Cover for The Expansion

The First Ten Feedback for The Expansion

Because The Expansion was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

bookowlie

I was intrigued by the creative cover of this book and wanted to know more. The summary is edited well and gave me a good sense of the plot. However, I don't usually like books that include too many international settings. The beginning pages are well written, but there is too much dialogue and not enough narrative. Based on the multiple setting and dialogue-driven writing, I am not interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 10:56 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book based on the cover and blurb, as they aren't very fetching. The OBC review had me hooked, though. The opening scene, describing the murder-suicide of the protagonist's parents, was very compelling. The next scene, introducing young Max, was also executed well. I have to say that I enjoyed the sample more than I thought I would. If I didn't have so many books on my reading list, and if the book didn't end in a cliffhanger, I would have read the book. As this isn't the case, I will pass for now.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 11:03 am by gali.

va2016

Ideally I would have skipped this book as yet another novel. But once it starts talking about the Panama Canal and its engineering work, I got hooked. The narration is smooth, the formatting is good. The fox-like greed that lurks around in some of the characters gives the story an eery feeling. I am going to read this book.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 11:58 am by va2016.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

CataclysmicKnight

I went into this book absolutely blind with no idea what it could be. The cover made it look like a mystery novel or maybe even horror, but the Amazon plot sounded interesting enough despite being neither of those things. The writing is really captivating, and I felt hooked almost immediately! However, it's not enough to win me over and make me buy the book.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 12:38 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

ashley_claire

I don't know if it's the color scheme of the cover or what, but it immediately gives me a creepy vibe about the book, which isn't a bad thing. The tropical environment of the setting and the water-saving system in the summary strikes an interest in me to learn more about the book. But the heavy political intrigue that is mentioned isn't my cup of tea. Despite my trying to find reasons to not read this book, I really enjoyed the prologues and think it sets up a really intriguing background for the rest of the book. I will be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 12:59 pm by ashley_claire.

James Craft

I love a good thriller and this one seems well constructed. It has some interesting ideas and what sounds to be a cool plot. The opening is solid and the review recommends it without reservation, which are huge marks in its favor. It didn't really hook me to make me want to continue reading, but it was good so I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy reading it. I won't be getting a copy today, though.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 2:05 pm by James Craft.

Vermont Reviews

I purchased the book based on the preview. I truly liked the character of Max Burns. His friend at the boarding school allowed Max to have his opinions, but only if he kept them to himself. I felt bad that Max lost both of his parents. Although Max did quite well for himself in school. I am looking forward to reading the balance of the story. Christopher Martin shows his readers a great story with hid characters.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 2:54 pm by Vermont Reviews.

godreaujea

This book is action packed from the very beginning. Based on the Official OnlineBookClub review, I would not have chosen to read this book because of its genre. I am not a big crime/action fan. I stand by this decision after having read the first ten pages. The book appears to be professionally edited, but it seems like the format is a little off for the Kindle Cloud Reader. However, I do think this book would be enjoyable to those who like books with lots of action.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 4:30 pm by godreaujea.

L_Therese

Before reading the review, I was looking forward to an exciting (and quick) thriller. As I read the review, I was first interested by the promise international intrigue and a fairly unique-sounding plot. When I saw the cliffhanger warning, though, I immediately became wary. I avoid cliffhangers, and the sample was going to need to blow my mind to convince me to buy it when I know there's going to be a cliffhanger. As I read the sample, I was put off by the disturbing opening scene. I decided not to read further than those first ten pages.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 4:48 pm by L_Therese.

Sarah_Khan

I like the cover of this book. The Online Book Club review was favorable. After reading a few pages, I can tell that it is well-written. Unfortunately, the plot did not catch my interest.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 4:49 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Snowflake

The cover did not really give me an idea of what the book would be like. I was guessing it would be more of an alien abduction type of story. It was obvious, after reading the first sentence, that this was a different type of story. I really enjoyed the first 10 pages. The characters were clear, the dialogue flowed well and I got a very good idea about what the story would be like. The Official OnlineBookClub review also added to my interest in this book. I plan to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 4:51 pm by Snowflake.

ZenaLei7

I don't think I will finish reading this book since it isn't free. The sample was ok and it wasn't enough for me to finish the book. However, I do like the book cover. I also read the official OBC review, but it didn't convince me to read the book.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 5:24 pm by ZenaLei7.

