Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 2.8 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on January 15, 2017, at 12:18 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Melhara

by Jocelyn Tollefson

The First Ten

Because Melhara was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I may have sampled the book on my own, as I love dark fantasy. I love the cover and find the blurb concise. The official review had me more hooked, though. The sample started good, with a flashback into the past, then moving on to the present. I was surprised when Alexis moved the car, and a bit confused. No explanation was given, at least at that point, more the pity. The sample was well written, and the premise sure sounds unique. I won't buy the book at this time though, as I have too many books waiting for me as it is. Otherwise, I would give the book a try based on the sample.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 10:34 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

James Craft

Seems like a pretty interesting book. It got a 3 out of 4 from OBC but that didn't really hurt it in my estimation because it still seems like a good book. The cover is interesting, and the only real content concern I have is the sex scenes, though the review states that they aren't very graphic so this doesn't seem way too bad. All in all, this one looks like an interesting read, but I simply don't have time to add it to my list and spend more time with it.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 11:49 am by James Craft.

ashley_claire

I read the OBC review for this book and was immediately drawn to the premise. A normal, everyday woman who is suddenly forced to join ranks with a demon to help him wreak havoc on the world sounds like a compelling read that I'd be interested in. The book is well written and moves along at a pleasing pace. Honestly the biggest draw of this book for me is Kyra's downward spiral and how in the world she gets so attached to the demon that she wants to remain with him. I will continue reading this book because I just have to know how this plays out.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 12:06 pm by ashley_claire.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Vermont Reviews

Today's choice for book of the day Melhara by Jocelyn Tollefson shows the readers what secret Lyra Parker is hiding. When she leaves to go on vacation with her husband and son, she is almost captured by two men. I enjoyed the preview. I would have bought the book based on the preview. At this time my reading schedule is overbooked. Therefore I will not be downloading the book.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 1:34 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I think I would pick this book up out of curiosity because it sounds really interesting. However, after reading the first ten pages I don't think I would read the rest mostly because I actually have read a similar book to this before. It was about a witch who had a certain amount of spells to cast in a limited amount of time but I am looking for more original reads.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 1:43 pm by CrescentMoon.

Sarah_Khan

The cover art of this novel is definitely appealing to the eyes. It immediately makes me want to pick up the book and learn more. I thought the blurb did an excellent job of making me excited to start reading.
After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this novel is well-written and professionally edited. Unfortunately, this is part of a series and I do not have the time to commit to a series right now, therefore I do not intend to purchase this novel today.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 1:51 pm by Sarah_Khan.

jamesabr

The first ten pages set the stage for this book nicely. The exposition into Kyra's powers as a witch and the foreshadowed demon's involvement didn't seem forced on me as a reader. If I were not a part of this program, I would have likely sampled this book due to the Online Book Club Review of it as well as the interesting blurb it received on Facebook. For me, the best part was the first page because I initially believed that I was going to be forced headfirst into a story that didn't flow. This wasn't the case, however, and I will purchase this book and read it. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 4:46 pm by jamesabr.

SandraTWP-BRW

The cover of this book is amazing. The layout, the juxtaposition of colors, and the placement of objects (including the title) are super effective.

I'll say this: I'm not a fan of horror, and I actually found the blurb kind of scary. It was encouraging to read the great comments from other readers.

I did not find the first ten pages as scary as I expected. Instead, I felt a real empathy for the teen Kyra. It must be unspeakably unnerving to have those dreams and powers manifesting without any explanation. When we jump forward in time, Kyra's clearly much more comfortable with who she is, and very relatable as just another modern day woman. This was pretty nice... even with the foreboding feelings she and her friend are having.

I think I'm going to skip this one. As likable as Kyra seems, the premise still seems too scary for me to personally enjoy.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 4:50 pm by SandraTWP-BRW.

hsimone

The cover is a bit intimidating, the title is confusing, there are not many reviews (since this is a new release), but the blurb and genre do interest me. Overall, without this program, I would not have sampled this read. Based on what I read, the book does seem to professionally edited. The beginning is very gripping; a young girl having a recurring dream about angels and demons is unique. The author is making me very curious about if this demon that is now after Kyra in her dreams is tracking her down in real life. Overall, I'm hooked, and I do plan on purchasing this read today and reading it eventually.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 5:40 pm by hsimone.

bookowlie

The Amazon summary is well written and interesting, and the cover is very stylish. The beginning pages appear to be edited well and have a nice flow. I also read the Official Review which was very positive. That being said, I don't care for the Dark Fantasy genre, especially stories about witches, so I am not interested in reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 6:48 pm by bookowlie.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book. The ending of the blurb pulled me in especially, and I love dark fantasy. After reading the sample I have not changed my mind. I thought the writing was engaging and straightforward. I did feel a bit of disconnect with the characters (perhaps because of age), but hopefully this will change as the book goes on. I read the official review and it didn't alter my opinion. The book was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 7:03 pm by psychopathycathy.

Bfrisco

I would possibly have looked into this book a little further if it wasn't a book of the day, but the cover was a little confusing for me. Based on the preview, I would not have continued reading this book. It seemed professionally edited, but the writing itself was difficult to follow. The onlinebookclub review helped me to understand what to expect, and honestly, it made the book sound more appealing than the preview, because I understood the direction the book was taking. I didn't like how the beginning was so abrupt. I wish the author had slowed the pace down just a little. The concept and the story itself sounds like it could be interesting, but I just wasn't drawn in by the preview.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 9:05 pm by Bfrisco.

