Cover for And Then I Met Margaret

The First Ten Feedback for And Then I Met Margaret

Because And Then I Met Margaret was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

ritah

The book appeared to be professionally edited. I liked that the author shared all the different things he learned from the all great thinkers he met. Based on the genre I wouldn't have chosen to sample the book because I rarely read non-fiction especially memoirs; it is for the same reason that I won't be reading the whole book. I did see the official OBC review of the book.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 8:54 am by ritah.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

gali

I probably wouldn't have read the book, as it isn't the sort of book I normally gravitate to. The cover is nice and the blurb informative. The sample opened with an enlightening introduction and then moved to the experiences of the author. Unfortunately, it didn't hook me. While I liked the fact that each chapter opened with a myth and closed with a life lesson, the content itself failed to engage me. I won't read the book as self-helped books aren't my cup of tea, nor does the subject matter interests me. The OBC review was convincing, but it didn't affect my decision either way.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 9:06 am by gali.

IsabelMay

I'm not a huge fan of non-fiction and self-help books since they tend to be just the opposite, but the cover and the summary drew me in. I wanted to at least give it a chance. The first ten pages were well-written, they managed to keep my attention and the only thing I disliked were some book titles written in bold. Italic is always better, as bold letters ruined the reading flow here. The stress was put on a bunch of other books that stole the spotlight. It was more like an advertisement than a non-fiction book at the beginning - which is not a positive thing. However, I'd like to find out more so I'll read the rest.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 9:17 am by IsabelMay.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

RegularGuy3

I did not care for the first ten pages of this book at all. The author seems either wildly insecure or narcissistic based on the sheer number of humblebrags and name drops. It is cloying and turned me off to any message that the author might have had. Even the very brief description of meeting with the titular Margaret seems shallow--her lesson is that you can start anew. But by the author's own brief biography, he has already done so at least twice (once to go from the small town to the "big city"; another from teacher to entrepreneur). The official reviewer on this site seemed to enjoy the book and find some meaning, and I didn't find any grammatical errors, but I will not be reading beyond the required ten pages because those pages were legtimately off-putting.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 9:27 am by RegularGuy3.

Christina O Phillips

The cover is very pretty and the title interested me. The summary interested me. I use nonfiction books in my class and this one sounded like something I could use in the future. Without this program, I would've read the sample anyway. I enjoyed the conversational tone and was intrigued by the fact that this author has met authors of books I've read. I also like the end of the chapters with the myths he believed and the realities he discovered. I want to read more about the author, their experiences, and lessons.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 9:42 am by Christina O Phillips.

Ashley Simon

I enjoyed the touching story about the author's Aunt Theresa. I don't plan to finish this book because I am not interested in motivational memoir. However, for people who are interested in this genre, this book seems to be well-written and enjoyable.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 10:10 am by Ashley Simon.

L_Therese

When I saw this book, my first thought was that it would be a romance due to the title and beautiful cover. Then I read the subtitle and author's name, and I realized it is a memoir. I thought I recognized the author's name, but I couldn't place it. I read the first ten pages, and I loved the storytelling. The conceit of equating ordinary people's wisdom to those of self-help gurus is clever, and the tale it makes is charming and humble. I think I'll read this one.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 10:14 am by L_Therese.

Kat Kennedy

This book caught my eye from the beginning. The Online Book Club Review was very interesting, and I was not disappointed when I read the first ten pages. The author writes in a way that pulls the reader in from the beginning. I enjoyed the preview of his guru search and look forward to reading about these encounters in depth.The cover is also well done. I found no editorial issues within the first ten pages. I will be adding this book to my must read list.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 10:28 am by Kat Kennedy.

CataclysmicKnight

I really liked the cover of this one - it really conveys the "personal transformation" and "heading toward something better". I love self-help and self-improvement books, and this one seems unique in that the author not only speaks of the more popular doctrines and authors but also of random people he met. It's clearly a book of knowledge found, not merely repeated from a couple books. I don't know if I would've bought this book if it wasn't free, but I certainly would've checked it out, and I'll absolutely read it sometime since it's free!

