Cover for Burn Zones

The First Ten Feedback for Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands

Because Burn Zones was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book as I don't read self-improvement/autobiographies books. The cover is nice and the blurb concise and to the point. I liked the author explanation of Burn Zones. The picture of him as a seven years old was very cute I have to say. The sample was well written, and the official review was very positive, but I just don't read these types of books. I won't read the book as inspirational stories aren't really my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on February 4, 2017, at 12:42 pm by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I found the title interesting. I thought the blurb did an amazing job of making me want to find out more.
After reading the first ten pages, I was hooked. This novel is well-written and professionally edited. Although I do not usually read non-fiction, this story is extremely interesting. I also really liked the explanation of what a burn zone is. I'm excited to read the rest of this book someday, when I have the time.

First Ten review added on February 4, 2017, at 1:11 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Vermont Reviews

Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery today's book of the day shows the drive of the young entrepreneur as he learns how to build his empire. I found his book simular to my own story. At this time I have too many books in my reading schedule. I will not be downloading this book. I would have bought the book based on the preview.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on February 4, 2017, at 2:24 pm by Vermont Reviews.

mratdegraff91

The blurbs and descriptions I read about this book are all exquisite. The OnlineBookClub Reviewer gave it a 4 of 4 stars. The cover is fitting in that it represents the main characters beginnings and his view of life, which I garnered from sampling the book. If I had not tested the book, I would not have been interested in purchasing the book. It simply is not my favorite type of genre, but I am curious to finish it out. The sample did not have any obvious errors, and upon referencing the review, the reviewer also did not find any in completing the book. I have added this novel to my to-read list, and I will be eventually finishing it.

First Ten review added on February 4, 2017, at 6:35 pm by mratdegraff91.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

bookowlie

I really like the cover artwork, font, and soft colors. However, at first glance, the picture and main title make me think the book would be about exercising or travel. The summary is well written and gave me a good flavor of the subject matter. The beginning pages are written in a straightforward style, although there is a busy feel and too quick of a pace for my taste. I didn't notice any technical errors, but I found my head spinning from the busy feel of the sample. Although the Official Review is glowing, I don't think the overall topic of the book is my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on February 4, 2017, at 6:49 pm by bookowlie.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would read this because I typically don't read non fiction or autobiographies. After reading the first ten pages, I definitely think this is good writing. I feel like this would appeal to fans of autobiographies and nonfiction but I don't think I am the target audience for this.

First Ten review added on February 4, 2017, at 7:19 pm by CrescentMoon.

Kdonegan91

I am completely shocked by this book! At first glance, I assumed that it was going to be about sports, specifically biking. However, after reading the sample, I realized this book is all about determination, goals, hard work, and overcoming life's obstacles. I enjoy the author's style of writing and his determined spirit. After reading the OBC review, I was informed that the book gets better as it progresses. I can't wait to see what is next for Jorge! I will definitely be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on February 4, 2017, at 9:06 pm by Kdonegan91.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. I like the cover, but the story seemed mediocre. After reading the sample, I have changed my mind. The writing was very interesting, and I loved how the photographs complemented the writing. I especially liked the list of strengths and flaws. It was professionally edited and I did not read an official review.

First Ten review added on February 4, 2017, at 10:12 pm by psychopathycathy.

L_Therese

I wasn't sure if I'd really be interested in this book. From the cover and title, it seemed like it'd be all sports-inspirational. Once I read the review and then the first ten pages, I had learned a little bit more about it. If I had oodles of time, I might decide to chance finishing the book because it seems well-written, and it's possible that I'd enjoy it a lot. However, time is too precious, and I have to be particular. I'm going to pass.

First Ten review added on February 5, 2017, at 3:15 am by L_Therese.

Momlovesbooks

This book received good reviews. It was book of the month previously, and I purchased it then. I read the first few pages and was drawn into the story. It appeared to be well-edited and was descriptive. I'll be reading this one.

First Ten review added on February 5, 2017, at 6:52 am by Momlovesbooks.

James Craft

The cover and title of this are quite compelling, and I love the fact that the book is based on a play on words (it almost sounds like a fiction novel). The opening caught my attention and looked to be well-formatted throughout. I liked the personable way in which the author addresses the reader and I am sure many people would enjoy this one quite a bit. I won't be continuing but I think it is an excellent work.

First Ten review added on February 5, 2017, at 9:51 am by James Craft.

jamesabr

My sampling of this book was incredibly inspirational! Jorge takes the metaphor of the burn zone in cycling and invites me to take an interesting look into how he developed his businessman mindset ever since he was seven years old. I found the style very easy to read, and my favorite portion of the book occurred when he negotiated a price for the ice cream trike from his neighbor, Chris. This was humorous, because usually whenever I asked for such things from teenagers and adults, I was ridiculed. Most of the people who Jorge seemed to ask for a chance from actually took him seriously! This aspect piques my interest, and I will definitely buy and read the book. The OnlineBookClub review strengthened my interest in this book by informing me of some of the business routes that Jorge takes. I can't wait to read it! There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on February 5, 2017, at 10:06 am by jamesabr.

hsimone

I have actually already read this book. However, if it wasn't for OnlineBookClub, then I probably would not have given it a chance. The cover and title is appealing. And though the blurb sounds interesting enough, the fact that Amazon considers this an Entrepreneurship/Finance book, then I would have steered clear.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I really liked the author's comparison to burn zones in bicycling to real-life situations. However, the real estate sections, from what I remember, was a bit over my head. Overall, since I own this book and have read it, I do not plan on re-purchasing it.

