Cover for The Reel Sisters

The First Ten Feedback for The Reel Sisters

Because The Reel Sisters was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as this is not my typical read. The cover is eye-catching, and the blurb gives a good sense of the plot. Reading the sample didn't change my first impression of the book. While the premise of the book is original, I wasn't taken in by the sample. I like that the book is told in alternating points of view. However, it was a little draggy to read due to the detailed backstory of each character and the info about fly-fishing. Although I didn't notice any glaring errors, the writing felt stiff at times. I won't read the book as it isn't my cup of tea. The positive OBC reviews didn't sway my decision either way.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 8:56 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Yolimari

I would not have sampled this book without this program because I have never read about fishing. I became interested in this book because it is the book of the month. The OBC review indicated the book was a story about friendship between a diverse group of women who practice fly fishing. I thought it was going to be boring because of the fishing. After I read the sample pages, I liked the flow of the story, the design of the book, and that it is narrated from different perspectives. I thought the book was professionally edited. Yes, I will read this book because I am interested in the dynamics of the women’s friendship.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 9:07 am by Yolimari.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

hsimone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this read. Based on the cover and title, I actually thought this was nonfiction. In any case, I'm not into reading Women's Fiction. I like how concise the blurb is, but the storyline isn't one for me. By reading the OBC review, the fact that the dialogue can be stiff at times would turn me off. However, I see that there is a note that there is an updated version. The positive customer reviews do not sway my opinion of the book one way or the other.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be edited well. I like how conversational Sophie's voice was, and I must say, I chuckled at Rule #1 in fly fishing. However, as the story progressed, there was more talk about fly fishing and caddis, which I did not enjoy. Due to this being a topic that isn't interesting to me, and one that I'm not familiar with, I do not plan on buying and finishing this read.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 10:14 am by hsimone.

Joy2thenations

I wasn’t too sure how a book surrounding flyfishing could interest me in the least. The cover seems more like the cover of a how-to book. But, I was pleasantly surprised especially how the author developed her characters and really brought them to life. In the sample that I read, I found no grammatical or typographical error‘s. I think a cover depicting a couple ladies at a river, having fun would be more appealing, to me at least. Normally, I probably would not continue reading this book just because I don’t have the time and it isn’t my usual genre. However, because it is the Book Of The Month, I am going to read it to get into the discussion on the forums.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 10:16 am by Joy2thenations.

Vickie Noel

I'd heard nice things about this book and was curious to investigate it based on the customer reviews written. Having done so by reading the sample, I'm not all that captivated. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with the book, the story just isn't my type. I got bored with the narration long before I encountered dialogue and I don't know much about the subject matter, neither can I say I'm all that interested in learning about it. I didn't spot any grammatical errors and found nothing to be improved on. The OBC review on it was enlightening but did nothing to influence my decision.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 11:03 am by Vickie Noel.

ZenaLei7

After reading the first ten pages, I decided not to finish reading the book. The sample wasn't interesting enough for me. I do like the book cover and title so if I were to sample the book based on just the cover and title, I probably would have chosen to sample it because they both look interesting. While reading the sample, I didn't notice any grammatical errors either. I also read the official OBC review for this book which was helpful in solidifying my decision on taking a pass on this book. There isn't anything I would change anything about this book.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 11:49 am by ZenaLei7.

Snowflake

The cover and title are a bit confusing for the non-fisher. I actually thought this was going to be a book about film reels not, fishing reels. The picture is too close up for the non-initiated! The Amazon blurb was ok but a little long. A brief, concise synopsis is more appealing to me. I am not sure if I would have sampled this book without the first ten pages program. I enjoyed the sample. I like the characters and the situations they are in. I could feel the sunlight and enjoyment of the outdoors. I did not notice any obvious typos or grammar errors. The OBC review was quite positive and helpful. I also agree with the OBC review that the language seemed quite stilted and formal at times. With more ease added to the writing, this would be a fantastic book. It's already a good and interesting one and a genre I enjoy. I would like to read more, so I plan to purchase this book and read the rest of it.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 11:58 am by Snowflake.

MsTri

Even though I like the title of this book, I was not attracted to the cover. The synopsis and review both confirmed that I do not want to read this. I do like fishing and have fond memories of doing so when I was young. However, I do not hang out with women, so I don't like to read books or watch television shows that involve gaggles of women doing things. The sample read was okay. It seems to be properly edited, which is always a plus. Funnily enough, my favorite part was when the women met up and had some conversation, joking with each other. I also liked the puns and little pictures. As for what I'd change, I wouldn't change anything; this just isn't a genre that I like.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 12:30 pm by MsTri.

BookishCreature

At first glance, I felt pretty good about this book. Though the cover isn't very exciting, the synopsis is interesting, and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. It's also the February book of the month on OBC, so I was tempted to buy it just so I could participate in the discussions. After reading the first ten pages, I'm definitely excited to read it. I love the voice of the narrator - it's a very friendly, readable, conversational tone, and I found myself not wanting to stop. I really want to see what is in store for this character. The book seems professionally edited, though a few minor issues slipped through. On the first page, 'fly fishing' should not be capitalized. The scientific names of insects are incorrectly formatted - they need to be italicized, with the first name capitalized and the last name lowercase. Overall, I'm excited to give this book a shot!

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 12:31 pm by BookishCreature.

ritah

Based on the cover and title, I wouldn't have sampled the book because it didn't appeal to me. I read the official review and then sampled the book. I liked the sense of humor; when Sophie talked about the 'art of peeing' and her first encounter with Rose. The book appeared to be professionally edited as I did not see any errors. That being said, as I read on my interest dwindled when the narration focused more on certain aspects of fly fishing; I understand that is the main theme of the book, which is why I won't be reading the rest of it.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 2:25 pm by ritah.

