Cover for Immortals' Requiem

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Immortals' Requiem

Because Immortals' Requiem was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

gali

I would have sampled the book on my own, as I love urban fantasy! The cover is awesome, and the blurb gives a good sense of the plot. The book opened with an exciting fighting between two immortals, moved to an arrogant young Roman Centurion, and then jumped to present-day London. The plot seemed a bit disjointed, as it jumped from one scene to another without any clear connection. While the plot was engaging, it was far too graphic for me at times. Add to that, there were too many characters to follow. Adding characters list would make it easier to follow the plot. The book appears to be well edited, which is a plus. While I like the premise, the sample didn't grab me enough to buy the book. The official review didn't sway my decision either way.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 7:47 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

DancingLady

I don’t care for dark fantasy and the review didn’t give me any reason to think I would enjoy this book. The first 10 pages were very disturbing, gross and truly off-putting. I was ready to be done within a few paragraphs. While I didn’t notice any errors, torturously slow human sacrifice is one of the worst things I can think of and I hope I forget everything I read. This book appears to be filled with an evil I want nothing to do with. I will not be buying it.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 10:02 am by DancingLady.

lesler

Had I not sampled the first part of this book, I probably would not have read it, as I haven't been in the mood for fantasies lately. After sampling, I am not planning to read the whole book, although I am intrigued. There were so many characters introduced and carnage in those first couple of pages. It moved fast, but I couldn't tell which characters to get attached to to root for. I liked the characters of Cam from long ago, and Sam from this time period. This book appears professionally edited, with no typos or grammatical errors that I noticed. The scenes moved so much, from the old gladiator times, to the present day dive bar. It was interesting, but not my interest at this moment.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 10:33 am by lesler.

cpru68

Had I not been directed to read the sample through the book club, I probably would not have chosen this one just because fantasy novels are not my genre of choice. I was impressed by the author’s great descriptive skills in the opening pages, and I found no errors whatsoever. I was a bit confused by all the characters and time shifts, but again, I'm not a seasoned fantasy book reader. I did enjoy the part where Marcus is confronted by the red haired fairy for desecrating the ring of stones. That whole scenario was tense as he continues to act so powerful in the presence of a supernatural being. Even his friends ran away! And the way it was left hanging as she granted him one wish with lifelong consequences was intriguing. I did read the glowing review, and I agree with the reviewer in that the author does write with great skill, but it was also mentioned that there is a lot of violence. Even in the pages I read, I found this to be true, and I'm just not into that type of reading. Therefore, I'm passing on this one. I have no suggestions to make, and it appears the book has been professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 10:52 am by cpru68.

Christina O Phillips

The title and cover did not attract me because I figured it'd be just another vampire tale. The summary did nothing to convince me otherwise. Without this program, I would have skipped this sample. There were no errors that I noticed. I did not like the skipping around to different character perspectives. I felt that I did not have enough time to learn about or care about a character before I was moving on to the next one.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 11:10 am by Christina O Phillips.

KristyKhem

Despite the interesting blurb and excellent Amazon reviews, had I not been participating in the First Ten programme, I would not have chosen this book to read because the cover design is frightening and reminds me of demon possession. In my opinion, the sample was well written. I especially liked the descriptions throughout the book such as the how the beautiful countryside and the Fairy Ring were portrayed in the second chapter. The writer uses excellent imagery. However, I did not like the multiple perspectives in the book – there were too many characters to keep track of like Marcus, Sam, Camhlaidh, Grimnir, and Sarah who all have their own sub-stories. Additionally, I did not like the use of profane language. This book seemed professionally edited and I did not find any errors. Rated 4 /4 on Online Book Club, this story may appeal to horror and fantasy fans. Unfortunately, it did not resonate with me so I would not purchase it.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 11:48 am by KristyKhem.

britt13

The official review was one of the most positive I have ever seen. Even though I have no interest in the plot of this book, she got me excited about reading the first ten pages at least! The imagery used in this book is superb. It focuses not only on sight but smell and sound as well. I found that very impressive. I also found no errors so that was nice. I also very much enjoyed the banners that told you the year. It just looked nice and was very obvious. Bobbe did a great job with this writing. If it was my genre, I would be all over this. As it stands though, I will not be continuing just because of the subject matter. I will be looking up other works by Bobbe though to see if any are in different genres, that is how much I liked the writing!

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 12:03 pm by britt13.