EMoffat

Had I not read the sample pages I would not have read this book. I think the cover is great, the reviews are very good, and as an engineer I found the storyline with the Panama Canal very interesting. That being said, I am not very interested in the crime/thriller genre. After reading the sample pages I will continue to read the book. Even if the genre is not normally for me, the book was so gripping I wanted to know more. It is written extremely well, the characters are relatable, and the story is exciting. The book seemed professionally edited and I found no grammatical errors. My favourite part was the fast pace. I have no suggestions for improvement. There was an Official OnlineBookClub review which was very good, and it made me want to read it even more.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 6:21 pm by EMoffat.

Kdonegan91

The cover artwork and the title are creative and eye-catching. It certainly made me want to read this novel. However, after reading the first ten pages and the OBC review, I have concluded this book is not for me. I am not interested in the topic. I do not enjoy books that contain criminal enterprises or such. Therefore, I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 7:07 pm by Kdonegan91.

micoleon13

I don't personally like the cover of this book that much, mainly due to the splitting of the word expansion.
I would be hesitant to read further. The Onlinebookclub review made me slightly more interested in this book, although the subject of the Panama canal made me wonder if it would be full of engineering jargon. After reading the first pages, it completely changed my mind. It was well written and immediately fast paced and full of action. It was difficult to stop reading. I would continue with this book and, other than a possible rethink of the cover page, I have no other ideas for improvement.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 7:30 pm by micoleon13.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would not have read the book. I was not taken in by the blurb. After reading the sample I have not changed my mind. I liked the beginning where there was rapid dialogue, but after that I gradually became lost and confused. It was professionally edited. The official review did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 8:43 pm by psychopathycathy.

classicaltwist

I wouldn't read this book based on my first impression of it. The main reason is that I'm not a big fan of thriller novels. I also didn't like the cover. Even if this were in a genre I liked, I would have passed over it when browsing based on the cover. There's nothing about it that makes me want to click through and read the blurb.

Since I don't like the genre, the sample didn't change my mind. However, the sample was excellent. It was definitely professionally edited, but more than that, it's just good writing, period. The dialogue was especially excellent -- very natural sounding -- which is something I'm pretty critical of since stiff/unnatural dialogue keeps me from really immersing myself into the story. The only thing I didn't like was that the margins seemed larger than I'm used to and it made the text look cramped/narrow.

The book does have an official OnlineBookClub review, but it did not change my mind either. It actually made me double down on my choice since I absolutely hate cliffhangers.

First Ten review added on June 29, 2017, at 9:37 pm by classicaltwist.

ananya92

This book is in the thriller genre, and takes an interesting spin in the world of corporate espionage and cutthroat business world. The book seems to be edited properly. The review was quite helpful in pointing out what to expect in the book, and the description was pretty helpful too. Overall, the idea of the book impressed me, and there was proper foundation set for the story to keep the readers engaged. However, there was a certain dark edge to the novel which isn't much to my taste. Plus, I'm not into this kind of thriller fiction, therefore, I think I'll skip this one.

First Ten review added on June 30, 2017, at 1:01 am by ananya92.

Miche Sora

The first prologue hooked me, but the rest of the sample left me wondering what this book was about. There were few to no errors, which is always appreciated, but I have to wonder if the book has anything to do with the prologue. It seems like a stretch.

First Ten review added on June 30, 2017, at 1:26 am by Miche Sora.

Kitkat3

I like the cover and the title. The blurb is sufficient, and the book has received good reviews. It's possible that I might have sampled this book without this program, but the OnlineBookClub review is what really made me feel like I should sample it. It is professionally edited. After reading the first ten pages, I will be reading the rest.

First Ten review added on June 30, 2017, at 4:05 am by Kitkat3.

Cjgarland89

The cover provided a peek into the content of the book with the title and colorization, but after reading the OBC review and discovering this was in fact a political thriller I was surprised. The author takes a dive into a fictional storyline involving corporate espionage, which isn't something I'm too fascinated with. After sampling I can say my opinion hasn't changed and I am not very interested in continuing to read this book based on the sample. It did feel a little exciting, but I don't think the topic could hold my attention long. I didn't see any errors.

First Ten review added on June 30, 2017, at 5:42 am by Cjgarland89.

dhomespot

I am not sure that I would have bought the book based on the blurb and/or cover, but after reading the first ten pages, I am hooked. I do plan on buying the book at a later time (payday). The book looks to be professionally edited as I so no errors. The official review did help cement my decision on purchasing the book.

