Cover for Winning the War on Cancer

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Because Winning the War on Cancer was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

Camille Turner

I don't think I would have sampled this book without the program because I don't usually read medical books, which this clearly is based on the title and Amazon blurb. After reading the first ten pages, I believe the book was professionally edited as I didn't note any errors. My impression that it's a medical book, of course, hasn't changed, but reading the sample did get my attention when most medical books don't. I like that the author seems credible, being the daughter of Mirko Beljanski who helped treat French President Mitterand's cancer and also being involved in the nonprofit organization dedicated to continuing her father's research. I also liked the many statistics that back up her claims and the mixing in of personal anecdotes like not having a computer or projector to show her presentation at the NAVEL expo. I am not looking to read a medical book right now so will not buy this book today, but I do think it's well put together and has some interesting things to say in regards to natural (and lower cost) treatments for cancer. I wouldn't improve anything, and I will keep it in mind for the future.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 10:06 am by Camille Turner.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as I don't read non-fiction. I didn't change my mind after sampling the book. The book offers alternative ways to treat cancer. Although any book that offers ways to treat cancer is important, the book isn't relevant to me. The sample consisted of just endorsements, introduction, and half of the first chapter. Adding a couple more pages would have given a better sense of the book. While I didn't notice any obvious errors, the sample didn't engage me. It is too scientific to my taste. I liked the disclaimer that the book isn't in lieu of professional diagnosis, and I like the passion of the author about her subject. I am impressed that the author continued her father's work despite the big companies' attempt to suppress their research. I shudder to think that may have a hand in his death. This seems like an important book for cancer patients, but it isn't relevant to me. I won't read the book, as it isn't the kind of books I enjoy reading. The official review didn't sway my decision either way.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 10:09 am by gali.

Debjani Ghosh

Had I not read the sample of this book as part of this program, I would not have chosen to read it due to its unappealing cover. Also, I am not a fan of the non-fiction genre. However, the official OnlineBookClub review of the book gave it a perfect rating, which encouraged me to read the sample. The review states that this is a thoroughly researched book on fighting cancer through alternative medicine. It also chronicles the author’s fight to get her father’s research approved.

The sample did little to capture my attention. As the book deals with cancer, it contains many scientific terms as well as data, which makes for heavy reading. Although the author has written in a clear manner, which helps a layman, like me, understand the scientific jargon, I am not up for decoding 254 pages of the same. The first ten pages gave a glimpse of the author’s personal connection to the war on cancer, but it was not tantalizing enough for me to pick up this book. I did not find any typos/errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 11:29 am by Debjani Ghosh.

cpru68

I enjoyed the opening pages of this book because one of the subjects I like reading about is how to maintain good health, and I am an avid user of natural products. I liked the endorsement of the book from Gretchen DuBeau because it provides readers with a good foundation about the struggles that natural product providers face regarding testing, research and trying to get the attention of the public. Part of the problem is the pharmaceutical companies wanting us all to remain on their products, so the alternative methods are seen as a disruption to their money-making machine. I also thought that Sylvie's recounting of her father's work in Paris on combatting cancer using plant extracts was fascinating. Much of what he did was hushed down or made out to be not scientific in his day as he was a threat to conventional medicine. She has picked up the torch and now has taken what he began and is making a success out of it. As a child, she had vowed to never get involved in the work her father was doing. I liked how this book combines information that we all need, but it also tells the story of how she stepped into this field.

I only saw one issue in 7 percent of the sample with this sentence: Now, pharmaceutical companies love synthetic medicines that they can patent, because synthetic ingredients are cheap to manufacture... There doesn't need to be a comma after patent, and there was a big space between the word 'now' and 'pharmaceutical'. Other than that, it would appear that this book has been professionally edited. I am going to read the rest of this book because it has captured my attention. I know that we are not being told the truth or allowed to see the wonders of natural medicine. I am always looking up information on the internet regarding new ways to improve health through supplements, so to have it in one book on this subject that is so widely devastating, it is something I cannot bypass.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 12:28 pm by cpru68.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Julie Green

I would not choose to read this book based on the title and cover; while the picture is appealing enough, I feel sceptical about the idea of a natural cure. Having read the opening pages, I will not be reading the rest of the book.
It is unclear who the target audience is for the book. The opening pages read like a reference book with lots of statistics about cancer and details of drugs e.g. Paclitaxel. The tone and style then shifts more towards a personal memoir as we hear about the author's experiences giving a presentation at a symposium. There are occasional points of interesting analysis - such as how little cancer survival rates have improved in the last century, despite the huge increases in medical knowledge. However, I am not sufficiently interested in the topic, or the author, to want to continue. I did not spot any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 2:44 pm by Julie Green.

CinWin

"Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski is a story about how the pharmaceutical industry tries to squash any type of natural cures for illnesses - even cancer. Doctors do not tell us of the natural remedies that are both less expensive and safer than the drugs they prescribe. According to Gretchen DuBeau, Executive Director for tha Alliance For Natural Health, Mirko Beljanski found an extraction from an African root bark that proved to heal cancer and AIDS. But no one knows about it. Sylvie Beljanski gives us the "why" in her book. I read the first 10 pages. It is an amazing, but highly probable, hypothesis that money is behind the entire cover-up. I won't be finishing the book because it is a bit on the heavy reading side. I am more into murder mysteries right now. There were no typos and the statistics she quoted in the first chapter were very interesting. There was an onlinebookclub review and the cover showed that the book was about curing cancer. I was surprised to find out that there could already be a cure that we are being kept in the dark about.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 2:46 pm by CinWin.

