Cover for Strong Heart

The First Ten Feedback for Strong Heart

Because Strong Heart was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

va2016

From my sampling of the first few pages of the book, it sounds like an interesting story involving mysticism of the land, spirits, etc., which I am interested in reading about. In the first chapter, several characters and their relationships are being introduced abruptly which kind of puts the reader off. I am sure that once the reader wades through all this stuff, it would be a smooth sail of enchanting read! I am going to try reading this book!
Thanks.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 10:00 am by va2016.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

gali

I probably would have sampled the on my own blurb, as I love magic realism. The cover is lovely and the blurb satisfactory, but the official review the one that had me hooked. The book opened with the dramatic entrance of Sarah, immediately pulling me in. I enjoyed the sample, so I will read the balance of the book eventually.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 10:18 am by gali.

James Craft

A great looking cover and strong images. The opening of this book was extremely well written and I didn't notice any mistakes or flaws that would turn me away. I also like that it is along the lines of fantasy with some magical realism tossed in for flavor, and I can see how people will really like reading this one. All in all, I won't be getting a copy today because I am too booked up with other things to read, but I can see a lot of people really enjoying this one if they give it a shot, and the cover will certainly bring them in.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 10:29 am by James Craft.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Vermont Reviews

Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon was a great choice for today's book of the day. The characters made the story and I was impressed with the reviews. Based on the preview I did download a copy of the book to finish the story of Tom and his granddaughter Sarah. The writing was excellent and I am looking forward to finishing the story.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 11:13 am by Vermont Reviews.

ananya92

The first noticeable aspect of this book are the number of themes explored. There is adventure, native mysticism, mystery and a clash between modern and native world. The book has quite an unusual premise. Initially I thought it was similar to Heidi, where an orphaned granddaughter comes to live with her grandfather, but the excellent review and interesting description cleared any such misconception. The review and description piqued my interest about this book, which seems so distinct from other books. The story is set in Olympic wilderness which makes it more riveting. The book seems to be edited properly. Though the premise of the book certainly prods on my curiosity, I think I'll skip this one, since right now, I'm not into this genre.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 11:41 am by ananya92.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, I found the plot interesting. Apart from the pace of the plot in the sample, I liked the author's writing style. I found no obvious grammatical errors. The book has a favorable onlinebookclub review. While I do not think I will read the book further now (since the genre is not one I usually read), I might read it in the future.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 1:27 pm by AA1495.

Kdonegan91

I love the cover of this book and the title enhanced my curiosity further. I thoroughly enjoyed the first ten pages of this book. Also, the OBC review made me even more eager to read on. I enjoy native storytelling and their way of life and beliefs. I can't wait to read more.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 1:34 pm by Kdonegan91.

Sarah_Khan

I really like the cover and title of this book. The plot seems unique and it caught my interest. After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this book is very well-written and professionally edited. The writing is descriptive. I look forward to reading the rest.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 3:01 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Shelle

I was intrigued when I saw this was BOTD and happy to sample it. I immediately liked that it was set in the Washington peninsula. The pacing seemed good and kept my attention. I think I will like the main characters. I'm looking forward to finishing this book later this summer, perhaps while traveling to that part of Washington.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 3:02 pm by Shelle.

Miche Sora

The title doesn't suggest anything about Native American mysticism, but there is definitely mysticism in here, which is great! The book pulled me in immediately, with Tom learning he has a granddaughter he never knew about. She is a typical teenager, so you know things are going to get interesting. Can't wait to finish reading this book!

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 3:06 pm by Miche Sora.

bookowlie

I was intrigued by the well-written Amazon summary. However, the cover of the book doesn't tell me too much and is not something I would glance at twice. The sample pages are interesting, but I noticed a few missing words - ("in forest" instead of "in the forest", "You have granddaughter?" instead of "You have a granddaughter?" The book doesn't appear to be professionally edited. Based on the sample, I am not sure if I want to continue reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 5:58 pm by bookowlie.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb I don't think this book is for me. I'm not a fan of audio books and the storyline actually doesn't sound like something I would read. It actually seems quite boring to me. I think people who really enjoy fantasy would like this book. Although I am a huge fan of fantasy this isn't my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 6:44 pm by CrescentMoon.

classicaltwist

I'm not sure if I would read the book based on the title, cover, blurb, and reviews. The premise of the story seems a little strange to me. A teenage girl he's never met comes up to his door and he takes her with him to go camping? Most people would take her to a police station or something rather than risk getting in trouble for something like kidnapping. It seems quite strange that instead of doing that he decides to try and teach her about "character, responsibility, and grit."

