Cover for The Face of Fear

The First Ten Feedback for The Face of Fear: A Powers and Johnson Novel

Because The Face of Fear was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

cpru68

Had I not been a part of the online book club, I probably would not have given this book a glance due to the cover, and I don’t prefer horror novels. The sample pages revolve around Debra, a twenty-six year old woman who is the daughter of a wealthy man, William Lance. She seems to enjoy spending time at his luxurious home on Long Island and she and Robert, his hired help, have had a romantic involvement. Her dad watches her board a ferry because she is going out for the evening with friends to a concert. However, unbeknownst to him, there are men on board who knock her unconscious and throw her in the trunk of her car. After not meeting her friend, Robert is contacted and he reports this to his employer, her father. The hunt for her then begins. I liked the easy plot that this begins with. It had a nice feel like it was building, and I felt like I was being allowed to see the scenes with my own eyes and not being told what was happening. I did find a couple errors in the content. At 6 percent of the sample, I saw a sentence describing William’s car as “diamond white Corevette”. There needs to be an article “a” added before diamond. Also, in 9 percent of the sample, a space is needed between “belongings” and “in” where she is going through “the belongings in her pocketbook.” Other than that, I did not see any other typos in the portion I read, and because there was not an official review, I am guessing that this was professionally edited. Like I mentioned at the beginning of this, I don’t read horror novels. However, I do read some crime novels if there isn’t a lot of graphic scenes. Suggestions of crimes committed without grisly detail are okay if the novel focuses on the crime being solved. However, without a review to go on for further information, I could not determine how graphic this book gets, so I won’t be finishing this one.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 9:23 am by cpru68.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as neither the cover nor the blurb appealed to me. The Ghost Face Mask on the cover made it seems like a horror book, not a genre I enjoy reading. The blurb gives a better sense of the content, but it didn't pull me in either. The story follows a kidnapping investigation which turns into a murder. The sample opened with an excitement, a kidnapping on a ferry, but the pace slowed down after that. Although I like the concept of the book, I didn't find the story engaging. While I didn't notice any obvious errors, I didn't care for the laconic writing style. I did wonder what is the connection of the mask to the tale, but not enough to read the book. I won't read the tale, as it isn't my cup of tea. I didn't see an official review, but it wouldn't have changed my mind.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 9:42 am by gali.

lesler

Looking at the cover, it looks like a SCREAM ripoff, and I am not interested. Reading the sample, I enjoyed it, but not enough to keep reading. This book appears to be professionally edited, with no grammatical errors or typos that I noticed. I liked the development of Debbie as a person the most in the book, and I felt connected to her and want to figure out what happened to her as a result. I did not like how clunky the writing seemed-it just didn't "flow" to me. I will not be reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 9:47 am by lesler.

Camille Turner

I would not have sampled this book without the program because I don't like the genre, which is clearly horror/thriller based on the cover, title, and Amazon blurb. After reading the first ten pages, I'm not sure the book was professionally edited because I noted several errors. For example, the sentence "...take inventory of her belongingsin her purse" is missing a space between two words and the sentence "He tried to think of other options that could have happen" should actually read "happened." My impression has stayed the same as the book started off immediately with the kidnapping of young Debbie and is obviously a thriller. I won't finish reading it because like I said, it's just not my preferred genre. However, I think it will appeal to those who like thrillers because it starts off with action and the tone is very detective-like. For example, the narrator tells readers that something bad will happen when he mentions the detectives sitting next to Debbie while she's unaware they'll be in her life after that day. I liked these aspects of the book and don't think it needs improvement (apart from editing). I also like that many of the characters (Debbie, Robert, William, Powers, and Johnson) are all introduced from the very beginning.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 10:09 am by Camille Turner.

CinWin

I loved the cover of "The Face of Fear" by R.J. Torbert. It looks like a very scary book. I read the first 10 pages and it is indeed scary and mysterious. Deborah is a 26-year-old woman born into a privileged world. Her father is very protective of her, requiring she calls him once a day. One day, after lunching with Dad, she boards a ferry out of Long Island and is kidnapped. Who did this and why? We will have to finish the book to fiind out. I was very impressed with how smoothly the story ran. The author was able to tell a lot about the characters in the first chapter without giving the reader a sense of overwhelm. I cannot finish it right now since I have 6 other books on my reading list. However, I do want to finish it later. There were no typos and it progressed very smoothly. There was not an onlinebookclub review, but that did not affect my reading decision.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 10:46 am by CinWin.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Mercy Bolo

Judging by the cover, I wasn't going to read this book, and the absence of an official OBC review didn't sway my decision. When I read the first ten pages, I liked that although she lost her mother at a young age, Debbie and her father were close. I marveled when I read that if he lost his daughter, Mr. Lance would have no reason to live. As I noticed no errors, I'll conclude that the text underwent professional editing, but I won't read the rest of the book because I didn't find its contents appealing. As it is, there's nothing I would change about the bit I read.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 11:33 am by Mercy Bolo.

lavellan

I probably would have not read the sample of The Face of Fear if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. There wasn’t a Book of the Day review for it so I wasn’t sure of what to expect. The book did not seem like it was professionally edited and I noticed two errors while reading. In the following sentence, there is a space missing between two words: “...take inventory of her belongingsin her pocketbook...” I liked how the author set the scene and built suspense leading up to Debbie’s kidnapping. I didn’t like the author’s writing style. It felt rushed and there was too much telling instead of showing. As a result of this, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 12:02 pm by lavellan.

melissy370

If I saw this book in the library I would not read it because the cover looks like it is for a horror story. That is a genre I do not like to read. From reading the sample I can see it is more of a crime thriller and that is something I would enjoy. However, I did not like how the story was executed. The author gave too many details that I would have rather seen played out in the story. For example, Debbie and her dad are eating in the pizza place and the author makes a point to call attention to the two detectives sitting near them who will play a part in Debbie's destiny. I don't think that information was necessary and would have rather found out on my own. I also would have liked more dialogue between the characters and less of the author's narration. The book did not seem professionally edited because there were several errors in the sample. "4 vehicles in front of her in the row next to her were 3 occupants who had interest in what Debbie Lance was doing." The numbers should have been written out as "four" and "three". I did like the bond that Debbie and her dad shared, but it is not enough to keep me reading.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 12:34 pm by melissy370.

