.

High water in number two hold forward- I could not understand what this sentence meant.

Carlton, nearly as old as me, the third engineer, on watch below, was matter-of-fact- this sentence should be restrictured for better readability for example "Carlton the third engineer on watch below, and who was nearly as old as me, was matter-of-fact".

If there was smoke in the wheelhouse where I stood, and smoke in the tunnel along the port side below the main deck... - remove "and smoke" and replace it with "as well as..."
I would not buy and read this book because there are too many grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 2:26 pm by Cher432.

JuliaKay

There is nothing about this cover or title that excites me or makes me curious. They both seem rather vague, and the cover doesn't seem professional. The title doesn't offer much but makes me think that maybe this book is about a stranded ship. The reviews and blurb were also not very exciting to me or make me any more interested in the book. I would not have chosen to sample this book if it were not for this program. The story begins with a man named Steve waking up to a blaring fire alarm on a ship. He had been having a nightmare about something that occurred on the Gulf of Alaska. Steve goes to investigate the alarm and where the fire is, and it seems to be coming from the port tunnel where some oil canisters are on fire. They figure that the fire must have been burning for hours before they were alerted to it. The ship crew works to put the fire out but has trouble, and Steve decides to turn the ship so that the wind is not fanning the fire. The fire had spread too far that they would have to abandon ship. The twenty-member crew split up on lifeboats while the sea was violent. Steve's group was not able to make contact with the other group, and they could only wait for help. I did notice several technical errors in this book. One instance is in the paragraph that begins "I toggled the small radio and began calling Randall..." In this paragraph, there were several words that had double spaces in between them. I believe that this book lacks professional editing. This book seems intense and stressful. When the fire was being described, I found myself getting anxious because the situation was so easy to imagine. I can see where this story is going based off the first ten pages, and while it does seem interesting, I do not know that I would want to read a whole book about it, especially with editing errors.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 4:12 pm by JuliaKay.

ritah

Based on the cover and genre, I would have sampled the book out of curiosity. I didn't see any official review for Adrift. I like the author's writing style and vivid description; I could picture the chaos on the ship as the alarms blared and the captain tried to remain calm despite of the smoke, he feared were from the engines, that filled the rooms. The book appeared to be professionally edited as I did not spot any errors in the pages I read. I also loved the maps as they gave a sense of exploration and adventure. I will be reading the rest of the book because the narration by the captain captured my interest from the first page.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 6:20 pm by ritah.

micoleon13

This is a great cover page which got my attention immediately, it looked like a book that I would like. Unfortunately, I couldn't find an OnlineBookClub review to find out more about the book. The pages which I read were well written and edited and it was difficult to stop reading. The story immediately draws the reader in with the fire on board the ship, and how terrifying it would be to not be able to get it under control. I was also curious about Steve's son Jimmie and what happened in his accident. This is a book that I would like to continue reading. I have no ideas for improvement.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 7:36 pm by micoleon13.

KRay93

The design of the cover is quite well achieved and conveys appropriately what the blurb proposes, but I think that a little extra work in the final montage would have suited it well. The first ten pages revolve around a captain that has to deal with a fire in his cargo ship until he finally decides to evacuate it. The prose is fluid and very appropriate for a book of the genre, while the editing work looks acceptable. The lack of an official review does not change the fact that, although it looks like a powerful reading, these kinds of stories about survival at sea (regardless of its action elements) do not usually attract my attention, which is why I will not continue reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 9:39 pm by KRay93.

