Cover for The Girl Who Knew da Vinci

The First Ten Feedback for The Girl Who Knew da Vinci: Out of Time Triller

Because The Girl Who Knew da Vinci was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

ZenaLei7

After reading the first ten pages, I decided to finish reading the book. The sample was pretty interesting and I like to read thrillers. The beginning of the sample hooked me in as I read about how Sophia was trying to run away from the war with her lover. I do like the book cover and title so if I were to sample the book based on just the cover and title, I probably would have chosen to sample it because they both look interesting. While reading the sample, I didn't notice any grammatical errors either. I also did not see an official OBC review for this book which would have been more helpful in making a decision on whether I should read this book or not. There isn't anything I would change anything about this book.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 12:11 pm by ZenaLei7.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

gali

I probably would have sampled the book on my own as I love the genre. The cover and blurb had me intrigued, and the official review further sparked my interest. A thriller in the vein of The Da Vinci Code and revolving around missing Leonardo da Vinci painting sounds good. The book started in the past and then moved to the present. While I liked the way the author set up the scenes, I found the present scenes much more interesting than those in the past. The book appears to be well edited, which is a plus. As much as I love books that combine mystery, history, and paranormal, I am not that fond of time jumps. If the book was free, I would have read it anyway. As it isn't, and my reading list is overwhelming, I won't read it right now.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 12:21 pm by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

desantismt_17

This book’s title caught my eye. I’d seen it was BOTM and looked at the description before. I’m not usually a big fan of thrillers, but this one looked interesting. Before sampling, I thought about reading this. It was a tough decision, but after sampling and reading some comments in the Facebook discussion, I will give this a shot. The writing didn’t pull me in as much as I’d hoped, but the comments of others about the missing painting, combination of multiple genres, and the mixture of modern and historical settings made me want to know what happens. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed a few missing commas, but those were few and far-between. The sense of place is very well done. I felt right there in the Uffizi, cowering from the bombing outside. The secret passages were also interesting, and I felt like I, too, had actually spend time learning the Uffizi’s secrets. I didn’t see an OnlineBookClub.org review, and I wish I had.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 12:46 pm by desantismt_17.

Yolimari

I would have sampled this book without this program because I like the cover and title of the book. The OBC review convinced me to read this book because the storyline reminds me of The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I also like art and historical fiction. After reading the sample pages, I thought the book was professionally edited. I loved how the book starts with Sophia and Gerhard hiding in the Uffizi and planning to escape Florence. They have a painting, and I want to know why. I also like stories that mix historical fiction with other genres. I will read this book because I liked everything about it.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 1:06 pm by Yolimari.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read pure romance books. However, the caption made me curious about the plot of the book. Having read the sample, I felt like I could connect to the main characters (specially Sophia, Gerhard and Angela). Further, I liked the author's writing style. I thought that the language used was simple and the descriptions (of scenes) were brief but sufficient. However, having read the synopsis of the book, I found the plot slightly complicated. The book seems professionally edited. Since the plot seems complicated to me, I do not think I will buy the book today.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 1:15 pm by AA1495.

CataclysmicKnight

If I came across this book naturally, I'm sure I would've checked it out. The cover is great and I enjoyed a sample of another Belle Ami book in the past. So far I was right to be excited: the first ten pages included a chapter and a half, with one in the past during a bombing by Germany and the other in current day. Both have been interesting, and Belle Ami's writing is as polished as ever with perfect editing. However, I find it hard to convince myself to spend $5 on a book when I already have so many books to read, so for now I can't commit to buying and finishing it. That's the only negative I can think of with an otherwise great book!

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 1:31 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

KristyKhem

The cover, title, and blurb all aroused my interest because I am an artist and the book seems to be centered on art and the famous painter, Da Vinci. I read the first ten pages with great expectation and it did not disappoint. I enjoyed the glimpses into the past and appreciated the budding romance that seems to be linked with reincarnation and past lives. What an exciting concept! In addition to this, there seem to be elements of mystery and suspense in it as well. I would definitely buy this one. I think this book is professionally edited and I saw no noteworthy errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 1:50 pm by KristyKhem.