Reading the sample cleared up any reservations the blurb gave me. If I hadn't read the sample for the first ten program and had just come across this book while browsing, I probably would not have read the sample and just moved on. The blurb says "abandoned 13-year-old girl" which makes it sound like she came alone, claims Tom is her grandfather, and then he just takes her on his camping trip without verifying anything. That being said, I will not be purchasing this book. The writing is decent and it seems to be professionally edited, but the story didn't really draw me in.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 10:29 pm by classicaltwist.

Amagine

I like the cover of the book and the imagery that it displays. The first couple of chapters were interesting but I started to lose interest the further I got a long in the story. This book isn't a genre that I would usually pick up.

First Ten review added on May 31, 2017, at 11:17 pm by Amagine.

ZenaLei7

Since the book is free, I will probably finish reading it. It seems like an interesting read and it is the type of book that I usually read. I didn't notice any major grammatical errors either.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 12:14 am by ZenaLei7.

CarrieMe

The cover of this book is nice and the reviews seem positive, but the blurb left me feeling unconvinced that I should try this book. The premise sounds a little silly to me- why in the world would someone take a kid they just met on a hiking trip with their friends? After reading the sample, the premise makes more sense to me, at least. I still don't plan to buy or read this book. There's nothing about the story so far that has really grabbed me. The book seems professionally edited and I didn't notice any mistakes.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 3:17 am by CarrieMe.

micoleon13

I would have bought Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon from the cover page alone and after reading the first 10 pages, I can see how the picture ties into the story as well. After reading the general blurb and other comments from other readers, it seems like the story continues to be as interesting and well written as the first pages.

I like the start of the story line, where a difficult wayward teenager is forced to stay with her unsuspecting grandfather and trek out in nature. The setting is well placed for a lot of self discovery and growth, which I like, and I will continue to read the rest of the book to find out how it develops.

There were no apparent errors in the pages that I read and it looks like it has been professionally edited. Other reviews recommend this book and reinforce my opinion of it being an enjoyable read. The Official Review by the OnlineBookClub was for the audio version where the only criticism was for the narration, not for the story. Overall I will continue to read this book as the story is one which appeals to me, its well written and is correctly edited. I have no suggestions for improvements.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 9:53 am by micoleon13.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review alone, I would not likely have picked this book up. The themes of the book and the genre, in general, are not those that usually excite me. After reading the first ten pages, I was intrigued at where the storyline would go, but not enough to change my mind; I will not be reading the rest of this book. I liked how the book wasted no time in introducing the main conflict in the book, the arrival of Tom's granddaughter, but it really didn't captivate me enough to bump any of the current TBR books off the list. The book looked well written and edited. The official OBC review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 1:51 pm by Scerakor.

dhomespot

I would have chosen to read this book without reading the first 10 pages. The cover and title caught my attention and then reading the Official OnlineBookClub review just cemented my decision to read it. I actually got halfway through the book before realizing it. I like coming of age stories, especially when the teenager is surly and learns to accept unconditional love. This book looks to be professionally edited and I do not see any improvements that need to be made.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 5:13 pm by dhomespot.

Gravy

I would not have looked at this book.
There were some typos, and errors. Misspelled words, missing words, etc, so I would suggest another edit.
Much of the dialogue felt inauthentic. It just fell flat for me. Because of this I couldn't really feel for any of the characters, which makes me not want to continue. I won't be reading this.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 8:09 pm by Gravy.

Jaime Lync

Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon seems to be a story about family bonding, (American native Indian style). Tom discovers that he has a teenage granddaughter the night before a hike to visit his grandad's grave. Will he take Sarah, his grandchild, on the hike? This novel seems to offer light humour and a beautiful family value lesson. Also, the book seems to be professionally edited. I look forward to reading this novel from cover to cover.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 8:40 pm by Jaime Lync.

