Cover for Wilderness Cry

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Because Wilderness Cry was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

Vickie Noel

I wouldn't have read this book outside the program based on the title or cover. I don't read religious books, and the big cross on the building on the cover page is a big giveaway. Reading the sample didn't change my mind; the book's subject matter did not interest me. The writeup was a sea of analysis which quickly bored me. Wilderness Cry appears to be professionally edited. However, the correlative conjunction "not only but also" is incomplete in this sentence "...a nun who not only taught us Roman Catholic religion but all our other subjects in school..." It's not a major error, though. I have no recommendations for improvement. I saw an OBC review, but it didn't influence my decision.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2020, at 4:59 am by Vickie Noel.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

va2016

The title and the cover do not clearly indicate what the book is about. There are only 11 Amazon customer ratings, which is not a sufficient number for me to decide if I should sample the book or not. The Amazon summary gives a clear description about what to expect from the book, which is about redefining various aspects of Christianity. As I am not interested in religious books, I would have skipped sampling if not for the First Ten program. As I sampled through the book, I found the narration describing how the author came about to studying Christianity, and how he found several things which were in contradiction with generally accepted beliefs. As I am not interested in religious books, I am not going to read this book in full. I didn't find the book professionally edited. I found several mechanical mistakes. One such mistake is in the fourth paragraph of the 'Introduction' chapter, in which "Devine ; God" should be "Divine God". I didn't like anything specifically about the book. As an improvement, I would recommend thorough proofreading of the book. Although I found one OBC review of the book, my decision to not to read the book in full is based on my own sampling.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2020, at 4:53 am by va2016.

xsquare

I would not have sampled the book based on the cover, title or blurb – the subject matter doesn’t really appeal to me. The high rating from the official OBC review did not change my mind. I like the author’s candid style of writing – it feels very authentic. However, I did find a missing apostrophe in the following sentence: ‘Everywhere in the universe Gods goodness is visible in His perfection.’ Other than the typo, I don't think there is anything else that the author could have done better. Unfortunately, I will not be reading the rest of the book as the subject matter still doesn’t particularly interest me.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2020, at 4:51 am by xsquare.

aaurba

After I read the title's official OBC review and Amazon page, I did not find myself intrigued by the book. I am not that into philosophical books, and I only read those when required by our college professor. I'm also not much interested in books that heavily features God and the themes of spirituality or religion. For these reasons, I decided I wouldn't purchase the book.

Reading the book's sample did not help change my mind. Nothing in the sample had me wanting to read the rest of the book, so I wouldn't purchase the title. The first ten pages include an introduction, the first chapter, and the first few pages of the second chapter. What I liked is reading the reason why the author named the book "Wilderness Cry." I found one misspelling in the introduction: "...John's followers wrote that Jesus was Devine [Divine]." I also found a missing punctuation mark in one sentence. There are only two errors that I encountered (in which one is minor), so I think the book is professionally edited. Apart from correcting those mistakes, I have nothing else to suggest to the author.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2020, at 4:47 am by aaurba.

Seroney_

What's your take about Christianity? The author tries to unearth if what he was told and believed are true, through thorough research. Along the way, he felt that the Catholic Churches are rdrivers of misconceptions regarding artificial birth control methods. The book was written from the first person perspective. I loved most that the author talks about his childhood experience. This is because I enjoy reading about personal experiences. The hypnotic book title piqued my interest in this book. It hinted on certain concerns and revelations. Having sampled the first ten pages and read the OBC review , I'll buy this book since I love thought-provoking books. I cannot conclude if it was exceptionally edited because I noticed a typographical error (there's a space between the opening bracket and "nowadays " in chapter one). There are no recommendations that I suggest for this book.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2020, at 3:57 am by Seroney_.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Aubrey Lewis

The overall appearance of the book is very neat and appealing to the eyes, in my opinion. When I read through the official OBC review, I was honestly intrigued by the contents of the book since I admit that I've been turned off by organized religion a few times before, so I wondered what kind of eye-opener this book might be. If I weren't a part of this program, however, I wouldn't have read the sample at all since the book's cover, genres, and summary didn't interest me enough to want to check it out willingly.

When I finished sampling the first ten pages, I decided to read the rest of the book. The contents seemed professionally edited so far except for a single typo that I spotted in Location 112 of 244: [If any one of us had done so, we would not have been allowed to make out first communion;].

Aside from this, the book really interested me. The author's opinions were well-described, and I even agreed with some of his points. There are a few traditions carried out by the Church that I cannot understand, and I even find some punishments that they threaten to be highly exaggerated. I felt sympathy for the author when he mentioned about his pregnant wife while they were penniless and that a bit of family planning could've prepared them better and made them live easier lives. Overall, the contents caught my attention and made me wonder about a lot of things, which is why I've decided to read further on this one.

Since I enjoyed the sample so far, I don't think there are any improvements the author needs to make.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2020, at 3:57 am by Aubrey Lewis.

Howlan

The cover looks good. The synopsis gives us a general introduction to this book. The first ten pages are good. It starts with the introduction of the author, followed by the story of his holy communion at seven-years-old. The author describes the concept of an all-powerful God rather than the image of God built up by the Church over the ages, which resulted in wars and conflict among people. That is the main concept behind this book. The author gives a few examples of such behaviors of a perfect God. The narration is easy to understand. However, I am not going to buy and read this book as I do not enjoy reading non-fiction books based on religion and spirituality. No typos were found in the first ten pages. The book is decent if you find the concept appealing. The addition of a bit of humor would be better too. The Official Review is present, and the reviewer rates it highly.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2020, at 2:32 am by Howlan.

MeganDJ

I must admit, I didn't think I would read this book regardless of the first 10 pages, as I am not a fan of reading other people's perspectives regarding the Bible. However after reading the sample, I realized that I resonated with what the author had to say a lot more than I thought I would. With that being said, I will read the rest of the book. I don't think it was well edited as I found this error during my read: ...make out first = make our first... (Location 117). What I liked most is that the author has a realistic opinion with regards to organized religion and for what the book is, there is nothing that can be improved upon, besides another round of editing. I did see an Online Book Review, but I must admit that it didn't influence my decision to read the book.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2020, at 2:00 am by MeganDJ.

Aditi Sapate

I probably wouldn't have chosen to read this book based on the title, cover and genre, as I usually don't prefer reading books based on religious books. The official OnlineBookClub review gave me a brief summary of the book. When I started sampling the book, I realised that I do not have all the necessary background information to be able to understand the book properly. For example, I do not know what Holy Communion is, which is written about in the first chapter. I will thus not continue reading this book. However, I liked the author's approach of dealing with such a sensitive topic respectfully. The sample did not contain any grammatical errors as far as I read it.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2020, at 1:55 am by Aditi Sapate.