Sahani Nimandra

The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert is a read about a father's struggle in finding his missing daughter. I was really drawn to these sentences, "...she was required to call her dad at least once a day no matter where he or she was. If she missed a day, she would lose her phone for a week and have it replaced with a GoPhone. His words stuck with her after she lost the phone the first few times. Her father would say, "Until you are responsible to another, I want to hear from you once a day. This way when I don't, I know something is wrong." Little did he or she know, those words would ring true." It's admirable how the author brings out the importance of keeping a close eye on kids. The story seems to have an interesting casual flow. I didn't encounter and hindrances while reading. This is a read that I may look forward to in the near future.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 1:04 pm by Sahani Nimandra.

desantismt_17

This book’s title made me curious. Since I’m not a fan of police procedurals, the genre and description didn’t hook me. Before sampling, I wasn’t going to read. After sampling, I’ll pass. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed only a couple of missing commas. One comes in the following sentence, where there should be a comma before “as:” “From the time Debbie as her friends called her, got her first cell phone.” The introductory paragraphs didn’t hook me. For a story that falls under the mystery genre, the opening felt dull—just a privileged young woman enjoying her life of luxury. There’s a lot of description about how she spends her days and how her father is a great guy. Despite this, there was a sense of foreboding, like something could go wrong, which the author did well. The writing is good. There were some lines where the author would impart information about the setting in present tense, rather than the past tense the narrative seems to be told in. Rather than part of the story, these segments came across as asides to catch-up the reader on the setting. Another pass to tighten the narrative would improve this book. I didn’t see an OnlineBookClub.org review but doubt one would have changed my mind. This isn’t my kind of book, and the writing just didn’t pull me in.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 1:39 pm by desantismt_17.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I may have read it. The book sounded like it may have a lot of action in it and be a quick read. After reading the first ten pages I didn’t change my mind and therefore will be buying and reading the rest of this book. I really enjoyed the set up to the story and some of the foreshadowing that came even within the first ten pages. Discussions about continual contact with a parent and going to Z Pita where the detectives are already setting the stage for a suspenseful tale. I didn’t see anything specific that I would have wanted to change within the sample that I read and it did seem well written and edited. I can definitely see myself buying and reading this one eventually. The official review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 1:56 pm by Scerakor.

Cher432

If I had not read the sample, I probably would not have read the read the booķ.This is because I really hate horror. I did not see any official OnlineBookClub review but I read the blurb, which convinced me that it was not my type of book. Reading the sample, I was distracted by the number of typos present such as;
i) Deborah loved relaxing in the back of the home where she grew up in Belle Terre, Long Island- I think there should be a comma between up and in.
 ii) At 26 years of age she couldn't have asked for a better life other than losing her mother at the age of 13- I think there should be a comma between life and other.
iii) Insured was used in a sentence insteas of ensured.
I think the author needs to work on comma usage in the book. I would not buy and read the book, as its not a genre I enjoy.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 2:28 pm by Cher432.

Yolimari

I do not read crime and murder stories, so I would not have sampled this book without this program. I did not see an OBC review. After I read the sample pages, I thought the book needs another editorial review. An example of an error is “belongingsin.” I did not like that the narrator tells everything. I prefer when authors show rather than tell. Despite of that, Debbie’s kidnapping was a bit interesting. I wonder why the three men kidnapped her. I will not read this book because it is about murder. Also, I did not like the author’s writing style.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 2:40 pm by Yolimari.

HRichards

I normally wouldn't have picked this book up mainly because I'm not the biggest fan of the thriller genre. After reading the sample, I will not be continuing on with the book, as the writing style wasn't really to my taste. The sample focuses on Debbie, a young woman who goes missing, and the events that lead up to her disappearance. I found the writing a bit choppy and juvenile sounding, and the writing didn't inspire me to get past my distaste for the genre. The author may have an interesting premise with what appears to be a slasher on the lose, but the writing didn't appeal to me. There was a grammar error after "diamond white Corvette" where there should be a period and start to a new sentence rather than a comma. I have not read any other reviews of this book.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 2:53 pm by HRichards.

Debjani Ghosh

Though the customer reviews heaped praises on the book, I would not have sampled this book due to its mediocre book cover. The blurb provided on Amazon promises a captivating novel. However, the mundane descriptions of settings, landscapes, and characters nearly drove me to sleep. Once the kidnapping happened, the rest of the plot failed to capture my attention. Hence, I will not be reading the whole book.

There were a handful of errors in the sample. For instance, a semi-colon is wrongly inserted here – "Once you came inside, the small café; was divided by a wall." I did not see any official OnlineBookClub review of this book; however, this did not affect my decision of sampling the book.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 3:14 pm by Debjani Ghosh.

ButterscotchCherrie

I wouldn't have sampled this book without the program as I don't normally read thrillers (or horror) and generally have a long reading list at the moment. I also won't buy and read this today on the basis of the sample because the book might be gory and also it seems poorly edited. In that regard, I noticed several errors, including: "the small cafe; was divided by a wall" (incorrectly used semicolon); "belongingsin" (space missing); and "pursor" (incorrect spelling). One thing I did really like was the build-up of tension before Debbie was attacked. Attention is drawn to the men to flag their premeditated crime, starting with the narrative about how one then another bought a ticket for one person in one vehicle even though there were three of them. When this builds up to Debbie jumping at the ship's horn, it feels a lot like a scary scene in a film. The editing could be improved, with regard to the grammatical errors as well as some redundant content, such as the phrase "Debbie as her friends called her". That's not a remotely unusual short version so it would work if the author referred to Deborah then Debbie. I didn't see an OnlineBookClub review, which didn't affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 3:20 pm by ButterscotchCherrie.

