Cover for Timewise

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Timewise

Because Timewise was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

Howlan

The cover looks good. The synopsis gives us a general introduction to this book. The first ten pages are good. It starts with the narrator Ron Larsen, as he first meets Regina, a physics professor at fourteen years and falls in love with her. They play chess and grasually become good friends. After he rents a home and moves in he becomes disinterested in chess and moves to poker as that had more money making capabilities. The narration is esy to understand and the plot seems very interesting to me as I am interested in sci-fi. Also the character of Ron seems fascinating. So, I am going to buy and read this book as I am interested in the story. No typos were found in the first ten pages. I found nothing to improve in the first ten pages. The Official Review is present, and the reviewer rates it three out of four stars.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2020, at 3:59 am by Howlan.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Ekta Kumari

The story revolves around Ron Larsen and Regina Russo. Together they get entrenched in the mysteries of time and what it is. However, this exploration also gets them in deep trouble as they are forced to keep their experiments a secret. I really liked the premise and that it has elements of quantum physics. I would have definitely read the book even if it wasn't a part of the top ten program as I loved the cover and the title intrigued me. While sampling, I found the read quite engaging. Though, the narrative is a bit too detailed for my taste. Yet, I suppose it has significance for the storyline and character building. In fact, it added to the plot setting. The thing I liked the most is the first-person narration that makes the read more personable and helps in getting to know the lead character. As for the editing, I didn't find any errors, so I'll rate the book as professionally edited. I did see an official review before sampling. As I've enjoyed the sample so far and find the genre interesting, I'll definitely be reading the whole book. I've no recommendations for improvements.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2020, at 3:54 am by Ekta Kumari.

AvidBibliophile

The cover art conveys an unmistakably sci-fi allure. The Amazon product description entices prospective readers with mentions of dangerous experiments, eccentric physicists, rogue FBI agents and mathematical quandaries. The story begins with an orphaned chess player recounting fragmented memories from his unstable childhood, and he seems immediately likable and calculated. I loved the emotional impact of simple yet revelatory statements like "chess gave my life its first structure... meeting Regina Russo gave it clarity." This book appears to have been professionally edited, although at 6% of the sample, "one of the [trees'] cooling branches" should show singular apostrophe placement (tree's) since the signifier "one" already specifies an individual possessiveness. At 10% of the sample, there is a comma missing between coordinate adjectives in "long-sleeved(,) yellow cotton shirt." The 18 published OBC reviews are all primarily positive, as are the 11 currently posted Amazon user ratings. Since I do like clever scientific tales with a touch of romance, I look forward to reading more about these physics theories as the plot progresses!

First Ten review added on November 3, 2020, at 2:29 am by AvidBibliophile.

Aditi Sapate

I wouldn't have chosen to read this book based on the title, cover and genre, as I'm not a fan of science fiction. The official OnlineBookClub review gave me a brief summary of the book and informed me that the book has a lot to do with quantum physics. When I started sampling the book, I enjoyed reading the graceful description of Ron and Regina's first meeting. However, I know that the science fiction aspect is going to follow, and that puts me off. I will not continue reading this book. The sample did not contain any grammatical errors as far as I read it.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2020, at 2:06 am by Aditi Sapate.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

damis

The cover is beautiful, there's no way to deny it. Probably would have been enough for me to pick the book in the first place. The official OBC review rated the book decently, and honestly, it was enough to catch my attention. As for the sample that I read, well, it was fascinating. Admittedly it probably ain't the best narrative out there, but the plot has seemed quite promising since the beginning. Also, I always had a thing for scientific plots so that is always a plus in my book. I didn't find any major errors that led me to believe that it was not professionally edited. I don't think ten pages are enough for me to give an accurate suggestion on how to improve it. However, I really enjoyed what I read so far, and I am very intrigued to see where the plot goes so I will finish reading it.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2020, at 1:55 am by damis.

Sou Hi

The cover looks mysterious, but I'm not sure if it's suggestive enough. Still, the genre is my favorite. Since it has fairly good ratings from the official review and Amazon's customers, I decided to try the sample. The copy begins with Ron's first meeting with Regina, a physics professor. He fell in love almost instantly, and after Regina became a volunteer at his school, he tried hard to be able to attend her advanced class. However, they parted ways when he turned 18. Ron proceeded with his plan to be proficient at poker and move to Las Vegas.

To be frank, the only thing I like is that this book's wording is quite smooth. The editing seems fine, though I do find some errors, and the lack of commas sometimes makes it hard to understand the sentences. The progress is very slow and kind of bland. Despite this being a sci-fi novel, I still haven't seen anything interesting yet. The sample contains only the main character's narratives about his normal life. Also, his love life does not sit well with me. I feel like he would date whoever comes to him, so it's no wonder why his relationships never last long. As there's no reason for me to go on, I will not buy this book.

