Cover for Apollo's Raven

The First Ten Feedback for Apollo's Raven

Because Apollo's Raven was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

gali

I may have sampled the book on my own as I love the genre. The cover is awesome and the blurb sure grabbed my attention. The sample started well enough, with Catrin entering the raven's mind to check on some warships she noticed offshore. The book seems well written, but one dialogue had me scratched my head. Catrin told her sister she saw something offshore that concerned her and her sister's response ("what ships?") didn't make any sense. Apart from that, I didn't notice any major errors. The premise sounds interesting, though the ability of the heroine isn't that original. I didn't see any official review, but I understand this is just the first book of the series and not a stand-alone. I won't read the book right now as my reading list is full, nor do I have the time to invest in yet another series.

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 10:47 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

ZenaLei7

After reading the first ten pages, I want to finish reading the book. I thought that the sample was interesting because it was the kind of book that I like reading. I didn't see any major grammatical errors either.

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 11:08 am by ZenaLei7.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

ananya92

This is the first book in the series, and from the sample the story seems very promising. The book looks at various themes be it political, mystical, or mythological. It also has elements of historical romantic fiction. So many diverse plot points make it interesting, like the tussle between the Roman overlords and Celtic tribes. There is also a story of star-crossed lovers intertwined in this plot. I did not come across any review for this book so i cannot judge how riveting it might prove to be but from the description its seems quite an action packed, historical fantasy. The book seems to be edited properly, and the sample was reasonably interesting. The only issue for me is that the book is quite long, and currently I'm not up for reading lengthy books, hence I'll skip this one.

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 11:59 am by ananya92.

va2016

From the few pages of sampling of the book, this book sounds like wars and battles, and the mysterious powers of Raven. I am not able to make progress with the reading as the narration is complex to read. Also, this genre is not my typical interest, so I am skipping this book.

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 12:34 pm by va2016.

Vermont Reviews

Awesome is the word that comes to my mind as I read the preview of today's book of the day by Linnea Tanner. Apollo's Raven the Celtic tale of love and war. When Marrock the banished son arrives with a Roman army to challenge his father's kingdom and authority things get shaken up. Catrin the youngest meets Marcellus and young love is about to bloom. I loved the preview and added this one to my reading list.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 12:44 pm by Vermont Reviews.

MarisaRose

After reading the blurb about 'Apollo's Raven,' I was immediately excited to sample this book. I love the setting and the Celtic history the blurb promotes. That being said, I would have considered buying this book without sampling first, but I would have liked to read an OBC review to solidify my confidence in the writing and story. After reading the beginning of the book, I was not disappointed! The writing is fluid and lacks errors. The author does a great job setting the scene from the very first page, and I found myself wanting to know more about the Princess which we are introduced to early on. I do wish there was on OBC review, just to know someone else's overall opinion of the book. But I am still interesting in this book and will look forward to reading more. I plan to buy this book and read it in the near future.

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 1:17 pm by MarisaRose.

James Craft

I already got my copy of this book. The cover is amazing, and even though the bird doesn't really match up perfectly with what might be expected it certainly grabs attention. The opening pages were clean and very easy to read and this is one I'm looking forward to checking out. The fact that it has some great reviews on Amazon is another huge bump in its favor, so I can't wait to see what else is in store later in the book.

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 1:30 pm by James Craft.

Scerakor

From the cover and description of this book alone I was on the fence with this one. I like a good historical fiction and don't mind fantasy as well. After reading the first ten pages, I think I finally decided that I would not buy and read the rest of this book. It seemed very well written and edited, but I simply wasn't interested in the characters enough. I don't really enjoy coming of age type stories mixed in with a magical premise. I did like, in the first ten pages, how several different conflicts were set up very quickly. The one between the princess and her father over magic, the jealousy (my interpretation) of the princess with her sister, and the incoming war/battle/conflict arising around the half-brother. The lack of (that I could find) an OBC review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 1:42 pm by Scerakor.

CataclysmicKnight

I love fantasy, and both the title and cover of this one intrigued me. The use of magic so far is done very well, and already a dark antagonist has reared his deformed face. I'm definitely hooked on this one!

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 2:02 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

micoleon13

I loved the cover of this book and this by itself would have made me want to look further into reading it. The writing immediately set the scene of the magical aspect as well as introducing the main character, which I liked. It had very good reviews on Amazon, which would contribute to me wanting to read this book. There didn't seem to be any editorial mistakes apparent. I would like to read this book in the future, but would not be able to right now. I have no ideas for improvements

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 2:43 pm by micoleon13.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I like the cover of this book and the plot piqued my interest. I would have liked to read an online book club review. After reading the first ten pages of this book, I can say that it is well-written and well-edited. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to read it now.

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 4:34 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Kdonegan91

The cover is beautiful and the title is unique and intriguing. I read the sample and decided this book is not for me. I do not enjoy this genre and the writing style was hard to follow. Therefore, I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 5:11 pm by Kdonegan91.

CrescentMoon

I love the eye-catching cover of this book. It's so beautiful and makes me want to pick up this book and read it. After reading the blurb, I definitely have to say that I find this type of story fun and exciting. I love the genres which include fantasy, adventure, romance, but I've read some books recently just like this. I'm really not in the mood to read another type of historical fantasy book like this because I'm into something different for right now. But I'm sure fans of these genres would love this book.

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 5:18 pm by CrescentMoon.

Miche Sora

The title caught my eye, but I didn't realize the book was in the fantasy genre until I read the sample. The writing style is immediately engaging, and I can't wait to read the rest of the book. I need more Druids in my fiction, especially while waiting for the last Iron Druid book to come out.

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 5:41 pm by Miche Sora.

Christina O Phillips

The title, cover, and summary were all interesting to me. I feel like I am missing something from where the story opens, but I found myself wanting to know more about Catrin, her raven, and whether or not she would become a Druid. The opening of the story had things that interest me: gods, ravens, druids. I want to keep reading to know more about the world the story is in and what happens to Catrin.

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 6:20 pm by Christina O Phillips.

classicaltwist

My first impression is a good one. The story seems interesting based on the blurb and the reviews are good. The cover is nice, which is something I've always been critical about, because I've noticed that the Kindle books that I've read and that have been terrible usually have no effort thrown into the covers.

The sample was good. The writing seemed like it was professionally edited and I did enjoy what I read. That being said, while this isn't a genre I dislike, it is not a genre I read too often. I will not be purchasing the book today, but I will definitely be adding it to my to-read list for a rainy day in the future.

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 7:23 pm by classicaltwist.

Mollymae

What an exciting sample. It was an intriguing opening. I will definitely want to read the book in entirety. The cover is pleasing and the title appropriate.