Laura Bach

"The Face of Fear" is a crime thriller book. Deborah has a good life. She has all the love of her father, but she has a strict rule to call him every day or she loses her phone for a week. She has a secret relationship with Robert, her father's assistant. One day, Deborah is kidnapped. The writing style and the characters are catchy. They captivate the reader from the very beginning. I wouldn't have tried this book out without the program because the cover is scary and I don't feel good about horror. I don't usually read crime thrillers, so this book is not for me. I found no grammar mistakes.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 3:47 pm by Laura Bach.

kfwilson6

The Ghost Face and creepy red letters on the cover of this book are not appealing to me at all. I did not know the Ghost Face was something more than a mask used in the "Scream" movies. Aside from the use of the Ghost Face on the cover, I was not initially interested in this book due to some mixed Amazon reviews indicating some reviewers found it boring, slow, and poorly written.
One reviewer mentioned that the book sounds like a TripAdvisor advertisement, and I absolutely agree. Even the description of the ferry and what one can do during the ferry ride was too extensive. The writing style is way too much "tell." Rather than stating that "two tickets were bought for two people," he writes,"2 tickets were bought for 2 people." This tendency to use digits is not appropriate for a novel. I will definitely pass on this book as the writing leaves a lot to be desired. Including the fact that Torbert's novel needs a good editor. There were various errors including missing spaces, missing words, and missing commas: "The trunk of the car was opened and Debbie Lance was thrown inside."

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 4:02 pm by kfwilson6.

Julie Green

I would not read this book based on the title or cover; while the title is OK as it is suggestive of crime novels, which I do enjoy, the picture is just too frightening! It feels more like a horror story. Having read the opening pages, I will be reading the book.
I like how the book opens mid-action, and how the author builds tension. Specifically, I like how the author describes each direction that Deborah takes in her car; it suggests we need to pay attention to the details of Deborah's actions, as something bad is going to happen to her. I also like how the police activities only add to the drama, as they work out how the kidnapping could have taken place - visiting the ferry to confirm the theory could work in practice.
I did spot a few grammatical errors e.g. the words "belongingin" are accidentally joined up at 9% (I do not have page numbers) of the sample.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 5:21 pm by Julie Green.

sarahmarlowe

If I hadn't read the first ten pages of this book, I don't know if I would have selected it. The cover led me to believe this was a horror story, not a crime mystery. After reading the sample, though, I am interested in reading the book! I enjoy crime dramas, and The Face of Fear seems to include a lot of the things I look for: strong detectives, a likable victim, and enough mystery to keep me guessing. I liked the flow of the writer's prose, but I was very disappointed to see all of the editing problems. There were a number of grammatical errors and formatting errors. I did not notice any OnlineBookClub reviews, but I would certainly take those into consideration.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 6:08 pm by sarahmarlowe.

sonya01

The author launches directly into her story within the first couple of pages, which makes for a nice change. From the outset, I could telll that this book was going to be fast paced and captivating. The book’s title and cover design would have attracted me regardless, as I am a big fan of this genre, and other reviews confirmed my decision. It gives the impression of a really scary story but any horror implied by the cover does not reveal itself in the first ten pages. The language used was fairly formal and well-written, but there were three errors which were apparent in the first ten pages, one of which was using “insure” instead of “ensure”. There were also two sentences which didn’t make sense. I would hate to see such a great book spoiled by poor editing so I hope these were only isolated errors. The development of characters could easily be the aspect I enjoyed most, as this was handled professionally and I’m sure only gets better the deeper into the book we go. I really liked the way the kidnapping scene takes place in the beginning; it is quite understated which makes the whole store very suspenseful. In spite of being very attracted to this book, I might not read it to completion unless it was book of the month. This is because kidnapping (if that is, indeed, the crime here) is not a favorite crime topic of mine.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 6:42 pm by sonya01.

SABRADLEY

The Online Book Club review mentioned the errors in this book but still gave it four stars. I noted several run-on sentences while reading the first ten pages, including in this sentence: "From the time Debbie as her friends called her, got her first cell phone" in which there is a missing comma after "Debbie." I think the title and cover are appropriate for the genre. The sample reading was about Deborah, a 26 year old woman getting ready to go to a concert with her friend. She was raised by her wealthy father who requires her to check in with him once a day. I think the author did a good job setting the stage for things to come and I liked the early character development. Apart from that, I didn't really care for the sample. This book needs a professional editor and maybe something more attention grabbing right off the bat. Due to those issues, I will not be reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 6:52 pm by SABRADLEY.

BunnySTx

After reading a few pages of, The Face of Fear by R.J. Torbert, I have decided that I will not be purchasing this book today. I will be putting this book on my to-be-read shelf. When I first saw the cover of this book, my first thought was a horror novel. I am an avid reader of the horror genre, and my interest was piqued. As I read the blurb, I learned that this is a mystery/thriller novel with horror elements. My interest is still piqued as I am an avid mystery reader. As I read the blurb, my interest is piqued and dulled at the same time. This book sounds like it is a sequel. Do I need to have read the first? I'm curious as to who this "ghost face" is. If I had not read a sample of this book, I would have picked it up. I appreciate how the author begins the story. The author starts the story with the kidnapped victim. It seems like a regular day for her, but things are soon going to go wrong. The author builds my anticipation. I like the instruction that her father gives her. He instructs her to call him every day, so he knows she is okay. I feel that this is the perfect set-up. I'm eager to read more. Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does not have an official OnlineBookClub review. I am still interested in this book. The price is a bit much for me though. The price is the only thing that will preclude me from purchasing this book today. I will be putting this book on my to-be-read shelf.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 7:53 pm by BunnySTx.