Laura Bach

"Winning the War on Cancer" is a book about fighting cancer with natural remedies. I liked how convincing it is written. I never realized that plants are not used that much because nature is not owned by anyone. Synthetic drugs win this battle. I also enjoyed reading about the history of cancer, and what people have done to fight it. I am glad there are books out there that promote nature instead of chemicals. It is professionally edited. I would have tried this book out because I agree with the author's view on the importance of nature. I won't continue reading it because I don't usually read medical books of any kind.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 3:43 pm by Laura Bach.

Yolimari

I would not have sampled this book without this program because I rarely read books about treatments. The OBC review was compelling but did not convince me to read the book. The subject of cancer is a touchy one for me. After I read the sample pages, I thought the book was professionally edited. Learning that bottles of supplements cannot indicate their benefits astonished me. Sounds like the FDA has total control over what medications can see the light of the day. Natural remedies, like cinnamon, are pushed aside. I will not read the book because it is a touchy subject. However, I think it will help lots of people. I will keep it mind.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 3:52 pm by Yolimari.

kfwilson6

Typically, the title and cover of this book would deter me from reading it because I am not at all interested in reading about any type of cure for cancer, natural or otherwise. However, after reading several reviews and the synopsis, I was actually quite intrigued by Dr. Beljanski's story. The mix of drama and medicine caught my interest more than I would have anticipated. None of the reviews give a clear indication of how much of the book is Dr. Beljanski's story and how much focuses on sharing Dr. Beljanski's natural cures. For this reason, I would probably not have read this book prior to sampling because my initial impression is that the focus of the book is how to naturally cure/suppress cancer.
After reading the sample, I am surprisingly very interested in what Sylvie Beljanski has to share. Both the "Foreword" and "Introduction" made me realize how ignorant I am to the information the government entities are able to suppress. Thank goodness for the internet where practically any information can be shared in an instant. I commend Sylvie for wanting to share her father's story, and I really want to know more about the two herbal treatments made from African bark that Dr. Beljanski used to heal patients with cancer and AIDS. I am most interested in any discussion about remedies/preventative options that are natural and easily accessible such as Vitamin C. The information contained in this book can benefit everyone in some way. I would really like to finish it because I think I can learn so much about natural remedies that I would not normally read about. The book also appears to be professionally edited with no noted errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 4:53 pm by kfwilson6.

Kareka88

If all I had to go on was the title and cover, I might have picked it up just because my brother has been recently diagnosed with cancer. I do like the cover of the book and that is very important to me. I read a very informative review on OnlineBookClub. I had difficulty reading the first ten pages of this book because it was written in a style that did not hold my interest. I don't know how to explain it other than it was too straightforward & scientific for my taste. I will not be finishing it. For the right person, I think it will be very interesting. I think it is tragic that the FDA will not approve alternative cancer treatments. I'm sure there are some that would benefit certain patients. However, the pharmaceuticals have too much power in government and won't allow these alternatives to be considered. Similar to the author's example of plant extracts used as a supplement, I have a friend who has fought off cancer just by changing her diet to a raw diet. These types of things need to be shouted from the rooftops. There are alternatives to Chemo, and everyone needs to know about them. I did not notice any grammatical errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 5:05 pm by Kareka88.

sonya01

I have a special fondness for books about the cancer epidemic and this one interested me from the start. It has a clean, no-nonsense book cover, implying credibility and it is written in a very professional way by the researcher’s humble and enthusiastic daughter. By her own admission, she is neither a researcher nor a scientist of any type, yet her clarity in presenting the case is very appealing. I would love to read this book through to the end as the non-fiction genre is a favorite of mine. Also, I feel the information in it is indispensable. It confirms my thoughts: there must be a natural way of stopping and even reversing this disease using natural methods. If this is indeed true, this information needs to be spread as widely as possible. I found no grammatical errors in the first ten pages. The endorsement the author receives in the prologue is impressive and the OBC official review was very complimentary. I liked what I read and definitely would like to read more.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 5:28 pm by sonya01.

melissy370

I don't think my decision in reading a book has ever changed faster than it did with this one. I don't have cancer, so I didn't think I would be interested. However, the author's compelling writing has changed my mind and I wish to finish this book. The facts on cancer and the FDA were informative. I could easily understand them. What got me hooked was when the author talked about her father helping the President of France and from that her journey started. People going into her house crying about their illness and then coming back to thank her father for his help. I want to know more of her story and I got left hanging by the sample. It seems there is more to the subject of alternative medicine than I realized. I didn't see any errors in the book.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 5:46 pm by melissy370.

lesler

Looking at the cover, I like the book's premise. Reading the sample, the author does a good job coming straight to the point, and I liked it very much. This book appears to be professionally edited, with no grammatical errors or typos that I noticed. I liked how the author talks about homeopathic remedies to cancer-I especially like how she discussed aloe vera is clinically proven to work better than chemotherapy. But aloe vera doesn't make companies money like chemo does. I did not like how quickly the book moved-I wanted more thought to each specific plant and their effects. I will be reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 6:42 pm by lesler.

SABRADLEY

I understand the reviewer for Online Book Club liked this book for its alternative medicine approach to cancer treatment. To the author's credit, the sample reading was well-written and was without errors, and the Foreward was compelling. I think the title and cover art are straight to the point. What made me cringe right away was the assertion that there is an African bark or root that cures AIDS, especially considering the AIDS crisis IN Africa. I feel like this sort of propoganda preys on the uneducated and they are defenseless to see the illogical and poisonous nature of these types of claims. This book describes the work of Mirko Beljanski and his involvement with natural cures for diseases, and is seeped in negative claims about the FDA, Western medicine, pharmaceuticals, and other government regulated health institutions. I am 100 percent opposed to this book and will not be reading it.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 6:56 pm by SABRADLEY.

