Cover for Busted

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Busted

Because Busted was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

briellejee

Based on the title and cover, I think I would have been curious enough to sample the book. The two of them are not even complimenting each other. The title seemed to be too rough or too loud for the soft and innocent-looking cover, which I think would be the reason why I would sample this. After reading the first few pages, without minding the official OBC review, one would say it revolves on romance. The way Gina described the guy in the white suit, it was clearly known that she is both naive and could be in love at first sight. I am not enthusiastic when it comes to this kind of romance and I'm deeply disappointed that the romantic side of this book showed early in the first few pages, which could definitely be a sour page for non-romantics like myself. Gina's character also has that strength but is clearly not yet developed. The character development in this book is something to look forward to. Since the review has stated that it is a crime-thriller suspense about cartels, I would have loved it if that part is already embedded at the first chapter; or if not, maybe a hint of that aspect of the book should've been shown and maybe it could have helped my impatient self to go on and check the rest of the book. With that said, I would not buy or finish the book. The author's style in laying down her plots are not my cup of tea, though I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves romance and crime-thriller stories since the storyline is interesting nonetheless. I found no noticeable errors and the official OBC review helped me to check this out despite the contrast between the cover and title.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 5:00 am by briellejee.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Vickie Noel

I liked this book when I first saw it for review but another one stole my interest. Asides from that, I would have picked it up in a regular bookstore. The title and cover are my type. The sample was pretty easy to read and flowed well. I liked how Gina and Jason met; their names even rhyme a little. I found no grammatical errors while reading. I'm just not sure the correlation between Gina not breaking the law, the police warning she'd received a few minutes before, and quoting $500 as the fee for her most expensive painting. Would she have quoted a higher or lower amount if the scenario was different? There's no way to tell. Still, that isn't much of a big deal to raise my eyebrows sky-high. The OBC review was intriguing and the description promised mystery and suspense that geared me into sampling the book. I will continue from where I stopped.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 4:55 am by Vickie Noel.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Annelore Trujillo

I would not have sampled this book without this program based on the genre, blurb, and OBC review. I occasionally read C/T/M/H books, but this one didn't catch my interest. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I thought it had a good flow, but I'm not super interested in the story. I liked the encounter with Gina and Jason and the cop. I could definitely see how Gina could be charmed by Jason. He was very witty when he told the cop that he had previously bought the painting and was just paying for it now. However, I hadn't wanted to read the book due to the involvement of drugs, and the beginning of the story wasn't enough to change my mind. Cocaine was mentioned right away in the homeless population, and it's just not something I want to read about. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 2:51 am by Annelore Trujillo.

Sicily Joy

The cover of the book doesn't give a good idea of what the book is about. However, I would have sampled the book based on the genre and the official review because I like crime thrillers. The review paints a picture of a very suspenseful novel. After reading the first ten pages, I decided I would buy and read the book. What first attracted me to the writing was strong character development of Gina. Gina was written as a very relatable character. For example, the book opens with her volunteering in a soup kitchen while thinking about how she was close to becoming homeless herself. She is a sympathetic character therefore I am invested in her story. For instance, I found myself yelling at Gina in my head when she as she befriends a mysterious and shady man while trying to sell her art. Other than the character development, I liked the suspense from the opposing point of view of Miguel, the drug boss, and Bobby, the undercover DEA agent. From the beginning, the reader knows there is a battle coming between these two men. There was nothing in the pages I read that I thought needed improvement. I found no errors and therefore I believe it was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 1:01 am by Sicily Joy.

Kat Berg

This book instantly drew me in. I wouldn't have picked it up based on the cover, but the writing is solid and natural right from the very beginning. One page in and I already cared about Gina and whether or not she would be able to pay her rent, sell a painting, etc. You feel the unfairness of her not being able to sell her paintings on the street as she has done in the past. (The rich not wanting the competition.) And you feel her relief when the cop is pulled to something more urgent and she doesn't get the $250 fine. I did not notice any grammar or editing issues. This book seemed very polished and well-edited. It has just enough detail, and I do not know how it could be improved. I plan to finish this book. I did not read the official OBC review.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 12:59 am by Kat Berg.

Sahani Nimandra

Busted by Michele I. Khoury is a fictional read that focuses on a girl trying to make a living by selling paintings. When she was try to sell her paintings she meets a charming man that made her heart skip-a-beat. Nevertheless, she did not expect this man to create a world of trouble to her. The official OBC review was good, it was descriptive. This plot reminded me of a movie called Lucy. There weren't any hindrances while reading, and this read provides an excellent visualization. The start was exceptionally good, but it didn't meet my expectations. Therefore, I won't be continuing to read this further.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2018, at 12:35 am by Sahani Nimandra.