Scrawling Pen

I really enjoyed the beginning of this book. The cover image is a great start: it is interesting and inciting. The title is also quite catchy. To be honest, the idea of reading a book focused on fly fishing wasn't exactly on my mind, but after the first few pages I was convinced that it would be good. I didn't find grammatical errors, and it seemed very professional. I love the change of characters and the brief back story that we are able to piece together. I look forward to getting to know these ladies in the story! I did see a review on this book, and it actually may have changed my opinion. One complaint was the stiff dialogue which usually is enough to drive me crazy while reading. It did mention that the review was from an older edition of the book, so I hope that this problem has been fixed.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 2:46 pm by Scrawling Pen.

micoleon13

While the title and the cover page tie in together, it isn't a cover which grabs my attention. I wouldn't go out of my way to look at this book. The Onlinebookclub review was very complementary and made me want to read it. I liked that it mentioned strong characters all tied together by their love of fishing. The pages which I read were well written and edited. I liked the writing style of the author and I was interested in the story line. Often when two people from different backgrounds and generations somehow become friends it makes for a great change of perspective, which is the feeling I got from this book. I would like to continue reading this book. I have no ideas for improvement.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 4:43 pm by micoleon13.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read pure romance books. Having read the sample, I liked the quotes that the author included. Further, I thought that the author described the characters' thoughts and feelings well. The book seems professionally edited and has favorable onlinebookclub reviews. However, there were many words describing traditions or culture, that I could not understand. Further, the sample could not hold my attention. Hence, I will not be reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 5:07 pm by AA1495.

BunnySTx

After reading a sample of, The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings, I have decided that I will not be purchasing this book. My first thought when I saw the cover of this was book was it looked like a memoir. The cover didn't appeal to me and make me want to pick it up. When I read the blurb, I didn't feel engaged to read the story. If I had not read a sample of this book, I would not have picked it up. As I read the story, the characters didn't engage my interest. I appreciate that the author gives each character a specific chapter. I feel this makes the story easier to follow along. This way there is no mix-up as to who is the focus. Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review. The reviewer doesn't engage my interest in the story. I don't feel this will be a good fit for me.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 7:24 pm by BunnySTx.

CrescentMoon

Based on the blurb, I probably would pick this book up because I do like the premise of self-discovery and the strength of friendship and I like how the women bond over their love of fly-fishing. After reading the first ten pages, however, I don't think I'll be reading the rest of the book. I didn't see any major spelling or grammar errors. I like how events are told through different characters' points of view so that the reader can see each individual's thoughts and actions. However, it did start off a little too slowly for my taste. I'm sure it will pick up later on, but I just wasn't hooked enough to want to read the rest.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 7:33 pm by CrescentMoon.

Bluecobia

The cover and title of this book do a good job of indicating what this book is all about. The amazon and book club reviews helped peak my interest in this book. I might have read further based on the reviews but being part of this program cinched my desire to read the sample. I like that the author is giving good basic information about fly fishing without over doing it. I am not sure how much I can get into the detailed lives and feelings of a group of women. I did not notice any editorial errors but the review indicated there there are many, so, I am not sure about the editing. I have read more of the sample than just the first ten pages but I am not currently planning on reading the rest of this book right now. I am looking to read a good science fiction book next. I don't want to get into a group of women's feelings right now.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 7:51 pm by Bluecobia.

Dolor

I will really buy and read this book, with or without the First Ten program because I had experienced fun in fly fishing. Aside from that,  I love everything in this book from the cover, title, genre, to the book description on Amazon. It gains perfect ratings on Amazon reviews while the review posted on OBC website is the superseded version. I have not found any error in the first ten pages. The author perhaps had this book proofread. It is professionally edited. I have no improvement suggestion. The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is an uplifting story of sisterhood that is bonded by fly fishing delight. It teaches us to embrace life, and to value the shared moments.

#WomensFiction #Sisterhood
#Adventure #friendship

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 8:42 pm by Dolor.

va2016

The title nicely indicates that the book is about friendship among
a group of women, and the word 'reel' is kind of indicative that
it's about fly-fishing but the cover picture nails it by depicting
the fly-fishing rod! So, I would pick this book based on the cover
even if I had not sampled the book because of my interest in
fly-fishing! I am presuming anyone else who's interested in
fly-fishing would do so too! I am going to read this book in full
as I found during my sampling that the books talks a lot about
fly-fishing and the protagonist's experiences in it. I liked the
casual way of narration and the interesting points about fly-fishing.
I figure I would also like the narration of the friendship bonds
created between the characters. I found that the writing style is
a bit too wordy and could be succinct. I found that the book
has been professionally edited and I didn't find any grammatical
or mechanical errors in my sampling. I did find OBC reviews of this
book but my decision to read to this book in full is based on my
own sampling.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2018, at 8:55 pm by va2016.

ladycraic

I wouldn't have chosen to sample The Reel Sisters apart from First Ten. The cover is not appealing and doesn't indicate that I would find this book interesting. The blurb caught me off-guard - I was not expecting four fly fishers to rescue a naked woman found in some river but that just makes this book even more unique. I was a bit hesitant going in to read. I just typically don't read many stories that place much emphasis on fishing, and mainly because those kinds of stories never crossed my path. Reading the first ten pages felt a bit dragged out in the beginning. I was getting lengthy descriptions about fly fishing but I did come to understand the whole concept better. On the other hand, it was interesting to listen to Sophie's many stories. I will not be finishing this book due to the fact that I wasn't terribly interested in the plot. The official OBC review didn't influence my decision.

From what I read so far, this book seems professionally edited and I didn't notice any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 12:06 am by ladycraic.