Error example: Even a few months degrades a vacant apartment. -> Should be [degrade]

First Ten review added on November 3, 2020, at 1:54 am by Sou Hi.

Nickolas Farmakis

This is a science fiction novel related to a young boy and his skills in chess. I would not have read this book based on the cover, the title, or the genre, as I do not like science fiction. I will not read this book because it seemed boring, unoriginal, and cliche for me. The sample I read did not have any objective errors, which meant that this book was professionally edited. What I liked most about this book was that it contained many descriptive techniques and vivid emotion. To improve, the author should add more tension, excitement, and suspense to add interest to the story. This book had an Official OnlineBookClub review, which did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 3, 2020, at 1:42 am by Nickolas Farmakis.

Mounce574

Straight off, I didn't think I would like this book because of the several references to quantum physics that I had read in the OBC review, as well as comments from other readers in discussion forums. The genre isn't one that I normally like either. The cover seems a little peculiar but I would not have sampled it without this program. I am thankful to be a part of The First Ten program because I get the opportunity to read exceptions to my initial beliefs. I liked the story and how it was told from the first-person view. The pace was efficient and my favorite aspect was how the author described the emotions in a way I could feel along with the character. I did find a typographical error "Some, old poor areas have been razed and rebuilt with higher-quality structures..." The word razed should be spelled raised. There was not anything I disliked about this story. I will be finishing the book. My suggestion for improvement would be another round of editing, and maybe a brighter cover.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 11:41 pm by Mounce574.

xsquare

The blurb of the book sounds incredibly intriguing – I would have sampled the book based on that alone, although the cover and title are fairly interesting on their own. After reading the official OBC review, I became even more curious. The first ten pages had me instantly hooked on the book. I like the author’s pleasant writing style and the way the introduction was set up – it revealed just enough about the characters to make the reader interested in finding out more. I did not notice any typos, and I didn’t think that there was anything the author could’ve done better. I’m definitely keen to read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 11:38 pm by xsquare.

gabrielletiemi

Timewise by Robert Leet is a sci-fi book with quantum physics and an engaging plot. If I didn't sample this book, based on the genre, I would already want to read it since I enjoy science-fiction novels. When I saw its Official OnlineBookClub review, I was convinced that I should read this book since the themes of time and space attracted me. After sampling it, I didn't change my mind since I found the manner the author approached the topic of quantum physics fascinating. However, my favorite part was the author's style that makes the narrative dynamic and engaging with succinct but complete descriptions. In my opinion, there is nothing to be improved in this book, and it seems professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 7:19 pm by gabrielletiemi.

Juliana_Isabella

I might have chosen this book because I enjoy science fiction. The positive review I read also made me think I might like it. I didn't find any errors in the first ten pages. I liked the idea of the book opening with the main characters meeting, but it jumped too quickly into Ron's backstory. I didn't have a reason to care about him yet, so the background came across as over-dramatic instead of emotionally moving. Because of this, I don't plan to finish the book.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 6:15 pm by Juliana_Isabella.

moowshiri

I wouldn't have read this book had I not been part of this program based on its cover. I didn't find it attractive. On sampling its first ten pages, I loved Leets's narration of his younger years. I enjoyed reading all about his chess games with Mr. Staling and even how he had little childhood memories due to being under multiple foster care homes. I also loved the lack of errors in the section I sampled. I also didn't find any of its parts that require improvement. Nonetheless, I won't be reading the book any further as it failed in piquing my interest. There's also an official OnlineBookClub review for the book.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 6:06 pm by moowshiri.

MsH2k

Based on the cover, the blurb, and the featured OnlineBookClub review, I would not have sampled this book if I were not part of this program. The plot seemed too complicated. I was surprised by the sample pages. I enjoyed the writing. It was clear and descriptive with an unassuming air. I immediately liked Ron, and I liked smart and conniving Regina, too. I will buy this book. It will be a different reading experience for me, and I am looking forward to it. The featured reviewed noted the amount of science in the story, so I have been forewarned.

I did not notice any grammatical errors in the sample pages, and I have no suggestions for improvement. Neither the featured review nor the Amazon ratings influenced my decision to buy this book. Sampling the book sold me.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 5:49 pm by MsH2k.