LV2R

The book cover and title look very scary to me, and I do not like that kind of book. The sample is not bad, as it describes Debbie Lance and her overprotective father. She boards the ferry and that is the last her father sees her. She is knocked out near her car and put into the trunk of her own car. Later, her car is found near the ferry abandoned. I like best that the first ten pages sets up a mysterious kidnapping and a possible murder that entices the reader to keep reading. I do not think that the book is edited well because I noticed several errors. On about 8% of the sample, a space was missing between “belonging” and “in”. On about 9%, a hyphen was missing from “air conditioned seating” and “everytime” should be two words. I also noticed that on 9% of the sample, the number four was used to start a sentence (“4 vehicles in front of her…”) The author did not spell out numbers for “3 occupants”, “1 occupant”, and “2 others” on the 9% sample page. After reading the Amazon Blurb, I decided not to read the book because it describes the book as the “Ghost Face” returns, and the kidnapping on the Cross Island ferry leads to a series of murders. I do not like to read about serial killers and to be scared. There wasn’t any OBC review. Though this will be OBC book of the month for December, I will have to pass on this one.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 9:12 pm by LV2R.

Momiji1987

I’m not a huge fan of crime fiction, but I like the way the author used some clever foreshadowing by having Debbie and the detectives who will be looking into her case eating lunch in the same building. I don’t like death and darkness, so the cover image is depressing to me. I probably won’t continue reading, but I do think the author is talented and I like the way he wrote Debbie’s last day. The editing was superbly executed with no errors. There was no review, but the genre already helped me decide whether this book appealed to me.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 9:33 pm by Momiji1987.

FictionLover

I would never have read this book based on the cover or title. I am not fond of horror and this does not appeal to me. There was no OBC review, and the first ten did not impress me. The opening was a narrative where the author is telling the reader what is happening instead of showing with action. I did not enjoy this. . . . I noticed some grammatical errors. In one sentence there were 2 grammatical errors, a misplaced comma and semi-colon: "Once you came inside, the small cafe; was divided by a wall." Another sentence was missing a space: "...take inventory of her belongingsin her pocketbook." . . . . I did find the scene on the ferry suspenseful and creepy as he describes the men who are watching Debbie, stalking her. This story is not for me, so other than taking more time and describing the characters through their actions, I don't know how to improve this book.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 10:29 pm by FictionLover.

Kareka88

If all I had were the cover and title, I would not have read this book if it were not for First Ten. There was no review available on OnlineBookClub, however, I saw some reviews on Amazon that were very positive. I liked Detective Powers in the sample. I think he's a good detective and will be able to solve the crime. I believe that he went to the Ferry and tried things out to figure out how the kidnapping occurred was a good idea. I noticed in some comments that the book was not well edited, but I did not see any grammatical errors in the sample I read. I liked the writing style, and the sample was enough to heighten my interest in reading more. I think it will be the kind of book that is hard to put down.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2018, at 11:44 pm by Kareka88.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. I do not think this is my genre. After reading the sample, I have changed my mind. I was surprised by how different the book was from the cover, and I quite enjoyed how the story started with the innocent, domestic scenes, then went to the investigators' perspective in the second chapter. It was professionally edited. I did not read the official review but that did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 3:02 am by psychopathycathy.

ladycraic

I would not have chosen to sample The Face of Fear apart fromFirst Ten due to disinterest in "horror novels." Though this book is a murder mystery, The Face of Fear gives the impression that horror is also a component of the book. The blurb did not sway me in the direction of reading due to the reason I listed above. I generally avoid horror books seeing as I'm not a major fan of this particular genre. The first few pages were interesting in terms of content, but I noticed quite a few grammatical mistakes, indicating that this book may be professionally edited to an extent. For example, the wrong tense was used in this sentence: "He tried to think of other options that could have happen but..." The present tense of "happen" was used instead of the past tense. Other than the errors I spotted in this book, I thought the plot was pretty easy to follow along. I liked the suspense that I found building up as readers anticipated the moment when the daughter would miss a day of calling her dad and the chaos that would ensue. However, I'm not interested in The Face of Fear (and I don't have a comprehensive knowledge of the plot) to the point of buying this book today and finishing it up.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 3:18 am by ladycraic.

cristinaro

I like reading murder mysteries, but not horror novels, so I wouldn't have chosen this book without the first ten program. The cover and title are quite frightening although the Amazon blurb describes the plot of what seems like an exhilarating whodunnit. Besides, there are 91% five-star ratings out of 35 customer reviews. I noticed the use of an extra semicolon in the sample: "Once you came inside, the small cafe; was divided by a wall." and a missing space between two words: "[...] I take inverntory of her belongingsin her pocketbook." The beginning of the novel made me curious to read more and find out who kidnapped Debbie Vance on the ferry and what would happen next. The story flows smoothly even if the writer's style is a bit schematic and unpolished. Since there is no official OBC review for me to have a clearer view on the whole novel and the pace of the story is too slow, I would not be adding the book to my reading list for now.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 3:20 am by cristinaro.

bookowlie

I wouldn't have sampled this book without First Ten since I don't like the horror genre. In addition, the weird skeleton on the cover gave me the creeps. The Amazon summary is poorly edited with noticeable errors. Here are a few examples: 1) the word eerie is spelled wrong; 2) it should be an eerie, not a eerie; and 3) it should be as they work to solve the case (not as the work to solve to the case). Seeing multiple errors in the Amazon blurb make me think the book would not be edited well either. Although there is no OBC review, the Amazon reviews for this book are mostly very positive. Fortunately, I didn't spot any errors in the sample pages. Debbie's character is introduced well in the beginning two pages. After a few pages, there is a very long-winded paragraph where she is punched unconscious and thrown into a car trunk on the ferry. I found this passage hard to follow and had to read it twice for clarity. I am not planning to read the entire book, based on the genre, the poorly edited blurb, and busy writing style in the sample pages.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 10:21 am by bookowlie.

Tiny_Turtle

Without the First 10 program, I would not want to sample this book. I do not like horror or murder mysteries. Reading the first ten pages did not change my mind. Although it is possible that I would have wanted to continue reading passed the sample if I had not been forewarned about the horror aspect by the cover, synopsis and customer reviews.