Scerakor

From the cover, review, and blurb of this book, I may have read it. The review was extremely complementary and the story line interested me. After reading the first ten pages, I didn't change my mind. I loved the quick background (from 500BC!) which introduced us to this rivalry. As well, the introduction of the supernatural creatures in the form of the Barghest and the humour innate in the character of Camhlaidh. Although I'm not going to buy this book today, I'm definitely keeping it on my to-read list for the near future, and therefore will mark yes below. From what I read, it seems well written and edited. There wasn't anything specific I would have liked to see changed in the sample that I read. The official review didn't affect my decision, but definitely got me excited to read the sample.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 12:37 pm by Scerakor.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

cristinaro

If it had not been for the first ten program, I would not have sampled this book only based on its title and cover. I would have assumed it was another vampire or zombie story and I would have instantly dismissed it. Even if I am not exactly a fan of dark urban fantasies, the Amazon blurb together with the awards the author received caught my attention in this case. With amazing editorial reviews and over 90% positive customer reviews, "Immortals' Requiem" sounds like a must-read for fantasy lovers. I can honestly say the prologue took me by surprise. The writer seems to have both a gift for storytelling and a wild imagination. The scene between the giant and the tattooed man is vividly described and quickly holds the reader's attention. I immediately had the feeling fantasy lovers will have the satisfaction of plunging into a realm populated with all kinds of extraordinary creatures (Brigantes, foreseers, healers, Bargest, etc.). When the action moves forward to 82AD, I also noticed the author's descriptive talent when I read the description of the great Roman fort of Mamucium. What happens between Marcus and the Maiden of Earth and Water strikes quite unexpectedly and promises an interesting plot development. The switch of perspectives from one character to another could be confusing, but I am sure I can get used to it as soon as I get to know the characters. In spite of the graphic scenes, the story is too well written for me to ship it. Besides, I could find no editing problems in the sample. The overenthusiastic OBC review totally convinced me to add this book to my reading list.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 2:15 pm by cristinaro.

Yolimari

I would have not sampled this book without this program because the cover gives me the creeps. The OBC review did not convince me to read the book because it indicated that the story has scenes of extreme violence, which I do not like. After I read the sample pages, I thought the book was professionally edited. I did not like that the humans, a man and a woman, were captives and that their legs were horribly injured. I found it interesting that they have abilities, like seeing the future. I will not read this book because I do not like scenes of extreme violence.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 3:10 pm by Yolimari.

Laura Bach

The Official OnlineBookClub review said that this is a violent book. It is more violent than I imagined. A lot of people dying means that you must make the reader invested in the story, otherwise it's just meaningless murder. I was not able to feel anything for the characters in such a short number of pages. I liked to read about Fairy-Rings, druid traditions, and drunk elves. That being left aside, I saw a book that didn't captivate me with its beginning. It may be because I don't like urban fantasies and I find the genre to be too dark for my taste. The title is the only thing that I liked about the book's appearance. I won't be reading the rest of the book because it is not my cup of tea. It seems professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 3:14 pm by Laura Bach.

JuliaKay

This cover is stunning with its creepiness and quality of the artwork, and I really like the title. It makes me want to know more. I do enjoy the fantasy genre, and the review for this story made it seem like a must read. This is a story I would have wanted to sample. I was disappointed from my initial guess though. The book seemed to begin with some sort of battle between fantastical beings, but I didn't feel like I had enough information about their history or who they are. Cam's chapter was a little better because it did feel like an introduction to a main character, and I could tell he was written with wit and substance based on the antifreeze versus whisky conversation. I wanted to know more about him. There was an instance where the writing says "...because he was broke: he..." After the colon, "he" should have been capitalized. Other than that, I didn't notice any errors, and I would conclude that this book has been professionally edited. I probably will still give this book a chance, but I do feel that the beginning could use a little bit of work. Maybe start with Cam' s chapter and later in the story do the retelling of history.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 5:42 pm by JuliaKay.

micoleon13

This is an interesting cover page which I would like to find out more about. The OnlineBookClub review was very complementary and outlined a story that I would be interested in. I especially liked the fact that an elf was continuously drunk. The pages which I read were well written and edited and the story immediately goes into action with death and gore in the form of monsters, magic and murder. This story intrigued me so I would like to continue reading this book. I have no ideas for improvement.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 5:44 pm by micoleon13.

LarissaRunamuck

The Prologue definitely captivates my attention right away but the author wrote "the tattooed man" way too many times, where he could have simply written "he" or "him". It would have flowed smoother. I also feel like there should have been some description of the tattoos since it is mentioned so frequently. Do they cover his body? Are they coherent symbols or pictures? Are they colored? There are also a few sentences that could be written just a little better such as "The disconcerting smile 'grew' broader" rather than "'got' broader". However, most of what I read is written beautifully. I love the imagination and the strong powers immediately at play between life and death and varying species. I love the action and that the first section ends with characters having been watching the whole thing from the forest. Unfortunately, I had to read it twice to clearly see everything that was happening. A bit more description of their whereabouts would have made it come together a bit better. Following the second part of the Prologue with Marcus and the same red haired girl from before, I knew I wanted to read the whole book. It's very interesting and definitely geared for my audience, as I love fantasy books. Even the modern bits are written well, such as "Maybe it had been lightning, he thought. Maybe God had been listening. He barked a nervous laugh. The rain hissed back." I love the personification and will definitely read the whole book.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 5:55 pm by LarissaRunamuck.