Kendra M Parker

I picked up this book before it became the BOTD because it is the book of the month. If it had not been for that, I would have passed it by. The cover and title are too reminiscent of the Da. Vinci Code, and I really did not want to dive down a rabbit hole like that one again. Once I read more about this one, though, I did find that I was more interested in it. Now that I have read the start of the book, I find myself more interested. The past lives regression and the love story that is woven through them has been fun. I look forward to finding out how Angela finds that painting! The story is well written and clearly edited. I’m definitely going to finish this book.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 2:13 pm by Kendra M Parker.

SamSim

Prior to reading the first 10 pages, this book interested me. I love historical fiction, especially mysteries, and the fact that it's related to a lost item (in this case, a piece of art) is an added bonus. I expect suspense because a third party is also in search of the painting and, apparently, will stop at nothing. The premise sounds endlessly interesting and reminds me fondly of an Indiana Jones movie, but perhaps "softer." The only problem I have with the blurb on Amazon is a rogue comma in this sentence: "Art historian Angela Renatus, is haunted by dreams of Leonardo da Vinci and a mysterious painting of Giuliano Medici and his mistress Fioretta Gorini." I wish there was more than 1 customer review, but at least that one is positive. It mentions romance, which I wasn't expecting from the blurb, but made me even more interested in reading the book. This novel definitely sounds like it has all the ingredients to make me gobble it up. After reading the sample, I'm even more intrigued. The supernatural angle attracts me (reminding me even more of Indiana Jones). I do wonder if tracking 3 plot lines in three different time periods won't get confusing. I want to know what happens between Angela and Alex. I want to know what happened to Sophia and Gerhard. I only noticed one error, in chapter 1, and it was just an unnecessary comma: "Her eyes, still the color of forest green moss." There was some redundancy with the words "young," "visceral," and "lavish," which I found a tad distracting. Overall, the tone, the premise, the romance, the history, the unexplained, and the perfect balance of showing/telling while introducing the characters and their situations all culminate in my really wanting to read this book. I did not see an official Online Book Club review for this novel, but that doesn't really affect my opinion. However, I don't want to read it badly enough right now to drop $4.99 on it. Maybe if it was a hard copy, I would, but for digital, I don't want to pay that much. I therefore am going to add it to my Amazon wish list but I'm not going to download it today.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 2:15 pm by SamSim.

bb587

Nothing about this book has interested me. I'm just not interested in this genre. I read the beginning and still don't want to read more. The prologue was sweet. I'm a total sucker for romance, especially when it's unlikely. Then chapter one got into some present day sexual harassment, and it disgusted me. However, nothing hooked my interest enough to continue reading. I did not find any editing mistakes.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 2:41 pm by bb587.

MsTri

I don't like the cover or title for this book because it reminds me too much of "The DaVinci Code", which I didn't care for. The synopsis didn't change my mind, and since there wasn't an official OBC review, I didn't read any others' opinions on the tome; I doubt any reviews would have persuaded me otherwise though. I also didn't really like the sample, but it was nice to see that it seems to be professionally edited. Even so, I don't have any suggestions for changes. The one part that did catch my interest for a moment was the scene where Alex caught the young lady staring at the picture before he witnessed the picture come to life.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 2:45 pm by MsTri.

lavellan

I probably would have not read the sample of The Girl Who Knew da Vinci if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. There wasn't a Book of the Day review for it so I wasn't sure what to expect. The book seemed like it was professionally edited and I did not notice any errors while reading. I enjoyed that the author took a new approach to the mysteries behind da Vinci's paintings. However, the writing style was a little dry and I would have liked to have learned a little bit more about the characters in the prologue. As a result, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 3:44 pm by lavellan.

