Cover for Kindred Journeys

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for Kindred Journeys

Because Kindred Journeys was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

Nuel Ukah

The cover page and title says a lot about the book, and that pulled me into reading the book. I'd buy and read the book to know how Martha survived her life journey. Reading the first ten pages didn't change my mind from my original guess.

I didn't notice any error. I really like the characters' accent. There's nothing to be improved in the bit I read. The book has an Official OnlineBookClub review with good details.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2019, at 4:11 am by Nuel Ukah.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Vickie Noel

I wouldn't have read this book outside the program. It's not aesthetically catchy to my eyes. Even though I enjoyed the story while reading the sample, I won't be reading further because I struggled a bit with the old English. For example, "I don't guess it would of made it to two hunert." The book was professionally edited though; I found no errors, and the author's tone is inviting. The OBC review painted a pretty interesting plot picture which had stimulated my interest in the book.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2019, at 3:43 am by Vickie Noel.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Cristina Chifane

I wouldn't have sampled this book without the first ten program thinking it was a romance. The title and cover are beautiful, though. The Amazon blurb as well as the editorial and customer reviews made me wonder about what happened to Martha and her twins. I loved the author's style in the sample. The description of Martha's condition is quite picturesque and, most of the time, very humorous. I couldn't find any editing errors and the dialect speech the characters use is wonderfully rendered. The OBC reviewer also praises both the plot and character development, so I'll definitely add this novel to my reading list.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2019, at 3:30 am by Cristina Chifane.

briellejee

Based on the cover and title, I think I wouldn't have sampled the book. I thought it was a non-fiction genre plus it may have themes I wouldn't like based on the official review. As for the first few pages, I was confused at first because of the way Martha spoke. Written in her perspective, the author failed to mention her citizenship and I had to come up with my own version. Anyways, chapter one is surely a good start as I wonder what would happen to Martha when she gives birth and who would help her. It is also good that her background of how she got into that situation was not mentioned at first as to give more mystery and will raise curiosity. However, I will not be buying the book. As far as the OBC review said and the first few pages, I didn't find anything that will make me want to go on. I found the plot a bit cliche and has heavy themes that I would like to avoid, although, Martha's character is interesting and is open for growth throughout the whole book. I usually like character-driven stories but I think I will pass on this one. I found no noticeable errors and the official OBC review was persuasive enough to tell me to sample it.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2019, at 3:28 am by briellejee.

Annelore Trujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb, OBC review, cover and title. The story of this woman having to give up her babies just seemed too heart wrenching for me, even if they do search for her after. After reading the first ten pages, I won’t be finishing this book. There was a lot of dialogue. Even when Martha was on her own, she was talking. I’m not a huge fan of this much dialogue in a book. I also thought the paragraph about Martha having to leave her panties behind was a little unnecessary for the story. I also noticed errors that said the book was not professionally edited. For example, there were quotations missing before “Your brother is expecting you, is he?” I don’t buy books with errors. There wasn’t anything I liked so far.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2019, at 2:36 am by Annelore Trujillo.

Kristy Khem

I was not interested in reading this book after I read the blurb. It seems like a sad, lonely story. Despite this, the reviews were positive and the cover and title were appealing. I read the sample and changed my mind. I liked how realistic the author made Martha's pregnancy, especially her tiredness, frustration, and the multiple times she needed to pee. Francesca, the nurse, was also a lively character whom I admired. She knew exactly what her patients needed, like Mr. Albasca. She encouraged him to remember his family by simply showing an interest in the pictures he had at his bedside table. The author also included that Francesca added a blue flower to her pink and white striped uniform. I liked that the author gave a physical detail about her so I could picture her in my mind. There were no errors that I spotted in the sample. I want to read this story because I enjoyed the sample, so I will buy and read it.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2019, at 1:16 am by Kristy Khem.

Kro92813

If I had not read the first ten pages, I would have picked up this book. The cover photo and title intrigued me. I did not read an OBC review, but that would not have swayed me one way or another.

After reading the first ten pages, I would be curious to see where this story goes. The book begins with the main female character walking along the side of the road because her car broke down. We soon find she is pregnant (well over 8 months) and noone wants to pick her up because she looks ready to "pop". Before long, she goes into labor. I liked the authors writing style most. I could really envision the characters. The book also seemed to be well edited, as I did not note any errors in the sample. There is nothing I would recommend improving at this time.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2019, at 12:40 am by Kro92813.

