Cover for The Reel Sisters

The First Ten Feedback for The Reel Sisters

Because The Reel Sisters was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as this is not my typical read. The cover is eye-catching, and the blurb gives a good sense of the plot. Reading the sample didn't change my first impression of the book. While the premise of the book is original, I wasn't taken in by the sample. I like that the book is told in alternating points of view. However, it was a little draggy to read due to the detailed backstory of each character and the info about fly-fishing. Although I didn't notice any glaring errors, the writing felt stiff at times. I won't read the book as it isn't my cup of tea. The positive OBC reviews didn't sway my decision either way.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 8:56 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Yolimari

I would not have sampled this book without this program because I have never read about fishing. I became interested in this book because it is the book of the month. The OBC review indicated the book was a story about friendship between a diverse group of women who practice fly fishing. I thought it was going to be boring because of the fishing. After I read the sample pages, I liked the flow of the story, the design of the book, and that it is narrated from different perspectives. I thought the book was professionally edited. Yes, I will read this book because I am interested in the dynamics of the women’s friendship.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 9:07 am by Yolimari.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

hsimone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this read. Based on the cover and title, I actually thought this was nonfiction. In any case, I'm not into reading Women's Fiction. I like how concise the blurb is, but the storyline isn't one for me. By reading the OBC review, the fact that the dialogue can be stiff at times would turn me off. However, I see that there is a note that there is an updated version. The positive customer reviews do not sway my opinion of the book one way or the other.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be edited well. I like how conversational Sophie's voice was, and I must say, I chuckled at Rule #1 in fly fishing. However, as the story progressed, there was more talk about fly fishing and caddis, which I did not enjoy. Due to this being a topic that isn't interesting to me, and one that I'm not familiar with, I do not plan on buying and finishing this read.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 10:14 am by hsimone.

Joy2thenations

I wasn’t too sure how a book surrounding flyfishing could interest me in the least. The cover seems more like the cover of a how-to book. But, I was pleasantly surprised especially how the author developed her characters and really brought them to life. In the sample that I read, I found no grammatical or typographical error‘s. I think a cover depicting a couple ladies at a river, having fun would be more appealing, to me at least. Normally, I probably would not continue reading this book just because I don’t have the time and it isn’t my usual genre. However, because it is the Book Of The Month, I am going to read it to get into the discussion on the forums.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 10:16 am by Joy2thenations.

Vickie Noel

I'd heard nice things about this book and was curious to investigate it based on the customer reviews written. Having done so by reading the sample, I'm not all that captivated. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with the book, the story just isn't my type. I got bored with the narration long before I encountered dialogue and I don't know much about the subject matter, neither can I say I'm all that interested in learning about it. I didn't spot any grammatical errors and found nothing to be improved on. The OBC review on it was enlightening but did nothing to influence my decision.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 11:03 am by Vickie Noel.

ZenaLei7

After reading the first ten pages, I decided not to finish reading the book. The sample wasn't interesting enough for me. I do like the book cover and title so if I were to sample the book based on just the cover and title, I probably would have chosen to sample it because they both look interesting. While reading the sample, I didn't notice any grammatical errors either. I also read the official OBC review for this book which was helpful in solidifying my decision on taking a pass on this book. There isn't anything I would change anything about this book.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 11:49 am by ZenaLei7.

Snowflake

The cover and title are a bit confusing for the non-fisher. I actually thought this was going to be a book about film reels not, fishing reels. The picture is too close up for the non-initiated! The Amazon blurb was ok but a little long. A brief, concise synopsis is more appealing to me. I am not sure if I would have sampled this book without the first ten pages program. I enjoyed the sample. I like the characters and the situations they are in. I could feel the sunlight and enjoyment of the outdoors. I did not notice any obvious typos or grammar errors. The OBC review was quite positive and helpful. I also agree with the OBC review that the language seemed quite stilted and formal at times. With more ease added to the writing, this would be a fantastic book. It's already a good and interesting one and a genre I enjoy. I would like to read more, so I plan to purchase this book and read the rest of it.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 11:58 am by Snowflake.

MsTri

Even though I like the title of this book, I was not attracted to the cover. The synopsis and review both confirmed that I do not want to read this. I do like fishing and have fond memories of doing so when I was young. However, I do not hang out with women, so I don't like to read books or watch television shows that involve gaggles of women doing things. The sample read was okay. It seems to be properly edited, which is always a plus. Funnily enough, my favorite part was when the women met up and had some conversation, joking with each other. I also liked the puns and little pictures. As for what I'd change, I wouldn't change anything; this just isn't a genre that I like.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 12:30 pm by MsTri.