First Ten review added on June 30, 2017, at 1:24 pm by dhomespot.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I will read the rest of the book because the storyline and plot actually sound kind of complicated to me. I feel like this might make a good action movie but would be hard to read as a book. I probably won't be reading this one but I think those who enjoy good conspiracy stories would like this.

First Ten review added on June 30, 2017, at 3:48 pm by CrescentMoon.

Christina O Phillips

The summary sounded interesting. I liked the first few pages. They gave the reader a feel for the characters and drew me into the story and situation. It made me want to read more.

First Ten review added on June 30, 2017, at 8:45 pm by Christina O Phillips.

Gravy

I noticed no errors, and likely would have looked at this, had I found it.
The cover is attractive, and fits well. The style is enjoyable. I actually have nothing to really say against this.
I love the idea of focusing on the expansion of the Panama Canal.
If I didn't have quite so much on my list, or this was a more substantial genre for me, I'd likely read this. As I do, and it isn't, I won't be continuing, but would recommend it. I will also keep it in mind for later, just in case.

First Ten review added on June 30, 2017, at 9:08 pm by Gravy.

CarrieMe

The cover is eye-catching, the blurb is professional, and the reviews seem positive, but books about complicated political situations aren't my style, so I wouldn't normally read this book. After reading the sample, I don't plan to read this book. The writing is good, and the prologues were more intriguing than I expected, but the main storyline just isn't one that interests me enough to keep going.

First Ten review added on June 30, 2017, at 10:23 pm by CarrieMe.

anneloretrujillo

I would probably not have sampled this book without this program. The political end of the mystery that was mentioned in the blurb and review made me not really interested. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be finishing this book. I liked that the chapters had a stated setting. I also like the style of writing. The content just isn't for me. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 12:39 am by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

From the cover, I don't think I would be reading this book because it seems like it's about expanding in business or something related to that. I will not be reading this book because the first ten pages did not seem to interest me enough, there was no back story that elaborated on the introduction. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 3:50 am by jungkookblog.

MarisaRose

At first, 'The Expansion' piqued my interest because I'm a big fan of the mystery genre. I'll read almost any type of mystery, to be honest. But after reading the OBC review for this book, I was immediately put off by the description of the blatant cliff-hanger ending. Though I don't mind when some books are left open ended, I do prefer to have some sense of finality for at least some aspects of the book, and this book doesn't seem to have that. Therefore, I would not have read this book prior to sampling it for this program. After reading the sample, I decided not to buy this book or read any more of it. I'm not sure if it is just the sample, but the formatting of the book is rather annoying. There are not indentations when new paragraphs start, so the narrative looks like one long left-marginalized narrative. I found this distracting and based on the formatting alone, I would not have chosen to read this book. I did find some merit in the story and writing; however, it wasn't enough to keep me going with this one. I did not notice any grammatical errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on July 1, 2017, at 8:19 am by MarisaRose.

BunnySTx

After reading a sample of The Expansion by Christoph Martin I believe that I will be acquiring this book. I don't think that I would be interested in this book if I had not read a sample of it. While I like thrillers the subject matter, or focus, of this novel didn't appeal to me in the blurb. However, after reading some of the book it piqued my interest. Based on what I've read thus far in the book it does appear that this book was carefully and expertly proofread and edited. The way the story begins with a party and ends with the deaths of two characters lured me in. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on July 8, 2017, at 4:12 pm by BunnySTx.

Mollymae

Based on the sample and the review, the book sounds very interesting. The sample was well written and seemed to flow well. I'm not a fan of the cover but the title seems appropriate. Overall, I believe the book has potential to be very popular.

First Ten review added on July 8, 2017, at 8:29 pm by Mollymae.

Naval Aulakh

I have read the sample of the book and it seems interesting to me. The language used is easy to understand and I did not find any grammatical errors and spelling blunders. I have even read it's official review on OnlineBookClub and it inspired me to read the book. I am definitely going to read it further.

First Ten review added on July 9, 2017, at 12:03 pm by Naval Aulakh.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, I liked how the characters' thoughts were described. While the writing seemed a little formal, the sample was easy to read and follow. I found the cover interesting. The book seems professionally edited and has a favorable onlinebookclub review. Since I do not read the genre usually, I do not think I will be reading the book further.

First Ten review added on July 9, 2017, at 1:07 pm by AA1495.