AvidBibliophile

The cover art conveys a sense of spiritual enlightenment and awe-inspiring wonder. The vastness of the universe and all that it holds is adequately represented by the professionally rendered layout. The Amazon product description entices prospective readers with mentions of taking a scientific and philosophical approach to understanding salvation, free will, and the Trinity. Devout followers of organized religion (and all of its associated faith principles) might be hesitant to sample this title based on the boldly worded product synopsis. I like that Chapter 1 begins with the author's background in Catholicism, including some of the warnings against sinful condemnation he experienced as a child. The sections discussing artificial birth control and visual hallucinations piqued my interest as well.

This book appears to need some further professional editing. On the first page of the Introduction, a proper mention of "the [bible]" should be capitalized, and there is missing hyphenation in a compound adjective "in(-)depth attempt" on that same page. The following page shows an inconsistency with hyphen usage: "all knowing, all powerful, all loving, all-perfect..." and there should not be an apostrophe present in "God's one creation and [it's] continuing chain reaction..." In the third paragraph of the Introduction, there is a missing possessive apostrophe in "in preparation for Jesus[_] return..." There are also several instances of misused semicolons and missing commas. The one published OBC review offers a persuasively positive recommendation, as do all 11 of the currently posted Amazon user ratings. Since I don't generally choose to read books that involve religious mentions, biblical stories, God's will, or any sort of faith-based component, I will be passing on this one. This book would likely appeal to most open-minded readers who are curious about exploring the depths of these topics beyond what is traditionally shared in doctrinal teachings.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2020, at 1:44 am by AvidBibliophile.

winecellarlibrary

I would not have read this book on my own based on the title or cover. The cover depicts a church, so I immediately recognized this to be a religious book, though the title did not mean anything to me. I do not read religious books. The official OBC review confirmed my suspicions, though it explained that this text is refuting some of the claims that organized religion makes. This piqued my interest somewhat.

The book appears to be well-written, but it could use additional editing. I like the premise of the book and believe that agnostics would greatly benefit from reading it. Besides additional editing, I have nothing to suggest as far as improvements.

Although I find the content of this book to be unique, I am still not interested enough in the content to read further after sampling the first ten pages. I enjoyed the author's conversational style, and I'm sure this book will be enjoyed by its target audience.

Here are some of the errors I encountered at the beginning of the sample:

Dedications: "He impressed upon me the undying understanding that TRUTH must be accepted and honored at all cost[]." (Should be "costs.")

Acknowledgements: "...what I had been taught as being factual and irrefutable was really a faith-based system of rules and regulations [which] had been developed and changed ad nauseam..." (Should be "that." Look up usage of "that" vs. "which" for restrictive and non-restrictive phrases.)

Introduction: "This journey would lead me to a comprehensive reading and re-reading of the [b]ible." ("Bible" should be capitalized.)

Introduction: "...(all[]knowing, all[]powerful, all-perfect)." (All should be hyphenated, not just the last one.)

First Ten review added on December 3, 2020, at 1:42 am by winecellarlibrary.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb, OBC review, cover and title. I don’t like non-fiction books or books that are about religion. After reading the first ten pages, I won’t be finishing this book. I did like the author’s anecdote about his first communion. I was raised Catholic, so I can relate to his story about how taking the host incorrectly was a sin and how eating or drink first was a sin. I could also relate to taking the stories literally at a young age. However, I’m not into the religious aspect even if it comes from a more philosophical approach. Also, the editing needs improvement as there were several errors that told me it was not professionally edited. For example, “make out first communion” should be “make our first communion”. I don’t read books that aren’t edited.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2020, at 1:19 am by anneloretrujillo.

Mounce574

The title seemed a little odd for a Christian book. I liked the laid back delivary of the book but encountered several errors in what I read. For example:
"If any one of us had done so, we would not have been allowed to make out first communion;
deliberately receiving Holy Communion after eating or drinking anything after midnight was a mortal sin and would mean certain and direct condemnation to hell for all eternity if one died before confessing that sin; what a terrifying thought!!!" I believe out was intended to be our.
Another round of editing would be beneficial. I still enjoyed how the author was able to convey the difference in organized religion versus spirutuality. The OBC review did influence my decision in sampling the book as I would have probably bypassed it. After editing, I would buy this book for my personal library.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2020, at 12:44 am by Mounce574.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book as I do not think this is my genre. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The book's writing really did not connect with me – it sounded pretentious and wordy. I also found an error where a semicolon was used incorrectly: "On the other hand, my research and study left one immense void; certain knowledge and understanding of and about Jesus Christ." Therefore perhaps some more editing is needed and can also lessen the redundancies. I did enjoy a more scientific and factual perspective to talk about religion, however. The official review did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 11:02 pm by psychopathycathy.

Mbrooks2518

This book just doesn't interest me, so I would not have read the sample without the First Ten, and I am not going to buy the book. I liked that the author used a personal anecdote to start explaining his development of doubt. I also liked his tone during the first chapter. He comes across as very passionate about wanting to find answers.

I did find one editing mistake on page 9, where it says "the creation story in Genesis 1and 2." There's a space missing after 1. Besides this error, nothing needs to be improved. The official review had no affect on my opinion.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 9:43 pm by Mbrooks2518.

gabrielletiemi

Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D. is a non-fiction book that approaches the theme of God's essence in a unique manner with scientific and philosophical questions. If I didn't sample this book, I wouldn't read it based on its genre and based on its Official OnlineBookClub review that I saw since I thought that this book resembled a common book that questions the Church. After sampling it, I changed my mind, and I will read the entire volume since I found the author's approach unique and fascinating, which was my favorite aspect. Besides, the book seems professionally edited and there's nothing to be improved in it.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 8:13 pm by gabrielletiemi.

diana lowery

At first I thought the title said, Surviving Antsy (as in being restless), then I looked at the subtitle and realized it was possibly about time travel. The cover made me think that it was a romance novel. The blurb had an ominous tone: "pretend to be human." I liked that in the acknowledgments the author said "thanks for the honest comments that sometimes hurt..." The "Author's Notes" were very informative. While reading the first ten pages, I found it hard to follow the narrative. There was a sentence fragment, "Human pirates who would give him gold for a living cargo and even more for the unusual drugs he could provide." The review was excellent and cleared up my confusion about the plot; however, I will not finish the book because I do not enjoy reading about characters with supernatural powers. I do not have any suggestions for improvement. I am sure that readers who enjoy this genre will be pleased with the book.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 3:59 pm by diana lowery.