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 2:33 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Izesicle

Had I not actually sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read or sample this book based on the nice cover and the topic.
I am going to buy and read the whole book because the stories are inspiring.
Based on what I read, the book seems like it was professionally edited. I didn't notice many typo or grammar errors, just one, Covey's name was misspelled. What I like the most in the bit I read was that the stories were positive.
What could be improved is correcting the typo and removing "and" from the title.
The book has an Official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 3:04 pm by Izesicle.

meteku4

Let me start by saying with verve that this is a book everyone should read, and for that matter I am going to fully read it myself.

Rob White has drawn his readers into the book by making a very profound statement at the beginning of his introduction to the book: "I believe luck isn’t something that happens to me; luck is something that happens through me." Explaining this has led him to help us discover that the solution to inner peace and happiness can reside in ordinary people. The book is professionally edited in my opinion. The only error I detected is found in the opening sentence of page 3. I think it should be, "I attended a workshop led by...", but not " I attended a workshop lead by..." Overall, the book is great and I am sure people will learn from the author's experience.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 3:23 pm by meteku4.

Mercy Bolo

And Then I Met Margaret by Robert White is a memoir about finding inner peace and happiness. He puts across the point that gurus can be found anywhere and this is a book about his interactions with the gurus and the lessons he learned front them.

I intend to complete this book because I absolutely love the content I have read so far. As a young person who is also on the journey of discovery, this book couldn't have come at a better time. I haven't encountered any typos yet and I hope that the rest of the book will be just as enjoyable to read. I hope some of these lessons will come in handy.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 4:53 pm by Mercy Bolo.

jwalker73

I was unsure about the cover but found the title intriguing. The blurb sounded average and, despite the positive OBC review, I still did not think this was a book I would enjoy. I often find motivational reads a bit boring. I would not have chosen to read it. I read the first ten and fell in love with the authors writing style. I was not overly interested in all the famous gurus he visited but once he started to speak of his own personal experiences, which occurred while not actively looking for answers, I was hooked. The writing engaged me. It appears professionally edited. I plan to continue to read this book as I am interested in what myths he dispelled over time.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 5:38 pm by jwalker73.

Sarah_Khan

I like the title of this book. It seems well-written and professionally edited. Unfortunately, the plot does not interest me and memoirs are not my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 6:10 pm by Sarah_Khan.

micoleon13

This is a nice simple cover, but not one which I, personally, would make an effort to pick up and find out more about. The Onlinebookclub review was very complementary and the reviewer obviously enjoyed reading it. I was interested in the writing style as some quotes showed that the author had a flair for words. The pages which I read were well written and edited, although, sometimes the spaces between words were double or triple. This could purely be the fault of my device. I liked the idea of learning lessons about life and success from many different sides, but I was put off a little bit in the first chapter with all the success and not being happy. Then being able to travel around the world to visit important people came across almost like boasting. I'm sure that it changes the further in the book you read, but it didn't really encourage me. I have no ideas for improvement and I will not be continuing with this book.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 7:08 pm by micoleon13.

BunnySTx

After reading a few pages of, And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White, I have decided that I will not be reading this book. If I had not read a sample of this book, I would not have read this book. I am not usually interested in inspirational novels. I will not be finishing this book because it did not pull me in. I didn't find the blurb to be engaging. My first decision, to not read this book, was not changed after reading the first ten pages. Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClubReview. The review highlights several positive attributes concerning this book, but none of them changed my mind. I will not be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 7:40 pm by BunnySTx.

CrescentMoon

Based on the blurb and premise, this book definitely sounds so motivational and uplifting. Although I generally don't read non-fiction books, I actually think the positive vibes from this book really make me want to read this. I hope to read this in the future eventually. I unfortunately don't have the time right now, but I definitely think that readers who need a little motivation and inspiration could greatly benefit from this.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 7:47 pm by CrescentMoon.

bookowlie

The title of this book captured my interest and made me want to know more about it. The summary on Amazon is well written and gives a clear explanation of what the book is about. The sample pages appear to be edited well and the writing has a smooth flow. I thought there was a bit too much name-dropping in the intro, although I did like the first story. Overall the beginning pages interested me enough to want to read further.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 8:35 pm by bookowlie.

va2016

A book about the author on his quest for finding his spiritual self. It's a pretty interesting topic for me. The author in the first few pages lists down the personalities he met on his quest, which is interesting. in the next few chapters, the author starts from his childhood, which lays the foundation for the story of his life. I am always interested in spiritual quest related books, and this book sounds like a treat to me! I have downloaded the book, and I am going to read it in full! Thanks.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 9:24 pm by va2016.