First Ten review added on June 6, 2017, at 7:28 pm by Mollymae.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. It does not seem like my cup of tea, genre-wise. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I thought the writing style was clear and fluent, but the setting and genre still does not quite seem like my kind of book. There was no official review, but I think one may have helped me understand more about what the plot was about and see a perspective from someone who had already read it.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2017, at 2:39 am by psychopathycathy.

Kitkat3

I really like the cover and the title. The blurb makes me interested in the book, and it has received good reviews, so it is very likely that I would have sampled this book without this program. From the first ten pages, I would say that the book has been professionally edited. I will be reading the rest of the book. The fact that there is no OnlineBookClub review for this yet makes it a little harder to know if I will enjoy the book or not. Since I really enjoyed the sample, I will give it a try anyways.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2017, at 2:39 am by Kitkat3.

Gravy

I may have looked at this. The genre appeals to me, and I like the cover and title.
I noticed one error. An incorrect word form.
I enjoyed the author's style and I liked the main character. I might have added this to my list, if it weren't quite so long. I may come back to it at a later date, but for now I must say no.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2017, at 9:32 am by Gravy.

Jaime Lync

Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner is an intriguing historical fiction novel that I definitely plan to completely read. The story begins in 24 AD in the Southeast Coast of Britannica when Catrin, youngest daughter of the King of Cantiaci, sees warships landing on the coast. Catrin does not actually see them with her physical eyes but through 'her Raven's eyes' using druid magic. This story seems to be one of magic, love, betrayal, and war. The book cover did not attract me that much but I am glad the First Ten program prompted me to sample the book.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2017, at 5:16 pm by Jaime Lync.

bookowlie

I found the summary blurb a little hard to follow due to the long-winded and busy explanation of the plot. It does, however, appear to be edited well with no grammatical or spelling errors. The cover artwork is attractive with a nice font used for the title and author's name. The beginning pages didn't grab me, due to the subject matter and wordy writing style. Based on the summary and sample pages, I am not planning to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2017, at 10:47 pm by bookowlie.

CarrieMe

Based on the cover, blurb, and reviews, I wouldn't read this book. The reviews seem positive, but I found the blurb to be confusing. The cover is fine, but not particularly memorable or special. After reading the sample, I don't plan to buy or read this book. The writing seems pretty good so far, much better than I had assumed based on the blurb. But, I have a lot to read right now and there wasn't anything about the sample that really inspired me to go on. Plus, I can't seem to shake the negative impression the blurb gave me. The book does seem professionally edited and I didn't notice any errors.

First Ten review added on June 7, 2017, at 11:43 pm by CarrieMe.

jungkookblog

I think I will be reading this book because I really enjoyed Greek Mythology, and Apollo was one of the most interesting characters. I would like to see this in a story. I will be reading this book because I really liked how it related to Apollo and it had a lot of details which helped the reader read through it more smoothly. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review but I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2017, at 1:28 am by jungkookblog.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book without this program based on the title, cover, blurb, and genre. I don't like historical fiction for the most part. The time period of this book didn't really catch my interest. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying this book. The story isn't for me, and neither is the time period. When it started talking about warships, I knew it wasn't the book for me. The description was good, and it did seem to be professionally edited. I just wasn't interested. Also, I don't usually buy books that don't have an OBC review.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2017, at 1:42 am by anneloretrujillo.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I liked how the characters' thoughts were expressed. However, I found the writing style a little formal. I did not come across any grammatical errors. The book does not have an official onlinebookclub review and the absence of one might have affected my decision. Since I do not read the genre usually, I will not be reading the book further.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2017, at 2:00 am by AA1495.

L_Therese

As I encountered this book, I was impressed by the cover and curious about the genre designation. I wondered if it would be more mythological or more historical. I don't typically gravitate towards books that heavily rely on magic for plot or world-building, so I was hoping to find a more historical fiction-type of book when I read the sample. Unfortunately for me, the book seems to be heavily magical even from the very beginning. I don't plan to continue reading this one.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2017, at 2:31 am by L_Therese.

Cjgarland89

Based on the cover and genre of this book I'm not particularly interested in reading it. Historical fiction isn't usually something I'm drawn to. Although the battles between roman and celtics was an interesting time period. After sampling my opinion has not changed, mainly because I felt a bit confused as to what was going on at the beginning. Nevertheless it was an ok first ten, but I won't be finishing the book. I didn't see any errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2017, at 7:19 am by Cjgarland89.

hsimone

The cover is beautiful and very inviting, while the title is appealing. I love fantasy, as well as historical fiction. Therefore, even without this program, I would have sampled this read. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I really like the connection that Princess Catrin has with her raven. It's unique and captivating. At this point, I am interested in Catrin and the warships approaching. Therefore, I do plan on purchasing and finishing this read.

First Ten review added on June 8, 2017, at 7:47 am by hsimone.

Izesicle

Based on the cover, genre and reviews, I would have chosen to sample the book, just to check out the writing. I did not see any typos or grammar errors in the sample I read. The sample had a good mix of action and setting description to keep the plot lively. I will not read the book simply because the fantasy genre is not my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on July 26, 2017, at 2:05 pm by Izesicle.

DDunstock

Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner is a fantasy novel about sorcery and mythology, and weaves in romance as well. While I typically read books of this genre, I found the blub on this book to be confusing and too detailed. Based on the blurb, I probably would not read this book. The reviews are excellent, but my first impression is heavily influenced by the blurb as well as the cover, which I don't find particularly compelling.
After reading the first ten pages, it is evident that the writing and editing are very good. However, I still do not feel intrigued by the story. I feel a bit overwhelmed with the amount of detail packed into the first ten pages and feel like this story would be better with a slow unravel of the plot.

First Ten review added on July 26, 2017, at 2:09 pm by DDunstock.

Snowflake

This book looks and sounds like an interesting read so I would likely have sampled this book without the first ten pages program. I enjoyed the first ten pages. The characters were clear and easy to understand and the story was well set up. I did not notice any obvious typos or grammar errors. I like stories with strong female characters and also ones with magic. I am not as big a fan of reading stories set so far in the past. I do not plan to read this book any further at this time. It does seem to be an excellent book within its genre though.

First Ten review added on July 26, 2017, at 5:30 pm by Snowflake.

BunnySTx

After reading the first ten pages of, Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner, I will be purchasing this book and reading it. Before reading the first ten pages of this book, I was intrigued by the cover. The blurb for this story was also very interesting, and it has several positive reviews. What I like so far in this story, is how the girl has a connection to the raven and can utilize that. Based on what I have read so far this book does appear to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review, and the review encouraged me more to purchase this book.

First Ten review added on July 26, 2017, at 5:50 pm by BunnySTx.