Mstrtim

I typically do not enjoy Christian books unless they contain some significant exegesis or historical analysis. The Official Review did not make me want to read the book. Neither did the cover. However, the content revealed within the first ten pages did strike my fancy as the author realistically described a childhood very much like my own. What I liked most about what I read were the questions that the author posed for herself, because I have also asked those same types of questions for years. However, I probably won't be reading this book because based on the Amazon sample, it's filled to the brim with errors. The first sentence begins, "One might reasonably ask;" in which a semi-colon is used instead of a colon. Continuing on, "Catholic Church" is sometimes capitalized, sometimes not. There are punctuation errors galore. So, the one thing I disliked most was the shoddy, unprofessional editing. My recommendation for improvement is that the author find an editor to give this book a once over asap.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 2:54 pm by Mstrtim.

Nickolas Farmakis

This is a philosophical book with the author's opinions on God and religions. I would not have read this book based on the cover, the title, or the genre, as I do not like philosophical books. I will not read this book because it seemed uninteresting and cliche to me. The sample I read had some errors, such as 'Jesus was Devine', instead of 'Jesus was Divine', so this book has not been professionally edited. What I liked most about this book was the writer explained herself in a very logical and rational way. To improve, the author should check this book again for grammatical errors so that it seems more professionally edited. This book had an Official OnlineBookClub review, which did not influence my decision.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 2:01 pm by Nickolas Farmakis.

Maria Esposito

I knew I would not be reading this book before I sampled it. Firstly, the blurb was confusing: when writing "it" the author does not specify if they're talking about the book or religion. Furthermore, I do not understand the background the author is coming from: do they want to redefine God from a Christian perspective? If not, what exact philosophical and/or scientific perspective are they approaching religion with? Lastly, the blurb has a typo: "its' entities" (there should not be an apostrophe after "its.") The cover design and title did not make me any more interested in the book. The fact that it has seven customer reviews on Amazon had no impact on my decision. Reading the first ten pages did not make me change my mind. I agree with the author that some of the tenets imposed by the Church are total nonsense, including birth control guidelines and the promotion of a culture of guilt and suppression. However, I found the writing style dull and wordy. Furthermore, the book does not appear professionally edited, as I came across a few errors: for example, the author fails to capitalize the word "Bible" and writes "in depth attempt" instead of "in-depth attempt," both on the first page. The book has an official review on this website, but this had no impact on my decision.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 1:43 pm by Maria Esposito.

ritah

Based on the cover and title, I would have sampled the book out of curiosity. I read the official review and sampled the book. I could relate to the author reading and rereading the bible (that's something I used to do a lot when I started asking questions more). I like that the author used the knowledge of the sciences, the bible, and Big Bang theory to relate the universe to God. Not sure if this was intentional but I considered this to be an error on location 88, "...decades later John's followers wrote that Jesus was Devine ; God but not equal to father..."
Aside from the error and the unnecessary spacing, I didn't see other areas needing improvement. I will be reading the rest of the book because I'm interested in the content.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 1:15 pm by ritah.

Elvis Best

Based on the title of the book, I doubt I would have read the book, as the title did not pique my interest. Further, after reading the sample pages, I would not read this book because I am not interested in the discussion of the concepts of God, the Holy Spirit, or the Trinity. The one thing I liked most was the sheer amount of research evident in the author's clear and authoritative writing, and I also do not have any suggestions for improvement. Also, although I found a few minor errors in the sample, I believe the book was professionally edited. For example, in the following sentence, the word "Jesus" should be changed to "Jesus's": "Paul was convinced that after Jesus ascension into heaven..." Lastly, I read a review of the book that was nicely written.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 11:43 am by Elvis Best.

AnnOgochukwu

When I first saw this book, prior to it being BOTD, I decided that I wasn't going to read it (I didn't even bother to check out the review). With its cover page and title looking all spiritual and preachy, I concluded that it wasn't my kind of book, so I dismissed it. Eventually, this book is BOTD and I decide to read the official review, and my mind is changed in a matter of seconds. The book wasn't what I assumed it to be. It was quite the opposite, and I was curious to read it for myself. So, the OBC review strongly influenced my decision to sample this book. Without it, I wouldn't have sampled this book (unless it was for this program).

Having read a bit of the book, I'm certain that I would be completing it. I love the reason (motivation) for this book, and the subject matter of the book interests me. More importantly, this book affects me in a personal way; I have experienced the feeling of being in the wilderness, searching to know which path is right. Although I think I've found the right path, I believe this book would provide me with more clarity.
I liked everything about this book, even the parts where I do not entirely agree with the author. I understand that this is simply the author sharing his knowledge and opinion on this controversial topic of religion. On that note, I don't think this book needs any improvement.

I noticed a couple of errors, especially subtle missing commas. There should have been a comma before 'and' in this statement: "...a back-sit to money, power and control." Regardless, I believe this book was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 11:19 am by AnnOgochukwu.

gen_g

Based on the title and cover, it seems like a book with religious/spiritual themes, which I am not in the market for; hence, I would not have sampled it. I have also come across a positive OBC review of the book, but this would not have changed my decision not to sample, since this book does not belong to a genre that I am looking for. After sampling, there are a couple of errors present. For example, at 0% in the sample, there is a missing comma to mark the introductory clause: "Deep in the heart of the Great Depression in 1933 and thereafter for 17 years(,) my parents could not afford...". I suggest more editing. However, I appreciated that the author took the time to include a bit of information from his childhood, as it would help the readers to relate to the book's content better, after knowing where the author comes from (both geographically and mentally). For example, we learn that the author grew up in hard times, having to draw water from a cistern, having a wood heater stove in the family room and a wood-fired cookstove in the kitchen. Still, amidst these setbacks, the author still managed to be the valedictorian of his high school graduating class. This achievement actually helped him get a partially funded scholarship to university, where his biology professor then helped him to get into medical school. However, as I am not in the market for books with heavy religious themes, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 5:18 am by gen_g.

sssns

The cover and title did not capture my attention, so I will not sample the book outside the program. But, I must say that the layout of the book cover looked neat and organized. It somehow reminded me of Christmas because of the sparkling sky. From the title, I had no clue about the religious content of the book. It only occurred to me when I saw the fine print of the subtitle. It was too small to notice. I seldom read religious works, so I knew this would be a pass. However, the blurb seemed intriguing. The book was presenting a different take on religion, so I was curious. The customer reviews were also enthusiastic. After sampling, the contents were interesting enough. I liked the attempt to present something different. But, I was hoping to find other organized religions in the discussion, like a comparative analysis. From the sample, it only mentioned the Catholic Church. I suggest identifying the organized religion included in the study. It will help in setting the expectations of the readers. As for editing, the book needs another round of proofreading to address the errors. Here are some examples.