HRichards

I would not have picked up this book on my own, as medical nonfiction, particularly books about cancer, really do not interest me. Having read the sample I will not continue on with the book, as I do not find the topic or writing interesting enough to continue with. The author questions in the introduction why there hasn't been further progress made in the war on cancer, and claims that natural remedies are actively being ignored by drug companies. The book seems very well researched, though I found the writing a bit dry. I'm sure if I had interest in medical treatments I might like this, but for the casual reader it was a bit boring. I didn't notice any grammar errors. I have not read any other reviews of this book.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 7:09 pm by HRichards.

BunnySTx

After reading a few pages of, Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski, I have decided that I will put this book on my to-be-read shelf. When I first saw the cover of this book, my interest was not piqued. My first thought was this book is probably about how Big Pharma dominates and that there are alternative means out there. As I read the blurb, I learned that this is not the case. I quickly learn that this book talks about the author's father's research and getting it out to the public. My interest is piqued. If I had not read a sample of this book, I would have picked it up. As I read a few pages of this book, my interest is piqued. I'm eager to learn more. I appreciate how in the Forward it is described the complexities of getting holistic information out. The laws governing medicine, are stacked in favor of pharmaceutical companies. The Forward is full of insightful and eyeopening information. Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review. The reviewer speaks positively of this book. I will be putting this book on my to-be-read shelf to read at a later time. I will be acquiring this book today. It sounds insightful and educational.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 8:10 pm by BunnySTx.

MsTri

I knew when I saw this cover and title that I wouldn't be reading this. Neither the Amazon synopsis nor the OBC review (the only one I read) changed my mind either. This book isn't relevant to me or anyone I know. Even if it was, I wouldn't want to chance my life on unproven holistic or alternative therapies, not with something as deadly as cancer. I did find the sample to be interesting though, and I was glad that the book seems to be professionally edited. I enjoyed the part where the author panicked because she was due to give her presentation, but there were no electronics available. I have no suggestions for changes because the book seems to be written well for its genre.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 9:36 pm by MsTri.

Tiny_Turtle

Without the First 10 program, I would not have wanted to sample this book. I was not interested in reading about cancer, although I am an advocate for people using alternatives to modern medicine.

Reading the first ten pages helped to change my mind. I was expecting a hard to understand narrative filled with difficult to pronounce scientific words. There were a few words that I had to read slowly, but I found that I was able to follow what I was reading without confusion. The part I liked best was learning that "the Pao pereira extract and the Rauwolfia vomitoria extract" completely eradicated ovarian and pancreatic cancer stem cells within a few hours, and the extracts are not harmful to healthy cells (location 294).

The book seemed to be professionally edited. I have no suggestions for improvements. I was still a little hesitant about committing to reading the whole book, even though I was impressed by the sample. Reading the Official OnlineBookClub review put to rest any lingering concerns I had. I will be reading this book, and I will keep it in my list of books to recommend.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 9:38 pm by Tiny_Turtle.

Dolor

I am not so into the topic, so I am still unsure whether to read the entire story with or without The First Ten program. The cover looks great with a healthy plant - related to the herbal treatment of cancer. I was sold on the official OBC review of this book, but I decided to bypass reading the entire story after reading the sample pages - which did not take off. I was turned off by Sylvie's unpreparedness in the presentation at NAVEL Expo– a Long Island wellness event. I admire her efforts and eagerness to deliver her presentation and share the quality and originality of the latest results from The Beljanski Foundation’s sponsored research concerning cancer stem cells. I have seen these minor errors in the chapter 1 of the sample: *fragmented sentence*
Ever.

*punctuation error*
 Sure the Foundation was my creation, the meting out of my promise to my father to carry on his work and it was my idea to pursue this avenue of research with KUMC, but still I felt that it was not my research, my data. => work,
Even though I had known significant knowledge about cancer i.e., "Traditional treatments for cancer include surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. But even though these treatments can shrink or eliminate tumors, often, the cancer can return with a vengeance. This is due to the cancer stem cells." - I did not have the pull to read the entire contents in the book. "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski is a #NonFiction book that sheds light on #AlternativeMedicine, #Health, #Cancer, and #Oncology. It resurrects the lost knowledge about curing cancer using exotic plants.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 9:52 pm by Dolor.

ladycraic

I would have chosen to sample Winning the War on Cancer apart from First Ten. Personally, cancer is a scary word and I'm almost always interested in some sort of discovery that sheds light and offers hope for the terrifying, debilitating disease. I was immediately drawn by the title, and the little phrase that falls just beneath. The blurb fueled my interest even more. I was captivated by the idea that Sylvie's father was able to treat President Mitterrand's prostrate cancer, and his knowledge was passed on to and supported by his daughter, the author of this book. I was so eager to start reading the first few pages - the hope it contained therein was quite evident. Overall, I found the first few pages fascinating. I enjoyed learning about Gretchen's successful fight with Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroid disease through natural treatment alternatives. I could relate to her when she spoke of the confusion she felt when she had to go outside of the medical system to find the help she needed. When I struggled with oral issues, I wondered why the dentists' first alternative was to hack off a chunk of my tooth. I found awesome natural alternatives online that strived to preserve the natural arrangement of my teeth. I have some sort of knowledge about the effectiveness of natural medicines but I have a lot more to learn. I plan on reading the rest of this book! Winning the War on Cancer seemed professionally edited and I didn't notice any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 9:54 pm by ladycraic.