Chelsy Scherba

I really enjoyed the first chapter more than I thought I would. Gina was relatable and I like that she is an artist trying to make a living during a recession. Mr. White Suit is very intriguing as well (especially how he’s in a fist fight one minute, lying to a cop, and then buying a piece of Gina’s art), but it ruins it for me that he deals in drugs. The review mentioned drug use is fairly explicit in this book, which I’m afraid doesn’t appeal to me much. If not for that, I might have continued reading. As it is, I’ll have to pass. I don’t look for books with heavy adult content, but I’m sure this book will entertain plenty of people. The editing was excellent, I didn’t notice any errors. The cover is lovely and the title fits the subject matter.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 10:01 pm by Chelsy Scherba.

Samantha Simoneau

Prior to sampling the book, the cover, coupled with the title, interested me. I assumed that the artist was broke. The blurb gave me more information and elevated my interest. I like the play on the word "busted," because Gina's not only broke, but she gets inadvertently entangled with a "crime boss." I'm excited to sample this one, since all of the reviews on Amazon are at least 4 stars, and most are perfect scores. I like Gina. She's compassionate, selfless, and content with little, but written believably. Her concern for others felt genuine and realistic, and it made me care what happens to her. I like that, at least as far as I read, the author employs a lot of show, not tell. For example, I didn't know what county Gina lived in until she overheard the tour at the soup kitchen and the tour-giver talked about housing costs in the OC. I like exposition, but I prefer it to be dispensed this way. It feels natural, it builds on itself, and it engages the reader. I can't stand when an author just gives the reader a big fact download at the beginning of the book. Apparently, Khoury's style is more nuanced. At first, I was really put off by all the profanity in the parts centered around the criminals, but I understand that this book would be a lot less realistically written if the author had kept the language squeaky clean, so I really can't fault it. I'm torn because I think this book is well written and well edited and I'm already emotionally invested in Gina, but I really balk at profanity. I already downloaded this book because it was free, but I really think I will finish it. It's quality work and I want to know how the romance angle factors in and how the "good guys" ultimately bring down the "bad guys."

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 9:47 pm by Samantha Simoneau.

KRay93

The design of the cover is stylish, different, and certainly goes hand in hand with the artistic passion of the protagonist that the blurb proposes. The official review speaks of a novel that leaves the reader at the edge of his seat and amazing characters. The first ten pages open with the protagonist volunteering in a dining room for homeless people, followed by an art show in the same area in which she hopes to sell a painting. A minor altercation with a policeman results in an encounter with a wealthy man willing to help her. The prose is very fluid and immersive, while the editing work looks acceptable. Unfortunately, passional crime thrillers do not usually attract my attention, which is why I will not continue reading this book.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 9:36 pm by KRay93.

RebeccasReading

This is a book I would normally read. The description of thrills, romance, and intrigue sound like a perfect combination. After reading the sample, my opinion is the same. I really liked the character of Gina. I found her very relatable. In particular, her fears about becoming homeless in the poor economy were poignant. The only thing I can suggest for improvement is to shorten the description on Amazon. It is quite long and gives away a lot of the plot. It seems to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 8:39 pm by RebeccasReading.

micoleon13

This is an interesting eye-catching cover page. I was curious as to what the story was about. The OnlineBookClub review was very complementary and outlined a story that I was immediately interested in. The quality of the characters is always necessary factor for me and I liked that the reviewer said that it was more a story of strategy than mystery. I was interested in finding out more. The pages which I read were well written and edited and I was immediately drawn into the story, especially the character of Gina. Her compassion for the homeless in the soup kitchen and her worry about whether she can sell enough of her paintings to stay in her apartment made for an interesting and honest character. I would like to continue reading this book and I have no ideas for improvement.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 8:16 pm by micoleon13.

JuliaKay

I don't think this cover looks appealing; it doesn't make me want to know more about the book, but the title is enough to get my attention and at least make me want to know what it's about. The blurb and reviews for this book were just okay for me, but they did not increase my desire to read the book. It's not a genre that I particularly enjoy, and I would not have chosen to sample this book if it were not for this program. Gina McKenna volunteers at a soup kitchen. The first couple of pages are dedicated to describing the homeless situation in Orange County and focus on children in particular. Gina is also a struggling painter. If she doesn't make any money soon, she won't be able to pay her rent. As she is in a park trying to sell her artwork, a man in a white suit comes up to her, and she is instantly attracted to him. The man buys one of her paintings, and he also invites her to a party. The next chapter focuses on Miguel Lopez who apparently ships and sells cocaine. This is mostly where I lose interest in the story. I do not enjoy reading about drug dealing/dealers, drug cartels, and so forth. This is the main reason that I would not continue to read this book. Also, in the first ten pages, it was a little hard to see where the story was going exactly. I did not notice any technical errors, and I do believe that this book has been professionally edited. I also like that Gina is a likable character.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 6:52 pm by JuliaKay.