Location 21: Pronoun shift, missing comma, missing hyphen.

"[He] was raised on a very small farm in a [three room] house with no electricity or indoor facilities of any kind. Deep in the heart of the Great Depression in 1933 and thereafter for 17 years[ ] [my] parents could not afford the cost of having electric lines installed out our little dirt private road of nearly one [half mile] in length."

Location 34: Capitalization.

"After completing an internship at St Louis City Hospital and a year of general surgery residency at St Louis County Hospital, I [Returned] to the nearby town of Mayfield, Kentucky to do family practice."

Location 52: Missing apostrophe.

"Chapter 3 The Trinity and [Gods] Will"

The official OnlineBookClub review was enthusiastic. It added to my curiosity. But, I would like to wait for the neatly edited copy. For now, I will keep this book in mind.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 4:29 am by sssns.

Kelyn

If I were not a member of this program, it is highly unlikely that the genre, title, cover, or author would have brought this book to my attention. I seldom read religion-based books as I generally find them one of three things: evangelistic, boring, or offensive. As it is not a genre I normally consider reading, even if I had run across the book, neither the title nor the cover, which is obviously a church, would have affected my interest or lack thereof. I am unfamiliar with the author, so that would not have affected my decision. However, the blurb caught my attention when it mentioned that "...All conclusions are contradictory to what is commonly accepted and taught by organized religion..." I was twelve when I seriously began to question what I was being taught compared to what the Bible actually said, so this struck a chord with me. Though positive, customer reviews did nothing to further my interest in the book, as many were simply repeating religious rhetoric. Although I did not see a review from this program on the Amazon site, if I had, I would have been interested in what the reviewer had to say. The review on this site was highly complimentary of the book. This led to somewhat high expectations going into the sample. I must say it was intriguing. I agreed with some things Dr. Hunt had to say but disagreed with others. I had to laugh when she(?) referred to God, in the old testament, being described as "...a string-pulling puppeteer who is manipulative and vengeful and willing to slaughter millions of his own people on a whim." This very thing has been the subject of innumerable conversations in our household ever since my children were old enough to notice the discrepancy and question it. I disagree with her(?) stance that we do not have free will, but the sample has intrigued me enough that I am willing to hear what the author has to say. I have already purchased the book and will be reading it. Although the book seemed fairly well-edited, I did find a couple of mistakes in the sample. One of these was: “…Sunday after Sunday the pulpits riled against artificial birth control…” - misused word – ‘riled’ should be ‘railed’ – ‘riled’ (according to the Cambridge dictionary) means to have become angry or to have made some(one) angry. “Railed” (according to the same source) is more apt for this sentence. It means 'to complain or protest angrily.’ The words are similar but not interchangeable.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 3:51 am by Kelyn.

Arimart99

If I hadn't sampled this book for this program, I would not have sampled it based on its title, cover, or Official OnlineBookClub review because I don't like to read books about religion. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be reading the rest of the book because I am not fond of religious books. I also did not like the mention of the Trinity since I do not believe in the Trinity, so that was an instant turn-off. My favorite part of this book, from what I know about it based on the review and first ten pages, is the fact that the author is mixing science and religion together instead of against each other. I am personally both religious and a lover of science, so it's nice to see books like this exist. There is nothing I would change about the book to improve it and it does seem professionally edited.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 3:46 am by Arimart99.

sonya01

Upon reading the OBC reviewer‘s comments about this book, I was mildly interested but probably wouldn’t have gone so far as to pick it up for a closer look. The cover is easy on the eye, and the title intriguing, but I am not sufficiently interested in religious issues to seek out a book like this. The sample was written in a very conversational way, hence easy to read and interesting. I really liked and was surprised to find many of the most perplexing questions that I have had in the past brought out into the first few pages. Unfortunately, the sample was replete with errors, some minor grammatical mishaps but some major word issues, like the mistaken spelling of the word breach as breech. The two mean something entirely different. I think this book might need another round of editing for sure. There wasn’t anything I disliked about the book and, apart from the errors, I cannot suggest any improvements. I think this will make excellent reading for Christians with enquiring minds. I am not interested in Christian literature at the moment and so wouldn’t read this one.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 3:14 am by sonya01.

J_odoyo

Hilary L. Hunt had a good idea of writing this book; however, while reading this book, a devoted Christian who studies the Bible will quickly identify a few contradicting information in this book. For instance, he writes that Paul “exhorted the believers to abandon their usual lifestyle of marriage, work, etc.” I have read the whole New Testament, and I have never come across anything like that. First of all, there is no quoted verse to support that, and it contradicts second Thessalonians 3:10 where Apostle Paul wrote: “…The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.” There are many true things he has noted in the first ten pages of this book, especially concerning the Catholic Church, but his introduction could pin this book down; there is unconfirmed information in that part. I can’t read this book because of such loopholes.

I think the cover page was okay, and the title was also attractive. I did find a statement with repeated words: “…the hierarchy seem to be to be having a tough time reading God’s mind…” However, I believe the book was professionally edited. Impressively, the book also had an official OnlineBookClub review, which gave insight into what the book entails. I liked the book’s description on the Amazon website; it was succinct and informative enough to allow for an accurate guess of what the book is all about. Having read a few pages and the OnlineBookClub review, I’m not going to finish reading this book; it annoys me to read statements contradicting the infallible word of God.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 2:33 am by J_odoyo.

MsH2k

After reading the blurb, I would not have sampled this book if I were not part of this program. The blurb seemed sensationalistic, with generalizations I found off-putting. I think it is important to ask questions and search for answers, and I appreciate the author’s diligence in seeking answers to his questions. I am a Christian, and when I became an adult, I had questions about what I was taught as a child. I had to develop my own personal relationship with God, and I continue to learn and grow in my faith. I do not like that it appears the author dismisses the Bible in favor of his own reasoning. Without the Bible as a plumb line to gauge his logic, there is no basis for the truth he is seeking. An example is the author believes that if God had emotions, it would “indicate a weakness in His armor.” I cannot reconcile this logic with the many instances in the Bible that reference God’s being angry or pleased with something. I will not buy this book. It could be a great exercise in challenging some things I may have taken for granted, but I will not engage in this exercise because the Bible seems to be used only when it’s convenient.

