Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.6 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on January 22, 2017, at 4:48 am by LivreAmour217.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781540413536

Fused: A memoir of childhood OCD and adult obsession

by Dr James Manning

The First Ten

Because Fused was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

James Craft

I love great first person books, and I think it is awesome that you did this on your birthday! Great present for yourself! The cover for this book is interesting, and the first opening pages were quite enticing and managed to hook my interest. I love reading about research into new medicine and technology, and OCD research fascinates me. I will definitely be reading further into this volume after these first pages and seeing what else the author has available. Thanks!

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 10:02 am by James Craft.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as it isn't a book that I normally gravitate to. The cover isn't very appealing and the blurb includes too many reviews instead of giving a concise info about the book. There weren’t any customer reviews, but the official review was very convincing. The author started with giving an interesting background about OCD and talking about his childhood, but it isn't something that interests me right now. I got the book but won't read it at this time, as I don't read memoirs.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 10:13 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

bookowlie

The cover is artistic and eye-catching, although the subject matter is not something I am too interested in reading about. I didn't care for the Amazon blurb as there is no summary listed at all. Instead, there is a long, rambling series of reviews about the book. It would have been better for the author to give a summary of the book and then include one or two short review excerpts. The sample pages are well written, but there is too much clinical info for my taste. Although the OBC reviewer gave this book a glowing review, I am going to take a pass on it due to my reading preferences.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 10:21 am by bookowlie.

AA1495

I have always wanted to know more about OCD. If I hadn't sampled this book, I may not have chosen it over the many others on the subject. Having read the sample, I liked how the author describes his own experiences. However, some parts of the sample seemed very technical. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. I want to know more about the subject and hence, I think I will read the book further.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 11:50 am by AA1495.

ashley_claire

I don't read memoirs very often but this one has caught my attention. The topic of OCD interests me and I think the cover is nicely done and looks professional. The first ten pages sets up the childhood backstory of the author. I liked the writing and found that it was easy to read. I think reading about the author's personal experience with OCD will be a unique experience because he also writes from the point of view of a psychologist. I look forward to learning more about the author and finishing the memoir.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 12:58 pm by ashley_claire.

CataclysmicKnight

Before I started on this book I thought OCD was just a disorder that caused people to repeat certain actions. When people talked about their being "a little OCD" because they wash their hands a particular way or usually knock with a certain pattern I totally got it. However, even just these ten pages into this book I've learned that the repeated actions are a result of OCD, not the OCD itself. The first chapter, diving into the author's life, is also interesting and written well so far. While I'm not sure when I'll read it, I'm certainly interested in learning more and the book was free!

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 1:18 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

CrescentMoon

I generally don't read nonfiction or memoirs but this book sounds really interesting after reading the blurb. I majored in psychology in college so psychopathology has always been a very interesting subject for me. After reading the first ten pages, I am intrigued by the topic that I do want to continue reading this eventually.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 2:41 pm by CrescentMoon.

Scerakor

The blurbs, cover, and official review of this book were extremely well done and served to pique my interest in this book. I probably would have considered picking this one up on these alone as I believe it is important to be as informed as possible about those around you. Reading this the first ten pages confirmed for me that it is very well written and edited. Even within the first few pages the author gains your trust, shows you they are knowledgeable, and even explains complex concepts with astute examples. Before sampling this book I read the excellent OBC review.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 3:33 pm by Scerakor.

SandraTWP-BRW

The cover of the book is clever, balanced, and well structured. I wish the subtitle was slightly easier to read. Although I generally am drawn to self-help books, I'm not particularly interested in the topic of OCD. The cover is intriguing, with its small figure barely visible, and the title featuring the fragmented, windowpane motif.

The excerpt was fascinating. The Preface and Introduction were helpful to give scientific context, and to establish the author as a professional expert, not just someone who experienced OCD. The first chapter was well written and reads nearly as fiction, it's a story so well told. This made me doubly appreciate the Preface and Introduction.

Overall, I found the book to be well edited. The only thing I might suggest is a bit of context for certain turns of phrase. "Whiter than white" and "furore" are not terms common in U.S. English, and if the book is to be marketed on the U.S. sites, it might be helpful to adjust the terms.