BookishCreature

At first glance, I felt pretty good about this book. Though the cover isn't very exciting, the synopsis is interesting, and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. It's also the February book of the month on OBC, so I was tempted to buy it just so I could participate in the discussions. After reading the first ten pages, I'm definitely excited to read it. I love the voice of the narrator - it's a very friendly, readable, conversational tone, and I found myself not wanting to stop. I really want to see what is in store for this character. The book seems professionally edited, though a few minor issues slipped through. On the first page, 'fly fishing' should not be capitalized. The scientific names of insects are incorrectly formatted - they need to be italicized, with the first name capitalized and the last name lowercase. Overall, I'm excited to give this book a shot!

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 12:31 pm by BookishCreature.

ritah

Based on the cover and title, I wouldn't have sampled the book because it didn't appeal to me. I read the official review and then sampled the book. I liked the sense of humor; when Sophie talked about the 'art of peeing' and her first encounter with Rose. The book appeared to be professionally edited as I did not see any errors. That being said, as I read on my interest dwindled when the narration focused more on certain aspects of fly fishing; I understand that is the main theme of the book, which is why I won't be reading the rest of it.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 2:25 pm by ritah.

Scrawling Pen

I really enjoyed the beginning of this book. The cover image is a great start: it is interesting and inciting. The title is also quite catchy. To be honest, the idea of reading a book focused on fly fishing wasn't exactly on my mind, but after the first few pages I was convinced that it would be good. I didn't find grammatical errors, and it seemed very professional. I love the change of characters and the brief back story that we are able to piece together. I look forward to getting to know these ladies in the story! I did see a review on this book, and it actually may have changed my opinion. One complaint was the stiff dialogue which usually is enough to drive me crazy while reading. It did mention that the review was from an older edition of the book, so I hope that this problem has been fixed.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 2:46 pm by Scrawling Pen.

micoleon13

While the title and the cover page tie in together, it isn't a cover which grabs my attention. I wouldn't go out of my way to look at this book. The Onlinebookclub review was very complementary and made me want to read it. I liked that it mentioned strong characters all tied together by their love of fishing. The pages which I read were well written and edited. I liked the writing style of the author and I was interested in the story line. Often when two people from different backgrounds and generations somehow become friends it makes for a great change of perspective, which is the feeling I got from this book. I would like to continue reading this book. I have no ideas for improvement.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 4:43 pm by micoleon13.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read pure romance books. Having read the sample, I liked the quotes that the author included. Further, I thought that the author described the characters' thoughts and feelings well. The book seems professionally edited and has favorable onlinebookclub reviews. However, there were many words describing traditions or culture, that I could not understand. Further, the sample could not hold my attention. Hence, I will not be reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 5:07 pm by AA1495.

BunnySTx

After reading a sample of, The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings, I have decided that I will not be purchasing this book. My first thought when I saw the cover of this was book was it looked like a memoir. The cover didn't appeal to me and make me want to pick it up. When I read the blurb, I didn't feel engaged to read the story. If I had not read a sample of this book, I would not have picked it up. As I read the story, the characters didn't engage my interest. I appreciate that the author gives each character a specific chapter. I feel this makes the story easier to follow along. This way there is no mix-up as to who is the focus. Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review. The reviewer doesn't engage my interest in the story. I don't feel this will be a good fit for me.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 7:24 pm by BunnySTx.

CrescentMoon

Based on the blurb, I probably would pick this book up because I do like the premise of self-discovery and the strength of friendship and I like how the women bond over their love of fly-fishing. After reading the first ten pages, however, I don't think I'll be reading the rest of the book. I didn't see any major spelling or grammar errors. I like how events are told through different characters' points of view so that the reader can see each individual's thoughts and actions. However, it did start off a little too slowly for my taste. I'm sure it will pick up later on, but I just wasn't hooked enough to want to read the rest.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 7:33 pm by CrescentMoon.

Bluecobia

The cover and title of this book do a good job of indicating what this book is all about. The amazon and book club reviews helped peak my interest in this book. I might have read further based on the reviews but being part of this program cinched my desire to read the sample. I like that the author is giving good basic information about fly fishing without over doing it. I am not sure how much I can get into the detailed lives and feelings of a group of women. I did not notice any editorial errors but the review indicated there there are many, so, I am not sure about the editing. I have read more of the sample than just the first ten pages but I am not currently planning on reading the rest of this book right now. I am looking to read a good science fiction book next. I don't want to get into a group of women's feelings right now.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 7:51 pm by Bluecobia.