I noticed several grammatical errors in the sample pages. Here are a few. At loc 21, [three room] should be hyphenated: “He was raised on a very small farm in a three room house with no electricity.”
At loc 22, a comma is missing after the introductory adverbial phrase ending with [years]: “Deep in the heart of the Great Depression in 1933 and thereafter for 17 years my parents could not afford the cost of having electric lines installed.”
At loc 22, the point of view abruptly switched from third person to first person, requiring me to reread several sentences.

Neither the featured OnlineBookClub review nor any other ratings influenced my decision not to buy this book. A suggestion for improvement would be to have another round of editing.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 1:00 am by MsH2k.

sanjus

The cover and the title hinted to me that this book focuses on Christianity. Therefore, I read the official review of this book because I was curious to know more about the contents of this book. The official review helped me to understand that the book offers a nice way of understanding God and the Universe through a scientific and philosophical approach. This information encouraged me to read the sample of the book before purchasing it. When I read the first ten pages, I realized that this book is not professionally edited because I found some grammatical errors. For example, the sentence "But in the Old Testament God is described repeatedly as a string-pulling puppeteer who is manipulative and vengeful and willing to slaughter millions of his own people on a whim... ". The sentence could have been, "But in the Old Testament, God is described repeatedly as a string-pulling puppeteer who is manipulative, vengeful and willing to slaughter millions of his people on a whim... ". The thing l liked the most is the description regarding the New Testament and the Old Testament, which was quite informative to me. My suggestion to the author would be to go for a round of professional editing. This book may hurt the religious feelings of the people who follow Christianity. Considering all these facts, I decided not to purchase and read this book today but wait until the author addresses my suggestion so that reading this book could be rewarding to me.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2020, at 12:17 am by sanjus.

Katie Canedy

The title was interesting, and I did not expect the sample of Wilderness Cry to pertain to religion. The subtitle is a little small, so if there are any improvements to suggest, it would be to make this bigger so readers can see it better. I love that the author is open and not judgmental about people; these are traits that are not always present in religious books. I am thrilled that this one is this way, and I am excited to read more about the church and religion from this author's perspective. I did notice a grammatical error 26% through the sample. In one of the sentences, there is a lack of space between the number "1" and the word "and". There is also an official OnlineBookClub review for Wilderness Cry, and I can say that this review made my decision to read this book more confident. Readers that are interested in learning more about the Christian religion without judgment should not skip this book; it is indeed a rare find.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 11:53 pm by Katie Canedy.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I wouldn’t have read it. I'm not religious nor do I enjoy books about religion. After reading the first ten pages I didn’t change my mind and therefore will not be buying and reading the rest of this book. I liked how the book took a light-hearted approach to the concept of a wide variety of mortal sins, especially those surrounding the tradition of the first communion. That being said, I'm just not interested in religious based literature, even if it is primarily based on logic and original thought. I didn’t see anything specific that I would have wanted to change within the sample that I read, but it did seem well written and edited. The official review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 10:29 pm by Scerakor.

Sou Hi

The cover looks nice and suitable with the title and the summary, as it portrays a church. The official review and Amazon's responses seem good, so I opt for this book. The sample discusses the author's doubt about the concept of God and proceeds to present his ideal image of God.

I like the refreshing thoughts of the author about God and the Churches. In my opinion, how can you be sure what the Churches said is God's will itself or just something they want you to believe? Churches are operated by humans, like us, so it's certain that they are bound to be imperfect. The author was brave to point out that flaw and even address their wrongdoings. However, as a realist, I'm not keen on digging into this field. I do have certain knowledge about the Bible's events, but I'm not interested in studying about spiritual beings. Therefore, I'm not buying this book. Right now, I have no complaints about the sample but the sloppy editing, as there are a number of errors. Also, I think a semicolon shouldn't be used after i.e.

Error example: I'm one crying out for truth in a w1lderness of confusion -> Typo, should be [wilderness]

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 10:07 pm by Sou Hi.

Twylla

Normally I would not sample the text on Amazon for this book based on the cover and the title. I have read so many religious books, I just assume they will all say the same thing – the standard Christian message.

But because I read the sample text on Amazon as part of the First Ten program and the Book of the Month, I would DEFINITELY buy and read this book. Dr. Hunt makes some interesting points. Once I started reading it, I couldn't stop. I read 90% of the book in one sitting. It is really a good book!

My favorite chapter so far is Chapter 7 “The Bible”. The Old Testament was passed down orally – how accurate could it be? I believe it IS the inspired word of God but it is more symbolic and poetic and was never meant to be taken literally to the letter (for example the creation story in Genesis is taught in my church to have transpired literally in 7 calendar days... Come on! ) Dr. Hunt makes some very interesting points.

The one improvement that is needed most is to have the book professionally edited. The message is too important to be lost on misspelled words and punctuation problems.

The OBC review was well written and represented the book well; however, it stated “there are no obvious editorial errors  “ There are 9 reviews on Amazon and none of them mention the errors. I liked the content of the book but it would benefit from a review by a professional editor. I found 13 errors and I stopped looking for errors after page 4.

Errors:
1) As I began an [ in depth] attempt at conceptualizing God, loc 89

2) This, in turn, [lead] to the development of concepts of God’s Will and the Holy Spirit. [leads] loc 89

3) All of these will be covered in detail in [ ] following chapters. [the] loc 89

4) I developed a scheme of creation based on the big bang which explains precisely the concept of God as Omni-everything ([all knowing],[ all powerfu]l, [all loving], all-perfect).
[should be hyphenated] loc 90

5) he exhorted the believers to abandon their usual lifestyle of marriage, work, etc. and put on a holy face inwardly and outwardly in preparation for [Jesus] return [Jesus' return] loc 103

6) They seemed to think of Him as the Christ or Messiah, that is the “Chosen One” or messenger of God, but not God; decades later John’s followers wrote that Jesus was [Devine ]
[divine] loc 108

7) I had been [well schooled] in the sacrilege it would be to allow my teeth to touch the host
[well-schooled], page 1

8) nowadays, most communion hosts are distributed by lay people and the recipient
[laypeople] page 1

9) now realize that what I had perceived at age seven to be a [God given ] directive mediated through the church to be nothing more than someone’s (hierarchy of the church) made up
rule under the guise of Magisterium [God-given] page 1

10) (the hierarchy seem [to be to be ] having a tough time reading God’s mind or God keeps changing His mind; I doubt that). [repeated “to be”] page 2

11 ) I have witnessed the making of innumerable basket cases generated in [guilt ridden ]religious fanatics. [hypenated] page 4

12) They should be teaching a thorough graphic understanding of the Trinity and Its function instead of making it a [so called] mystery which is unintelligible: [hyphenated] page 4

13) I answer; “I AM ONE CRYING OUT FOR TRUTH IN A W1LDERNESS OF CONFUSION, MISCONCEPTION, [DECIET ] [ ] AND IGNORANCE.” [deceit] [missing comma] page 4

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 8:57 pm by Twylla.