Fuzaila

The cover is gorgeous and the blurb was appealing. I really liked how the book is action-packed right from the start. The situation at the ship sounds tense and compelling, but I found the observation that William should not have been standing still because he's heavy, a bit funny. The writing was smooth and error-free and professionally edited. There wasn't anything to dislike. I would like to read further to know more about what happens.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 10:00 pm by Fuzaila.

hsimone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this book. The main reason is because I read *Strong Heart*, the book prior to this one, and didn't really enjoy the book. Since this would be a sequel, I imagine I wouldn't enjoy it either. In general, though, the cover seems a bit blurry, but I do like the concise title. I did find the blurb to be lengthy and a bit disjointed with the amount of book praise included. Even with its positive ratings, including the OBC one, I still would not have sampled this read. Based on what I read, the book could use another round of editing. For instance, within the first paragraph of the "Steve" chapter, the line, "This December night in the Gulf of Alaska, the wind blowing 70, 80 miles an hour, it was rough.", would be better split into two different sentences or with a semicolon in between the words, "hour" and "it". The opening sequence of the ship catching on fire and the lives of the twenty people being in danger definitely is an exciting way to begin a story. However, when the perspective switched to Louise, my interest began to fade. Even though, it's great to have Louise and the rest of the crew gathering to try to rescue the ship on fire, I don't think I know enough about the characters to differentiate between everyone well enough yet. Due to this and the fact that I did not enjoy *Strong Heart*, I do not plan on reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 11:00 pm by hsimone.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book without this program. I never finished reading the first book, and I don't like to start a series in the middle. I also didn't see an OBC review for the book, and I rarely read books that don't have a review. The blurb also sounded like something I wouldn't really enjoy. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be finishing this book. I didn't really like the writing style. I thought it was short and choppy. I didn't really see any errors, but I thought the use of punctuation is part of what made the writing so choppy. The vocabulary also wasn't for me. They talked a lot about the different parts of the ship and the fire detection system. They were trying to find where there might be a short in the board. All of this terminology was a bit technical for me, and I had a hard time understanding it. Because of this, I won't be finishing the book. I did like the map at the beginning, and it did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2018, at 11:35 pm by anneloretrujillo.

va2016

The title and the cover are indicative of the theme of the book. The Amazon summary that I read is captivating. Although there are no Amazon customer reviews, the plot is very interesting, so I would have sampled the book even if not for the First Ten program. As I sampled through the book, I found the narration thrilling and making me very curious. Especially, the struggles that the ship's captain go through to contain the fire with the help of his crew are really interesting. I am going to read this book in full. I found the book professionally edited. I did not find any grammatical or mechanical errors. What I liked most about the book is its exhilarating narration. I could not find anything that can be improved in the book. Although I could not find any OBC reviews on the book, my decision to read the book in full is based on my own sampling.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2018, at 12:06 am by va2016.

Vickie Noel

I wouldn't have read this book outside the program because I don't like the cover. It just looks dark and bland. The title is okay. Also, for the fact that I'd had trouble reading the first book in the series, I'd have been skeptical about this as well. Reading the sample confirmed my feelings. I couldn't feel the nervous excitement that should accompany the description of a ship on fire, far away from land. There was equally too much narration and not even dialogue for my liking. I didn't grasp the meaning of this sentence, "High water in number two hold forward." The ones preceding and succeeding it were written in past tense so I couldn't figure out if this was a ship terminology or if it was a tense error. Other than that though, the book is professionally edited. The OBC review was really glowing but I just couldn't catch the vibe.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2018, at 12:11 am by Vickie Noel.

a9436

I am fascinated by all things maritime, so the blurb of Adrift attracted me instantly. The structure of the opening sentence, "The general fire alarm in the hallway outside my cabin howled, ringing chattering," gave me cause for concern that there might be a number of errors, but this unusual style did redeem itself by allowing me to empathise with the flowing thoughts of the protagonist. I could feel the crew's panic as they tried to come to terms with what was happening to their ship, and was dying to learn what could possibly have happened to the character of Jimmie. It was very difficult to stop reading after only ten pages, so I will definitely be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2018, at 3:17 am by a9436.

Momiji1987

I like the tense atmosphere the author creates with the ship fire. It puts you right in the action. I also liked the character building where you get to see a little of what happened to Steve’s son, Jimmie, after his accident. The editing looks very fine tuned, like the reviewer, I saw no errors. I know this is a sequel, but it seems to stand alone well. This is good because I don’t typically read sequels unless I already read the first book. I enjoy ocean stories so I would consider reading this book in the future. I love the title and the multilayered theme. The review definitely got me interested in checking this book out.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2018, at 3:20 am by Momiji1987.

