Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.3 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on January 11, 2017, at 9:54 am by bookowlie.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

In the Fullness of Time: One Woman's Story of Growth and Empowerment

by Katherine P. Stillerman

The First Ten

Because In the Fullness of Time was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I may have sampled the book on my own as I got the first book. The cover is lovely, but the blurb is too busy and detailed. The sample was well-written and the description of the parade was well-done. However, it was too slow-paced for my taste. I won't buy the book as it didn't grab me. Also, I understood from the official review that the narrative jumps abruptly back and forth in time. I prefer a smoother sailing.

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 10:34 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

MarisaRose

I was initially intrigued by "In the Fullness of Time." I like to read historical fiction, especially those with strong female leads. After reading the synopsis, I realized this is actually the sequel to another book. I decided to sample "In the Fullness of Time" despite this, but I usually don't like to start with the second book in a series and for that reason, I would most likely not choose to continue reading this book. The beginning sample was very interesting; the author immediately sets the scene and jumps into the action. I enjoyed the pacing of the sample and didn't feel there were any slow or boring parts. I also like the writing in general; there are no noticeable errors and the writing comes across as professional. I am curious to know more abut Hattie and Alice's relationship. Though I will not continue reading this book, I enjoyed the sample enough to go back and check out the first book, "Hattie's Place." If I enjoy that book I will gladly return to "In the Fullness of Time" in the future.

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 10:48 am by MarisaRose.

James Craft

It got a good review from OBC which makes it seem worthwhile but i isn't really my style of book so I don't think I will be getting a copy. From reading opening pages this doesn't hook me but it does seem like a great story that a lot of people will enjoy. All in all, I think this is a good book about women and interesting topics but I simply won't have time to read it.

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 11:46 am by James Craft.

ashley_claire

I really like the cover for this book and the premise sounds like something I would like. In fact, I almost picked this book to do a review on, but I had a busy week coming up and didn't have a lot of time to commit to it. The positive reviews on OBC and the summary I'd read when I was looking at it to possibly review, lead me to believe this is a book I would love to get lost in. Women's suffrage is a historical fiction subject I haven't read much about but would love to learn more about it. I'm also a native South Carolinian, so that also piqued my interest. Seeing that the first ten pages were written well and helped fill in some of the backstory of the first book, I still think this is a book I would enjoy. It's definitely going on my TBR list.

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 12:52 pm by ashley_claire.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Scerakor

If not for this program, I likely would not have sampled or bought this book solely on the premise that it doesn't fit within the realms of what I would usually read. Although the book appears to be extremely well written and edited, even after reading the sample I don't think I will read the whole book. This has nothing to do with what I have read so far. I thoroughly enjoyed the way the characters quickly established themselves in the story and how they are thrown directly into the center of the suffragist cause. I also enjoyed how it didn't feel like a sequel and that you were missing out having no knowledge of the first book in the series. Despite all this, the genre and this period of historical fiction, are not the ones that interest me and solely for that reason I will likely not read it further. Before reading this sample I read one of the two official reviews on OBC.

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 1:35 pm by Scerakor.

Sarah_Khan

I like the cover and title of this novel, but I thought the blurb was a little too long. The story itself is interesting. After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this book seems professionally edited and very well-written. I like that there are strong, likable female characters. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to read this now, but I can definitely see how fans of historical-fiction might enjoy this novel.

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 2:07 pm by Sarah_Khan.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. While I liked how the characters' thoughts were described, the writing seemed formal. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. Since I do not usually read the genre, I will not be purchasing the book.

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 3:42 pm by AA1495.

Bfrisco

I don't think I would have looked into this book if it wasn't a book of the day. The title is a little ambiguous to me, and the cover doesn't really give me an idea of what the book is about. The description was definitely thorough enough to let me know what to expect when I read this, and the onlinebookclub review definitely piqued my interest. I feel the book was professionally edited. I enjoyed reading the sample, and I felt that the author really did an excellent job of transporting the reader into the time period of the book. I won't be reading any further, simply because it's not a genre that I typically read, but I may come back to it if I ever want to learn a little more about the history of this time period.

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 3:47 pm by Bfrisco.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would have read the book. The cover is beautiful and the book looks interesting. After reading the sample I have not changed my mind. The writing seemed very authentic and engaging. It was professionally edited. I read the official review and it mentioned the great characters, which made me want to read the book even more.

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 7:09 pm by psychopathycathy.

jamesabr

This book was nicely paced during the first ten pages. If I were not a part of the First Ten program, I would have sampled it due to the two Online Book Club reviews of it. I enjoyed both reviews, but I enjoyed the reading much more! Hattie and Alice were indirectly characterized very well in the first couple of pages, and the exposition wasn't forced at all. My favorite part occurred when Hattie helped Bonnie as the male hecklers troubled her outside of the hotel. This showed Hattie's caring side as well as her direct characterization in regards to the feminist movement. I will definitely purchase and read this book. There were no typos or grammatical errors in this book.

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 7:58 pm by jamesabr.

Kdonegan91

The cover and title immediately attracted me to this book. After reading the sample, I was on the fence about this book. Therefore, I read the OBC reviews. They inspired me to give this book a try. I will be purchasing this book. I wonder how Hattie balances motherhood and promoting her beliefs.

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 9:06 pm by Kdonegan91.

Vermont Reviews

In The Fullness of Time by Katherine P. Silverman the story of Hattie Barton of Calhoun S.C. comes alive showing the readers the early days of women suffrage. The march in the capital on march 3,1913.