FictionLover

At first glance, I was interested in this topic but not sure I wanted to read this book. I have read a lot of books about alternative therapies and did not think I wanted to read another. I didn't see the OBC review, as I went right to the Amazon page. The blurb caught my eye, but it was not new or surprising to me. I am in the alternative health care field and did not think I would be swayed into buying and reading another book on a topic like this. However the first ten engaged me in the author's personal story, especially her memories of being a young girl who felt neglected by her parent's obsession with their work. The story of her father's arrest was not surprising to me, as things like this have happened in the US, also. Even knowing this, I continued to read. The book seemed professionally edited and I didn't notice any grammatical errors. I will read this book and hope I never need to use the botanicals she writes about, but am glad I now know about them. I don't think anything can be improved. If I can be swayed, that is saying a lot.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 10:02 pm by FictionLover.

LV2R

The title and the cover show clearly that the book will be about cancer and finding its natural cure. The Amazon Blurb questions if we are truly winning the war on cancer after 40 years or not. Sylvie’s father, Mirko had some scientific research discoveries that benefited the president of France. Instead of being famous, he was persecuted and hushed. I read the first ten pages and thought that it was an eye-opener to see that the drug companies and the government work against allowing information and selling of natural remedies because there is no money in it. I like best that there is some proof of natural plants and extracts that help fight against cancer and other diseases. Sylvie's father’s research and experience is made known in this book. The book seems to be edited well, as I did not notice any errors. I could tell the author has a passion to tell this story. The OBC review confirmed that there are more than 300 proven treatments and cures of cancer and disease that go beyond the traditional and accepted ways (surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation). Though I think it is very exciting that there are alternative ways to treat cancer and disease through natural plants, I do not want to read this book, as I do not need it now. I will put it in my memory as a resource if I ever need this type of book.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 10:28 pm by LV2R.

lavellan

I probably would have not read the sample of Winning the War if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. The Book of the Day review was positive, but I wasn't very interested in the subject. The book seemed like it was professionally edited and I did not notice any errors while reading. I enjoyed how the author supported their points with statistics. I did not know that there was a 24% increase in the number of cancer cases over the course of 40 years. I didn't like how biased the author was to the use of natural molecules. As a result, I will not be reading the buying the book today.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 10:28 pm by lavellan.

Allyseria

The book cover and title do not attract me because of it being a biography and the subject does not particularly interest me. The blurb also has a lot of double paragraph break errors which make me worry about the quality of the editing in the book. The review also made me uninterested in the book because I don't particularly like natural healing methods. When I read the sample, I feel that it is only targeted towards those who are open to natural healing methods as there were very strong opinions about medicine in the just the sample alone. To those who rely on normal manufactured medicine, this book would annoy them. Overall, I will not continue to read the book. Note: The book had been professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2018, at 11:09 pm by Allyseria.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book as I do not read this genre. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I don't think it is my genre still, though I do appreciate how the author talked about their own health experience with Hashimoto's. I think I am not exactly a science person and though I appreciate the author using common language to describe molecule synthesis, I was simply not too interested in the topic. It was professionally edited. I did not read the official review but that did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 12:14 am by psychopathycathy.

Cher432

If I had not read the sample, I probably would not have read the book. There was an official OnlineBookClub review, though it did not really change my mind. Reading the sample, I immediately realized that it was not my type of book. I am not really interested in the history of cancer and its treatmemts. On top of that this book is very USA-centred so I doubt it will be of relevance to me. I read the ten pages and it begun with the history of the cancer fight in the US. It was a little bit interesting but not enough to keep me reading, so I would not buy and read it. There was one typo where it was written dread disease instead of dreaded disease.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 1:24 am by Cher432.

cristinaro

I wouldn't have read this book without the first ten program simply because God protected me from having any major health problem. However, the book could be eye-opening not only to those suffering from cancer, but to people in general who should become aware of the mercantile interests of those involved in the pharmaceutical industry. With high-rating editorial and customer review, the book is Sylvie Beljanski's tribute to her father, Mirko Beljanski who was one of the first green molecular biologists and fought to find alternative means of treatment for cancer. I have read the sample with great interest and curiosity. On the one hand, I am glad the author's message is a positive one and is backed by scientific and statistical data as well as professional studies in the field. On the other hand, the book flows smoothly because it also includes personal stories about the author's experiences and struggle to make her father's work known to the general public. I couldn't find any editing errors in the sample and the OBC review convinced me this book is both well-written and well-researched. I don't have the time to read it now, but I will keep it in mind for later.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 2:22 am by cristinaro.

Mercy Bolo

Judging by the cover, I wasn't going to read this book, but the OBC review convinced me otherwise when it mentioned that the book focuses on the author's father's research into cancer treatment and the successes he achieved from his plant-based therapies. When I read the first ten pages, I liked that the author likened conventional cancer treatment to a weeding technique based on how low one can chop the weeds. I found this entirely relatable. As I noticed no errors, I'll conclude that the text underwent professional editing, but I won't read the rest of the book because its contents don't relate to me. As it is, there's nothing I would change about the bit I read.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 8:33 am by Mercy Bolo.

briellejee

Based on the cover and title, I think I wouldn't have sampled the book since the genre is not my usual cup of tea. As for the first few pages, I found the author's tone in the book as something in between serious and light. She knows how to make the reader relate to it, especially on that part about the pre-presentation nerves. It didn't sound too technical as some books in this genre usually are, and it is its likable trait. As a biology graduate, I was interested in the mechanics of cancer stem cells; but in the view of a layman, some paragraphs are a bit tedious to read. I also liked how the author managed to insert her personal life, including her parents before she decided to publish the book. It allows the reader to take a break from the scientific parts about how cancer cells operate. Overall, I think the book is great and a major breakthrough and gives people hope about this disease. However, I will not be buying the book since I am not interested enough to go on with the topic; the genre of the book is not also to my liking. I found no noticeable errors and the official OBC review helped me in deciding whether to sample the book or not.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 9:42 am by briellejee.