Lennycat

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as a part of this program, I probably would still choose to read this book. I read the Official Review on OnlineBookClub.org and it was very positive. I also saw that this book has won a couple of awards and the book cover is interesting. I liked that Catrin has an affinity with ravens. After reading the first ten pages or so, I would definitely choose to read this book. I didn't find any grammatical or technical errors and the story was gripping. I felt the tension when Catrin finds that her brother Marrock is returning. The only thing I didn't like was the little blurb at the beginning of the chapter. It spoils the story a bit for me. Overall, very nice! Looking forward to reading this one.

First Ten review added on July 26, 2017, at 6:26 pm by Lennycat.

Naval Aulakh

Apollo's Raven is an amazing fantasy mixed with romance. After reading it's review on OnlineBookClub, I decided to read the sample available on Amazon,which I really enjoyed. It is a beautiful combination of mystery, love and thrill. I don't really believe in omens, but, this concept is nicely depicted in this book.

The book is well formatted. I did not find any grammatical errors and spelling mistakes in the sample that I have read. The plot of this book has hooked me and I would like to read the entire book.

First Ten review added on July 26, 2017, at 11:49 pm by Naval Aulakh.

dhomespot

I would have purchased this book without reading the first ten pages based on the blurb. I love books like this. I did not see any errors and this seems to be a professionally edited book. The official review made me want this book that much more.

First Ten review added on July 27, 2017, at 12:53 am by dhomespot.

Momlovesbooks

The cover and title caught my attention, but the review drew me in. I enjoy Celtic stories. The sample was well-written and made me want to keep reading. I downloaded the book and look froward to continuing it.

First Ten review added on July 27, 2017, at 5:30 pm by Momlovesbooks.

ButterscotchCherrie

I would have chosen to read or sample this book based on the editorial review because the ancient world in which the story is set appealed to me. I am going to buy and read the whole book because the first ten pages launch straight into the action and set up a sense of danger. The language is clear and I did not notice any errors in the first ten pages, so the impression is that this was professionally edited. I liked the heroine's decision to meld her mind with the raven's and the tension preceding that. The language is clear but somewhat plain; texture could be added if it were more adventurous. I did see an official Online Bookclub review.

First Ten review added on July 28, 2017, at 7:41 am by ButterscotchCherrie.

busycat

I wouldn't have considered reading this book just from seeing it advertised or talked about. The book cover was vague and it didn't look like my kind of thing. I read the official Online Book Club review and felt it did influence me to take a second look at the book. After reading the sample, I was impressed by the fantastic writing. It's a professional, crafted book with a creative storyline. The writing won me over to consider reading a genre I don't normally try. But I probably wouldn't actually buy it because it's out of my comfort zone. I might pick it up on a free promotion and that says a lot for the author.

First Ten review added on July 28, 2017, at 12:45 pm by busycat.

Mercy Bolo

Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner is a historical fiction novel. Form the pages I have sampled, I can see that the story is well written and I haven't encountered any errors. I like that the first chapter focuses on the raven but the content of this book is not one I am crazy about. For this reason, I will not read it. It is more suitable for lovers of mythology and science fiction.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2017, at 11:07 am by Mercy Bolo.

Kat Kennedy

Apollo’s Raven begins with wonderful descriptive narrative. I like the story from the beginning with its elements of magic and the hint of trouble to come. It seems there will be a strong female character, which is a plus. There are no editorial problems with the book in the first ten pages. I will be reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2017, at 11:07 am by Kat Kennedy.

Ashley Simon

The cover and title didn’t pique my interest. The OBC review was interesting, but it confirmed my feelings that this is not up my alley genre-wise. I was intrigued by the conversation between Catrina and the raven. However, I still didn't feel that this was my kind of book and don't plan to finish it. The book seemed professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2017, at 4:00 pm by Ashley Simon.

ritah

I had already sampled the book; what pulled me in was the genre, title, and cover. Once I read the sample and official review, I decided I would read the rest of the book because it captured my imagination and interest. I loved how from the very beginning the plot grabs your attention, I also like the themes present in the book. Which is why I chose to review it as well ( still in progress). As far as I've read, the book appears to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2017, at 6:34 pm by ritah.

Afuglsan

The cover is beautiful, and the title is intriguing.I love the fact that the book is fiction. The reviews promised shifting and magic as well. The historical aspect concerns me. I'm not huge on history. So far the reading is a bit boring but still intriguing. Because of this, I think I'll keep reading the book. I didn't spot any errors.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2017, at 11:39 pm by Afuglsan.

Quinto

I have become acquainted with the novel "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner through reading the official OnlineBookClub review by virtue of it being the BOTD. However, upon reading the first twenty-four pages, it gave me an experience that goes beyond any achieved from reading any review. For one thing, the plot starts on a heightened note with King Amren's estranged son, Marrock, coming back home to Britannia with the ruling emperor's Roman soldiers on tow, hoping to extract some concessions from his father. This chance meeting later turns bloody risking an all-out war.

This gripping tale so far, had me on the seat's edge and could easily be what I liked most about the book. Furthermore, the book appears to be professionally edited and I didn't come across any typos or grammar errors or anything that needs improvement for that matter. Consequently, I have put the book in my books to read list.

First Ten review added on November 9, 2017, at 2:52 am by Quinto.

ReviewerDiksha

The cover js pretty but not intriguing enough to catch my interest. It was after I read the official OBC review that I had an intetest developed in it. I love reading historical books and this one has a "fantasy" take on it. The story is engaging right from the start and I look forward to finishing it.

First Ten review added on November 9, 2017, at 3:06 am by ReviewerDiksha.

Mallory Whitaker

I've been meaning to read this book for a while thanks to all of the wonderful reviews I've read for it on this site. I was very excited when I saw we got the entire book for free. Everything about it appeals to me, but especially the genre and blurb. The cover is a little cheesy looking, the title looks like a preset "word effect" from MS word. But it's not too bad. I really enjoyed reading the first ten pages. It's beautifully written; descriptive but not overly so. love the quotes underneath the chapter titles. Most of all, I love that the dialogue doesn't seem too modern, but it's not overly complicated just to try and sound old - it's just the right mix. I can't really think of anything I disliked and it seems professionally edited. I'll be reading more!

First Ten review added on November 9, 2017, at 4:06 am by Mallory Whitaker.

Shelle

I think this was BOTD or BOTM a while back and I grabbed it then. I liked it then and would recommend it now. The main character is strong and fleshed-out and the story moves along nicely. This book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on November 9, 2017, at 12:46 pm by Shelle.

klbradley

I like the idea that the story contains an ancient curse, and also that it takes place during the times of the Celtics and Romans. It seems like an interesting read, however, I was somewhat turned off by the mentioning by the reviewer of the spoilers contained within the beginning of each chapter. I feel like spoilers always disturb the excitement aspect of novels, and is something I would always avoid when looking for something new to read.