The narrative flowed smoothly, and I found myself getting pulled into the story. I liked how the author introduced Detectives Powers and Johnson to the storyline at location 144. Debbie and her father had just been seated at table four at Z Pita, where they were to have lunch. "It was ironic because the two men sitting at table three, Detectives Powers and Johnson, were going to be a part of her for the remainder of her life. No matter how long or short it would be, it was these two that would have an important role in her destiny and yet now, this second, they were just two men sitting close to her space while not even giving them a moment's thought." Introducing them in this way was more interesting than just having them inserted at the point they would be investigating whatever crime was yet to be committed.

The book seemed to be professionally edited, although I did notice one missing space between two words at location164: "belongingsin". It should read as 'belongings in'. The lack of an Official OnlineBookClub review did not influence my decision. I will not be reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 10:26 am by Tiny_Turtle.

Vickie Noel

Both the title and the cover don't tickle my fancy. I wouldn't have touched it outside the sample. After reading the sample pages, I liked the story but the tone was a tad too simplistic for my taste. I didn't pick up on decorative expressions or rich vocabulary so I started getting bored, especially as some parts were repetitive. I also don't think it was carefully edited as I noticed a couple of errors like the omission of commas acting as brackets, "The owner Joey Z kept one side for families..." The repetition of the fact that Detective Powers was so close by and an awkward sentence structure, "Once you came inside, the small cafe; was divided by a wall." I'm not sure about what is being communicated here and I think this book needs a second round of editing. There wasn't an OBC review at the time but its absence doesn't affect my decision not to read further. Perhaps, if it had been richer in expressions, I may have been able to tolerate those errors but as it stands, its a lose-lose for me.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 12:05 pm by Vickie Noel.

micoleon13

This is a great cover page which immediately got my attention. Although I'm not a fan of scary books, I was still interested in finding out more. Unfortunately, I couldn't find an OnlineBookClub review to help me with my decision. The pages which I read were well written and edited except for a missing space "belongingsin". I was drawn into the story about Debbie and I liked the way that during lunch it was mentioned that the detectives were right beside her and would play a huge part of her life, yet at that moment neither had any idea. I would like to continue reading this book and I have no ideas for improvement.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 2:35 pm by micoleon13.

Sarah_Khan

I like the title and cover of this book, they immediately attract attention. After reading the amazon blurb, I am pretty sure I would not have picked it up because the plot sounds generic. The first ten pages seem professionally edited. I had a hard time finding something that interested me. Debbie's character seemed average. The only surprising factor was that she was with her father's assistant. Due to the lack of originality, I can't see myself reading the rest of this book. I did not read any OBC review.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 3:15 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Bianka Walter

This is a book that I would have sampled without the first ten program. I love the cover - ghost face gives a good idea of what the book will be about. The sample was gripping. I enjoyed the back stories of Deborah and her father. The story moved quickly, and towards the end of the sample, I felt like there was more telling instead of showing. The editing is not good. I found many errors, one of the most prominent sentences to showcase this is, "He tried to think of other options that could have happen but there was not many..." This sentence is a mess. It's missing a comma, it has a tense change, and was should be were. This is not the only sentence that I came across that had issues. I feel like a thorough proofread could fix these errors, so as far as editing is concerned, I fear there was none. Sadly, as intriguing as this story seems, I would have to skip on the book because of the poor editing. It's a pity because I want to find out what happens with Debbie, but I know that that the errors would keep me from enjoying the story.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 3:35 pm by Bianka Walter.

CataclysmicKnight

When I first saw this book I assumed it was horror: in addition to the title, the cover image looks like a warped version of the villain from the Scream movies. Since I'm not a fan of horror, I certainly would've passed this book up if it wasn't the book of the day.

That's a shame since so far this seems like far more of a mystery than horror novel. I have no doubt there will be suspense, but so far the book has been all about a girl and her relationship with her father who was abducted during a ferry ride by three men. There were links to her father being worried and possibly knowing the two main detectives, so I'm intrigued by why she was the chosen target. However, a great deal of the writing so far has been telling, not showing: the author tells us about all sorts of things but doesn't set many scenes. This may be to power through the setup quickly, but as long as this book is there was plenty of room for more detail.

I did also find a single error - "only explanation was that something happen to her" should use "happened" - and one line that should likely have its punctuation edited - "Once you came inside, the small cafe; was divided by a wall." - but otherwise the writing was smooth. However, between the length of the book and the book not completely drawing me into it yet, I don't see purchasing and finishing it.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 3:44 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

ritah

Based on the cover and title, I would have sampled the book because the title and cover seemed so intense to me. I didn't see an official review for The Face of Fear. I like Debbie's relationship with her father, William Lance. I loved how he insisted that they keep in touch once a day and that he would often leave her notes - I thought that was sweet. I found an error on location 125. She turned the key to shut off the engine and instead of getting out of the car, she took out her hairbrush to fix her hair and take inventory of her belongingsin her pocketbook. I will be reading the rest of the book because the narrative and element of suspense captured my attention and interest.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 5:22 pm by ritah.

JuliaKay

The cover and title for this book gave me the impression that this book would belong more to the horror genre, but according to the reviews and blurb, and is a murder mystery. I also thought the cover and title were not unique, and there would have steered me away from the book. The blurb and reviews were okay, but this did not pick my curiosity. I would not have chosen to sample this book if it were not for this program. The story begins with a woman named Deborah at the back of her home in Long Island. Robert was her father's assistant, but he and Deborah also seemed to be secretly dating. Deborah and her father had gone out for lunch before a concert that Deborah was going to and two detectives that would remain involved in their lives were also eating there. Why Deborah was on a ferry, she was attacked and thrown into her trunk. , and then Special Agent O'Connor got involved with the mystery. To me, the first ten pages weren't very interesting. So far, there has been a kidnapping, but the review I read said something about a murder. If this is a fact, I would have preferred to see in earlier on. Perhaps this was just a typo be the reviewer. There was an instance in which an explanation was given for why Deborah's dad followed Deborah in his own car to the restaurant rather than riding with her, and this was the type of detail I thought is not necessarily relevant or necessary. I feel like readers could fill in this gap pretty easily on their own. I do think the story could get interesting later on, but the first ten pages just didn't capture my attention. I did not notice any technical errors, and it does appear that the book has been professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 7:35 pm by JuliaKay.