cpru68

Perfect artwork for this book as it is centered around the time period of Leonardo DaVinci and it has that feel to it. The escape of Sophia Caro and her German lover Gerhard Jaeger starts this book off just right. I liked how it began with the two of them coming up with a plan on how to escape the wrath of Germany invading by fleeing to a family vineyard by way of secret corridors. With a baby on the way, it only added intensity to this part of the story. With the next part of the book jumping to 2018, it was a nice touch because it leaves the reader to wonder how the past is going to tie in with the future. Angela Renatas, a young intern, is having reoccurring dreams of Leonardo as the tale begins to unfold with hints that the dreams may be memories for her. The villain, her boss, Dr. Alberto Scordato is out to find the missing DaVinci, so that is another element of intensity. Angela doesn't realize she is being monitored by him as she goes into a trance wherein she speaks of secrets that may lead Scordato to the missing artwork. Throw in the love interest, Alex Caine, and now it's a thriller with a little historical romance. This book is very well written. I did not see any errors in grammar, spelling or punctuation. As of now, I won't be reading it due to other obligations, but it looks to be a good one!

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 4:19 pm by cpru68.

kfwilson6

I was absolutely hooked by the words "in the spirit of The Da Vinci Code." I absolutely loved that the title and cover of this book gave me the impression this might be a similar story. I was already planning to read this book before seeing it as the BoTD because the storyline has me completely captivated. The sample just convinced me I was making the right decision to read this book. The prologue alone is interesting with the inclusion of a painting being secreted away out of a gallery through a hidden passage. I didn't notice any errors in the sample. I will be finishing this book very soon!

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 4:35 pm by kfwilson6.

ccrews0408

Based on the Amazon review and it being the BOTM, had I not read the first 10 pages, I would have read this book. The review sounds quite mysterious and complex. Now that I have read the first 10 pages, I plan on reading this book. The first 10 pages only covers the prologue, which seems like it is setting the book up for a great plot. It keeps you intrigued enough to want to know the purpose of going back in history and telling that story. I didn't notice any typos or grammatical errors and there was an official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 4:53 pm by ccrews0408.

micoleon13

This is a great cover page which ties in well with the title. Both got my attention and I was looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately, there was no OnlineBookClub review to give me more of an idea of the story. The pages which I read were well written and edited and it started a story which I was interested in. I liked how it started off in wartime Italy then jumped to the present time. I was interested in finding where the two sides meet up. I would like to continue reading this book and I have no ideas for improvement.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 6:09 pm by micoleon13.

JuliaKay

The cover is just stunning, and the title certainly makes me want to find out more about the book. I might as well say that the author's name is beautiful as well. From the blurb and reviews I've read, this book sounds amazing. Although I did read that it seemed slightly paranormal, which I am unsure about. The quote at the beginning of the book had me hooked because it is so relevant. I like the love story combined with the war, and anything with Italian art and history is enchanting. I love books that start with a prologue from the past and then jump to the future and tie events together. There are no errors in the first pages that I noticed. I do think there are slightly too many adjectives, making some paragraphs unnecessarily long and boring and not allowing for as much imagination use. The first ten pages draw me further into the story and were a pleasant surprise, actually improving my original guess. I will certainly read this book.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 7:03 pm by JuliaKay.

Snowflake

The title and cover are very well done and give an excellent idea of the tone and idea of the book. I also liked the Amazon blurb. It was a bit long for my taste but it did a good job of outlining the story without giving too much away. I quite likely would have sampled this book without the first ten pages program. The sample was well written. I did not notice any obvious typos or grammar errors. I liked the style of the writing and felt like I got a good understanding of the characters right away. I felt in the story immediately. I didn’t think I would like the story so much since I read the DaVinci code and found it just ok. However, I really liked the style and tone of this book. Unless I really like the characters, I can get a bit tired of books dealing with the super bad guy while trying to solve the puzzle. In this case, I already like the characters and I’m curious about how the rest of the book will play out. I plan to purchase and read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 7:28 pm by Snowflake.

BunnySTx

After reading a sample of, The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami, I have decided that I will not be purchasing this book today. When I first saw the cover for this book my interest was not piqued. The title made me a bit curious, but not a lot. As I read the blurb, I was not engaged in the story. I wanted something more to spice up the book for me. The author raises some questions, but on a level, they seem far-fetched. I want some backstory about the painting. As I read a few pages of this book, my interest is slightly piqued. I like that the author starts the story back during the war. This fact engages my interest in the story. I'm curious about Sophia and her lover. I like that during this encounter with these two characters the author touches on the painting. If I had not read a sample of this book, I would not have picked it up. Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does not have an official OnlineBookClub review. This fact does impact my decision concerning this book. The lack of a review caused me to hesitate concerning this book. I will not be purchasing this book, but I will put it on my to-be-read shelf.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 7:42 pm by BunnySTx.

