Cover for Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)

The First Ten Feedback for Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)

Because Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected) was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry and why expert book marketers like Scott Hughes are in such high demand.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as it isn't the sort of book I normally gravitate to. The cover and the blurb aren’t very appealing. The sample started with a long-winded monologue, in which the protagonist whined and reflected about his miserable life. Not only it didn't endear him to me, it also made the reading a bit tedious. Things improved afterward, but not enough to keep my interest. I didn't notice any major errors, but the overuse of "I" broke the flow of the writing. I won't read the book, as the sample didn't interest me enough to want to continue reading.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 12:56 pm by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

ZenaLei7

Since the book is free, I will probably finish reading the book. I found the first ten pages to be interesting and it is also a short read for me. The book cover and title has nothing special about it, but I liked the sample. While reading the sample, I didn't notice any major grammatical errors either.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 1:08 pm by ZenaLei7.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

chocomeiske

What an awful cover! The premise seems to hint at the idea of soulmates which is interesting. I read the first 10 pages and I didn't like it at all. I found the writing to be offputting in its detachment and I would never read this book.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 2:13 pm by chocomeiske.

Sarah_Khan

I think the cover of this book looks unprofessional. The plot seems interesting but after reading a few pages, I was disappointed. The writing does not flow and it comes off as confusing. I do not intend to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 2:14 pm by Sarah_Khan.

DDunstock

I was really intrigued by the book blurb - basically detailing an idea that soulmates exist and what exactly will occur if linear paths intersect. Sounds very interesting and unlike what I normally read! I will say that the cover is doing nothing special for me, though.
The first ten pages really confused me and left me with a sad feeling. The narrator wants to die, so the ideas aren't very uplifting. I also didn't find the prose particularly compelling. I didn't note any typos, but did find the grammar a bit off. I would probably not read this book.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 2:25 pm by DDunstock.

Izesicle

The cover of the book was unappealing to me. The complete author's name was not even readable. Though it was a bit entertaining to figure out how many people are actually in the cover photo like it was an abstract work of art, I'm not sure if that was intentional and if it was relevant to the book. Nevertheless, I read a sample because of the author's previous awards. I like that the book has poetic turns and a lyrical cadence at times. Because of that, I can definitely see why his previous work has won awards. I did not notice any distracting typos or grammar errors. The story was a little confusing. In the parts where the author is talking to somebody else, there is no indication on who is saying what. Because of the negative points of the book, I will not read it.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 3:25 pm by Izesicle.

micoleon13

I really don't like this cover page or the title. It seems disjointed and somewhat unprofessional. I wouldn't pick this book from this. The Onlinebookclub review was very complementary, although it did mention that it has been translated from spanish. I often find translated books lack the same flow of writing. The pages which I read appeared to be well edited, although there were very long paragraphs. I don't like this author's style of writing and it was immediately quite depressing. I would not read this book. I would recommend redoing the cover page to something more appealing.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 4:00 pm by micoleon13.

CrescentMoon

This book definitely sounds like a unique and different read which is refreshing from all the similar stories that are out there. I don't think this particular genre is for me though. I also am just not personally that interested in the topic either so I don't think this book is for me.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 4:05 pm by CrescentMoon.

va2016

It looks like the story is about creating a character called 'Raquel' by an author who is very disturbed by the happenings of the world. From the beginning of the story itself, the narration is kind of awkward, and I am feeling it difficult to read. I am skipping this book. Thanks.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 4:51 pm by va2016.

BunnySTx

After reading the first ten pages of, Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected) by Mois Benarroch, I have decided that I will not be finishing this book. Right from the beginning the cover of the book, for me, was not appealing at all. It doesn't fit what I think of when it comes to a fantasy romance novel. This book, for me, is just not an engaging read. I look for a book that will interest me from the beginning, but this book fails to do that. Right from the start, it feels like we are just meandering through the author's thoughts. I don't know where this story is going and that is off putting for me. From what I have read this book does not appear to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review, but the review did not influence me to finish this book.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 5:22 pm by BunnySTx.

Lennycat

Had I not read the first ten pages as a part of this program, I probably would not choose to read this book. I read the review on OnlineBookClub.org and it was very thorough and interesting. I like the premise of being able to create another self, a person who is more than you, that can achieve and be more accepted. The book cover is not very interesting. I definitely think it should be redone. I did not find any technical or grammatical errors in the sample. The author is interesting, but I'm generally not into books like this. It's a bit too introspective for me. After reading the first ten pages, I would still not choose to read this book. However, I think the author is brilliant.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 8:06 pm by Lennycat.

Scerakor

From the cover, blurb, and review of this book, I proabably would not have picked it up. It really doesn't sound like something I would enjoy. Unfortunately, I didn't change my mind after reading the first ten pages. Like the last book I read by the author, I was utterly confused within the first few pages on what was real and what was part of the book. The writing style really doesn't sing to my interest so I will pass on this one; I will not be reading the rest of this book. It does, however, seem well edited from what I can see.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 8:55 pm by Scerakor.