Bianka Walter

The first ten pages of this book introduce us to three characters, Bobby, Gina and Miguel. Gina is a struggling artist, Miquel is a cocaine kingpin who employs a man named Leo. Bobby is a detective working for the DEA, who also happens to be on Leo's trail. All three characters are instantly distinctive and I had no trouble identifying with all three of them. The OBC review didn't give too much away, and the Amazon blurb gave me a better idea of where the story was headed. I can say that the enthusiastic OBC review definitely made me more interested in this one. I was neither here nor there after reading the first ten pages, but now I'm a little intrigued. The sample had no errors, so it seems to be well edited. I will be reading the rest of this book, even though it's first ten pages had me feeling indifferent, the review makes me want to give it a go.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 3:57 pm by Bianka Walter.

ritah

Based on the cover and title, I would have sampled Busted out of curiosity for its content. I read the official review and then sampled the novel. I liked Gina's interaction with the man in the white suit - I thought it was cute how she tried to act nonchalant. I did not notice any obvious errors in the pages I read. I will be reading the rest of the book because I want to find out how Gina will continue to deal with her financial struggles, her dedication to her art, and also if she'll encounter the man in the white suit again.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 2:09 pm by ritah.

Mercelle

Judging by the cover, I wasn't keen on reading this book, but the OBC review convinced me otherwise when it mentioned that this is a story about a struggling artist who gets entangled with a drug dealer. When I read the first ten pages, I liked that although she wasn't living in the best of times, Gina remained optimistic that she would become successful. As I noticed no errors, I'll conclude that the text underwent professional editing, but I won't read the rest of the book because I didn't find the story appealing. As it is, there's nothing I would change about the bit I read.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 12:25 pm by Mercelle.

Heidi M Simone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this read. The cover reminds me too much of cozy mysteries, which I do not enjoy. I do like that the title is simple, however the genre and blurb do not interest me. Though there are positive customer and OBC ratings, these do not affect my opinion of the book. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be edited well. It was really sweet to read that Gina typically volunteers in feeding the homeless. This adds a sensitive and sweet side to her character, making her likable right from the beginning. However, I'm not a fan of how aggressive Miguel's perspective seems to be as he punched a potential buyer in the stomach while working out. Then, I started to lose interest in Bobby's perspective. I believe the switching so quickly from one character to the next is too much for me. Due to this and the fact that I don't like to read drug-related stories, I do not plan on buying and reading this book.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 10:00 am by Heidi M Simone.

a9436

The cover did not entice me to be honest, and I would never have guessed the genre from the picture, but the blurb and OBC review certainly drew me in! Gina, one of the protagonists, came across as very relatable from the review, and the first ten pages confirmed that notion completely; I was immediately hooked by the situations of the main characters, despite their personalities not yet being described in detail. For this reason, I will definitely finish the book, and aside from a couple of missing commas, there were no errors to discourage me from this goal.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 9:37 am by a9436.

Nelsy Mtsweni

I love the cover of the book, therefore, I would have chosen to read the book based on that. Having read the review and the sample, the book seemed even more interesting than the cover because apart from it being full of suspense, it is also seasoned with a bit of humor. The book involves Gina, who is a young artist, Bobby, a Drug Enforcement Administration agent, and Miguel, a criminal involved in illegal drug trading. Gina finds herself financially affected by the recession that occurred in California between 2008 and 2010. Luckily, she meets Miguel, who is rich since he is dealing drugs, and they form a relationship. I loved reading about their romantic interactions. I did not notice any editorial errors in the book. Thanks

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 9:02 am by Nelsy Mtsweni.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I do not think I would have read it. I usually read pure romance books. The title did not reveal anything about the book. Further, while the cover caught my attention, the only thing that it revealed was that the protagonist is a painter. It did not make me curious about the plot of the book. Having read the sample, the first thing that I noticed was the lack of chapter titles in the table of contents. I usually prefer having a glance at all the chapter titles to get an idea about the plot of the book. However, I found the language used simple and easy to follow. Further, I could connect with the protagonist Gina, and the plot held my attention. I managed to read the entire sample in a few minutes and was curious to know more. The book seems professionally edited. Since I liked the plot of the book, I think I will buy the book today.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 6:36 am by AA1495.