Momlovesbooks

The cover of the book is interesting. I read the description and didn't find it very appealing. The plot doesn't seem like something I would enjoy. I read the first few pages of the book. It seems to be well written and properly edited. However, it doesn't catch my attention at this time. I won't be reading it any time soon.

First Ten review added on July 9, 2017, at 1:55 pm by Momlovesbooks.

hsimone

The cover is interesting, while the title doesn't give much away. I like how the ratings are fairly high, especially the praise that the OBC reviewer gives to this book. Sometimes I do like a good Crime/Suspense novel. However, I would not have sampled this read based on the blurb. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I like the natural flow of the story and the writing style. The fact that Max's parents seem like criminals and yet they didn't make it through the accident really brought me into the story. I'm curious to see what will happen to Max and if/when he finds out about his parents' criminal records. The lack of spacing between paragraphs within the sample is off-putting and a bit distracting. However, since this will be Book of the Month for next month, here on OBC, and there are free reviewer copies available, I do plan on finishing this book.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 6:57 am by hsimone.

klbradley

I was instantly drawn into this story with the opening prologue. With the opening lines including two characters running away because someone else has been arrested, and then ultimately they both die in a crash that was caused by a victim, I'm so curious to know just what crime they committed that they could not get away from. I'm looking forward to hearing more to this story and will be buying my copy.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2017, at 9:07 am by klbradley.

DDunstock

The Expansion by Christoph Martin is a mystery/thriller about a scientist caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. I really like this cover! The red combined with the shadow give a creepy vibe which sets the tone for this book - a thriller. In addition, the reviews are excellent! Based on these items, I would definitely choose to read this book.
The first ten pages were interesting, but I am not sure they drew me into the story. It was interesting to see two prologues as well, so I surmise that the author wants the reader to explore plenty of background material before delving into the story. What saves this first bit for me, though, is one line, "Edward Burns felt nothing as his skull split open". Based on this line, I would read this book. The other lines, to me, read slow.

First Ten review added on August 1, 2017, at 2:36 pm by DDunstock.

Gingerbo0ks

The cover doesn't give you a clear idea what the book is about, so it makes you want to find out more. After reading the first ten pages (and a few more) I don't think it's for me as I wasn't gripped by the prologues. I appreciate they give a sense of mystery and make the reader wonder how they relate to the story but I prefer to go straight into it.The OBC gave me a good idea of the plot though, and as it is book of the month, I will see what others think to it.

First Ten review added on August 1, 2017, at 5:37 pm by Gingerbo0ks.

Izesicle

Typically, I'm curious about the topic of any historical fiction novel, simply because it's based on facts. Thus, I read the review and the sample. I did not notice major typos or grammar errors. I like that the first chapter was action-packed and had a twist. I didn't see opportunities for improvement. However I will not buy the book, because the review says that the ending is a cliffhanger.

First Ten review added on August 1, 2017, at 5:59 pm by Izesicle.

jwalker73

This is not a book I would personally choose to read. I have read the first ten pages and, although the author has an engaging writing style, the theme of the book holds little interest for me. The cover does not excite me, nor do the blurbs. The Official OnlineBookClub reviews all speak highly of this novel, so I was hoping that I would get drawn into the story-line and want to continue. I can not find fault with the editing of this book and the writing flows nicely however, due to personal taste, I do not intend adding this book to my collection.

First Ten review added on August 1, 2017, at 9:10 pm by jwalker73.

Harmony Hills

I would normally read or sample a book based on editorial reviews, but now that i have read the first ten pages, my curiosity can't stop my fingers from turning. It introduced an interesting prologue i wanted to know more what will happen next. I also liked knowing about the background of the protagonist first hand.
It seems to be professionally edited and I would like to read the whole book if i have the means to buy it.

First Ten review added on August 2, 2017, at 3:52 am by Harmony Hills.

