Cover for Border Post 99

The First Ten Feedback for Border Post 99: No Man's Land

Because Border Post 99 was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

va2016

Any modern army, diplomacy or a secret service story interests me! India, Pakistan border is a hotspot all these years, and I would like to get an insight of the border areas through the author's eyes (or his theoretical knowledge of the border areas). I find the writing style natural and contemporary Indian. So, when time permits, I am going to read this book.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 11:39 am by va2016.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as this is not the type of book I would normally read. The cover is nice and the blurb informative, but the OBC review is the one that had me intrigued. The opening pages dragged a little, but it did set the scene by introducing Lt. Sharma and the area. I found it too slow-paced, nor did I like the writing. I won't read the book as the sample failed to pull me in.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 12:14 pm by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

godreaujea

After reading the Official OnlineBookClub review, I decided that I would be interested in reading the whole book. Now that I have finished reading the sample on Amazon, I have concluded that I would like to finish the book in its entirety. It is only 56 pages long, receives high reviews on Amazon, is extremely well-written, and seems to send a positive message about humanity overpowering hate and fear. I think the cover is fetching as well. I look forward to finishing the story!

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 12:52 pm by godreaujea.

James Craft

This book sounds super interesting with really unique and fascinating connections in it. I'm going to have to check it out just to see how well it is put together. The opening is really clean, and it got a 4-star review from OBC which is a huge bonus.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 1:15 pm by James Craft.

Snowflake

This book has an interesting title so I may have sampled it without the program. I really enjoyed the first ten pages. It was easy to understand and relate to the main character and the main idea of the story. It was very well edited and the writing stlye flowed well, was clear and was easy to understand. I would enjoy reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 3:38 pm by Snowflake.

CataclysmicKnight

This is the first I learned about the India/Pakistan conflict, and it's an excellent way to learn! Border Post 99 is such a crazy, scary place to be "stationed" with it being totally unprotected and technically "no man's land". I'm very interested to see how he'll acclimate to it, and with it being so short it won't take long at all to find out!

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 3:38 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

EMoffat

Had I not read the sample pages I would have been tempted to read this book. I find the story very interesting, the cover is great, and the reviews are very good. After reading the sample pages I will not continue. Although I think the story is very well written, and I would love to continue reading, I have many books to read and it wasn't quite gripping enough at the beginning to make me want to buy it. The book seemed professionally edited and I found no grammatical errors. My favourite part was the story itself which I found very unique. There was an Official OnlineBookClub review which was very good, but it did not convince me to buy the book.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 4:10 pm by EMoffat.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. I do not really read war stories. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. Overall, I liked the casual writing style especially in dialogue, but there were still some terms that I didn't know. I read the official review but it did not affect my decision. The sample was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 4:33 pm by psychopathycathy.

Sarah_Khan

The plot of this story and the Online Book club review make me excited to start reading the sample. After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this book seems professionally edited and very well-written. I look forward to reading the rest.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 5:11 pm by Sarah_Khan.

classicaltwist

I wouldn't buy the book based on my first impression. I think the cover could be improved. If I was browsing Amazon casually, neither the cover nor the title would've interested me. The blurb was definitely interesting, but when I lost interest when I saw that it was only 56 pages. That kind of plot would be interesting with really complex characters and good character development, and that's really tough to do with just 56 pages. I wouldn't be willing to pay $2.99 and take the plunge.

The sample did not change my mind. The book does seem to have been professionally edited based on what I read. However, the blurb did not draw me into the story. There was a lot telling instead of showing and I found myself losing interest quickly.

There is an official OnlineBookClub review, but that did not change my mind since the execution of a story is just as important to me as the plot itself, and so I can't see myself enjoying this story based on what I read even though the plot sounds great and seems to have a great message.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 5:12 pm by classicaltwist.

CrescentMoon

I really like the themes that are present within this book. I think it's really important. I don't really think this book is for me though. I typically like to read fantasy, science fiction, and crime and mystery novels. I am not the target audience but for those that are I'm sure they would enjoy reading this.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 5:37 pm by CrescentMoon.

micoleon13

I like the simplicity of cover page, it's also nicely laid out. I would be interested in finding out more about the book from this. Even though it had received a good review from the Onlinebookclub, I didn't find the story line something that grabbed my attention. Reading the book, I found it well written with no editorial mistakes. It's an interesting topic for a story but, unfortunately, one I didn't personally find enthralling. I would not continue with this book. As my reasons were just personal preference, I have no ideas for improvement.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 6:50 pm by micoleon13.

ashley_claire

The first thing I thought when I saw this on Amazon was that it wasn't going to be for me. It's classified under the War genre and that's not typically something that I go for. But the OBC review made it sound much more charming and not at all like your typical war story. I enjoyed the sample that I read and the promise of what was to come according to the OBC review had me very interested in this book. But to me, the Amazon price is too steep for a 56 page book. $0.99 would have made more sense to me for such a short book and I probably would have bought it. As it is I can't justify the price to myself and I won't be reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 7:34 pm by ashley_claire.

Vermont Reviews

Today's choice for the book of the day. Border Post 99 No Man's Land by Kedar Patankar show the fear of the character of Managesh Sharma a newly commissioned officer in the Indian army, who has been sent to post 99 a no man's land. The preview was excellent. I would have purchased the book based on reading the preview. At this time I am overbooked and will not be downloading the book.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 8:47 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Mollymae

I love the title and the cover. The story sounds very inspirational. The sample I read was well written. It's a nice switch to have a heartwarming, positive tale.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 10:27 pm by Mollymae.