Afuglsan

The cover is beautiful and the title is intriguing. The reviews make this sound like a typical self-motivational novel. Begining the book, I was pretty convinced that it wasn't for me. To me it was boring and sounded like some rich dude preaching "Oh, woe is me. I'm rich but sad." However, the writing got better in the first chapter. I like how he includes a myth and then the reality at the beginning and end of each chapter. I did notice some formatting mistakes in the book. I think I will continue reading it just to see where the story goes.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 10:30 pm by Afuglsan.

Vermont Reviews

What an awesome choice for today's book of the day. And Then I Met Margaret. Rob White has learned where the true treasure is. In relationships. We all have mentors and gurus that we come in contact with everyday. I loved the stories in the preview and look forward to finishing the book. Thank you Rob White for offering the book to our bookclub for free today.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 10:37 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Snowflake

I like the cover and title and I found the Amazon blurb interesting. I would likely have sampled this book without the first ten pages program. The OBC review was also very helpful and added to my interest. I liked the sample. The stlye of writing was easy to follow and easy to relate to. It also seemed well edited. I did not notice any obvious typos or grammar errors. I read this type of life lessons book from time to time and I really like the idea behind this one - that everyday peolpe can be the gurus in our lives. I am glad this book is free today and I plan to read the rest of it.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2017, at 11:36 pm by Snowflake.

Kitkat3

I like the cover and the title. The blurb was sufficient, and most reviews are positive. However, I can't normally get through most self help books, so I would not have sampled this book without this program. The OnlineBookClub review was very positive and made me a little interested in reading the sample. It does appear to be professionally edited. After reading the first ten pages, I do not think that this book is for me.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2017, at 1:57 am by Kitkat3.

ananya92

This is a book in the non-fiction genre. The author narrates his life experiences in this book and the various people he met, and how they influenced his life and vie versa. The book seem to be edited well. I liked the writing style of the book, which is pretty introspective and thoughtful. The review and description give out pretty much what the book is about, and help the reader decide whether to peruse this book or not. While I liked the idea of this book, currently I'm in the middle of another book, therefore, I'll skip this one for now.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2017, at 2:12 am by ananya92.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would have read the book because it sounds very interesting and the cover is beautiful. After reading the sample I have not changed my mind, and I thought the reference to other books and works were helpful as well. I am interested in the childhood perspective mentioned in the official review. The sample was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2017, at 3:04 am by psychopathycathy.

Gingerbo0ks

I was impressed by the amount of positive reviews on Amazon and the OBC review was good at breaking down what the book was about. It set it apart from others of this genre, which is good as this isn't a type of book I would look at usually. I enjoyed reading the sample, but I got the feeling the rest of the book may ramble and not hold my attention. I won't be reading much further as I don't think I can relate to the author that much to read the whole book and apply the whole message.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2017, at 8:25 am by Gingerbo0ks.

Londera

If this book was not apart of the first ten program I would have read this book. I like reading inspirational/motivational books every once in a while. Its nice to learn from other people's experiences.

From reading the first ten pages I was interested in the book and will finish read it. What I liked most is the message of positivity. The book does seem profesionally edited.

I read the official online book club review and it did not influence my opinion of this book.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2017, at 3:50 pm by Londera.

MarisaRose

“Then I Met Margaret” isn’t a book I would typically buy. The premise, genre and perspective done really interest me. After reading the OBC review and sampling the first ten pages, my opinion of the book didn’t change much. Although the book is well written and the author’s voice is interesting enough, I just don’t care for personal stories or motivational accounts. I didn’t notice any grammatical errors in this one. I don’t plan to read anymore of the book.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2017, at 5:21 pm by MarisaRose.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I likely would not have given it a chance. I'm not a big fan of Guru methodology nor do I partake and self-help type books. After reading the first 10 pages, I didn't change my mind. Although the book looks well written and edited and geared particularly for the folks that enjoy reading about how to better yourself, it just confirmed that this book and its style wasn't for me. It's not something I enjoy, nor do I need 15 different gurus telling me how I should live my life. I will not be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2017, at 10:32 pm by Scerakor.

