Cover for Immortals' Requiem

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Immortals' Requiem

Because Immortals' Requiem was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

Howlan

The cover is excellent. The synopsis is alluring, especially to readers of fantasy stories. Being an avid mystery reader myself, I was instantly drawn to this book from the cover and synopsis alone. The reviews also justify how good this book is. The first ten pages were a great read. Notably, the way the author paid attention to little details amazed me. The first chapter depicts the sacrifice of a tattooed man as he kills a giant. The second chapter takes us to the Roman era where a cursed Roman citizen, the son of the governor, receives a cursed blessing from an allegedly immortal being. The third chapter deals with a supernatural fight between two being each with incredible powers. The first ten pages were fabulous, and it grabbed my attention. The air of mystery and the setting of the story was excellent. The only I wish to improve would have been a little more addition of humor in the story. I like the first ten pages, and I will read this whole book, as I was invested in the story. No typos were noticed in the first ten pages. The Official Review is present, and the reviewer rates it highly.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2020, at 4:10 am by Howlan.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

winecellarlibrary

I've seen this book advertised on Online Book Club before, and honestly, despite its status as the 2018 Book of the Year, the cover had completely turned me off from reading it.

Unfortunately, despite the glowing OBC review, my opinion did not change when reading the first ten pages. I particularly did not like the opening scene where the human man and woman were being tortured and their legs had been burned to blackened stumps. It is a good thing, however, that I did not notice any errors in the sample that I read.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2020, at 2:26 am by winecellarlibrary.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

jeminah28

The sample freaks me out. I appreciate the flow of the story, there is a background way back 500BC. I like when the giant is dead, but the OBC reviewer stated that Grímnír's presence is an indicator of the giant's resurrection. I will not read the book because the OBC reviewer gives warning that this book contains too much of killing people. My decision of not reading the book is based on the review- the precaution. Gladly, the book is easy to decipher and is well edited. I did not notice any typos in the bit I read. I cannot recommend anything for improvements because the book fits in properly to fantasy readers.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2020, at 2:07 am by jeminah28.

espo

Before sampling the book, I knew I would not be interested in reading it, mainly because it belongs to the fantasy genre, which I am not interested in. Although the fact that the blurb mentions that the book is a fantasy for mature audiences intrigues me, I do not think I would enjoy reading it. The book has lots of positive customer and editorial reviews, but that did not influence my decision. Reading the first ten pages did not make me change my mind. While the book seems to be fascinating and well-written, its plot, characters, and style are typical of the fantasy genre, which I am not into. The book seems to be well-written and professionally edited. My favorite thing about the book is the author's writing style, which is rather compelling. I did not come across anything that should be improved: I am simply not into fantasy. The book has an official review on Online Book Club, but that had no influence on my decision of not buying the book.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2020, at 1:41 pm by espo.

Julius_

The cover is very scary. I wouldn't have sampled this book based on either the cover or the title. I'm not a fan of fantasy novels. I, therefore, will not finish reading this book. I liked the sentence structure. It was short and precise. This made reading this book very easy. I don't have any improvement recommendations since this isn't my genre. I didn't encounter any grammatical errors within the first ten pages. I saw the official OBC review of this book.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2020, at 12:03 pm by Julius_.

sanjus

It was evident from book cover and title that this book could be a historical fantasy novel, in the light of that, I considered knowing more about this book before buying and reading because the theme was interesting. The official review helped to let me know that the setting of this book spans 2000 years and is about the evil which existed in the form of a miracle child, which further motivated me to buy and read the book. After reading the first ten pages, I found that the book was professionally edited as I did not notice any grammatical or typing errors. The thing l liked the most in this book is the author's art of world-building, where the life of evil is entangled to a human. The evil and the human act in tandem to continue their vicious cycle of rebirth spanning centuries. I suggest the author give more details of the scenes because I needed to make a bunch of wild guesses to visualizing the scenes. I found the narrative not so gripping because it jumped from one topic to another rather quickly. After looking at all these aspects, I decided not to purchase and read this book today, but wait until the author adds some more details to make the reading pleasurable.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2020, at 3:08 am by sanjus.

Shrabastee

The title is catchy, but the cover looked creepy to me. The blurb and the official OBC review mentioned the books contents and strong points, respectively. This genre is one of my favorites, so I intend to read this one. The first ten pages were without editing issues. The writing style is suitable for my choice, as is the subject matter. The eternal dance of good and evil is portrayed through the enmity of the tattoed man and Cu Roi. That their lives are interlinked just makes the premise even more interesting. As they are both shown to be destroyed in a battle during 500 BC, I want to see how they reincarnate in the following pages. The initial pages hint at a completely new world with supernatural beings and forces at play. I can't think of any improvements the book needs. I am surely going to read this.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2020, at 1:29 am by Shrabastee.