Afuglsan

I'm hooked. I think the play on words for the title is cute and funny, plus the cover compliments what the book will be about. I'm not big on memoirs, so I was a little timid. It was interesting reading the reviews of all the people that don't know what fly fishing is or don't like fishing in general. But, I didn't let that affect my opinion because I love fishing. I am a fishing girl, too. Although fly fishing isn't my favorite form, I still like it. I thought the start of the book was great. There were a lot of quotes, but they really complimented the book. I especially like the, "What are you wading for." Hilarious. I enjoyed the first ten pages. I don't have any complaints. I didn't see any errors. I would love to read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 12:28 am by Afuglsan.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I found the cover and title of this book plain. I would not have picked it up because I do not know much about fly fishing. The OBC was favorable, but it did not leave much of an impact on me. The first few pages of this book were professionally edited. Unfortunately, I noticed a couple of fly fishing terms that I am not familiar with and fly fishing seems like it plays a big role in the plot of this book. So, since I am not interested in that sport, I do not think this book is for me.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 1:03 am by Sarah_Khan.

Momiji1987

I really like the design of the cover and the inside of the book. It’s both cute and classy. I thought the tidbit in the credits about the female fly fisher’s book from the 1400’s was very interesting and not something I was even aware of. I enjoyed learning about that. Sophie is very earthy, saucy, and blunt. She’s not shy about anything and is generally not the kind of female character you read about in books. I like that the author chose to write about women outside the norm. She also clearly has passion and love for fly fishing which shines through in her writing. The editing is very professional and I didn’t see any mistakes. This genre isn’t really to my liking so I wouldn’t have found this book on my own. The book club review was positive, but didn’t have much effect on my personal decisions regarding this book. It’s a good book, well-written with characters that come to life. It’s not really my style, but those who love this genre should enjoy it.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 1:39 am by Momiji1987.

ReviewerDiksha

The title and the cover of this book don't invoke interest. I read the official OBC review. It stated that the main theme of the book was set around fly fishing. I know nothing about this, and neither am I interested in the subject. I read the sample, and it appears that the story has fly fishing as its setting but the story takes another route. The beginning seemed good, but it wasn't strong enough to maintain interest. The scene of rescuing the stranger seemed interesting, but the overall writing wasn't catchy enough. Mostly the talk about fly fishing seemed uninteresting to me. I didn't really understand that part of the conversation.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 5:54 am by ReviewerDiksha.

jwalker73

I was drawn to the cover as I enjoy fishing. The blurb also sounded interesting as I like stories that are based on friendships. I thought the use of fishing as the common denominator among this group of women was also a unique concept for a book. I found the first ten pages were engaging and set the scene for the story. The cabin seems to be a place where this group of women all feel at home. I loved the little drawings in the book. The fishing rod at the start of the chapters and the fish for breaks in the story added to the visual appeal of the book. I did not detect errors in these ten pages, but note the reviewer states there were several in the book. I intend to read the rest of the book as it sounds like it could be a relaxing, feel-good read.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 7:24 am by jwalker73.

IsabelMay

I wouldn't sample the book based on the cover, but I would check it out thanks to the description and a couple of good reviews. The reviews got my hopes up, but I wasn't impressed with the sample. It resembled a first draft rather than a published book. I didn't find the story interesting because the ''fiction'' part was lacking. The book didn't seem to be well-edited and the formatting was bad. It might seem foolish, but the font ruined it for me. I had a feeling like I was reading a school essay, not a book. As previously mentioned, this is something between a work of fiction and a manual. I lost interest due to the amount of irrelevant description. Latin terminology for flies, hook sizes, temperature outside measured in degrees... it's a bit too much for me. To be frank, I can't point out anything I liked about the sample. I only liked the premise of the book, but not the execution. This could be an enjoyable read for those who go fly fishing, but it's not my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 2:08 pm by IsabelMay.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I would not have read it. Although stereotypical to say, the fact that this is a book about a group of women and their past time turned me off from the get-go; it just isn't something that I would usually read. After reading the first ten pages, I did not change my mind. Despite not changing my mind, there were several things I enjoyed in the sample. I realised that humour and character development were going to play very big roles in this story. I loved how these were presented even in the small sample that I read. I didn't see anything specific that I would have wanted to change in the sample as the book definitely seemed well written and edited. Simply because the subject matter doesn't interest me, I will not be buying and reading the rest of this book. The official review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 8:42 pm by Scerakor.

Kathryn Price

This book had an interesting style to it that fascinated me. Before I read the intro, I had the impression it was about movies (reels) because I only saw a glimpse of the cover. The sometimes crude language made me cringe at times, but the overall impression that the opening gave me was very pleasant and inviting. I didn't catch any errors and the narrative flowed well. Because of the other books already in my reading list, I probably won't get to the rest of this one, but it didn't seem like a bad book in my opinion. Other people just might place a higher priority on it than I do.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2018, at 11:54 pm by Kathryn Price.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb, and OBC review. It sounded like a unique book. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I like that it is set in Colorado. However, the story didn't really draw me in. There isn't anything particular that I didn't like; I just don't think it is the book for me. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2018, at 12:22 am by anneloretrujillo.

SPasciuti

Without reading the sample, I had no interest in reading this book. While I was vaguely curious about the woman who was described in a review as floating naked down the river and what her story was, everything else was rather unappealing to me. After reading the sample, I still don’t think this book is for me. The topic of fishing is one I find exceedingly boring and I just don’t think I’d be interested in reading a book that has fishing as a focus.

The book appears professionally edited and well written. I feel like the author does a good job of introducing the character of Rose, but runs into some problems with an excessive amount of exposition from the very start. I wish some of the information thrown at us had been reserved for showing rather than telling.