ButterscotchCherrie

I would have chosen to sample or read this book on the basis of the editorial review, because the story sounds exciting. I am not going to buy and read the whole book at this time because I'm not reading many fast-paced thrillers at the moment; also, the opening did not deal with the interesting part as described in the review. The first ten pages did not change my original guess. The text seemed professionally edited - I did not spot any typos or grammar errors. What I liked most in the bit I read was the settings. The pacing could be slower though I know it could be appropriate to the genre. I did see an Official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on August 2, 2017, at 4:14 am by ButterscotchCherrie.

truebookaddict

I wasn't too sure about this book when I read what it was about so I probably wouldn't normally have chosen to read/sample this outside of this program. I just felt the plot sounded convoluted. However, upon reading the first ten pages (plus), I have to say I was really impressed with how the story started out. The author deftly sets it up for the reader to really feel something for Max early on due to his personal tragedy. The writing is good and the editing is also spot on. No typos or grammatical errors to mention. Unfortunately, I will not buy the book at this time because the price is above my eBook spending limit. I am adding it to my Amazon wishlist and will probably obtain a copy if the price drops. (Note: This book was officially reviewed on OBC)

First Ten review added on August 2, 2017, at 6:59 am by truebookaddict.

Jeyran Main

I don't think this is my cup of tea. Having read the sample I am not that interested in the plot. I did not see any grammatical error. Having read the sample did not make a big difference to my initial decision as I also did not like the cover of the book.

First Ten review added on August 2, 2017, at 7:23 pm by Jeyran Main.

Jaime Lync

The Expansion by Christoph Martin has been applauded in the official OBC review because of it was really well edited. After reading the first ten pages, I agree that there seems to be no editorial issues to complain about. The story opens with Max's parents committing suicide in order to escape arrest. There is then a significant time skip and the story switches to the expansion of the Panama Canal. According to a reviewer although the novel starts with a bang it soon becomes a very slow paced story. I will not be investing my time and money into this novel.

First Ten review added on August 2, 2017, at 11:00 pm by Jaime Lync.

chocomeiske

I don't like this cover but the premise sounds good so I might have read a sample if I came across it.
I read the sample and really enjoyed it for the most part. I felt though that there was way too much dialogue but that's just a personal quirk. It did manage me pique my interest so that's good.

First Ten review added on August 3, 2017, at 3:43 am by chocomeiske.

vaz222

Had I not read the first ten pages as part of this program, I might have still chosen this book to read. It looks tropical and I love that. It has a very nice cover. I don't know about that title though. It doesn't give me any idea as to what the book is about. It's a fiction book, which is my kind of book. Im not going to be buying and reading the whole book because I'm reading several other books right now and this one doesn't jump out at me as a book I "must read." Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. The part I like most about the bit I read was the setting. The books starts in London, England which is one of my favorite places. The setting of a book is one of the most important things, in my opinion. I don't see anything that needs to be improved.

First Ten review added on December 19, 2017, at 11:47 am by vaz222.

Yolimari

The OBC review indicated this a political thriller/spy book. It also said that the story starts with a bang, but it gets slow until just before the end. Before reading the sample pages, I was not interested in this book because I am not into its genre that much. After I read the sample pages, I thought the book was professionally edited. I liked the suspense of the first scene in which Max’s dad crashes their helicopter on purpose. However, I did not like the description of Paco Roco, who sounds like a chauvinist criminal. I will not read this book because I like stories that keep me interested all the way, and I think this one is not going to do that for me.

First Ten review added on December 19, 2017, at 3:30 pm by Yolimari.

MsTri

Even though the cover is very attractive, the title did not peak my interest. Then both the synopsis and review told me this isn't a book of my preferred genre, but it may be interesting. The sample was okay, but confirmed that I won't be reading the rest. Still, I like that it was properly edited. I also like that it has TWO Prologues, something unique in my experience; it perfectly sets up the story from the viewpoint of both the parents and their orphaned son before continuing on in the present.

First Ten review added on December 19, 2017, at 5:07 pm by MsTri.

ritah

Based on the title and cover I wouldn't have sampled the book because it didn't appeal to me. I saw the official review and a few other reviews of the book when it was Book of The Month; the reviews and discussions were so interesting that I felt compelled to read the book. I also liked that the plot was intriguing and that the characters were interesting. That's the reason why I read the whole book. The book appeared to be professionally edited which made reading it a breeze.

First Ten review added on December 19, 2017, at 5:41 pm by ritah.

amybo82

Based on the book's description, it's not one I would typically pick up and read. It sounded like a James Patterson-style quick mystery/thriller, and I don't typically enjoy those books. After reading reviews on both Online Book Club and Amazon, I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be my type of book. I was impressed with how much knowledge of his setting the author demonstrated. However, it seems that the characters are underdeveloped, and that's one of the things I look for the most in a book. I was very impressed with the readability of the book. In the pages that I sampled, I was able to breeze through. The wording felt natural, and I didn't notice any major spelling or grammatical mistakes.