CinWin

The cover of "Immortals' Requiem" by Vincent Bobbe is wonderful. It really shows you what the genre is without even opening the book. So of course I opened it and read the first 10 pages. It was a little confusing at first with all the different characters, so I read it again. Then it really peaked my curiosity and I wanted to read the rest of it. The thing I liked the best is the way Vincente Bobbe writes using extremely descriptive language. Even with all of the violence and death, he still makes it beautiful. I did not find anything that should be improved upon. There is a "Glossary of Characters" at the end of the book, which is a great way not to get confused. I also did not see any gramatical errors in the first 10 pages, which made for an easy read. There was an exceptional onlinebookclub review that made you want to read it even more!

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 7:15 pm by CinWin.

BunnySTx

After reading a sample of, Immortals' Requiem by Vincent Bobbe, I have decided that I will finish reading this book. When I saw the cover for this book, I became excited. The cover looked exciting, intriguing and a bit scary. So I was eager to explore this book. As I read the blurb, I was hooked. I couldn't wait to grab up a copy, dive in, and start reading. The author fascinates me with the immortal creatures begin to fade. My curiosity is piqued, as to why this is happening. The author tells of the horror rising, after 2000 years of being dead! My excitement continues to grow. As I read a few pages of this book, I'm reluctant to put it down. I like that the author starts the prologue in 500 BC. The description of the land around the tattooed man pulls me in. The ground is charred and burned, ash falling from the sky. I'm eager to know more. There are also two humans. They are speaking something, but the man does not care. The tattooed man is not alone either. As I read further into the story, I'm excited by the characters. The more I read, the deeper I want to delve into the story. Based on what I've read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review. The reviewer piqued my interest immediately. The reviewer speaks positively of the book and how much they enjoyed it. I will be finishing this book!

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 7:45 pm by BunnySTx.

lavellan

I probably would have read the sample of Immortals' Requiem even if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. The Book of the Day review was positive and the cover was eye-catching. The book seemed like it was professionally edited and I did not notice any errors while reading. I enjoyed the development of Cu Roi and the author's descriptive language. I would have liked it if more background information was including on the fantasy races and the gods/goddesses. Due to this, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 7:48 pm by lavellan.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would not have read the book as I do not think the genre is something I typically read. After reading the sample I have changed my mind. I really love the writing style. The dialogue seems authentic to the time period and the world-building, and I also like how description about what the characters are doing as they speak are sprinkled throughout the conversations. I also love the narrative writing as well; one sentence I really liked was this: "It was a thing of emotion and will, rather than language." It was professionally edited. I did not read the official review but that did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 8:00 pm by psychopathycathy.

Momiji1987

The reviewer was so enamored of this book, I was very interested in trying it since I enjoy fantasy sometimes. I’m not yet sure how I feel about this book myself though. The opening is rather dark, with a giant and a tattooed man torturing a couple of rare humans, a healer and an old man with special abilities. The descriptions are very rich and reminiscent of Game of Thrones, which is very popular, but sadly not a series I enjoyed or chose to read after trying it. Fans of that will likely rave about this book though. I doubt I will continue reading this book since the review also mentioned a ton of deaths and that’s just too dark for me. The cover is very nicely designed and I like the ancient world the author explores, but despite impeccable editing and an interesting premise, I’ll pass on this one.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 8:07 pm by Momiji1987.

ZenaLei7

After reading the first ten pages, I decided not to finish reading the book. The beginning of the book had a lot of violence in it and was very descriptive about it as well. I don't enjoy reading horror fiction either. While reading the sample, I was appalled at the state of the two beings where their legs were burnt so much that there was nothing left but bone. I do like the book cover and title so if I were to sample the book based on just the cover and title, I probably would have chosen to sample it because they both look interesting. While reading the sample, I didn't notice any grammatical errors either. I also read the official OBC review for this book which was helpful in solidifying my decision on taking a pass on this book. There isn't anything I would change anything about this book.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 8:12 pm by ZenaLei7.

MsTri

I absolutely LOVE the cover and title for "Immortals' Requiem", and the synopsis and OBC review (the only one I read) both convinced me that I'd love to read this. I really like the plot and am excited to read about the variety of creatures that this book includes. Upon reading the sample, I was so glad to see that it's professionally edited. While I enjoyed the whole thing, my favorite part was the scene where the Barghest attacked Grímnir, and he basically shrugged them off; I could picture it in my head, and it really seems like a scene from a movie. I have no suggestions for changes because it's written perfectly already.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 9:12 pm by MsTri.

bookowlie

I would not have sampled this book on my own as I don't care for the topics described in the Amazon blurb (shapeshifters, vampires, and zombies). I also don't like horror fiction and the cover creeped me out. The Amazon summary is free of errors and gives a general explanation of the plot. Unfortunately, the story sounds busy with multiple characters having parallel storylines. I found it hard to become absorbed in the story, with too much dialogue in the first chapter and overly detailed descriptions of the setting in the second chapter. The OBC review is glowing with positive comments about the world-building, vivid descriptions, and interesting characters. However, I am not interested in reading further based on the sample and my personal reading preferences.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 9:57 pm by bookowlie.

