Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.4 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on January 3, 2017, at 1:47 pm by ashley_claire.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781683487166

Amanda Carter In The LAZ, Life After Zombies

by Jo Lee Auburne

The First Ten

Because Amanda Carter In The LAZ, Life After Zombies was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I may have sampled the book on my own as I love Post-Apocalyptic tales. The book started well, introducing Amanda and her plight, but the pace was far too slow for my taste. According to the official review, the entire book is like that. I didn't notice any major errors, but couldn't connect to the writing. I agree with the reviewer that it felt too formal at times. I won't read the book as it didn't grab me enough to want to finish it.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2017, at 11:08 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

jamesabr

This book has an interesting setting that I look forward to continue reading. If I were not a part of the First Ten program, I would have sampled this boo due to its genre and the positive review it received on OnlineBookClub. To me, the best part of the book was the beginning. Amanda’s mindset was very positive and analytical, given her situation, and I can tell that she will overcome her obstacles. I will definitely buy and read this book. There were no typos or grammatical errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2017, at 11:27 am by jamesabr.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

ananya92

This book narrates a post-apocalyptic tale, where zombies have taken over most of the world, and small bands of humans are struggling to survive. As the title suggests, the central focus of the book is life after zombies, and the author chooses to emphasize on the 'life' aspect more, rather than horrific zombies. The book focuses on the perils of surviving in a desert, under the constant threat of zombie attack and competition with other surviving groups for resources. The author's writing style is descriptive and vivid, which made the narration pretty interesting. The book could have done with better editing, though. Despite the largely positive review, and interesting sample, I'll skip this one, since I'm not a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2017, at 1:05 pm by ananya92.

James Craft

The cover and title of this book are interesting and well-thought out, but unfortunately it just feels like the zombie craze is over. This book will have to wait until they make a comeback, and right now I simply don't have any more room to add another zombie themed thing. That being said, the opening is strong, though the fact that the OBC review mentions proofreading as an issue is a negative because it means it would be even more difficult to read. All in all, looks like a good package just not interested right now.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2017, at 1:49 pm by James Craft.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would have sampled this book based on the title and cover. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be buying this book. I like the story line, but I think the wording of some of the sentences was kind of weird. I did like that the story seemed pretty realistic. However, I did not get as engaged as I thought I would have while reading the book. Based on the sample and the review, I decided not to read the book. The review brought up a few details that had me unsure of whether or not I wanted to read it. If I had been more engrossed in the sample, I probably would have ignored the review and bought it, but at this time I won't be. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2017, at 2:33 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Vermont Reviews

Amanda Carter In the L.A.Z. Life After Zombies by Jo Lee Auburn today's book of the day shows the readers the story of survival. The days were filled with life altering decisions that needed to be made on a daily basis. Living and survival was dangerous. With creeper and raiders to deal with.

One of my favorite lines from the story. "Always use the buddy system, never be without a weapon, and don't be afraid to use it."

Now that they were almost out of water things were becomingmore dangerous. Coming across strangers in the Laz was rarely a good thing.

Based on the preview I would have bought the book. At this time my reading schedule is overbooked. I will not be downloading the book.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 15, 2017, at 2:43 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Sarah_Khan

I like the cover art and title of this novel. I thought the blurb was poorly written which made me think the book would be written that way also.
After reading the first few pages, I was pleasantly surprised. The book itself is well-written and professionally edited. Unfortunately the plot does not seem unique enough for me to commit to, therefore I do not intend to read the rest.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2017, at 6:15 pm by Sarah_Khan.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't really think this book is for me. I have read too many books and seen too many movies about the apocalypse and zombie stories and survival stories that I am actually pretty sick of the genre. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be reading the rest. There seems to be a very slow start to the story and it may seem that the action will pick up later but I just can't get enough into the storyline to get there. I think this would be fitting for fans of the genre though.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2017, at 6:57 pm by CrescentMoon.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book. The cover is interesting. After reading the blurb, I have changed my mind. I felt that the writing style was the most off-putting, as the sentence structures felt very repetitive, which led to the writing feeling choppy. The official review mentioned grammatical errors, which made me not want to read the book.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2017, at 7:01 pm by psychopathycathy.

mratdegraff91

The bold print L.A.Z catches one's attention. It instantly pulled me in and had me curious. All I had to do was read the description of the book, and I was sold. I continued to sample the book and read the OnlineBookClub review to see more about the book. It seems like it has an interesting storyline with minimal errors. I did not observe any errors in the first ten pages, but it is mentioned in the review that there are some scattered throughout the book. I look forward to finishing this novel.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2017, at 7:30 pm by mratdegraff91.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have it. I don't read books with zombies usually. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I liked how the author created the atmosphere and described the character's thoughts. However, there were many descriptions. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. Since I do not read the theme usually, I will not be buying this book today.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2017, at 7:33 pm by AA1495.

Kdonegan91

Although the cover is interesting and the title is certainly unique, I was not interested by the book at first glance. I am not a fan of zombie themed books because they all seem to be written with similar plots, characters, and settings. After reading the sample, my opinion did not change. The sample reminded me a lot of The Walking Dead on television. I am not interested in the genre or storyline. I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on March 15, 2017, at 10:37 pm by Kdonegan91.

CataclysmicKnight

I LOVE zombies stuff. The Dead Rising series is one of my favorites in the video game world and The Walking Dead is easily one of the best shows of all time. A good zombie story is about desperate survivors, the horrors of how bad people can become and relationships between people. So far this book is encapsulating that very well, and I'm really enjoying my time with it. I'm a fan already!