Lorraine De Vos

I would have chosen to sample this book based on the title and cover. The first ten pages were captivating. I quickly found myself invested in the characters. The author describes the scenes beautifully and did a magnificent job with creating empathy in the reader. I was rooting for Martha to make it over the hill and I was quite upset that people care more about their car upholstery than a fellow human in trouble! There is nothing I would change about this book. It appears to be professionally edited, and the official OnlineBookClub review would have prompted me to read this book had I not chosen to sample it. I will definitely be adding this book to my reading list.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 11:51 pm by Lorraine De Vos.

OliviaLouise

Based on the review, I didn’t think this book sounded very interesting. After reading the sample, I didn’t enjoy the book because it starts very slowly with the main character, pregnant and needing to make frequent stops to urinate, hitchhiking and walking slowly down a road after her Plymouth
breaks down. This section is so prolonged that I frequently lost interest in the plot and never felt that I understood what this story is really supposed to be about within the sample. I didn’t find any editing errors, but I probably won’t finish this book because it wasn’t interesting to me.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 11:04 pm by OliviaLouise.

Heidi M Simone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this book. The cover and title aren't eye-appealing for me, while the genre and blurb do not pique my interest. The positive OBC and customer ratings do not affect my opinion of the book. Based on what I read, the book could use another round of editing. In the first chapter, the line, "Your brother's expecting you, is he?'" is missing an opening quotation mark right before the word, "You". I like how the author decided to make the protagonist, Martha, eight months pregnant and sort of on a journey. It makes her first contraction exciting since going into labor will definitely make her journey more challenging. However, I'm not sure how I felt when the second chapter introduced Francesca and Mr. Albasca. I think I was more invested in Martha's pregnancy storyline than Francesca's "midlife crisis" one. Due to not being invested in Francesca storyline, I do not plan on buying and reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 10:58 pm by Heidi M Simone.

va2016

The cover and the title are not indicative of the theme of the book. There are only 4 Amazon customer reviews. The Amazon summary of the book does not sound very interesting. Based on the Amazon summary, I would have skipped sampling of the book if not for the First Ten program. As I sampled through the book, I found the narration describing Martha's car stopping and then she and her friends partying. As I am not interested in the story line, I am not going to read the book in full. I found the sample professionally edited. I didn't find any grammatical or mechanical errors. I didn't find anything specifically that I liked in the book. I do not have any suggestions for improvement. Although I found one OBC review of the book, my decision to not to read the book in full is based on my own sampling.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 10:01 pm by va2016.

Ekta Kumari

The book is centered on a woman, Martha, who got pregnant and starts a trip to find the father, who left town on knowing that she was pregnant. But when her car breaks down, she has no other option but to rely on hitchhiking to get her to her destination. In addition to that, she delivers her babies earlier than expected. The story details how she tells a series of lies to get herself around. Unfortunately, she also loses her kids in the process. Will she ever find them and the father is the central question. The book further alternates between time periods. Another story begins years later. The reader will eventually get to piece the puzzles together as the story progresses to find out how both of these stories are related to each other. Well, to be honest, I wouldn't have read the book as the storyline didn't entice me much. I did like the cover page, though it was not enough to make me want to check out the book. However, the book is quite well written. The first chapter starts with Martha's story that details the basic background. Subsequently, the second chapter shifts to a different time period. While it was, at first, confusing, it became clearer as I read the book. The thing I like the most is the use of dialect in this book. It engages you and portrays the spirit of the people portrayed in the story. As for the editing, I would rate the book as professionally edited. Though I liked reading the sample, I'll not read the whole book as I don't think I'll enjoy the entire story, and the genre is not something I'm interested in. There is an official review I saw for this book.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 9:34 pm by Ekta Kumari.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I would not have read this book. The book seemed too dramatic for me and it didn't sound like it had a lot of action to keep me engaged. After reading the first ten pages I didn't change my mind and therefore will not be buying and reading the rest of this book. I enjoyed the emotion and descriptive language that was behind the writing. In particular, I was touched and interested in the description behind the nickname of Spider. That being said, I don't really read books which are mostly family/situational dramas and this one didn't seem special enough for me to change my mind. I didn’t see anything specific that I would have wanted to change within the sample that I read and the book looked well written and edited. The official review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 8:02 pm by Scerakor.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read pure romance books. However, the cover seemed elegant and simple to me. Further, the book had a positive OBC review, which gave me a good impression. Having read the sample, the index caught my attention. The fact that the book had 57 chapters made it seem tiresome to read. Further, while there were chapter numbers, I would have also liked chapter titles. However, in terms of language, the book was easy to follow. Further, I thought that the author introduced Martha and Francesca's character well. In terms of formatting, while the lengths of paragraphs were not consistent, I liked how there was enough line spacing between paragraphs. Overall, the plot seems interesting and the book seems well written. However, since I do not read the genre normally, I might not buy the book today.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 4:52 pm by AA1495.