hsimone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this book. Though the cover seems simple and appealing, the title, genre, and blurb do not relate or appeal to me. There are positive ratings, including the OBC one, but these do not affect my opinion of the book. Based on what I read, the book could use another round of editing. For instance, in the Introduction section, the line, "Although the legislation never mentioned the word, 'war,' Nixon declared...", the comma after the word, "war", should be outside the quotation mark, not inside. The author speaks with confidence while writing about cancer research and how in some ways, society has advanced in treating cancer, but in other ways, we haven't. I like how she uses her father's research as a baseline for her book. Also, it's nice that the author ties in her presentation NAVEL Expo; it adds a personal touch to the text. However, I feel some of the information is a bit repetitive and the topic isn't relevant to me. Due to this, I do not plan on buying and reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 10:18 am by hsimone.

desantismt_17

This book’s title didn’t hook my attention. The description, though, made me see this wasn’t just about cancer, but also about natural remedies in general and how they are more effective than the deadly synthesized medications on the market. Before sampling, I was curious to read. After sampling, I’ll read this. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed no errors. The opening discussion about natural medicine sparked my interest. I am a believer in using natural remedies before manufactured ones, and the insight into how information about natural remedies is suppressed by the government and companies looking to increase their bottom lines was unsurprising, if chilling. Just in the first pages, a few natural substances that have been known to help against cancer and AIDS were mentioned. That is something I’m very interested in knowing more about. I have no improvements to suggest at this time. I didn’t see an OnlineBookClub.org review and wish I had. I would have liked to know if there were more natural remedies discussed throughout the book. Regardless, I will read this.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 10:22 am by desantismt_17.

SamSim

In the foreword, "peer reviewed" should be hyphenated. It angers me that it wasn't legal to share info about the health benefits of natural foods, etc. That should be publicly available information globally, for everyone to look into and, hopefully, benefit from. I had no idea there were laws against sharing harmless and possibly highly beneficial findings about natural foods! That's ridiculous. The reference to the Capitol Hill "horse trading" infuriate me. The foreword-writer seems very knowledgeable, and I share her frustration with the system's tendency to harm, rather than help, the public well-being. Is "architected" a word? I didn't know that. I've learned so many things just from the first page or two. Oh, this foreword really has my dander up! Why doesn't everyone know about this corruption, and why doesn't it anger all of us? I had no idea what I was getting into with this sample, but my emotions are totally involved already, and I want to know more. I'm definitely sucked in and believe that this book is important. Prior to sampling it, I liked the cover and the title, and I was intrigued. My grandmother and some of my great-aunts are breast cancer survivors, and breast cancer is what killed my great-grandmother. I already believe this book is relevant, apparently well researched, well edited, and well written, but I will still finish the first 10 pages. "Common sense" should be hyphenated because it is a compound adjective that precedes and describes "test." There is a missing comma between "life" and "and." (This is still in the foreword.) There should not be a comma between "it" and "to." What a compelling foreword! If the book is as good as the foreword, I'm already really impressed. The article title is rendered as "Why we are losing the war on cancer?" but if it is a question, it should be "Why ARE we losing the war on cancer?" (emphasis mine). There should not be a comma between "quo" and "and." Please don't take my list of errors to mean that I think this book needs more editing. Most books could always use more editing, but I do think this one is professionally edited. I'm absorbed, I'm moved, I'm fired up by this book! I'm fascinated, and I want to finish this book as well as find out more. I am sincerely compelled to purchase this book, and I believe I will be downloading it. It's too important not to read, and nothing about this book seems unfounded, hokey, ethereal, etc. This is an important resource!

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 10:25 am by SamSim.

Sahani Nimandra

Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski is a read about winning a battle against cancer. This author is an individual who is well aware of this subject matter. She relates this subject based on her researchers and experiences. Each chapter starts with an inspiring quote by someone. The flow is smooth and clear in this text, and I didn't encounter any hindrances in the first ten pages while reading. Since I don't belong to the target audience, I don't wish to read this text further. Besides this didn't delight me as much as the official review did.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 11:20 am by Sahani Nimandra.

ritah

Based on the title and genre, I wouldn't have sampled the book because I don't usually go for books in this genre. I read the official review and then sampled Winning the War on Cancer. I liked that Gretchen DuBeau briefly shared her struggle with the autoimmune thyroid disease, Hashimoto's, and that despite being told that her ailment was irreversible, she was able to overcome it/ heal by using natural foods and dietary supplements. The book appeared to be professionally edited as I did not spot any errors in the pages I read. I see the book being useful to those who have an interest on the topic the book covers; however, it isn't for me right now, which is the reason I won't be reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 12:57 pm by ritah.

bookowlie

I don't care for books about cancer treatments so I would not have sampled this one on my own. That being said, I was glad that the OBC reviewer mentioned the writing was clear and concise, since often books about medical treatments are densely written. The Amazon blurb is free of errors, but it has a disjointed feel due to several line breaks between the paragraphs. I enjoyed the Foreward written by the Executive Director of the Alliance for Natural Health, particularly the woman's personal experience with Hashimoto's, an autoimmune thyroid disease. I found the rest of the sample difficult to follow, as there were too many statistics and quotes from various people - for example, 58% of people who take dietary supplements do so for the treatment or prevention of cancer, statistics on the rising costs of cancer drugs, etc. Based on the sample and my reading preferences, I am not planning to read the entire book.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 1:55 pm by bookowlie.