Momlovesbooks

The OBC review was well-written and made the book sound intriguing. I read the first few pages, but couldn't connect to the characters. If I had read further into the book, I might have become more interested. However, I have too many books on my "to read" list right now. I might pick it up later.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 9:10 pm by Momlovesbooks.

L_Therese

The cover for this book is lovely, but the description didn't make it sound like the kind of book I'd normally purchase. As I read the first ten pages, I was hoping to feel more engaged than I actually did. I felt like I had read similar stories before, and I was less than inclined to finish the book at this time.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 10:28 pm by L_Therese.

klbradley

After reading the synopsis of the book, I was really interested to see how this story would play out. I always enjoy reading stories where you really don't know where the line of events will take you. When I first started into the first ten pages, I was pleasantly surprised that the chain of events immediately started with a knock on the door, just as the synopsis suggestion would happen. I'm looking foward to see what Sarah can learn from Tom, and even more importantly, what Tom can learn from Sarah. I do plan to finish the rest of the book, and have already downloaded my free copy.

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 11:00 pm by klbradley.

CataclysmicKnight

I love the cover of this book, so I'm pretty sure I would've at least checked the book out if I came across it naturally. So far it's been wonderful; what kid wouldn't be upset being dropped off in the middle of wilderness/nowhere where there isn't even a TV? The premise in Amazon's About This Book is very intriguing. If the book wasn't free I wouldn't have bought it, but since it was I can definitely see finishing it sometime!

First Ten review added on June 1, 2017, at 11:18 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

jungkookblog

I think I will be reading this book because it seems like a great mystery along with adventure book when I first glance at the cover. I will be reading this book because the first ten pages started right away with the action and suspense. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think that would've affected my decision.

First Ten review added on June 2, 2017, at 1:15 am by jungkookblog.

Kitkat3

I really like the title and the cover. The OnlineBookClub review makes me want to read the rest of the book. It has great reviews and an interesting blurb. The book is professionally edited. After reading the first ten pages, I will be reading the rest of the book. I am interested in finding out what happens.

First Ten review added on June 2, 2017, at 3:55 am by Kitkat3.

anneloretrujillo

I might have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb and OBC review. It seemed like an interesting story. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I didn't really like the style of writing. It was kind of choppy for my taste, and some of it was a little repetitive. It did seem to be professionally edited, it just isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on June 2, 2017, at 4:16 am by anneloretrujillo.

hsimone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this read. The cover and title is beautiful, but the blurb did not pique my interest. Based on what I read, the book does seem professionally edited. I like the general situation in the story (a man obtaining a granddaughter he didn't know about) and the author's writing is clear and flows well. Overall, since this is a free book and I like the plot and the writing, and the OBC reviewer seemed to really enjoy it, I do plan on giving this a full read eventually.

First Ten review added on June 2, 2017, at 5:28 am by hsimone.

Cjgarland89

The cover is this book is very nice and caught my attention right away. However after diving into the sample and having so much happening in the first ten it was a bit overwhelming. I also don't typically enjoy fantasy adventure books, so this time I won't be finishing this book. I didn't see any errors in the sample, and didn't notice an ONc review. I don't think it would have changed my opinion.

First Ten review added on June 2, 2017, at 7:21 am by Cjgarland89.

Christina O Phillips

The description and title did not appeal to me. I read the first ten pages anyway. I was not drawn in during the first chapter. Tom is supposed to be the main character, but the story opened with William, so that threw me off. The dialogue was flat and felt fake. The sentences were nearly the same length and had no variety. This book failed to pull me in during the first ten pages.

First Ten review added on June 2, 2017, at 9:25 am by Christina O Phillips.

DDunstock

Strong Heart seems to be about a girl and an older man coming together to defeat their own demons, and promises adventure and mystery. Personally, the cover and the book blurb just didn't do anything for me. I would not be compelled to read this book based on first impressions.
Delving into the first ten pages, I did enjoy the map that is included before the prose starts; maps are a great way to give the reader a visual and bring them into the story right away.
I was not sucked into the prose, however. No spelling or grammar errors, but after reading the book blurb, I imagined it would take a bit more story to get the to main initial plot line, Tom and his granddaughter meeting. This just isn't my type of story.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 11:48 am by DDunstock.