First Ten review added on December 19, 2017, at 6:56 pm by amybo82.

Afuglsan

The cover and title are certainly interesting. They don't give away anything the book would be about. I don't really like that, so I probably wouldn't pick it up. The reviews were all really promising, but the OBC review didn't really sway me either way. I do like the writing so far, the author really knows how to pull readers in. I didn't see any editorial errors. My biggest problem is the genre. I don't really like thrillers, so I'm not sure that I'd like this one. For now, I'm going to hold off reading it.

First Ten review added on December 19, 2017, at 11:13 pm by Afuglsan.

ladycraic

I wouldn't have chosen to sample The Expansion apart from First Ten. Neither the cover nor the blurb appeal to me. The second official OBC review made me more open to considering the book as a potential read, but the mention of a cliffhanger threw me off. After reading the first ten pages, I kept to my initial stance of passing on The Expansion. The first ten pages were very interesting - there was the tragic death of Helen and Edward Burns, then readers got a glimpse into Godfredo and Max's relationship, etc. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my attention was captivated by the characters. However, I noticed quite an occurrence of explicit language, and that detracted from any desire I had to read. Secondly, as I mentioned before, I don't like cliffhangers all that much.

This book seemed professionally edited from what I read so far, and I didn't catch any errors!

First Ten review added on December 20, 2017, at 12:01 am by ladycraic.

IsabelMay

The cover is attractive and the premise sounds good, I would've sampled it without this program. Suspense and thriller reads are my favorites, so I was looking forward to reading the first ten pages, especially after seeing a few great reviews on OBC. I liked that it started with action right away, but I was a bit disappointed with the writing style. Since I wasn't familiar with the characters or the setting, the first few pages were confusing. The book seems edited, but the description to dialogue ratio is out of balance. It ruined the reading flow for me. I had a feeling like the pace would slow down right after the sample and some reviewers confirmed my thoughts, so I won't be buying this book. I liked the premise, but the writing style just wasn't my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2017, at 2:57 am by IsabelMay.

Ashley Simon

I read the OBC review before checking out the sample of this book, and unfortunately it just didn't interest me. I felt the same way about the book. I'm not sure if the premise was overly complicated or if this is simply not my genre. My mind kept wandering off, though the dialogue was well-written and I didn't notice any structural/grammar errors. After a little reflection, I think the premise of the book wasn't specific enough. I wasn't sure which character I was supposed to be following, and maybe that is what made me feel scattered/distracted while I read. I won't finish this book.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2017, at 3:30 pm by Ashley Simon.

Vickie Noel

Well, I wasn't initially attracted to the book based on title and book cover, but its raving reviews were noteworthy. Can't say much has changed for me in terms of interest though, after reading the sample. It does feel engaging enough and the story is smooth and easy flowing. But I wasn't hooked in on the plot per se. I can't fault much grammatically as the only error I encountered was the mix of past and present tense in the sentence:"His thought was of the frozen water above the village. The feel of ice-cold stone, and of water molecules changing shape as they 'expand' in the pipes." I saw an OBC review which sort of hindered full interest in reading the book. It's a 50-50 chance of my continuing the read, but will be marking 'No' because I've got a lot on my plate right now.

First Ten review added on December 20, 2017, at 10:18 pm by Vickie Noel.

RebeccasReading

This is not a book I would not have normally read. The description was not particularly interesting to me. I had also previously read the official OnlineBookClub Review, which didn't make this book appeal much to me. After reading the sample, my opinion has not changed. I liked the author's writing style. The prologue was fun and exciting. However, I still find the overall topic pretty boring. My only suggestion for improvement is to revamp the description to make it seem more appealing. I am not opposed to ever reading this book, but don't have a strong urge to read it right away. It does seem professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2018, at 11:55 am by RebeccasReading.