HRichards

I normally wouldn't have picked this book up considering the summary didn't look very interesting to me. Having read the sample I won't be continuing on with this book as the style and genre aren't really to my liking. The sample deals with Martha, who is pregnant and walking along the side of the road because her car has broken down. She is offered several rides but turns them down. The writing is fine and I didn't notice any grammar errors. Those who like dramatic books might like this book. I'm not really interested in this genre of book. I have not read any reviews for this book, OBC or otherwise.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 4:28 pm by HRichards.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I would not have picked up this book because I have heard of many stories of long-lost siblings. I really like the cover and title. The first ten pages seem well-edited. The beginning kept me on the edge of my seat as this heavily pregnant woman talks to strangers that could very well do her harm. Unfortunately, the overall plot is not interesting enough to make me want to read the rest. My one suggestion to the author would be to add something unique to the plot. I did not read any OBC review.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 3:58 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Mbrooks2518

The summary for this book was intriguing, so I would have read the sample even without The First Ten. I like Martha. She seems to be an entertaining and determined character despite the situation she's found herself in. However, from the official review, I don't think I would enjoy this book enough for me to buy it. I found no editing mistakes, and there is nothing that needs to be improved.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 12:41 pm by Mbrooks2518.

Juliana_Isabella

I wouldn't have chosen this book because I uaually prefer to read sci-fi or fantasy, but I liked the comments from the reviewer. I didn't find any grammatical errors in the first ten pages, and I loved the descriptions of Martha's feelings and the empty countryside. However, the plot progressed too slowly for me, and I was already losing interest by the time Martha found her first ride. Because of this, I won't finish the book.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 11:01 am by Juliana_Isabella.

desantismt_17

This book’s title and description didn’t really hook me. This just isn’t the kind of book I usually enjoy. Before sampling, I wasn’t interested in reading. After sampling, I’ll pass. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed no errors. The opening scene with “ole blue” dying set up some nice minor conflict in which to meet Martha. I felt her frustration but yet fondness for the car. The narrative actually started to draw me in more than I thought. It was the dialogue that turned me off. I don’t enjoy when a lot of the dialogue is in dialect. There’s nothing wrong with the style. It just isn’t something I prefer. For fans of the genre and this type of story, the opening leads me to believe this would be quite the enjoyable read. I have no improvements to suggest. I didn’t see an OnlineBookClub.org review, but I don’t think one would have changed my mind.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 10:45 am by desantismt_17.

Mary WhiteFace

Without the first ten program, I would not have been interested in reading a book about the struggles of a pregnant woman trying to find her baby's father. The basic premise did not sound like something I would enjoy.

The OnlineBookClub review showed that the story had depth and adventure. The unexpected twists and turns sparked my curiosity. Reading the first ten pages sealed the deal. Marjorie Tapley-Olsen is a talented author. The characters and the situations were believable. By the end of the sample I had an emotional connection to the outcome. I simply must know how things turn out for Martha.

One thing that really impacted me was how the couple didn't want to help a stranded, pregnant woman. They were more worried about what might happen to their upholstery than what might happen to the mother and baby if she gave birth on the side of the lonely, country road (location 128). Are there really people in the world who are that self-absorbed?