Dolor

I would've chosen to read this book even without The First Ten program because I was captured by the cover, the title, the blurb, and the official OBC review. Reading the first ten pages did not disappoint me. The narrations were detailed from the events before and during the abduction of Debbie Lance. I have seen a handful of errors:  *punctuation errors*
 There was nothing like watching the boats on the water and the rest of the activity to give her a level of relaxation that she never tired of. => water,

At 26 years of age she couldn't have asked for a better life other than losing her mother at the age of 13. => age,

From the time Debbie as her friends called her, got her first cell phone, she was required to call her dad at least once a day no matter where he or she was. => Debbie,

Robert moved his hand over to the bottom of the bikini, where Deborah stopped it. => comma after "bikini" is unnecessary.

She made a good decision, because her father came out back a few minutes later to check out the scenery. => comma after "decision" is unnecessary.

She was on her way to meet her best friend Patty and see a concert in Bridgeport. => friend, Patty,

"Just be careful, and don't forget to call your dad tomorrow." => (,) comma after "careful" is unnecessary.

Once you came inside, the small cafe; was divided by a wall. => (;) semicolon is not necessary.

The owner Joey Z kept one side for families and the other side just for adults. = owner, Joey Z,

*grammar error*
 We can't hook up while my dad is home," she replied. => at home

*spacing error*
 belongingsin => belongings in

*run-on sentence*
 His expertise on budgets, program services, and labor relations proved to be what most considered an extremely successful term during his tenure, however it was his relationship with the police department and its force that created the quick response that was given to William Lance.

Proper use of punctuation should have been established. I was curious on how the story progressed after the first ten pages, so I will read on. Who abucted Debbie? Why was Debbie abducted?  The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert is a #MurderMystery novel spiced up with #Action, #Horror, #Murder, and #PoliceProcedural. If a killer will ask you, " Who do you love?" - how would you answer?

#GhostFaceMask #BookOfTheMonth

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 8:49 pm by Dolor.

briellejee

Based on the cover and title, I think I wouldn't have sampled the book since I am not one keen on reading horrors, and the two aspects just scream ghosts and gore. However, after reading the first few pages, I found out it's not pertaining to a supernatural but it is about a kidnapping. The book seems fast-paced based on the events that Deborah was kidnapped a little after the book started, which disappointed me a bit because it did not give room enough to know her character. As for the author's writing style, I find it a little messy. I didn't know that the paragraph is already the perspective of a different person. There are too many little details that are a bit tedious to read. My suggestion is to make them concise and to make the reader aware of who is now taking the limelight. With that said I will not be buying the book, though the plot is interesting. I am not just in tone with the author's writing style. Some few editing errors like the spacing between two words: "...her belongingsin..." was found. The lack of an official OBC review affected my decision in sampling the book since I am already not interested in its cover and title. If there was one, I think I would have known it was a kidnapping case.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 9:04 pm by briellejee.

KRay93

Although the design of the cover is suitable for the theme proposed by the blurb, the typography apart from the word "fear" could have used some extra work. The first ten pages relate the disappearance of a woman, which sets the story in motion, making an additional focus on her father's reaction to the tragedy. Then, the detectives in charge of the case begin to reconstruct the circumstances behind the disappearance of the woman. The prose is fluent although a bit too formal for my taste, although it is appropriate for the genre, while the editing work looks acceptable. Unfortunately, I do not read police procedural horror thrillers, and if there had been an official review, it would have not changed my opinion. I will not continue reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 10:21 pm by KRay93.

Allyseria

The book cover and title do not attract me because I don't particularly like horror stories. The blurb also suggests that this is the second book so I would pass by this book. I couldn't find the review on OnlineBookClub so I couldn't make a more informative decision. When I read the sample, I immediately liked Deborah. She seemed like a relatable and real character. However, there was an extreme lack of dialogue in the sample and was there was a lot of backstory involved. Overall, I will pass by this book due to its genre and it being a sequel. Note: The book had been professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 11:05 pm by Allyseria.

hsimone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this book. The cover, title, and genre lean some on the horror side of reading, and I'm afraid I do not enjoy scary things. The blurb seems to give a good idea of what the book will be about, but it isn't a premise that I feel I would enjoy. I didn't see an OBC review, which would've been nice to read. At the same time, the positive customer ratings do not affect my opinion of the book. Based on what I read, the book could use another round of editing. For instance, in chapter one, the following sentence is missing a comma after the word, "Debbie": "From the time Debbie as her friends called her...". The author seems like he knows his characters well as he describes Deborah's and William's, her father, relationship. William seems protective as he wants Debbie to call him once a day. Also, the action sequence of Debbie gone missing can definitely attract some readers' attention. However, I do not enjoy the writing style. It almost seems like a list that is being checked off as the author describes the characters, which makes it hard to be immersed in the story. Also, I do not enjoy when too obvious hints of what's to come are dropped into the text. One of example of this is in the line, "Little did he or she know, those words would ring true.", which creates less suspense in the storyline. Also, once the police force entered the story, my interest petered as I'm not a fan of police procedurals. Due to the writing style and the genre, I do not plan on finishing this read.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 11:45 pm by hsimone.

Fuzaila

The cover and blurb were intriguing so I wasn't ready to read this book. But the sample hooked me. I love how the storyline is going, with Debbie deceiving her father by hooking up with his assistant. I thought that the dad-daughter relationship might be great but apparently not. I still love Lance and how he raised Debbie, confiscating her phone for a week if she didn't call him once a day. There wasn't anything I disliked but the writing felt a little monotonous. It was error free, which means the book is professionally edited. I would be reading this book because I liked the sample.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 1:09 am by Fuzaila.