Kendra M Parker

Being labeled as British Horror fiction, it is unlikely that I would have stumbled upon this book anytime soon without the reviews on this site. I had recently seen this book reviewed and the official review certainly caught my eye, so I was interested in this one even before this program. I love fantasy, especially well written types with plenty of battles between good and evil. This book certainly seems to fit that bill. As I read the first ten pages, I found the book hard to put down. I loved that there were so many mysteries with the battle between Cu Roí and the tattooed man. Moving forward In time, we still don’t see anything much more revealed with Galerius and his friends right away. Instead, the mysteries grow. I loved that. I’m definitely going to get this book and read more of it, especially since it was very cleanly edited.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 10:09 pm by Kendra M Parker.

Snowflake

I feel that the cover graphics match the book excellently. The Amazon blurb was well done too and gives a very good idea of the storyline and the tone of the book in a nice concise manner. Even though I appreciate the quality of the cover and blurb, it is highly unlikely that I would have sampled this book without the first ten pages program. I really do not like to read about explicit violence. The OBC review was very positive, however, it added to my understanding that the violence continues beyond the sample and confirmed my thoughts that this is not a book for me. I did not notice any obvious typos or grammar errors in the sample. The text flowed smoothly and was very detailed in describing the scenes and beings within them. As I mentioned, I am not a fan of detailed violence and the opening scene with the callous deaths of the humans was not enjoyable for me. It was understandiable in light of the nature of the book, but definitely not my cup of tea. I do not plan to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 10:46 pm by Snowflake.

scratchcat318

I really like the cover of this book! I like how it creates a visual for what the giant looks like, and it looks to be very professionally put together. However, I really do not like the blurb for this book. It provides very little details as to what the plot of the story is, and I think the overview section of the blurb is very lackluster. One thing I do not like about the first chapter of this book is how we receive very little explination for what is going on. We don't know any of the characters, their relationships with each other, or who they are. I feel like this chapter could have definitely been edited or cut out entirely in order for the reader to get the best understanding out of this fantasy setting. The next chapter is written much better, with a great description of the setting and a well-written introduction to Galerius, Octavius, and Marcus. I especially like how Marcus was introduced, showing off both his strengths and weaknesses as a character right away. This book looks to be well-edited; however, it annoyed me that the author uses commas to enclose dialogue rather than quotation marks. I will not be reading this book in the future, as I already have several books that I must get through first. I do think that this book has potential, however, and a lot of saving graces within the first couple chapters.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 10:58 pm by scratchcat318.

Tiny_Turtle

I am very hesitant about the cover. My initial reaction was that it was about something evil. Closer observation brought out subtle undertones of maybe a battle between good and evil..?? Yet, the evil vibe is much stronger. I would be more inclined to believe it's focus is the evil side of the underworld realm.

The title on its own would have piqued my interest, or at least grabbed my attention, simply because I enjoy exploring the realms of immortality. Then again, it leans towards the dark side in that one translation of "Immortal Requiem" could be "Undying Song for the Dead." Without the First 10 program, I would have passed on this book.

The details of the book, on Amazon, support my original assessment as to it's nature. It is about the dark creatures of the underworld. Yet, the premise of the story is intriguing. The title of the book explains it perfectly. The (dark) Immortals are dying. This narrative is their Requiem. Their song for the Dead.

For anyone who enjoys a dark fantasy, this would seem a perfect fit. Normally, I would want an author to pull me into their world, invoking an emotional response. Not so with the darker narrative. I prefer to be able to keep a safe distance, remaining an observer. I have a proclivity towards nightmares. Which is why the following reinforces my initial decision to not read this book: "He makes a supernatural take-over of our world seem possible!"(Amazon customer review)

There is an Official OnlineBookClub review where mention is made of the authors' talent for creating vivid images. I love finding an author with that talent. I'm wondering if he writes in other genre.

After reading the first ten pages, I am positive that I won't be able to make it through the whole book. The book is extremely well written and easy to get lost in. Vincent Bobbe wields a pen like a paintbrush, painting colorful pictures with words. So colorful that I had a hard time getting through parts of it. It's not like a movie where I can look away. I'm not saying it was over-the-top gory. It was just the right amount of gruesome for what the author was trying to portray. I'm just a little sensitive about these things. (My sister will love it.)

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice any errors, and I have no suggestions for improvements.