Bluecobia

The cover and title interested me. The genre, listed as coming of age, is not something I read often. The amazon comments did not sway me one direction or the other. The official review sort of turned me off since it sounded like the book was a little cunfusing. Reading the first ten pages I thought to myself I am going to enjoy this book. I love the setting for the book. I am looking forward to reading the descriptions of the Olympic Peninsula and learning more about the native Americans and their lives. I have not noticed ant editorial errors in the first ten pages. I have downloaded the book and plan to read it soon.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 12:36 pm by Bluecobia.

ashley_claire

The cover of this book is beautifully done and nice to look at. Even though this book has positive reviews and seems to be an adventurous read, I feel indifferent toward it going in. It seems like it could be an interesting read, but it's not really something I'm itching to pick up. I love that maps are included in the beginning of the book. For me, maps always make it much easier to visualize the journey that takes place throughout the book. The writing style of the author does take a little getting used to because of the abundance of commas that are used. But I took it as being part of the style of the author and not as an inability to edit. I don't think I'll be continuing this book, as just from the first few pages I found Sarah's character to be annoying and just not someone that I am interested in learning more about.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 1:23 pm by ashley_claire.

Yolimari

The title sounds nice and the cover is okay. The reviews are positive, but I would not have chosen this book before reading the sample pages because the story sounds slow. After I read the sample pages, I liked William's character because he is Native American. I liked how he told Sarah about the school that he was sent to and forced to get Americanized. Those schools existed. However, I will not read this book because the story seems slow for my reading style.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 1:28 pm by Yolimari.

Belynda White

Charlie Sheldon did a good job in the first ten pages of this book. Out of the blue, William is a grandfather, from his late daughter he never knew got pregnant before she died. I love the story line, as I already read the review on it and I'll definitely want to finish what I already started.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 1:59 pm by Belynda White.

Lennycat

Had I not read the first ten pages of this book as a part of this program, I probably would not have chosen to read this book because I wasn't sure how the characterization of the Native-American characters would be treated. I like the book cover and I think it looks professional. The fonts are interesting, of good size and well-placed. I read the review at OnlineBookClub.com and it led me to believe that this was a good read. After reading the sample, I did not find any technical or grammatical errors. The prose was smooth and it flowed nicely from one page to the next. I hooked into the story right away and I found the characters likable and they all had well-defined personalities. I did like how the Native-Americans were treated in this story line, not as stereotypical or cartoon characters. I think I would probably finish this book.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 4:20 pm by Lennycat.

Snowflake

This book has an interesting title and cover. I would likely have read the sample without the first ten pages program. I enjoyed the sample and did not notice any obvious typos or grammar errors. There was one sentence that I still don't understand after reading it a few times but everything else was clear. The setting was set quickly and the characters were well described. The dialogue of the adults seemed to need a bit of work to sound more like the age they were but Sarah's voice seemed spot on. I like the idea of this story and I'm glad that's its free today. I plan to read the rest of this book at some point.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 4:30 pm by Snowflake.

Gingerbo0ks

I like the cover as it looks professionally done and suits what the book is about. The blurb seems appealing as does the official OBC review. I like the idea of a journey, and changes and learning along the way. Some reviews make it seem like it might be a slow book though. I found the begining to be a bit rushed and slightly unrealistic, however, that is just the set up for the events and main story which may still be promising.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 5:45 pm by Gingerbo0ks.

BunnySTx

After reading a sample of, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon, I have decided that I will finish reading this book. When I first saw the cover for this book I would have pegged it for nonfiction and passed. After reading the blurb for this story, I found myself interested. While I think that the blurb could use some clarifications in some portions, it engaged my interest in the story. So far I find this book to be interesting. Tom abruptly learns that he is a grandfather when years before, he was told his daughter had no children. Now he has this teenage girl dumped on him who is the spitting image of her mother. I don't like how she is just basically being passed around in the family from one family member to the next. Granted, I can understand just based on her attitude. Based on what I have read this book does appear to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review. The review does have a few elements that lessen my interest, but it's not enough to deter me from reading it.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 7:08 pm by BunnySTx.

Izesicle

Based on the cover, the reviews, and the blurb, I would have sampled the book. I like the book cover design. The sample did not have noticeable typos or grammar errors. The writing and dialogue fit the characters. Based on all of these i will read the the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 7:23 pm by Izesicle.