First Ten review added on November 9, 2017, at 3:00 pm by klbradley.

IsabelMay

I had mixed feelings about the book after looking at its cover, I wasn't sure what to expect. Even though I'm a fan of this genre, I wasn't impressed by the summary either because I had to read it a couple of times to understand what the book is about. It is packed with information, character names and relations which are mostly unnecessary and confusing at first. However, I was hooked to the story from the moment I started reading the sample. A down-to-earth protagonist, likeable supporting characters and intriguing plot twists were enough to convince me to read the rest of the book. Longer chapters would be more enjoyable to read, but that's a minor detail. Judging by the reviews, it will be a quick and entertaining read.

First Ten review added on November 9, 2017, at 4:13 pm by IsabelMay.

jwalker73

I would not expect to enjoy this book as it is not a genre I prefer. This said, I am quite taken with the cover. The blurb and review did not persuade my desire to read this novel due to the the presence of druids and shape shifting. The first ten were descriptively written and I loved the way Catrin's connection with the raven was portrayed. I did not detect any errors. While this has not made this to my want to read list due to genre, I may consider it in the future if I want to give this type of novel another try.

First Ten review added on November 9, 2017, at 5:00 pm by jwalker73.

Gingerbo0ks

I've read a few reviews on OBC for this book, but nothing really persuades me to read it, so if it wasn't for first ten I probably wouldn't of tried it. I was surprised how nice the writing was. The description is good and the idea of druids and omens is interesting with a hint of magic. I was expecting a more sombre historical feel.
The blurb on Amazon isn't the strongest, it doesn't read very well and doesn't grip you.
The plot doesn't really stand out as anything original and I'm not looking for another series so probably won't continue reading this one, but the sample didn't change my decision.

First Ten review added on November 9, 2017, at 5:30 pm by Gingerbo0ks.

Vickie Noel

I find the tale epic and intriguing. I love mysterious books and stories about the supernatural, so a book talking about a person's ability to do something out of the ordinary would definitely pique my interest any day any time. The OBC review threw more light on the plot and I was drawn to the mythological aspect. The sample proved that the story was beautifully written even though there were just a handful of errors. This can easily be taken care of with a little more editing. I liked the dilemma Catrin felt as she develops feelings for Marcellus, wondering how it would rub off on her family. I would like to read up the book.

First Ten review added on November 9, 2017, at 9:17 pm by Vickie Noel.

ZeroChill

When I hadn't sampled the first pages I thought the book would be not that much interesting or intriguing, but when I read the sample I was proved wrong. The cover if the book is very simple and plain, it should be improved. What changed my mind was the starting of the book, how the writer gripped me from the start and made me read a little more than the first 10 pages. The book was professionally edited. The official review was there and I read it, but I didn't make any decision of whether I would read the book or not. Only after reading the first ten pages I decided to read the full book.

First Ten review added on November 9, 2017, at 10:07 pm by ZeroChill.

K_Robinson

After sampling the first ten pages of Apollo's Raven, I would be interested in reading the rest of this book. I had seen many positive reviews prior to sampling the book and had been drawn in by the book's cover every time I had scrolled passed it. Originally I wasn't sure if this book would be one for me (based on the genre and description), but actually sampling the book has changed my mind. The first chapter immediately grabbed my attention when Catrin, a main character, takes over the mind of a raven. I feel this story has a lot of potential and could take the reader on quite an adventure!

This book appears to have been professionally edited as I had not noticed any grammatical errors during my sampling. I do not have any suggestions on improvements to the book at this time.

I look forward to taking the adventure through Apollo's Raven soon and writing a full review once finished!

First Ten review added on November 9, 2017, at 11:17 pm by K_Robinson.

Angela Stripes

Based on the cover and blurb, I would have passed Apollo's Raven by. Neither seemed professionally edited. The blurb especially felt choppy and blocky as well as heavy-handed with mystery. Some mystery is good, but it felt forced and turned me away rather than spiked my curiosity. The start of the story actually happens before most of the plot laid out in the blurb. I think if the blurb focused on the early events of the book, it would help lure the reader in. I plan to continue the book based on the first ten pages, though. The connection Catrin shares with her raven really intrigues me. The first chapter gave me scene, character, and three different types of conflict right off the bat. Well done

First Ten review added on November 10, 2017, at 12:57 am by Angela Stripes.

truebookaddict

I would have chosen to read this book outside of this program because I love historical fiction. I'm particularly fond of this era in history. Reading the first ten pages has convinced me that I will indeed read the whole book eventually. The rich storytelling shines through from the start and conflict presents itself in the first chapter which is ideal. Also, I must mention the gorgeous cover. This is definitely a case of the perfect cover for drawing the reader in...to a story that almost exactly matches. Better still, the editing seems professional. I was pleased to find no spelling or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on November 10, 2017, at 2:02 am by truebookaddict.

bb587

I'm currently already reading this book to review. I was drawn to the cover and concept. I love that it takes place during Roman history. Catrin is a strong, female character with druidic powers that her father forbids her to use. I love that she finds excuses to use them anyway. I decided to read the book without sampling the first ten pages based on the synopsis. The review makes it sound like I made a good choice. Now that I've started reading, I very much want to read more since it is so well-written. So far, I haven't found anything I would have liked to change in the book. I haven't found any mistakes so far, leading me to believe this was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 1, 2018, at 8:52 am by bb587.

cpru68

Catrin, the main character, has come to discover that she can meld herself mentally with a raven who helps her to see. In the opening pages, she uses this to her advantage to get a better view of ships that were arriving on the shores of her father’s kingdom. Once leaving her body behind, she is able to see that her brother Marrock has landed with Roman soldiers. It would seem from her reaction to seeing him that he has done something terrible and she knows her father will want to know this news immediately. She ends up back in her body as her sister Mor stands over her. Catrin tried to hide the fact that she has used magic as her father has told her not to. That is the part of the plot I like as it sets up conflict. While she is using the ability for good, she is struggling with trying to honor her father’s wishes. Mor tries to dismiss Catrin’s warning that they must go to their father with this news. Mor’s character seems to be more focused on her love interest Belinus who is supposedly training them in weapons. I thought the beginning of this novel was well done because in a few pages, the tension was set and the writing was descriptive and paced nicely. I did not find any errors in the portion I read indicating that this book has been professionally proofread. The only thing I did notice in the sample (I couldn’t stop reading at 10 pages only) was that in Chapter 5 and 6, the titles are not capitalized fully. “Warrior” in chapter five and “Celtic Rescuer” in six look to be lowercase. I will be reading this one to the end because I have found it quite intriguing after reading the full sample and the review. This is not my normal genre, so being a part of the book club and reading the sample and the review helped me make the decision to give this one a go.

First Ten review added on September 1, 2018, at 10:54 am by cpru68.