First Ten review added on February 5, 2017, at 11:56 am by hsimone.

Cjgarland89

At first glance I figured I would not enjoy this book, I don't like inspirational stories much and although the author took nothing and made it something it's not something I enjoy reading. I didn't see any errors in the first ten, and it is professionally edited. The OBC review was informative but didn't contribute to my non decision to read.

First Ten review added on February 5, 2017, at 1:29 pm by Cjgarland89.

chocomeiske

If not for this program I would not have taken a second look at this book. The description sounds inspiring about overcoming adversity and challenges. The sample was interesting. I like the Burn Zone concept and how it can be applied to life as a whole, pushing through the hard moments to come out on top.I thought it was well-edited.

First Ten review added on February 5, 2017, at 1:43 pm by chocomeiske.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read romance or Sci-Fi books. Having read the sample, I liked how the author uses his own experiences to inspire others. However, I found the pace of the sample fast. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. I want to read more about the author's experiences, and hence I think I will read the book further.

First Ten review added on February 5, 2017, at 11:39 pm by AA1495.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book based on the genre. I don't really like non-fiction books. The OBC had me a little bit more interested, but not a lot. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be finishing this book. I liked the burn zone metaphor, and I liked that the author started with a list of strengths and weaknesses. It also seemed to be professionally edited. However, it's not my type of book. It would be great for someone who enjoys non-fiction, inspirational book, but not for me.

First Ten review added on February 6, 2017, at 12:26 am by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

I don't think I would be reading this book because I am not into bicycling or any sports, but I think this would be inspiring to those who like sports. I am not going to be reading this book because the story doesn't seem to catch my attention. It does seem professionally edited. I liked how the author is including images. That gives the reader a visual. I did not see any review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 6, 2017, at 12:52 am by jungkookblog.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled this book as part of this program, I probably would have been interested in reading/sampling it. I sometimes enjoy reading these kinds of inspirational success stories and the author's life certainly sounded extraordinary.

Unfortunately, I will not buy and read the whole book. The price is way above my eBook spending limit, which is unfortunate because I think I would have enjoyed this book, and could have learned from it. If the price is ever lowered to under my spending limit,(I'm adding it to my Amazon wishlist), I would definitely pick it up then.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

I really enjoyed the first ten pages. I was amazed at the lifestyle the author describes in the introduction. Being rich, but living simply, even frugally. Impressive. I also really enjoyed reading about him as a boy. What a wonderful child he must have been to raise. So ambitious, yet kind. This really seems to be a wonderful book.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on February 6, 2017, at 2:17 am by truebookaddict.

Gravy

As an autobiography this is right up my alley, so I likely would have looked at this. However, the subject probably wouldn't have kept my interest. After reading the sample, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself much more interested than I would have thought. There was a minor error. A sentence that looked like it had been changed, but had only been changed halfway. If I had fewer books in this genre already on my list, I would likely add this one to it. However, for the near future, I must answer no, that I won't be continuing with this.

First Ten review added on February 6, 2017, at 2:32 am by Gravy.

klbradley

The first ten pages of this story actually had me more interested than I initially thought I would be. Just going by the synopsis, this didn't really seem like a book I would choose. However, the insight that is offered in the first ten pages gave a clear vision of what is trying to be established. I really liked that his personally flaws were listed, although I didn't really consider them all flaws, especially the optimistic characteristic. I am interested, and look forward to the rest of the story.

First Ten review added on February 6, 2017, at 7:59 am by klbradley.

Izesicle

Had I not actually sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read or sample this book based on the cover.
I am going to buy and read the whole book because the sample was written well and I wanted to read more.
Based on what I read, the book seems like it was professionally edited. I didn't notice typo or grammar errors.
What I like the most in the bit I read was the inclusion of pictures.
What could be improved is nothing.
The book has an Official OnlineBookClub review that I saw.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 8:36 am by Izesicle.

Yolimari

I think the title of the book is on point as life literally has burn zones, which the author mentions in the sample pages. The OBC review sparked my interest in this book because it was very positive and enthusiastic. After I read the sample pages, I decided I will read it for a variety of reasons. My husband and I are into real estate. I liked the author’s uplifting writing style. I liked his childhood stories of working as a newspaper delivery boy and then buying an ice cream trike. Finally, I like self-made stories of people with grit and who know how to save and make money.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 9:15 am by Yolimari.

Kat Kennedy

I’ll admit that the cover and title didn’t sell me on the book, but the review did! After reading the first ten pages, I’m looking forward to reading the book even more than before. The author has a way of getting the reader’s attention. I love the narrative, and found it very interesting. Plus, I’m a Clash fan, so I appreciate that! I found no editorial problems in the first ten pages. I’ll be finishing this one!

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 9:33 am by Kat Kennedy.

Christina O Phillips

The title is interesting to me, but the cover was not. The summary sounded interesting. I might have read the sample without this program. I like that the book immediately explained what burn zones are. The tone and vocabulary used in the book make it accessible. I will not read this myself as it did not completely capture my interest, but I may use it in class in the future.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 9:54 am by Christina O Phillips.