Kendra M Parker

Just the title tells me that this probably is not a book that I would have needed to read. I’m not in the market for cancer-related materials. As I read the prologue, though, I found myself agreeing wholeheartedly with the sentiment that the medical industry is doing people no favors. I did not see any errors as I read this book. I agree that most people would benefit from using more of the natural products of this world, instead of turning to patented drugs. I will put this one on my consider-reading list. Since it is not on Kindle Ultimate, and I don’t have any need to read it just now, I think I will pass for now. I might look into other works by this author in the meantime, though.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 2:23 pm by Kendra M Parker.

mtsnel006

I would have chosen to read the book because I want to know how the cancer war can be won. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be very informative on how to treat cancer. Beljanski wrote about how her dad came up with many cancer treatments, which were mostly special natural plants supplements. Pharmaceutical companies rather had the discoveries buried because they would have lost money since their services and their products would not have been in demand anymore. It was great learning that the author's father (with his cancer treatments) treated the French president who was diagnosed with cancer. I enjoyed everything about the book, especially knowing that the supplements that can cure cancer are purchasable from the Beljanski website. The book was perfectly edited. Thanks

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 3:10 pm by mtsnel006.

Bianka Walter

This is not a book that I would have gravitated towards without the first ten program. I am very fortunate in that I have never lost anyone close to me to cancer. These days, that is unheard of. The statistics in the introduction of Beljanski's book show just how unlikely that is. It states that one in three people will develop cancer. That is an ugly statistic. The introduction was interesting. I enjoyed the real numbers that surround this horrible disease, and I felt like I came away from the first few pages knowing a little more. I found a few misplaced commas in the sample, but nothing too terrible. In the first line of the foreword, Mirko Beljanski is not a restrictive appositive and needs commas on either side of the name. This is not a book that I will be reading anytime soon. I will keep it in my mind for a recommendation. Otherwise, luckily, it doesn't apply to me.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 4:07 pm by Bianka Walter.

Sarah_Khan

I would not have picked up this book if it was not part of the first ten pages because I am not interested in the subject matter. I enjoyed reading the first ten pages even though it seems that the book does need a little more editing (e.g. sentence starting with and, it's instead of it is). I found it interesting how the author talks about how difficult it is to get natural remedies out there when certain people only want to be able to financially benefit from the remedies. Unfortunately, I still do not think this book is interesting enough to commit to reading. I did not read any OBC review.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 4:10 pm by Sarah_Khan.

ButterscotchCherrie

I wouldn't have sampled this without the program because luckily I'm not affected by cancer. I also won't read the rest of it because I don't like to read about big pharma conspiracy theories, which is what the introductory material focused on at any rate. The book does seem to have been professionally edited as I did not notice any errors. What I liked best was that the author does seem keen to stress research that has been carried out using scientific approaches. For example, reference was made to the role of cancer stem cells at the beginning of the first chapter. Therefore, I think the book could be improved if the "big pharma" content were left out of the preface because that is offputting for those who are not convinced by that conspiracy theory but who might want to read about some research that has been based on an awareness of the importance of scientific proof. That said I'm not sure it was a good idea to mention Francois Mitterand because a treatment method isn't rendered any better through a famous person's involvement with it. I didn't see an OnlineBookClub review, which didn't affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 4:58 pm by ButterscotchCherrie.

sarahmarlowe

If I hadn't had the opportunity to sample this book, I probably would never have picked it up. I looked at the cover and saw the title and a plant, letting me know it is about fighting cancer with botanicals. Although there is a lot of promise in going the naturally sourced route to cure cancer, I don't think the pharmaceutical companies will allow it. As the sample of the book points out, those companies have money and power to fight anything that threatens their hold on the cancer community. I am a cancer survivor, and I was subjected to some strong chemicals. I'm still recovering more from the medicines than from the cancer. I will probably not buy and read the whole book not because there is anything wrong with the book, but because of personal bias -- a bit of desperation that things won't change. The book seems to be written well and edited professionally. I liked the tone the author used. She is obviously very intelligent and talented in her work, yet she presented herself humbly to the reader. I didn't notice anything that needed improvement. The reviews of this book are stellar, and I hope the author can reach an audience to help give a voice to her mission.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 5:14 pm by sarahmarlowe.

Sicily Joy

I would have sampled the book based on the cover, genre, description and positive official review. I am plenty terrified of the idea of cancer and I was interested in reading some positive information about cancer treatment. Also, I liked that the official review mentioned that Belijanski challenges the traditional western medical industry as I am interested in natural medicine. After reading the sample, I decided I wanted to buy and read this book eventually because I liked that the book is a mixture personal stories and extensive research on natural extracts and their effects on cancer stem cells. My favorite part of the first chapter is when at a conference, Sylvie Beljanski has to talk about her personal reasons for carrying on her father's research because she can not present the cancer research as the computer for the powerpoint has not arrived yet. I also liked that Sylvie Beljanskir tells about the political war waged against her father by the French government. The writing is both academic and captivatingly personal. There was nothing I didn't enjoy in sampling this book. I found no errors and I believe this book was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 6:38 pm by Sicily Joy.

KRay93

The design of the cover looks professional, not to mention extremely appropriate for the theme proposed by the blurb. The official review speaks of an engaging and entertaining read considering the serious matter in question. The first ten pages revolve around a presentation that the author had to give, in which she had to improvise her explanation of her father and her's research due to a technical problem. Another important theme is the search for the author to find her own voice. The prose is a bit too personal for my taste but appropriate enough for a book of these characteristics. Although I have a close relative who is fighting against cancer, it is not one of those people who consider alternative medicines to their problem. Therefore, this book is not of use to me and I will not continue reading it.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 7:13 pm by KRay93.