Kat Berg

Everything about this book drew me in. The blurbs that I read, the cover, the first ten pages...it is all lovely and the style of writing that I enjoy when I am looking for something light and engaging. The sample that I have read seems professionally edited, and I noticed no mistakes. I enjoy the paranormal aspect of the book and it seems very well-done, just hinting at first of what is coming. The author did a great job of drawing all those first little hooks of identities together by the end of the first chapter and it makes me want to keep reading. The thing that could be improved is the last conversation at the end of chapter one between Alex and Scordato. It seemed just a little too short for the level of dislike. I do plan on reading the rest of this book. I did read the official OBC review.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 9:02 pm by Kat Berg.

ladycraic

I would not have chosen to sample The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci seeing as neither the title nor the cover indicated I would find this novel interesting. The blurb painted a rich story of an unforgettable mystery in my mind. Though the idea of a reincarnation thriller intrigued me, I found that my interest didn't last beyond the first few pages of the sample. In addition, I found it odd how Angela and Alex seem to each have two separate past lives and that somehow suggests they had a past relationship. I'm confused on the dynamics of their relationship, to say the least. I will not proceed with the rest of this story due to my lack of interest in the plot. The official OBC review also mentioned that it takes a while for the thrill to pick up in the story. Seeing as I had an initial disinterest while reading the first few pages, I'm not fond of the idea of waiting for some action to occur. This book seemed professionally edited and I didn't notice any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 9:36 pm by ladycraic.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book because the cover is great and I love the blurb. After reading the sample I have not changed my mind. The story was really interesting so far, and I really like how some thoughts were italicized to give insight into character minds. The end of the sample also ended things on a very anticipatory note, so I am excited to see where it goes. It was professionally edited. I did not read the official review but that did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 9:42 pm by psychopathycathy.

britt13

This book had no official review which I found odd since I believe it is the book of the month. That was a bit concerning to me. Nevertheless, I read the first ten pages. I am now totally hooked! I love the relationship between Sophia and Gerhard. I also love the time period in which this is set. I found no errors in the writing and I enjoyed its structure. The sample of it left me wanting more. While I would love to buy it today I do not have the funds, so I will add it to the top of my list to buy in the future!

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 10:47 pm by britt13.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and description of this book, I would not have read it. Although it looked interesting, I'm not interested enough in art and or crime thrillers to pay for it. After reading the first ten pages, I didn't change my mind. I enjoyed the author's approach to the first ten pages in the book. The first chapter got the reader hooked by introducing the backstory in the midst of action, whereas the next couple chapters were able to introduce the characters and their surroundings (as well as the conflict to come). There wasn't anything particular that I would have wanted changed in the sample that I read. Simply because the topic didn't interest me enough for me to want to pay for the book, I will not be buying and reading the rest of this book. It does, however, look well written and edited. The lack of an official OBC review didn't affect my decision at all, but it would have helped me to understand what the story was about.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2018, at 11:41 pm by Scerakor.

va2016

The title and the cover of the book are indicative of the theme of the book. The cover is attractive. I would have selected the book for reading even if not for the First Ten program because I liked what I read about the thrill and the adventure in the book from the Amazon introduction. Although there is only one customer review available for the book, I found one OBC review that gave 3 out of 4 stars rating, and a blurb that said anyone who likes a thriller would enjoy the book, so I am going to read this book in full. As I sampled through the book for the first two chapters, I found the story intriguing with an art piece coming to life, etc., which solidified my decision to read the book in full. I found the book to be professionally edited, and I didn't find any mechanical or grammatical errors. What I liked most about the book is its relation with art, and the intriguing thrill. I could not find anything that could be improved in the book. Although I found an OBC review for the book, the review didn't influence me in my decision to read the book in full.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2018, at 12:46 am by va2016.