MsTri

Even though I like the title of this book, neither the cover nor the synopsis would have encouraged me to read any further, as I'm not into either autobiographies or "underdog" stories. Having read the review and sample (which was nice enough), I'm still not induced into reading the whole thing, simply because the book is of a genre I'm not into ... I DID, however, like the casual voice of the sample; it seems like despite having reached certain heights, the writer never got "uppity", so even while writing his story, he has remained grounded. I also like his willingness to help others, as it's so easy to be selfish. Finally, I was impressed with how professionally it was written, including no grammatical or spelling errors that I could find ... Even though I will not continue this story, I hope it encourages others who read it.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 12:15 pm by MsTri.

ZenaLei7

After reading the sample, I decided not to finish reading the book. The book started off with an intriguing beginning, but after reading a couple more pages, I started to lose interest. I also read the official OBC review, but it didn't convince me to buy the book. While reading the sample, I didn't notice any major grammatical errors either. The book cover and title look interesting and if I just looked at the cover and title, I would have probably still sampled the book to see what it was about.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 12:39 pm by ZenaLei7.

micoleon13

This is a professional looking cover, which let's the reader know that it's a non fiction book. I'm not a huge fan of non fiction, so I wasn't too drawn towards it. The Onlinebookclub review was very complementary and outlined the story well. It didn't really change my mind about reading the book though. The pages which I read were well written and edited. I liked the writing style, as it's very easy to read and doesn't get too caught up in the details. Although I enjoyed the sample more than I expected, the non fiction aspect still holds me back from reading further. I have no ideas for improvement

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 12:57 pm by micoleon13.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book I probably would not have picked it up. I've read a couple books like this (memoir of a highly successful businessman) lately and am not searching for another one. After reading the sample, I didn't change my mind. Although it really does seem interesting, well written and edited, and thought-provoking, I really don't think I would enjoy it at this point in time. I did, however, enjoy the careful addition of pictures/references within the beginning pages. I will not be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 1:32 pm by Scerakor.

Ashley Simon

Had it been sitting on a shelf, I think I would have picked up this book and paged through it just to find out what the term "Burn Zones" meant. I'm also a fan of autobiography so that element appealed to me. I did read the OBC review first; it made the book even more compelling by describing Jorgie's life story and praising the readability of this text. I went into the book expecting to like it and I was not disappointed. The book begins with a clear motif ("burn zones" as they exist in both cycling and our lives). He then goes into his own life story: the narrator is a likable, scrappy kid. I plan on finishing this book. I didn't notice any significant grammatical errors. If I hadn't sampled this book - or more importantly, read the OBC review - I'm not sure I would have read it. The title left me curious but the cover art is a little bland. However, reading the first 10 pages definitely made me want to finish the book.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 1:47 pm by Ashley Simon.

Shelle

The cover of this book makes it appear to be about bicycle racing and I am interested in that, so I was interested in sampling this book. The book however, isn't really about bicycle racing, but actually how the author overcame great adversity to be successful. That's a fine enough thesis for a book, but I was disappointed that it wasn't about bicycle racing. I liked the stories of Jorge's childhood that were a part of the sample. Jorge seems like a hard-working and amiable man and the 4/4 rating on OBC makes me believe this to be a well-written book, but I probably won't purchase it. I am simply just not interested in this subject matter at this time. The book appears to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 2:41 pm by Shelle.

ritah

Based on the cover and title I wouldn't have read the book because it didn't appeal to me at first glance, even though the cover is nice it isn't what I normally go for. But after reading the official review I understood the title. And after reading the sample of the book I quickly realized that the content could be of value to me. I also really need some inspiration and this seems like the book that will do that. And that is why I will be reading the rest of the book. I also did not see any errors while reading leading me to believe the book is professionally edited.I also liked the pictures included as it enhanced and put into picture the author's journey.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 3:53 pm by ritah.

Snowflake

The title and cover are very professional. The Amazon blurb was very good - if almost identical to the introduction. It added to my interest in the book. I enjoyed the sample and did not notice any obvious typos or grammar errors. I agree with the OBC review that this book is surprisingly engaging and told in a very relatable and relaxed manner. The author is very clear-sighted about his life and his story is told with enthusiasm but is also very down to earth. The sample was so good that I was very disappointed when it ended. I plan to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 3:53 pm by Snowflake.

BunnySTx

After reading a sample of, Slow Burn by Jorge P. Newbery, I have decided that I will not be purchasing this book. My first impression when I saw the cover of this book was that it was about bike racing. After I read the blurb, I saw this was more of a motivational biography. I rarely read non-fiction and felt this book would not be a good fit for me. As I read a sample, I found myself surprised by some of the things the author has been through. If I had not read the first few pages, I would not have picked up this book.The reason why I say this is because neither the cover, title nor blurb caught my attention. Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review. The reviewer highlighted a few good points, but it did not change my mind.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 5:34 pm by BunnySTx.

ladycraic

Before reading the sample provided on Amazon, I would've probably chosen to read/sample "Burn Zones". I have not read an autobiography in a while and I remember how touching they are to me. Also, the customer reviews are constantly praising this book! I would like to buy the book - the sample drew me in and I was sad to see it end. The tone, the writing, the passion...these things appeal to me. For the most part, the review seems professionally edited. I saw one error: ("Tell Charlene and Anne I said hi" said Chris). There's a missing comma.

What I liked most was the foreshadowing - it kept me wondering. From what I can see, the book doesn't need improvement. I caught one typo, but that's about it. I enjoyed the brief sample. I saw the official OBC review which validated my views about the book - it's a good read! I don't know if I'll buy the book today, but sometime into the future...I don't have spending money as of now. If I could, I would.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 9:49 pm by ladycraic.

va2016

The title conveys the story's concept pretty succinctly. The cover
is good. The title as well as the cover are inviting enough to
sample the book. But I am not an athlete, so I would have been
hesitant to pick the book.