LV2R

I like the book cover and the title; both of them reflect an earlier time in history, though fictional. The Amazon Blurb gave a good synopsis of the book and I wanted to read the sample before deciding to read the whole book. The book is well edited and is easy to follow. I didn’t notice any errors. The first ten pages introduce the main characters well and set up for the story. I best like Princess Catrin, who from the beginning has an ability to see through her animal guide, a Raven. She was able to see her half-brother, Marrock, with Roman soldiers coming from the sea and landing. She senses danger and wants to warn her father, the king. I want to read and find out what happens. The OBC review was very thorough and mentioned the forbidden love of Catrin and Marcellus, Marrock’s revenge, and the mystical adventure this story offers.

First Ten review added on September 1, 2018, at 10:55 am by LV2R.

lesler

Had I just looked at the cover, I would have chosen to not read this book, as it does not interest me. Upon sampling the book, I did not like it, and choose to not read the rest of the book. This historical fantasy with the Kings and Queens is too much garbage for me. This book appears to be professionally edited, with no grammatical errors or typos. I liked the main character development of Catrin, who I think is more fierce than any of the men she has to deal with. If I kept reading, it would be to see how Catrin does. I did not like the vivid imagery provided when the soldiers made animal sacrifices-the pulling out of the sheep intestines was too much for me.

First Ten review added on September 1, 2018, at 11:31 am by lesler.

Sahani Nimandra

Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner is a historical fiction read that revolves around a princess who's about to bring change to everyone in her clan. The cover illustration is really great, better than the old version. It really has a medieval touch in it. The official OBC review was descriptive and interesting. There was a map illustration available about the setting of this plot which helps to improve the reader's visualization. The start of the story revolves around Princess Catrin and how she fell in to her current situation. The story takes us back to 24 AD, Southern Coast of Britannia. There weren't any hindrances while reading. This read wasn't successful in cementing my interest towards it therefore, I won't continue reading this further.

First Ten review added on September 1, 2018, at 11:59 am by Sahani Nimandra.

Laura Bach

"Apollo's Raven" is a book based on Celtic and Roman mythology. Celtic Princess Catrin falls in love with the enemy. The book starts with Catrin, who saw warships coming. She used her ability to see through her raven's eyes, even if her father forbidden her. She saw her half-brother, Marrock, and she was wondering why he had an army with him. The writing was fresh, I enjoyed what I read and wouldn't change anything. It is not what I expected, and I am glad to say it is better than I thought. The cover is interesting. I would have tried the book without this program. There were no grammar mistakes. I want to further read this book because I am fascinated by Celtic mythology, and I would like to see how the love story turns out.

First Ten review added on September 1, 2018, at 1:19 pm by Laura Bach.

desantismt_17

This book’s title made me curious. I enjoy books dealing with mythology, and Apollo made it sound like this might. The description didn’t hook my interest as much as I thought, but it still sounded interesting. Before sampling, I was considering reading. After sampling, I’ll give this a try. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed no errors. I felt immersed in the world of the story from the first sentences. The raven lends a magical sense to everything. The horses and ships bring me back in time. Catrin seeing through the raven’s eyes and being one with the bird comes across so strongly, especially that she sees things that her human eyes wouldn’t. I want to know more about what happens. I have no improvements to suggest. The OnlineBookClub.org review I saw was very positive. I look forward to reading.

First Ten review added on September 1, 2018, at 2:28 pm by desantismt_17.

lavellan

I probably would have read the sample of Apollo's Raven even if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. The Book of the Day review was positive and left me interested in the book. The book seemed like it was professionally edited and I did not notice any errors while reading. I enjoyed Catrin's powers and her ability to meld minds with the raven. I would have liked it if more information about Catrin's half-brother was included. I going to select this book to review and finish the rest of it.

First Ten review added on September 1, 2018, at 2:45 pm by lavellan.

Julie Green

I would not have chosen to read this book based on the cover; the soft image makes me think it will be too much of a frothy romance. However, having read the opening pages, I will now plan to read the book. I like the writing style; there are some good descriptive passages. For example, I like the description of Catrin connecting with the raven when she feels the beating of its chest. I also like the connection between Catrin and Marcellus as she saves his life, and look forward to reading about their relationship developing. I did not spot any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on September 1, 2018, at 2:46 pm by Julie Green.

Tiny_Turtle

I found the cover and title intriguing. According to the synopsis and the customer reviews "Apollo's Raven" is the king's daughter, Catrin. She and the Blood Wolf, her half-brother, were cursed by the king's former queen, a powerful Druid, to destroy her father, King Amren.

To make matters even more complicated, she is in love with her father's enemy, Marcellus. In order to break the curse, Catrin must call on ancient Druid magic. I am drawn towards any narrative that is about the Druids. Even without the First 10 program, I would be interested in reading this book.

Reading the first ten pages did not change my mind. I was immediately captivated by the story. I really liked the part where Catrin had found that she could see through the eyes of her spirit animal, the Raven. I didn't like her father saying that he had made it against the law for his family to use Druid magic (location 80). Although, having that conflict in the narrative will make for an interesting twist.

I believe the book to be professionally edited. I have no suggestions for improvements. There was an Official OnlineBookClub review, but I had not read it before I made my decision. I will be reading this book.

First Ten review added on September 1, 2018, at 4:15 pm by Tiny_Turtle.

FictionLover

I would not have sampled this book based on the cover or the title. I do read some historical fiction, but this looks like a medieval fantasy or sword & sorcery type fantasy which I don't read. The onlinebookclub review put a lot of emphasis on the political intrigue and the historical accuracy of the book and that made it more interesting to me. The Amazon description makes it clear that there is a big romance component in it, and I don't like romance. The sample, while very well written and engaging, also had the romantic elements which I dislike most of all: a woman who is insulted by a man one moment, only to be attracted by him the next. So, I will not be readings this book. . . . The book seemed professionally edited. I didn't notice any spelling or grammatical errors. . . . I liked the author's attention to detail, the scarlet trimmed toga, the torc around the king's neck, the queen's pelt. I also liked the ritual with the Druidess. . . . I don't think anything can be improved. This seemed like a solid piece, just not the type of book I read. The only real question I had was why did Catrin and Belinus and Mor even bother to go looking for the Roman soldiers? That whole scene seemed like a waste since the King already knew they were there.

First Ten review added on September 1, 2018, at 7:05 pm by FictionLover.

Allyseria

The book cover and title did not attract me. However, when I read the blurb and reviews, I thought that I might enjoy it because it sounded like it was a mix of Game of Thrones and Romeo and Juliet.

While I was reading Chapter 1, I was unsure about whether or not I wanted to keep reading. It was felt odd and scripted whenever Catrin talked to her raven. And Catrin kept referring to something that happened before, that made me wonder whether or not this was a second book in a series. I had to go back and check to make sure that this was the first book.

