Cover for Going Gone

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Going Gone

Because Going Gone was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

jwalker73

I was not really taken with the cover, and was unsure of the genre based on the title. The blurb also did not interest me due to the theme the book was set around. The OBC review made the theme sound more interesting than the blurb. I liked the concept of the novel - showing how one incident affected many individual people in multiple short story format. The writing style in the sample did not appeal to me. I found it quite dry and it failed to engage me, but this may have been due to my personal disinterest in the plot. I did not note any glaringly obvious errors. I do not intend to read the rest of the book due to personal lack of interest.

First Ten review added on May 1, 2018, at 7:00 am by jwalker73.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Vickie Noel

For reasons unbeknownst to myself, I was rather slow in reading the sample provided. It's not like I don't fancy the cover art or title, they're actually quite intriguing. Anyway, the sample has converted me to a fan because this is just the type of book I love settling in to read. Style of writing is on point, plot captivating, no errors identified. It's the total package. Of course I'd finish up my read. The OBC review was raving but I can't say it had a hand in my determined decision to conclude this book.

First Ten review added on May 1, 2018, at 4:21 am by Vickie Noel.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Alice Heritage

I wouldn't have sampled this on the basis of the genre as dystopian science fiction isn't a priority for me at the moment. I won't buy and read the book today for the same reason, though the first ten pages were effecftively done. The editing appears professional as I didn't notice any errors. I liked the metaphors used by the Jewel Thief's mentor best, as well as the asterisks breaking the narrative up into short sections. It was well-written and doesn't really need to be improved; I know from the OnlineBookClub review that the book is a collection of vignettes and as such, the reader doesn't see any character develop. I realize that this might be a little challenging, but will nevertheless keep this in mind for when I have more time.

First Ten review added on May 1, 2018, at 3:34 am by Alice Heritage.

Gravy

As this is outside my reading preferences, I would not have looked at it. The sample was interesting and well written, I would say it was professionally edited, but didn't change my opinion. Because of this, I won't be reading it.
However, I enjoyed the author's writing enough that, if this were something I typically read, I would likely have continued. It really is just a matter of taste.
There was an official review, but my opinion wouldn't change either way.

First Ten review added on May 1, 2018, at 2:43 am by Gravy.

Jaime Lync

Going Gone by Abraham Lopez has such an appealing title and book cover that I would have sampled this without the prompt from the first ten program. I definitely want to read this novel. The storyline seems to be about US covert ops but it seems that one of the main themes will be the value of a person's life. I enjoyed the author's writing style and it seems that he had his work professionally edited. Thus, I would recommend this novel to fellow avid readers who enjoy stories such as this one.

First Ten review added on May 1, 2018, at 12:31 am by Jaime Lync.

ccrews0408

Based on the genre and review, had I not read the first 10 pages, I would have read this book. I've never read a dystopian novel before, but it definitely sounds like something I would enjoy. Also, the review stated that it was written from several different view points, which I thought sounded pretty cool. Now that I have read the first 10 pages, I am even more intrigued. It automatically started off with a bang that kept me seated at the edge of my seat. I didn't notice any typos or grammatical errors and there was an official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on April 30, 2018, at 5:51 pm by ccrews0408.

Bianka Walter

The Online Book Club review of this book was really fantastic, and made me want to read it. Being a big fan of dystopian novels, it is right up my alley. However, after reading a sample of this book (glowing reviews or not) I couldn't quite get into it. I read the same lines over and over trying to stay interested. I hope it gets better after the first ten pages, but for me, they weren't enticing enough. There were two small errors that I picked up in the first chapter, both which were omitted words. I enjoyed the way the story linked from chapter one to two. From the review, I gleaned that the chapters are all separate stories which is a really unique idea. I am not a big fan of political books, and from the sample - it seems to be headed that way. Also, I found no reference to any form of dystopia in the sample, which was a bit confusing.

First Ten review added on April 30, 2018, at 3:31 pm by Bianka Walter.

KRay93

Both the cover and the title of the book have an intriguing design, like the premise, although they do not seem to belong to the genre in question. The official review mentions the story's emphasis in detailing the ramifications of an event from various points of view, which, as the premise points out, find points in common as the story progresses. The first ten pages put the reader quickly in context, depicting the fact whose ramifications will give rise to the rest of the story in a concise and compelling manner. The prose is appropriate for the genre, at times more fluid than in others, and I didn't notice editing errors at first sight. I had some doubts at first, but considering that I am a follower of the genre and the theme, and taking into account how this story kicks off, I think it is worth giving this book an opportunity.