Gravy

I would love the cover if it weren't quite so cartoonish, but I still like it, and it fits brilliantly.
I didn't notice any errors. I would be more likely to read it if the style were more detailed, but this style is popular enough. I would suggest it to those who like fun stories that are dialogue-driven. My reading tastes do not coincide with this style at this time, so I do not see myself continuing with this.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2017, at 5:31 am by Gravy.

ananya92

This book has a refreshing plot line featuring a witch in her thirties, who is married and a mother (something which is different from other novels in this genre).The sample was quite interesting, with its protagonist Kyra haunted by bad dreams and premonition of something evil about to happen. From the description and the official review, it is clear that Kyra will be forced to join hands with the devil to save her family and, will be unwittingly enchanted by his evil plans. Though the book seems quite promising, based on its well edited sample and encouraging review, I think I'll give it a pass because I find it difficult to engage with books in the fantasy genre where the characters are not well developed and the reader can't gun for the central figure wholeheartedly.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2017, at 7:53 am by ananya92.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book without this program. The genre isn't one that I usually like. Reading the blurb also had me thinking that it wasn't my type of book. Witches just aren't my thing. I did like the cover and title. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I liked the use of dialogue. There was a bit of humor, which was nice, but the content isn't for me. The book did seem to be professionally edited. There were a few sentences, however, that I thought the wording could have been clearer on.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2017, at 11:05 am by anneloretrujillo.

MarisaRose

Prior to reading "Melhara" I was intrigued by the cover as well as the mostly positive reviews. I like the theme and genre of this book. After sampling the first ten pages, I can honestly say I want to read more! The writing style is solid and the pacing is quick. I have many questions after reading the sample and I can't wait to find out what happens to the main character! I did not notice any major grammatical errors in the sample. I will gladly be down loading and finishing this book.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2017, at 5:20 pm by MarisaRose.

Shelle

The cover of this book looks pretty scary and I wasn't sure what to expect so I'm glad I got to sample it. Kyra seems pretty ordinary, but her dreams are frightening and probably are foreshadowing demonic things to come. I liked the main character and her sister and best friend well enough, although they seem a bit shallow and flat. I don't usually choose books about demons and supernatural darkness, so I probably wouldn't continue this one, although it's a hot genre now and others would probably really like it.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2017, at 6:47 pm by Shelle.

ZenaLei7

The sample was pretty interesting but it was not enough to get me to read the whole book. I typically do like this genre but the book did not contain enough suspense for me to read the entire book. I did not notice any major grammatical errors either.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2017, at 9:22 pm by ZenaLei7.

Momlovesbooks

The cover of this book implied a creepy, demon character. Normally, I'm not a fan of books with witches or demons. However, the review was interesting. I read the first few pages and found it to be an attention grabber. It appeared to be well written and the characters are unique. However, the demon aspect still turned me off. I won't be reading this one.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2017, at 10:39 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Kdonegan91

The cover and title did not interest me. After reading the first ten pages, my perspective has not changed. I simply do not enjoy sci-fi books. Also, the storyline is not my cup of tea. Therefore, I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2017, at 11:06 pm by Kdonegan91.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, I liked how the author introduced the characters and described their thoughts. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. While the sample was interesting and I'm sure others would enjoy reading the book, I do not think I will read this book further.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2017, at 11:17 pm by AA1495.

Cjgarland89

Right away I didn't think I would be interested in this book after reading the OBC review. It talks about witches and demons, which I am not really into reading books about. The cover revealed the same theme, and didn't draw me in either. After sampling my opinion is confirmed that this book just is not for me. I couldn't connect with the characters and it just seemed boring for me.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 12:09 am by Cjgarland89.

L_Therese

Witches, demons, and magic aren't really my favorites, so I probably would not have chosen to read this book without this program. The review said some wonderful things about the pace of the plot and the overall excitement, but I still had doubts as I read the sample. As I was reading, I found the characters engaging, but despite the charming informality of the dialogue, I wasn't really connecting with the characters. I won't be finishing the book.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 12:26 am by L_Therese.

jungkookblog

I think I will be reading this book because witches and demons combined create a great story about mystery and such. I am going to be reading this book because of the first ten pages. It has dragged me in with all the details. It showed a lot of the main characters emotion, and I really like that. It seems professionally edited. I did not see any review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 3:08 am by jungkookblog.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I probably would have chosen to read this based on the genre. I like reading scifi/fantasy novels and this one sounded like it had a horror/dystopian aspect which is even better.

I was on the fence about buying this one because the price is above my eBook spending limit. However, after reading the first ten, reading the review on Amazon, the OBC review and also that the author is donating a portion of the price to charity, I decided to buy the book. I will read the whole book eventually.

This book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

Since the first ten pages is the prologue, all I can say is I like how the author set up Kyra's story. She is definitely experiencing some scary situations, and learning she has powers of her own. After reading in the review on Amazon that this book has a new twist on how the world ends, I'm definitely interested in finding out what that twist is.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 5:01 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 28%

This book earned a score of 28%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 28% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Melhara in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Melhara in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

karatheredhead

Want To Read Shelf

CataclysmicKnight

3-Star Shelf

Majikalone

Currently Reading Shelf

uk8971

3-Star Shelf

hsimone

2-Star Shelf