CataclysmicKnight

I've read a few reviews of this one on Online Book Club before of several of Mois's books, and I was always curious about reading one myself. As such, I was pretty excited about getting one for free! I don't think this one is for me though, it seems overly heavy and dry for what it is so far. I don't doubt it'll get more interesting, but I don't have any desire to read any further.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 9:34 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Vermont Reviews

Today's choice for book of the day Raquel Says Something Entirely Unexpected by Mois Benarroch shows the reader characters who are created to live, and do all the things that readers never expected them to do. They come from places that we may or may not have heard about before or
May never hear about again. Mois Benarroch knows how to build a story as well as develop characters who have something to say. I did download today's choice for book of the day and plan to finish the book.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 9:58 pm by Vermont Reviews.

bookowlie

I found the summary blurb hard to follow, even though it seems to be professionally edited. The premise of the book might be appealing to some readers, but it's not something I am interested in reading about. The writing style in the sample pages is a bit rambling and the subject matter is not my cup of tea. I am not interested in reading the rest of this book due to my personal reading tastes, although the concept is original.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 10:56 pm by bookowlie.

Kdonegan91

By cover alone, I was not interested in the book. It looks like it was thrown together rather quickly, and it seems like it was not professionally created. After reading the first ten pages and the OBC review, I lost further interest. I am not a fan of the storyline described by the review. Also, I did not enjoy the author's style of writing while reading the sample. I will not finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 10:58 pm by Kdonegan91.

Snowflake

I don't really like the cover or the title font for this book. It really turns me away from this book. The actual title is interesting though. The OBC review gave a good understanding of the book and I understand more about the book as a whole. It has helped me be more interested in the novel. I did not notice any obvious typos or grammar errors in the first ten pages. I plan to read the rest of this book because it sounds like it gives an interesting cultural perspective that I am not familiar with.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 11:05 pm by Snowflake.

Naval Aulakh

"Raquel Says" is a romance novel. The author has expressed his emotions very well. After reading it's review on OnlineBookClub, I decided to read the sample of the book. But, I did not enjoy reading the sample. The story did not seem clear and I got confused in understanding it. Moreover, I did not like the cover of the book. It is very simple and lacks depth.

Despite a good formation, the book needs improvement in some sections. I would not read the book further.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2017, at 11:54 pm by Naval Aulakh.

dhomespot

Reading the first ten pages did not change my mind about not wanting this book. It is only because I rarely read these type of stories. I did not find any errors and the book seems to be professionally edited. The official review did make the story seem more interesting.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2017, at 12:12 am by dhomespot.

L_Therese

At first glance, I was not impressed. The cover seemed clumsily put together, and the title told me little about what the book would reveal. Looking further, the plot blurb on Amazon didn't make much sense to me. As I read the first ten pages, the quality of writing was better than I expected, but I was uncertain what the plot would be. The entire first chapter seemed like an introduction. I don't want to finish.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2017, at 1:09 am by L_Therese.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would not have read the book. The cover is a bit unimpressive. After reading the sample I have changed my mind. It seems like a quick read and I liked how the author seemed to talk directly about the author. The official review commented on this as well as a "metaphysical memoir" and I found that idea very interesting. The sample was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2017, at 2:25 am by psychopathycathy.

Christina Rose

If I had not sampled the first ten pages as part of this project, it is unlikely that I would have sampled or read this book on my own. The cover and title are not appealing to me. There is nothing that really jumps out to demand my attention. The reviews that I read, including the one featured from OnlineBookClub, did speak positively of this book, but only confirmed that it was not a book that would interest me. From what I read of the book, I did not spot any editing issues. I did like the poetic language used by the author, but reading the sample did not change my mind as far as me having no desire to read this book. It is just simply not for me.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2017, at 3:38 am by Christina Rose.

Kitkat3

The title and cover could be improved. The blurb makes me a little interested, but there are not any customer reviews yet. I would not have sampled this book without this program. The OnlineBookClub review was really helpful in letting me know what the book is about. I like that it is more than a romance and deals with some complex issues with identity and culture. The book is professionally edited. After reading the first ten pages, I am really curious to find out what happens, so I will be reading the rest.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2017, at 3:41 am by Kitkat3.

ButterscotchCherrie

I would not have chosen to sample or read this book based on the title, description or customer reviews, though the cover is attractive. This is because I know that this writer's work can be unclear. I was pleasantly surprised by the first ten pages, and will read the whole book because I'm hooked. I did not spot any errors in the sample, so this appears to have been edited to professional standards. What appealed most was the pithy expose of midlife panic; the title of the book quoted at the start, "I Almost Like the Life I Have", says it all to those of us who have been there - and then a supernatural force whisks the narrator off in a fresh direction. With regards to room for improvement, part of the opening passage was in danger of becoming obsessively repetitive. I have seen one or two OnlineBookClub reviews of this work.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2017, at 4:15 am by ButterscotchCherrie.

ananya92

The book seems to have an interesting concept, albeit slightly confusing one. I found the description of the book slightly misleading, but the review was more helpful in pointing out what to expect from this book. The book seems to be edited properly. The idea of finding that one person, or that one feeling which is missing from life, after so many years seems intriguing. However, the sample was not engaging enough to hold my interest for the length of the book. Therefore, I'll skip this one for now.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2017, at 11:00 am by ananya92.