OloladeO

Based on the cover, title and review, I would have read the sample because it promised to be a page turner. From the sample, Steve woke to the alarm on the ship. He saw that there was smoke and the bilge alarm went off. With the help of his crew, he soon discovered the fire and moved to steer the ship to get her running before the wind so the wind won't fan the flames further. Louise wanted to dump Larry because he was cheating, but couldn't because Larry owned half of the business which was on the edge of collapse. She woke up to the smell of money and so did Larry. Soon they heard a call over the radio about a ship on fire that was possibly abandoned. They both rushed to the warhorse with their crew and sailed to the ship. The book seems professionally edited. The OBC reviewer thoroughly enjoyed the read and I am sure that those that favor its genre will as well. As for me, I'll pass because I prefer the romance genre.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2018, at 3:29 am by OloladeO.

Gravy

This genre isn't among those I read heavily, and nothing really caught my attention, so I would not have sampled this. The sample did not change my mind.
I noticed no errors in what I read, the writing is consistant to what I know of the author, and the story seems plenty interesting. If this were more in my wheelhouse I would most likely read it.
I enjoy the way the fire scene is written. Not rushed, but still portraying urgency, and sounding very authentic.
I do not believe there was a review for this book, however, my opinion would be the same, regardless.
Due to my own reading preferences, I do not intend to continue this.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2018, at 3:46 am by Gravy.

Juliana_Isabella

Based on the description and cover, I might have picked up this book because I usually enjoy the genre. When I didn't find a review for it, my hope for enjoying it went down a little. After reading the sample, I decided not to buy the book today, although I may revisit it in future. Although I enjoyed the fast-paced, descriptive writing, there were too many introductions to characters, parts of the ship, and the narrator's past. My confusion was made worse by the author's habit of including multiple appositive phrases in each sentence. Though technically grammatically correct, the phrases often left me confused about what or who he was currently describing.

First Ten review added on April 1, 2019, at 8:42 am by Juliana_Isabella.

Theresam

I like the title and cover art of this book. It conveys the subject matter of the book very well. I would have picked this book up based on the cover. I haven’t read any reviews of this book yet. The first ten pages were full of action and suspense. I like the author’s writing style. However, the first ten pages are filled with a large amount of nautical terms and it became difficult to follow at times if you aren’t familiar with these terms. At times I wasn’t sure what was happening because I wasn’t familiar with these terms. The story in the book revolves around a fire in a ship. The first ten pages cover identifying that there is a fire and then a search to locate it. The book appears to be professionally edited because I didn’t find any errors. I will read reviews of this book to see if it is something i would enjoy reading, but based on the first ten pages I will not finish this book. This is largely due to the terminology specific to ships that I am not familiar with and that are used extensively in the first ten pages.

First Ten review added on April 1, 2019, at 9:03 am by Theresam.

Delaney35

After reading several review of this book, I was enticed and wanted to read this book. Also, since it was selected for April book of the month, I want to read it for sure. This one does not have an official review, however it has a lot of high-rated volunteer reviews. The main thing I noticed in the first few pages was the vivid imagery. Right away I could picture myself on the ship in the middle of a storm. I did not notice any grammatical mistakes either. I do plan on finishing this book and the first ten pages only reinforced my desire to do so.

First Ten review added on April 1, 2019, at 9:22 am by Delaney35.

TuyetMai

I definitely would have checked out this book even without the program because I love adventure and survival stories. The book seems like a good introduction to how things work at sea, given the author’s background. I enjoy the appropriately fast pace from the beginning. It’s hard to make sense of the situation at first, but it also shows how much trouble Steve is having with the ship fire. Since I consider grammar errors in dialogues to be part of the characters’ speech, I would say the book is professionally edited, but punctuation errors like this is very distracting: “If the captain’s still aboard her we can’t claim her by law” (Location 331 of 4376). Regardless, I’d still read this book as I want to know what will happen to the crew.