Rosemary Wright

Honestly, I don't like the book's cover, and the title doesn't attract me. Although the first ten pages seem inviting, I won't buy the book. In addition, the book appears to be professionally edited since I didn't see any grammatical errors or typos while I read. I like the premise, but the author should have added an intriguing event in the premise. Yes, it has an interesting OBC review.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2018, at 3:23 pm by Rosemary Wright.

ayoomisope

The Expansion by Christoph Martin is an explosive fiction novel. I would have chosen to read the book without reading the sample first because the book's title and customer reviews' are intriguing. Furthermore, the cover is beautifully illustrated. The sample I read increased my interest in the book. I love how the story doesn't seem derivative, and it has many intricacies. The characters are fully explored. The book seems professionally edited. Finally, the book has an official OnlineBookClub review which is astute.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2018, at 5:12 pm by ayoomisope.

kemp1kor

Here's another book that just isn't of interest to me, mainly due to the genre. The cover is interesting, although I can't really get a feel for what the book is about based on just that, and the summary would likely draw the interest of people who enjoy thrillers or mysteries. I likely wouldn't have bothered to read a sample or buy the book if not for this program, and reading those ten pages did not change my mind. The writing was good and I didn't notice any errors, but I also wasn't drawn to keep reading.

I did like that there was some excitement in the beginning, and my curiosity was piqued by Ed's decision to crash the helicopter rather than deal with the consequences of his and Helen's actions. I don't think I have any improvements to suggest at this point in the book. The Official OnlineBookClub review was positive for the most part, but it did not convince me to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2018, at 6:38 pm by kemp1kor.

JessNWheeler

This is not a book I would have chosen to read because of the amateurish cover art and the title, The Expansion, isn't particularly intriguing. Also, the editorial, and customer reviews do not help to make the book more attractive. I found no grammar errors within the text.

The Official Online Book Club review of this book presents a compelling conflict in the story, but I will not buy and read this book. The sample did not capture my attention. The story seems to have been written for a male audience.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2018, at 9:09 pm by JessNWheeler.

N_R

This book sounded very good, however, reading the sample, I have been put off reading it. The start of the book is very good where the couple commits suicide, however, I then feel like the action goes flat. Reading the review, this seems like the novel does not improve and remains flat. Therefore, while I was keen to read the book, I have decided not to. I like books with action that then take a step back, but they have to quickly build the action back up otherwise the reader can lose interest. I found that I lost interest and this is why I do not want to read the entire novel.
The book does seem like it has been edited appropriately and I did not see any spelling errors. The part I liked most was the action at the start. What an amazing and daring way to start a novel, by a couple who seem to have it all committing suicide. However, a book needs to be able to maintain this momentum. I read the book club review and it seemed to echo similar concerns to the ones I had when I read the sample.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2018, at 10:02 pm by N_R.

Emmanae

I think I would have read the sample without this program based on the cover. I really loved the description of Edward Burns crashing the helicopter. It was really chilling, in a great creepy way. Although I didn't find any spelling or grammatical errors, I really didn't like the formatting of this book. I'm not sure if it was due to the font or the spacing, but something about it irked me. Maybe too many line breaks? After reading the Online Book Club official review, I think I'm not going to buy and finish this book. I have a lot of books on my TBR list, and the reviewer specified it as being nothing special.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2018, at 10:23 pm by Emmanae.

Momiji1987

Wow, the first chapter was pretty dark and heavy. I’m not a huge fan of thrillers only because I don’t like all that darkness. The author is very talented with this genre though. I like the cover image, the tree looks like a creepy hand and reminds me of the silent Dracula film imagery. I think character development is good and I didn’t notice any errors. I wouldn’t have looked at this book outside the program because I don’t shop for books very often. The review mentioned the rest of the story slows until the end, which I guess is out of character for a thriller. Maybe the author should switch genres or add more action in some of the chapters to interest his target audience more.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2018, at 10:43 pm by Momiji1987.

Dolor

The Expansion by Christoph Martin is a crime thriller book revolving around the project expansion of Panama Canal with dark themes of greed, revenge, betrayal, espionage, politics, corruption, murder, and mayhem. Without the first ten pages, I probably might not buy and read this book. I have seen from the cover that this book has dark themes. The cover did not give me the "grab it!" feeling. The OBC reviewer read it twice before getting the substance in the book made me confirm to bypass reading it. Reading the first ten pages has bored me with its slow pace, and overly descriptive writing style. The first prologue talks about the escape, and suicide of Ed Burns, and Helen Burns in their Robinson R44 helicopter, and the second prologue is very long. The prologue takes more than the first ten pages. Commas (,) in Prologue, I and Prologue, II are not necessary. The book is professionally edited. I have not seen any error other than the unnecessary commas. I don't have any improvement suggestion for this book. My decision to bypass reading this book is final.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2018, at 2:04 am by Dolor.

stedape

I would have chosen to read the sample of the book based on the intriguing title and outstanding reviews. I'm going to buy and read the book because of the interesting prologue in the sample. I love the way the characters of the book are introduced. The book seems professionally edited. The book has a great official review on OnlineBookClub.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2018, at 2:57 am by stedape.