I did read the OnlineBookClub review and ultimately it influenced me only insofar as it made me want to read the book less due to the fly fishing and more to solve the mystery of the woman.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2018, at 2:16 am by SPasciuti.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would not have read the book as I do not think it is my genre. After reading the sample I have not changed my mind. I feel like the narration was sometimes a little tedious; starting with the sentence "the caddis itself is a fly-like bug..." I felt like the technical descriptions were too grouped together into one paragraph that was a little overwhelming. Maybe if some of it was incorporated into dialogue, there would be more "show" not "tell". It seemed professionally edited. I did not read an official review but this did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2018, at 2:24 am by psychopathycathy.

MarisaRose

After reading the blurb for “Reel Sisters,” I was on the fence about reading it. I was intrigued by the character driven story and mystery, but the setting didn’t appeal to me. After reading the OBC review, I thought I’d pass on this book because of all the fly fishing talk the reviewer mentioned. After sampling the first ten pages, I thought the narrative moved fairly slowly. There is a lot of time spent introducing things, and I wasn’t interested in the fly fishing aspect. However, I thought the narrative was well written (I didn’t notice any errors), and the main character seems interesting. Based on the main topic of fishing, I don’t plan to read any more of this book.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2018, at 6:42 am by MarisaRose.

LV2R

I like the cover and the title, and I wanted to know more about the book. The Amazon Blurb almost made it sound like a woman was found dead in the water, but the OBC review mentioned that the woman was Melody who was rescued from the river. She became part of the group of four women who liked to fly fish. I wanted to read the sample of the book to decide if I wanted to read the book or not. The first ten pages were mostly about Sophie and her perspective on fly-fishing and her friendship with Rose. I liked that Sophie was a tomboy growing up and hunted and fished in Kansas with her brothers and dad. The best part was when she shared how after watching Brad Pitt fly-fishing in the movie, "The River Runs Through It", she was hooked. That was funny to me. The book seems to be well written and edited. I want to read the book to not only learn a bit about fly-fishing but to know how each woman’s life is weaved into fly-fishing and friendship.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 11:40 am by LV2R.

cpru68

Sophie has spent her childhood surrounded by the outdoors with fishing and hunting. A true tomboy finds her calling to fly fish and moves to Colorado to
begin her life there by running a greenery. She meets three women Rose, Veronica and Amanda, and much like a book club, they all enjoy fly fishing with one another. I liked how the author introduces each character with a new chapter. Having multiple characters and storylines can get confusing, and I felt this was nicely organized to help keep things straight initially. I liked the background on Sophie and her lost love, but she shows strength as an independent woman who walks away from a relationship that she knew was not good for her after he married another woman who then dies. She could have went back to him but chooses her own path. This book seems to be professionally edited as I did not find any errors in grammar, punctuation or spelling in the portion I read. While I love the title, the artwork and was impressed by the glowing review, I cannot read this entire book at this time due to other reading obligations. I did enjoy the sample, and wish this author the best of luck.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 12:01 pm by cpru68.

Laura Bach

"The reel Sisters" is a book about women who enjoy fly fishing. The book is basically a fishing book. The first chapter is from Sophie's perspective. She talks about fishing in the Arkansas River with Rose, and how she started fly fishing. Rose has a cabin in the mountains where the four friends come and have fishing trips. I found the writing to be fresh and entertaining. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy reading about anything related to fishing. I wouldn't have tried the book without the program and I won't continue it for the reason mentioned above. Although the review I read put the book in a good light, I prefer to read about subjects I enjoy, maybe some hobbies of mine. There were no grammatical errors I saw.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 1:17 pm by Laura Bach.

Julie Green

I would not have chosen to read this book based on the title and cover; the image, in particular, is fairly functional and does not inspire me. Having read the opening pages, I will not be reading the book. On the plus side, the author can tell a good story e.g. Sophie thinking back to the time when she shot her first pheasant - when her father plucked a feather from the pheasant and stuck it in her hat. I'm also drawn into the intricacies of fly fishing in a way that I never thought I would be e.g. the descriptions of the various kinds of bait on offer. I can also imagine following with interest Sophie's relationships with Rose and Buck. Unfortunately, the story is quite slow - which is probably appropriate given the rural, quiet setting. It is just a little too slow for me to be interested in finishing the book. I did not spot any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 1:21 pm by Julie Green.

lavellan

I probably would have not read the sample of The Reel Sisters if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. The Book of the Day review was positive, but I am not very interested in fly-fishing. The book seemed like it was professionally edited and I did not notice any errors while reading. I enjoyed the friendship between Rose and Sophie. The scene where they met in the fishing shop was entertaining. I thought that too much time was spent on the logistics of fly-fishing. For people who don't know anything about the sport, the descriptions were confusing. As a result of this, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 1:24 pm by lavellan.

Allyseria

Neither the book title or the book cover attracted me. It sounded like it was a non-fiction book. The blurb also did not interest me because I don't usually like reading about life stories. However, when I read the OnlineBookClub review, I became a little interested in the character, Sophie, and how she dealt with her struggles of raising her two small children. Due to it mentioning fly fishing, I hoped that it wouldn't be the main focus of the book because I'm not a particular fan of the sport. When I started reading the sample, I like that Sophie sounded like a real person. I can also already tell that it's going to be a light read. However, there were lots of things that were detailed that made me disinterested. For example, explaining the 'caddis hatch' and 'the hypnotic motion of her (fishing) line'. There was also quite a lot of backstory involved - one for each character; Sophie, Veronica, Amanda, Rose and Melody. From the blurb, I had kind of expected them to be in the middle of fly fishing and suddenly finding the naked girl. When Amanda's chapter came up, she sounded odd. The entire dialogue in that chapter was weird and borderline cringey.