I found the preview to be a great read and would have bought the book based on the preview. At this time my reading schedule is overbooked. I will not be downloading the book.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 10:15 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I think this book sounds really interesting and is definitely a good read for historical fiction buffs. Unfortunately this kind of story is not really my cup of tea. After the first ten pages, I like the writing style of the author but I don't think I will read the rest.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 12:05 am by CrescentMoon.

ananya92

This book is a sequel to Hattie's Place, and picks up the story from where the last one ended. From the sample, it is clear that the book has been professionally edited and the author's writing style is fairly engaging, especially since the book is dealing with the issue of women suffrage in 1913. Though the extremely positive review was encouraging, I found myself slightly confused while I read the sample. I cannot understand why Hattie would give up her independent existence to settle down with a man double her age, who already has four kids, and also asks her to give up her job as a teacher. It seems somehow incongruent that someone who is campaigning for gender equality would give up her independence and settle down so quietly into a domesticated life. I felt that it is was important to read the first installment to understand the context of the story, otherwise this book seems slightly abrupt. Therefore, I'll skip this one.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 3:16 am by ananya92.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this because I feel like this will make me very bored easily. I will not be reading this book because the first ten pages has made confused and it seems like there is a lot of political related stuff. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think it will affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 3:42 am by jungkookblog.

Gravy

The cover fits, both for what it is, and with the previous book. The blurb on Amazon is okay, but I have a problem with blurbs giving away the entire storyline, ending included. I know it can't give everything away, but it makes reading the actual book feel like a waste of my time. Perhaps if it were in a genre I read more of I'd feel differently, but I doubt it. To that end, historical is not my thing. While I will read it, it takes something for it to catch me. This one didn't, so I won't be reading it. The writing is enjoyable, and I noticed no errors. I would likely read this if it were my preferred genre.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 4:44 am by Gravy.

SandraTWP-BRW

The cover and title of this book, in and of themselves, are not motivational to me. They're nice, but they don't say much about the book at first glance. On the other hand, I found the plot summary fascinating. I enjoy well written historical fiction and this particular topic is very timely.

In reading the excerpt, I enjoyed two things about the writing in particular. First, the author does a good job summarizing the "back story." I am often hesitant to pick up the second book in a series if I haven't read the first. However, Dr. Stillerman does a great job of giving us the background and relationships between the characters without making us read through an entire summary of the first book. I felt completely confident I could read the balance of the book and enjoy it as a standalone story. Second, the descriptions of the surrounds and events provide a strong visual image of events and buildings in the period.

As an adult reader, I found myself *slightly* put off by the author's manner of explaining - sometimes, possibly over explaining - a historical situation or political climate. Occasionally, the writing felt a bit pedantic. However, I am not convinced that this is a flaw in the writing. This book reminds me strongly of the serials written for young people, especially young girls, and it's logical that tweens and young teens could need that extra informational support.

In the excerpt that I read, I noted no typographical or editorial errors.

I will definitely be reading the balance of this book. Literature for young people, and living books, in particular, are an area of interest for me. I also plan to check out the previous title in the series.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 7:54 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

L_Therese

I had chosen not to finish "Hattie's Place", so when I saw the sequel, I had some mixed feelings. It sounded like it could be a book worth reading, but should I really start with #2? Nearly as soon as I started reading the sample, though, my dilemma was solved. The quality of writing seemed juvenile, and the characters' dialogue was so unnatural that it was almost painful to read. I noticed no overt errors, but there seemed to be little artistry either.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 8:16 am by L_Therese.

hsimone

I love the sort of old-fashioned cover and the complementing title. The blurb is long and gives a lot about the story, which makes me wonder how much new information will I learn while reading. There are no customers, but two OBC ones - one rating of 4/4 and the other 3/4. In general, I would not have sampled this read because I haven't had the chance to read the first one and would like to before looking into this one.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I really like how the topic of Women Suffrage is brought up pretty quickly in the read. It definitely captures my attention. Also, Hattie seems like a sweet and likable character. However, due to it being the second in the series and I haven't read the first one, I do not plan on buying the book today.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 4:15 pm by hsimone.

chocomeiske

This cover is very boring and the subject matter is not something that interests me even though I appreciate the Suffragette movement and what they were able to achieve. I read the sample and felt it was very well-written. I could easily picture the setting and experience the emotions felt by Hattie. This book appears to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 5:59 pm by chocomeiske.

anneloretrujillo

I might have sampled this book based on the OBC review and blurb. I'm not usually into historical fiction, but the romance aspect that was mentioned in the blurb sounded interesting. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying the book. I wasn't really into the time period, and I wasn't drawn into the book the way I like to be. I did think it had good description and it seemed to be professionally edited. It just isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 11:21 pm by anneloretrujillo.

klbradley

This does seem like a book I would normally have chosen on my own because of the cover. The cover is beautiful and classic, which is a nice choice for a book that is said to jump back and forth in time. I am usually not a fan of books that do a lot or time hopping, just because I don't think they maintain the flow as well as a book that stays within the same time. I'm going to pass on this, but still give great appreciation for that beautiful cover!

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 6:33 am by klbradley.

Cjgarland89

I wouldn't have sampled this book normally although I find the topic of it to get unique and something I haven't seen much of. The sample started out decent with a detailed depiction of the parade but it was a bit slow. I don't typically read this genre and I won't be finishing this one for now. I didn't see any errors and the reading was very smooth.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 6:52 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 22%

This book earned a score of 22%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 22% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has In the Fullness of Time in their shelves?

More than 28 members have In the Fullness of Time in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

bookowlie

3-Star Shelf

CataclysmicKnight

4-Star Shelf

ashley_claire

Want To Read Shelf

ReadandRoll[

Want To Read Shelf