Taking into account that I only read the first ten pages, my favorite part was when the green eyed girl said, "Granted." Then vanished. I actually laughed. Served him right for being so disrespectful and arrogant. This was the part that tempted me. I would love to know how Marcus deals with the results. Yet, I know what would happen when I try to sleep, and my dreams are too real. Unfortunately, I will not be able to finish the book.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2018, at 11:27 pm by Tiny_Turtle.

ladycraic

I would not have chosen to sample Immortal Requiem apart from First Ten due to my lack of interest in the cover or title. The blurb, fortunately, emphasized the fact that this book contained graphic violence and was suitable for a mature reader. I don't know exactly what defines a mature audience - what I do know is that I'd rather avoid graphic descriptions of violence. The first ten pages were a bit confusing as I tried to comprehend who the Tattooed Beast was, along with the eight feet tall, lanky monster and also what the implications of the life force were. Overall, the first ten pages didn't convince me to read the rest of the book. I wasn't interested in the graphic scene that had previously transpired and I didn't have a sense of what to expect from the rest of the book. The official OBC review didn't have an effect on my opinion but further validated it with mention of the deaths of many characters and the graphic violence. This is something I can pass on. This book seemed professionally edited and I didn't notice any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 12:19 am by ladycraic.

Izesicle

Had I not actually sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would not have chosen to read or sample this book based on the genre. Fantasy books are rarely my cup of tea.
I am not going to buy and read the whole book because I am not a fan of fantasy books.
Based on what I read, the book seems like it was professionally edited. I didn't notice typo or grammar errors.
What I like the most in the bit I read is that the descriptions were well done. I could easily imagine the scene with the burnt psychic and healer. The sample made me curious as to why the tattooed man was hunting the giant.
What could be improved is nothing that I could think of.
The book has an Official OnlineBookClub review that I saw.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 12:37 am by Izesicle.

Mely918

I honestly don't think I would have read this book prior to sampling it. It doesn't seem like the type of novel that would appeal to me based on the cover and title. I still would've tried reading a few pages if I had seen it in a bookstore though. I don't like judging a book just by its cover. I did not particularly enjoy the parts of the book that I sampled. It was pretty confusing, for the most part, and I had a difficult time keeping up with the plot. I was glad that there were no obvious grammatical errors, however. I always appreciate a well edited book. I did enjoy the character conflict from the parts that I did read. I would have liked to know the characters a little bit better. That may have helped with the intensity of the conflict. Based on the official review for this book, it seems to be a great pick for those that enjoy fantasy.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 12:56 am by Mely918.

Sahani Nimandra

Immortals' Requiem by Vincent Bobbe is an urban fantasy-action read that tell a tale talking us back to 500 BC. The title cut straight clearly to the point about this book, and the cover illustration defines this read. The attitude that the cover illustration gave me was the fight between the Good vs. Evil.

The official OBC review left a positive impression in me. It was persuasive enough for me to read this book. The details mentioned were explicit and raw, which some readers may find it disturbing (not me). I felt the story was rushing itself. There weren't any hindrances while reading. I didn't not feel the urge to read this book further. Even though it provided a good visualization I never felt captivated by this read. Even though fantasy reads aren't my first choice some book are good enough to make it to my "want-to-read" shelf, but I don't see myself reading this book in the future.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 1:01 am by Sahani Nimandra.

daniya__shah3

"They think I am the god of Death. They beg you for deliverance."
I think the best selling technique is a hooking opening sentence, just like the one above which I found in this book. The cover choice is apt as well. Fantasy is always intriguing, I felt captivated by Cú Roí- an offspring of fairies from distinguished races. I loved the giant's own vocabulary, it added a strange kind of essence to the story. The chapters titled from ADs to BCs make the book more interesting. When I read the sample, I was completely stunned by the writer's way with the words, the book seems as if it's written by some classic writer. Also, the absence of errors make it more worthy of reading. However, since I have a lot in my current reading list, I'll not continue this book now, but I'll surely add it to my future reading list.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 1:01 am by daniya__shah3.

Dolor

Without The First Ten program, I would have chosen to read this book because I am into the genre, and the cover entices me to pick and read it. Reading the first ten pages made me felt sorry for the man and the woman kneeling at the giant's feet. Their legs had blistered and burned down to raw, blackened sticks. The world-building and the violence are very descriptive and well-crafted. Here are the slight errors I have seen in the first pages:

*Random Capitalization
True Tongue
Ring
Miracle Child
Bhargest

*Grammar Error
You are familiar with my Bhargest? - Are you...?

*Punctuation Error
These ... cubs ... cannot kill me. - These cubs... 

The author might have written those words purposefully to give stress to those words and statements. I don't have any suggestion to this professionally-edited book. Immortals' Requiem by Vincent Bobbe is a dark urban fantasy about the supernatural fight between the good (Grímnir) and the evil (Cú Roí), and their "coming back to life".