I am not going to read the book in full, as this is not my genre.

The book has been professional edited. There are no mechanical
errors as far as I can see.

I liked the concept of 'Burn zones' and how to transcend them.
I didn't particularly find anything that I dislike about the book.

The book did have an onlinebookclub.org review, but that would not
affect my decision to skip the book.

I am not reading this book in full.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 10:31 pm by va2016.

Afuglsan

The cover and title look and sound like this story is going to about some biker athlete. This genre this type of genre doesn't appeal to me. The reviews, however, changed my mind, especially the OBC. They made Jorge's story sound unique and enticing. Indeed, after reading the first ten pages, I can see what they raved about. The writing is fantastic. I keep flipping through the pages to see what young Jorge is going to do next. His drive is amazing. The story is also set up uniquely. I haven't seen any editorial errors. I'd like to keep reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 11:57 pm by Afuglsan.

Quinto

I have been introduced to today's book through reading OBC's official review. The book's cover and title give it an appearance of a memoir. However, it's in the actual reading that you get the impression it's not a typical biographical account. What makes the author's life extraordinarily special is the age at which he got his first paid job. And his phenomenal growth from there through seeking and excelling in successive jobs. Consequently, it's a book I would like to share with my younger siblings and children as it inculcates the value of hard work, so I will buy it to read and share with them. The book seems to be professionally edited as I didn't come across any typos or grammar errors. Lastly, I like and appreciate the philosophy and work ethics of the writer. I like his presence of mind and driving force that motivated him to seek for paid employment at an age when his peers are only bent on mischief and playing truant.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2017, at 3:02 am by Quinto.

ButterscotchCherrie

I wouldn't have sampled this on the basis of the cover or the briefest of descriptions as I thought at first that it would be a book about fitness. It became apparent from the first ten pages that "burn zones" is a metaphor for the tough times. I will buy and read this because I'm enduring a rough ride right now and could use some inspiration to help me get through it. I noticed no errors; this looks well edited. I loved the author's lists of his flaws and strengths (they are the same!). This isn't a criticism as such but I note that Jorge's supportive parents were instrumental to his early efforts. A child of parents more inclined to be over-protective might have seen their entrepreneurial activities nipped in the bud. The OnlineBookClub review confirmed that the inspiring tone at the start of the book is sustained throughout.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2017, at 5:11 am by ButterscotchCherrie.

ZeroChill

I would not have bothered to read the book because of many reasons. The cover is dull, the title is unattractive and the book doesn't belong to any of my favourite genres. When I read the first few pages I liked the start of the book. The writer gave a short summary about his whole life, his ups and downs and his struggles. There were no mistakes in the first few pages. The official review was well written. I would still not be reading this biography but I will recommend it to people I know.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2017, at 6:43 am by ZeroChill.

IsabelMay

There are some books I can hardly find anything positive to say about, but this book is not one of them. In fact, I couldn't find something I didn't like. All elements (cover, summary, sample) are engaging and intriguing. I can see that many reviewers share the same opinion. Judging by the sample, it's a well-edited and well-formatted story that many will find inspiring, especially those who are facing similar problems in life. The only reason I won't be buying the book is because I prefer light-hearted reads and fiction, but I will recommend it to anyone who would be interested in such a book.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2017, at 12:01 pm by IsabelMay.

MarisaRose

I don't mind reading motivational stories every now and then, so 'Burn Zones' is a book I would consider reading. But I always prefer to sample an author's writing style first. My first thought after reading the first ten pages of this book was that it was really well written. I enjoyed the author's style and use of vocabulary. However, there were some aspects of the sample I didn't like. I found some of the narrative to be a bit boring, for example, the author's list of personal 'strengths' and 'weaknesses.' I thought this would have been better to read about in paragraph/story form. Since I had some reservations about the book, I don't plan to purchase it at this time. I did not notice any grammatical errors in the fist ten pages.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2017, at 4:24 pm by MarisaRose.

jwalker73

I did not think I would like this book based on the cover, title and genre. I assumed it was about cycling at first glance. The review made me realise the connection between the title and the story, the burn zone being the challenging aspects of life. I still probably would not have chosen to read it. The first ten pages were delightfully written. I enjoyed this young boy's get-up-and-go and determination to achieve what he sets his mind to. It appears professionally edited. I am not going to buy the book today as I have others that I wish to read as a higher priority, but will keep it in mind for future reading.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2017, at 5:24 pm by jwalker73.

Mercy Bolo

The cover of this book is quite inviting. By looking at it, I thought that this was a book about excelling in sports until I read the blurb and the official review, which inspired me to read the sample. The story is well written and I didn't encounter any major errors besides a chapter heading that has to much spacing. The title itself was an unfamiliar term for me and based on that alone, I would have picked this book up based on curiosity. Had I not sampled the first ten pages, I would have considered reading it, but after doing so, I feel that this is not a book for me. Therefore, I will not read the whole book.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2017, at 6:49 pm by Mercy Bolo.