ReadingRebecca

Yes, I will be finishing this book. I am extremely interested in the subject of everyday gurus all around us if we just open our eyes to see them and are willing to learn from them. The cover is great. The OBC review was helpful. I can't wait to continue.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2017, at 11:21 pm by ReadingRebecca.

Vickie Noel

The book title and cover are interesting. That alone, though, would not have made me want to read it, especially as it is non fiction. But the blurb and customer reviews resulted in a U-turn for me alongside the OBC review. The sample was quite engaging and I look forward to completing the book as it seems to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2017, at 11:41 pm by Vickie Noel.

Miche Sora

The author's theory of gurus who appear in your life when you need them is interesting, because I discovered the same thing as well. Money and things don't make your heart happy. Sometimes people say things that just ring true.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2017, at 2:33 am by Miche Sora.

ZeroChill

No I wouldn't have read the book because I am not very fond of this genre. Even after reading the first ten pages I had the same opinion. The beginning of the book wasn't as attractive to me as it should have been to make me read the whole book.
I didn't find any errors is the first few pages. Honestly, I didn't like anything in the first few pages. There was an official review that was well written but still I wouldn't be reading the whole book.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2017, at 2:45 am by ZeroChill.

anneloretrujillo

I wouldn't have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb, and OBC review. I'm not really into non-fiction books, even memoirs. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be reading this book. The style was like most memoirs. While this is great for someone that enjoys the genre, it's not what I'm looking for in a book. The author did use good description, and the book seemed to be professionally edited. It just isn't my type of book.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2017, at 2:50 am by anneloretrujillo.

Gravy

I'm not a fan of this genre, so I would not have looked at this.
However, aside from the (seemingly obligatory) 'self-help' opener, I enjoyed the memoir-like style. I'm currently unsure of whether or not I will read this, just because of the genre, so I have to answer with a no. At least for the moment.
I didn't notice any errors, and the cover is very attractive.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2017, at 3:35 am by Gravy.

truebookaddict

This is my kind of book! I knew when I read the description that this would be one I would want to read. I like that he embarked on this journey when he turned 50. I'll be fifty next year and I like the idea that it's never too late to start again or discover something new. I honestly can't wait to read the rest of this. I love the diverse set of people that he sought out. So many people only look in one spiritual direction to find their peace. This book proves that there are many different paths to change and self-discovery, and yes, even inner peace. We have only to seek them out. The editing seems professional. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors. (Note: This book was officially reviewed on OBC)

First Ten review added on October 29, 2017, at 4:04 am by truebookaddict.

hsimone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this read. This is mainly to do with the genre; I don't normally read self-help books as I don't find them particularly useful for me. The cover is fine, but doesn't catch my interest. I found the blurb to be lengthy, and though there are positive reviews, including the OBC one, I still would not have sampled this read on my own. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I like how open and honest the author is from the beginning; it can help a reader become comfortable and willing to read the book. However, I do feel the author is just listing a bag of accomplishments and that's a bit off-putting. With this, along with the book's genre and the fact that the content wasn't captivating enough for me, I do not plan on finishing the read.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2017, at 4:46 am by hsimone.

Cjgarland89

Based on the cover I can tell this wouldn’t be a book I am interested in. It looks like a personal journey type book and I don’t read those usually. The OBC review paints a clear picture of the content. A story of a man and his life journey. The sample was pretty slow going, and didn’t seem to be going anywhere I’d like to continue. It is free from errors, but I will not be reading this.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2017, at 6:59 am by Cjgarland89.

ReviewerDiksha

The cover of this book is pretty and the title seems like a good story is in store. The offical OBC review increased my interest to get a hold of this book. I read the sample and found out that, though a good one, it is not for me.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2017, at 8:03 am by ReviewerDiksha.

desantismt_17

This book’s title didn’t hook my interest. The description’s reference to gurus and learning lessons through small life moments, though, made me curious. Before sampling, I was thinking about reading this. After sampling, I’m interested enough to read the rest. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed no errors. My favorite part is the author’s easy voice. It’s conversational, and I didn’t feel like I was being lectured or talked down to. I have no improvements to recommend at this time. The OnlineBookClub.org review’s description of the layout of the book’s chapters looked very unique and made me want to read this even more.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 10:10 am by desantismt_17.