Overall, I won't be reading the rest of the book.

Note: The book had been professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 2:18 pm by Allyseria.

cristinaro

I wouldn't have read this book if it hadn't been for the first ten program. The subject of fly fishing as the common bond between five different women is quite unusual. It definitely triggers my curiosity in spite of the placid cover and banal title. There are no editorial reviews, but there are many customer reviews with 4 or 5 stars. I like the motto from Henry David Thoreau: "Many people fish all their lives not knowing it's not the fish they are after...". Call me a hypocrite, yet I would prefer for a book not to start with a peroration on the necessity of peeing before going for fly fishing. From Sophie's confession I thought the book is more about friendship and its importance and meaning rather than about fly fishing. However, there are many technical details about fly fishing which I find boring in what I expected to be a novel. I did like the description of the way Rose was fishing as if she perfected a genuine art. Unfortunately, the pace of the story is much too slow and uneventful for my taste even if the change of perspectives from one friend to another might add some intensity later. I couldn't find any editing errors in the sample. All in all, not even the positive OBC review managed to convince me to add this book to my reading list.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 3:34 pm by cristinaro.

HRichards

I will not be reading the whole book as I'm reading too many other things and the fly fishing concept doesn't really appeal to me. The first ten pages are very well written and I didn't notice any grammar errors. It appears to be well edited. The character of Sophie was well set up and her love of fly fishing was understandable, as was her friendship with Rose. I appreciated some of the humor that was evident immediately, though I thought it might not have been the best idea to start a book off with a pee joke. The fly fishing jargon got a little technical for me, but this was a well written sample. I did not see any official reviews for the book.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 3:43 pm by HRichards.

mtsnel006

I did not find the cover for the book to be attractive and inviting, so, I probably would not have chosen to read the book. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be nice, but I still will not read it entirely because it focuses on the flying fish sport, and since I am not much of a sporty person, I might not understand some of the things they talk about. At the beginning of the book, we are introduced to Rose, Sophia, Amanda, Melody, and Veronica, who meet with each other on the weekend of fly fishing. These women share a lot on their personal challenges. For example, Sophie poured out her struggles with finding love. I did not notice any editorial errors with the book. Thanks.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 3:55 pm by mtsnel006.

sharkyjen998

Based on the cover, genre, blurb, and reviews, this was not a book I would have chosen to read. I am not very interested about fishing or the overall book’s themes. After reading the sample ten pages, I still won’t be reading the whole book for the same reasons. I am not very interested in fishing, which is a central theme in the story. I’m also not very interested in the women’s relationships with each other. I didn’t notice any errors in the sample, so it appeared to be formally edited. My favorite part of the beginning was the description of the girl’s cabin. Sophia had built it with her husband, and the place became a refuge for her. Such an escape seems like a dream! I really enjoyed reading that portion. It almost made me want to become an outdoorsy fisherman type! I did read a review before writing this, but it didn’t change my decision.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 4:09 pm by sharkyjen998.

CinWin

"The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings is a story of friendship - both the joys and pains in life. It begins by giving us a rundown of the 4 women's lives and how they met. There is a lot of "fly fishing talk" which was a bit boring to me since I have never done it. However, I did enjoy reading about each individual woman and how they met. Had I not sampled the first 10 pages, I would not have read it based on the cover. I am not planning on finishing the book because it is not really my genre. I am more into murder-mysteries. I cannot think of anything to improve upon. I liked how she took each character and gave them a chapter to explain their life. It made it easier to understand. There were no typographical errors and there was an online book review.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 4:12 pm by CinWin.

FictionLover

I would not have chose to read this book based on title or cover. I have seen it several times on the OBC website and never gave it a look. I'm not sure what I thought it was about. However, the Amazon blurb and the OBC review both got my attention. The sample was very well written and I enjoyed the author's description of fly fishing. I loved the section narrated by Sophie, which I thought was just the right amount of back-story intertwined with fishing information. When I got to the scene where Sophie teaches Veronica to fly fish, I felt like I was hit in the face with a "city girl" cliche and it just turned me off. I know this is art and not real life, but I also found it odd that 2 women would be open to fishing dates with someone they don't know. . . . I will not be reading this book. . . . What I read seemed professionally edited, I didn't notice any formatting or grammatical errors. . . . I thought the story of Sophie's ex, John, was particularly poignant. . . . I'm not sure what could be improved. Perhaps the cover could add the image of some women to convey the fact that this is a women's fiction title? I actually liked the writing and much of what I read, but I just don't have time to read right now, and maybe that is making me extra critical, because I was leaning toward "yes" at first.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 4:25 pm by FictionLover.

SABRADLEY

The Online Book Club reviewer gave this book four stars, which is a little higher than I would have bestowed, having previously read the book. The sample introduces me to Sophie who meets Rose at a tackle shop and agrees to go on a fly-fishing trip with her at her Colorado cabin. I really like the author's first person narrative and the flashbacks Sophie had of her own childhood. I would have liked to have gotten more dialogue in the first ten pages to really hook me in. The editing was professionally done, revealing no errors. I don't care for the cover art or the title, as both seem a little generic in my opinion. Since I have already read this book, I will not be purchasing it today.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 8:57 pm by SABRADLEY.

Tiny_Turtle

I liked the cover and title. I could tell that it was about women fly-fishing. I thought the bit in the synopsis about them fishing a naked woman from the river was funny. A book about women forming a bond over fly-fishing sounds interesting. Even without the First 10 program, I would have wanted to sample this book.

I enjoyed the first ten pages. I liked that it seemed as if I was reading Sophia's journal. My favorite part was Fly-Fishing Rule #1: "Always go pee before you put your waders on." (location 133). The book seemed to be professionally edited. I have no suggestions for improvements. There was an Official OnlineBookClub review. I believe this will be a lighthearted, heartwarming story. I will be reading this book.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 9:50 pm by Tiny_Turtle.

