Cover for Prophase

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Prophase: A Present Tale

Because Prophase was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

Eunice Geres

I would've checked the sample of this book even if it wasn't on BOTD because the book cover is so cute. However, I'm not too fond of sci-fi. The official review mentioned that some events felt forced. From what the official review said, the premise doesn't also interest me. I didn't notice any grammatical mistakes in the sample I've read. I don't understand the significance of the cell cycle at the beginning of the chapters, but I like the watercolor-like illustrations. The way the characters speak seems to be from the medieval era, even though the book was set in a modern world. The use of the term 'tavern' doesn't fit in with the contemporary world, in my opinion. So, I will not continue reading this book. I also don't have anything to recommend.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2022, at 4:43 am by Eunice Geres.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Gabriella H

I like the book cover. The illustration of the cat is very cute. I found the title to be quite plain, and it didn’t give me any insight into what the book is about. I enjoy sci-fi and fantasy novels, so that’s a plus. However, the official book of the day review by OBC that I read left me with mixed feelings. In the review, it was stated that there are some unresolved issues in the plot. I don’t like when books have unresolved issues. However, the book also seemed interesting based on this same review, the blurb, editorial review, and the reviews left by customers. I have read the first ten pages, and it is indeed interesting. I’m still curious about Piper and her mysterious destiny. I’m also suspicious of Chris. The writing style made it easy for me to become involved in their lives, so I would like to see how it all plays out. Therefore, even with the unresolved issues, due to my curiosity, I’ll be completing this book. If I weren't a part of this program, I wouldn’t have even started the book after reading about those unresolved issues in order not to get sucked in. I noticed a few errors while reading. An error I noticed was the use of way instead of away at location 252 in this sentence, “Her husband, Cal, had passed way many years ago, crushing her heart.” I don’t have any suggestions for improvements.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2022, at 4:20 am by Gabriella H.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Justine Ocsebio

I wasn’t planning on picking this book up because of the premise. I believed that I had already outgrown young adult novels that play on the "chosen one" trope. The book has decent writing. The author’s descriptions painted vivid pictures in my head and conveyed all the right emotions. I liked it. The first chapter begins with Piper’s mother giving birth to her during the vernal equinox. Piper’s identity has not been revealed yet, but a reader can glean that the child is far from being ordinary. I’m not interested in reading a book with such a premise, so I decided not to read the book. The OBC review was insightful. It gave me ideas on what to expect from the book. I can’t find anything negative to say. At least in the first ten pages, there are no more improvements that this book needs. I did not see any mistakes, so the book must be well edited.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2022, at 4:05 am by Justine Ocsebio.

Mutai Marshal

The cover page dissuaded me from reading this book. It suggested that this is a science-fiction novel, a genre I don't relish. From the sample, I liked the author's excellent writing skills. Charles's family struggles are well described that I could picture their struggles. The OBC review didn't change my mind about this book. Consequently, I will not buy this fantasy book since I don't find the genre fascinating. It seems exceptionally edited, and there are no suggestions for improvement that I can offer.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2022, at 3:59 am by Mutai Marshal.

Dzejn_Crvena

When I saw the cover and title, I wanted to sample this book because I like cats. The title sounds catchy and scientific. The OBC review and the sample convinced me to buy it. The mention of young adult characters made me want to read more of this book. The first ten pages are about the birth of the protagonist, who was hidden secret by her mother. She seems to have magical powers, and she grew up not feeling that belongs to a certain group of kids. I'm looking forward to reading more about the relationship struggles of the main character as she tries to find out about her actual capabilities. I like the illustrations and introduction of the parts of cell division in each chapter. The book seems professionally edited, so I don't have any suggestions for improvements.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2022, at 3:55 am by Dzejn_Crvena.