cristinaro

Since "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" is June BOTM, I have already read it to be able to participate in the challenging discussions on the BOTM forum. The first ten program gives me another chance to express my opinion of the novel. If it had not been for the OBC community, I would not have checked the novel because the cover and the title reminds me of Dan Brown's novel and I would have assumed this is nothing but a replica of that book. However, the Amazon blurb is very well written and hints at the paranormal elements of the story. There are no editorial reviews and only 1 cutomer review, but I am sure things will change in time. I am glad that Belle Ami thought of including the prologue as well as the first three chapters in the Amazon sample. In this way, the readers understand the story is going to take place in three temporal dimensions and follows three couples. My favourite couple is Fioretta - Giuliano perhaps because their love story is set in 15th century Florence and has a Renaissance flavor. I could not find any typos or grammar mistakes. The writer's style is easy to follow and she knows how to create suspense. I have read Bookowlie's review and I think many people will start reading the book because of the great description in the review. I would give the book 3 out of 4 stars because I would have liked to see more historical and mystery elements included.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2018, at 2:58 am by cristinaro.

JR Mercier

I was first intrigued by The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci when I saw the beautiful cover. The title furthered that curiosity until I finally read the sample. Reading the first ten pages cemented that decision - I was thoroughly enthralled. I noticed no typos and the writing brilliantly complements the atmosphere of the story. I'm no art buff but the thought of reincarnation and Leonardo Da Vinci hooked me

First Ten review added on June 8, 2018, at 4:40 am by JR Mercier.

Christina O Phillips

The title is simple yet it and the cover caught my eye. The summary also interested me and not just because I liked The Da Vinci Code. Without this program, I would have read this sample anyway. I noticed a couple errors with punctuation, but nothing major that distracted from reading. I enjoyed the opening, wanting to know more about Sophia and if they are able to escape safely, but the way it was written read like a bad romance. The dialogue felt unnatural and forced. The chapter set in 2018 was more interesting and better written.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2018, at 11:20 am by Christina O Phillips.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I think I would check this book out because I really enjoyed the Da Vinci Code and I think the premise is really interesting. After reading the first ten pages, I didn't see any spelling or grammar errors. I really like the writing style, it's very descriptive and flows well. I'm curious to see how the art mystery unfolds and the danger Angela will face later on in the book. I would love to read this book later. I can't right now unfortunately due to lack of time, but this seems like a really adventurous book and I would love to read it later.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2018, at 11:22 am by CrescentMoon.

meadhbh

I enjoyed reading The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown, so based on the title, cover, blurb, and OnlineBookClub review, I was intrigued by this book. When I saw that it was available to review in exchange for a free copy, I accepted the opportunity before even having read the first ten pages. Having now read the first ten pages, they have merely confirmed that I made the right decision. Angela seems like a really interesting character, and the hints at the more supernatural elements are very well done and fascinating. The prologue, which is set in 1944, offers an interesting background to the story. The only grammar mistakes I noticed were missing opening quotation marks in two places, and other than this it seemed professionally edited. I'm very intrigued by the story, and after reading the first ten pages I found myself unable to put it down, so this is a definite yes from me.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2018, at 11:27 am by meadhbh.

DancingLady

I’ve been excited about this book for a while and was very glad to get the opportunity to review it. The first 10 pages set a very interesting scene and immediately made me wonder what painting is being smuggled out of the museum and whether both Sophia and Gerhard will safely make it out of Florence. I found no errors so far and the text has very good flow. I will be reading the rest of the book in a few days.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2018, at 11:32 am by DancingLady.

RebeccasReading

This is a book I would have normally read. I enjoy historical fiction and thrillers--this book has both. After reading the sample, my opinion is the same. I am very interested to read the rest of this story and see how the mystery plays out. I think the author developed the characters and the story very well. I am curious to see how these characters from the past relate to the modern day story. At this time, there is nothing that stood out to me as needing improvement. It was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2018, at 11:53 am by RebeccasReading.

ritah

I like the cover and I usually read books in this genre, based on that I would have sampled the book. I read the official review. I like that the narrative has aspects of romance and history. I was drawn in right from the start, I could feel pregnant Sophia's panic at their predicament; I liked how her partner, Gerhard, constantly reassured her. I found the story captivating which is why I will be reading the rest of the book. I did not find any errors in the pages I read.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2018, at 3:46 pm by ritah.