Cristina Chifane

I wouldn't have chosen this book without the first ten program simply because the title and cover are in a total contradiction. To my surprise, the Amazon blurb describes a suspenseful thriller and all 53 customer reviews give the novel 4 or 5 stars. Although there were no editing errors in the sample, I have decided not to read the book. I felt everything was too rushed and did not sound credible enough. The relationship between Gina and Jason develops much too quickly and looks superficial. It is as if Gina merely sleeps with a rich customer to get more of her paintings sold and thus, pay her rent. Even the conversations at the fancy party where she goes are awkward and clearly used to send a message on the legalization of medical drugs. Despite the highly praising OBC review, I do not think this is the kind of book I would like to read.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 2:58 am by Cristina Chifane.

jessinikkip

Had it not been for this program, I would not have sampled the book at all. The reviews from customers were positive, but the title didn't really draw me in. Also, I do not enjoy reading books that are about drug use, especially in young children. After sampling the book, my guess has not changed and I will not continue with the book. It was hard for me to make it through the sample with the references to childhood drug addiction, even in a novel like this. I also didn't like how the main character mentioned a twelve-year-old was high on cocaine because he was bouncing in place "as if on a trampoline". I feel like there needs to be so much more evidence that he's high, not just hyperactive or excited or trying to warm up in the cold. I felt like a bit more information like that could have greatly improved the story, but I still would not continue with it for my own personal reasons for reading about childhood drug addiction. Based on what I read, the book does seem professionally edited because I didn't notice any errors.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 2:24 am by jessinikkip.

ccrews0408

Based on the review, had I not read the first 10 pages, I would have read this book. It sounds amazing! I would, however, consider changing the cover. It's a bit deceiving. Now that I have read the first 10 pages, I will definitely read this book. Gina already has such a big heart and I'm hoping she can overcome her "dry spell." The book does seem to be professionally edited. I didn't notice any typos or grammatical errors and there was an official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 1:02 am by ccrews0408.

Mely918

I don't think I would have been particularly interested in this book from the cover art or title. However, both the sample and the official review changed my mind completely. I really like how the author pays careful attention to detail. It's very evident that she spent much of her time doing research prior to writing this book. I also like the premise of Gina, a struggling artist during the recession, meeting a charming man who turns out to be a drug dealer. Based on the review, all the characters, both heroes and villains, seem to be very well developed. I'm glad the author doesn't only focus on her main characters and neglect the villains or minor characters. The book seems professionally edited from the parts that I read. I did not catch any errors. While I would definitely like to read this book someday, I won't be buying it today. I simply have too much work at the moment to do so.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 12:35 am by Mely918.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book. The cover is very interesting. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I really like how there was a nice balance of light and heavy in the book. I also liked how the story started, and the main character Gina met the businessman within the context and setting of the world the author was writing the story in. The mention of drug use and homelessness brought the story to life. It was professionally edited. I did not read the official review but that did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2018, at 12:02 am by psychopathycathy.

Mary WhiteFace

My first impression of the cover was that it was a romance with a female artist protagonist. Although I couldn't figure out how "Busted" would fit as a title for a romance.

The title made more sense after reading the synopsis and customer reviews. While romance was woven into the story, the synopsis stated that "Sex and violence permeate the twists and turns of this cautionary tale about choosing one's friends well." It also made mention of extensive drug trafficking and law enforcement. This did not seem to be a scenario that I would enjoy. Without the First 10 program, I would not have wanted to sample this book.

Reading the first ten pages did pique my interest, but it did not change my mind. I found the narrative intriguing, and the characters were believable. I felt compassion for Gina as she made the difficult decision to stop serving meals to the homeless so that she could focus on her artwork to pay her rent. She really had a hard time with having to choose between following her desire to help, and the necessity of assuring that she didn't become one of the homeless herself. I liked that the author could stir my emotions about her character.

Even as much as I enjoyed the sample, I wasn't sure if I would like the whole book, as the synopsis did mention that there was a bit of violence, and I also don't usually enjoy crime stories very much. It was the Official OnlineBookClub review that actually changed my mind. It stressed the thoroughness of the character development, and that it seemed like "a game of strategy." The review did mention that there was violence, yet I got the impression that it wasn't the main feature.

The book seemed to be professionally edited. I have no suggestions for improvements. I will be reading this book.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 11:58 pm by Mary WhiteFace.

Fu Zaila

The cover and the first few pages are definitely misleading, because you simply cannot decipher that this book is meant to be a dark crime thriller. But I loved the first few pages so I'm willing to read more. Gina's character sounded really interesting and I loved here generosity as well as the depiction of her anxiety. There wasn't anything about the story I didn't like. The writing was immaculate but sounded more like a chicklit book. It seems to be professionally edited. I'd love to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 11:29 pm by Fu Zaila.

lavellan

I probably would have read the sample of Busted even if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. The Book of the Day review was positive and left me interested in the book. The book seemed like it was professionally edited and I did not notice any errors while reading. I related to Gina's struggles as an artist. I also thought that the author did a good job of creating a realistic reaction for Gina to Jason's offer. I would have liked to have learned more about Gina's background and personality. As a result of the book catching my attention, I will be reading the free copy I received.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 10:59 pm by lavellan.