VernaVi

Had I not sampled this book through the First Ten program, I would not have chosen it because the cover and overall presentation doesn’t appeal to me.
For this reason, I don’t intend to purchase and read the whole book.
Reading the first ten pages didn’t change my mind about reading the book, but I can see how fans of scientific theory written by characters like Stephen Hawking may enjoy this work.
Based on what I read, the book seems professionally edited, although I did notice errors in the first ten pages such as a missing hyphen at location 1% of the sample, “As I began an in[-]depth attempt at conceptualizing God, I was immediately confronted with the mystery of the Trinity.”
What I liked most about what I read is how the author uses more than one source to support the ideas and theories mentioned in this book.
I know that fans of philosophy will enjoy this book.
As far as improvements, another round of proofreading for minor errors would be good.
I did read the Official Online Book Club review and found it insightful. It didn’t affect my views of the book.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 8:55 pm by VernaVi.

Wy_Bertram

I would have flipped through a few pages to sate my curiosity about the cover and title.

No, I won't be reading the entire book. It's religious nonfiction, as I suspected, and not my cup of tea.

I did not find any errors within the first ten pages.

I liked the scientific backdrop of the author's religious journey. It shows that one can have their own personal understanding of the scripture.

This book was given a perfect rating in an official onlinebookclub review.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 7:42 pm by Wy_Bertram.

Odette Chace

I like the title and the cover, though the title did not give me a good idea of what to expect from the book (I anticipated a wilderness survival tale). The synopsis on Amazon was intriguing. I am glad that there is an official review because it answered a lot of the questions I had after reading the synopsis. I was relieved to read that the book can be enjoyed by people of all religious beliefs. Overall, I am excited to sample the book. "All students, except an occasional non catholic, were required to attend daily Mass, and the first class each day was Catholic Catechism" (0% of sample). It should be "non-Catholic." I noticed several errors in the "About the Author" section alone, and don't believe that the work was professionally edited. However, I found the writing compelling. The author's passion was palpable. I am looking forward to finishing the book and joining in this month's discussion.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 7:36 pm by Odette Chace.

Readerjorge

In the sample, the author narrates how despite his strict Catholic raising he embarked on a journey of reasoning and analysis about all those religious teachings he received. I agree with the author that some religious teachings are terrifying. For example, the one that says one goes direct to hell for all eternity if one dies before confessing a sin committed. The approach of adopting a critical and analytical attitude towards religious aspects imposed from childhood seemed right to me. I like the intention of the author to share his analysis without wanting to impose a particular belief, rather encouraging the readers to create their own judgment.
I also accord with the author on the existence of God and on the characteristics mentioned in the sample: perfect, almighty, all-knowing, and all good. The official review is favorable to the book and encourages its reading. As for the edition, I found several details to comment on. For instance, in 25% of the sample says “(the hierarchy seems to be to be having a tough time…)” it seems that it should be 'seems' instead of 'seem'. In addition, there is a wrong additional 'to be'. Also, in 62% of the sample, it reads "is it possible to be more perfect then perfect?" It seems like it should be than instead of then. Plus, there are several references to 'Gods' where it seems the correct word is God's. For instance, to 92% of the sample, it says “if only we had Gods mind.” The cover is a bit gloomy, but I think it is in keeping with the approach of the book. The subject captures my attention, and the book is well-structured and well-focused, so I think I will read the rest of it.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 7:22 pm by Readerjorge.

Kajori50

'Wilderness Cry' is written by Hilary M. Hunt M.D. The author uses mathematical, metaphysical, and other logical subjects to understand God. Jesus Christ is still an enigma. He talks about family planning and artificial birth control. It seems to be a religious book backed by logic. I like this aspect of the book. I found some errors. For example, there should have been a comma after “there" in “From there the biblical stories became muddled..” Apart from such minor errors, the book seems to be well-edited. The cover, title, OBC review and the Amazon reviews are all complimentary to the book. However, I will skip this book as I am not in the mind-frame to read a book of this genre as of now.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 6:48 pm by Kajori50.

Tiny_Turtle

Without the first ten program I would not have been interested in reading "A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe". Reading the first ten pages did not change my mind. It is possible that the book was professionally edited. I did not notice any errors. I have no suggestions for improvements.

There was no particular part that I liked more than another. Although, I did find it interesting, and a little confusing, that the author had been taught as a child that it was a sin to chew the communion wafer: "...it would be mortally sinful to do so deliberately, and moderately sinful to do so accidentally (location 144)." How would a person be able to swallow it without choking? (No disrespect intended to anyone who believes it. I have just never heard of it before.)

The OnlineBookClub review did not influence my decision. I will not be reading the whole book. I am not interested in having another person's experiences or opinions influence my understanding of spirituality.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 5:38 pm by Tiny_Turtle.

Momiji1987

The author makes some interesting suggestions about the nature of God. He asserts that since God is perfect, it’s impossible to hurt him. I suspect he provides more knowledge on this point as the book goes on, but if that’s the case, why do humans and animals have emotions? The book is definitely stimulating to me intellectually, though I’m not sure about every idea he’s presenting. I do agree that some religious practices can be superstitious, like the story he told about his Catholic nun teacher who made sure no one drank from the water fountain before getting the communion that night. She believed if any child ate or drank without confessing as much, they would go to hell. I like that the author attempts to find the truth, I’ve done that myself, but I find it frustrating because it’s practically impossible to know what the truth is from a worldly standpoint. The book is well-written, but I did notice errors throughout. “Lead” instead of “led”, missing determiners, and hyphens “in depth” instead of “in-depth”. The review was very positive and gave me a good understanding of the content. I like the cover and allusion to John the Baptist in the title. I wouldn’t have found this book outside the program. I suggest more thorough editing, otherwise the book is fine. I’m not Interested in reading currently because I’m content with my faith as it is, but I’ll keep it on my list.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 5:18 pm by Momiji1987.