I plan to eventually read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 4:00 pm by SandraTWP-BRW.

jamesabr

This book's first ten pages were an intriguing look into the life of Dr. James Manning as a child. I could have lived without the depictions of children being tricked into sex with older people ("Big Michael"), but I understand the necessity of the scene in context with the rest of the book. If I were not a part of the First Ten Program, I would have sampled the book due to the positive Online Book Club review of it. I understand, through only the first ten pages, why the book received 4 out of 4 stars. I will definitely purchase and read the book. There were no typos or grammatical errors

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 4:07 pm by jamesabr.

Shelle

This book looks very interesting and I was glad to get to sample it. I liked it from the start as Dr. Manning wrote about he was conflicted about sharing his story. His childhood definitely sounds stressful and it was easy to see how his OCD may have developed. I think this will be a very educational book. The book appears to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 4:08 pm by Shelle.

Kdonegan91

This book caught my attention right away. The cover is eye-catching and the title is unique. I have been diagnosed with social anxiety and OCD. I've only read the sample this far but I can relate to the author in so many ways. I am excited to read more because the author makes me feel like I'm not alone or crazy. I am going to suggest that my husband read this also so he can understand my OCD. Thank you so much for writing this book. You have really put this horrible confusing disorder into easy to understand format.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 4:52 pm by Kdonegan91.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I think the cover of this book is cool. The blurb is adequately written. After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this novel is easy-to-read and has a nice tone. It seems professionally edited and well-written. I have always found anything relating to OCD interesting, therefore I look forward to reading this novel.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 6:07 pm by Sarah_Khan.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read this book. Although I typically do not read memoirs, the premise for this is extremely interesting, especially in a world where people take OCD as a joke. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The writing was engaging and I especially loved how the author explained the meaning behind their title. It was professionally edited and the official review helped me want to read it even more.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 8:31 pm by psychopathycathy.

Vermont Reviews

I had to download today's choice for book of the day. I have a couple of friends who have ocd. I was impressed with the preview of the book. I think Dr. James Manning has done a great job of presenting the facts about ocd. Excellent.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 11:03 pm by Vermont Reviews.

ananya92

This book comes with excellent credentials of the author and an encouraging review; therefore I was pretty curious to read this one. The author has detailed the mental ailment, i.e. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder pretty extensively. Since, its an autobiographical account, it makes the book even more engaging. From the sample, it seems that the book has been edited properly. The author's writing style, apart from being quite personalized, provides sufficient medical context to the subject. Although I was quite impressed with the book, at present I don't think I'll indulge in a book of this serious nature.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 2:47 am by ananya92.

L_Therese

The OBC review for this book really capitalized on elements that appeal to me within this genre. It portrayed the book as both informative and inspirational, so as I approached the first ten pages, I was already viewing the book favorably. During those ten pages, the author was able to give a very effective illustration of his experiences related to his diagnosis. At that point, I knew I wanted to finish the book to find out what else I can learn from him.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 11:32 am by L_Therese.

hsimone

Based on the cover, title, genre, and on the positive OBC review, I most likely would have sampled this read. I will say that I think the blurb is a lengthy, but the topic is still interesting. Based on what I read, the book could use a little bit more editing. For instance, the phrase "So at the weekend..." is a bit awkward; perhaps, "So, on weekends..." would be better. I like how honest the author is during the first few pages of this read. He doesn't seem to worried of showing his "bullying" side toward his younger brother. This gives the a more realistic sense. However, so far, in the read, it makes me feel very sad and a bit disturbed with all the abuse that has happened. Though I appreciate the author sharing his story, I don't see myself finishing this read because it makes me have negative feelings and I don't like to read books that make me feel this way.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 3:23 pm by hsimone.

chocomeiske

An interesting topic to say the least but if not for the program, I wouldn't have read a sample. I found the sample to be clear, concise and informative and I imagine this would be helpful to those who suffer from OCD and their family and friends. I found it to be well-edited.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 3:51 pm by chocomeiske.

Bfrisco

I don't know that I would have looked into this book based on the title alone, but the cover was compelling enough to catch my attention. I wish the description didn't begin with praise for the book. I would have liked to read a summary first. That being said, once I read the summary and the onlinebookclub review, I was interested in reading this book. After reading the summary, I am sure I'm going to finish reading this book. I didn't see any grammatical issues in what I've read so far, but I noticed that the reviewer mentioned some issues, so perhaps they show up later in the book. I really appreciated how the author took OCD and made it personal, even describing intrusive thoughts in a way that would make sense to people who haven't experienced OCD. As someone with family diagnosed with OCD and a few OCD tendencies (at below diagnosable levels) myself, I really appreciate this book.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 5:01 pm by Bfrisco.