Maria Esposito

I knew I would read this book before I sampled it, as it is November's book of the month on OBC. While I normally do not like reading science-fiction, I am intrigued by the idea of time travel. The title seems fitting, and the cover design is rather fascinating. The book has 11 Amazon customer reviews, but this had no impact on my decision. The author begins the book by describing the main character's experiences with chess. Then, he describes his encounter with Regina, when he was fourteen and she was more than double his age. This element definitely added a sense of mystery, arousing curiosity in the reader. I like the straightforwardness in the author's writing style and in the dialogues embedded in the narration. There was no element of the book I disliked. It also seems to be professionally edited, as I came across no errors. The book has an official review on this website, but this had no impact on my decision.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 4:13 pm by Maria Esposito.

diana lowery

There are good connocations for me related to books with the word "time" in them, so I was interested in the book. The character on the cover looked like a happy time traveler, so that was a positive. The blurb mentioned a teenager and chess, which I enjoy reading about. The review, however, deducted a star for the heavy, quantum physics passages, which would also be a negative for me. After reading the first ten pages, I decided to finish reading the rest of the book because it is the BOTM, and I wanted to be able to discuss it on the forum. I did not notice any errors in the sample pages. I liked the idea of someone taking advantage of the stock market. I think the author should simplify the science discussions.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 3:32 pm by diana lowery.

JM Reviews

I wouldn't have sampled this book based on its cover because it's not visually appealing. After sampling it, I'm not going to finish reading it because, even after sampling more than 10 pages, I still didn't get the storyline. I like that the narrator lists some of his experiences, and even acknowledges not remembering some. For insurance, he remembers names, but not families. I didn't find anything likable within the sample pages. I didn't find any grammatical errors while reading. I don't have any improvement suggestions. This book has an official OBC review.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 3:03 pm by JM Reviews.

Elvis Best

Looking at the book's cover, I doubt I would have read it, as it did not appeal to me. However, after reading the sample, I would buy and read the rest of this book because I found myself so engrossed in the first few pages. I believe the book is professionally edited, as I found zero errors in the sample pages. The one thing I liked most was the way the book was written in the first person, as it was quite entertaining to read. Further, I have no suggestions for improvement. Lastly, I read an Official OnlineBookClub review that presented a great overview of the book.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 2:51 pm by Elvis Best.

aaurba

Reading the book's official OBC review and Amazon page made me realize I wouldn't probably enjoy the book. First, I believe the scientific concepts and jargons included are too complex for someone like me and would, therefore, affect my enjoyment of the story. Second, I don't like how some characters feel as if they are only devices to propel the plot forward. Third, the ending being "unsatisfactory" because of loose ends convinced me that reading it is not worth all the pain of trying to grasp the abstract concepts. For these reasons, I would not purchase the book.

After I read the sample, my decision remains unchanged. I wouldn't purchase the book for similar reasons I stated in the first paragraph. Also, nothing in the sample intrigued or convinced me to read the rest of the title. The first ten pages include the first chapter and some pages of the second chapter; it primarily talks about Ron having a crush on Regina Russo, his childhood, and his hobby of playing chess. What I liked most with what I read is the lesson I learned from Regina Russo: "One of the advantages of asking the right question is not only is the answer meaningful, it's often easy to find." I didn't note any errors in the text, so I believe the book is professionally edited. I have nothing to suggest to the author.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 7:35 am by aaurba.

sanjus

I could not guess anything from the cover and the title of this book because "Timewise” meant many things to me. Therefore, I read the official review of this book as I was keen on knowing about the contents of this book. The official review helped me to understand that the book focuses on a quantum physics professor, Regina Russo, and her student, Ron Larsen. They are doing some groundbreaking research in quantum physics. This information encouraged me to read the sample of the book before purchasing it. When I read the first ten pages, I realized that this book is not professionally edited because I found some grammatical errors. For example, the sentence "I know one of the largest was a maple because early every spring someone would hammer an old-fashioned spigot into the tree and hang a tin cup on it so passer-by could sample its sweet sap...". The sentence could have been, "I know one of the largest was a maple because every early spring, someone would hammer an old-fashioned spigot into the tree and hang a tin cup on it so any passer-by could sample its sweet sap...". The thing l liked the most is the premise where some research is going in the field of quantum physics, which can help readers to learn more about that subject. However, the concept of quantum physics should be clarified using a simple language for the average readers like me to understand. My suggestion to the author would be to address the shortcomings raised by me in the above sentences. Considering all these facts, I decided not to purchase and read this book today but wait until the author could help by addressing my suggestion so that reading this book could be rewarding for me.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 6:55 am by sanjus.

Aubrey Lewis

The overall appearance of the book fits its title and looks quite intriguing and eye-catching, in my opinion. When I read the official OBC review, I felt that I wouldn't be able to appreciate the book since I'm not very fond of reading science fiction. If I weren't a part of this program, I wouldn't have read the sample at all since the genres and summary didn't interest me enough to try it out willingly.

When I finished sampling the first ten pages, I decided not to read the rest of the book. The contents seemed professionally edited so far, and I liked how the premise was very engaging. The book started out with a first-person point of view, beginning with Ron's memories of his childhood as well as his first experiences with chess. His first meeting with physics professor Regina Russo was quite interesting, though. It's odd, but I already got the feeling that the woman approached him for a reason.