First Ten review added on April 1, 2019, at 12:33 pm by TuyetMai.

Kendra M Parker

A maritime adventure is not really something I was looking for. I have to admit that the first ten pages certainly started off with a bang, though. Steve’s account of the fire in the hold was certainly a good way to introduce a reader to the dangers of a fire on the ship. The way that Steve talked about Randall and compared him to his son, Jimmie definitely opened some interesting thoughts for the story. It makes me wonder what happened to Jimmie. I found the passage to be well edited, though the comma on page 2 might not be necessary. The passage reads “...my guys were calm, here.” I think this comma may not be necessary, but it’s a toss-up. I’m not sure that I’ll read the rest of this book, though. I understand it to be the second in a series, and I don’t really want to read about getting stranded in the ocean.

First Ten review added on April 1, 2019, at 1:21 pm by Kendra M Parker.

MarisaRose

I previously read Sheldon's "Strong Heart" and really enjoyed the story. Based on my previous experience with this author's work, I would be willing to buy "Adrift" blindly. An OBC review wouldn't sway my opinion in this case because I liked "Strong Heart" so much and found a lot of OBC reviewers had a difference of opinion, so I wouldn't want an OBC review to sway me negatively. After sampling the first ten pages of this book, as I'd previously decided, I'm going to continue reading the book. The first thing I noticed after reading the first ten pages of "Adrift" was that the book was written in changing first-person perspectives. I was intrigued by this change in writing style, since "Strong Heart" was mostly written in the third-person. The first chapter is written from the perspective of Steve, and I found him likable. I immediately wanted to know what was going on: why was the alarm going off in the cabin, and why were Steve and Ann in Alaska to begin with? Further, as with "Strong Heart," I was drawn to Sheldon's descriptions of the setting. I could feel the biting wind described, as well as the solitude of the location. I was also excited to see William, from "Strong Heart," make a return early on in this book. I look forward to reading the rest of "Adrift!"

First Ten review added on April 1, 2019, at 2:39 pm by MarisaRose.

Yolimari

The cover looks old and does not catch my attention, so I would not have sampled this book without this program. The OBC review that I read did not convince me to read it because it is the second book in a series I have not read. Plus, the storyline about lifeboats adrift the Gulf of Alaska does not interest me. I think a professional edited the book. I could not understand how Carlton was so calm during the discovery the fire. The scenes in which the crew talks about where is the fire bored me. I will not read this book because it does not interest me.

First Ten review added on April 1, 2019, at 5:33 pm by Yolimari.

KristyKhem

The cover design, blurb, title, and reviews confirmed that this book was a maritime adventure novel so I was excited to read it because I really enjoy stories in this genre. I liked that the sample began in the middle of the excitement when The Seattle Express caught fire and the crewmembers were trying to save themselves. I also liked the map that was included at the beginning. The small wave design added a visual aesthetic to the start of each chapter. This was a nice touch. The author made me bond with Steve when Randall, a youthful young man on the ship, made him think of his own son who had been wheelchair-bound since his accident. He had envisioned his son turning out to be like Randall. I did not see any grammatical errors in the sample. However, in one instance, the words ‘Seattle Express’ were typed in a larger italicized font compared to the rest of the sample. I was uncertain as to whether this was a formatting error. Regardless, I enjoyed the sample. I would like to buy and read this book.

First Ten review added on April 1, 2019, at 8:33 pm by KristyKhem.

Jessacardinal

I have previously seen reviews for this book. Because of the previous reviews I have read, this book is currently second on my list of books to read for Books of The Month. As someone who has spent most of her life on the big water, the cover most certainly captures my attention. The title seems fitting and provides a window into what may happen in consideration with the large waves illustrated on the cover. I would absolutely choose to read this book based on the cover and title alone. Although the book seems to be professionally edited, there are some run-on sentences that could be improved. An example is as follows: "I jerked awake, sat up, grabbed my clothing, and headed for the bridge one deck above, holding the handrails, staggering up the stairs, the ship shuddering into a rising sea, rolling." Nonetheless, the plot is so action-packed, I simply did not want to cease reading when I reached the end of the sample section. Because of this, I will read this book in the future.