#Myths #Legends
#Immortals #MagicalCreatures

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 3:21 am by Dolor.

JR Mercier

I first read of Immortals' Requiem when I read the official review. The reviewer loved the book and made me want to read it too. The writing flows well and creates a suitably disturbing atmosphere. I love that the first ten pages introduces us to Cú Roí in 500 BC and that the author is not afraid of blood and gore. The death of the protagonist also creates a thrilling contrast to most novels that follow the 'hero never dies' formula. I saw no typos and the book looks professionally edited. I will be buying the book in the future but not today, to read when I have a bit more time and some more funds.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 4:09 am by JR Mercier.

RebeccasReading

This is not a book I would have normally read. I'm not a fan of science fiction. After reading the sample, my opinion is the same. I have no interest in the topic. The author has a very vivid writing style that I enjoyed. However, the content was very dark and graphic. The description of the torture happening was too much for me, especially so early in the book. I think more potential readers would select this book if there was less violence in the beginning. It seems to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 10:08 am by RebeccasReading.

ritah

Based on the cover and genre, I would have sampled the book because the cover looks intense and I often read books in this genre. I read the official review and the sampled Immortals Requiem. I liked that right from the start, the storyline turned out to be as intense as I imagined it would be. Thanks to the author's use of description, I could picture the tension between the giant and the tattooed man; I couldn't help but feel sorry for the man and woman held captive as there seemed to be no hope for them. The novel appears to be professionally edited as I did not spot any errors in the pages I read. I will be reading the rest of the book because I found the story captivating.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 12:13 pm by ritah.

ccrews0408

Based on the genre, had I not read the first 10 pages, I would not have read this book. I don't usually enjoy fantasy novels. Now that I have read the first 10 pages, I still don't plan on reading this book. As earlier stated, I don't enjoy fantasy novels and the fantasy element was immediately evident with non human entities. It was also a bit too gory right away. I didn't notice any typos or grammatical errors and there was an official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 1:07 pm by ccrews0408.

CrescentMoon

Based on the blurb, I would check this book out because the premise sounds so interesting and I love fantasy and supernatural genres. I like the mix of species and how this book includes vampires, werewolves, witches, and all sorts of mythical creatures. After reading the first ten pages, I didn't see any spelling or grammar errors and I was really impressed with the writing. I think the descriptions of the creatures and the dialogue was great. For example, I could clearly picture the ogre and tattooed man in the prologue due to the descriptions. I would love to read the rest of the book but I already have a long list of books I would like to read first, so I would like to get through those before I start this one. But I hope to one day read this.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 6:25 pm by CrescentMoon.

SamSim

Prior to reading the first 10 pages, this is not a book that would usually interest me. The cover is well done and the blurb is well written. The premise is fascinating. However, I do not read or watch horror and really try to avoid it whenever possible. The reviews are very positive and everything, so I believe the book is good - if you are a horror reader. The warning about graphic violence and the mention of vampires and zombies really assure me that this is not a story I would personally enjoy. After reading the sample, I agree with the reviewer that this is well written, for sure. It's highly descriptive and engaging and I had no trouble imagining what was being described. Unfortunately, for me, that's a downside with a book like this. I get mildly ill when I read about blood and gore. However, I only noticed one missing (debatable) comma, so I think the editing must be impeccable as well as the writing. Honestly, from all the sources I've observed, this appears to be an amazing book. It's just not one I would read, sensitive audience that I tend to be.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 8:26 pm by SamSim.

kfwilson6

I saw the OBC review for this book a few days before it was BOTD. I was absolutely captivated by the reviewer's synopsis and comments about this fantasy. Bobbe's story is just the kind of book I like to read, but maybe with a little less violence. I was ready to pick it up as soon as I saw the OBC review despite the warning about "collateral damage." After reading the sample, I was hooked. There are quite a few characters introduced right up front and I am curious to find out how they all tie together. I really enjoy stories that are told from the point of view of various characters rather than just one. I think there is a lot more to learn about what they are thinking and the events that are happening with this approach. There was nothing I didn't like and I didn't notice any errors.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 8:27 pm by kfwilson6.

KRay93

The cover has a striking design that is very appropriate for what the blurb proposes. The official review highlights the storytelling work of the author and warns about violence and the number of deaths present in the book. The first ten pages revolve around a prologue in which the protagonist, the antagonist, and the central conflict are introduced in an effective way. The prose is fluid and it has a particular style that is very appropriate for the genre in question. The editing work looks impeccable since I did not find any grammatical errors or typos. Dark fantasy novels with mature tone are usually of my preference, and both the premise and the prose of this book are to my liking. I will continue reading it.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 9:12 pm by KRay93.