Unfortunately, due to the genre of the book, I will have to pass on this one. After reading the official review and being aware of the future scientific jargon I may encounter in the book, I decided to discontinue reading this. The main reason why I dislike reading science fiction is because of the complex scientific concepts which I would most likely skim through because my simple head would get overwhelmed by the depth of the subject.

However, since I enjoyed the sample so far, I don't think there are any improvements the author needs to make.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 5:10 am by Aubrey Lewis.

Shrabastee

This is one of my favorite genres. I loved the cover and the intriguing title. The official OBC review rates it 3 stars. Based on these, I would have read the book. I didn't find any editing errors in the first ten pages. The protagonist tells about his childhood days and how he was an exemplary chess player. He talks about how he used to obtain his pocket money by placing bets on chess games. I found the writing style engrossing. The time travel trope is also something I like. I have no suggestions for improvement and will gladly read the book.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 3:37 am by Shrabastee.

Seroney_

Ron recounts how he met Regina. As a teen, he was quite intimidated by the girl. He also narrates of the past experiences playing chess games with old boys like Mr Staling, a retired mailman. The latter never tired playing Ron. The book was crafted from the first-person perspective. I loved most the vivid descriptions deployed. It painted an image in my mind about the nature of board games. The cover page of this book dissuaded me from reading this book. It hinted that the book was a fictional piece, which is a genre I quite don't like. The review by OBC confirmed my fears about the book being a science-fiction. Therefore, having sampled the first ten pages, I will not buy this book due to its genre. It's exceptionally edited, and I cannot suggest any improvements.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 3:20 am by Seroney_.

gen_g

Based on the title and cover, it seems like a science-fiction/thriller type of book, which I am not in the market for; hence, I would not have sampled it. I have also come across a positive OBC review of the book, but this would not have changed my decision not to sample, since this book does not belong to a genre that I am looking for. After sampling, there are a couple of errors present. For example, at 11%, there is a missing comma to mark the introductory word: "Somehow(,) this creates community...". I would suggest more editing. However, I appreciated the introduction to the author's surroundings and background, as it helps readers maintain interest. For example, we learn that the narrator, Ron, had been an orphan, and he had been kicked around so many foster homes during his childhood that all of his memories about the homes have been blurred together. For example, Ron could tell the reader that he had come across two "Heathers", with one of them also being a foster child, but he could not tell you which family each Heather belonged to. Additionally, we also learn about Ron's interest for chess, and playing games with newcomers is also how he earns a bit of pocket money. Ron purposely fumbles the beginning of the game to trip up his opponents, before playing a good game at the end to win the match and the bet. However, as I am not in the market for physics-related thrillers/adventure-themed books, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 1:23 am by gen_g.

MeganDJ

The cover, title and blurb all set the tone for the book, and I think I would have wanted to read this regardless of the first 10 pages. However, the first 10 pages sets the tone and starts the story off on how the two protagonists met and how their interactions sets the scene for the rest of the story. I would definitely like to read the rest of the novel at some point. From what I have read, I was not able to pick up on any errors. What I liked best is that the story starts off with a simple game of chess, but everyone knows that chess is not a simple game. It reminds me that decisions, although seemingly simple, may lead to consequences and outcomes that were put into motion through planning and strategic analysis. I don't think anything can be improved upon. I did encounter an Online Book Review and I do think it positively impacted my decision.

First Ten review added on November 2, 2020, at 1:22 am by MeganDJ.

Katie Canedy

I would have checked out the sample of Timewise because of the cover art, regardless if it was the OnlineBookClub's book of the day. I liked the foster child at the beginning of playing a chess game; it was a sweet little scene that was heartwarming. The plot itself seems confusing, as it seems to have both sci-fi and romance elements. After reading the sample, I was going to read the rest of the book. However, I decided to read the official OnlineBookClub review for it and ended up changing my mind afterward. The reason for this is because the protagonist has many relationships with women, with some of them being quick flings. I am not very appreciative of women being presented as such, which is why I decided to skip it. I can say that there were no grammatical errors at all, and I cannot think of anything that can truly make this book better. Readers that enjoy sci-fi or romance may enjoy this one, but they would have to read the first few pages to find out for themselves.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 10:49 pm by Katie Canedy.

Arimart99

I would have sampled this book based only on the title and cover because they are appealing. However, reading the Official OnlineBookClub review made me think twice about sampling this book because I felt I would not enjoy the book since I might be unable to understand the concepts, and I also did not like the fact that the reviewer was left with a few unanswered questions. Therefore, if I had not sampled this book as part of this program, I would not have sampled it after reading the official review. I will not be reading the entire book because even though I liked the bit that I read, it was not good enough to overcome my doubts about the book as a whole. My favorite part of what I read was the pace. Most science-fiction books I have read have a really fast pace, but this book seems to have a good pace, without being too fast. It seems professionally edited, and I cannot think of how it can be improved.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 10:44 pm by Arimart99.