Dolor

I will really buy and read this book, with or without the First Ten program because I had experienced fun in fly fishing. Aside from that,  I love everything in this book from the cover, title, genre, to the book description on Amazon. It gains perfect ratings on Amazon reviews while the review posted on OBC website is the superseded version. I have not found any error in the first ten pages. The author perhaps had this book proofread. It is professionally edited. I have no improvement suggestion. The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is an uplifting story of sisterhood that is bonded by fly fishing delight. It teaches us to embrace life, and to value the shared moments.

#WomensFiction #Sisterhood
#Adventure #friendship

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 8:42 pm by Dolor.

va2016

The title nicely indicates that the book is about friendship among
a group of women, and the word 'reel' is kind of indicative that
it's about fly-fishing but the cover picture nails it by depicting
the fly-fishing rod! So, I would pick this book based on the cover
even if I had not sampled the book because of my interest in
fly-fishing! I am presuming anyone else who's interested in
fly-fishing would do so too! I am going to read this book in full
as I found during my sampling that the books talks a lot about
fly-fishing and the protagonist's experiences in it. I liked the
casual way of narration and the interesting points about fly-fishing.
I figure I would also like the narration of the friendship bonds
created between the characters. I found that the writing style is
a bit too wordy and could be succinct. I found that the book
has been professionally edited and I didn't find any grammatical
or mechanical errors in my sampling. I did find OBC reviews of this
book but my decision to read to this book in full is based on my
own sampling.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 8:55 pm by va2016.

ladycraic

I wouldn't have chosen to sample The Reel Sisters apart from First Ten. The cover is not appealing and doesn't indicate that I would find this book interesting. The blurb caught me off-guard - I was not expecting four fly fishers to rescue a naked woman found in some river but that just makes this book even more unique. I was a bit hesitant going in to read. I just typically don't read many stories that place much emphasis on fishing, and mainly because those kinds of stories never crossed my path. Reading the first ten pages felt a bit dragged out in the beginning. I was getting lengthy descriptions about fly fishing but I did come to understand the whole concept better. On the other hand, it was interesting to listen to Sophie's many stories. I will not be finishing this book due to the fact that I wasn't terribly interested in the plot. The official OBC review didn't influence my decision.

From what I read so far, this book seems professionally edited and I didn't notice any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 12:06 am by ladycraic.

Afuglsan

I'm hooked. I think the play on words for the title is cute and funny, plus the cover compliments what the book will be about. I'm not big on memoirs, so I was a little timid. It was interesting reading the reviews of all the people that don't know what fly fishing is or don't like fishing in general. But, I didn't let that affect my opinion because I love fishing. I am a fishing girl, too. Although fly fishing isn't my favorite form, I still like it. I thought the start of the book was great. There were a lot of quotes, but they really complimented the book. I especially like the, "What are you wading for." Hilarious. I enjoyed the first ten pages. I don't have any complaints. I didn't see any errors. I would love to read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 12:28 am by Afuglsan.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I found the cover and title of this book plain. I would not have picked it up because I do not know much about fly fishing. The OBC was favorable, but it did not leave much of an impact on me. The first few pages of this book were professionally edited. Unfortunately, I noticed a couple of fly fishing terms that I am not familiar with and fly fishing seems like it plays a big role in the plot of this book. So, since I am not interested in that sport, I do not think this book is for me.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 1:03 am by Sarah_Khan.

Momiji1987

I really like the design of the cover and the inside of the book. It’s both cute and classy. I thought the tidbit in the credits about the female fly fisher’s book from the 1400’s was very interesting and not something I was even aware of. I enjoyed learning about that. Sophie is very earthy, saucy, and blunt. She’s not shy about anything and is generally not the kind of female character you read about in books. I like that the author chose to write about women outside the norm. She also clearly has passion and love for fly fishing which shines through in her writing. The editing is very professional and I didn’t see any mistakes. This genre isn’t really to my liking so I wouldn’t have found this book on my own. The book club review was positive, but didn’t have much effect on my personal decisions regarding this book. It’s a good book, well-written with characters that come to life. It’s not really my style, but those who love this genre should enjoy it.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 1:39 am by Momiji1987.

ReviewerDiksha

The title and the cover of this book don't invoke interest. I read the official OBC review. It stated that the main theme of the book was set around fly fishing. I know nothing about this, and neither am I interested in the subject. I read the sample, and it appears that the story has fly fishing as its setting but the story takes another route. The beginning seemed good, but it wasn't strong enough to maintain interest. The scene of rescuing the stranger seemed interesting, but the overall writing wasn't catchy enough. Mostly the talk about fly fishing seemed uninteresting to me. I didn't really understand that part of the conversation.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 5:54 am by ReviewerDiksha.

jwalker73

I was drawn to the cover as I enjoy fishing. The blurb also sounded interesting as I like stories that are based on friendships. I thought the use of fishing as the common denominator among this group of women was also a unique concept for a book. I found the first ten pages were engaging and set the scene for the story. The cabin seems to be a place where this group of women all feel at home. I loved the little drawings in the book. The fishing rod at the start of the chapters and the fish for breaks in the story added to the visual appeal of the book. I did not detect errors in these ten pages, but note the reviewer states there were several in the book. I intend to read the rest of the book as it sounds like it could be a relaxing, feel-good read.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 7:24 am by jwalker73.