However, when I got to the end of Chapter 1, I was engaged. I was excited to read more about Marrock.

A few of things that I didn't like about the book were the the inconsistencies. Firstly, Catrin referred to Belinus as a common soldier. Afterwards, she referred to him as a renowned warrior. This gave me a completely different image and impression of him which affected how I initially felt about him.

Secondly, when Catrin first met Marcellus, she was angry that Marcellus looked at her with licentious eyes, but then she somehow liked him almost immediately afterwards since she gave him a shy smile, blushed, and felt her heart pound.

The King was also an annoying character. How could he reprimand his daughter harshly for doing something right, and yet do nothing when his guards acted severely out of turn by shouting and holding a knife to a senator's son?

Finally, I wish that we only had Catrin's perspective. I found myself almost bored while reading Marcellus' point of view because I was eager to return back to Catrin. It also takes out the mystery of trying to guess Marcellus' true motives.

I will continue reading the rest of the book because I'm interested in reading more about Marrock. His character and side of the story is what convinced me to give this book a further read.

First Ten review added on September 1, 2018, at 7:31 pm by Allyseria.

Dolor

Even without The First Ten program, I would've chosen to read this book because this is the genre I usually like. The cover looks good, and the blurb and the official OBC review are captivating. Reading the first ten pages which I found error-free made me admire the author's proficiency. The story started with Princess Catrin studying the pattern of her raven’s flight on a cliff in Southeast Coast of Britannia in 24 AD. She was seeking an omen. I have no improvement suggestion and I'll read the whole story. Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner is an enthralling #HistoricalFantasy book that is perfectly blended with forbidden love,  mythological #Adventure, and political intrigue.

#Celtic #Roman #Myths #Legends

First Ten review added on September 1, 2018, at 7:31 pm by Dolor.

sharkyjen998

Based on the cover, genre, and reviews, I was very excited to read this book! The mythological aspects coupled with the “forbidden” love story sounds like something I would really enjoy. After reading the first ten pages, I will be buying the book. I’m really interested in this Raven power, and the rivalry with the main character’s step-brother. I didn’t notice any errors. My favorite part of the book was the description of the vision from the Raven’s mind. I did read a review before writing this, and the review made me really excited to read the book.

First Ten review added on September 1, 2018, at 7:47 pm by sharkyjen998.

SABRADLEY

After reading the Online Book Club review, I felt that this book had a lot to offer. It has history, action, changing perspectives, and even romance. The cover art looks like a romance novel, which I think is an odd choice for historical fiction. The first ten pages had no errors and was written really well. The author uses a great vocabulary and paints a complete picture. I did notice there was an almost immediate mention of sexual activity between Catrin's sister and the knight sent to train them in weapons. Catrin has a raven for a spirit guide that she has the ability to see through its eyes. She uses this gift to check out the goings-on of a ship that she sees below. I have heard that this book contains mature sexual content and I'm glad to know that in advance, as I don't like gratuitous sexual content in my reading. Unfortunately, for that reason I will not be reading this book beyond the first ten pages.

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 12:11 am by SABRADLEY.

ladycraic

I would have chosen to sample Apollo’s Raven apart from First Ten, due to the vibrant, visibly appealing cover. It gave me “fantasy” vibes, and I love a good fantasy book. The blurb was intense — and for that, I was excited to read the first few pages. I can’t even begin to imagine being put into the position Catrin finds herself in, and learning that the former queen destined her to kill her own father. I so wanted to be there when she (hopefully) broke the curse! I was a bit skeptical about the romance aspect since I don’t want to deal with any mature content. However, seeing as the official OBC review, mentioned nothing of that nature, I don’t have any concerns! The first few pages were interesting - I loved the scenery, the bond that Catrin shared with the Raven, and the engaging writing style. I was interested in the story from the get-go, and reading further only seemed to draw me further into the story. I’m all for the journey Catrin is about to enter. I also think the “forbidden love” is a nice aspect of the story and I’m excited to see how loyalty to family is handled! I plan on reading the rest! This book seemed professionally edited and I didn’t notice any grammatical errors!

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 1:29 am by ladycraic.

bruin

I was not interested in reading the sample of this book based on the cover. I assumed it was a historical story based on the male's clothing and the title made me think that it was a fantasy story as well. I don't enjoy reading these types of books. After reading the official review, I was pleasantly surprised that it is filled with very interesting story lines and characters! I became interested in finding out what happens with the gladiator and the king's daughter.
I do not plan to purchase the book because I don't want to keep a copy, but I would read a free copy. It appears to be professionally edited and the writing style flows very well. I was hesitant to read the sample, but found myself immediately engaged with the characters as they were introduced. The review definitely had a positive influence on my decision to read the sample.

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 2:08 am by bruin.

Cher432

If I had not read the sample I probably would not have read the book because I do not usually like books about fighting for a throne. I will not buy and read the book as the sample confirmed to me that this was not the type of book I liked. This has more to do with the genre than the content of the book itself. From what I read, the book seemed professionally edited as I did not see any grammatical errors. What I liked about the book was how we were put right into the middle of the story. From the very beginning, we are informed that Catrin has powers and that war is imminent when she sees ships on the horizon. I did not like her immediate infatuation with the Roman Marcellus. This seemed very odd to me as the stakes were very high. Why would she risk defying her father just because she likes the Roman, who she has never met before. It was extremely weird, as words of war were being bandied about that she was having a crush on the enemy. The book has an official OnlineBookClub review that I saw. The review I read did not change my mind but made me convinced that this was not my type of book.

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 3:11 am by Cher432.

britt13

I did not read the official review of this book but I saw that the average ratings were pretty good. This is not my typical genera, but I was still excited to see what it had to offer. I actually really enjoyed the first ten pages. The Raven really interested me, especially the connection it had to the Princess. I also liked Tanner's use of simile and color imagery. I found no grammatical errors and the formatting was great! I am going to put this book on a list to buy later because I actually was really drawn into the story!

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 5:16 am by britt13.

MsTri

I actually preferred the previous cover over this one, but the title is nice enough. Still, upon reading the Amazon synopsis and OBC review (the only one I read), I knew that this isn't the book for me; as much as I like the idea of all the strong female characters, I'm just not into historical fantasy, especially with forbidden love involved. I also had difficulty getting through the sample since I wasn't interested in the content. Still, it was nice to see that it seems professionally edited, and I have no suggestions for changes since it is well written for its genre. If I had to like a part, it was the scene where Catrin saw through the raven's eyes and saw the ships and Marrock.

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 9:44 am by MsTri.