MarisaRose

The fantasy genre is so overwhelming to me that books like “Immortals’ Requiem” just don’t have any appeal. The blurb for this book makes it sound like many other books in this category. Similarly, although the OBC review was very positive, the reviewer didn’t mention anything that made this book sound unique. Thus, this isn’t a book I would purchase blindly, and the review didn’t sway my opinion. After sampling the first ten pages, my initial impression didn’t change. I felt the writing was rather uninteresting, and the dialogue especially was choppy and unnatural. Additionally, I dislike when strange names are used. It makes it difficult to know how to pronounce them. Lastly, the sample jumped a lot in time, starting in 500 BC and moving to 82 AD, yet the language and dialogue style didn’t change; this irked me a bit. However, I didn’t notice any grammatical errors in the text. Based on the sample, I wasn’t hooked by anything, and there was more I disliked than liked, so I don’t plan to read any more of this book.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 9:40 pm by MarisaRose.

Sarah_Khan

Even though I am a fan of supernatural books, the blurb on amazon does not give enough information to tell me what will make this book unique. After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this book is professionally edited. I liked that it starts from BC and then goes to AD, I also liked the prophecy feel the writing has. I did not have time to read the OBC review, and maybe given more details about the plot it would have changed my mind.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 10:12 pm by Sarah_Khan.

meadhbh

I love epic fantasy novels, and based on the OnlineBookClub review I particularly loved the sound of this book, so I probably would have sampled it even if it was not for this programme. There are some graphic images in the first ten pages, but there is already a sense of the vast mythology that makes up the world of this novel. The move to Roman times for the second chapter builds on this. I didn't notice any errors and there is nothing I would change. I will definitely be buying and reading this book, as I'm incredibly eager to find out more about this world.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2018, at 11:30 pm by meadhbh.

Kat Berg

I really appreciate that this book comes with an advisory on Amazon and that it is for graphic violence, not erotica. I like to know what I am getting into when I start to read a new author, and the warning helps me brace myself, but also helps me to know that I may not want to recommend it to everyone. When looking at the blurbs and book availability, my one regret is that it doesn't have an audiobook version. That always increases the likelihood that I will get around to reading a book when I have so many on my list. It starts out quite intense with deaths right from pretty much the first sentence, yet the writing is not just graphic, it is poetic, almost lyrical at times. The description draws me into the book and that is my favorite part. I do plan on reading this book. It is well edited and I did not notice any mistakes. The only thing that I can see could use improvement is that at the beginning it is a bit hard to keep the numerous characters straight. Who's the bad guy? Who's the good guy? Probably a danger of the fast pace. I did read the OBC review, and I do plan on reading the book.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2018, at 12:11 am by Kat Berg.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb and OBC review. I don't usually read Sci-Fi or fantasy books, and this one didn't seem like it'd be an exception. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. The descriptions really painted a picture. For example, I could really imagine the giant when he was described. While I liked the description of the characters, I didn't like the description of the violence. It was just too much for me. I don't want to read a book with this much violence. I also am not really a fan of fantasy, so all the different species weren't for me. The book did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2018, at 12:58 am by anneloretrujillo.

CataclysmicKnight

I was intrigued by Immortal’s Requiem from the moment I saw it, so I have no doubt that I would’ve checked it out if I randomly came across it. As a fan of fantasy and the paranormal I had high expectations, and so far I’m not at all let down. The prologue was action-packed and held a great deal of interesting pieces that I’m excited to see play out, and the writing is smooth and definitely professionally edited. I haven’t seen any kind of negative yet really, aside from perhaps the fact that this will likely be a rather gory book from the prologue. I definitely want to read the rest!

First Ten review added on July 5, 2018, at 1:14 am by CataclysmicKnight.

klwoodford

I am a huge fan of fantasy and wanted to read this novel as soon as I saw it was Book of the Day. The title sparked my curiosity and makes me think of a dangerous dance between light and dark. The cover is very interesting in that it is unique and offers a glimpse into the story's characters. I would have sampled this book even if I were not a part of this program. The official OBC review was very passionate and resulted in reinforcing my desire to read this novel. It seems to be professionally edited as I have not come across any errors while reading the sample. I plan on buying and finishing this book. The author creates imagery that touched my senses. There was one part in the story where Mark plunges a syringe filled with silver and cyanide into his heart, and it was like I could feel and see it happening. I applaud the author for taking the time to create such vivid scenes, settings, and characters. One thing I wish the the author would have included is a brief origin story for Cu Roi. The beginning of the book is filled with action that immediately grabbed me, but as it continued I found myself wondering how he came to be the villain he is. I'm hoping such explanations come about as the novel progresses.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2018, at 1:41 am by klwoodford.