IsabelMay

I wouldn't sample the book based on the cover, but I would check it out thanks to the description and a couple of good reviews. The reviews got my hopes up, but I wasn't impressed with the sample. It resembled a first draft rather than a published book. I didn't find the story interesting because the ''fiction'' part was lacking. The book didn't seem to be well-edited and the formatting was bad. It might seem foolish, but the font ruined it for me. I had a feeling like I was reading a school essay, not a book. As previously mentioned, this is something between a work of fiction and a manual. I lost interest due to the amount of irrelevant description. Latin terminology for flies, hook sizes, temperature outside measured in degrees... it's a bit too much for me. To be frank, I can't point out anything I liked about the sample. I only liked the premise of the book, but not the execution. This could be an enjoyable read for those who go fly fishing, but it's not my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 2:08 pm by IsabelMay.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I would not have read it. Although stereotypical to say, the fact that this is a book about a group of women and their past time turned me off from the get-go; it just isn't something that I would usually read. After reading the first ten pages, I did not change my mind. Despite not changing my mind, there were several things I enjoyed in the sample. I realised that humour and character development were going to play very big roles in this story. I loved how these were presented even in the small sample that I read. I didn't see anything specific that I would have wanted to change in the sample as the book definitely seemed well written and edited. Simply because the subject matter doesn't interest me, I will not be buying and reading the rest of this book. The official review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 8:42 pm by Scerakor.

Kathryn Price

This book had an interesting style to it that fascinated me. Before I read the intro, I had the impression it was about movies (reels) because I only saw a glimpse of the cover. The sometimes crude language made me cringe at times, but the overall impression that the opening gave me was very pleasant and inviting. I didn't catch any errors and the narrative flowed well. Because of the other books already in my reading list, I probably won't get to the rest of this one, but it didn't seem like a bad book in my opinion. Other people just might place a higher priority on it than I do.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 11:54 pm by Kathryn Price.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb, and OBC review. It sounded like a unique book. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I like that it is set in Colorado. However, the story didn't really draw me in. There isn't anything particular that I didn't like; I just don't think it is the book for me. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2018, at 12:22 am by anneloretrujillo.

SPasciuti

Without reading the sample, I had no interest in reading this book. While I was vaguely curious about the woman who was described in a review as floating naked down the river and what her story was, everything else was rather unappealing to me. After reading the sample, I still don’t think this book is for me. The topic of fishing is one I find exceedingly boring and I just don’t think I’d be interested in reading a book that has fishing as a focus.

The book appears professionally edited and well written. I feel like the author does a good job of introducing the character of Rose, but runs into some problems with an excessive amount of exposition from the very start. I wish some of the information thrown at us had been reserved for showing rather than telling.

I did read the OnlineBookClub review and ultimately it influenced me only insofar as it made me want to read the book less due to the fly fishing and more to solve the mystery of the woman.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2018, at 2:16 am by SPasciuti.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would not have read the book as I do not think it is my genre. After reading the sample I have not changed my mind. I feel like the narration was sometimes a little tedious; starting with the sentence "the caddis itself is a fly-like bug..." I felt like the technical descriptions were too grouped together into one paragraph that was a little overwhelming. Maybe if some of it was incorporated into dialogue, there would be more "show" not "tell". It seemed professionally edited. I did not read an official review but this did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2018, at 2:24 am by psychopathycathy.

MarisaRose

After reading the blurb for “Reel Sisters,” I was on the fence about reading it. I was intrigued by the character driven story and mystery, but the setting didn’t appeal to me. After reading the OBC review, I thought I’d pass on this book because of all the fly fishing talk the reviewer mentioned. After sampling the first ten pages, I thought the narrative moved fairly slowly. There is a lot of time spent introducing things, and I wasn’t interested in the fly fishing aspect. However, I thought the narrative was well written (I didn’t notice any errors), and the main character seems interesting. Based on the main topic of fishing, I don’t plan to read any more of this book.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2018, at 6:42 am by MarisaRose.

Total ~ 32%

The Reel Sisters earned a score of 32%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 32% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for The Reel Sisters