Mallory Whitaker

I think I would have sampled this book outside of this program, even if I didn't have access to the Official Review here that really made me believe this was a book for me. The line that captivated me most in it: good for fans of "Disney-type inspirational sports movie. Miracle is one of my favorite movies of all time, so yeah, sold. Upon reading the first ten pages, this seems professionally edited. I noted one typo: "Mr. Snodgrass' brow crinkled." There should be an additional 's' after the apostrophe because when I say it outloud I say the extra 's' (that's what I've always heard is the rule at least). I could potentially be saying the name incorrectly though. I think the author does a great job of providing enough detail without going overboard. I thought the bit about living the Spartan lifestyle came off as a little pretentious and worried this would be one of those books that tells you to throw away everything, but obviously, that's not the case and I was delighted. I will be buying this book when I finsih all of the other books I promised myself I would read before I allow myself to buy any more books. This seems like a great inspiration story that doesn't beg for pity but shows the human capacity to rise again.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2017, at 9:36 pm by Mallory Whitaker.

Vickie Noel

I can imagine the pride filling the hearts of this author's parents, watching him exhibit amazing attributes while growing up. It is true that I enjoy memoirs/autobiographies, but I rarely willingly opt to read them. This particular one is the type that I would completely judge by the title and book cover, merely raise an eyebrow, and walk away. Therefore, I'm doubly grateful for the program as it has prevented me from losing out on such a perfect recount of the author's life. The introduction to the sample tried my patience just the teeniest bit, but I did need to understand what 'burn zones' actually meant to the author, after which the tale started to go off the roof. The conversational, easy flowing tone of writing felt more like listening rather than reading. The inspirational aspect was mind-blowing! The black and white photos to support each pivotal stage of his life, especially when he was a cute seven-year old, simply melted my heart. Of course, it was professionally edited, not a single flaw did I see. Nothing to be improved upon. I'm a little curious though, why the author's name was spelled as 'George' on the picture on the ice cream truck as against other references to him as 'Jorge'. The OBC review on it was most optimistic but I was only mildly stimulated, mainly because of the author's age starting out in the business world. Now, the sample's made me a believer.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2017, at 10:57 pm by Vickie Noel.

ananya92

This is a book in the non-fiction genre, an autobiographical account of how the protagonist fares through the highs and lows of his life. From the description, it seems that it a story of rags to riches and then again a journey from rags to riches. The review was pretty detailed and encouraging, however the actual book did not engage my interest. From the sample, l could see that this is not my kind of book even though the book is well-written, because it's slightly dull for me. The book seems to be edited properly. However, I would skip this one for now.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2017, at 1:15 am by ananya92.

cpru68

Because I am a non-fiction reader of inspirational and motivational books, I may have read the sample of this on my own initiative, however, with so many books of this nature out there for the taking, it was nice to have it presented to me through the online book club. The writing is superior, and I found no errors as the pages zipped right along at a very nice pace. The title and the cover clearly convey the message of this biography. The tenacity of seven year old Jorge obtaining not one, but two, paper routes seems to be the tip of the iceberg to the core of what makes him tick. I actually laughed out loud during the negotiations over the ice cream tryke. I found no flaws in any of it and have no suggestions to make. The glowing review by the online book reviewer only added more insight to this inspiring book. While this is my usual genre, I cannot take on another book at the moment. So for now, I have to pass.

First Ten review added on June 22, 2018, at 9:00 am by cpru68.

lavellan

I probably would have read the sample of Burn Zones even if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. The Book of the Day review was very positive and left me curious about the book. The book seemed like it was professionally edited and I did not notice any errors while reading. I enjoyed the story detailing the author's newspaper route. I thought that the author came off as a little conceited at times. As a result, I will not be buying the book.

First Ten review added on June 22, 2018, at 9:06 am by lavellan.

desantismt_17

I wondered about the meaning of this book’s title. The description informed me this was an inspirational memoir/autobiography, which isn’t my type of book. Before sampling, I wasn’t interested in reading. After sampling, I’ll pass. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed no errors. The comparison of life’s rough patches to burn zones in sports was one I haven’t seen before. It’s quite a unique way to approach this topic. The author’s voice is perfect for this kind of story. It’s open an honest, and while reading, I couldn’t help but feel like I was learning without feeling lectured to. I have no improvements to suggest at this time. The OnlineBookClub.org review says wonderful things about this book. I’m just not interested in reading.

First Ten review added on June 22, 2018, at 9:53 am by desantismt_17.

Kendra M Parker

The cover looks like it will be more about bicycling, and I guess the paper route in the beginning and then the ice cream bike are both related. Still, I don’t read a whole lot of biographies, so this is not the sort of book I would look for. I was really impressed with the first ten pages when I read them. They were cleanly edited and formatted well. I appreciated his connection of life's hard seasons to the burn zones in sports or bicycling and how those can knock out other people. This seems like a great book, but I’m not sure that I really want to buy this one. I appreciate that it is only $0.99, but I’m not sure I want to spend the money on a book that is not the sort I usually get excited about. If this were a Kindle Ultimate book, I might read a bit further in it, but I will pass for now. I know that the official review was really flattering and the reviewer loved the book, which makes me consider this a bit more, but it hasn’t won me over to actually pulling out my hard-earned cash.

First Ten review added on June 22, 2018, at 11:16 am by Kendra M Parker.

DancingLady

I rarely have any interest in biographies, so this isn’t really my type of book. The review made me think other cyclists would be the kind of people who would like it, as well as entrepreneurs. The first 10 pages were well written, had great flow and no errors. It’s interesting to see how cycling plays a big role in Jorge’s life from early childhood and his first paper route. I’m not really interested in this book so I’m not going to buy it.