Gravy

Memoirs are one of my favorite things to read, so I would've looked at this. The subject matter also would have interested me, however, the information on Amazon didn't offer much insight. There really was no basic description, which always puts me off.
I didn't notice any errors, but wasn't the biggest fan of the author's style. I like the cover, and it fits with what I know of the book.
I can't say I intend to read this, mostly because of the author's style, and personal preferences.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 6:53 pm by Gravy.

mratdegraff91

The novel has a beautiful cover, and the summary sounds interesting. The OnlineBookClub review is what made me extremely interested in reading the book. The author mentioned several things that would be helpful, and I am delighted that the book also includes a workbook section for self-practice. In sampling the book, I did not observe grammatical errors and enjoyed how organized the book seemed to be. I am curious to see what else the author has to share and will be reading the book in its entirety.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 7:47 pm by mratdegraff91.

Momlovesbooks

The title of the book and the description caught my eye. Most people know someone who deals with this issue. I read the sample and found it very intriguing, as it was a psychologist who suffers from OCD himself. I downloaded the book and read it in one night. Thank you to the author for providing this to us.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 8:47 pm by Momlovesbooks.

klbradley

It's always so nice to see non fiction books that actually serve a purpose, and often, that people can relate to. It takes a lot of courage for the author to tell a real life story such as this one. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to suffer from OCD. Although I'm not generally a fan of non fiction, I still plan to download this one and give it a chance.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 10:30 pm by klbradley.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would have sampled this book based on the title, genre, blurb and OBC review. I have a background in psychology, so the concept seemed really interesting to me. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I wasn't a fan of the style. It was a little dry for me. I could tell that it was written as a memoir, which didn't really interest me. The book did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 11:29 pm by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because I am not really interested in the book, but I think that many other people would enjoy this. I am not going to be reading this book because there is too many words that are too bulky and makes me want to stop reading the book. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 22, 2017, at 1:35 am by jungkookblog.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would not have chosen to read this book, as I do not usually read memoir/self-help type books that do not pertain to me or my situation.

The book was free so I did download, and I actually do plan on reading the whole book eventually because I learned things about OCD in just the first ten pages that I did not know.

The book seems professionally edited. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors.

I really liked the author's conversational tone. Also, his compassion and care for others really shined through in the writing. I was surprised to find out that OCD is much more than just purely compulsive behavior. With a son who has ADHD and anxiety, after reading this, I now feel that I have noticed OCD characteristics in him as well. I'm going to talk to him about this book and ask him if he often feels the way the author describes in the Introduction.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on March 22, 2017, at 6:26 am by truebookaddict.

Cjgarland89

Having dealt with a mild form of OCD myself I was immediately interested in this book. The author provides some great information about the disorder and while there are some more official things they speak about, it's very informative. It's also great to see someone else's experience with it as well. I didn't see any errors and the OBC review was helpful in determining my interest in the book. I will be finishing this one.

First Ten review added on March 22, 2017, at 6:55 am by Cjgarland89.

MarisaRose

When I first saw the cover for "Fused," I wasn't sure what to think, but I was intrigued enough to want to learn more about what the topic of the book is. After reading the glowing OBC review, I decided I had to sample "Fused." I don't know much about OCD and I thought reading from a person who has experience with the disorder would be enlightening. After sampling the first ten pages, I am hooked. The author's first hand knowledge of living with OCD really adds to the narrative. The portion I sampled (which was mostly just the introduction) made me want to learn more; OCD is really a fascinating subject. I downloaded the rest of the book and will be finishing it when time allows.

First Ten review added on March 22, 2017, at 7:48 am by MarisaRose.

Total ~ 72%

This book earned a score of 72%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 72% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Fused in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Fused in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

LivreAmour217

4-Star Shelf

Jories

Want To Read Shelf

Darian1

Want To Read Shelf

Cyndel Maria

Want To Read Shelf

Marky

Want To Read Shelf

mindyg123

Want To Read Shelf