Sicily Joy

The cover, description and official review would have a convinced me to read the sample because I like stories that use historical mythology. After the reading the first ten pages, I will be buying and reading this book eventually. The reason, I want to finish the book was because of the mythology, magic elements, and family drama. The part I liked best is when Catrin is seeing through her animal guide's ( the raven) eyes. I enjoy characters that can shapeshift as it is a useful and fun power. I also like the family drama and action because it moves the story along quickly. Catrin's dad doesn't want her to use magic, her sister is having a secret love affair and half-brother is with the enemies. All that along with having to prepare for a battle with the Romans made the sample a page-turning, action-packed read. There was nothing that I thought needed improving. I found no errors and I assume it was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 11:29 am by Sicily Joy.

Fuzaila

I love historical fiction and everybody at OBC seems to love this book, so I was interested when I heard of it. After reading the sample and experiencing the gorgeous writing first-hand, I'm interested even more. I liked Catrin's narrative and the description of the Raven. I also look forward to seeing the relationship between Catrin and her sister Mor develop deeper. There weren't any mistakes in the writing, which means it was professionally edited. There wasn't anything I disliked.

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 11:47 am by Fuzaila.

KRay93

The illustration of the cover is very appropriate for the historical/fantastic theme that the blurb proposes, although the typography and the location of the title could have used a little extra work. The official review speaks of an engaging story full of revelations and strong female characters. The first ten pages open with the protagonist using her magical ability to see through the eyes of an animal (in this case, her raven) and confirming her fears about an imminent invasion. Then, she tries to warn the rest of her kingdom about this coming danger. The prose is fluid and very appropriate for the genre, while the editing work looks acceptable at first sight. The tone of the fantasy setting and the way of dealing with the historical period in question certainly catch my attention, so I will continue reading this book.

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 2:27 pm by KRay93.

Bianka Walter

The return of Marrock is shrouded with mystery in the sample of this book. I like that the first ten pages gave me a bit of everything. There was a bit of romance (with Mor and Belinus), a bit of the supernatural with the raven's sight, and some action with the foreseen battle. I think the sample was very well written and I found no errors. I may have sampled this book without the first ten program because I am a big fan of Greek mythology, and the name Apollo drew me in. I see after reading the sample and the OBC review that there is no mythological tie-in. This is a historical fiction/romance, which I tend to not enjoy. Even though the sample was interesting, it's not something that grabbed my attention enough to want to read further.

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 3:38 pm by Bianka Walter.

JuliaKay

I think the cover for this book is okay. It does look interesting, but any time I see a female and a male with his chest showing, I think "erotica." So others may get the same impression. I would also question what time period the colors that they are wearing were first used in fabrics. As a fan of Greek and Roman mythology, I do like the title, and it makes me curious. The blurb and reviews for this book are favorable, and the combination of mythology and historical fiction is one that I like. I would have chosen to sample this book even without this program. Princess Catrin had a dream, or perhaps a premonition, that she was worried might be a bad omen. From the shore of Britiannia, she sees a number of ships and wonders if they are warships. She has a Raven, a spirit guide, and she is able to connect with it and see the present and future through its eyes. She wanted to be a Druidess, but her father would not allow it. From the Raven, she is able to confirm that the ships are there to attack and when she connects with the raven, she sees that he half-brother is alive and has returned with an army. Catrin tells her sister Mor all of this, and she does not believe at first. The first ten pages of this book show a promising story that I would want to read more of. The characters seem to have depth and are likable, and I do enjoy the magic. I did not notice any technical errors in the first ten pages, and it seems that this book has been professionally edited. I do plan on reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 4:38 pm by JuliaKay.

Momiji1987

I really love that the book is set in Scotland. Catrin’s druidic powers are intriguing, particularly her ability to see through the eyes of her raven. I’m curious to see what the Romans and her half-brother plan to do once their ships land. I believe the reviewer mentioned this book has a forbidden love story with the enemy, which is interesting. I’m definitely considering reading the rest. The book is professionally edited and I didn’t notice any errors. I love the cover image and the descriptive writing style. I love historical fiction, so I would certainly be attracted to this book based on that fact alone. I enjoyed the sample, so I’ll add this book to my list.

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 5:36 pm by Momiji1987.

Kendra M Parker

I love a good fantasy, and one that is based in a genuine historical time period sounds like it will be fantastic. I read the official review and fell in love with the idea on this one very quickly. As I read the first ten pages, I found some inconsistency with how the author used the name or title of the raven, but other than that, it was cleanly edited. I’m looking forward to seeing how the arrival of the Marrock will drive the story with Catrin. I’m definitely reading this one, partly because it is the book of the month.

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 9:19 pm by Kendra M Parker.

briellejee

Based on the title and the cover, I think I would have sampled this book. The cover screams adventure with its bright colors but also gives a hint of mysteriousness. The title on the other hand, screams Greek mythology basis, which piqued my interest. Apollo is such an interesting character for me and I think I was interested in how he fits in story. Having sampled the book, Catryn's character stood out for me. She seems to be indecisive on what path to take. She wants to use her power of foresight but also not quite ready to disobey her father. I am looking forward to her character development. The built up of the plot is interesting, especially when it was menrioned that Catryn's sibling has come back with army ships in their land. Though I am really interested in finishing the book, I find it hard to concentrate to the story with the author's style of writing. There seems to a lot of things happening all at once. Maybe I am not just a fan of such style, because the story seems to be really good. It bothered me that the descriptions and side-stories happening in one scene or being described by one character are scattered that made it hard to process everything. With that, it would make the reader uninterested without even reaching the second chapter. Thus, I will not be finishing the book. I would recommend to build up more suspense or action in the beginning, or something that would take the interest of the reader and not be able to let it go. I found no noticeable errors and the official OBC review helped me in giving some insights on what to expect with the book.

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 9:59 pm by briellejee.

kfwilson6

Ancient Romans, a curse, magic, forbidden love, and battle among family for the rights to a throne sound like a great fantasy combination to me. The OBC review made this sound like quite the historical tale so I really wanted to read it after checking out the review and synopsis.
I greatly enjoyed the sample. So much happens in just the first couple of chapters that it easily captured my interest: Catrin disobeys her father and joins with the raven, Mor's love affair is exposed to the reader, Marrock shows up, and King Amren finds out he was double-crossed by another ruler he recently made a truce with. I love how quickly the action gets started, and the book appears to be professionally edited with no noticeable errors. Hopefully the remainder of the book is just as action-packed as I plan on finishing it.

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 10:26 pm by kfwilson6.