MsTri

Neither the cover nor title for this book grabbed me, but then the synopsis peaked my interest; the book sounds like a nonfiction story similar to "The Five People You Meet in Heaven". The review further solidified my burgeoning interest. I liked the sample read pretty well. I was very glad that it appears to be professionally edited, and my favorite part was when the author relayed ironically playing "Old Maid" with his aunt who herself was considered an "old maid". I have no suggestions of changes for "And Then I Met Margaret" because it's already written well.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 10:51 am by MsTri.

bb587

The cover is eye-catching. The title appropriately makes me wonder who Margaret is. The synopsis and review made me think this would be a one-of-a-kind self-help book, but I'm not interested in self-help at the moment. After reading the beginning, I think the book is terrific. It's well-written and creative. It shares a unique perspective on self-help by learning from the people around you. I didn't find any mistakes, and that is important to me. I plan on keeping this book in mind for the future, but unfortunately, I still don't want to read it now.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 10:54 am by bb587.

kfwilson6

On occasion I will read motivational books, but I really have to be in the mood for one. I'm glad there is a subtitle for this book because I would have been completely wrong about the topic of this book without it. I think the cover is really lovely. There are so many positive reviews, if I were interested in an inspirational story right now, I would read this book. It just doesn't suit my current reading mood. The sample is well written with no errors. I did find it a little dry getting started with Mr. White listing all of the gurus he sought out. Chapter 1 is much more interesting and easily touches the reader's heart with Mr. White's feelings for his aunt. This seems like a good book for someone in the mood for the particular topic; I just don't care to read it at this time.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 11:07 am by kfwilson6.

lbhatters

"And Then I Met Margaret" does not have a particularly captivating title or cover, so I probably would not pick it up off the shelf to look at in the store, even if it was on sale.

After reading the first ten pages, I think I would definitely buy this book, especially if it was on sale. The book has some very interesting stories, and love the descriptions of his childhood memories and the personal stories such as the recollection of Aunt Theresa's engagement.

The book appears to have been professionally proofread and edited.

My only suggestion is to reconsider the fonts of the cover and maybe the cover design. Some covers look like best selling ones, and others look amateur. This one feels to be in the latter category. The author can ask around and see if my opinion is shared by others.

I feel privileged to have been introduced to this book. It is very good.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 11:51 am by lbhatters.

teacherjh

I have not been in the mood for warm and fuzzy stories lately, so the description and the review did not appeal to me. The cover is interesting with the road leading to somewhere, but I probably would have put this one back on the shelf. However, as I read the introduction and the first chapter about the author's aunt and her kindness, I was pulled in. I especially like the quote "transformation is ultimately dependent upon our denying a lie that has been stopping us from breaking through to higher levels of living." I truly believe this philosophy. I think I will put this one on my reading list. I did not see any editing errors, but I do have one suggestion for improvement. The introduction drags a little as he describes various gurus. I would shorten this part.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 12:31 pm by teacherjh.

cpru68

I thoroughly enjoyed the opening pages of this book as the author listed all of the self help teachers who have influenced his life. I found what he was saying resonating with me because I have spent a lot of hours reading books written by many of whom he listed, and it has always been a quest to find more that can be done to improve not only myself but relationships with other people. The beginning of this book reminded me that we have to keep our eyes open and our listening ears on so that we see and hear who is helping us along the way. The words: have eyes to see and ears to hear, were on my mind as I worked my way through the first chapter. Which, by the way, had me sobbing because of the poignant story that the author told regarding his Aunt Teresa. What a great reminder that small acts of kindness that seem so insignificant can change the way a person views life.