MarisaRose

I've previously read a book by Belle Ami, and for the most part, I liked it. That being said, I would consider reading this book based on the plot synopsis and my previous experience with the author's writing. I didn't notice an OBC review for this book, but the lack of one didn't sway my opinion, as I reacted positively to this author in the past. After sampling the first ten pages, I was immediately intrigued by the prologue. The prologue is set in 1944 Italy, and I thought the author adequately captured the fear of the main protagonist during this turbulent historical time. I wanted to know more about the young couple described in the prologue, but I was also interested in finding out how this historical period related to the present day characters we are introduced to. I didn't notice any grammatical errors in the sample, and overall, I really had no complaints. I look forward to reading more of this book!

First Ten review added on June 8, 2018, at 4:09 pm by MarisaRose.

melissy370

I would not read this book because it is compared to The DaVinci Code, which I did not like. The sample did not change my mind and I still would not read it. There was some nice intrigue and suspense with figuring out what was going on with Sophia. What I didn't like the most was the allusion to Sophia and Alex having past lives. Not something I believe in. The story was well written and there were no errors.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2018, at 4:54 pm by melissy370.

ViziVoir

This book seems to have trouble adhering to the adage, "show, don't tell". It felt awkward that Sophia said out loud that Gerhard was an art historian rather than a soldier, as this is something both characters would already know, and it seemed like she was saying this only for the reader's benefit. Also, the book directly states that the painting was a point of contention, rather than showing this through dialogue. I also noticed some missing commas, and the official review states that there are several errors in the rest of the book, too. It's unlikely I would've sampled this book on my own, as its cover doesn't seem particularly exciting, and romantic thrillers aren't one of my preferred genres. The story seems exciting, and I liked how distinct the characters were in the sample, but I won't be reading the rest of this book due to the genre and grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2018, at 7:52 pm by ViziVoir.

KRay93

The cover is somewhat striking and has an artistic design that goes hand in hand with what the blurb proposes. The official review shows an effective mix of several elements, including some of paranormal nature. The first ten pages include a prologue placed at the end of World War II that effectively introduces the main conflict, followed by the first chapter and the introduction of the protagonist. The prose is fluent and very appropriate for a thriller, and I did not notice grammatical errors or typos. Although the presence of paranormal elements bring me some doubts, the premise and a great job regarding the historical setting attract my attention. I will continue reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2018, at 9:29 pm by KRay93.

L_Therese

This was a book that I would consider reading even without this program. It sounds exciting and interesting, and I've enjoyed similar books in the past. As I began reading the first ten pages, though, I noticed quite a few editing mistakes - mostly having to do with commas missing or added incorrectly. Although the opening scenes seemed pretty exciting, the quality of the writing was not sufficiently good that I wanted to finish the book. I'll pass this time.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2018, at 11:57 pm by L_Therese.

IsabelMay

The cover is interesting and the description reveals a bit too much, but it seems like an original story so perhaps I'd sample it on my own. Judging by the sample, the book seems edited and I find the story rather well-written. There's a bit too much dialogue sometimes, but that's still better than having to read a ton of description. I only wish the chapters would be a bit longer and more dynamic. I'm interested in what's going to happen next, so I'll be buying the book. I've recently watched a crime TV series with a similar premise, an art historian and a detective working together on a case, I liked it a lot so I hope it will be the same with this book. The reviews are positive, but I judge only by the sample anyway.

First Ten review added on June 9, 2018, at 1:30 am by IsabelMay.

Sarah_Khan

I like the cover and title of this book. I would have picked it up because it makes me think of The Da Vinci Code. The first ten pages were very well-written and professionally edited. I liked that the beginning starts with action but also with love. I also like that the writing does not have too much description. I look forward to reading the rest. I did not see an OBC review and I do not think I needed to.