va2016

The title of the book does not say much about the story. The cover is attractive. The Amazon summary of the book gives a great overview of the plot. In fact, it gives away most of what happens in the story excepting the ending. There are 59 Amazon customer reviews that give an average 5 out of 5 stars rating to the book, which is impressive. Since I liked the plot that is described in the Amazon summary, I would have chosen the book for sampling even if not for the First Ten program. As I sampled through the book, I found the narration to be well written and casual, which keeps me interested in reading the book further. Also, the first chapter ends with Gina getting invited to a party where she can connect with potential wealthy patrons, which gives the hope that something good is spinning for her, and the story would move forward well. As I found the writing style to be casual and straight forward, I am going to read this book in full to go through the story. I found the book to be professionally edited. I didn't find any grammatical or mechanical errors. What I liked most about the story is the plot and the writing style. There is nothing I could suggest in the way of improvement in the book. Although I found 2 OBC reviews for the book, my decision to read the book in full is based on my own sampling.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 10:52 pm by va2016.

revna01

The sample reading introduced me to Gina, a struggling painter in her twenties that volunteers at a soup kitchen in Orange County, CA. The drug and homeless crisis in the area is extensive, and her own financial struggles are mounting. The writing was smooth flowing and easy to read. I found no errors and can offer no suggestions on the first ten pages. I will say I think the author should rethink the cover illustration as it is not befitting the genre or subject. The Online Book Club review gave it four stars, praising the realistic characters and thrilling plot. Unfortunately, I am not interested in drugs or violence in my reading material, so will not be picking up this book.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 10:46 pm by revna01.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I think I would check this book out because it sounds like a really good book with crime, revenge, suspense and thriller. I generally like those genres. After reading the first ten pages, I didn't see any spelling or grammar errors. The book started out kind of slow for me, with descriptions of Gina and how she came to work at the soup kitchen but I am sure the action will pick up later on. I already empathized with Gina and think she is a very good person that is kind and generous and giving based on how she wants to give extra money to the homeless. I don't think I'll read the rest of the book though due to lack of time.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 9:44 pm by CrescentMoon.

LV2R

The cover of the book looks like a romance story about an artist. I wasn’t sure about reading the book just from the cover or the title. The Amazon Blurb mentions three characters by name: Gina, an artist, Miguel Lopez, a cocaine supplier, and Bobby Garcia, a DEA Special Agent. It has a bit of a spoiler when it mentioned that Bobby’s daughter overdosed on cocaine and made finding the criminal a personal matter for Bobby. The first ten pages do not include the Amazon Blurbs’ synopsis. The book opens with Gina volunteering at a soup kitchen. Gina, the striving, young artist meets Jason in the park, and he buys a painting from her and invites her to a party at his restaurant. She hopes to sell her art to people at the party. From reading the first ten pages, I would want to read more than ten pages to know if I wanted to read the book. I had no idea that the book was going to be about drugs and violence just from reading the first ten pages. The OBC review stated that the book is full of action, suspense, violence, drug usage, and a bit of romance. The review made me want to read the book because the book was well written and kept the reviewer hooked to the end. The book does seem to be well written, as I did not see any errors. I best liked the description of Gina, who is struggling as an artist and is trying to sell her artwork. I am not going to read this book at this time, because though I am sure it is an entertaining and well-written story, it is about drugs and violence. I do not particularly like the foul language that goes along with the criminal activities.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 9:02 pm by LV2R.

Seraphia Bunny Sparks

After reading a few pages of, Busted by Michele I. Khoury, I have decided that I will not be purchasing this book today. I will put this book on my to-be-read shelf. I am an avid reader of mystery, suspense and crime dramas and this book's storyline sounds intriguing. If I had not read a sample of this book, I would have picked it up. As I read the blurb for this book, my interest was piqued. Gina is a struggling artist on the fringes of being homeless when a good-looking man comes along and saves her from being destitute. She begins to fall for him only to learn he's a kingpin. I'm eager to learn what does she do in reaction to this news. While I feel that these two characters could carry the story, I like that the author gives me layers of the story as well. I find Gina to be a sympathetic character. I appreciate her caring attitude and kindness to the homeless. As the author touches on the state of the homeless, my heart breaks. I also feel for Gina as she is facing a similar fate with her lack of finances. Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review. The reviewer speaks positively of this story and helps pique my interest. The reviewer does say that this book is not a mystery novel. While this fact is disappointing, it does not lessen my interest. I will be putting this book on my to-be-read shelf.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 8:34 pm by Seraphia Bunny Sparks.