I did not find any errors and this book seems to be well polished. I like the cover and the title is inviting as the reader is welcomed to listen in on some wise advice from a man who has been impacted throughout his life by teachers who have shown up in disguise. The chapter titles are also very unique and give nothing away which makes me want to keep on reading. With grand reviews and all that this has going for it, how could I not read it? It is going on my want to read shelf and being moved up to the top of my long stack.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 12:53 pm by cpru68.

melissy370

Memoirs are not my favorite to read, so I would pass on this one. The sample did not change my mind. The author's writing was engaging, but I did not like the positive-thinking philosophy he adheres to. The book seems to be, for the most part, professionally edited with only one mistake of a missing quotation mark.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 2:19 pm by melissy370.

Kat Berg

I have seen this book a lot because it has been the book of the month. This is the first time I read any of it. It hasn't appealed to me in the dozens of times that I saw it mentioned or reviewed. After reading the first 10 pages I still don't think I will read the rest. I did not notice any grammatical errors, and it wasn't onerous to read, but I am not a fan of the style of book. It comes across as sunshine and roses and easy, trite answers. Have a tough life? Just don't think about it, instead, think about all the beautiful things and possibilities. However, I can see how some would like this kind of book. I did enjoy the stories, but I wasn't a fan of the overly simplistic wrap-up at the end of the chapters. I did read an official review of this book.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 2:23 pm by Kat Berg.

Libs_Books

I read the OBC review when I first registered on the site a few months ago, but it didn't particularly appeal, so I wouldn't have downloaded it today if it hadn't been for the offer. Although the book has been well written and professionally edited, I found the introduction very odd. I didn't really see the point of the list of gurus, some of whom are people I greatly respect. Then we get the first lesson: The Queen of Hearts. I liked the section about the author's aunt, but I didn't think so much of the rest of it, and the conclusion was fairly unexceptional. Basically, it was just a nice story attached to a piece of homespun wisdom. I didn't see the point in exploring further.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 2:39 pm by Libs_Books.

Dolor

And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White is a very well-written, thoughtful, entertaining, and motivational memoir about the lessons the author had learned that he also shared for others to learn, too. I'm not into memoir, but I will recommend this book to those who are into inspirational, motivational, and self-help book. The author often ties together lessons learned from family members or people in his hometown to the wisdom he shared with his students when he became a teacher. Without the First Ten program I wouldn't have read this book. The cover, the title, and the blurb are professionally edited. The official OBC reviewer gave this book a perfect rating, but did not bid me to change my previous hunch. The first ten pages are error-free and I don't have any improvement suggestion for this book. This book just did not trigger my interest.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 3:52 pm by Dolor.

ladycraic

I would have chosen to sample And Then I Met Margaret due to the visibly appealing cover and my curiosity as to why the title is what it is. I was more interested in sampling the first few pages of this book after looking through the blurb. The concept of reading the transformative experiences the gurus provided the author seemed up my alley. The first ten pages captured my attention, and the way Rob White made sentences flow together appealed to me. Not only will I get some insight from this book, but I will also enjoy it in the process. I plan on finishing the rest of this book! And Then I Met Margaret seems professionally edited and I didn't notice any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 4:15 pm by ladycraic.

bruin

What an interesting motivational memoir. This book is full of stories about different people who have impacted the author’s life. His description of these relationships are engaging & his humor is entertaining. I would like to read more to find out about how the different people he mentions & how his choices lead him to a successful life.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 8:29 pm by bruin.

Kendra M Parker

I’m not usually a big fan of non-fiction. I like to read to explore another world, and I’m not usually interested in memoirs especially. They’re just not my thing. Reading the blurb and the title is somewhat interesting, and I might consider reading the sample based on those. Looking at the start of the sample, though, nothing really grabs my attention and encourages me to read the rest of the book. The long list of seminars and gurus that he visited in the introduction is nice to know, but it was too long and quickly lost my attention. Skipping over to the first chapter, I gave it another chance, and the story about his aunt was touching, but even the first chapter was not quite enough to make me sit down and read the rest of the book. I give credit to the fact that the book is well edited and easy to read, but I don’t think it is quite the thing for me. The official review was complimentary and I think the book will be good for others, but it did not really make me change my mind.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 9:17 pm by Kendra M Parker.

ZenaLei7

After reading the sample, I decided to finish reading the book. I don’t usually read memoirs, but I like the writing style of this book. It drew me in and I wanted to keep reading. The cover is vibrant and I would probably have chosen to sample it based on that. There is nothing that I would change about this book. I also read the official OBC review which was helpful in solidifying my decision to finish reading the book. The book also did not have any grammatical errors either.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 9:33 pm by ZenaLei7.