Aditi Sapate

I would not have chosen to read this book based on the title, cover and genre, as I'm not a fan of fantasy novels. I've been reading the sample, but I haven't been able to figure out what's going on between the tattooed man and Cu Roi. Also, the official OnlineBookClub review mentioned that the book contains a lot of carnage and bloodshed which I don't like to read. I will not be reading the full book. The sample did not contain any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2020, at 1:02 am by Aditi Sapate.

Katie Canedy

I chose to read the book because the cover indicates that this one is a popular book, so why not give it a read? I liked how the sample had some semblance to the open-world concept of World of Warcraft; I am not aware of any other books that have done this. I was going to read it because I liked where it was going. However, I opted out after reading the featured Official OnlineBookClub Review because it said that Immortals' Requiem had much violence and death, and I am not a fan of either of these topics. There were no grammatical errors in the sample that I could find. If there was an improvement to be made, it would be to get rid of the death and violence aspects. At the same time, I am aware that this cannot be done because it is an essential part of the book.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2020, at 12:22 am by Katie Canedy.

Washboard

I sometimes enjoy books from this genre. The title and cover art are both eye-catching. The official review makes the book sound appealing. The sample did not contain any noticeable errors. The prologue introduces a demon that is escaping a hell-like prison, and a tattooed man who's life is tethered to the demon. I enjoyed the descriptive writing, but am concerned by how much violence and gore the book will contain. I will add this one to my list of books to read, as it sounds very exciting!

First Ten review added on March 14, 2020, at 11:46 pm by Washboard.

shannonkate8

I will start by saying the OBC official review definitely had me interested in this book. There was much praise and the synopsis was intriguing. The cover also fits the subject and is eye-catching. There were also some minor grammatical issues but nothing blatant, which is a positive sign for the whole book. However, after the first ten pages, I think I am going to pass. I was not drawn in enough to want to continue reading. I see how others could be interested, but I believe the start was too slow for me to want to continue.

First Ten review added on March 14, 2020, at 9:13 pm by shannonkate8.

evraealtana

The front cover looks interesting, and the many awards/certifications at the bottom seem impressive, although I don't know what they are for.
I did not understand the first ten pages at all. I tried to follow the history of the realm and its various players - the names of which I cannot now recall, despite having finished the first ten pages fewer than 10 minutes ago. Perhaps I am overtired, but I really struggled to comprehend how all the pieces were supposed to fit together and what the significance of each was. It felt like too much information all at once, with the result that I didn't retain any of it. Particularly since the Prologue part 1, Prologue part 2, and Chapter 1 all exist in different apparent universes, it felt disjointed and choppy. I also dislike the habit - not just with this author, but of all fantasy authors - of using accented letters in names (such as Cu Roi, or Cú Roí, who is a main character in the first few pages and I suspect for the remainder of the book). These symbols are meaningless to the vast majority of readers, who do not speak Irish Gaelic, from which the names were supposedly taken. As such, it makes the name look "special" (I guess), but also makes it impossible to pronounce, making it inaccessible and therefore less memorable for readers. It would be far superior to spell names phonetically, since the spelling is usually irrelevant to the plot anyway. As an example in this book, as best I can tell, "Camhlaidh" (apparently Irish in origin?) should be pronounced "COW-lye", which has no business being shortened to "Cam" - instead it should be "Camh", pronounced "Cow"... and so on. Many fantasy writers do this, and it makes the books difficult to emotionally invest in because none of the characters have names the reader can mentally pronounce. I noted no errors in the first ten pages. Even though the official OBC reviewer glowed over this story, I will not continue with it.

First Ten review added on March 14, 2020, at 7:03 pm by evraealtana.

B Creech

Upon seeing the cover and the title of this book, I knew it is not a book I would choose to read. After reading the official review, and the first ten pages, I did not change my mind. The book immediately started with violence. The giant making the two humans bow at his feet in hot ashes as their feet and legs burned was not pleasant to read. The Tattoo man killing the giant, then dying himself and being torn apart and eaten was too much for me. Although I did not find any errors, and I don't know of anything that would need improving since the book is fantasy, it is not a book I would enjoy reading.

First Ten review added on March 14, 2020, at 6:53 pm by B Creech.

VernaVi

Had I not sampled this book through the First Ten program, I would not have chosen it because the cover design shows a skeletal face, and I don’t usually read books that contain violence. For this reason, I don’t intend to read the whole book. Reading the first ten pages confirmed my initial impressions of the book. The first scene featured torture and violence. Based on what I read, the book seems professionally edited. I saw no errors in what I read. What I liked most about what I read was the description of the field dotted with bluebells, daisies, and buttercups. As far as improvement, on a personal level, less gruesome details would be good. I did read the Official Online Book Club review and found it insightful. It didn’t change my opinions of the work.

First Ten review added on March 14, 2020, at 6:11 pm by VernaVi.