Excitedreads

I started reading this one, but I wasn't drawn in to it. It seems to be based on a good premise from what I read from the synopsis and the OBC review, but maybe I'd have to wait for the plot to deepen for it to be worthwhile. I will finish this one, but more based on what I read from the OBC review than what I read in the actual novel. What I don't like though is Sarah's character. She seems snobbish and self centred, and in a "I hate the world" state of mind. What I think might have made it better though, would be hearing things from her perspective, instead of William's or Tom's. Getting more insight into her mind may help the reader better understand the challenges for her character. Apart from that, there was one spelling error when Tom said if anything happened to Sarah, Ruth would "sic" him with the authorities, instead of stick. Otherwise, structurally, everything seemed fine.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 7:26 pm by Excitedreads.

Elle Howard

The cover of the book gives you a hint that it will be about a wilderness adventure. I like how the beautiful scenery is overlaid on top of a map of the location, It gives the cover a very unique look. I will definitely be reading the rest of the novel. I can tell from just the few pages I have read that this camping trip will be life changing for all four characters. I am left wondering what will happen to Sarah. She seems so lonely and dejected. The book appears professionally edited. I saw no issues with grammar or spelling. The author has done a great job of catching your attention and providing enough details to keep you reading. Sarah's mom died but she was a runaways. Her grandmother appears cold and unloving. She did not know about Sarah until recently. All things that make you want to keep reading in search of answers. I look forward to finishing this novel as the first ten pages are so well written.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 7:34 pm by Elle Howard.

Donnavila Marie01

What I like most about this book is its archeological part. I learned a lot from it. Tom and his granddaughter, Sarah are interesting characters in the story. They are strangers to each other but they have something in common. The author gave a detailed description of the central location of the events which is Olympic National Park. The author successfully mixed science and legend in this story which made it unique. The readers will find themselves hanging and wanting for more. This is perfect for those who love drama, adventure, and legend.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 7:59 pm by Donnavila Marie01.

RegularGuy3

Neither the title nor the cover art would have led me to grab this book. The opening ten pages did not grab me or make me particularly interested in the story--we are rushed directly into a scene with four primary characters, one secondary, and one dead. It feels more like a play. That said, there's a casual comfort to the speech of all the characters, each of whom have noticeably distinct voices. The review covers the plot in a little more detail, suggesting the intrigue ahead that isn't even hinted at in the opening--it could easily take any direction. I like that setup more than forcing us further into a situation we don't fully understand. The review (more than the book itself so far) makes me want to continue, and the characters are good enough that I'm not deterred. I will likely set it aside for a rainy day when I'm finished with my first choices, then give it a shot.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 8:07 pm by RegularGuy3.

Afuglsan

Based on reviews, I would not have chosen to read this book. The title itself is a bit interesting and the cover is beautiful. For me, reading about a girl lost in the woods just isn't that appealing. Although, I'm sure the author's description of the mountains and forests are fantastic. I am intrigued after reading the first ten pages, I am interested in how Sarah's relationship with her grandfather develops. Other than that, though, I am still not that interested in the book. I don't think I'll be reading it further, for now.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 11:06 pm by Afuglsan.

Christina Rose

The cover is not very intriguing to me, but the premise is. After reading the Official review, and sampling the book, I have decided to continue reading. I enjoy the author's writing style, and I am looking forward to the Book of the Month discussions in October.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2017, at 11:15 pm by Christina Rose.

Vickie Noel

The book cover is ok to me, not exactly captivating. It's not a book that would probably stop me in my tracks. The sample was interesting enough and seems to be professionally edited. Nothing to be improved upon. The OBC review was quite positive but it doesn't affect my decision.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2017, at 3:50 am by Vickie Noel.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would have read the book. It sounds very interesting and the cover gives me a very nostalgic vibe. After reading the sample I have not changed my mind. I really liked how much dialogue there was and that it flowed smoothly. It was professionally edited. The official review made me want to read the book more.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2017, at 4:53 am by psychopathycathy.

jwalker73

I like the cover of this book. I probably would have considered reading it based on its genre, blurb and reviews. I like the story line of this novel and I am curious to learn what happens when Sarah disappears for eight days and how that changes her. I am also interested in learning a bit about Native American culture. The first ten pages immediately drew me into the story. It flowed well and was professionally edited. I enjoyed the arrival of the obnoxious granddaughter and could relate to trying to go hiking with a sullen, complaining child! I intend to continue reading this story. I am enjoying it so far and find it easy reading.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2017, at 6:31 am by jwalker73.