The book seemed to be professionally edited. I have no suggestions for improvements. The author's ability to bring the characters to life and pull the heart strings left me wanting more.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 9:39 am by Mary WhiteFace.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book as I really love the peaceful cover, and I also think the title is interesting. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I really liked how the parallel stories between Francesca and Martha are being told alternately, and I am intrigued particularly by Martha's story especially considering how her story started mid-scene. In the line "Could you tell me where I'd find Mill street?", however, I think street needs to be capitalized; perhaps more editing is needed. I did not read an official review but that did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 4:09 am by psychopathycathy.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up. It definitely sounds like a moving, heart-warming tale full of character development and character growth, but the genre really isn't for me. I'm more interested in action, suspense, and mystery type of stories. After reading the first ten pages, I spotted a few typos and errors. In chapter one, "'I don't guess it would of made it...'" it should be written as "would've" instead of "would of." Also in chapter one, "...she hadn't been feeling too good..." it should say she hadn't been feeling too well. I understand that the narrative is trying to give the reader the southern feel and southern accent related to these characters so I can understand how some of the words are purposely misspelled in order to give more of that southern flair. I think the author did a great job conveying the dialogue and characterization and I could easily imagine the setting with the car on the road and the hot sun, scenery, etc. Martha's thoughts were also quite entertaining. I already felt like I could relate to her as she drove her car and didn't know how to react with the red light blinking on the car warning her that the car needed to be fixed in some way. However, I wasn't hooked onto the storyline so I won't be reading the rest.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 12:49 am by CrescentMoon.

Lisa A Rayburn

If I had not been a member of this program, it is highly unlikely that the title, cover, author, or genre would have prompted me to pick up this book. Both the title and cover give it a vague feeling of a possible romance, probably a doomed one based on the female figure on the cover. Definitely not a genre I prefer. The author is unknown to me, so that did not affect my decision. The blurb, though sufficiently descriptive of the book, did not stir my interest overly much either. The very complimentary and positive customer reviews might have intrigued me enough to take a bit more of a look. Reading the sample was somewhat interesting. Martha is a fascinating character and well portrayed. It took little effort to relate to her. The plot, however, struck me as a bit pedestrian excepting the twist of having her hitchhike with two newborn babies in tow. That alone almost made me want to keep reading, just to find out what happens with the children...almost. In the end, however, the sample as a whole did not intrigue or engage me enough to have me want to finish the book. The book seemed well-edited. I found no errors in the first ten pages.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 12:48 am by Lisa A Rayburn.

LV2R

The book cover and title were both pleasant. I wanted to know more about the book. The Amazon blurb mentioned that there were two stories woven together across time and places. One story was about a woman giving birth to her babies earlier than expected. She leaves them with others one by one as she comes across trouble. Even though she intended to come back for them, she never did. The second story, years later, a cop and a nurse find out that they are related to one another and search for their mother. I was not sure about wanting to read the book or not. The book began with a pregnant Martha driving her car when the engine got too hot and she was stranded. She got a short lift near a house that she saw from a distance and got into the barn loft having contractions. Caroline ends up helping her give birth. There was also a glimpse of a Francesca, a nurse talking to Mr. Albasca, a patient. She has a son, Billy, and lost a son, Spider, to Marfan’s disease. I best liked that the two stories seemed to maybe have some kind of connection, but kept the reader guessing as to what that would be. The book seems to be edited well, as I did not notice any errors. The OBC review mentioned that the story was character-driven and that Martha told many lies, made reckless decisions, lost her kids, and even made the reader (reviewer) believe a lie about Martha. The reviewer made me want to know what the lie was. I do not want to read this book because I do not like the scenario of a pregnant girl running away from her family and trying to find the father, Farley, of her children to be born. The lies and outcomes of her bad decisions all spin out of control and she loses her babies. I think that it is too emotional and negative for me to want to read right now.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2019, at 12:00 am by LV2R.

Verna Coy

Had I not sampled this book through the First Ten program, I probably would not have picked it up for a second look because the cover design features a rather desolate location, and the story leans toward drama style-wise. For this reason, I don’t intend to buy and read the whole book today. Reading the first ten pages confirmed my first impressions that the book is dramatic. The plot-twists and turns for the main character are heart-wrenching in many ways. Based on what I read, this book seems professionally edited. I saw no errors in what I read. What I liked most about what I read was the way that many people stopped along the road and asked Martha if she needed assistance. As far as improvement, I could see no need for any in what I read. I did see the Official Online Book Club review and found it informative.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 11:31 pm by Verna Coy.

Washboard

This isn't a genre I normally pick up. The cover art is pretty, and the title is intriguing. The official review makes the book sound very well done. The sample I read only contained one error - some dropped start quotes in a line of dialogue. The first chapter introduces Martha, a heavily pregnant woman who is searching trying to get to the father of her child in Albuquerque, but is dealing with car trouble. It is interesting to read, but I am going to pass on this one. It isn't my normal type of book.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 11:01 pm by Washboard.