SamSim

Prior to sampling the book, I liked the cover and the title. The blurb made me lose some interest, though. I love historical fiction and it's a bonus if there's a good love story involved, but the blurb just sounded like an ancient celtic, mystical soap opera. There seems to be far more drama than I care for and I don't like the supernatural aspect - it's just not my thing. There are over 50 reviews, but they are strangely mixed. The positive ones call it a page-turner, but the negative ones are discouraging. I guess we'll see. On the first page of the first chapter, "strange looking" should be hyphenated. There should be a comma between "gold" and "braided." "Purple-trim" should be "purple-trimmed." I do definitely think this is professionally edited. It reads smoothly and is a lot less hokey than I initially expected. I'm still not into the whole druidess-with-a-spirit-guide thing, but her melding with the raven was actually more interestingly written than I thought it would be. I could do without the allusions to sex, although I appreciate that nothing was graphic, at least in the first 10 pages. I do love her name: Catrin. It struck me that the sequences where she "inhabits" the raven and sees through its eyes would be really cool in a video game. I don't know if that's pertinent, but it occurred to me while I was reading, so I'm just being thorough. This feels over the top to me. For example: "his thick coppery hair draped over his shoulders like a lustrous wolf pelt." This just sounds ridiculous to me and I involuntarily rolled my eyes. I find the book difficult to take seriously, personally, but it isn't writing or editing quality. It's simply that the tone or vibe isn't something I would choose. I mildly want to know why Marrock was banished, but not nearly enough to bother downloading the book, especially when it isn't free. I'll pass on this one.

First Ten review added on September 2, 2018, at 11:46 pm by SamSim.

OloladeO

The title and cover look well done so I'll definitely take a peak. From the sample, Princess Catrin is seen on her horse and she reflects on the dream that was plaguing her where the moon was skull-faced and bleeding crimson. She had a raven which is her animal guide and through its eyes, she had the ability to see the present and future. Her desire was to be a Druidess but her father denied her request as he had decreed that no one in his family can use the powers of the Ancient Druids. I like the story line and a fan of an ancient set up so I'll like to read the whole book. The book seems professionally edited as I did not find any error in the bit that I read. The OBC reviewer seemed taken by the book so I rest assured that the book is a good read.

First Ten review added on September 3, 2018, at 4:06 am by OloladeO.

CinWin

"Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner opens with Catrin, the King's daughter taking a ride on her horse. She brought Raven, her animal guide. She can see the present and future through the Raven's eyes. Because of this power, she wants to become a Druidess. Her father forbids it because the magic is unpredictable and is a curse. Yet Catrin still secretly uses her powers. The cover of the book is nice. It depicts the contents of the book quite well. I read the first 10 pages and was struck by how well the author uses descriptive language to explain both the surroundings and the characters. I won't be finishing the book for two reasons. The first is that I don't enjoy love stories and the second being that I don't want to start another series book, as I am currently reading one now. There were no typos and there was an onlinebookclub review.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2018, at 10:07 am by CinWin.

Camille Turner

I would not have sampled this book without the program because I already know it is the first in a series from doing The First Ten for its sequel a couple of months ago. I wasn't interested in its sequel, so I would've assumed I wouldn't be interested in this one either and therefore wouldn't have sampled it. The cover also doesn't do much to pull me in, as it looks a little childish to me. After reading the first ten pages, I didn't note any errors so assume the book was professionally edited. My impression has changed a bit because my attention was held while Catrin entered the raven's mind and saw her half-brother coming to attack with an army. That is an interesting plot, and one I'd be willing to give more of a chance. However, I'm just so skeptical of the relationship between Catrin and the enemy, Marcellus, which I know is coming based on the blurb and the sample of the sequel I read. That relationship just seems so unoriginal (choosing between your enemy lover and your father). I also already get the impression some of the characters (like the sister and the king) are a bit unoriginal as well. The sister, Mor, doubts Catrin and is skeptical of everything. The father, the king, forbids Catrin from doing magic and clearly has a power complex since he'll make Catrin choose between him and her lover. Because I know all of these uninteresting elements are coming, I won't keep reading this book despite the fact that the first ten pages were actually interesting. I liked that the author began with Catrin using her magic, and I wouldn't have improved anything in the first ten pages.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2018, at 10:41 am by Camille Turner.

mtsnel006

The cover of the book is drawing, therefore, I would have chosen to read the book because of that. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be a historical fantasy - a genre I am not fond of. King Amren was married to queen Rhan and they lived in the region of Southeast Celtic tribes in Britain in 24 AD. One day, queen Rhan was found guilty of treason and the King personally killed her by beheading her. Their son, Marrock, was banished from the kingdom because he neglected Catrin (his half-sister) in the forest to die. However, Catrin was saved and she grew to become beautiful and fearless. She had mystical powers that ranged from prophesying to communicating with nature. Although the book's genre is not my cup of tea, I enjoyed reading the review and the sample. What I most liked about the book was the lesson that I had learned from it. Such as that revenge does not pay. Marrock tried to avenge for his mom's death by trying to get Amren killed, but he failed. The book was professionally edited. Thanks.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2018, at 1:04 pm by mtsnel006.

Kareka88

This book has been the book of the day a couple of times and book of the month recently/ It is not a style that I enjoy reading, and I will not finish it. Most of the sample I read was about Catrin with her raven watching warships come closer to her land. Through the eyes of her raven, Catrin discovers the leader of the ships is her half-brother. I did not notice any errors I grammar. There was a very informative review on OnlineBookClub, but it did not change my mind regarding reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2018, at 1:51 pm by Kareka88.

sonya01

I first saw this book when it was Book of the Month and was intrigued by the fuss it caused. Although I liked the reviews, I was not too interested to read it, as historical fiction from this time period is not really my preference. After having read the first ten pages, I have been pleasantly surprised by how engaging I found it. The writing flowed easily and I found myself getting absorbed in a wonderful story of magic and history, with a promise of wars and political intrigue in future pages. I did not notice a single error in the first ten which is promising. The heroine is immediately likeable and shows herself to be strong and brave. There is a suggestion of conflict with her brother and tension with her sister too, which hold promise for an interesting development later on. I still don’t think I will read this book to be honest, for the aforesaid reason, but I really do not have any criticisms of it and am sure it will appeal enormously to fans of this genre and time period.

First Ten review added on November 8, 2018, at 3:27 pm by sonya01.

a9436

I had mixed thoughts upon reading the blurb; I enjoy historical fiction in general but am not particularly interested in Roman nor Celtic culture. However, the reviews were so positive that I was encouraged to give Apollo's Raven a try. I found the first ten pages to be very well written, without grammatical errors, and I especially liked the implication of the king's daughters being trained to be strong, active women. The mysterious portal was also intriguing. However, I did not get to know the characters well enough to become hooked on the story, so whilst I may read both this book in the distant future, it is not an immediate priority of mine, and I shall not be purchasing today.

First Ten review added on November 9, 2018, at 2:12 pm by a9436.

Total ~ 53%

Apollo's Raven earned a score of 53%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 53% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Apollo's Raven