Gravy

This is not a genre I regularly read, and the info/cover/etc. did not catch my interest so I would not have sampled this. Sadly, reading the sample did not change my opinion.

I noticed a few errors, a missing "a" for instance. The real issue, however, is the writing itself. It is awkward and difficult to read. The wording, style, and the fact that everything is told instead of shown makes the characters extremely one dimensional and impossible to care about. I also found the little hints at what's to come less intriguing and more irritating, mainly because I just didn't care what happened. The extraneous details (his *diamond white Corvette*), apparently added just to show her father's wealth, were way over the top and became just another reason to dislike the characters (no one likes a show-off).

There was not a review for this book, it having one would not change my opinion. Due to the above stated reasons (my initial lack of interest, the issues with the writing) I will not be reading this book, and I would not recommend it.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 2:00 am by Gravy.

Sicily Joy

I love the spooky cover and title. I would have read this book based on the genre and the description because I love thrillers and horror. However, after sampling this book, I decided I did not want to buy or read it. The book was too slowed paced for me. I didn't like all the exposition. For instance, there was a lot exposition around how much the dad loves his daughter, where they liked to eat and even what cars they drove. I was bored with all the background information. I did like that there was an ominous tone and foreshadowing in the book. For example, Debbie always answered her Dad's phone call therefore when she didn't answer him, he knew someone taken her. I also liked that Debbie is a sympathetic character as it is easier to invest in a character if they are a decent person. Yet, all in all, I wanted more show and less tell in this story. I didn't find any errors and I believe this story was professionally edited. There was no official review for this book but I did not even think a positive review would change my mind about not reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 2:03 am by Sicily Joy.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book without this program. I occasionally read C/T/M/H books, but I did not see an OBC review for this book. I very rarely read books that do not have an OBC review. The cover and title also didn't draw me in, and the Amazon blurb had a typo, which would also have deterred me. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I couldn't get into it. I thought the writing was a bit repetitive. For example, it mentioned that Debbie's father was there in "every way possible" twice in one paragraph. I also didn't like the way the conversation between Debbie and Robert went. It sounded like a casual relationship because of the way they talked, but then it seemed more serious when it talked about Debbie wanting to marry him. I also noticed errors. For example, "it was diamond white Corvette" should be "it was a diamond white Corvette". Because of this, I don't think the book was professionally edited, and I don't like to buy books with errors.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 2:40 am by anneloretrujillo.

MsTri

I knew as soon as I saw this cover and title that I would probably like this book. There was no OBC review, but the Amazon synopsis confirmed my thinking. I absolutely ADORE crime mystery novels, and this one with Ghost Face involving a kidnapping and murder seems right up my alley! While reading the sample, I did notice a few grammatical errors. For instance, on the first page, it's written "At 26 years of age she couldn't have asked for a better life other than losing her mother at the age of 13"; there should be a comma after "age". My only suggestion, therefore, is to have the tome edited again so as to get any minor errors. My favorite part was when Debbie smiled because her father had kept her room the same after she moved out, which led to her thinking about living in the guesthouse and therefore always being "home".

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 3:46 am by MsTri.

a9436

Horror is not my favourite genre, so I was not immediately attracted to this book, but when I read the blurb and realised that it is actually a murder mystery, I became more interested. The opening pages' description of William as an over-controlling father, Debbie as a bright young woman, and police officers as life-long influences, drew me into the story further, and by the end of page ten I was absolutely hooked by its fast pace. Who was responsible, and what were their motives? I could not wait to continue and find out, and so I will be finishing this book. There were a number of missing commas, for example, "From the time Debbie as her friends called her got her own cell phone," but this did not distract me from the plot.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 3:55 am by a9436.

ObsessedBookNerd

Had I not read the sample as part of the program then I would not have read the book based on the title, cover, genre, blurbs or reviews because it doesn't seem interesting to me and I don't enjoy reading horror. I don't like the cover because it doesn't seem professionally designed. The book seems professionally edited and I found no spelling or grammatical errors. The sample did not change my mind on reading the whole book because there is not a lot that I enjoyed about the book. I don't have an interest in a murder mystery, police procedures, or kidnapping. The book starts off with meeting Deborah who lives in Belle Terre, Long Island. I like that Debbie goes to Bridgeport, Connecticut because I know it's an actual place because I live in Connecticut. I don't like violence so I didn't like how the three men followed her onto the ferry and then when she got out they punched her in the face. I like that the FBI got involved right away because of William's connections and I wish that it was like that for everyone because I feel that a lot less kidnapping or other instances would be resolved sooner/save more lives. It was sad that Tim died by the same people who kidnapped Debbie. I like William Lance because he is a good father to Debbie and raising her on his own because her mother died. I like how he makes her call him everyday ever since she first got a phone as a teenager. He also leaves her Post-It notes with serious or humorous things written on them. I did like the writing style and flow of the book because it was easy to understand/follow the story. The set up of the story was good because each day was at the beginning of the chapter. I don't enjoy this type of book so I will pass on reading the whole story.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2018, at 10:17 am by ObsessedBookNerd.

Ferdinand_otieno

I initially regarded this book as one i might like to read based on the title and the intriguing cover. The first ten pages have just cemented that belief for me because i found the plot captivating and the suspense thrilling.
Reading the first ten pages did not change my initial need to buy and read the book and i am eager to follow the protagonist's fate.
I did not encounter any spelling or grammatical errors and i believe this indicates that the book was professionally edited.
The first ten pages convinced me that the book was perfect and does not need any improvements.
I am yet to read the OnlineBookClub.org review of the book, but i sincerely doubt it will change my wanting to read the book.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2018, at 11:02 am by Ferdinand_otieno.