CataclysmicKnight

I was pretty interested in this book when I first saw it, so I'm fairly certain I would've looked more into it whether it was the book of the day or not. I've known plenty of people who have battled cancer and worry about dealing with it myself, and I'm sure the same is true for people all over the world.

I skipped the foreword and dove right into the introduction and chapter one, and so far I'm enjoying it. The introduction was especially terrific with various stats about cancer and how it's changed over time. It's frightening that one in three people will get cancer at some point in their lives now, and the yearly cost jumping from less than $10,000 to $30,000-$50,000 in just 7 years (2005-2012) is even more scary, especially as someone without insurance.

I didn't notice any errors, and the writing has been very smooth. However, with all of that said, I'm not hooked enough that I want to go out and buy the book. It's very interesting and I'm incredibly happy it's been written, but my pile of books to read is far too high to justify buying this one without being especially interested in it.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 8:33 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Momiji1987

This book is pretty eye opening. I have read books on alternative cancer therapies before, but none written as concisely as this one. The price is reasonable as well, which I like. I like that the author delves into the history of the cancer industry and reveals the bribery that goes on in congress and what pharmaceutical companies ultimately want to do to purge the market of natural alternatives to toxic meds. The review was instrumental in gaining my interest in this book. It is well edited and looks very professional. I will definitely be putting this book on my list and consider it for future purchase.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 9:40 pm by Momiji1987.

Fuzaila

The cover and title was enough for me to conclude that this book isn't for me. The sample is very well written and the foreword is thought provoking. I didn't realize that the public doesn't have legal right to know about natural remedies. And that pharmaceutical companies hide information from the public and it is legal to do so. I liked the vast array of information I got from the sample alone. There wasn't anything I didn't like and the book was error-free which means it is professionally edited. I won't be reading it though because it won't benefit me.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 10:07 pm by Fuzaila.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book without this program. I don't usually read non-fiction books, and the OBC review and blurb did not change my mind. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be finishing this book. The book is too biased for my taste. When I read a book about research, I expect it to be unbiased. Tearing down one side to prove a point like this side started to do won't win me over, regardless of which side I am on. The book also started out with a lot of statistics on cancer, the rise of specific cancers, and other facts. It was a long introduction without any mention that I saw of what the research was actually on. Because of this lack of insight into the specifics of the research, I won't be buying this book. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 1:34 am by anneloretrujillo.

va2016

The title of the book adequately indicate the theme of the book. The cover is nice. The Amazon summary of the book is quite lengthy, and does not make it interesting to sample the book. There are only 9 Amazon customer reviews for the book. Based on these factors, and the fact that this is a book related to cancer (which I am not interested in exploring), I would have skipped sampling the book, if not for the First Ten program. As I sampled through the book, I found the narration quite engaging. The writing style of the author in describing why the natural remedies (which are mostly food-based) should be encouraged, but deliberately suppressed by the vested interests like the pharma companies, is pretty interesting. As the author moves on from the general health to cancer-specific topics, I lost interest, as it is not something I would like to explore. I am not going to read this book in full. I found the book to be professionally edited, and I didn't find any grammatical or mechanical errors. What I liked most about the book is its natural writing style, which makes the book reader-friendly. I could not find anything that can be improved with the book. Although I found one OBC review that gave 4 out of 4 stars rating for the book, my decision to not to read the book in full is based on my own sampling.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 2:06 am by va2016.

Gravy

I would not have sampled this without the First Ten program as my reading preferences don't match up with it. However, the sample truly caught my attention, so it did change my opinion.

I didn't notice any errors, and it was very conversational and easy to be pulled into. I can honestly say that I am considering continuing this, however, I won't be purchasing it today.
I can't say that there was anything I would change, and I particularly liked the author's story about being on stage and not having a computer. It definitely made the whole thing very relatable.

I am not sure if there was a review for this book, but that in no way impacts my opinion of it.
I am considering reading this book, but am still undecided so won't be purchasing it today. I would, however, recommend it.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 2:10 am by Gravy.

Vickie Noel

For the fact that I neither have cancer nor know anyone who does, I wouldn't have read this book outside the program. Having done so for a few pages, I wouldn't read on for the same reason above. But I do understand how relevant it is for people in need of the information. Like the author, I'm a firm believer in alternative medicines and was quite appalled when she postulated the truth that "drug companies don't just want to block the information we get on natural medicines; they want these products off of store shelves altogether." That's plain wickedness if you ask me. I didn't see any grammatical errors and commend the editor. The OBC review I saw showed how personal the book felt to the author as well as the reviewer; I can imagine a similar reaction to those who may want to try their hands on herbal remedies. However, it didn't make me want to read the book.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 2:23 am by Vickie Noel.

JuliaKay

I like the cover for this book. It is simple and professional, and I think that suits books like these. The title doesn't seem unique, but I do like that it mentions a natural cure and gives readers an idea of what the book is about. The blurb and reviews were good. They made me more curious about the author's approach and perspective on natural and holistic healing. This isn't typically a genre that I would read unless I was doing research, but I do think that I would have at least chosen to sample this book even without this program. From the first ten pages of the book, I learned that President Nixon actually declared a War on Cancer, which I wasn't aware of being an official thing. It is sad that the optimism that was raging when the war was declared has faded. I was also not aware that cancers such as leukemia and so many others are on the rise. The cost of drugs for cancer also shocked me. Over $100,000 a year in some cases. No wonder the public is looking for natural remedies. It is interesting that the FDA has not approved any supplements to prevent cancer and that not more research is done on natural compounds. The author's father was convinced that there was a different approach to treating and preventing cancer, but his research on natural molecules ran into opposition, and his experiences inspired the author's journey. The Baljanski Foundation researches cancer and looks for natural routes of treating and preventing it. They also research cancer stem cells and where cancer comes from. The author mentions that stem cell theory, that of all the cancerous cells, only a few act as stem cells, and those are the ones that are cancers driving force. Apparently plant extracts developed by the author's father work against pancreatic cancer stem cells, although this does not seem to be popular knowledge. The author talks about his presentations and research that has been done by the foundation, and he mentions how daunting public speaking his for him. I think what surprised me most was that in one experiment, they were able to eradicate cancer stem cells for pancreatic and ovarian cancers with natural treatments. I think this book is fascinating and offers new insights into cancer treatments and causes. I would want to read the rest, especially to find out about preventative methods. There were no technical errors, and I believe this book has been professionally edited. I also like how it is easy to understand and the author is clearly passionate about the topic.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 2:33 am by JuliaKay.