Gravy

There were errors with the quotes just prior to the first part of "the creation of Raquel". Lack of spaces between periods and the following sentence. However, I found no errors after that.
This isn't something I would normally look at. I actually like the way the creation of Raquel is written. It's interesting and made me care about the character. I wish I could have seen what, if anything, changed past that first part. I found the translation (which I have doubted the quality of when sampling other works by this author) to be much better.
Because this isn't my typical read I'm going to pass on it, but would probably recommend it for the right reader.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2017, at 1:21 pm by Gravy.

Shelle

I know the saying of "don't judge a book by its cover" and try to follow it, but I have to say this cover did no favors for the book. It looked unprofessional and I went into reading the sample thinking it would be unprofessional too. When I actually read the sample, I spent the entire time confused. Did I miss a few pages? Is this book part of series and other book should be read first? None of it made sense to me and I don't think I'll be continuing.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2017, at 3:35 pm by Shelle.

jwalker73

This is not a book I would have chosen to read. To me, the cover looks cheap and does little to entice the imagination. The blurb on the book did not excite me and, despite well-written reviews, I remained confused about this book’s storyline. The first ten pages of this book were quite difficult to read. I found there was a lot of unfamiliar names and terms to try to understand and this, in conjunction with attempting to keep up with a somewhat complex theme, rapidly made me lose interest. The pessimistic nature of the character in the opening chapter did little to endear me to this protagonist. If I was not required to read all ten pages, I would have put the book down by the end of the first chapter. The second chapter was more engaging and put the first into perspective but, by this stage, I had virtually made my mind up about this book. I do not intend to continue reading this book.

First Ten review added on August 8, 2017, at 9:54 pm by jwalker73.

Miche Sora

This is a strange book. Normally that's not an issue, but I have read another book by this author that was obviously translated from Spanish and not well at that. It was so full errors that I couldn't finish it, and likely that colors my view of this book as well.

First Ten review added on August 9, 2017, at 1:49 am by Miche Sora.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book based on the OBC review. The story of the two characters' interactions seemed interesting even though the genre isn't what I normally read. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. The first chapter got to be too long, and it lost my interest. I understood it better after the second chapter, but it had already lost me. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on August 9, 2017, at 1:51 am by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

When I first see the cover, I would not read it because it seems like the cover was cropped from something and pasted onto this cover. I will not be reading this book because the first ten pages are very confusing. I'm not sure what the author is trying to point out in the book. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on August 9, 2017, at 2:43 am by jungkookblog.

truebookaddict

I probably would not have chosen to read this book had it not been for this program. I found the synopsis confusing and then became even more confused upon reading the OBC review (and I'm not easily confused). I do know that I liked the author's style of writing, but it will definitely take more than ten pages to determine if I will like this or not. So, at this point I'm going to say no, I will not read the whole book (the book was free so I did download it and I could change my mind in future). The editing is good. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on August 9, 2017, at 3:58 am by truebookaddict.

Cjgarland89

Based on this cover I wasn't at all interested in the book. After reading the OBC review I was a little confused as the cover doesn't fit the book seemingly at all, and it just doesn't sound good. The genre isn't one of my favorites, and although the OBC review gave praise for this, I can't. The sample wasn't too good, therefore I won't be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on August 9, 2017, at 6:59 am by Cjgarland89.

MarisaRose

'Raquel Says' is not a book I would choose to read. Although the premise sounds unique and intriguing, I've read a lot of OBC reviews that mention overwhelming grammatical errors and an overly confusing narrative; for those reasons, I'd steer clear of this one. After sampling the first ten pages, the writing style is definitely unique and takes some getting used to. Once I wrapped my head around the author's style, it was easier to get through the sample. That being said, there were some aspects of the sample that I was simply confused about. The disjointed writing requires serious concentration; personally, I prefer reading books that flow smoothly and require less detailed attention. I will not be reading more of this book.

First Ten review added on August 9, 2017, at 7:36 am by MarisaRose.

hsimone

The cover is not eye-appealing while the title is too lengthy and unclear. The blurb is a bit lengthy, including the dialogue. Even though there are some positive volunteer reviews, while there are no customer reviews. Therefore, without this program, I would not have sampled this read. Based on what I read, the book could use another round of editing. For instance, the first sentence, a period would be better suited than a colon. The beginning where the character is speaking, I found too long and dull. Due to not being interested in the sample, I do not plan on reading this book.

First Ten review added on August 9, 2017, at 7:44 am by hsimone.

CarrieMe

Based on the cover and blurb, I wouldn't choose this book. I live the people of the cover, but the cutout of the woman's head is awkward. The blurb is somewhat intriguing, but didn't grab me enough to make me want to read this book. After reading the sample, I don't plan to read this book. I really liked the first chapter, and was pretty excited to read more, but the book lost me when it got to the part about Raquel. I didn't notice any mistakes though, and the book seemed professionally edited.

First Ten review added on August 9, 2017, at 9:54 am by CarrieMe.

Total ~ 17%

Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected) earned a score of 17%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 17% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)