Kelyn

Even if I had not been a member of this program, it is possible that the genre, title, and cover of this book would have attracted my attention. Sci-fi is one of my favored genres, so it is entirely possible I might have just happened across it. The cover is both unique and intriguing, and the title indicates the possibility of something involving time travel. This is a trope of which I am fond. The author is unknown to me, so that would not have affected my decision. The blurb encouraged my curiosity by teasing the 'time' related aspect of the book, but at the same time, it made me a bit wary because mathematics seemed that it would play a large part in the books. Math and I do not get along...at all. Reading a book embroiled in that topic did and does not interest me. The customer reviews on the Amazon site were highly positive. They revealed that the characters were compelling, which is always a plus in a novel. However, they also made it clear that the math (physics) and science involved in the novel's writing were substantial and sometimes difficult to follow. For me, this was a huge negative red flag. Although I did not see a review from this program on the Amazon site, if I had, I would have been interested in what the reviewer had to say. The review on this site was somewhat positive, but with caveats concerning the same problems mentioned in the Amazon customer reviews. This made me very wary going into the sample. As promised, the characters were quite compelling. The sample began with a young Ron, much like characters I have met in other books. The quiet kid who is great at chess and has big dreams of success. Following further into his life, we meet Regina. The blurb promises her as a main character, so it surprised me a bit that she disappeared so quickly in the sample. I loved Ron and Cheryl's relationship. Being a bit of an amateur botanist/herbalist, I connected with Cheryl quickly. The ending of the sample leading up to her departure left me profoundly sad. While this is a testament to the writer's skill, it is not an emotion I enjoy feeling when I read. This, coupled with the book having complex physics and science that would be difficult to get my head around, made me decide not to continue reading it. The book seemed well-edited. I found no 'countable' errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 9:43 pm by Kelyn.

sssns

I was hesitant about this book. Based on the cover and title, I will not sample it outside the program. I thought the title was a self-help book about time management. Because of this initial impression, I was unable to connect the cover design with the title. The blurb mentioned it was a science fiction story and has something to do with time, which made me reconsider. The customer reviews were all enthusiastic. My uncertainty did not change after reading the first ten pages. I liked that the story was straightforward, and yet, the descriptions were vivid. However, the pace was slow. I was anticipating the parts regarding science and time. Also, I encountered minor errors. Below is an example noted on page 26:

“I wanted to ask her where we were going, but I already felt [a] like a pest[,] and didn’t want to intrude even more into her day.”

I suggest considering a cover design that relates to the title or an image about a sneak peek of the highlight of the story. This will help capture attention at first glance. There were an Official OnlineBookClub review and others from volunteers. They were equally insightful and presented the story from various perspectives. These encouraged me to finish reading the book.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 8:35 pm by sssns.

Wy_Bertram

Under different circumstances, I would have chosen to read this book. The presentation was well-done, and the genre is right in my wheelhouse.

Yes, I will be reading the whole book. The introduction was solid and intrigue stirred immediately. I am excited to see how the plot progresses.

I did not notice any errors in this sample.

I liked most that the author didn't dally. Right away, the story began. That shows promise. I don't think there is anything to improve so far.

The official review mentioned that this book might be a bit difficult to follow, but the concrete and ostensibly complex science only stokes my interest in this story.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 7:36 pm by Wy_Bertram.

Laura Lee

What a great pick for Book of the Month! I'm really excited to give this book a try. The writing is clean and smart, the dialogue very realistic, and the editing appears to be professionally done. While the cover is fantastic, I almost decided not to read it based on the Amazon blurb. The blurb isn't poorly written, it's just not my preferred genre. Two things changed my mind: 1. the quality of writing in the sample pages; and, 2. the book review. The book review mentioned that this deals with quantum physics, a topic that has log fascinated me. The description of the book provided by the review played a much larger role than typical in my decision to read the book.

While I will not be purchasing the book today, it is definitely going on my list of books I want to read. I'm also going to tell my son about it. He's getting a degree in theoretical physics, so I think this is something he'd enjoy, too. There honestly was nothing I found in the quality of writing that I thought could be improved upon. I'm kind of squirmy over the idea of a much younger student falling in love with a teacher, but the draw of the sci-fi in the book being drawn from quantum physics out-weighs that. What I liked best was the even balance of dialogue and narrative. It's a really well-paced story with enough "hooks" to keep you reading.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 7:22 pm by Laura Lee.