a9436

My first thought was that this book is not relevant to me, but the OBC review convinced me to check it out, by highlighting its critique of profit in the healthcare industry. The deadly facts and figures presented within the first ten pages were sobering, yet were described in a conversational and accessible style, with their relevance plainly clarified. This, together with the personal experiences of the author, made me feel that I was reading an understandable and educational book as opposed to becoming lost in an academic journal. As a vegan concerned with potential links between red meat and cancer, I found the information on dietary supplements especially interesting. The only errors some missing commas within quotation marks, such as, "the "War on Cancer" was declared." Despite its good impression, I will not purchase this book today, because other non-fiction subjects are currently of a higher priority to me, but I am convinced that it will make interesting reading for many.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 3:56 am by a9436.

Kajori50

'Winning the War Against Cancer' by Slyvie Beljanski is a non-fiction book. The title, blurb, the OBC review, and the customer reviews in Amazon did a good job of convincing me to give the book a try. However, I would have skipped it as I am not in the mind-frame to read a book of this genre.

The first ten pages of the book leads me to believe that it focuses on a more natural way to cure cancer. I like how the author brings her father's work against cancer to the forefront. I also like how well-researched the book is. I did not find any error. Hence, I found this book to be professionally edited. I will give this book a try as I would really like to know more about curing cancer by an alternative method.

First Ten review added on January 1, 2019, at 12:35 pm by Kajori50.

britt13

It sounds like this was a very well researched book by someone who was highly qualified. I do not have anyone close to me that currently has cancer so I do not think that this is a book that I will read, but I am happy it was the book of the day because it sounds like it has a lot to offer! That being said, I read the first ten. It seemed to flow well even with the dense information it was giving, including the names of foundations and such. I love that certain facts have a number next to them that I can assume is supported in the back of the book. Beljanski seems to be reliable since she is writing about her father's work. I found no errors and was impressed by the writing. I still will not be reading further though because I currently do not feel I need to know more about Cancer since no one close to me has it.

First Ten review added on January 1, 2019, at 6:40 pm by britt13.

Jsovermyer

Winning the War on Cancer is a clear and engaging title. The cover picture of a plant effectively shows that the book is speaking about a natural cure. Sylvie Beljanski, the author of the book, explains that natural cures are not being used because they don’t generate money for the pharmaceutical companies. It’s all about big business and not about the well-being of the patients. I also found it interesting when it was explained that cancer stem cells cause cancer to reoccur. I had never heard this explanation before. I am a little skeptical that the natural cure that the author’s father discovered is actually a cure for cancer. The part that I read didn’t provide any clinical studies or statistics. The official review rated the book highly, but I am not sure if I agree from the portion that I read. It is professionally edited and I didn’t find any spelling or grammatical errors. I am not interested in reading a non-fiction book at this time and so will not be finishing or reviewing this book.

First Ten review added on January 1, 2019, at 10:29 pm by Jsovermyer.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read romance books. Even when I read books of other genres, I prefer reading fiction. However, I liked how the author included positive reviews from various people on the first page. It gave me a good first impression of the book. Overall, the book seems well edited and I could not find major grammatical errors. I found a few minor errors such as the phrase "yet it remains little known" (chapter one, paragraph one) which seemed a little awkward. However, the effort of the author is obvious. Most of the content seems well researched and referenced. I do not read the genre usually, and hence, I may not buy the book today.

First Ten review added on January 2, 2019, at 9:14 pm by AA1495.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I wouldn’t have read it. I'm not a big fan of naturopathic medicine nor do I have any need or interest in reading about the topic of cancer. After reading the first ten pages I didn’t change my mind and therefore will not be buying and reading the rest of this book. I appreciated the passionate viewpoint presented early on in the book's foreword by Gretchen DuBeau and her battle with traditional medical insurance and Hashimoto's. It opens up the book well to give a reason behind the author's passion. That being said, for the majority of cases, I fully believe in traditional medicine and therefore am not very interested in this book. I don't see myself needing this book anytime soon, but will keep it in mind for any that might. I didn’t see anything specific that I would have wanted to change within the sample that I read, but it did seem well written and edited. The official review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on January 2, 2019, at 11:12 pm by Scerakor.

OloladeO

From the cover and title, I would have read the sample to acquire knowledge about the natural cure for cancer. From the sample, it started with a quote from Dale Partridge "You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it. The Beljanski Foundation sponsored research concerning cancer stems, which are crucial to cancer research because they are those cells resistant to chemotherapy. They also induce relapse and metastasis by giving rise to new tumors. The book seems well edited. The OBC reviewer gave it a perfect rating, which seals my wanting to read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on January 3, 2019, at 2:26 am by OloladeO.

Total ~ 29%

Winning the War on Cancer earned a score of 29%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 29% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Winning the War on Cancer