KristyKhem

The cover design, title, and blurb do not appeal to me. Murder mysteries aren’t stories which I enjoy. Therefore, I would not willingly pick this book to read. I read the sample for the First Ten program, but the storyline did not appeal to me. The story was rather predictable, as most mysteries begin with the crime. The beginning of the sample starts in this same way. Debbie, the victim, is taking the ferry to Bridgeport when a man punches her in the face and knocks her out. She is pushed into the trunk of her car and kidnapped. A ransom of three million is demanded for her safe return. The story then jumps to the other characters. I think the author could have expanded more on Debbie’s life and the crime. The crime could also have been more thrilling. I do not like the crude language in the dialogue. One character in particular (Bud) uses a lot of crude language. I did not see any errors in the book. It seems professionally edited. Although the editorial and customer reviews are compelling, I would not buy and read this one.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2018, at 2:43 pm by KristyKhem.

BriennaiJ

I would not have sampled this book based on the cover, because I am not a person who enjoys reading horror fiction. I am not going to buy the book and continue to read it. The first two or three pages of the novel seemed interesting, but then the rest of the pages felt like dumps of information. There was little to no dialogue with very long paragraphs. The paragraphs were detailed, but I just felt like I was "watching" the characters do things rather than being in on the action. I did like that the author was descriptive about the character's surroundings, but the description simply felt smothering. I definitely would have liked this book more if there were more active verbs that passive verbs in the writing.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2018, at 2:49 pm by BriennaiJ.

britt13

This book did not have an official review but the reaction on social media was very positive. I thought that it sounded interesting and was excited to read the first ten. I am torn now after reading. Some of it, such as the description of Long Island "was so close to everything yet still had the privacy of being alone in the country" was great; I found some of the text very stilted though, such as "At 26 years of age she couldn't have asked for a better life other than losing her mother at the age of 13." (Side note, I think a comma is needed after "life" in that sentence but that was the only error I found.) The use of phrases like 26 years of age, instead of just saying she was 26, feels odd to me. It is just strange to me because sometimes the Torbert's voice is in that realm and then sometimes it flows very naturally (to me) so I am not sure how to feel about if I want to read further. I think I found enough in the first ten pages that did not jive with me that I will not be reading further.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2018, at 3:27 pm by britt13.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I am not a fan of horror, and have never read a book belonging to that genre. Hence, the cover, with the image of a skull and the word "fear" in red made me want to avoid the book altogether. Having read the sample, I thought that the author introduced the characters well. I felt like I could connect with Deborah immediately. While I found no major errors with the book, I would have liked chapter titles that were more than just the date. The book seems professionally edited. Since I do not like the genre, I will not be reading this book further.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2018, at 5:59 pm by AA1495.

ccrews0408

Based on the Amazon reviews, had I not read the first 10 pages, I would have read this book. They were mostly favorable and I also enjoy the horror genre. Now that I have read the sample, I don't plan on reading the rest of the book. I did go a bit farther than the first 10 pages hoping the story would pick up but it never did. After the kidnapping, it just kind of drug on. Also the author's writing style has no flow and its hard to read. I noticed one spacing error at 9% where he stated "belongingsin" instead of belongings in. There was not an official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2018, at 11:26 pm by ccrews0408.

va2016

The cover and the title really scares me off from picking the book. There are 35 Amazon customer reviews for the book with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars, which is good. The Amazon summary of the book is interesting, so I would consider the book for sampling even if not for the First Ten program. As I sampled through the book, I found the introduction to the character Debbie pretty interesting, while the first chapter ends with the suspense of Debbie going missing. As the police officers start to investigate, I became very curious to what happened to Debbie, and whether she will be found. So, I am going to read the book in full and find out. I found the book to be professionally edited. I didn't find any grammatical or mechanical errors. What I liked most about the book is the casual style storytelling. I could not find anything that could be improved with the book. Although I didn't find any OBC review on the book, my decision to read the book in full is based on my own sampling.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2018, at 3:40 am by va2016.

mtsnel006

The cover of the book makes the book look horrific. Because I am not a fan of horror, I would not have chosen to read the book. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be full of suspense, and to be an enjoyable read. Deborah lives with his affluent dad, William. When Deborah's mom passed away when she was 13 years ago, William became both a father and a mother to Deborah. As time went by, Deborah got missing, and his father was devastated. I liked the role filled by William after his wife passed away. Taking care of a teenager requires a lot, but he managed and did what he thought was best for his daughter. From the book, I have learned that although one is rich, friends and family are important and come first over riches. The grammatical error I came through was in location 65. It goes, "From the time Debbie as her friends called her, another first cellphone, she was required to call her dad at least once a day no matter where he or she was." There is a missing comma after 'Debbie". The book needs further editing. I am going to read the whole book because I want to see if Debbie gets found. Thank you.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2018, at 4:47 pm by mtsnel006.

Kendra M Parker

I don’t care for horror at all. As I read the first ten pages, I noticed that there were a lot of details that helped set the stage for what was going to happen. It was impressive how Torbert set the tension between Debbie and her father’s assistant. Knowing that she met with her father for lunch and then got on a ferry also helps with building the tension for the plot. On page 8, I did notice that there was an error where the words belongings and in get squished together into “belongingsin”. While the plot seemed engaging, I did not find it interesting enough to want to read the rest of it. I’ll pass on this one.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2018, at 6:33 pm by Kendra M Parker.

OloladeO

Based on the cover and title, I would not have read the book's sample because I am not a fan of horror books. From the sample, at 26 years of age, Deborah couldn't have asked for a better life other than losing her mother at the age of 13. William Lance, her father, was a dad in the true sense of the word as he involved himself in his daughter's life. When he got her her first phone, he told her she must call him everyday so he'll know something was wrong if he didn't hear from her. After lunch with her father, she planned to take a ferry to meet with her best friend, Patty, and see a concert in Bridgeport. Unfortunately, she was abducted on the ferry by 3 men. The book doesn't seem well edited. The following sentence needs restructuring; "No matter how long or short it would be, it was these two that would have an important role in her destiny and yet now, this second, they were just two men sitting close to her space while not even giving them a moment's thought." After reading the sample, I maintain my stance about not reading the book and the errors noted by reviewers seals my not reading it.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2018, at 4:55 am by OloladeO.

Total ~ 26%

The Face of Fear earned a score of 26%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 26% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for The Face of Fear