Jeremie Mondejar

I already sampled this book in Amazon because of the cover photo that looks like a magical cat to me. Piper's character buildup is quite an interesting one. I like the birth story of Piper. Since I'm familiar with this book, I will read the rest of it. The book has an OBC review that presents the book well and it helps me understand the plot. While sampling the book, I don't see any typos. I assume this book is professionally edited. Lastly, there's nothing I can recommend for improvement.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2022, at 3:34 am by Jeremie Mondejar.

Sou Hi

Without this program, I wouldn't have read this. The official review from OnlineBookClub, the cover, and Amazon's ratings look alright, but the book's premise is not creative. The story is about Piper Fried, her little brother, and her abusive father, but reading the first ten pages did not change my mind from my original guess.

I like the fantasy theme. However, I think another round of editing is needed. Besides, the sample is not appealing, and there should be a more comprehensible prologue. Since it can't pique my interest, I won't buy this book.

Error example: You, clean this up!" He gave Charlie a look of disgust. Go to your room and think about it," he ordered sternly. -> There should be an opening quote mark before "Go to your room"

First Ten review added on February 14, 2022, at 1:41 am by Sou Hi.

Gabrielle Sigaki

Prophase by Mitchel Street is the story of Piper, a girl who discovers mysterious powers when she almost died in an accident. She lost her mother when she was younger and her father became an alcoholic, so she had to take care of her younger brother. This book contains fantasy, some romance, family issues, and a lot more. If I didn't sample this book, I wouldn't read it based on its Official OnlineBookClub review, its customer reviews, and its genre since I'm not interested in coming of age stories that bring a teenager as the world savior. After sampling it, I didn't change my mind and I won't read the entire book because of the reasons I stated before, but also because I didn't like Piper's character. She seemed to be an unoriginal protagonist, she starts as a girl who is different from all the other girls, who acquired powers, and became the savior. Nevertheless, the book seems professionally edited, and I liked the descriptions of the scenes, even though there were few dialogues at the beginning, the author was able to show the characters feelings through combinations of adjectives, such as strong and tender. However, I think the book could be improved if the author created less generic characters since Piper's characteristics are common in young adult books.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2022, at 10:17 pm by Gabrielle Sigaki.

Jennifer Garcia 555

The cover reminds me of a children’s book. I’m not a big fan of it. I do like the genre though, so I figured it was worth a look. After reading an official OnlineBookClub review and the sample pages there are a few cool aspects to this book. I like the science theme and the beginning is pretty dramatic with the child birth, and the abuse. I did not see any editing errors, so this book seems professionally edited. Although the beginning is full of drama, I have read a few other book with similar beginnings. I prefer more original and unique stories. I will not buy or read this book, but fans of this genre may enjoy it.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2022, at 8:50 pm by Jennifer Garcia 555.

Kirsi Cultrera

The cover of this book was beautiful. However, the blurb did not convince me. Because of the beautiful cover, I would have checked this book out anyway, even without this program. The sample pages pulled me into a world that felt very far away from mine. Piper seemed like a typical kid of her age. Her father appeared disgusting. I felt I was too old for this story and found the writing style too simple. I was curious, however, to see what kind of supernatural powers Piper would discover in herself. The Official OnlineBookClub review only confirmed my thoughts of being over-aged for this book. I will not be reading this book, but I think young adults will probably enjoy it. I found a few errors, and I think this book might benefit from another round of editing. I could not see the page numbers or locations from the sample, but my error example is from the eighth last paragraph of the second chapter, a faulty tense sequence: As I slipped out of the bedroom, Jazz slowly open one almond-shaped eye with a look of caution. The correct version would be: As I slipped out of the bedroom, Jazz slowly opened one almond-shaped eye with a look of caution.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2022, at 4:15 pm by Kirsi Cultrera.