First Ten review added on June 22, 2018, at 11:42 am by DancingLady.

ccrews0408

Based on the genre, had I not read the first 10 pages, I would not have read this book. His story sounds inspiring and I think his accomplishments are commendable. However, I prefer to stick with fiction novels. Now that I have read the first 10 pages, I still don't plan on reading this book. I think the beginning was well-written and I liked how he considered his weaknesses to also be strengths. I can see from a young age, he was determined and went after anything he wanted. I didn't notice any typos or grammatical errors and there was an official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on June 22, 2018, at 12:10 pm by ccrews0408.

daniya__shah3

I loved how the concept of 'burn zones' is not limited to the title but runs throughout. The comparison of life's obstacles with burn zones is really intriguing. It's inspiring to see how the narrator has always been hard-working, and managed to acquire his first business from an ice-cream trike by the mere age of eleven. Another interesting thing about the book was the quirky chapter titles and pictures of every step of his journey. Not many autobiographical accounts manage to capture my attention.The editing was another plus point. I must agree this book is going to be an amazing read. However, since I have a lot on my platter right now, I might return to this one sometime in the future. Therefore, I am going to pass the opportunity of reading this one right now.

First Ten review added on June 22, 2018, at 12:52 pm by daniya__shah3.

bb587

The cover didn't interest me at all. The synopsis was ok, but the review got me very interested. After reading some, I can see why the reviewer liked the book so much. Jorge is incredibly relatable, and I really enjoyed reading about his childhood antics. I could have done without the bread roll fight though. I found a small typo, but otherwise it seemed well edited. While it was good, it wasn't quite good enough to win a spot on my to-read list. There are just too many books that I'm more interested in.

First Ten review added on June 22, 2018, at 1:23 pm by bb587.

cristinaro

Since I am not a reader of motivational books, I would not have read Jorge Newbery's book without the first ten program. The title and cover did not exactly prepare me for the description in the Amazon blurb. If it had not been for the subtitle, I would not have guessed I was looking at a motivational book. There are many editorial reviews praising the book for the interesting combination between the autobiographical elements and the inspirational ones. What is more, 96% of 70 customer reviews give the book a 4 or 5 star rating. The introduction explains the title by making the connection with the "burn zones" in cycling, those short periods of extraordinary effort separating the winners and losers. I agree with the author that everybody's life is full of burn zones which test the limits of our bodies and minds. The story takes a confessional tone following Jorge's life story from the age of 7 when he began delivering newspapers and earning his first money. Written as a memoir, the book flows smoothly and uses narration, description and dialogue. I could not identify any editing problems in the sample. The OBC review recommends the book for its inspirational stories based on Jorge's extraordinary life. I will not read this book, but I am sure fans of motivational books will learn from Jorge's struggle with his "burn zones".

First Ten review added on June 22, 2018, at 3:10 pm by cristinaro.

kfwilson6

To begin with my initial impression of this book from the synopsis was that it would be incredibly boring to me. In general I don't enjoy autobiographies, and the OBC reviewer's mention of the boring discussion about real estate and mortgages made me think this would be a drag. The main reason I decided I wouldn't enjoy this book is because of Newbery's business venture after his major struggles. According to one Amazon reviewer Jorge helps people out of financial difficulties which can include not paying creditors or not paying everything that is owed. I do not agree with this from an ethical standpoint, so that made me not want to read this book.

I have to admit the sample was more interesting than I expected. I enjoyed reading about Newbery's childhood business ventures. He sounds like he was very hardworking, which I admire. I don't think this book would continue to hold my interest though based on the summaries of it. I am going to pass on this book despite my curiosity being sparked by the sample. I think the latter portions will be dull and I don't agree with some of Newbery's methods for helping people out of a financial crisis. I only noticed one mistake in the sample, which was a misplaced word.

First Ten review added on June 22, 2018, at 4:08 pm by kfwilson6.

britt13

I thought that the official review did a good job explaining the book and seemed to praise it. Parts seemed interesting to me so I was excited to at least read the first ten pages. I thoroughly enjoyed them. I found no errors which was nice. The dialogue is endearing and flows nicely into exposition. I absolutely loved the quote "money you save is worth more than the money you earn". So insightful! I am genuinely interested about Newbery's life now. I wish that I had been quick enough to get a free copy because I have no money to spend on books right now. For that reason, I will not be buying today. That being said it is being added to a list for later on!

First Ten review added on June 22, 2018, at 10:05 pm by britt13.

CinWin

I would not have picked "Burn Zones" by Jorge P Newbery by its cover. However, when I read the sample I got hooked. The cover looked like it was a book about bicycle racing, which it isn't. The part I liked best was the inspiration it made me feel. If a child could accomplish that much before he could even drive, why can't I? It flows from one chapter in his life to another very easily and I cannot think of anything to improve upon. It must have been professionally edited; I found no errors. There was a wonderful onlinebookclub review and I plan on reading the rest of the book!

First Ten review added on June 22, 2018, at 10:27 pm by CinWin.

Jgideon

The title of the book makes it look like a book about sports. However, the first ten pages and the official OBC review made me understand that it is an inspirational autobiography. What I liked most is the inclusion of photographs e.g. the author's photograph as a child and the sleek ice cream trike. However, the first photo lacks a caption. He could add some details to it e.g. the year it was taken. His conversations with his mother, the newspaper vendor, and Chris sound very realistic. The book is professionally edited. Unfortunately, I will not read the rest of the book. I am taking a break from reading inspirational books because I have read so many of them in the recent past.