First Ten review added on April 1, 2019, at 9:52 pm by Jessacardinal.

R Lawrence

This is a book I would have chosen to sample on my own because I enjoy the genre and the cover and title are intriguing, but reading the sample made me not want to finish the book because the story was poorly written. Even though there were few grammatical errors or typos, besides a missing common on page 9, the sentences were hard to follow and did not flow in a natural way. I appreciate that the book starts off right in the action but, again, the writing was just not good. I did not read the Official OnlineBookClub review but the fact that there was one did not encourage or discourage me from reading this book.

First Ten review added on April 1, 2019, at 10:38 pm by R Lawrence.

Firefawkes

This genre is one I read occasionally if a book looks appealing. After the first 10 pages I will definitely be continuing this book. I loved the action-packed scenes and need to know what happens to the captain and his crew! Having found no errors in the first 10 pages, I'd say this book was professionally edited. My favourite part was the sudden realization that the ship could not be saved, and that everyone would have to abandon ship. This is my favourite because it shows the captain making an extremely hard decision, but he approached the scenario with logic and came to a conclusion. My least favourite part was that we never found out why the sensors in the purifier room were not working; its a minor detail but one I would like to have an answer to.

First Ten review added on April 1, 2019, at 11:08 pm by Firefawkes.

Jsovermyer

The cover art is well-done and the title, Adrift, is exciting and would attract me to this book. This is thrilling story of survival. When their ship caught fire in the Gulf of Alaska, the crew of 20 men and women were forced to take to the lifeboats. This is the story of their ordeal adrift on the ocean and of the brave people who risked their lives to save them. There wasn't an official review, so I made my decision solely on the ten pages I read. I didn't find any spelling or grammatical errors and believe that this book has been professionally edited. The description of the fire was very realistic and made me feel as if I was present on the ship too. The captain, Steve, is a well-developed character. He worrried about the safety of his crew, but had to keep his cool so that the others would not panic. This story is exciting snd I would like to finish it to see who survives.

First Ten review added on April 1, 2019, at 11:39 pm by Jsovermyer.

Jbcitygirl

I would have definitely chosen to read this book based on the fact that it was chosen as book of the month by OnlineBookClub. After reading the first ten pages I am intrigued and find myself needing to continue reading so I can find out what is going to happen with the men drifting at sea. The book does appear to be professionally edited as I didn’t notice any errors. I liked most that the author managed to connect the reader to the characters at an emotional level - I feel bad for the captain and his sinking ship. Personally I did not enjoy the amount of technical detail used about the ship and felt it was unnecessary, however it would probably be very interesting for skippers and people who do know a lot more about ships. There was no official OnlineBookClub review and it was terribly missed. I feel like I’m reading in the dark without my peer review. It will not stop me from reading the book though.

First Ten review added on April 2, 2019, at 12:32 am by Jbcitygirl.

NuelUkah

The cover and title look catchy. I like that the setting is in a ship on sea. The beginning is interesting. I'd like to read this book and find out how the fire in the engine room began. What caused the fire? Who do I suspect?

The book seems to be professionally edited as I found no error. And yes, I got a copy already.

First Ten review added on April 2, 2019, at 4:44 am by NuelUkah.

ButterscotchCherrie

I would have sampled this book without the programme because I enjoyed "Strong Heart", the book that comes before it. I will read the rest of it after reading the sample because I hope to read more about the Haida Gwaii islands. The editorial review on Amazon was my main source of the information that that birthplace of William will feature in the novel, as well as all the main characters from "Strong Heart". The plot about the race to reach the ship also sounds exciting. The book appears to have been professionally edited as I did not notice any errors. What I liked best was that when the crew get on to the lifeboats, the information is provided that the nearest land is the Charlottes - that is, Haida Gwaii. A possible improvement would be the inclusion of a glossary of nautical terms and ship parts, assuming this doesn't feature in the book already. I did check out an OnlineBookClub review, but that didn't affect my decision.