First Ten review added on April 30, 2018, at 10:54 am by KRay93.

kfwilson6

I found the synopsis of this book a little confusing and wasn't really sure what this book is about. The reviews gave me a clearer picture and it sounded somewhat interesting but a little too much about government and politics for me. The cover and title of the book made me think of Lee Child's Jack Reacher series, which is actually a draw for me because I really enjoy that series. However, based on the genre and summaries integrated into customer reviews, I would have opted not to read this book. The sample is well-written and I started to get in to both chapters one and two, but I felt like chapter 2 ended so abruptly. I don't really care for the vignette-style of this book so therefore will be passing on it. I only noted one missing word, so I got the impression this book is probably professionally edited.

First Ten review added on April 30, 2018, at 9:24 am by kfwilson6.

Tbunde5

The title and cover art are compelling. I was unsure of the genre, although the OBC reviewer listed it as dystopian fiction. The first ten pages did not read like a typical dystopian story. The author grabbed the reader's attention from the start with a bold assassination and the subsequent murder of the assassin. I would expect the rest of the book to be as engaging. I found no errors in the first ten pages. The book was refreshingly well-edited. The suspense built in the opening chapters has made me want to read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on April 30, 2018, at 12:36 am by Tbunde5.

Jackie Holycross

I like the cover of this book. The twisting shapes foreshadow the twisting stories. I read the OBC review which made this web of stories around the same set of events sound compelling. I was not as impressed with the first ten pages as I expected to be. The style flowed at first and I loved the use of metaphor but I felt somewhat confused as the first story went on. I know there will be many loose ends that will tie together eventually so I may still read the book.

First Ten review added on April 30, 2018, at 12:17 am by Jackie Holycross.

Elizabeth Pass

It would be interesting to see how the assassination of one person effects the world. Especially if you can see that effect through several different points of view. I'm not particularly interested in this genre but the book and its concept sound interesting. The cover did not interest me at all and it gave me no insight into what the book would be about. After reading the first bit, I don't think this would be a book for me. I tend to stay away from anything too political. Within the small sample I noticed a missing word. Based on that and the review, I don't think this book was professionally edited. I think it's a good idea for a book and it seemed well written. I wouldn't recommend any changes, it's just not for me.

First Ten review added on April 29, 2018, at 9:41 pm by Elizabeth Pass.

desantismt_17

This book’s title looked interesting, and the description was intriguing. The OnlineBookClub.org review labels this book as a related group of stories surrounding a dystopian society. I like dystopias; though, I’m not as interested in them as I used to be. Before sampling, I was considering reading. After sampling, I’ve decided to pass. The book’s writing is good but feels overly cluttered by long sentences. I noticed a couple of missing words, and I think a final edit could improve this book. The author’s descriptions captured my attention. I felt in the middle of what was happening. With fewer long sentences and missing words, I’d be more interested in finishing this book.

First Ten review added on April 29, 2018, at 8:57 pm by desantismt_17.

melissy370

Dystopian fiction is not something I would be interested in reading, so I would not buy this book. The sample was slightly intriguing but still did not change my mind. The first chapter was suspenseful with the assassin and that was the best part of the sample for me. As a pet lover, I didn't like the dog getting his neck broken. There were no errors and I appreciate the author's unique style of storytelling, but it is not to my taste. I like to get to know the characters more and with this style it is hard to do that. Because of this, I will not finish the book.

First Ten review added on April 29, 2018, at 8:29 pm by melissy370.

lbhatters

This book has a fantastic title and cover design, with a twisty puzzle that aroused my curiosity the first time I saw it. I would likely pick this book off the shelf to look at it and read the back cover, whether it was on display in the store or wasn't. I likely would still read ten pages whether or not it was assigned to me by the review team, with the review I have read and with this cover and title.

After reading the first ten pages, I think I would buy the book if it was on sale. Action, suspense, and excitement can be found on these first ten pages already before reading on to the rest of the story. Questions arise in your mind about whether the characters are going to get away with these crimes and what else is going to happen due to their risky and dangerous endeavors. I like this story very much thus far.

I did not see any spelling or grammar errors. This seems to have been professionally proofread and edited. I have no suggestions for improvement. I look forward to reading on.