Kdonegan91

By the cover and title alone, I would have given this book a chance. After reading the first chapter, I am even more compelled to read this. I would not change a thing about this book. The author's writing style is fantastic and the format is easily readable. The chapter progressed nicely. Aunt Theresa sounded like such a caring and loving woman. I have never played the The Old Maid game but I plan on playing it with my young children soon. I will definitely finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on May 21, 2018, at 11:35 pm by Kdonegan91.

Momiji1987

I’m interested in learning from all the “unexpected” gurus the author encountered on his journey. I really like that this book allows us to take what I’m sure was a very costly experience for the author and absorb the lessons he learned. The author is definitely more of a people person than me, so I feel fortunate that he did the hard work in my place and I can reap the rewards of his knowledge. I’m very interested in self-help books and I’ve been interested in reading this one for a while. I love the cover image that shows the road to discovery and the pretty color scheme. The editing appears flawless from what I’ve read so far. The review was glowing which makes me even more excited to read this book.

First Ten review added on May 22, 2018, at 1:02 am by Momiji1987.

cristinaro

Without the first ten program, I would never have heard of Rob White's book considering the fact that motivational books are almost never on my reading list. In this particular case, the title, cover and Amazon blurb are all catchy and interesting. They stick in your mind because they are not typical. The book itself does not follow an established pattern; it includes stories focusing on Rob's revelatory moments and references to the ordinary people who became his unexpected teachers. I was pleasantly surprised to discover so many positive customer reviews. The introduction struck me with the full force of Rob's writing style. By simply enumerating the many famous motivational speakers and writers he met and contrasting them to the "unexpected gurus" in his life, the author manages to attract the readers' attention and make them anxious to learn these people's stories. I completely agree with Rob White about the presence of self-limiting myths in our lives and the necessity to look at things from a different perspective. The first story in the book, The Queen of Hearts, is a wonderful example of how generosity is a proof of love and may unleash the power of change. Aunt Theresa's selfless behavior in his childhood shone as a perfect kind act from which all of us have something to learn. The author's writing style is quite engaging and the book is professionally edited. I know this book was BOTM and has an overwhelming number of 4-star reviews. I have every reason to give it a try.

First Ten review added on May 22, 2018, at 2:59 am by cristinaro.

briellejee

Even though the title is intriguing and the reviews are good, I still wouldn't have sampled the book because I am not really a fan of reading memoirs. After reading the first ten pages, I am still not convinced to read through it all. The author, however, did pique my interest at the first few paragraphs but lost me when he added unnecessary details. Moreover, I liked the part where he put the section of the myth he believed and the reality he discovered; I find it enlightening. There were also no errors detected. In addition, for improvement, I think, the author should have less descriptions about a certain person or event that can lose the interest of the reader. I have also found an OBC review which helped me a lot in deciding whether to read this or not.

First Ten review added on May 22, 2018, at 5:52 am by briellejee.

ButterscotchCherrie

I'm not sure I would have sampled this without the programme as I might not have known from the title or cover what makes it stand out among self-help books. I will read the rest of it on the basis of the first ten pages because I found the story in Chapter 1 very moving. It seems professionally edited as I noticed no errors. I loved the message of the first story best. The author's account of the rotten hand life dealt to Aunt Theresa in the time and place where she lived was heartbreaking. Yet her kindness to her nephew outlived her and inspired so much more. The point about the magic trick in the second chapter may be a bit of a stretch, but given that the purpose of the book is to provide heartwarming anecdotes, I don't think there's anything that needs major improvement. The OnlineBookClub review that I saw summarizes the main points of the book excellently.

First Ten review added on May 22, 2018, at 5:54 am by ButterscotchCherrie.

DancingLady

I saw this book was an older book of the month from before I joined and thought it looked kind of boring to me. The review pretty much just left me wondering who Margaret is. After reading the first 10 pages I feel very sad for the author because, as a Christian, I see him looking for answers in all the wrong places where he will never find true peace. The book was very well written and I found no errors. I don’t plan to finish it because gurus have nothing to offer than I want.