CataclysmicKnight

I'm not a fan of fishing, and honestly the thought of touching a worm or a fish grosses me out so much that I'd never give it a chance. While reading about fishing is far from gross, it's also not really something I'd ordinarily do, so I likely wouldn't have looked into this if it wasn't the book of the day.

This book really took me by surprise! Michelle writes with a great blend of humor and relatability, and her main character genuinely seems like a cool person to hang out with so far. While most of the first ten pages were dedicated to the art of fly fishing and how she learned from a dude at a fly fishing shop, it's clear that the friendship aspect will be terrific from the bit she talks about her older friend Rose. It's the kind of friendship that people would be jealous of, and she manages to convey that in a matter of pages.

I went into this book assuming it wouldn't be for me, but was really surprised at just how much I enjoyed it. This is definitely a book I want to read the rest of!

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 11:22 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

ObsessedBookNerd

If I had not reviewed the first ten pages of the book I would find the cover and title had made me not want to read the book. The reviews and blurb for this story had me on the fence about reading because while I liked the strong friendship between the female characters, I don’t like or have any interest in fishing. I am not going to buy and read the whole book because reading about fishing in the free sample made me bored and zone out through parts of the story. I also didn’t like how in Sophie’s chapter at the beginning of the book, you can follow along until Veronica and Amanda are introduced to the story then it becomes difficult to understand and keep track of all the characters. They were also abruptly integrated into the book after Sophie talks about her heartbreak over John, her ex-fiancé. The novel did seem professionally edited and I found no spelling or grammatical errors. The thing I liked most about what I read is the friendship, humor and the way you can relate to the characters. Right at the beginning of the book, Sophie is telling the reader that the first rule of fly fishing is to go pee before you put your waders on and I felt like her character was brought to life where you could relate to her. Also Sophie feels relatable when she talks about depression and self-esteem issues after her failed relationship. There is humor throughout the sample of the book that I read and my favorite line is when Sophie meets Rose. Rose says,” That Bitch Creek caught me six brown trout in about two hours last week. That was the best two-dollar hooker I ever bought!” So while reading about fishing made some parts of the book difficult to get through, I did enjoy reading about the strong female bonds between the characters and the humor that the author brought to the book.

First Ten review added on September 23, 2018, at 2:06 am by ObsessedBookNerd.

Cher432

If I had not sampled the first ten pages, I probably would not have read the book as the official OnlineBookClub review was clear that it was about women bonding while fly fishing. Reading the sample did not change my mind although the beggining was nice as it had a funny story of how two characters met each other. However, as I continued, the book went on to describe types of fish, their hatching season and the best place to fish on a river. My eyes glazed over at some point as I do not have even a little bit of interest in fishing. This book would probably be a hit with the right audience but I would not buy and read this book. I did not spot any errors so I think it was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 23, 2018, at 2:50 am by Cher432.

a9436

My first reaction to this book was to remind myself not to judge a book by its cover. I personally oppose fishing, and so assumed from the image that this is not a novel which I would ever want to read, but both the blurb and the OBC review led me re-think, by highlighting the focus on friendships. The transcending of socio-economic barriers is what truly drew me in, and I proceeded to read the first ten pages.

Unfortunately, the talk of fishing, both in passionate and, to me, complicated technical terms, made it difficult for me to truly empathise with the characters, even though Sophie and Amanda seemed highly relateable in other ways. Furthermore, whilst I found no mistakes, the text contained some casual sexism which I also found off-putting. Therefore, I will not finish the book, but I believe that it will be popular amongst those with an interest in fishing.

First Ten review added on September 23, 2018, at 4:50 am by a9436.

Camille Turner

I do like simple covers, like the one for this book, but as a vegetarian, I hate fishing. It's because of that alone that I am not interested in the book. I liked the tone of the first 10 pages and Sophie and Rose seem to have the type of friendship that I can totally relate to between girl friends. The book seems well-written, but I'm just not interested in all of the descriptions of fishing. I'm sure there's much more to the book as alluded to in the first ten pages, the description, and the Amazon reviews. I love the descriptions of nature that I read, but the subject of fishing as the central push behind the story just doesn't appeal to me.

First Ten review added on September 23, 2018, at 10:39 am by Camille Turner.

JuliaKay

I think the title and cover of this book are enough to make me curious and want to know more about it. The cover looks professional. I am not a fan of fishing, and from first impressions, that would I would think this book is about. The blurb and reviews are enough to capture my attention and seem favorable. I think I would have sampled this book even without this program. The book begins with Sophie, and this gives me the impression that the story will follow different women at different times in their lives. I thought it was funny how the narrator mentioned the first rule of fly fishing as going pee before you put your waders on. Rose is also mentioned here, and she owns a cabin in the mountains where it seems that a group of girlfriends like to retreat and fish. Sophie mentions meeting Rose for the first time at a fly shop. Sophie also mentions the types of fish that might be happening at a particular time of year and what bait would be needed; this bit did bore me a bit. I also like how she mentions how when she went and asked for fly fishing lessons for herself, the clerk at the shop was so surprised that the lessons would be for a woman, as it is typically a man's sport. I think the journey of the friendships and bonding in this story would be special, but I am just not interested in the fishing aspect. I do like books the shed women in a different light, especially when they are participating in a mostly male-dominated activity. I did not notice any errors in the first ten pages, and I do believe that this book has been professionally edited. I do not plan on reading the rest of this story because I believe I would be bored.

First Ten review added on September 23, 2018, at 2:58 pm by JuliaKay.