Jorge Leon Salazar

The cover and title are catchy and creative but don't clearly suggest what the story is about. I think the target audience might not detect this book. I'm not a fan of the fantasy genre in general. The extensive blurb expresses the story revolves around Piper Walker. She is a high school senior, who lost her mother and had to raise her little brother and deal with an abusive, alcoholic father. Her life changes when she wakes to a magical world with an ancient history and kingdoms of races. Most of the customer reviews are flattering. Based on these comments, I am uninclined to try this book. The story begins with the birth of Piper after a painful and complicated delivery. I have doubt if that woman is the same mother who raises Piper since she mentions her father gave his life for them. From the beginning, it is shown that Piper is a special being for the world but the secret is kept even for her. Later, Piper is widely described as a teenager different from most. She is a lover of nature and music. In these first pages, details of the environment in which Piper must go through are defined. For example, an alcoholic father, a little brother to take care of, a best friend, an elderly neighbor who supports her (Esther), and a faithful company (Jazz). However, there are many doubts regarding the plot itself as I have no idea how the fantasy elements and the powers that Piper will develop would fit together. The official OnlineBookClub review indicates the story includes a world full of different types of beings and magic. Plus, it highlights that some beings showed up with only vague descriptions that left many questions. I noted various editing details, for instance, at 19% of the sample it says “Mom adored Ester.” The right name is Esther. In addition, at 29% of the sample, it reads “Her husband, Cal, had passed way many years ago…” It seems it should be "away" instead of "way." Apart from the mentioned, I did not see anything else that I believe could be improved. The first pages present little progress in the plot, and I'm not a fan of the fantasy genre. Therefore, I will not read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2022, at 4:04 pm by Jorge Leon Salazar.

Mariana Figueira

Before reading the book's first pages, I wasn't interested in it because nothing on the cover or the title got my attention. After sampling the book, I don't want to continue reading it because the story didn't captivate me. I didn't like that the book changed from the mom's point of view to Piper's in the second chapter without any warning, I think that should be stated somewhere and that could easily be improved. This book seems professionally edited and has an official Online BookClub review. There was nothing I saw that I enjoyed. Neither the blurb, customer reviews, nor editorial reviews affect my decision not to read the book.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2022, at 2:28 pm by Mariana Figueira.

Sanju Lali

The cover and the title indicated that this is a science fiction fantasy book. With that idea, I considered reading the OBC official review of this book because I was curious to know more about the premise of the story. The official review helped me understand that this is a coming-of-age fantasy novel focusing on Piper, who has magical powers. This information intrigued me to read the sample of the book before purchasing it. After reading the first ten pages, I realized that this book was not professionally edited because I found some grammatical errors in the sample. For example, the sentence, "For a while it was the only thing that relieved the pain, but then nothing did." The sentence could have been as follows. “For a while, it was the only thing that relieved the pain, but then nothing did." The thing l liked the most is the loving care that Piper had shown toward Charlie when their mother passed away, and it was a heart-touching experience for me while reading it. Unfortunately, I needed the descriptions of some scenes with additional details, which I could not find in the sample. For example, the scene of Charlie spilling milk required more details for visualizing the scene clearly and understanding the situation. This reason pushed me away from this book. I would suggest the author for a round of professional editing and look at my problems as described above. After looking at all these aspects, I decided not to purchase and read this book today. I will wait until the author looks at my suggestions so that while reading the book, I could engross myself in the story.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2022, at 12:57 pm by Sanju Lali.

Astral Magi

The cat on the cover drew me in, and the title was intriguing. If I hadn't read the first ten pages, I would have chosen to read the book based on these. My interest was piqued by the official OBC review, as well as the first ten pages. I couldn't wait to read the rest of the book after reading the customer reviews about the girl with weird abilities. Even though it didn't appear to work out, I liked that there was a touch of romance incorporated. I'm excited to see where Jazz comes into the plot. There was nothing that might be improved, and there were no errors that I noticed. The book appears to have been edited professionally.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2022, at 12:46 pm by Astral Magi.

