Cover for Envoy of Jerusalem

The First Ten Feedback for Envoy of Jerusalem: Balian d'Ibelin and the Third Crusade

Because Envoy of Jerusalem was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

ananya92

This book can be categorized in the historical fiction genre. It is set in the period of the crusades, and follows the story of Balian d' Ibelin and how he tries to free Jerusalem from the control of the Turks. This is the third book in the series, and not having read the previous books in the series, I was a bit at sea about the premise of the story. However, the author tries her best to provide a background to the story as well as narrate history of that period, to create a vivid tale for the reader. The author's writing style is quite engaging, but I felt slightly overburdened with the technicalities like the numerous titles and characters. The editing of the book could have been better. The description and review of the book were quite encouraging, however, despite the interesting idea of the book, I think I'll skip this one because I haven't read the previous books and feel strange to start a series without reading the earlier installments first.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 10:22 am by ananya92.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as it isn't a book that I normally gravitate to. The cover isn't very fetching, the but the blurb is informative and gives one a good idea about the narrative. I liked that the sample opened cast of characters and maps, providing some background about the period and previous books was also a good move, before moving on to the tale itself. The sample seems well written, I didn't notice any major errors, but it just didn't grab me. I won't read the book as its subject matter doesn't interest me. Also, reading about crusades, sieges, and wars isn't my favorite reading material.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 10:25 am by gali.

va2016

The fight for Jerusalem between the Muslims and the Christians in the historical times is narrated in the start of this historical fiction. The story starts off with a brisk narration, and makes the reader curious.
Historical fiction of this type is not my taste, so I am going to skip this.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 11:42 am by va2016.

James Craft

An interesting and provocative cover. The opening of the book wasn't enticing for me though even though it got a great review from obc. I didn't really like the style so I won't be buying a copy. It seems great for some readers though.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 12:39 pm by James Craft.

Sarah_Khan

The cover and title of this book are good. Although, the online book club review mentions a few errors in the writing I personally could not find any in the first ten pages. Therefore, the book seems well-written to me. The plot itself does not interest me so I do not intend to purchase this book today.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 12:46 pm by Sarah_Khan.

CrescentMoon

Based on the title and blurb, I don't really think this book is for me. The subject matter seems really heavy and I'd rather read books that are more light-hearted and quick. It also seems like there are previous books to this series that are necessary to read in order to understand this one. I do think maybe fans of historical fiction would like this.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 1:20 pm by CrescentMoon.

chocomeiske

I like the cover of this book in that it is pretty self-explanatory. This is a story about the Crusades and that is clear to see by the cover.
The sample was ok but not interesting enough to make me want to read further. That however has more to do with my preferred genres than the book. I appreciated all the info at the front of the book. I also can't recall any glaring editing issues.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 1:29 pm by chocomeiske.

ZenaLei7

I don't usually read historical fiction books and I also read the official OBC review so I'll pass on reading the entire book. Based on the review, I didn't like how there were numerous errors like the confusion between places because of a a misspelling. I do like that the characters seem well developed and the plot seems interesting as well.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 2:38 pm by ZenaLei7.

Christina O Phillips

The summary was partially interesting to me: I like stories set in the Middle Ages but I know nothing about Balian d'Ibelin. However, the blurb also said this is Part 3, so I will not buy the book because I do not like reading something if I have not read the previous installments. I read the first ten pages anyway. I did not like how the cast of characters were all in different fonts. I liked the maps, they help me to see where the story would be. As I was reading, I felt like I was missing something (probably the first two novels). I did not like the font: it was too small and some parts were in different fonts.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 3:13 pm by Christina O Phillips.

L_Therese

The cover wasn't all that attractive in the thumbnail, but when I saw it blown up on the social media posts, it improved. Long books and books that are latter-segments of series aren't usually ones that I would pay attention to in my normal book hunting, but the reviewer said this one could stand alone. As I read the sample, it seemed pretty well written, but with so many characters, this didn't feel like a series that I want to start reading in the middle.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 3:57 pm by L_Therese.