Jsovermyer

The muted tones of the cover art create a beautiful soft picture. The title, Kindred Journeys, is interesting and intriguing. Kindred Journeys is a character-driven drama in small-town America. When heavily-pregnant Martha's car breaks down, she finds herself going into labor and delivers twins. I liked the scene where the snooty couple didn't want to give her a ride in their new car because they are afraid she will have her baby there and get it dirty. She finally convinces them to give her a ride. After they let her out, she laughes to herself because she had peed a little on their backseat. I like the character of Francesca. She is a good mother and is trying to make something of herself. The official review rated this book highly, and I agree it is well-written. I found no grammatical or spelling errors and believe it has been professionally edited. I like the story so far. All of the characters are interesting snd well-developed. I would like to finish reading it.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 9:57 pm by Jsovermyer.

Chelsy Scherba

I like the story idea. Martha is very pregnant when her car breaks down. She ran away from home, so even though a couple stops, they don’t want to risk their new car upholstery and Martha doesn’t want to notify the police, so she tells them to take her down to a house instead. The book is well-written and described, which I really like. I also like that the dialog is written in dialect. The review was very positive and mentioned that the book has many character perspectives and they all connect somehow. That’s really interesting and I’m curious to find out what happens. The price is a little more than I want to pay right now, but I’ll keep this book on my list so I can get it when I have more to spare.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 8:48 pm by Chelsy Scherba.

Juliet+1

I couldn't tell anything from just the title and the cover of this book. Perhaps a travel guide? The blurb helped, and the OBC review helped even more. I thought that I might enjoy reading this book. I like character-driven novels, and the story of a woman losing and then perhaps finding her children years later sounded interesting.
I enjoyed the sample pages. Martha is truly engaging. I admire her talent for creating credible lies and her courage. Although she is the star, the other characters were intriguing also. They all felt very real. I definitely want to read the entire book.
"Kindred Journeys" is well written and well edited. It needs no improvement.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 7:49 pm by Juliet+1.

evraealtana

I wouldn't have chosen this book for myself, because the cover makes it look dreamy and romantic, not my cup of tea at all. However, after reading the first ten pages, I'm completely hooked. I loved Martha and her stubborn, "I'll manage just fine" attitude, as well as the drama of her unexpected birth. I wanted to hear more about the babies, since I got the feeling that Caroline was holding back something critically important. The official OBC review sealed the deal, since now that I know the children end up taken from her I have to know what happens to them and how Martha manages to get them back. I will definitely finish reading this book. I found the small font difficult to read on a screen, particularly since it was a narrow, serif font. Perhaps it would make for a better reading experience on paper? I noted two errors: on page 1, a who/whom confusion in "She wasn't sure who she'd call"; and, later, missing capitalization in "good lord".

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 7:36 pm by evraealtana.

Theresa Moffitt

I like the cover and the title of this book. It looks interesting and caught my attention right away. I would have picked this book up based on the cover alone. I haven’t read a review of this book yet. The first ten pages ten the story of Martha who is almost 8 months pregnant when she gets stranded on the road because her car breaks down. She doesn’t know how to fix it and tries to get a ride to the next town. I didn’t see any errors in the first ten pages so I believe the book was professionally edited. I wasn’t drawn into the story enough in the first ten pages to want to finish the book. However I will read a review and may change my mind based on that review. Based only on the first ten pages, I will not finish this book.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 7:36 pm by Theresa Moffitt.

AvidBibliophile

The product summary on Amazon seems summarily sufficient and intriguing, and the cover art is calmly soothing. I enjoyed the country twang implied in phrases like "waxed up real shiny." And while initially hard to fathom that a pair of motorists would deny assisting a stranded pregnant woman on account of the "new upholstery," I actually had to accept the likelihood of that being a legitimate possibility of reaction. I also found it nice how the perspective in the first 2 chapters switched between Martha and Francesca. This book does seem to have been professionally edited and well-structured. With only one published review by an OnlineBookClub.org user, added to the 4 ratings posted on Amazon, it is unfortunate there is not a larger sample size to glean information from, but I do believe the author has a gift for narrative prose and a talent for sharing dialogue and vivid details. Despite the misfortunate twists of fate and traveling catastrophes promised, I do not personally think that this particular storyline (of a runaway pregnant girl who must repeatedly lie to survive) will be my preferred reading pleasure, so I will not be continuing the book at this time.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 7:31 pm by AvidBibliophile.

cpru68

Readers are introduced to Martha who is eight months pregnant and traveling in Ol Blue, a car that has seen too many miles and breaks down. Her goal is to get to Albuquerque to find Farley the father of baby. He has skipped town once he found out she was expecting. A couple comes by as she is walking and trying to catch a ride. They are more concerned about their new car and upholstery than helping her. The woman in the car worries especially over Martha going into labor and ruining the interior of the car. They agree to drive her a few steps to a house that Martha says is her brother’s, but this is a lie.