Diana Lowery

I have no idea what the title means or why there is a cat on the cover. I would not have chosen to read this book. The blurb was too long, and because it mentioned fantasy, I was convinced not to read it. The OBC review only gave it three out of four and that further convinced me to not read the book. I found the pages I read to be very depressing. There was an error at 25%. The word oak was incorrectly capitalized. I did not like the cell graphics at the beginning of each chapter. There was nothing I liked. I am not going to finish reading this book because it is too depressing. I have no suggestions for the author.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2022, at 11:36 am by Diana Lowery.

Rosemary Owolabi

Had I not actually sampled the first ten pages as part of the program, I wouldn't have chosen to read this book based on the cover, title, genre, customer reviews, blurb, and editorial reviews because it looked like an animated book to me. The title is not so clear at first glance with the purple color that conceals it. One might have to look intently into the title to be certain of what it is.

I will buy the book to read because the storyline is so fascinating to me. It is full of mysterious and hidden meanings. It leaves one wondering and wanting to find out more about the story. Reading the first ten pages changed my mind from the original guess. The reason why I will read the book is that it seems like an action/thriller plus some mystical adventure. It might be too early to tell.

Based on what I read, it seemed to be professionally edited, and I didn't notice any typos or errors. 

I liked how captivating the story was. It was very imaginative and gave a few deliberate answers to the essential questions that might be on the readers' minds as they read.

The book starts on a high note, full of energy and suspense. The first ten-page sample was about a woman who was heavily pregnant and seemed to be on the run for her life and her unborn baby. Her father had lost his life trying to protect them. It was essential that the unborn baby who was to bring the light that balanced the world survived, and his/her identity had to be protected. She was able to give birth alone in the forest to a baby girl. She was named Piper Frieda.
What could be improved? Firstly, the formatting issues should be looked into, and secondly, the characters' names should be revealed early on.

The book had an official OnlineBookClub review that I saw. But it didn't affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2022, at 10:56 am by Rosemary Owolabi.

Soraya Bayah

I was unwilling to give this book a chance, but the first few pages changed my mind. I will have to blame the cover for the unwillingness, as it did not attract me, despite me being a cat lover. I would not pick up this book from the cover, title, or genre, but the reviews might change my mind, especially OBC reviews. I found the text perfectly descriptive, and it made me eager to know more about Piper’s mother and her. I felt devastated when she described how her father has been doing and hurt when he practically shouted where was his food. I was not sure what to expect, but it certainly was much better than what I anticipated. There are possible errors. Location 143, “Our house was across from a field that turned into a small forest that I called the (woods).”- I believe it should be capitalized, as she states that it is a name.
Location 143, “As long as I could remember (I) loved spending time in nature.”- Missing comma.
I am unsure if they are actual errors. I will read this book and discover more about Piper.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2022, at 10:23 am by Soraya Bayah.

Harsh Soni 3

After looking at the cover and title, the book seems like a children's book that I, generally, don't read. Then, I read the Official OBC review of the book (after that I don't need any other blurb or review) where I came to know that the book is sci-fi with average character development. If the book is not part of the first ten, I will never sample the book. So, I am going to pass this book because of the reasons mentioned above. But, after reading the sample, I found that the author includes pictures and small descriptions of cell development in between the chapters. That makes the book seems more interesting. I found no errors in the book. In my opinion, the character of Charlie can be developed more.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2022, at 3:06 am by Harsh Soni 3.

Shrabastee Chakraborty

I love science fiction, and this one was already in my TBR from a previous BOTD. Based on the premise and the official OBC review's rating, I intended to read this book. I failed to find any errors in the first ten pages. A woman gives birth to her daughter and names her Piper. She does it all by herself, mentioning that the pregnancy was a secret. Piper's father died protecting them. I was intrigued by the mystery surrounding Piper. I had no suggestions for improvement. I would gladly read the entire book.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2022, at 2:25 am by Shrabastee Chakraborty.