CataclysmicKnight

Something about this book seemed familiar, especially when I got to the cast of characters and introduction (effectively a recap of the previous two books). That's when I looked up the other books in the series and realized the 2nd book (this is the 3rd) was a book of the day before! I really enjoyed the sample of that one, and this one was no different. The books walk the line between "historical" and "fiction" incredibly well and it feels like a Game of Thrones that's based on real life! I'll definitely pick this up and read it sometime.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 5:48 pm by CataclysmicKnight.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, I found it well written. However, I thought that a lot of information (specially names) was given in the first few pages. The book has a favorable onlinebookclub review. I did not come across any major grammatical errors. Since I do not read the genre usually, I will not be reading the book further.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 7:41 pm by AA1495.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book I may have considered it if it were not for the first ten program. This genre of novel appeals to me and it's already something I would read. After reading the first ten pages I did not change my mind. I was really drawn into the story and I was impressed by the way the author built up the story even though it was the latest in the series. Although I won't buy it today, I will mark it as yes below as, when I have the time, I will start the series. The official OBC review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 8:02 pm by Scerakor.

classicaltwist

Without sampling the first ten pages, I would have read this book eventually. It's not something I would buy immediately because the blurb says this is a third book in the series. It would be nice if that was indicated in the title. And if it's something that can be read as a standalone novel, it would be nice to indicate that as well. That being said, the blurb was written fantastically. It definitely drew me in, and I immediately googled it to see if this was based on a real historical figure. And yes, it is, and the author is a historian. All of those things made me want to read the book.

Reading the sample changed my mind slightly. The writing is decent. It does seem to be professionally edited. However, I didn't find the writing particularly compelling. For such a great sounding epic, the writing felt a little lackluster. A minor thing I didn't like was how only part of the sentence at the beginning of the chapter is in all caps. It would make sense to me if the first word was in all caps or if the whole sentence was in all caps, but only using all caps for part of it was strange, and that bothered me a little. All that being said, as I got closer to the end of the sample, the story did begin to suck me in so while I won't be buying this book anytime soon, it's something I'll consider buying in the future.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 8:40 pm by classicaltwist.

Vermont Reviews

Today's book of the day was one that made the grade in my book. Great story, characters and excellent writing. I did purchase a copy and have added it to my 2017 reading list.
Vermont Reviews
I love historical fiction. My favorite character was Marie lady of Ibelin.

First Ten review added on May 27, 2017, at 9:17 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Amagine

I'm very biased against the book because I typically do not like this genre of fiction about soldiers or emperors in another time frame. The moment I read the book my mind instantly wandered away and I couldn't even get through the sample. I'm sure there will be many readers who will gravitate towards this book. Unfortunately, I won't be one of them.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2017, at 12:20 am by Amagine.

Miche Sora

Historical fiction is not my genre. I wouldn't have even looked at this book without reading the BotD sample. It was difficult to get through the sample because the topic didn't appeal to me, not because the writing was bad. I didn't see any typos in the first ten pages. There were so many characters that it didn't take long for me to be confused.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2017, at 3:10 am by Miche Sora.

Gravy

Historical is not something I read a lot of, so I would not have looked at this. I did notice a couple of errors: quotation marks where they shouldn't be and a misspelled word.
I enjoy the author's style, but not enough to tempt me into reading this particular trilogy. I do not plan on reading this, but would recommend it to fans of the genre and/or subject.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2017, at 9:41 am by Gravy.

Momlovesbooks

The OBC review was interesting and detailed. I enjoy historical novels and thought this would be a good read. I sampled the first few pages but had a hard time getting into it. It seems well-written and historically accurate, but I was distracted with all the characters and names. I'm sure it will appeal to many fans of this genre if they are able to sort out the intricacies. However, I won't be reading this one right now.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2017, at 11:31 am by Momlovesbooks.