ButterscotchCherrie

I wouldn't have sampled this without the program as I'm not interested in fishing. I also won't buy it after sampling the first ten pages because I don't like to think of fish being caught and I know this book is more character-driven than plot-driven. It did seem professionally edited as I didn't notice any errors. I liked the idea of having a cabin you can retreat to any time, including a key that all the friends can find. I also liked the details about the natural world, such as the information about the caddis fly hatch. Nothing could be improved for someone who wants to read a character-driven story about fishing. As I say, I don't like the thought of fish being caught and therefore fishing details are not of interest to me. I've seen several OnlineBookClub reviews of this book which make me think it wouldn't be my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on September 23, 2018, at 3:05 pm by ButterscotchCherrie.

Bianka Walter

This is not a book that I would have sampled without the first ten program. The subject matter doesn't interest me at all. The first ten pages consisted of different fly fishing stories. How Sophie got involved in it, her first meeting with Buck and Rose, and a few what not to dos. Because so much of the sample was about fishing, I found myself getting very bored. The book seems well edited - I found no errors. Even though the premise is sweet, I can't see myself reading a whole book with the prevalent subject being fishing. The OBC review does point out deeper themes, but this is just not something that I would enjoy.

First Ten review added on September 23, 2018, at 4:25 pm by Bianka Walter.

kfwilson6

I absolutely love the title and cover of this book. However, I really thought all of the details about fly-fishing would absolutely bore me.
I don't tend to gravitate toward books revolving around friendships anyway, so I was ready to pass on this one.
That is until I started reading it. I was immediately taken in by Rule #1 of fly-fishing which is such a unique and hilarious way to start a book. Cummings immediately captured my interest with her first paragraph. I was completely enthralled with the first chapter of this book and Sophie. Cummings's descriptions of scenery and Sophie's enjoyment of fly-fishing are absolutely amazing. I wasn't bored at all. Even the portion about various types of bait was presented in a fun and interesting way. This error-free, heartwarming book is so much more than I would have thought. I will now gladly read The Reel Sisters because Cummings has a beautiful way with words, characters, and humor.

First Ten review added on September 23, 2018, at 5:56 pm by kfwilson6.

RebeccasReading

This is not a book I would normally read. I don't have any interest in the topic of fishing. However, I did already read it when it was previously the Online Book Club book of the month. It is a sweet story of friendship, even for those who aren't interested in fishing. I liked that the author starts off with a discussion about peeing. This alerts potential readers that this is a book with humor. There is nothing in the sample that I think needs improvement. It is professionally designed edited.

First Ten review added on September 23, 2018, at 8:53 pm by RebeccasReading.

Mercy Bolo

This book's cover and title warranted a second glance and the OBC review convinced me to sample it when it mentioned that this is a story about a group of women who bond over fly-fishing. When I read the first ten pages, I liked that although Rose is much older, Sophie considers her a good friend. As I noticed no errors, I'll conclude that the text underwent professional editing, but I won't read the rest of the book because I didn't find the story appealing. As it is, there's nothing I would change about the bit I read.

First Ten review added on September 23, 2018, at 9:13 pm by Mercy Bolo.

Fuzaila

The title and the cover, as well as the blurb were interesting. I absolutely loved the writing style and the narrative voice of Sophia. But all those fishermen-terms like 'Wooly Bugger' or 'Hooker', were alien to me. The writing looked like it was professionally edited. There wasn't anything I particularly disliked but I won't be reading this book since I'm not interested or curious to know more about the story or the characters.

First Ten review added on September 23, 2018, at 11:02 pm by Fuzaila.

Sicily Joy

I like the cover of The Reel Sisters because it is professional looking, simple and yet quite visually appealing. I would have sampled the book based on the description. I liked how the description starts with a woman being lost in the water. I also like that description focuses on the bond between women. When I did sample the book I was indecisive whether I would read the whole book. My main apprehension is that I don't like the sport of fishing. There are elaborate descriptions in the sample of the fly fishing and the equipment used that disinterested me. However, I did like the depictions of female relationships and the lovely descriptions of nature. There is one scene that was particularly endearing where Sophie describes watching Rose fishing. She writes that" Watching her cast is like watching a painter stroke a masterpiece." The official review discussed how well written the female relationships are. Since I like stories about women bonding, I may read this book in the future. However, since, I did not like all the fishing discussion, I am not going to rush to buy The Reel Sisters today. One area of improvement might be to shorten the fishing descriptions to attract a wider audience. I didn't find any errors in the first ten pages and the book seemed professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 24, 2018, at 1:55 am by Sicily Joy.

briellejee

Based on the title and the cover, I think I wouldn't have sampled this book simply because it didn't catch my attention. It is too simplistic for my taste and a reel for a cover doesn't really tell you anything except that it looks like a manual for fishing. However, after reading the first ten pages, I already can see the humor of the author, especially with the line, "What are you wading for?". It really cracked me up. Also, Sophie's character is just amazing. The way she told you about rule number one is hilariously sensible, and also the way she introduced how she and Rose met is simply heartwarming. The author's style of writing her characters is superb. It does not feel rushed and she seemed to know how to emphasize each one's individuality. This story of friendship is making my heart warm and the philosophies about life are also relatable enough. However, though I really enjoyed reading the first few pages, the fly-fishing part of the story is my least favorite part and is the reason why I am not going to buy and finish the book. I am just not into reading technicalities and references about fishing. I would recommend this to anyone who isn't bothered by the fly-fishing parts. I found no noticeable errors and the official OBC review certainly helped me in realizing that there is more to this despite the rather bland cover.

First Ten review added on September 24, 2018, at 4:31 am by briellejee.