Ari Martinez

If it hadn't been for the First Ten program, I wouldn't have sampled this book based on its title, cover, or Official OnlineBookClub review because both fantasy novels and coming of age novels tend to be a hit or miss with me, so I avoid them when I can. After sampling the book, I will continue to read it because I thought the protagonist was very likeable. She reminded me of a girl I knew who had to grow up fast due to circumstances in her home. My favorite part of the sample was when Piper began talking about her family, including her mother's death, because that's when I began to feel attached to her character. The book doesn't seem to need improvement. In Location 219, there was a missing opening quotation mark (Go to your room and think about it,” he ordered sternly.).

First Ten review added on February 13, 2022, at 2:01 am by Ari Martinez.

Vidhi Adhikari

The title and cover of this book were quite captivating for me. I even liked the introductory section of the story that seemed to mirror the possible fate of the protagonist with biological processes like interphase and prophase. However, the detailed description dampened my interest as I did not find the plot of this book unique enough to purchase it. Even though the scenes set in the first ten pages, describing the life of Piper with her troubled family and supportive friends were pleasant to read, I feel that because of the eventual plot mentioned in the description, I would slowly lose interest if I read further

Fortunately, I only found a few grammatical errors while reading ('another wave of compression' should be 'another wave of contraction'). The book has also received many positive reviews. But they couldn't change my opinion about the book as I feel that I need a stronger plot to finish the story.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2022, at 1:17 am by Vidhi Adhikari.

Rodel Barnachea

Upon poring over the title’s Amazon page and official OnlineBookClub review, I decided not to acquire the book. I did not find myself intrigued by the premise of the fantasy tale, which is about the protagonist discovering that she has a magical ability to manipulate the very essence of objects. I am also not interested in what Piper's (the protagonist) “destiny” is, nor am I interested in learning if she will be able to fulfill it. Reading its Amazon sample failed to change my mind. I would not purchase it because nothing in the text convinced me that I'll enjoy reading the rest of the story. The first ten pages include the first and second chapters and a few pages of the third chapter. My favorite part is when the protagonist's mother revealed that Piper was born on the same day as the vernal equinox. I was not able to identify any errors in the text. I believe the book is professionally edited. I have no advice to offer to the author.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2022, at 11:15 pm by Rodel Barnachea.

Stephanie Runyon

Since I already own this book, I am going to obviously say I would want to read it. I reread the sample given, and found an error: : “Suddenly, up ahead of us a huge badger across the path with its black ball-bearing eyes fixed on my boy.” There should be a comma after us. I love the way the author created characters with realistic reactions. For example, Piper's reaction to Chris dumping her was relatable. I have no suggestions to improve the book. The OBC review held no influence on my decision. I bought this book before I became a member of OBC, and I highly recommend it.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2022, at 8:34 pm by Stephanie Runyon.

SweetSourSalty AndSpicy

The cover, title, and blurb did not catch my attention. I am not much into coming-of-age fantasy stories. Hence, I will skip this book outside the program. Customer reviews are positive. The blurb is lengthy and could put off readers browsing to try new genres. I suggest reconsidering a more concise version for a quick read. After sampling, I appreciate that the story explores relevant teenage concerns, like self-discovery, identity, family dysfunction, and peer acceptance. But, it did not change my mind. I prefer a faster pace. I need more curious hints and mystery to sustain my interest and continue reading the book. Also, I am more into standalone. There are editing issues, and here are some examples.

Location 9. Spelling. Compound word. Consider adding a hyphen.

Thank you for being my real life Guardians.

Thank you for being my [real-life] Guardians.

Location 144. Spelling. Compound word. Consider adding a hyphen.

The smoky clouds looked pregnant with rain, but with temperatures so cold we might be in for another late season snowstorm.

The smoky clouds looked pregnant with rain, but with temperatures so cold we might be in for another [late-season] snowstorm.

The official OnlineBookClub review is insightful, but I will still pass.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2022, at 8:14 pm by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy.