First Ten review added on April 2, 2019, at 7:19 am by ButterscotchCherrie.

ElizaBeth Adams

The stormy cover of this book piques my curiosity and reeks of high-drama, life-threatening action; my kind of read!

The opening pages do not dissapoint. The reader is thrown into the action. Within the first ten pages the captain's ship is on fire, and you discover he is still haunted by some kind of trauma that befell his son almost twenty-five years prior. These two plot lines are introduced without seeming forced.

I will continue to read this book. It has effectively hooked me, promises well-developed characters, and a suspenseful plot. Thus far, it also appears to be professionally edited.

I love how masterfully the author is depicting the opening scenes. I feel as though I am there on the ship, facing an uncertain future. I don't think the opening could be improved any further.

While I didn't find an official review, volunteer reviewers on OnlineBookClub appear to be in consensus. Collectively they have rated this work a 4 out of 4. I truly look forward to reading the rest of it for myself.

First Ten review added on April 2, 2019, at 9:01 am by ElizaBeth Adams.

Emy Katherine

Although the cover is captivating, I would not have read the book based on the blurb and the genre as I do not read adventure novels. Oddly enough, I changed my mind after reading the first ten pages and the several volunteer reviews on the OBC site. I liked the author's writing style; it was unique, engaging, and very descriptive. Also, both the suspense and the action grabbed my attention while reading the first ten pages. "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon is the second book in the Strong Heart Series. As I have not read the first book, I am glad "Adrift" can be read as a standalone. When a fire starts aboard a container ship known as Seattle Express, twenty crew members are forced to abandon ship. After boarding two lifeboats, the crew members hope to be rescued as they are adrift in the stormy Gulf of Alaska. I cannot wait to read this story of survival, hope, and friendship. However, I am not sure the book was professionally edited as I found some missing commas. For example, "The ship rolled our way and I saw the tops of the stacked containers" instead of "The ship rolled our way, and I saw the tops of the stacked containers."

First Ten review added on April 2, 2019, at 9:37 am by Emy Katherine.

unamilagra

Before sampling this book, I probably would not have picked it up. Stories about sailing typically don't appeal to me. However, the OBC reviews have been positive, so I was interested to read the first ten pages. The first ten pages really pulled me into the story, with the ship fire and the crew's reaction to it. I can't wait to find out what happens after they abandon ship. Because of the engaging writing, I will be finishing this book in the near future. I did not note any errors in the section I read.

First Ten review added on April 2, 2019, at 5:33 pm by unamilagra.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read pure romance books. Further, I found the cover a little plain due to its blue and white color combination. However, the map and the image of the sea on the cover caught my attention. Having read the sample, I liked how the author began with positive reviews of the book. It gave me a good impression of the book before even reading its content. The maps that the author added before the first chapter also made the sample more interesting. However, I would have liked a more elaborate introduction to the book. I would have liked to know the author better before reading the content. I did not find any major grammatical errors. However, I would have liked more spacing between paragraphs. Since I do not read the genre usually, I will not be reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on April 2, 2019, at 10:55 pm by AA1495.

Bianka Walter

This is not a book I would have sampled without the first ten program. I didn't know much about it, and the cover only alluded to the fact that it was about a ship accident after I looked more closely at it. The book jumps right in to where the ship is on fire, and the captain and crew are frantically (but calmly) trying to put out the fire and save the ship. When they realise that they have to abandon ship, they follow procedure and board the safety boats. This really is a bang of a start to a book, and I must say, after doing everything right - I am intrigued to see how they fail to get rescued immediately. The book seemed well edited; I found no errors. All of the OBC reviews have solidified my desire to read this book further.

First Ten review added on April 3, 2019, at 4:58 am by Bianka Walter.

Total ~ 44%

Adrift earned a score of 44%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 44% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Adrift