OloladeO

From the OBC review, the cover and the title of the book is perfect as the book is about fly fishing. Based on it, I would have gone through its content out of curiosity as I don't know anything about fly fishing. The sample begins with Sophie giving rule #1 of fly fishing; always go to pee before you put your waders on. She talked about the first time she met Rose which was in a fly shop. That was the beginning of a lifelong friendship. Rose owned a cabin in the mountains where they often retreat to, to relax and fly fish. Rose is old enough to be her mother and taught her a lot about fishing and life in general. The book seems professionally edited as I did not find any error in the bit that I read. I like the author's writing style and the picture of a fishing rod she used to garnish it with. The characters in the book seem to be filled with humor, which would make for an interesting read especially for those who like to fish. As for me reading it, I think I'll pass because I can't imagine sitting in one place for hours waiting for my bait to catch a fish. I find that really boring. I would rather read about something I like.

First Ten review added on September 24, 2018, at 4:49 am by OloladeO.

desantismt_17

This book’s title made me curious, but the description didn’t really hook me. I like women’s fiction, but the concept really has to jump out at me. Before sampling, I wasn’t thinking about reading. After sampling, I will give this a try. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed no errors. This is definitely not what I usually read, but the voice of the writing just pulled me in. I love the opening with a little information about fly fishing that’s given through such a personal lens. I could relate to the main character within a few short lines. I also love when she remembers meeting Rose. Even though I only heard about Rose at that point, I already liked the character. The descriptions are beautiful. I could see the cottage and the fly fishing area. Really, I almost felt like I was there. I have no improvements to suggest at this time. The OnlineBookClub.org review promised a heartwarming tale of friendship between four women. I’m interested to see how this unfolds.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2018, at 8:56 am by desantismt_17.

SamSim

Prior to sampling the book, I have been intrigued by this one for a while, having read several 3- and 4-star OBC reviews for it. The concept of very different women in very different phases of life bonding over a sport that doesn't often include woman is an interesting one and seems like it would allow for lots of exploration of the human experience. That, in my opinion, makes a good novel. The Amazon reviews are certainly positive. I look forward to sampling this one. In the second sentence, "always" should be capitalized. There should be a comma between "because" and "after." There should be a comma between "Rose" and "we," as well as between "little" and "glass." There should be a comma between "morning" and "we," as well as between "year" and "the." There should be a comma between "on" and "I," as well as between "later" and "I." I don't know if I'd go so far as to say this book seems unedited, but it could use some combing through with regard to commas, at least. I like the humorous, reflective tone. It's funny from the first paragraph, and I was almost immediately engrossed. No trouble dropping into the story. There is inconsistency with the way numbers are presented. I thought the author was spelling out single-digit numbers and making higher numbers literally numerical, but that's not the case throughout. The size numbers for the flies were numerical, but she says she's been in Colorado for "twenty" years. This wouldn't distract me personally as a reader. I'm just pointing it out as a reviewer. There should be a comma between "time" and "he." I'm definitely emotionally invested, at least with Sophie and Rose. If the same proves true for all the other characters yet to be introduced, I would enjoy reading this one. As many reviews pointed out, the characters have depth and feel real. I'm carried along by Sophie's - and Cummings' - storytelling. In the phrase "fly fishing trip," "fly fishing" should be hyphenated because it precedes and describes "trip." I would like to download this book, but I have to budget every penny and it's Christmas time, so I won't be downloading this one today. I am putting it on my wishlist, though.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2018, at 1:16 pm by SamSim.

sonya01

The Reel Sisters is a wonderfully absorbing story of five women and the way their lives intertwine, linked together by a mutual love of fly fishing. It is an unusual subject to make as the focus of any novel, and when I first saw the cover, I had to look twice to figure out what was being depicted. It’s a very clinical picture, perhaps more suited to a manual of fly fishing than a novel. The title, too, doesn’t give much away, and to be honest, initially I wasn’t exactly overwhelmed with curiosity. Reviews were mixed, although in general quite positive about the friendship the women enjoyed. The first ten pages are written clearly and engagingly in the first person, which I often struggle with. However, with this book I had no problem. There are some wonderful quotes at the beginning of the book, that any fishing enthusiast will identify with. The part I like most are the first few lines which describe how hard it is to pee with waders! The grammar and editing are very correct and I could find no fault in this regard. The only thing I think might work against this book is the heavy emphasis on fishing right from the outset. This may put off any reader who is not particularly interested in this sport. I would like to read it through, as I am a fishing enthusiast myself, and would like to learn more about fly fishing in particular.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2018, at 2:25 pm by sonya01.

Sarah Tariq

I sampled the first ten pages of the book based on the interesting themes of friendship and love. The book cover nicely symbolizes the sport of fly fishing. It is a story of five women of different age groups having diverse backgrounds. They have a strong bond of friendship through a unique sport of fly fishing. The first ten pages of the book were very interesting and you feel the presence of each character with its emotional outlook. So I will definitely buy and read the whole book and would recommend it to readers. The book is professionally edited. The most interesting aspect of the book was the strong friendship bond of five sisters and the detailed depiction of the sport of fly fishing. It would be more enjoyable if the author had included pictures to support the story. OBC review will not change my decision.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2018, at 2:47 am by Sarah Tariq.

Gravy

I wouldn't have sampled this. It just isn't my genre, and the sample didn't change my mind.
I didn't notice any errors, and the style is consistent.
The somewhat journalistic voice is not something I enjoy, but it is fairly well done here. Fishing is something that interests me, but not so much in the reading, though I did enjoy the details in the sample. (I also rather enjoyed the humor of the opening scene.)
There was a review for this book, but my opinion would be the same either way.
Due to personal preferences, I will not be reading this.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2018, at 3:59 am by Gravy.

Total ~ 28%

The Reel Sisters earned a score of 28%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 28% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for The Reel Sisters