Jsovermyer

I like the title, but I can tell by the cover picture that this is a religious book. Since I avoid reading religious texts, I would not buy this book from the cover alone. This book presents God and religion from a more scientific approach. The author has a controversial viewpoint about sin. The official reviewer liked this book. I found several errors in the sample. The first is at location 136 where it says, "Jesus was Devine." The word should be divine. I also noticed that the author never capitalizes the word 'bible," but does capitalize words such as Devine, Church, and His Love. I liked that the author questioned what his church marked as sinful. Terrible atrocities have been committed in the name of Christianity. I didn't like how the author would hint at something and then say it would be discussed later, such as, "I then began to analyze my concept of God as Omni-everything. That analysis will be presented in a later chapter." To me, that is annoying; like starting to tell a joke but not giving the punchline. I don't like discussing religion and so will not be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 4:26 pm by Jsovermyer.

Laura Bach

I was pleased to see this cover, and even the title sparked some interest into me. However, religious books are never on my list, so I was determined to skip this book from the start. The OBC review mentioned controversial topics in this book, which made me curious. I liked the fact that the author brings up science and Stephen Hawking. That makes me trust him more, as a lover of science. But still, the author doesn't manage to convince me that this book is any different compared to other Christian books. Maybe it would've been better if the discussion about science was more developed instead of just mentioned. Since the author usually uses commas in enumerations, I can't help but point out a place where the comma is missing: "absolute, factual and irrefutable." A more serious error is the missing of the possessive "'s" in "Paul was convinced that after Jesus ascension into heaven". Thus, this book is not perfectly edited.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 3:51 pm by Laura Bach.

Miriam Molina

"I am the only person to ever define God's essence. I prove religion to be a hoax." That declaration from the author scandalized me, but made me curious too. Thus, despite the uninteresting cover and title, I wanted to know what the author had to say, even without First Ten. After reading the sample, I decided I didn't need to read the rest of the book. I am happy with my faith and now is not the time to question it. Besides, the book was fraught with errors. The author had trouble with punctuation (commas, semicolons, dashes, and apostrophes) and capitalization. I also noted misspellings: At 23% of the sample, the author said, "allowed to make out first communion"; "out" should be "our." At 56% of the sample, he spelled "deceit" as "deciet" in a dramatic statement written in all capital letters. I liked the author's honesty and bravery in writing the book. He acknowledged that he will be "attacked on all sides." Indeed, he made many controversial statements. Getting the book edited properly will help people take him seriously. The book has an official OBC review that rates the book highly; the reviewer also mentions that "there are no obvious editorial errors" in the book. I wonder if the reviewer read a different version of the book.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 3:06 pm by Miriam Molina.

B Creech

I would have checked this book out on the cover and title alone. However, after reading the official review, I immediately considered that this would not be the book for me as I am adamant about my beliefs. Almost immediately, when I began reading the sample, I knew I would disagree with many things the author says. I am a staunch believer that the Bible is the divine word of God and that every word therein is true. Nothing in it is fictitious. The part I read is professional and forthright, and it is well-edited, although I did find a couple of minor errors. For instance, at 20% of the sample, there is a statement in parenthesis that has a repetition of words: "(the hierarchy seem to be to be having a tough time reading God's mind or God keeps changing His mind. I doubt that)." One of the 'to be's' should be removed. Although I did not see anything other than the fact that there is a God that I agreed with the author on and the minor errors, I did not find anything that needed to be improved. Hopefully, this book will be helpful to those who have questions, but I don't intend to read the entire book because it is already clear to me that I can't entirely agree with the author on many concepts.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 2:58 pm by B Creech.

Emy Katherine

As I am not interested in reading religious books, I would not have read the book without this program. Neither the sample nor the OBC review changed my mind. Throughout his book, the author shares how he lost faith in organized religion as he grew older. He was so confused and tired of having so many unanswered questions about God and the universe that, when he turned 30, he decided to seek God's truth by using a philosophical and scientific approach. I found the Amazon blurb concise and also appreciated the author's expository writing style. Unfortunately, I found some distracting grammatical and punctuation errors while sampling the book. For example, it should be written "the hierarchy seems to be having" instead of "the hierarchy seem to be to be having" in the following sentence: "The hierarchy seem to be to be having a difficult time reading God’s mind, or God keeps changing his mind." (location 92 of 255 • 36%) All in all, I would only suggest another round of editing. Those who enjoy reading religious non-fiction books will surely find this one thought-provoking.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 2:23 pm by Emy Katherine.

Juliana_Isabella

I wouldn't have chosen this book because I don't usually read nonfiction. Even though the review I read was positive, it didn't make me want to read the book because I'm not usually interested in religious books. I found an error on the second page of the introduction in which the author used "it's" instead of "its" ("It explains easily the perfect universe in which we live; God's one creation and it's continuing chain reaction which we call evolution"). Unfortunately, this wasn't the only error I found. These many errors made me doubt the author's credibility, so I don't plan to finish the book.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 1:34 pm by Juliana_Isabella.

Eva Stoyanova

I wouldn't have chosen to read or sample this book if I wasn't part of this program. I wasn't interested in neither the cover nor the title or the genre of the book. After reading the official review I only became more certain that I wouldn't enjoy the book. I don't like books about religion, God, the Bible, etc. So this is definitely something I would not read. I am not going to buy and read the book. As I mentioned, the topics of the book are not interesting to me. I didn't change my mind after reading the first ten pages.

The book seems professionally edited. I haven't found any errors or typos in the bit I read. There isn't anything I particularly liked about this book. I believe it would be a nice read for other types of readers who enjoy reading about religion, God, and ideas based on research and clear reasoning. I don't have any suggestions for improvement.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 1:14 pm by Eva Stoyanova.

Laura Lee

I honestly haven't made up my mind whether or I'll read this book yet or not. It's not my typical genre, but the review's explanation of what the book contains and the sample pages combined are very enticing. I am intrigued and interested by how the author brings in science and philosophy. While I shan't be purchasing it today, it's going on my list of books to revisit in the future.

What I like best is that the author takes logic and science to the subject matter at hand. That is what is drawing me to the book, plus the reviewer's statement that the author is not overly forceful about his personal beliefs. There is nothing I disliked about the writing itself.

Unlike the reviewer, I did find some typos. For example, on the second page of the introduction, there was a sentence missing some commas: "It is[,] in my opinion[,] impossible to know . . . " Also, on the second page of chapter two, was a misspelled word: "God cannot be please[d] or hurt." But these were very minor and could have been missed by a professional editor, too. It did look to be professionally edited. Overall, this is a very intriguing book. Despite not being a genre I particularly care for the book review and the sample pages have interested me enough, I'm going to put it on my list of books to consider at a later date. The Amazon blurb was interesting but this time around, it was the review more than anything else that is drawing me to read the book. WIthout the review, I would have taken an automatic pass on this book.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 12:54 pm by Laura Lee.