First Ten review added on June 23, 2018, at 12:37 am by Jgideon.

Kat Berg

I remember when this came up as a Book of the Day a while ago. I am not a fan of the cover or the title, and would not have been drawn to read it, but the OBC review created enough curiosity that I was excited to read the first ten pages. I am not usually a fan of memoirs, but I find Jorge's story fascinating. It is not written in a complex way, rather it is very simple and accessible for any level reader, and for this story that is a strength. Jorge's personality shines through the book. I don't know many young people who would have as much get up and go as he did to start his own ice cream business (11 yo saving $240!?) I have purchased the book and do plan on finishing it in due time. The book seems professionally edited, and I noticed no mistakes.

First Ten review added on June 23, 2018, at 12:45 am by Kat Berg.

Tiny_Turtle

Based purely on the cover and title, I have no interest in this book. First impression is that it is about a man's life journey as he trains for a long distance bike race. Not something I'm interested in. Artistically, it is well done.

The Amazon reviews and the OnlineBookClub review had high praises for the book, yet they still did not sway me. Altho, I did like that the OnlineBookClub review stressed how the author's writing style made it easy for the reader to envision themself in his place.

After reading the First 10 pages, I realized that my original impression on what the book was about was incorrect. Yet, I'm still not interested in purchasing or reading the rest of the book. It's hard to say exactly why not, except that it did not "grab" me. There was nothing about it that made me feel like I just had to know more.

I can see how it could appeal to a certain type of person. Someone who wants to know how another person finds it within themselves to keep going, when all they want to do it give up when they reach their "burn zone".

Hmm... Maybe that's why it doesn't appeal to me. I'm drawn to a different type of motivational guidance. This is also not something I would normally choose to read simply for enjoyment.

It was possibly professionally edited, as I did not notice any errors.

First Ten review added on June 23, 2018, at 1:01 am by Tiny_Turtle.

scratchcat318

I thought the cover was very well designed and the blurb was a very interesting summary of the book. I like the idea of following the story of someone who had to rise back to the top after hitting the bottom in their life. I would be interested in buying this book in the future, because I do like a good narrative story based on someone's life. I liked how the first couple chapters were written in a very nostalgic tone as the narrator reminisced about his younger years as an ice cream seller. One thing I did not like was that the narrator listed his personality and strengths/weaknesses literally on the first page of the book. I thought it was very unnecessary, considering the narrator could have easily worked these personality traits into the story and let the readers discover them for themselves. Overall, I like the idea and the direction that this book is going, and I like how well edited, charmingly written, and interesting it seems to be.

First Ten review added on June 23, 2018, at 1:36 am by scratchcat318.

Momiji1987

Jorge’s life is fascinating. It’s amazing to me to read about his intellect as a seven year old and his independence at such a young age. It’s inspiring and his story is so fun to read. I can’t imagine being a paperboy or an ice cream seller before the age of twelve! I also really love the pictures he chose to include, it brings the story to life. I like the cover design and the title, especially after reading his explanation for the choice in his introduction. I’m curious to know how he escaped millions in debt and a brush with the elite, not to mention the damage to his reputation. I’m definitely adding this book to my want to read list for the future. The editing appears flawless and like the reviewer, I’m kind of geeked out right now. This guy is quite incredible, and also a really great writer. I probably wouldn’t have looked at this book outside of this program and really didn’t know what to expect when I started reading, but I’d say I’m sold.

First Ten review added on June 23, 2018, at 4:56 am by Momiji1987.

Dolor

Without The First Ten program, I wouldn't have chosen to read this book because by just looking at the cover and the title, without reading the contents, I thought it's about bicycle racing and burning cholesterol. I don't even know how to ride on a bike. Reading the first ten pages, I have known that the book is way more than bicycle racing and burning cholesterol. Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery chronicles life's atrocities and how the author triumphed over them. At the age of seven, he delivered the Herald and the Evening Outlook newspaper to the neighborhood using his bike with the prize of a hot bath after his successful completion. At the age of eleven he tried pedaling ice cream. I don't believe in the ritual to say "White Rabbits" as soon as a person wakes up can empower him/her with good luck. I have not found any error and I don't have any improvement suggestion for this professionally-edited book.

First Ten review added on June 23, 2018, at 5:40 am by Dolor.

JR Mercier

Burn Zones' blurb is a giant factor in reading this book. The author was left in over 26 million dollars in debt and he still managed to get out. Burn Zones starts off with an introduction that leaves me speechless and begging for more. I love how the author lists his flaws and his strengths, and how they are the same thing. He doesn't hold back and his to the point writing demands action. The author writes the book as a story and not just points to follow. The photos in the book also ad to the 'realness' of the whole. I really like this book and I know the official review gave Burn Zones a perfect rating. I will enjoy reading this book.

First Ten review added on June 23, 2018, at 8:37 am by JR Mercier.

KristyKhem

Based on the cover design and title, I would not have chosen this book to read. The sepia-colored cover and the word, “Burn” in the title reminded me of a scorching desert. Furthermore, I am not interested in cycling, so the cyclist on the cover did not interest me. Also, the blurb suggested to me that the story seemed quite complex and followed legal and financial themes. The Amazon ratings seemed excellent so I tried to keep an open mind when reading the sample. At first, it seemed like a self-help book, but I was surprised to learn that it was a memoir. I liked the narrative style of the book. It seemed to be interspersed with tidbits of advice and pictures. It was not as complex as I had originally thought. However, the story did not pique my interest and I felt that I could not relate to the author in any way. Therefore, I would not buy this book. With regards to editing, I believe it was edited professionally. I did not notice any errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on June 23, 2018, at 11:12 am by KristyKhem.