FictionLover

I would not have sampled this book based on the cover. It is too ambiguous for me to know what genre it is. The title could refer to anything, also. The Amazon description did not pull me in. A young girl with a drug dealer is a bit depressing for me. The OBC review was positive, but also turned me off because I don't want to read about a young woman who is involved with a criminal. Also the fact the this is not a mystery, made me think I would not like it. Reading it did not change my mind, more because I did not develop any empathy for Gina and disliked Miguel. I will not be reading this. . . . I didn't notice any grammatical or formatting errors. . . . I did like the description of Gina trying to sell her paintings, and I thought the author's depiction of Miguel in the gym was very realistic. . . . I don't know what could be improved. There wasn't anything that I really disliked, I just didn't seem to click with the California beach and gym settings. Just not interested.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 7:59 pm by FictionLover.

ladycraic

I would not have chosen to sample Busted by Michele I. Khoury, due to my disinterest in the cover and title. I love how straightforward the blurb was, and it made my decision much easier to make. I don't have an interest in reading books with sexual content and a moderate degree of violence like the blurb (and review) indicated. Hence, I formed a decision pretty early on. Still, I proceeded to read the first few pages. The story drew my interest from the get go. It wasn't hard to like Gina at all! Her heart for service reminded me of my own, and a few others in my life. Building that emotional connection with Gina wasn't something I expected so early on, which surprised me in a good way. I'm pretty sure I read more than ten pages...it was thrilling to know straight up that Miguel "Jason" Lopez was the bad guy and Gina, should she choose to be involved with him, was in major trouble. I'm all too curious to see how she fares in the end. In addition, I thought it was pretty cool how there are three main characters...three totally different POVs make for a fascinating time! Though I don't plan on reading the rest of this book, I'm impressed with what I've seen so far! This book seemed professionally edited and I didn't notice any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 6:59 pm by ladycraic.

Dolor

Without The First Ten program, I doubted if I would've chosen to read this book because of the illegal drug use issue that I have read on the official OBC review and the book blurb. The cover looks colorful and catchy. The title is thought-provoking. Reading the first ten pages made me admire the author's captivating narrations. Gina volunteered to serve dinner to the poor and homeless people. I felt sorry for Gina's last night of serving dinner to them because she herself needed to look for money in order to pay for her rent. None of her paintings was sold. She was almost arrested by the police for displaying her arts in Laguna Beach park. Their stories and concerns reminded me of the book, Food Bank Britain
by Ray Barron-Woolford. There was not a single error I spotted in the first ten pages. I don't have any improvement suggestion for this professionally-edited book.
I decided to read Busted because the first ten pages of the story sparked my interest. Busted by Michele I. Khoury is a suspenseful novel revolving around #Opioids which intertwined the paths of Gina McKenna (an artist), Miguel Lopez (a cocaine supplier), and Bobby Garcia (DEA Special Agent) in a tale involving drug usage, sex, violence, and skepticism.

#MedicalMarijuana #Cannabis #Crime

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 6:48 pm by Dolor.

kfwilson6

I'm very impressed and intrigued by Busted's high Amazon and OBC ratings. I really like the cover art, but really didn't expect such an intense story line with such a peaceful cover. Although I do really enjoy mysteries and romances, I tend to veer away from any that have plots involving drug dealers or heavy drug usage so prior to reading the sample, I did not intend to read Busted.
After reading the sample, I still feel the same. I am just not interested in following the story of a drug trafficker and the DEA agent attempting to bust him. I also don't care for what I think will be excessive foul language. Drug traffickers are always portrayed as being quite vulgar, and I don't want to read books that center around those types of characters. The first chapter was also quite off-putting with the inclusion of a 12-year-old cocaine user. The story line is just not for me. Busted does appear to be professionally edited. I did not notice any errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 5:11 pm by kfwilson6.

Yoli García

I would not have sampled this book without this program because I rarely read about drugs and I do not like the cover. The OBC review did not convince me to read this book because it is about drugs, violence, and a struggling artist. After I read the sample pages, I thought the book was professionally edited. I liked that Gina volunteers at a soup kitchen even though she is poor herself. I did not like that a twelve-year-old boy was a high on cocaine in a scene. The themes of this story are not for me, so I will not read this book.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 4:31 pm by Yoli García.

Allyseria

The book title and book cover did not attract me because it sounded like a romance fiction - a genre that I don't normally tend to read. When I read the blurb, it seemed that there were four main characters. I worried about whether the book would show four different perspectives, and therefore dilute the main storyline. The OnlineBookClub review didn't make it clear whether there were four perspectives either, so it didn't alleviate my worries. However, the review did give a high rating due to the characters being well-developed so I became a little interested in the story because I value character development highly. When I read the sample, Gina and the other minor characters seemed real. The way the author described them and their actions brought them to life. I loved that the book started with Gina volunteering at a soup kitchen. It was a great way to show Gina's personality. I also liked that Gina was a struggling artist. Her thoughts seemed real and the way she approached her dire situation was believable. In the sample, I can already see three perspectives, but they weren't as annoying as I had expected it to be. Overall, I will continue reading the book.
Note: The book had been professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 2:38 pm by Allyseria.