Londera

If this book was not a part of the first ten program I would have likely not have read it. The reason being that the book doesnt immediately capture my attention.After reading the first few pages I am going to read the book because of the characters. There are not enough native American protagonists in literature that are a history story. They are often the sode characters or the antagonists. That is what I liked most about the book. It showed Native Americans in a positive way. The book is very well edited. I have read the official online book club review and it did persuade me to read a few more pages.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2017, at 7:22 am by Londera.

Jeyran Main

Although I found the cover to be appealing, the sample did not appeal to me. The work appears edited and the sample was what made me make the decision on it. I did see that the book had several reviews but did not get a chance to read it and made my choice based on the sample instead.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2017, at 8:44 am by Jeyran Main.

Btowntheatregal

After seeing the book cover and reading the description of Strong Heart, I think I would have picked this book up to read. I enjoy reading books that allow me to learn about other cultural groups and regional areas. After reading the first ten pages, I was hooked. I love the setup of the willful, opinionated teenager just dropped on William's steps. I definitely will read the rest of this book. As I often find, there are comma placement errors, which a strong editor can easily identify and correct. I did see a couple of reviews from OnlineBookClub.org members and they made me want to read the book even more.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2017, at 2:27 pm by Btowntheatregal.

chocomeiske

This cover doesn't grab my attention so if not for this program, I wouldn't have given it a second glance much less read a sample. The description sounds interesting and I like the mention of mystical elements. Having read the sample, this does sound interesting and Sarah the main character is feisty and likeable. It does appear to be well edited and I love the chapter headings.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2017, at 3:55 pm by chocomeiske.

IsabelMay

The cover is gorgeous and attractive, it promises an adventurous story so I am glad that the premise confirms that. I have not heard a lot of stories involving native American culture so it is nice to see one featured here. The writing style is simple but engaging. I would like to read the rest since I read lovely reviews.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2017, at 4:07 pm by IsabelMay.

ReadingRebecca

I would have read this book after reading the blurb. The cover fits what the book is about. Some of the lovely detail is lost when it's the size of a thumbnail, which is too bad. The book seems professionally edited. I only found one tiny typo in the first ten pages. Reading a sample sealed the deal for me. I like the writing style and the story itself. I will be finishing this book. One suggestion I have for improvement would be to tell the story from Tom’s perspective only. I was confused when the story opened with William going to answer the door. I naturally assumed he was the main character, and when he wasn't I kept getting confused between him and Tom. Other than that, I think it's a great story so far. I also love the author's name. It's simple and fits the book in my opinion.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2017, at 10:28 pm by ReadingRebecca.

ReviewerDiksha

The cover and title of this book are attractive. I would have picked it out based on its appearance. I had read a few reviews regarding this book on the OBC, and wanted to see it for myself from quite some time. I must say I wasn't disappointed. The writing style was very engaging, and though the first chapter was just an introduction to things, it had my full attention.

First Ten review added on September 22, 2017, at 12:04 am by ReviewerDiksha.

truebookaddict

I have long been a fan of books and stories that incorporate Native American legends so I would have chosen to read/sample this book outside of the first ten program. I'll say one thing, reading this engages the reader right from the start. The storytelling is easy going and natural. I could picture each character clearly in my mind as I was reading. I love the addition of Sarah as a "fish out of water" element to the story. You could also say that Tom is also in the same situation, as he is just finding out he's a grandfather. This one interaction between Tom and Sarah was my favorite: "Where's your television?" Tom: "No television." Sarah: "There was a television there. At her place." Tom: Well, not here. Read a book." Oh the times I have said that to my own kids! Very real. This book was free so I did download it and I intend to read the whole book eventually. The editing is good. No typos or grammatical errors were obvious to me. (Note: This book was officially reviewed on OBC)

First Ten review added on September 22, 2017, at 9:18 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 62%

Strong Heart earned a score of 62%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 62% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Strong Heart