Ever_Reading

I love how the warm colours used in the cover complement the title of the book. I probably would have chosen to sample the book because of the high praises it received on Amazon. The Official OBC review also only had good things to say about the book. I enjoyed the first ten pages and from them learnt a lot about the author. I liked that Newberry tied in the title from the get-go by comparing cycling to everyday challenges through highlighting the "Burn Zones" in both. I found it inspiring that Newberry's story begins with something as simple as delivering newspapers. It goes to show that anyone can be great. I don't plan to buy the book because as I was reading, I couldn't help but feel I was reading something I'd read before. As a budding entrepreneur, I've read many stories like Newberry's and I feel, for the most part, I already know what to expect. So I'd rather read about him online for free. Otherwise, the pages I read were well written and void of errors.

First Ten review added on June 23, 2018, at 1:44 pm by Ever_Reading.

lesler

I would definitely read this book, as the author has an interesting story. I would not have originally chosen to read this sample, as it looks like a book about cycling, which does not interest me. The first ten pages changed my mind on reading this book, because it's a memoir about this author's entrepreneur skills. It appeared professionally edited, with no grammatical or typos that I noticed. I like learning how he saved his money to move on to more lucrative opportunities. I did see a review on this, but it did not affect my decision to not read the book initially. I look forward to reading it now!

First Ten review added on June 23, 2018, at 3:05 pm by lesler.

JuliaKay

The cover looks professional, but I can't say I like it, and I do not really like the title either. There's just nothing that stands out to me. The first thought that comes into my head is "boring." The blurbs and reviews are well-written and pretty good, but they still don't capture my interest. I think this just isn't a genre that I like very well. Had I not sampled the first ten pages of Burn Zones, I probably not have chosen to read this book. The book seems professionally edit, although I did noticed an error - ten written as 10. The author also referred to his mom as "mum," and I wondered why that was if he lived in Los Angeles, but maybe this is explained further into the book. I was surpassed the first ten pages actually did capture my attention so well. Starting the book with the paperboy story was a good day as well as listing his flaws and his weaknesses (both the same). I am still not sure that I would read this whole book, but it might be one that I recommend to other people. I think the title and cover could use work though.

First Ten review added on June 23, 2018, at 5:21 pm by JuliaKay.

SamSim

Prior to reading the sample, I definitely was interested in reading this book. The blurb had me pumped and asking: what happened to this guy and how did he piece his life back together? The reviews, of which there are a good number, are very positive. I like the cover, want to know what "burn zones" are, and am ready to check this sample out! (There are a couple of minor errors in the blurb, though.) After reading the sample ... Okay, seriously, this book is awesome. I'm hooked. I love his work ethic, his can-do attitude. I love the stories of how is family supported and helped him. It's heart-warming, it's inspiring, it's entertaining. I MUST read the rest of this book and I'm really looking forward to it. I was disappointed when the sample ended. For the record, there are errors. Several missing commas, one verb in the wrong tense, "one-day" shouldn't be hyphenated, nor should "seven-years-old." Honestly, though, the charming and engaging nature of this memoir renders the errors irrelevant in my mind. I have already bought and downloaded it and I will be reading the rest ASAP. Thanks for introducing me to this book and thanks to the author for sharing his story of inspiring gumption.

First Ten review added on June 23, 2018, at 5:36 pm by SamSim.

RebeccasReading

This is not a book I would have normally read. Based on the cover and title, I thought it was a fitness book. After reading the sample, my opinion is the same. I just don't really have an interest in the topic. I did enjoy the metaphor the author discussed about the burn zone in biking races and getting through the hardest part of life. However, I didn't like the format in the beginning where the author listed his strength's and weaknesses. I found it confusing and distracting. It seems to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on June 23, 2018, at 9:40 pm by RebeccasReading.

SPasciuti

I genuinely believed I would not be finishing this book. The review, while positive, didn’t endear me to it and I don’t read books like this often. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the sample. Not only did the author do a brilliant job of introducing burn zones, he brings the reader into the book in a way that leaves them almost desperate to read the rest.

I love the short introduction to his life, the successes he achieves, and his subsequent downfall. Then he goes on to list his pros and cons before delving into the beginning of his life. And it was fascinating. The book does seem professionally edited and I am looking forward to reading the rest.

First Ten review added on June 24, 2018, at 3:07 am by SPasciuti.

Bianka Walter

I am not a big reader of autobiographies, so this is not a book that I would gravitate toward. Without the first ten program, I wouldn't have sampled or read the book. I enjoyed the first ten pages. Jorge Newbery seems like he has had a very interesting life, and the introduction left me curious as to how he got himself into certain situations. I enjoyed the story of his youth and the various jobs he obtained, and felt his drive to work come through strongly in his writing. Even with all of this, and the very well edited sample, I am not a fan of autobiographies, and won't be reading this book. The OBC review was very complimentary, but didn't change my mind about reading this one.

First Ten review added on June 24, 2018, at 5:44 am by Bianka Walter.

Total ~ 36%

Burn Zones earned a score of 36%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 36% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Burn Zones