First Ten review added on April 29, 2018, at 8:20 pm by lbhatters.

lavellan

I probably would have read the sample of Going Gone even if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. The Book of the Day review was positive and left me curious to find out the effects of the Prime Minister's assassination. The book seemed like it was professionally edited and I did not notice any errors while reading. I enjoyed the high stakes of the novel and the connected story lines. However, I wish that more time was spend on each character's story. As a result, I will not be reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on April 29, 2018, at 4:48 pm by lavellan.

Cristina Chifane

The title, cover and Amazon blurb are highly intriguing. It has not happened in a while for a book to make me so curious about its contents. I am definitely eager to see if the author's writing style matches the expectations triggered by the exciting description in the Amazon blurb. The editorial reviews praise the dystopian connotations and the elements of realist social commentary. There are only 8 customer reviews, but they are all positive and give the book 4 or 5 stars. It would probably have been my loss if the first ten program had not given me the opportunity to sample this book. I like the originality of the author's idea to relate how the assassination of a high ranking official reverberates into the lives of different people. The sample was not disappointing at all. On the contrary, the description of the attack on the Prime Minister and the close-up on the lonely assassin are very well written and provide the right amount of intensity to keep the readers on the edge of their seats. I also love the way the author makes unexpected associations such as in the case of the jewel thief who is taught by his mentor to make sure he locks the door after a theft for his crime to go unnoticed for as long as possible. Ironically, it is his own mentor who brings his death in the end. I have enjoyed Kurt Ramis's story and his reflections on the evolution in his beliefs from the clear, utilitarian sense of his CIA missions to a much more pragmatic view of the world affairs. On the same wavelength, he chooses the "exit bag" as an unlikely, but swift means of committing suicide. The OnlineBookClub reviewer gave the book a rating of only 3 out of 4 stars, but I could not find any mistake in the sample. Even if there were any, I could not notice them because the storyline really gripped my full attention. All things considered, I have every intention of reading this book.

First Ten review added on April 29, 2018, at 4:37 pm by Cristina Chifane.

DancingLady

I was initially interested by the title of this book since it is close to Gone Girl, a book I liked. After reading the review I wasn’t so sure about it. The first 10 pages were definitely exciting, but The sub next matter is very negative and I didn’t enjoy reading about explosives and death. I thought it was professionally edited but will not be buying it as it’s not really something I want to read.

First Ten review added on April 29, 2018, at 3:11 pm by DancingLady.

Libs_Books

This isn't the kind of book I'd normally choose to pick up, so I wouldn't have read any of it if it hadn't been on special offer. The short story format (or “series of vignettes”, as the OBC reviewer puts it) didn't work for me. The problem is that there is no immediately obvious central thread or character to engage with. Moments of excitement are lost by the intrusion of unnecessary detail. For example, the thick of the action is not really the place to explain to your readers what the purpose might be of a non-lethal grenade. I also have to say that I found it a bit inauthentic. In the first story, the Prime Minister's bodyguard seemed curiously inept, and the assassin not all that clever either – who wouldn't work out that visibly chucking away a mobile would be a bad idea? In the second story/chapter, the idea that Al-Qaeda wouldn't assassinate a moderate muslim seems ridiculous, considering how many have died. A fair amount of awkward and even grammatically incorrect sentences suggest that the book hasn't been professionally edited. There is nothing to really engage me here, so I won't be reading further.

First Ten review added on April 29, 2018, at 10:46 am by Libs_Books.

Christina O Phillips

The title is simple but the cover caught my eye. The summary sounded too full; there are a lot of characters mentioned that make the plot sound too busy. Without this program, I would have skipped this sample. There were no errors that I noticed. The pace felt very slow but the narrative is very detailed helping me see all the action. However, the lack of names (unless you count the mention of Minister Saiid, but even that wasn't until the end of the first chapter) and all the pronouns and labels ("his mentor") bothered me. I wanted to know the names and exactly who I was reading about. The second chapter introduces Kurt so there is finally a named character, but it still felt slow for me and I did not get pulled in to the story. Maybe because it is not my usual genre.

First Ten review added on April 29, 2018, at 10:33 am by Christina O Phillips.

This book appears to have been Book of the Day more than once. Only responses from the most recent Book of the Day focus group are shown. Older responses have been hidden by default to avoid confusion. If you would like to also view the older first ten responses, you can unhide them by clicking the button below.

Show Older Responses

Total ~ 40%

Going Gone earned a score of 40%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 40% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Going Gone