Kitkat3

I really like the cover and the title. The book has wonderful reviews and the blurb briefly describes what the book is about. I probably would have sampled the book without this program. The book does appear to be professionally edited. From the OBC review, I knew that the name changes and errors would probably make me not want to read the book. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be reading the rest of the book. I normally do not like realistic medieval stories, so I don't think that this would hold my attention.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2017, at 4:18 pm by Kitkat3.

Jaime Lync

No doubt that the cover for the Envoy Of Jerusalem by Helena P. Schrader is attractive. This is the third installment in a series inspired by the life of Balian d'Ibelin, a major historical figure in 2nd century Jerusalem.The story seems to be one of war, love, politics and betrayal.The author opens this book by giving a brief summary of the previous books. Unfortunately, the introduction was a little confusing to me. There is a scene in the first ten pages of the book that brings tears to my eyes. However, the minuscule font that was employed in the sample I read also strained my eyes.The premise of this book sounds interesting and the writing seems to be well-edited so I would definitely hope to continue reading but I would refrain from reading if I have to read it typed in the minute font that was used in the Amazon.com sample.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2017, at 5:03 pm by Jaime Lync.

Kdonegan91

The cover and title caught my attention right away. However, after reading the first ten pages, I have decided this book is not for me. It did not keep my interest or make me want to read more. I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2017, at 5:12 pm by Kdonegan91.

bookowlie

The cover of the book is eye-catching and I really like the font used for the title. I found the summary a bit hard to follow, due in part to the choppy beginning with several one-sentence paragraphs. Both the sample pages and summary appear to be professionally edited. It's interesting to see the book start off with the family trees, map, and historical info in the introduction. That being said, I found the beginning pages of the story slow-paced with an overabundance of detail. Based on the sample, summary, and my personal reading preferences, I am not interested in reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on May 28, 2017, at 9:50 pm by bookowlie.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the genre, blurb, and OBC review. It's not the type of book I usually read. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be purchasing this book. The content isn't for me, and neither is the time period. I did like that the author included a list of characters and maps at the beginning. However, it just isn't my type of book. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 12:10 am by anneloretrujillo.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I thought the family trees at the beginning of the story really helped, but historical fiction just doesn't seem to be my thing. It was professionally edited. I did not read the official review.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 1:37 am by psychopathycathy.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because it doesn't seem interesting to me. Jerusalem does not seem to make me interested. I will not be reading this book because it doesn't catch my attention with the first ten pages. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 3:33 am by jungkookblog.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read/sample this book because of the genre. I'm an avid reader of historical fiction.

I will not buy the book at this time, as the price is above my eBook spending limit. Plus, I would prefer to start with the first book in the series.

The book is well-edited. I noticed no typos or grammatical errors.

I really appreciated the back story the author offered from the previous books in the series. As I started reading the first chapter, I knew immediately this is first rate historical fiction. The story is captivating from the start and I could tell the historical accuracy early on.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 4:11 am by truebookaddict.

Cjgarland89

Based on the cover and description this is not a book I would like to read. I initially thought it would be because I'm interested in the crusades, but after sampling the first ten I was wrong. The sample wasn't very interesting and my eyes sort of glazed over. The OBC review was good, but didn't change my opinion.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 7:46 am by Cjgarland89.

MarisaRose

I was really excited about sampling 'Envoy of Jerusalem' until I realized it is the third installment in a series. I never start a series at the end; for that reason, I wouldn't buy this book. After sampling the first ten pages, I was impressed with the amount of information the author adds to the beginning, including a cast of characters and detailed map. Once the story started, I enjoyed the writing as well. The author does a great job immersing the reader in the story and setting right away. I didn't notice any grammatical errors. I'm going to go back and read the sample of the first book in this series, but for now, I won't be buying this book, only because it's not the first book.

First Ten review added on May 29, 2017, at 7:57 am by MarisaRose.

Total ~ 14%

Envoy of Jerusalem earned a score of 14%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 14% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Envoy of Jerusalem