Sharill Rasowo

If I had not sampled the first ten pages, I would not have read the book because the cover made me think it would be a romance. The official OnlineBookClub review stated that it would involve crime specifically selling cocaine which also put me off. Reading the sample affirmed to me that I would not like to continue. The main character is in a vulnerable situation where she has no money to pay for rent or any other necessities, when she meets this rich handsome guy. She slowly starts falling in love when he keeps "rescuing" her. However, even from the start there were signs that he was not the person he portrayed that she chose to ignore. The most obvious ones to me is that she first meets him when he is engaging in a fight and his "friend" is partial to drugs and has a distinct distate for authority. She chooses to ignore the signs probably because she is in a desperate situation. I would not buy and read this book because it mirrors reality to closely for me. The book itself is wonderful but for me, its distinct realism puts me off. I did not spot any errors so I think it was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 2:13 pm by Sharill Rasowo.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I wouldn’t have read it. I'm not really into crime thrillers and the ones including DEA and narcotics have been hit and miss for me in the past. After reading the first ten pages I didn’t change my mind and therefore will not be buying and reading the rest of this book. From the sample, I liked some of the insights that the author was able to give early on into working under cover for DEA. I particularly appreciated that fact that large sums of money can be requisitioned in order to get the undercover agent closer to the source. I also find it interesting that they are bashing homeland security (as a national priority) for making things harder for the DEA to get funds. That being said, the sample didn't attract my attention enough to get me to read a book focused around a subject that really doesn't interest me. I didn’t see anything specific that I would have wanted to change within the sample that I read, but it did seem well written and edited. The official review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 2:07 pm by Scerakor.

cpru68

Gina is a volunteer at a homeless shelter working on a food line and wonders when she will be residing there as her money is dwindling. Almost like a miracle, she meets wealthy and handsome Jason who buys a painting from her and invites her to a party. Unknown to her, he has acquaintances who are dealing drugs and into illegal activities. Despite an inner voice warning her to not go too far in to a relationship, she ignores it and proceeds fully. I did not find any errors in punctuation, spelling or grammar in the portion I read so it would seem that this book is professionally edited. Even though the review was glowing, this book is a little too gritty for my tastes. I generally read non-fiction, and this one just doesn’t interest me enough to keep on reading. I was happy to have the opportunity through the book club, and I did send it out on my social media today so other readers can be aware of it.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 1:58 pm by cpru68.

sharkyjen998

Based on the cover, genre and blurb, I was not very interested in this book. The 2008 recession was a devastating period of time for so many people, and the wound is still too fresh for me to read a book about it. After reading the sample, I won’t be buying the whole book because it was too serious and emotional for my tastes. I didn’t notice any errors in the sample. My favorite part of the book was Gina’s description of the people visiting the soup kitchen. I have worked in one myself before, so I know the author’s description is very accurate. It’s heartbreaking to see. The author does a good job setting up the plot and encouraging the reader to read further to find out what Gina will do about her living situation. I didn’t read a review before writing this, but I don’t believe it impacted my overall decision.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 1:46 pm by sharkyjen998.

Azeline Arcenal

After reading the first ten pages, I decided to finish reading the book. The sample was pretty interesting and I was intrigued at why the man in white invited Gina to a party. I do like the book cover and title so if I were to sample the book based on just the cover and title, I probably would have chosen to sample it because they both look interesting. While reading the sample, I didn't notice any grammatical errors either. I also did not see an official OBC review for this book which would have been helpful in making a decision on whether I should read this book or not. There isn't anything I would change anything about this book.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 1:23 pm by Azeline Arcenal.

Kareka88

By the look of the cover, this would be one I would pick up and at the very least read a sample. The story seems very well written, and I did not notice any blatant errors. Each of the three main characters is introduced and developed before moving on to the next. There is a little romance, a little crime, and a little sex, amidst the world of drug trafficking. I liked Gina’s character. How she may get involved in both sides of the drug war would be interesting to follow. I feel for Agent Garcia in the double standards of government rules and regulations and having to do your job without the proper resources. In his case, a search warrant or a sufficient amount of money would have gone a long way. As my husband often says, “I cannot complete my task with the resources assigned. Either give me more resources or assign me to another task.” Miguel, to me, sounds just plain scary. After reading the official review on OnlineBookClub and the summary, I will not finish reading this book because both warn about the amount of sex and violence included.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 12:54 pm by Kareka88.

desantismt_17

I wasn’t sure what this book’s title meant. The description hooked me, despite the fact that I don’t often read suspense and thrillers. I wanted to know why a drug dealer could possibly think a starving artist is in his way. Before sampling, I was thinking about reading. After sampling, though, I think I’ll pass. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed only one error in the following sentence, where “offered” should be “offer:” “she’d collect her stepbrothers’ and stepsister’s old garments and toys and offered them to the homeless children.” The author does an excellent job of invoking emotion. The sadness and caring Gina has for the homeless feels real. On the flip side, though, the emotions felt told, rather than shown. There were also many instances of listing descriptors in groups of three or more. For example, when the suited man comes over, he’s described as follows: “he had copper-colored hair, brown eyes, a strong chin, and perfect teeth.” While this is grammatically correct, it feels a bit stilted. Perhaps a final edit to polish the flow of the writing might help. The OnlineBookClub.org review hooked my interest, as did the book’s description. Unfortunately, the writing just didn’t pull me in as much as I hoped.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 11:55 am by desantismt_17.