IsabelMay

The cover is a bit cheap and the summary reveals absolutely nothing new, it's too general and only describes the genre of this story. Therefore, I only sampled it because of his program. Despite good reviews, I wasn't impressed by the sample. The author has a distinct writing style that isn't my cup of tea, even though I like to read fantasy. The description (that's too long for my taste) is creative but most of the time unnecessary, I have an impression it's only meant to fill the page. The story is at least edited, though. I like the creativity when it comes to the characters' names, for example Cú Roí, Camhlaidh and others, but the dialogue lines are sometimes too modern for the time several chapters are set in. Also, every chapter is about another character, it's a bit too much information to take in at once and I have to admit it's rather confusing. All in all, I won't be buying the book.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2018, at 1:50 am by IsabelMay.

va2016

The title and the cover did not excite me to go through the book. As I went through the Amazon summary of the book, it clearly showed that it's a genre that I am not interested in, irrespective of the 30+ customer reviews that gave an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. I would not have sampled the book if not for the First Ten program. As I went through the book, I found the narration to be gruesome with two characters, a tattooed man and a 8-feet giant punishing a couple of humans, with the giant explaining why he caught those couple - a man who can see the future, and the woman who can heal. Their legs are being burnt in a pire and the giant is enjoying the scene. The giant as well as the tattooed man are extra-terrestials and they don't care about the humans. I don't like this story line right from the beginning, and hence I am not going to read the book in full. I found the book to be professionally edited, and I didn't find any grammatical or mechanical errors. I didn't like anything about the book, nor do I have feedback for improvement of the book. I found an OBC review that gave 4 out 4 stars for the book, but my decision to not to read the book in full is based on my own sampling.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2018, at 4:34 am by va2016.

Gravy

This may have caught my eye, had I come across it. The genre, cover, and blurb are all things I like. (The cover is especially notable.) The sample confirmed that this is something that interests me.
I only noted one possible (probable?) error. This part of a sentence, "the marrow sucked into worm mouths," I believe is supposed to be "warm mouths." A funny little typo.
The gore doesn't really bother me, at least not any that I read in the first ten, and the fae-like factor pushes this farther into my personal tastes.
There was a review for this book, but it having one or not does not affect my opinion.
I'm very interested in this book, but want to look into it further before committing to reading it as I would be investing in the physical copy. Because of this I must answer with a soft no.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2018, at 4:43 am by Gravy.

ButterscotchCherrie

I wouldn't have sampled this without the program as I'm not reading much fantasy at the moment. I also won't buy and read this today on the basis of the first ten pages because I found the gore unpleasant. The OnlineBookClub review also confirmed that there is a lot of killing in the book. I didn't find any errors, so this appears professionally edited. What I liked was how the story appeared to start in a fantasy world, with a giant and mythical creatures like Barghest. However, from the dates and the references to Romans and Druids, it became clear that this is set in our world, which I found intriguing. Nothing needs to be improved for those who don't object to graphic violence; as I say, I found it unpleasant to read about charred flesh and bleeding.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2018, at 5:13 am by ButterscotchCherrie.

Vickie Noel

So, I started reading this book with one eye open, sort of. The OBC review had been quite exquisite to say the least. Still, I couldn't reconcile such joy to the cover art and even the title. Heck, I didn't even know what it meant. On my own, I'd have strolled past. While reading the sample, I loved the powerful personification and imagery employed but I was already growing listless when I didn't immediately see dialogue. However, Marcus' scene with his friends and the sudden appearance of the spirit maiden spiked my interest several heights. I'm intrigued and curious to see how Marcus fares with the wish he chose from the maiden. It's noteworthy that there isn't any error in this book and I know there's nothing really for me to suggest by way of improvement. This one's been certified.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2018, at 5:51 am by Vickie Noel.

hsimone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this book. The cover is a bit too creepy for my taste, but the title is appealing. I believe the blurb gives a good idea of what the book will be about, and it might have been of interest to me. However, the OBC reviewer does share that there is a lot of graphic violence and bloodshed within the book. This is something I do not enjoy, and even though the customer reviews are positive, I'm afraid the violence seems too much for me. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be edited well. I was bit confused when the tattooed man went up against Cú Roí toward the beginning, but by the end of the Prologue, it was a bit clearer. Then, the jump to Marcus, the Maiden of Earth and Water, and the other Romans seemed out of place. I understand it's meant to show how Marcus becomes immortal, but the shift was too quick. The switch to Camhlaidh and Samual also threw me off as I didn't expect so many character perspectives to happen so quickly. In general, I worry about the constant switching and the upcoming violence. Therefore, I do not plan on buying and finishing this read.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2018, at 6:45 am by hsimone.

bb587

The cover is dark and a bit scary. I like sci-fi and can handle a little horror, but I don't enjoy extremely graphic violence. The synopsis and review had me interested in the underlying plot but I was hesitant. After reading the beginning, I don't think I can handle this book. It was well-written, and I didn't find any mistakes in the text, but the description of the charred and blackened legs of the captives was gruesome and disturbing.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2018, at 7:58 am by bb587.

Total ~ 33%

Immortals' Requiem earned a score of 33%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 33% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Immortals' Requiem