Yvonne Monique

As I am a huge cat lover, the book cover would immediately attract my attention, and I would pick this book up if I would see it in a bookstore. The blurb, customer reviews and OBC review give a good description of the book and make me curious about the sample. The sample is well edited. The author managed to capture my attention straight from the first moment. The description of Piper's birth was beautiful and promising for the rest of the book. I also liked the drawings at the beginning of each chapter as they symbolise Piper's evolution. I have decided to buy and read this book as I am intrigued by the sample. I have no suggestions for improvement.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2022, at 5:38 pm by Yvonne Monique.

markodim721

I would choose to read a sample of this book because of the title. I read the editor review, customer reviews, and the Official OnlineBookClub review but they did not influence my decision. On the other hand, the blurb influenced my decision to some extent because it helped me to better understand the structure of the book. In my humble opinion, the cover of the book does not fit with the title, and I think redesign should be considered. In addition, the image of a cat and gentle tones can easily lead potential readers to the impression that this is a book intended for a much younger age. I will not read the book because I am not currently reading young adult fantasy novels. While reading the sample I did notice two typos (Oaks instead of oaks, Go to your room… instead of “Go to your room…) and the book does not seem like it is professionally edited. Reading the sample did not change my mind from my original guess. I like how the author described the event when Dad aggressively pushed Piper away so she ended up on the floor. The whole event is described in a lot of detail and it seems very authentic so I could imagine the scene as if I were present. I don't think anything needs to be improved in the book.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2022, at 3:10 pm by markodim721.

Chinazo Anozie

The book cover and title did little to interest me, and I had made up my mind to pass on this book. However, this changed once I read the official OnlineBookClub review. From the description, I knew I would love this, and this was reinforced when I read the first few pages. I am intrigued by the story, and it shows a lot of promise. Fantasy novels are one of my favourite genres, which is why I will be buying this book.

It seems professionally edited as I did not find any typographical errors. I loved the mystery surrounding Piper and her unusual birth, her neighbour, Esther, and the latter’s cat, Jazz. I don’t think there’s anything that needs to be improved.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2022, at 2:49 pm by Chinazo Anozie.

Amy Luman

I’m going to read this novel. In fact, I’ve already downloaded it. The cover didn’t make my decision for me, as I don’t really like cats. It would’ve made me pass. I really like science fiction, and the blurb and reviews that I read gave me a good feeling about it. The first ten pages of this novel gave me a good understanding of what is to come, and I’m excited! I’m not sure if this was professionally edited or not, but I did find at least one error. Esther was misspelled as Ester. My favorite part is Piper’s faithfulness in taking care of Charlie, her brother, and trying to protect him from their alcoholic father. The only thing that I can think of changing is making Jazz a dog, but that’s only a personal preference. The OBC review solidified my decision to read this.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2022, at 2:14 pm by Amy Luman.

Bertha Jackson

I do not understand the connection between the cat face on the cover and the title of this book. I like the genre, so I would have checked the book out on that alone. The blurb is so long and detailed that it diminished my desire to read this book. The OnlineBookClub review, customer reviews, and editorial reviews had no impact on my decision. I enjoyed reading the first ten pages, and I became curious about the changes Piper encounters that the blurb mentioned. I am also curious about what role Esther will play in this story. I found a few errors in the first ten pages, with the first one at 16% of the sample: “Mom adored Ester.” “Ester” should be “Esther.” I would recommend that the author have this book edited by a professional editor. Although there was nothing I particularly disliked while reading the first ten pages, I believe this book is most suited for teenage girls. For this reason, I will not be buying and reading this book.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2022, at 1:17 pm by Bertha Jackson.

Kira Bonita Reece

I would choose to read this book based on the cover, blurb, genre, and the official online book club review. I like how intriguingly the book started. I was holding my breath to see if the baby would be born healthy. The sample I read was professionally edited and I don't think this book needs any improvements. I think this book will be an interesting read so I'll be reading the entire book.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2022, at 12:43 pm by Kira Bonita Reece.