Readerjorge

The story is told in the first-person perspective from Ron's point of view. He is an orphan boy who had several foster families, of which he remembers some things. Ron met Regina Russo when he was fourteen whiles playing chess, one of his preferred activities in his teens.
The character Ron is properly described in terms of his experiences as a child and adolescent. Regina is equally well described in terms of her love of physics. It is clear they are the main protagonists. However, in the little I read, they barely knew each other and shared a bit more at school. The science-fiction feature and content associated with quantum physics that is mentioned in the official review have not yet been revealed. Until now, I have had a feeling of a young man who has had a harsh life and a physics teacher who seems to want to help him.
I am attracted to the subject of quantum physics and am intrigued about what will happen with Regina and Ron. Therefore, I think I will read the rest of the book. The official review discloses more aspects of the plot, although it indicates details that can be improved I think I am motivated to read it. The editing seems outstanding as I didn't see any errors or typos. The cover is very rare but in keeping with the theme.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 6:30 pm by Readerjorge.

B Creech

The cover and title did not draw me, so I would not have checked it out without first reading the official review. After reading the review, I was sure I would not be reading the rest of the book. I am not a sci-fi fan, and the review made the book sound complicated. As I read a sample of the book, I wasn't sure what direction it was taking. The protagonist was good at chess as he was growing up and good at poker as a young adult but didn't seem to have any real ambition other than becoming a successful poker player and moving to Las Vegas. I couldn't comprehend how the hiking trips he took with his roommate looking for plants fit into the story. I didn't see anything I felt needed to improving in the pages I read. They were well-written, and the only error I found was at 77% of the sample, which has an added words as follows:"...but there was a certainly a rhythm to every trip I did make with her." The 'a' before the word 'certainly' should not be in the sentence. Since I was lost to the book's point from the beginning, I don't plan to read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 6:24 pm by B Creech.

VernaVi

Had I not sampled this book through the First Ten program, I would not have chosen it because the title and cover don’t draw my interest.
For this reason, I don’t intend to purchase and read the whole book today.
Reading the first ten pages didn’t change my mind about buying the book, but I can see how it would appeal to chess players and readers who give deep thought to strategy.
Based on what I read, the book seems professionally edited.
I didn’t see errors in the first ten pages.
What I liked most about what I read is how the thread of mystery seems to weave itself into the plot right away.
I know that readers who like intriguing stories will enjoy aspects of this novel.
As far as improvements, I could see no need for any in what I read.
I did read the Official Online Book Club review and found it insightful. It didn’t affect my views of the book.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 6:00 pm by VernaVi.

Twylla

I will definitely buy this book. I am planning to read this book in November and participate in BOTM. The sample text in Amazon just introduced some of the characters. We didn't get to the quantum physics part, but I am looking forward to that!!!!! Ron seems a little on the mischievous side so I am sure he will get into some tight situations.

My favorite thing about the book is the quantum physics theories.

I love the book cover. The art work is wonderful.
I don't have any suggestions to improve it. This is a really good book!
The book seems professionally edited and well-written. I didn't find any errors in the text I read.
The OBC review was excellent and the analysis is good, but I think I will like the book more than the reviewer did.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 5:30 pm by Twylla.

pricklypurple

I don't generally read science fiction, so I was skeptical at first. The OBC review made me more so as it described the book as having a lot to do with quantum physics and being difficult to understand. However, after sampling the first ten pages, I want to read more. The book is well-written, and I couldn't find any errors. The plot seems intriguing, and as it has a teenager as the protagonist, I doubt it will be too difficult to grasp the concepts presented. The writing style caught my attention, and I look forward to reading more of this book.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 5:25 pm by pricklypurple.

winecellarlibrary

I would not have sampled this book outside the First Ten program because the cover alerts me to the fact that this book is sci-fi, and I don't read the genre. The official OBC review and the blurb confirmed my suspicion. The official review was helpful in solidifying my decision not to read the book as I believe the content is too technical to be of any interest to me.

The sample pages were written in the first person point-of-view, and it came across as being written similarly to a memoir. I am not a fan of the style and found the first couple chapters to be uneventful. I liked the dialogue between Ron and Regina, as she tended to challenge him to think more deeply. However, I'd recommend putting an attention grabber in a prologue or in the first chapter to keep the reader invested in the story.

I noticed a few minor errors in punctuation, as well as one countable punctuation error:

"Her smile vanished, she looked at me as if she was imparting one of the mysteries of the universe." (Loc. 207)

This is a comma splice. A semi-colon or two independent sentences would be appropriate.

Because the genre is not one that I enjoy, the sample did not grab my attention, and especially in consideration of the official review, I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 4:33 pm by winecellarlibrary.