L_Therese

The cover for this book was certainly interesting, but I couldn't really tell too much about the story from it. As I explored further, I found some of the details interesting with good potential for uniqueness. Reading the first ten pages, I didn't see any errors, so in the end, my decision really comes down to the fact that I am already over-committed when it comes to the books I plan to read. I was favorably impressed, but not wow-ed enough to add to an already over-filled list.

First Ten review added on July 2, 2017, at 8:26 am by L_Therese.

bookowlie

I was able to get a clear sense of the plot from the well-written summary blurb. The beginning pages appear to be professionally edited and there is good use of imagery to evoke the setting. I also read the OBC review which is very positive. Unfortunately, I do not care for war fiction so I am not interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on July 2, 2017, at 11:52 am by bookowlie.

ananya92

From the sample, it is evident that the author has created a detailed atmosphere for the novel, and a lot of research has gone into the same. The book being a novella, I expected the story to be a little more fast, but that isn't disappointing. The book seems to be edited properly. The description and the review were quite helpful in pointing out what to expect from this novella. The interesting storyline and sentimental message embedded in the story, are tempting factors to pick up this book. I like how the political context situation is dealt with sensitivity in the book. However, much as I liked the concept and sample of the book, currently it is too sensitive a story for me to read, so I'll skip it for now.

First Ten review added on July 2, 2017, at 1:34 pm by ananya92.

ZenaLei7

Since the book isn't free, I don't think I will be able to read the entire book. The sample was interesting and I didn't notice any major grammatical errors either. The book cover also looks interesting.

First Ten review added on July 2, 2017, at 3:12 pm by ZenaLei7.

Gravy

This isn't something I would look at. However, the premise is one that pulled me in, and the writing helped that along. I didn't notice any errors.
While I enjoyed the sample, it wasn't quite enough to commit me to reading it. It may, however, stay with me. If so, I would read it eventually.
I would recommend this, though I don't plan to read it at this time.

First Ten review added on July 2, 2017, at 8:20 pm by Gravy.

Kitkat3

I like the title, but the cover doesn't really pull me in. The blurb makes me interested in the story, and the book has good reviews. I may have sampled this book without this program. It does appear to be professionally edited. The OBC review praises the book, and it makes me interested in the story. This is a good indication of whether or not I should read it. However, after reading the first ten pages, I don't think that I will be purchasing and reading the book right now. I may in the future.

First Ten review added on July 2, 2017, at 8:29 pm by Kitkat3.

Amagine

The beginning of the story started a little too slow for me and couldn't hold my attention. I couldn't get a grasp of the plot or any of the characters. In general, I'm sure someone else would enjoy this book but it didn't capture my interest.

First Ten review added on July 2, 2017, at 8:55 pm by Amagine.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I may have picked it up. It has just the right combination of elements I like in a story. After the first ten pages, I did not change my mind. The sample was interesting, intriguing, and seemed week written and edited. I'll likely add this one to my TBR list to read in the future although probably not but it today; I'll mark it as yes for that reason.

First Ten review added on July 2, 2017, at 10:10 pm by Scerakor.

Momlovesbooks

I read the description of the book and thought it wouldn't be something I'd like. I read the first few pages and decided it just wasn't my cup of tea. I won't be reading it.

First Ten review added on July 2, 2017, at 10:59 pm by Momlovesbooks.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, I thought that it was easy to read and understand. However, I thought that a lot of information was provided in the first few pages. The book has a favorable onlinebookclub review and seems professionally edited. Since I do not read this genre usually, I do not think I will read the book further.

First Ten review added on July 2, 2017, at 11:51 pm by AA1495.

klbradley

Just from reading the Official Review, I can tell that the characters within this story are well developed and personable, which I always a great asset, especially in the case of shorter stories. I was pleased to see that this will include the experiences of two characters and their time of war, which I have recently became more likely to read. The only reason I am not able to choose to read this book right now is simply not enough time to complete a long past due list of others.

First Ten review added on July 2, 2017, at 11:56 pm by klbradley.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb and OBC review. It sounded like a good, positive story. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be buying this book. The talk about the post was a little too in depth for me. It just isn't my type of content. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2017, at 1:11 am by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

From the cover, I don't think I would be reading this book because it seems like it's about war, and the struggles that the character encounters. I will not be reading this book because the first ten pages had me confused with all the war vocabulary. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2017, at 2:40 am by jungkookblog.

Cjgarland89

Based on the cover alone I wouldn't have checked out this story. After seeing the OBC review I became pretty interested. I had not known about this order conflict before and it seemed like an intriguing topic to learn more about. After the first ten I won't be finishing this book. It begins a little too slowly for me and I wasn't hooked.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2017, at 6:25 am by Cjgarland89.

MarisaRose

"Border Post 99" is not a book I would typically choose to read. The overall content and themes just don't appeal to me. I'm not a fan of military or war books. After sampling the first ten pages of the book for this program, I found a lot of merit in the author's writing style. The narrative carried me along and there was a clear tone set right from the start of the book. The writing is clean and engaging; I didn't notice any grammatical errors in the sample. Despite the enjoyable writing, I'm just not intrigued by the topics at hand in this book. I can see how this one would appeal to fans of the genre, but it's just not for me.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2017, at 8:24 am by MarisaRose.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would not have chosen to read/sample this book because I normally do not read war stories, especially if they're contemporary.

I am not going to buy and read the whole book at this time because the price is above my eBook spending limit. This is unfortunate because I liked the sample, but I can't justify spending that much on a book that's only 92 pages long.

The book is professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

This book is very engaging. I could immediately relate to Sharma's character as he described the start of his experience at his new post. I found myself thoroughly immersed in the story. I enjoyed learning about no man's land and the India-Pakistan border.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2017, at 9:55 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 26%

Border Post 99 earned a score of 26%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 26% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Border Post 99