I won’t be finishing this book. I was not interested in reading the story, and while the writing seemed professionally edited as I found no errors in punctuation, spelling or grammar, this story doesn’t interest me. I generally read non-fiction, and this one didn’t grab my attention and hold it.

I appreciate the opportunity to have read the sample pages and will send it out on my social media for others to look into. I probably wouldn’t have found this one on my own search without the online book club because this isn’t a genre I usually read. I wish this author the best of luck.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 6:49 pm by cpru68.

unamilagra

Before sampling this book, I may have picked it up. I normally don't enjoy reading dramas, but the OBC review's description of the characters made me more interested in it. In reading the first ten pages, I thought Martha seemed like an interesting character in quite a predicament, with the baby about to come. That said, nothing about the book really grabbed me and made me feel like I need to keep reading it. I don't think I will continue reading the book. I didn't notice any errors in the pages I read.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 5:04 pm by unamilagra.

Brenda Creech

I was intrigued by the title and cover, so I would have checked the book out before I read the review or the first ten pages. Martha's story is very intriguing. To travel alone, I assume, as a very young woman, while pregnant and meet with so many obstacles along the way, is fascinating. To have your twins in a barn loft, delivered by a mid-wife and then setting out hitch-hiking with infants in tow, is a little insane. I was intrigued by what I read, but not enough to continue reading the entire book. What I read was well-edited; I found no errors. I believe this book will be popular with fans of character-driven stories. What I read was interesting, but not enough to make me want to read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 5:00 pm by Brenda Creech.

Kaitlyn Canedy

I don't think that I would have read Kindred Journeys if the OnlineBookClub did not present it to me. The cover had me questioning what kind of book it was, so I turned to the Official OnlineBookClub Review to get more information. Once I read that, I was motivated to read the sample. I really liked the character Martha; she seems like a fiercely independent single mom. Martha has gone through a lot, and she has many supporting characters to help get her through her journey. I did not see anything that I disliked, nor can I think of any improvements. I will say that I am not going to purchase and read this book because I do not feel that the story can relate to me personally (I have no kids). I am proud to say that I did not see any noticeable grammar errors in the sample. I believe that single moms will enjoy reading this novel!

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 4:44 pm by Kaitlyn Canedy.

Emy Katherine

The story follows the adventures and misadventures of a pregnant woman named Martha, who is determined to find the father of her babies to convince him to marry her. Unfortunately, after giving birth, things go horribly wrong for her. I do not read adult novels revolving around family drama, so I would not have read the book without The First Ten program. Neither the title nor the Amazon blurb piqued my interest. I did not change my mind after reading the sample and OBC review. The story was told from multiple perspectives by using a descriptive, engaging writing style. The dialogues were also realistic, making the story more believable and entertaining. Unfortunately, I do not think the book was professionally edited; I found several distracting punctuation errors such as missing quotation marks and missing commas. For example, there should be a comma before "and" in the following sentence: "We can load the buggy in the truck right after we get fed and I’ll take you on down.” (location 489 of 533 • 92%) Also, there should be a closing quotation mark before "Martha" in the following sentence: "'He’s your husband now? Martha asked mildly..." (location 501 of 533 • 94%)

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 4:14 pm by Emy Katherine.

gen_g

I have come across a positive review of this book, and it has roused my interest. There are a few errors present. At 5% in the sample, there is a missing comma before the conjunction to separate 2 independent clauses: "...same direction(,) so she wouldn't...". I would suggest that the author send the book for editing again. I like that the author has taken the care to describe the surroundings, as well as the protagonist herself (Martha) – this makes me more likely to immerse myself in the book. I also like how the author has the protagonist describe her stomach not feeling well as having a "cannonball between her legs...[which would] pop out and go thudding down the road". It's quite humorous. However, I will not be purchasing the book today, as I'm not currently in the market for romance/travel fiction.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 3:52 pm by gen_g.