Mercy Bolo

Based on the cover and title alone, I wouldn't have given this book a second glance. The absence of a blurb did not in any way influence my decision.

Being error-free isn't the only quality the sample possessed. It gripped my attention in a way that left me yearning for more. This leads me to conclude that it was professionally edited. After reading the official review, however, I came to the conclusion that I won't be reading the rest of the book. I say so because this is the kind of story I would prefer to consume in the form of a movie.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2018, at 6:45 am by Mercy Bolo.

BookishCreature

At first glance, I probably would not have picked this book up. The genre, political thriller, is one that I sometimes enjoy, and the book has received lots of positive reviews, but the cover and synopsis alone didn't grab my attention. The OBC review mentioned a lack of development in the main character, and that really tends to bug me. I figured the book might not be for me. After reading the first ten pages, I was struck by the immediacy and tension of the writing. The author really captured the characters' voices and built up a classic thriller atmosphere. The book seems to have been professionally edited as well. I'm not sure there's any room for improvement in the sample. The writing definitely drew me in, and I am planning to finish the book.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2018, at 2:02 pm by BookishCreature.

Bluecobia

I like the genre but I did not understand the cover till I read the reviews. The reviews tickled my interest but I might not have read further just based on the reviews and genre. Reading the first ten pages was disipointing. I did not see the good excitement and thrills that the reviews suggested. I liked the fact that the parents made the tough decision and killed themselves in an accident so that their mistakes would not destroy their son's future. I did not see any editorial errors in the first ten pages so I feel it was professionally edited. The first ten pages did not really catch my interest mso I don't plan to read the rest of this book at this time.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2018, at 8:28 pm by Bluecobia.

NL Hartje

The cover of this book is a throwaway for me. What's with the palm tree? Is this part of the Panama canal project alluded to in the first chapter? The reviews for this book are relatively positive which add to its intrigue but I'm not sure the plot is for me. Corporate enterprise scandals? How much more boring does it get? There are so many interior know-hows that must accompany this storyline, I feel like I would get lost in the details. Since, in general, thrillers aren't my thing, and this thriller seemingly based on corporate enterprise seems like it will bore me-I will not be continuing this book.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2018, at 9:14 pm by NL Hartje.

Shelle

This book looked and sounded very familiar and after a quick search, I realized I had already read it and have it on my e-reader. It's been a few years since I've read it and probably need to read it again. The book opens with a lot of action and I like the main character, Max, and his friend, Fredo. The writing is well-paced and easy to follow. The OBC review is positive and that's encouraging. I'm glad tis is part of the BOTD program, although I was introduced to this book outside of BOTD. I'm not going to buy the book today because I already have it, but I would recommend it. This book did not appear to have any editorial or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2018, at 11:12 pm by Shelle.

ReviewerDiksha

The cover and the title of this book don't reveal much, so based solely on these two factors, I am not sure if I would have bought it. I read the OBC review and got a bit more insight into its plot. The idea of a story built around Suez Canal seemed interesting to me. It was also mentioned that the writer has mentioned many details regarding the history and architecture of it. I like reading such things. I read the sample, and it instantly had my attention. The prologue was very good, and it paved a very strong foundation for building the interest. The writing style was good and I didn't find any grammatical mistakes.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2018, at 12:25 am by ReviewerDiksha.

SPasciuti

I was fairly certain that I wouldn't be reading this book after going through the blurb and reviews, knowing that the genre is not one I pick up often. I wasn't exceptionally interested in the story, and the truth is that I'm still weary of it after reading the sample. I'm not sure if this was professionally edited or not, as I noticed a few errors, particularly in capitalization and oddly placed ellipses and the formatting was just disastrous. Paragraphs were separated by single lines instead of double. With all that said, the story that the book initially gives its readers is incredibly interesting. The action of the novel grabs readers' attention instantaneously and keeps them hooked through the rest of the sample.

I'm pretty torn on whether or not I will read this one since the formatting is immeasurably distracting, but I'm rather curious about the story and the main character. I feel like if the formatting were fixed, I would be more inclined to continue reading it.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2018, at 1:51 am by SPasciuti.

Total ~ 25%

The Expansion earned a score of 25%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 25% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for The Expansion