Kirsi_78

The cover art of this book is amazing. I loved the picture as such but also thought it fit rather well to the story. Without further information, the beautiful cover and the book being categorized under science fiction would've been good enough reasons for me to take a closer look. Opening the sample pages sucked me into the world the author created with his rather catchy style. I found the characters of Regina and Ron appealing, and the setup aroused my interest in how the story was about to unfold for these two. However, the fact that this book ladles its ingredients from quantum physics was enough to scare me off. I do not have much understanding of this field of study, and I am afraid I might not be the only reader who finds diving into this world of science overwhelming. As far as I can say, this is a well-edited story. There was an Official OnlineBookClub review available of this book, and it confirmed my thoughts of this book being too much for my humanism-oriented head. I am most likely not going to choose this book for reading. However, I will happily recommend it to any science fiction fan with more interest or understanding of quantum physics.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 3:57 pm by Kirsi_78.

Jsovermyer

This cover picture and title are intriguing. This book looks to be a sci-fi story, which is one of my favorite genre. I would buy this book from the cover alone. This is an interesting sci-fi story based on quantum physics. What if you could see into the future just enough to make a difference? The official reviewer rated this story high but said that the writing sometimes became too technical. My favorite part so far was when Ron would play chess and become so engrossed in the techniques of beating his opponents. He seemed so much more involved than a normal fourteen-year-old would be. My least favorite thing is that the story is progressing so slowly. His affair with his nature-loving roommate doesn't seem to be needed. I found no spelling or grammatical errors and believe this book has been professionally edited. I would like to continue with the story. The plot described in the review sounded good, and I would like to get to that part of the story.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 3:57 pm by Jsovermyer.

Eva Stoyanova

If I wasn’t part of this program, I would have chosen to sample the book but not read it. I liked the title, the cover, and the genre. So, I was intrigued at first. However, when I read the official review I realized that I would not enjoy it. I am not going to buy and read the book. The author of the official review mentions that there are some sections that include lots of science. So, I believe this would be a tough read for me. After reading the first ten pages I didn’t change my mind. They are only introductory, and I wasn’t able to get a grip on the book as a whole.

I think the book is professionally edited. I haven’t noticed any typos or errors in the pages I have read. I liked the writing style. There are many descriptions that help the reader imagine every detail. The book seems very engaging and promising. Fans of science fiction will surely enjoy it. I don’t think the book needs improvement.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 3:43 pm by Eva Stoyanova.

Odette Chace

The cover is intriguing, but the title is just alright. The synopsis on Amazon made me really interested in the book. The premise reminds me of "A Wrinkle in Time," but for an older audience. The official Online Book Club review gave the work 3 out of 4 stars, and the major complaint was that the book was difficult to understand. Additionally, the female characters seemed like they were only included to advance the plot and the ending wasn't very satisfying. If the story is interesting enough, all of these issues are forgivable. Overall, I was excited to sample the book. "On the day I met Regina[,] the clouds were mere filaments..." (loc. 142). "I wanted to ask her where we were going, but I already felt a like a pest, and didn’t want to intrude even more into her day" (loc. 357). I already felt like a pest. As these are the only errors I noticed in the sample, I believe the work was professionally edited. I didn't want the sample to end. Ron is an extremely relatable character that I want to see succeed. I will definitely be finishing the book at a later date.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 3:41 pm by Odette Chace.

LinaJan

I am still new to the sci-fi genre, and, as can be expected, the cover art, which I find indicative of the genre, made me a little apprehensive. The subtle title of ‘Timewise’ by Robert Leet, however, intrigues me. Upon reading the official onlinebookclub.org review, I was left with the impression that this book is like no other. I found that the lure to dive head-first into something I have zero understanding of – namely, quantum physics wrapped into a gripping story – was growing. Having also had the opportunity to sample ‘Timewise,’ I found myself hiking through New England’s woods, watching where I put my feet. I felt the superficial fulfillment that Ron pretended he possessed. Having finished the sample, I felt like my return to reality was sudden and rude. R. Leet’s prose seems to have a somewhat uncanny ability to carry me away. The book also appears to be professionally edited and proofread, which speaks of the author’s respect towards his readers. I cannot wait to delve back in and see Regina re-entering Ron’s life.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 1:54 pm by LinaJan.

aacodreanu

Had I not actually sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read or sample this book based on the strangeness and indecisiveness of the image on the cover, the mysterious title, definitely the genre (whose fan I have declared myself to be), and the Official OnlineBookClub review that I saw, which contained nothing that could dissuade me from reading the book. I have read the whole book, and my review will be shortly ready. I am far from an expert in quantum physics but I admit to admiring it from a distance. Reading the first ten pages did not change my mind from my original guess. Based on what I read, the book seems like it was professionally edited. I like the simple and natural style, very appropriate in presenting events through the eyes of a teenager growing up into a young adult. I like the main character’s interest in chess and then in poker, as well as his capacity to have a crush on a woman ten years older than himself (is it or isn’t it so unusual?) Please do not change anything to it.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 1:24 pm by aacodreanu.