First Ten review added on May 22, 2018, at 8:32 am by DancingLady.

ayoomisope

And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White is a nonfiction motivational book on the author's personal experiences. I would have chosen to read the book without reading the sample first because the book's title and customer reviews' are intriguing. Furthermore, the cover is beautifully illustrated. The sample I read increased my interest tremendously in the book. I appreciate the author's narrative style, and every aspect of the book speaks volumes. The book seems professionally edited. Finally, the book has an official OnlineBookClub review which is astute.

First Ten review added on May 22, 2018, at 8:48 am by ayoomisope.

RebeccasReading

This is not a book I would have normally read. I'm not a fan of memoirs. After reading the sample, my opinion is the same. I did like the author's approach of telling his story via his interactions with the most impactful people he's met. I think that's an interesting story telling technique. I think the introduction could use improvement. I found the author's list of all the important people he's met to be tedious. It seems to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on May 22, 2018, at 9:48 am by RebeccasReading.

KristyKhem

This book’s title was intriguing and I initially thought it would be a romantic story about the author and an enchanting woman named Margaret. However, the cover suggested otherwise and after I read the blurb, I was disappointed that there was nothing romantic about the story. After reading the first ten pages, I have decided not to continue reading because it failed to interest me. The main character is in his ‘seventh decade,’ and I really like to read about youthful, vibrant people who I can relate to. An old person who is now becoming self-aware does not appeal to me.

In my opinion, this book is professionally edited and I did not spot any errors in the pages that I read. Although the introduction felt a bit monotonous, I liked that the real flesh of the book starts off with a childhood short story about the author’s aunt.

First Ten review added on May 22, 2018, at 11:52 am by KristyKhem.

ccrews0408

Based on the review, had I not read the first 10 pages, I would not have read this book. I thought it had a good premise that most of his inspiration in life came once he saw the reality of others situation. Now that I have read the first 10 pages, I still don't plan on reading this book. It actually started off really well and I have a much better understanding of how he gained inspiration once he replaced myth with reality in his mind. I didn't notice any typos or grammatical errors and there was an official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on May 22, 2018, at 12:02 pm by ccrews0408.

Bianka Walter

The illustration on the front of this book is really fantastic. It's an all-round happy cover, and it leads one to believe the story is cheerful. After reading the first ten pages, I'm not sure if I can attest to its cheery nature, but I did think that the book will leave one feeling, at the least, content. I enjoyed the first ten pages, which were very well edited. I am not a big reader of memoirs or self-help books, so this is not one that I would usually read. It is not advertised as a self-help novel, but after reading the sample, I can only believe that it is partially a guide to enrichment. Again, this is not the sort of story I am interested in. The Online Book Club review was very complimentary, but failed to change my mind. I won't be purchasing this book today.

First Ten review added on May 22, 2018, at 3:36 pm by Bianka Walter.

KRay93

The cover has a certain positive and bright air that goes in tune with what the blurb says. The official review tells me that I am going to read a memoir with an inspirational tone, with a good setting work around the town of the author and a structure that is not entirely linear. The first few pages include a brief introduction by the author, which is followed by the first chapter, in which the author makes a particular focus on the figure of his aunt and one of his friends. The prose is very fluid and extremely appropriate for the genre, while the editing work looks impeccable. Unfortunately, this type of nonfiction books that tell the life of a person are not my thing, although it seems that this one has all the requirements to attract those followers of the genre. I will not continue reading this story.

First Ten review added on May 22, 2018, at 6:48 pm by KRay93.

Tbunde5

I wasn’t sure what to expect from the title. Even the OBC review wasn’t very helpful in influencing me to read it. I expected a typical self-help book. After reading the first few chapters, I found myself pleasantly surprised. The author begins each chapter with a common myth regarding how we view the world. He then debunks that myth by relating a story about someone who showed him how to truly be. It was well written and seemed well edited. I enjoyed hearing about all these special people and will probably read the rest of the book since it was free.

First Ten review added on May 22, 2018, at 11:48 pm by Tbunde5.

Total ~ 51%

And Then I Met Margaret earned a score of 51%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 51% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for And Then I Met Margaret