LinaJan

When I first laid my eyes on ‘Wilderness Cry’ by Hilary L Hunt, M.D., I wasn’t sure what to expect. I liked both the cover and the title, but I found that they weren’t speaking to me about what the book contains. Upon reading the official onlinebookclub.org review, I learnt that this book offers a somewhat different take on religious concepts. Usually, I am put off by anything that references religious dogmas or any kind of deities. However, my interest was piqued by the mention of ‘scientific’ and ‘philosophical.’ Having had the opportunity to sample ‘Wilderness Cry,’ I found enjoyment in both the author’s telling about his realisation of the lies that he had been told by the institutionalised religion and the discussion of the concept that every outcome of any occurrence is perfect given the individual circumstance of a particular event. Sadly, I came across a number of instances that point to the lack of editing. For example, there is a comma missing in ‘The earliest writer, Paul believed that Jesus was the […],’ there are typos where a capital letter is used instead of a lower-case in ‘The hierarchy seems to be to be having a tough time […].’ Commas seem to be systematically missing following introductory words/phrases, for example, ‘Of course the Kentucky Wildcats […]’ or ‘From there the biblical stories become muddled and contradictory.’ Despite the lack of editing and proofreading and the fact that I came here with a rather myopic mind, I now find myself eager to go on. So far, I like the author’s philosophical reasoning.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 11:05 am by LinaJan.

Sarah_Khan

I like the cover of this book and the title is interesting. I would not have sampled this without the First Ten program because I do not read books about religion. I am not quite sure if the author intended to use the word "out" instead of "our" in the following sentence: "If any one of us had done so, we would not have been allowed to make out first communion". I was surprised to learn how certain religious rules changed for the author as she grew up. The OBC review gave this book 4 stars. Unfortunately, the review and sample were not enough to change my mind. So, I will not be reading the rest. I do not have any suggestions for the author.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 10:26 am by Sarah_Khan.

Lunastella

I like the cover of the book, especially the subtitle that explains what the book is about because I would've never associated the title with religion or philosophy. The blurb is attractive, with powerful words such as "hoax" and "eye-opener." The ratings for the book are great but I wouldn't have bought it based on first impressions because I don't have clear what's the approach of the author of what qualifies him to explain such big concepts as God and the Universe.
The first ten pages are interesting. I mostly liked that I could relate to the author's experience while growing up. I was raised a Catholic too, and for a while, attended a Catholic school. I was afraid, as the author, of chewing the host. What's up with that? I hope it is explained further along in the book. So far, the narrative tone is also pleasant, although according to the review it becomes too scientific later on.
I found several editing mistakes. Some of them might be intentional, such as not capitalizing "bible" or "bible-belt". But there are also missing prepositions, for example, in position 25: "We lived a true pioneer life; wood heater stove in middle of family room and wood cook stove in kitchen. We drew water from a deep cistern." This paragraph should read "the" stove and "the" middle of "the" family room. I would suggest fixing these editing mistakes.
The official review was essential to my decision of continuing to read the book because it gives a broader perspective of the book than the blurb or even the first ten pages.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 10:13 am by Lunastella.

Bertha Jackson

Normally I do not like to read books about religion because they involve the author’s interpretation, so I would have passed this one up regardless of the cover, title, blurbs, customer reviews, and the OnlineBookClub review. I am buying and reading this one only because it is the BOTM. I was surprised that the OnlineBookClub review stated that the book had no errors because I found over ten errors in the first six pages. I am going to include my list here as proof of my findings.
Page 2: My first approach was the [bible]; (Bible)
Page 3: The most striking thing I encountered in the [o]ld [t]estament, outside of the immediate discrepancy of the creation story in Genis[ ]1 and 2, was the portrayal of God Himself. (capitalization and add space)
Page 4: And I answer[;] “I AM ONE CRYING OUT FOR TRUTH IN A [W1LDERNESS] OF CONFUSION, MISCONCEPTION, [DECIET], AND IGNORANCE.” (both words are misspelled)
Page 5: [ ] (add space to align with a above) b. God cannot be please[d] or hurt.
Page 6: [formatting error] c.[add space]I base my understanding of God on my observation of His universe:...
I do not believe this book has been edited by a professional editor. I do like how the author presents his information and lets the reader make up their own mind. The only thing I would improve is the editing.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 9:35 am by Bertha Jackson.

Alice Ngugi

Can you imagine relearning what you have been taught? But this time, with your own reasoning and sound judgement, under your terms. Doesn't that just sound great? This book is the author's attempt to redefine Christianity as we have been taught all along. He goes into great
detail to discuss the characteristics of God, how perfect, good and great he is. The book brings up an interesting issue about humans thinking they are more special than other God's creation, which he promises to discuss in detail. I love the fact that this book does not only use the Bible as it's reference. As sufficient as the Bible is, I believe scientific theories are able to convince more people who especially are into science themselves. With only two typos so far, I want to believe the book was professionally edited. I love the title and the cover, it does shed a little bit of light on what the book is all about. I found this book quite captivating as it raises a number of interesting debatable topics. It is written in good flowing English with a number of vocabularies. I suggest no improvement so far.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 9:29 am by Alice Ngugi.

Theresam

I like the title and cover art for this book. They caught my attention right away and make me curious about the book. I would have picked the book up based on the cover alone. The Online Book Club review of this book was very positive and gave it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I haven’t read any additional customer reviews of the book. The first ten pages describe the confusion the author felt about religion and how it fits into our daily lives. The first chapter begins with memories of the day of her First Holy Communion and what the day meant to her at the time and now. I saw a few errors in the first ten pages, so I don’t believe the book was professionally edited. For example, on the second page of the introduction, “ This, in turn, lead to the development of concepts” -“lead” should be “led”. Other than additional editing, I didn’t see any area that the author could improve upon. I don’t think I would enjoy reading this book because the subject matter doesn’t interest me. So, I will not finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 9:10 am by Theresam.

AntonelaMaria

This book has an Offical OnlineBookClub review, which is very informative. After reading the sample, I can see how this can be very productive in the discussion on the forum. Even though I am not all that curious to read it, I think I will give it a try, mainly because it is picked as BOTD for OnlineBookClub. I liked the writing style, it is very easily understandable. Furthermore, it seems that the author's points come from an honest and good place. I didn't notice any grammar errors in the sample, and I wouldn't improve anything.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2020, at 9:06 am by AntonelaMaria.

Total ~ 28%

Wilderness Cry earned a score of 28%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 28% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Wilderness Cry

https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/authors/blurb.php?topic_id=129687&bookid=30237