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 1:10 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Bfrisco

I don't think I would have looked into this book if it wasn't a book of the day. After reading the official onlinebookclub review, I might have, however. I enjoyed the sample a lot more than I expected. The book appeared to be professionally edited to me, but the review did specifically mention a few issues with incorrect words being used. I wish I could say I was going to buy and read this book, because it actually sounds very appealing to me, but I try to avoid zombie books in general. I'm a little sensitive to violence, and that tends to go hand in hand with zombie stories. I think the author did an excellent job describing the environment and the character's motivations.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 1:26 am by Bfrisco.

Gravy

This is something I would look at. The fact that it's a character driven zombie apocalypse novel had me itching to sample it. If there were errors (the reviewer stated there were many), I didn't notice them.
I love the cover, and I enjoyed the sample (though it didn't grab me like I thought would). I may come back to this at a later date. I prefer physical books, and I can't excuse that much for a trade paperback at this time, so my answer (for now at least) is no.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 2:36 am by Gravy.

L_Therese

I've read quite a few zombie-apocalypse novels, and I enjoy it when the author takes the time to build the scenario and show how the world works now. It's a good concept that allows for a lot of creativity. However, the OBC review indicated that although the character development was exemplary in this novel, the editing was not. I noticed this in just the first few pages with an apostrophe that shouldn't have existed. If a book's plot keeps it moving at a rapid pace, the reader might not notice the errors so much, but in a book where you experience the novel deeply instead of quickly, the errors are huge distractions. I'm interested, but not enough to purchase the book when it's still riddled with errors.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 3:16 am by L_Therese.

SandraTWP-BRW

The cover of this book is great. It communicates so much with its composition, the color choices, and the desert road imagery. I was really interested after reading the blurb, but a little concerned because a review I read mentioned a lot of editorial errors.

I loved the excerpt that I read. The characters of Amanda and Maryanne were very realistic and quickly established in the story. The impact of living in the desert was also extremely well portrayed, including the dangers it presented without the benefits of modern society.

I did not notice any editorial errors myself in the excerpt that I read.

I will not be finishing reading this book at this time, but I have added it to my Amazon wishlist.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 9:22 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

bookowlie

I don't read a lot of science fiction, but the summary blurb of this book intrigued me. The summary is well written and gave me just enough to whet my appetite for more. I also liked the eye-catching cover and cool title. Unfortunately, I found the writing in the sample pages a bit slow-paced and the story didn't spark my interest.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 12:18 pm by bookowlie.

MarisaRose

"Amanda Carter in the LAZ, Life After Zombies" is not a book I would typically choose to read. I'm not a fan of zombie or post apocalyptic stories as I feel they have been so overdone. Further, the cover of the book doesn't really pull me in. After reading the positive OBC review I decided to sample the first ten pages for this program. I enjoyed the author's writing style; the scene was nicely set with eerie, interesting descriptions. The author does a good job creating suspense, I am interested to find out more about Amanda, why she is alone, where she is going, etc. I did not note any errors in the beginning sample. After reading the first ten pages, I can see why this book would appeal to many people. Though I found the sample to be intriguing, I do not plan to continue reading the book as I just don't think it is something I will like overall.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 1:14 pm by MarisaRose.

Momlovesbooks

I love watching TWD and read many apocalyptic novels. I was interested once I saw the title. The description presented this one as a slightly different take on the end of the world as we know it. I read the sample and knew I'd be buying this one.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 4:04 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Cjgarland89

At first glance I wasn't interested in this book. I'm not much for post apocalyptic books and the review wasn't very flattering of the book. The cover and title were simple enough and descriptive of the book. After sampling I will not be buying the book, I couldn't dive into it and this just isn't a genre I typically read.

First Ten review added on March 17, 2017, at 12:23 am by Cjgarland89.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read/sample this book because of the genre (zombies!) and the customer reviews on Amazon.

I'm not going to buy and read the whole book at this time. The price is above my eBook spending limit. However, I will keep an eye on this one in case it goes on sale for a lower price.

The book seems professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

I really liked the authentic feel of the story. It was obvious what kind of world Amanda is now living in. I was reminded of shows like The Walking Dead, where they don't always focus on the zombies as much as how the survivors deal with what they're left with, and even how they hide when necessary.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on March 17, 2017, at 3:19 am by truebookaddict.

chocomeiske

I'm not a huge zombie novel fan so if not for this program, I wouldn't have read a sample of this book. The sample was easy to get into, it starts off with the main character in a cave doing research and pretty soon she finds out that there is a zombie infection. I felt the sample was intriguing enough to make me want to read more even though I' not a fan of the sub-genre. This book has been well-edited.

First Ten review added on March 17, 2017, at 5:59 am by chocomeiske.

hsimone

The cover is not very appealing to me - it's a bit bland; the title is a bit long; the blurb is interesting, but gives the impression of a typical zombie tale; though the reviews are fairly positive, I would not have sampled this read without this program. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I like the easy-flow writing style the author portrays here; it is simple to follow. However, I find that the story may not be very unique with the several zombie tales out there - being in an enclosed shelter, seeing if certain things are salvageable, life is dangerous, etc. Because of this, I do not plan on purchasing this book today.

First Ten review added on March 17, 2017, at 7:54 am by hsimone.

Total ~ 17%

This book earned a score of 17%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 17% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Amanda Carter In The LAZ, Life After Zombies in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Amanda Carter In The LAZ, Life After Zombies in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

bluemel4

Want To Read Shelf

ashley_claire

3-Star Shelf

Elena_D

Want To Read Shelf

boringyanks

Want To Read Shelf