AntonelaMaria

I read the fantasy genre, and the blurb sounds okay. All the reviews that I have read are complimentary of the story. However, after reading the sample, I have changed my mind. The storyline doesn't grab me enough for me to continue reading. I like the chosen one trope. It is one of my favorite tropes in the young adult fantasy. I wish we learned in chapter one how old is Piper's birth mother. Piper seems like a typical fantasy book heroine. She is independent, and she is taking care of her family but is weighted down with some past trauma. It must be difficult losing her mother at a young age. There is an Official OnlineBookClub review of this book. I wouldn't change anything about the book. I didn't notice any errors in the sample. I like the cover, and maybe it is foreshadowing the book's twist. Unfortunately, after reading the sample and learning that this is a series, I don't want to read this book.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2022, at 11:58 am by AntonelaMaria.

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda

The cover is very artistic, and I love cats, so I love the cover. However, the blurb is too long and juvenile for my taste, and the ratings for the books are average. Therefore, I wouldn't have bought the book based on my first impressions.
I liked the first ten pages, though they didn't convince me to read the whole book. I especially liked the strong, powerful images. For example, how when Piper was born, "Her cry resounded with the first rays of morning." I also think the author created a good balance between the "normal" teenage side of Piper and her more mystical side. For example, in the middle of her ode to nature, she mentions that her boyfriend has a "cool Jeep." Lisa's explanation of Piper's "weirdness" also brought some lightness to an otherwise esoteric episode. And, of course, I loved how Piper perfectly summarizes our relationship with cats: "Jazz wasn’t mine, but I was definitely his." I found a couple of editing mistakes. For example, in position 159, the word "oaks" shouldn't be capitalized: "Pines were great for hiding and Oaks were good to sit under for a good cry." My main suggestion, other than fixing these minor mistakes, is to shorten the blurb. The official OBC review didn't convince me to read the book, not because there's something wrong with it, simply because I find the story too juvenile and I don't care much for fantasy.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2022, at 11:52 am by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda.

Timothy Rucinski

From the cover, I assumed this was a book about cats. Since cats and I don't get along very well, I would not have picked this book up for a closer look. From the Official OBC Review, I was surprised to find out that this was a coming-of-age book, a genre for which I have little interest. Therefore, based on the cover and Official OBC Review alone, I would not have selected this book to read. I read no other reviews or blurbs. From the section that I read, I knew I would read no further. I don't particularly like the genre, and I don't like books in which children are abused by their parents. What I liked was the way in which the author wove aspects of nature throughout the story, from the redwoods at the beginning, to the snowfall, to the love of the wooded areas. This gave me the impression that nature would play a big part as the story continued. There wasn't anything that I disliked other than the genre and the aspect of parental abuse. The book may have been professionally edited; however, I did find an error early on. At 14% into the Amazon Kindle version, there should be a comma after "either" rather than a period in the following sentence:"'I told them to call you first, but you didn't answer either.' he said with a rejected look on his face." As a suggestion for improvement, I recommend that the author consider having the book professionally proofread before issuing the next edition.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2022, at 11:11 am by Timothy Rucinski.

Rizki Pradana

I had chosen to read the first ten of this book based on Amazon reviews because of the title. I wanted to read the whole book because an OBC review had affected me. The picture that the author put before the chapter begins is beautiful, even though the story itself was really had a gloomy atmosphere because it just tells about the miserable things that happen to the main character, Piper Walker. Because of that, I wanted to read the whole book. I don't have any recommendations for the author. Also, I found no error, which means this book seemed perfectly edited.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2022, at 10:42 am by Rizki Pradana.

This book appears to have been Book of the Day more than once. Only responses from the most recent Book of the Day focus group are shown. Older responses have been hidden by default to avoid confusion. If you would like to also view the older first ten responses, you can unhide them by clicking the button below.

Show Older Responses

Total ~ 44%

Prophase earned a score of 44%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 44% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Prophase