MsTri

Neither the title nor the cover for this book attracted me to it, and both the Amazon synopsis and OBC review (the only one I read) confirmed that it's not something I want to read. I'm just not interested in this book that is "filled with...drugs, suspense, and a little bit of romance". I also don't care for books about "friendship, love, and inner strength" (both descriptions by the reviewer). The sample read was just okay, but I was glad to see that it appears to be professionally edited. I did like the part where "White Suit" tricked the policeman about his purchase from Gina, and I have no suggestions for changes because it's written well for its genre.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 11:13 am by MsTri.

Laura Ungureanu

"Busted" is a crime thriller about a young bankrupted artist named Gina who meets Jason, a rich and handsome guy. She soon finds out there is more to him than his first impression. Miguel is a drug dealer and a mercenary. Special Agent Bobby Garcia is after him. They are both determined to fulfill their purpose. The book starts with Gina helping at a soup kitchen for homeless people. She tries to sell her paintings in the park, but a police officer forbids her. Jason comes and buys the painting from the cover, protecting her from the officer. I liked that the painting from the cover appears in the story. The writing is fast-paced. I would have picked this book up without the program because I like the plot. There is nothing I would change about what I read. I found no grammar mistakes. I won't continue reading the book because crime thrillers are not my thing.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 11:04 am by Laura Ungureanu.

OloladeO

Based on the cover and title, I would certainly go for it as I find it interesting. From the sample, Gina Mckenna volunteered at the Laguna Beach Soup Kitched where she served the less fortunate. She discovered they starved for more than food; they craved contact and connection. She had great compassion for them and was weary because she might join them soon, as she was barely making ends meet. She hadn't sold a painting in 2 months and had depleted her savings. Needing to devote her time and energy to art, she decided tonight was her last time serving. The writer's engaging writing style appeals to me and makes me want to read the whole book. The book seems professionally edited as I did not find any error in the bit that I read. The OBC reviewer gave it 4 stars which seals the deal of me adding this book to my want-to-read list.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 10:37 am by OloladeO.

lesler

Looking at the cover, I was not interested in this book, as there is nothing that piques my attention. Upon reading the sample, I loved it, and connected strongly with Gina, and want to continue reading. This book appears to be professionally edited, with no grammatical errors or typos that I noticed. I liked the main character Gina the most, and felt genuine concern for her as she struggles financially. I am worried she's becoming involved in a trafficking operation, and want to see her succeed. I did not like the sex scene in the opening of the book, the reference to one's penis as a "banana" almost turned me off enough to stop reading the book.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 9:43 am by lesler.

HRichards

I probably won't read the whole book considering I'm reading so many other things and the blurb doesn't really convince me that this is the type of book I like. Novels about the drug underworld aren't really my thing. The book is fairly well written, though I did notice a grammar error in the first ten pages where the author uses semicolons instead of a colon and then making a list of things ("last two months; she'd depleted..." etc). I did feel for Gina and her predicament in not even being allowed to sell her art on the beach, but there were a few things that lessened my enjoyment of the sample. I question the idea of having a ten-year-old cocaine user, which seems very far fetched. Also the author reuses the same word to describe things very closely together ("confidence" is used to describe a man several times on one page). I have not read any other reviews of this book.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 9:23 am by HRichards.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as I don't enjoy reading about drug trafficking. While the cover is nice and the blurb gives a good sense of the plot, neither appeal to me. I didn't change my mind after sampling the book. The book revolves around a down on her luck artist who has a crush on a drug kingpin. I liked Gina and saluted her for volunteering at the soup kitchen despite her lack of funds. However, I grew irritated by her nativity, whining, and her actions after she met the drug kingpin at the park. I didn't connect with her and didn't find her reliable. Her crush was too fast, and she should have found another job if she was that desperate. The book alternates between three main characters, and I liked the sections about Gina the best. I liked the writing, and I didn't notice any obvious errors. I won't read the book, as drug cartel stories aren't my cup of tea. The two official reviews further steered me away from the book by mentioning its lack of mystery, superficial character development, and preachy tone.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2018, at 9:02 am by gali.

Total ~ 43%

Busted earned a score of 43%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 43% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Busted