First Ten review added on June 9, 2018, at 1:32 am by Sarah_Khan.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book without this program. The cover and title drew me in right away because they reminded me of The Da Vinci Code. The blurb also mentioned it was like that book. I liked The Da Vinci Code, so I was interested in this book. The OBC review also made the book sound good. After reading the first ten pages, I will be finishing this book. I was pulled in by the prologue. I love World War II era books, so I'm excited that this book has part of the story during the war. I also want to know what happens to the painting and who will find it. There wasn't anything I didn't like. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on June 9, 2018, at 2:31 am by anneloretrujillo.

ButterscotchCherrie

I probably wouldn't have sampled this on the basis of the cover and description as I have a long reading list at the moment. I will buy and read it on the basis of the first ten pages because the plot and art themes seem interesting. The book seems professionally edited as I noticed no errors. I liked the descriptions of the Uffizi best. In terms of what could be improved, the dialogue sounded unnatural at times. I didn't see an OnlineBookClub review; my decision was influenced by the fact that this is book of the month.

First Ten review added on June 9, 2018, at 3:29 am by ButterscotchCherrie.

Momiji1987

I enjoyed the opening chapter and the characters of Sophia and her German suitor so much I was a little sad that the time skipped from WWII to 2018. Still, the mystery of Gerhard ‘s painting looks to be an intriguing one that Angela will be involved in in some capacity. I like that the author is able to continue the reader’s interest by automatically coming up with a new engaging issue, which is Angela’s problems with her boss. This book is definitely a page turner. I also love the cover image, it is very reminiscent of Da Vinci, so kudos to the artist. The editing looks impeccable, I couldn’t find any flaws. I don’t read a lot of fiction, but if I searched for a good book to read, I would definitely look forward to reading this one. The book review was very positive and mentioned how character driven this novel is, which is something I love in my choice of books. I can’t get it today, but will definitely be adding this book to my list for future reading.

First Ten review added on June 9, 2018, at 4:48 am by Momiji1987.

Mercy Bolo

This book's cover intrigued me and its title had me eager to sample it. The absence of an official OBC review, however, did not deter me from moving past the cover. When I read the first ten pages, I liked that at her new job, Angela expressed her displeasure at being handed less than she bargained for and was vocal about it. Due to the absence of noticeable grammatical errors, it's safe to conclude that the book underwent professional editing. I will, however, not read the rest of the book because my to-read list is already too long. As it is, there's nothing I would change about the bit I read.

First Ten review added on June 9, 2018, at 5:08 am by Mercy Bolo.

Bianka Walter

I enjoyed the sample of this book. It alluded to a mystery romance with some beautiful historical imagery. The author has a brilliant way of making the scenery come alive, and I thoroughly enjoyed the well edited writing. This is not a book that I would usually read, and after reading the numerous glowing reviews, it is very difficult to say no to. I am, however, not going to be reading this book today. The first ten pages weren't gripping enough for me to want to read on. Because of the review, I have a good idea of what to expect from this book, but I am not interested in the storyline.

First Ten review added on June 9, 2018, at 6:17 am by Bianka Walter.

hsimone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this book mainly due to the fact that I am not interested in reading about art, including Da Vinci. Therefore, the title, cover, and blurb would not have intrigued me. Also, romantic suspense novels aren't usually to my taste. The positive reviews, including the OBC one, do not change my opinion of the book. Based on what I read, the book could use another round of editing. For instance, in the first chapter, the paragraph that begins with "I'm sorry but I have plans...", there is an opening quotation mark missing in front of, "But I should have a more...". I like how the author decided to open the book in the middle of the war with the young couple in the Uffizi Gallery and Gerhard's desire to save one particular painting; it sets the story up nicely. Also, Angela seems like a likable character, which is always positive. However, due to the art aspect of the novel, I do not plan on buying and reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on June 9, 2018, at 6:48 am by hsimone.

Total ~ 57%

The Girl Who Knew da Vinci earned a score of 57%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 57% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for The Girl Who Knew da Vinci