AvidBibliophile

The cover art makes an impactful statement, feels fantasy genre appropriate, and appears to have been professionally formatted and designed. The Amazon product description is persuasively enticing, especially with mention of: reawakened ancient horrors, shotgun-toting elves, warriors, and violent supernatural beings. The story immediately begins with powerfully-descriptive prose in examples like: "Their legs had blistered and burned down to raw, blackened sticks... reverberating roars and barbed tentacles." This book appears to have been professionally edited. The one published OBC review, in addition to the 107 currently posted Amazon user ratings are all primarily positive in content, tone, and recommendation. Since novels within the dark fantasy genre do not generally fall within my preferred reading categories, I will be passing on this one, but I can sense how the flawless storytelling and attention to detail has had the power to delight imaginative minds worldwide!

First Ten review added on March 14, 2020, at 5:00 pm by AvidBibliophile.

LeDiplomatique

I would not have chosen Immortals' Requiem by Vincent Bobbe based on the title and cover illustration because the two did not raise curiosity in me. They brought the idea of a sci-fi into my mind so I was not very interested. However, after reading the First Ten, I was dragged into the story despite the violence in it. I would love to read the story of Cú Roí and Grímnir, the monster slayer. I did not come across any errors in the First Ten and did not see anything to improve. I most love how the story begins, with insight on a previous encounter between Cú Roí and Grímnir, in 500BC. This will definitely help readers to follow the story better. I came across an official review by Bianka Walter, and I learnt that the book contains a lot of violence. Despite that, I believe it is a book worth reading.

First Ten review added on March 14, 2020, at 3:01 pm by LeDiplomatique.

Lunastella

I wouldn't read this book based on first impressions. The title and the cover made me think about vampires and, honestly, I'm tired of vampire stories due to the latest overexposure to the topic. The book has great reviews but the blurb describes it as a "Tolkienesque grimdark fantasy", which is not a genre I enjoy.
I think the strongest asset of the first ten pages is the descriptions. I could truly smell the charred skin and feel the revulsion and fear that the author wanted to transmit. I wonder what the deal is with the tattoed man and why is he tied to Cú Roí. I usually applaud that the authors spring right into action but I felt a bit confused this time.
I didn't find any editing mistakes and this novel seems to be a solid dark supernatural fantasy and I don't think it needs improvements, it's just not of my taste. I applaud that in this book monsters are allowed to be monsters, to be scary and disgusting, instead of sexualizing them, as is the latest trend. The book has an official review but it didn't change my mind.

First Ten review added on March 14, 2020, at 2:04 pm by Lunastella.

Twylla

I would NOT have chosen this book to read or even sample this book based on the cover (which is fantastic) and the title, “Immortals’ Requiem An Alternative Earth Novel”, which is also fantastic. Sci Fi Fantasy is not my first choice for a book. For the same reason, I would NOT buy this book.

Reading the first ten pages did not change my mind. Then I skipped to the vampire part of the story. The whole book made me a little squeamish. There is too much death and violence, so this book is not for me.

This book is professionally edited and clearly well written.

My favorite thing about the book is the cover and the title. Very impressive.
As far as what could be improved, I don’t think I can speak to that because I am not a sci-fi fantasy fan.

The book has an Official OnlineBookClub review which is very well written. He loves the book!

First Ten review added on March 14, 2020, at 1:57 pm by Twylla.

Nickolas Farmakis

This is a dark, gothic fantasy novel with supernatural elements about monsters and giants. I would not have read the book based on the title, the cover, or the genre, as I do not like fantasy novels. I will not read the book, as I found it boring, cliche, and unrealistic. The book was professionally edited, as I did not encounter any errors in the sample I read. What I liked most in the sample I read was the fact that the author utilized dialogue and descriptive techniques, which engaged the reader. To improve, the writer should make the novel more realistic by creating a plot that matches a real-life scenario. The book had an Official OnlineBookClub review, which did not affect my opinion.

First Ten review added on March 14, 2020, at 1:54 pm by Nickolas Farmakis.

Laura Lee

What a freaky cover! I love it. The Amazon blurb is excellent. This is NOT my preferred genre, so ordinarily, I wouldn't give this book a second chance, but the Amazon blurb really pulled me in. The book review clinched it: I was interested.

Ironically enough, it is the thing I like best about the book that is why I won't be finishing reading it. The author is incredibly skilled at writing descriptively. He's very good and his world-building is very convincing. However, the content in the sample pages ended up being too dark for my personal taste. That said, I have to respect the ability of the author to craft an entire alternate reality with just words. He's very good. As far as anything technical, there wasn't anything that I felt could be improved upon and the editing was well-done. If you like dark fantasy, you'll probably love this book.

First Ten review added on March 14, 2020, at 1:51 pm by Laura Lee.

This book appears to have been Book of the Day more than once. Only responses from the most recent Book of the Day focus group are shown. Older responses have been hidden by default to avoid confusion. If you would like to also view the older first ten responses, you can unhide them by clicking the button below.

Show Older Responses

Total ~ 20%

Immortals' Requiem earned a score of 20%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 20% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Immortals' Requiem

https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/authors/blurb.php?topic_id=129687&bookid=30237