Lunastella

The cover of the book is awesome, and the title is attractive. I found the book appealing, too, until the part about the equations. I suck at Math, so I probably wouldn't have bought the book because of this, even with the book having good ratings.
There's much to praise about the first ten pages and reading them changed my mind. I liked the descriptions especially. For example, when the narrator compares the chess players to cats, and when he says "Her eyes were almost golden, as though she had brought a bit of the sun down to Earth." That's so simple but lovely and powerful at the same time. I also liked the bit of self-deprecating humor: "Regina smiled at me as she hovered by my table. I fell in love. Of course, I was a fourteen-year-old boy so that came pretty easy." But, overall, I'm intrigued by what's a physics professor looking for in a guy that's at least 15 years younger than her.
I didn't find a single editing mistake and that's praise-worthy too. The official review made me hesitate because it says the Math concepts are too hard to understand, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway, and if I don't get something I can look it up. My suggestion is to create a preface, a "Timewise for dummies", if you will, that lays out the basic concepts needed to understand the story.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 12:48 pm by Lunastella.

Mstrtim

The author's written command of the language is excellent and it's this apparent skill that I enjoyed most from what I read.
The book seems professionally edited as I detected no typos or grammatical errors. I liked the cover and the image was sufficient to have captured my imagination and based on the image, I would have picked this book up in a store or library for a quick look-see. However, the Official Review, if accurate, is enough to keep me from reading the book. Although the story sounds good, I've spent far too much time with books that get bogged down in the science at the expense of the story, so based on the reviewer's suggestion, I won't be reading this novel. The reviewer also indicated that the story has a less-than-sufficient ending, which I also found discouraging. I can't see anything from the outset that needs improvement so I have no suggestions at this time.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 11:06 am by Mstrtim.

Theresam

I was not drawn to the cover or the title of this book. The images are hard to identify in the cover art and the title doesn’t tell me what the book is about. I wouldn’t have picked this book up based on the cover alone. The Online Book Club review gave this book 3 out of 4 stars and stated that it was deeply rooted in quantum physics. It also said the story needed some refining. This makes me think this book is not for me. I didn’t see any errors in the first ten pages, so I believe the book was professionally edited. I also didn’t see any area the author could improve upon. I haven’t read a customer review of this book. The first ten pages are told from the perspective of the narrator explaining how he met Regina. He describes his life in foster care and how he got involved in the game of chess. He plays frequently in the park which is how he met Regina who appears to be an important person in his life. I was not drawn into this story enough in the first ten pages, so I will not finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 9:55 am by Theresam.

Bertha Jackson

Based on the awesome cover, the genre, and the OnlineBookClub review, I would have read the sample of the book. I have added the book to my bookshelves to be read, and have downloaded the book into my library. I enjoy science fiction books, especially those who entail a romantic theme. I did not see any errors in the first ten pages, so believe it has been professionally-edited. I like that this book has incorporated romance within quantum physics. In the first ten pages, I did not see anything to improve.

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 9:43 am by Bertha Jackson.

Emy Katherine

As I am not interested in reading science-fiction novels, I would not have read the book without The First Ten program. The story follows the journey of a young orphan named Ron Larson, who is a talented chess player and has a natural gift for mathematics. His life changes when he meets a beautiful physics professor named Regina Russo, who decides to mentor Ron to help him achieve his full potential by introducing him to physics and quantum physics. Things get complicated when they start conducting experiments that will get them in trouble. The writing style was clear and easy to read, and the author did a great job of describing the characters and events. However, although I found the sample pleasant to read, I did not feel invested in the story; therefore, I will not read the rest of the book. Based on the positive OBC review, it will surely appeal to fans of the genre. Sadly, as I encountered some distracting grammatical and punctuation errors throughout the first three chapters, I would suggest another round of editing. For example, it should be written, "I already felt like a pest and didn’t want to intrude even more into her day" instead of "I already felt a like a pest, and didn’t want to intrude even more into her day." (location 355 of 449 • 79%) There should be a comma after "Cheryl" in the following sentence: "As I continued to hike around the state with Cheryl the trips seemed to get longer and shorter at the same time." (location 379 of 449 • 84%)

First Ten review added on November 1, 2020, at 9:42 am by Emy Katherine.

This book appears to have been Book of the Day more than once. Only responses from the most recent Book of the Day focus group are shown. Older responses have been hidden by default to avoid confusion. If you would like to also view the older first ten responses, you can unhide them by clicking the button below.

Show Older Responses

Total ~ 51%

Timewise earned a score of 51%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 51% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Timewise

https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/authors/blurb.php?topic_id=129687&bookid=30237