Laura Ungureanu

My first reaction was to cast away this book because I thought it was Christian fiction based on the cover and the title. The review convinced me to give it a chance. The book begins with Martha leaving the broken blue car behind. She starts hitchhiking, but the first car refuses to take her to the next town because she looks like she's going to give birth any minute. I didn't notice any grammar issues. It's a touching story of love, family, and destiny. However, the sample didn't win me over. The first pages don't present the story behind Martha's tragedy, which is a detail I would've liked to be included sooner in the book. I won't continue reading this book, but I admire the emotional impact that it has on its readers.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 3:38 pm by Laura Ungureanu.

MsH2k

I would have read the blurb and sampled this book even if I had not been part of this program. I enjoy character-driven novels. The writing was vivid, and the sample pages went by quickly, although the plot seemed like it would move slowly. I didn’t notice any grammatical errors in the sample pages. I don’t like that she is separated from her children, but I will read it to see if they reconcile. The official OnlineBookClub review confirmed my impression of the book, but otherwise had no bearing on my decision to buy it.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 3:23 pm by MsH2k.

Kajori Sheryl Paul

'Kindred Journeys' is a book written by Marjorie Tapley- Olson. The title, cover, OBC review, and Amazon review did a good job at convincing me to give this book a try.

The sample of the book leads me to believe that it is the story of Martha. Martha is heavily pregnant and she is driving an old car to catch up with the father of her children, Farley. Her car breaks down in the middle of the road. Also, she is afraid of her father catching up with her. I like the premise. I found some errors. It should be “tea kettle" instead of “teakettle". I do not think that it is professionally edited. I will give this book a try as I like reading books of this genre.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 1:57 pm by Kajori Sheryl Paul.

Nikolas Farmakis

I would have sampled, but not read, this book even if it was not for the program, as I am intrigued by the book cover and the title. I will not read this book and reading the first ten pages did not change my opinion. I will not read this book, as it seemed boring, unengaging and monotonous, thus I would not be able to finish this book. The book was generally professionally edited, but I encountered an instance where the word 'speedometer' was written, whilst from the context, I think 'milometer' was meant. What I liked most about this book was the suspense created by the plot, such as with techniques like cliffhangers. To improve this book, the author must make the plot more engaging, as I found it cliche, spicing the story up with more intrigue. The book has an Offical OnlineBookClub review, but this did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 1:37 pm by Nikolas Farmakis.

spluficvictory

This book has an interesting premise. A good character-driven story with good sense of humor. I didn't notice any grammatical errors or typos so this book seems to be well edited.

If I hadn't read the editorial review, I doubt I would have read the book if I saw it anywhere because of the book title. I became interested when I read the official review, and further sampled a few pages. What I like most about the book is the way the author was able to switch between different characters and still maintain the plot. Martha I also an interesting character, and I would like to know more about her. So, I I'll be purchasing the book to read.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 1:35 pm by spluficvictory.

wordslinger42

Judging from the sample, Kindred Journeys promises to be a book worth reading. I was slightly skeptical based on the genre and title but was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The characters are distinctive and very well-developed, and the author gives readers just enough hints about the characters' lives that they are eager to learn more. I immediately felt a connection to the characters, and I will buy this book. I did notice a couple of errors. One example is in Chapter One, where it says, "Don just got this car, all new velvet-gray upholstery, not a spot on it," The woman said." The word "The" should be lower case. The errors I did find were minor and did not distract from the story itself. Aside from the mistakes, I don't think there is anything about the story that could be improved, and I look forward to reading it. I did see a review of the book, which gave it four out of four stars, further convincing me to buy it.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 12:02 pm by wordslinger42.

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda

From the cover, I wouldn't have chosen to read this book. It's not catchy enough for me and I don't think it conveys what the story is about. The blurb, however, captured my attention so I'd still be in the fence about this novel if I hadn't read the first ten pages and the official review. I will read this book. I like that the story springs right into the action and I like the attention to details, like accents depicted in the dialogues. The book does seem professionally edited, the "mistakes" I found were in dialogues and intentional to convey a certain accent. The book has an official review and it helped to convince me to read the book because it mentions not only the attention to character development but twists, turns, and an unreliable narrator. What I think should be improved is the cover.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2019, at 11:36 am by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda.

Total ~ 33%

Kindred Journeys earned a score of 33%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 33% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Kindred Journeys